Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

13 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And can someone Please tell me just HOW Ra's Al Ghul is supposed to be pronounced? In the animated series, they had it as "Raysh," and that's how Timm and company said it. But Batman Begins pronounced it as "Rozzz.

Well personally, I pronounce it, Gossip Ghul because in Arrow he was a gossip.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, dtissagirl said:

One of the Arrow producers said something like -- they settled it by characters who were in the LoA said Raysh, characters who weren't said Rozz.

Well Malcolm was in the League and he pronounced it as "Rozz." And even when he "became" the Demon's Head.

Don't get me started on that whole story line or I'll end up breaking the internet. I decided to just to concentrate on the name.?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well Malcolm was in the League and he pronounced it as "Rozz." And even when he "became" the Demon's Head.

I think that can be fanwanked as Malcolm actively disrespecting Ra's.

On Stargate SG-1 they had characters saying "goa'uld" with several different pronunciations on purpose, to portray levels of derision. I can fawank Arrow doing the same with Ra's.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, dtissagirl said:

I think that can be fanwanked as Malcolm actively disrespecting Ra's.

On Stargate SG-1 they had characters saying "goa'uld" with several different pronunciations on purpose, to portray levels of derision. I can fawank Arrow doing the same with Ra's.

New head!canon accepted

• Love 2

Marc and Greg also wrote Brothers and Sisters although I'm not sure whether they were show runners. They clearly have talent for character centered drama and how to respectfully write story for an ensemble of characters but either find the comic genre and action genre constricting or being a CW constricting probably both. 

• Love 2

I suppose I can post this here since it does include the universes and if it wasn't for Smallville then we wouldn't have Arrow, Flash

And since I read here that the Queen Manse is actually the Luthor Mansion, as I'm rewatching Smallville, every time I see the Luthor mansion and the different rooms, I'm finding myself saying, oh! That's the main family room of the Queens! Oh, and that's the room where Oliver and Thea sat down to watch tv and munch on popcorn! The one difference I've noticed is that the front door is perpendicular to the main staircase on Smallville, whereas on this show it's facing the front door. I think. They're all blurring together, heh.

• Love 1

I'm thinking that they just used the exterior shots of the mansion.  I may have not been clear when we talked about it before.  I assume that the interior shots were all sound stage stuff for both Smallville and Arrow.  There was a distinct overlap in style though and yeah, a couple staircases have had me double taking. 

• Love 1
On 12/27/2016 at 9:17 PM, LeighAn said:

Marc and Greg also wrote Brothers and Sisters although I'm not sure whether they were show runners. They clearly have talent for character centered drama and how to respectfully write story for an ensemble of characters but either find the comic genre and action genre constricting or being a CW constricting probably both. 

I don't think Marc had anything to do with B&S. It was a Berlanti showrunning production. GB is the one that has the lion's share of talent for character centered drama. His resume is littered with character driven projects, he really has a talent for it. I loved B&S, it was amazing - but you can definitely see when GB left to move other projects. You can feel his lack of presences. I never doubt a Berlanti project until he picks up a new project which will pull his attention away. For me its the same with JJ Abrams. They are genius & creative minds, but they tend to be in such demand that when they move on to newer projects - the shows they leave behind do not always thrive in their absence.

On 12/27/2016 at 8:06 PM, BkWurm1 said:

I have to confess that I'll never be able to completely hate either Berlanti or MG since they are the ones that gave me George Michael hallucinations on Prime Time Television.  That's a lifetime worth of forgiveness right there.  

Seriously, MG being responsible for Eli Stone was an absolutely shocker for me. It would not be something that I would see as his wheelhouse. That was such an awesome and underappreciated show. VG & Jonny Lee Miller were magnificent in it. It also bums me out that we never got to see more seasons. There were so many things I wanted answered and so many more Dance Numbers to see.

• Love 1

Actually Marc was on the writing team for Brothers and Sisters although his writing credits end after season 2 so he may not have been there for the whole run. I don't think he had the same amount of influence or control as he does with Arrow and Legends but I recall reading interviews where he spoke about how he used his past as a lawyer as influence on the character Kevin (why he couldn't make Laurel as smart and endearing as Kevin I'm not sure). 

• Love 4

Bringing this back to the sort of relating to the thread if Berlanti and co created Eli Stone which I haven't watched but Im assuming was musical based and it's as good as you guys say does this mean The Flash musical isn't going to be as cringe inducing embarrassing as Im expecting it to be? Are they actually good at musical/dance numbers? 

I mean I enjoyed the humor of the Buffy musical and how smart the writers were in exploring the genre in a way that makes sense to the story/show and meaningfully explores the characters but it's because of how smart it was that it was a passable musical Ep for me but I've seen a lot of truly bad musical episodes since then Greys, Gilmore Girl Revival, That's 70s show HIMYM (even though I love NPH) to name some of the worst.

The only musical episodes I've enjoyed is the Daria musical, any musical number on South Park and the Glee parody ep in Community. 

Itll be interesting to see if Berlanti verse fall on the Greys musical scale or the Buffy Once More with feeling side of the scale.

Thanks @LeighAn, I never knew that. I thought it was just a Berlanti project. Now I'm curious which episodes he was responsible for. I do think he did not have a lot of influence. GB ran the show. Honestly, MG being responsible for Kevin makes perfect sense now. I always found Kevin a little insufferable. I attribute all of his endearing qualities to Matthew Rhys, who is amazing and definitely elevated Kevin. If left in another actor's hands, I'm not sure if Kevin would have been successful.

Ken Olin who was involved in B&S is now I think involved in "This is Us", which for me is 2nd coming of B&S. It has all the fabulous acting and the natural organic drama/comedy storytelling that comes from everyday life. If you liked B&S, and are not already watching TIU, I highly recommend it, it's probably one of the best new series in a few years.

1 minute ago, LeighAn said:

Bringing this back to the sort of relating to the thread if Berlanti and co created Eli Stone which I haven't watched but Im assuming was musical based and it's as good as you guys say does this mean The Flash musical isn't going to be as cringe inducing embarrassing as Im expecting it to be? Are they actually good at musical/dance numbers? 

I mean I enjoyed the humor of the Buffy musical and how smart the writers were in exploring the genre in a way that makes sense to the story/show and meaningfully explores the characters but it's because of how smart it was that it was a passable musical Ep for me but I've seen a lot of truly bad musical episodes since then Greys, Gilmore Girl Revival, That's 70s show HIMYM (even though I love NPH) to name some of the worst.

The only musical episodes I've enjoyed is the Daria musical, any musical number on South Park and the Glee parody ep in Community. 

Itll be interesting to see if Berlanti verse fall on the Greys musical scale or the Buffy Once More with feeling side of the scale.

I thought they were very good. The key to a good musical episode, is to not try to be a musical. Otherwise it seems forced and corny. Eli Stone, had a different premise, so having musical scenes was not too disruptive to the narrative. I do think the Flash team will be able to pull it off. I also think having Grant Gustin & Melissa Benoist in the show will help. They were both good in Glee, which actually seamlessly integrated music.

I'm looking forward to the musical crossover, I do think it is exciting for them to tackle. And with that depth of musical talent in Flarroverse, it would be a crime not to a have a musical episode.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, kismet said:

Thanks @LeighAn, I never knew that.

Ken Olin who was involved in B&S is now I think involved in "This is Us", which for me is 2nd coming of B&S. It has all the fabulous acting and the natural organic drama/comedy storytelling that comes from everyday life. If you liked B&S, and are not already watching TIU, I highly recommend it, it's probably one of the best new series in a few years.

You're welcome! Kevin and Kitty were my favourite characters in a lot of great characters. But I agree Matthew Rhys should be given credit for the character as he made it his own.

Im with you on This is Us being a companion piece to Brothers and Sisters. One of the reasons why I prefer This is Us and Brothers and Sisters to say Parenthood as I don't feel like those shows are as emotionally manipulative. That's not to put down Parenthood which is also well written and acted but I like that there is some humor and fluffiness to Brothers and Sisters and This is Us and where as Parenthood felt to me like a "How can we make the audience cry this week" show haha.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, kismet said:

I thought they were very good. The key to a good musical episode, is to not try to be a musical. Otherwise it seems forced and corny. Eli Stone, had a different premise, so having musical scenes was not too disruptive to the narrative. I do think the Flash team will be able to pull it off. I also think having Grant Gustin & Melissa Benoist in the show will help. They were both good in Glee, which actually seamlessly integrated music.

I'm looking forward to the musical crossover, I do think it is exciting for them to tackle. And with that depth of musical talent in Flarroverse, it would be a crime not to a have a musical episode.

I'm curious to see who from Arrow and Legends appears. Wasn't there an article where they said characters from other shows may make an appearance?

Im wary but I'm willing to be surprised. I was wary of the Buffy musical to before I watched it. I'm just hoping they have a good premise for why characters are randomly breaking out in song and dance numbers haha. 

Well, I can think of an easy explanation for the singing right off the top of my head. Music Meister. They could probably even get Neil Patrick Harris to do it.

To me that's such an easy premise for a musical episode that I'd be shocked if they didn't use it.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, kismet said:

Thanks @LeighAn, I never knew that. I thought it was just a Berlanti project. Now I'm curious which episodes he was responsible for. I do think he did not have a lot of influence. GB ran the show. Honestly, MG being responsible for Kevin makes perfect sense now. I always found Kevin a little insufferable. I attribute all of his endearing qualities to Matthew Rhys, who is amazing and definitely elevated Kevin. If left in another actor's hands, I'm not sure if Kevin would have been successful.

You can always look up writing credits on IMDb.

MG wrote Three Parties and Mistakes were Made: Part 2. He is listed as a "Consulting Producer" for 2006-2007, he basically worked on the show for 1 season. He didn't have much power or influence over characters or storylines.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Well, I can think of an easy explanation for the singing right off the top of my head. Music Meister. They could probably even get Neil Patrick Harris to do it.

To me that's such an easy premise for a musical episode that I'd be shocked if they didn't use it.

I've been wanting this for years. That episode of Batman, the Brave and the Bold was about the funniest thing I'd seen.  

I got the impression though that they were going to do the musical episode as more internal monologues rather than really singing out loud.  Or at least that was the initial info that came out long before they actually started writing it.  

• Love 2

I've wanted to see Grant sing ever since I learned he was on Glee, and that one line from "Summer Lovin'" in the first season doesn't count because it was only seven words and then Danielle/Caitlin made my ears bleed when I had to suffer through her massacring one of my favorite songs. 

And then my hopes were dashed when he appeared on Supergirl, and I didn't get any singing!

It doesn't have to be a musical episode-I don't care what the reason is, so another karaoke, I.DON'T.CARE. I just want to hear them sing!

What?

• Love 4

We Counted All The Superheroes That Appeared In The DC/CW Universe This Year
Russ Burlingame- 12/27/2016
http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/12/27/we-counted-all-the-superheroes-that-appeared-in-the-dc-cw-univer/

Here's what we came up with: a list of superheroes who have appeared on Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow, and DC's Legends of Tomorrow in no particular order:

1. The Flash (The Flash)
2. Vibe The Flash
3. Green Arrow (Arrow)
4. Felicity Smoak(Arrow)
5. Black Canary(Arrow)
6. Speedy(Arrow)
7. The Atom (DC's Legends of Tomorrow)
8. White Canary (DC's Legends of Tomorrow)
. . .
15. Supergirl (Supergirl)
. . .
21. John Diggle/Spartan (Arrow)
22. Lyla Michaels (Arrow)
23. Guardian/James Olsen (Supergirl)
24. Arsenal (Arrow)
25. Nyssa Raatko (Arrow)
26. John Constantine (Arrow)
27. Vixen (Arrow)
28. Mr. Terrific (Arrow)
29. Wild Dog (Arrow)
30. Ragman (Arrow)
31. Human Target (Arrow)
32. Connor Hawke (DC's Legends of Tomorrow)
. . .
41. Superman (Supergirl)
. . .
44. Katana (Arrow)
45. Amanda Waller (Arrow)
There are likely some folks who would dispute Felicity Smoak's inclusion while leaving off other "team members" like Winn Schott or H.R. Wells on the grounds that they don't have powers. The reasoning there is simple: Felicity has proven herself in the field numerous times, not only for her hacking skills, but for her ability to at least hold her own in a fight and keep enemies occupied until Oliver and the others arrive. 

Another arguably interesting element here is the idea of legacy. We have sidekicks, second versions, and the like represented here for Green Arrow, Vixen, The Flash, and Commander Steel. That, of course, has historically been a big part of DC's identity and something that Marvel rarely embraces in exactly the same way.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 9

16 epic 2016 TV moments
SCREENER STAFF   DECEMBER 28, 2016
http://screenertv.com/television/2016-epic-tv-moments-people-vs-oj-the-walking-dead-and-more/

1. Supergirl teams up with Flash & Arrow on 'The Flash'
.  .  .
When: Season 3, episode 8 -- “Invasion!’'

Why is was so epic: When "Supergirl" moved to The CW, it was only a matter of time until a full-fledged crossover happened -- and when it did, it most certainly met the hype. Supergirl was a natural fit for the world of the Flash and Arrow, and proved to be an incredible asset to the team as they battled the Dominators. Plus it left us aching for more!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

TV’s craziest action scenes of 2016
DEREK LAWRENCE DECEMBER 26, 2016 AT 10:39AM EST
http://ew.com/tv/2016/12/26/craziest-tv-action-scenes-2016/

DC Heroes face off: A not-so-civil war

It wasn’t the epic battle in Captain America: Civil War, but it was pretty damn close. While the four-night crossover of The CW’s DC series had a lot of great moments, the most thrilling was Flash (Grant Gustin) and Green Arrow (Stephen Amell) facing off against their superhero friends, thanks to the Dominators taking control of their minds. Seeing Flash try to outrace Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and Arrow fight the White Canary (Caity Lotz) one-on-one was worth the price of admission.
Team ‘Arrow’ faces its demons

The monumental DC television crossover took a slight detour during the Arrow portion, sending Starling City alums Oliver (Amell), Diggle (David Ramsey), Thea (Willa Holland), Sara (Lotz), and Ray (Brandon Routh) into an alternate reality, courtesy of the Dominators. After finally realizing what happened and ready to leave, the heroes went up against their greatest adversaries: Malcolm Merlyn (John Barrowman), Damien Darhk (Neal McDonough), and Slade Wilson (Manu Bennett). What ensued was an incredible battle royale, which even featured the super villains being taken out in similar fashion to their real-life selves.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

There are likely some folks who would dispute Felicity Smoak's inclusion while leaving off other "team members" like Winn Schott or H.R. Wells on the grounds that they don't have powers. The reasoning there is simple: Felicity has proven herself in the field numerous times, not only for her hacking skills, but for her ability to at least hold her own in a fight and keep enemies occupied until Oliver and the others arrive. 

Wow, maybe there is hope yet.

• Love 8

Is it maybe a subliminal thing that now Felicity has a code name they are willing to accept her on the list (even if they don't seem to remember she has one)?  Or my other theory, they just didn't want to deal with the backlash if they'd left her off the list.  ;)

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Is it maybe a subliminal thing that now Felicity has a code name they are willing to accept her on the list (even if they don't seem to remember she has one)?  Or my other theory, they just didn't want to deal with the backlash if they'd left her off the list.  ;)

Perhaps it's because her codename is dumb and seems to be chosen because it suited MG's ego. Sorry not sorry, but I will never like her codename. I think she deserved one, I just wish they had chosen better.

Although, a lot of the other females code names were left off the list, so maybe it's a how the character is generally referred to on the show.

• Love 4

Snart wasn't even in the mega crossover...

Ten Moments that Mattered: The CW's Shared #DCTV Universe
Tim Beedle  Dec. 29, 2016
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/12/29/ten-moments-that-mattered-the-cws-shared-dctv-universe?sf48693084=1

And we hope it’s appropriate frequently. Kara harbors a sense of wonder and enthusiasm that the other heroes lack. The onscreen energy and chemistry between the characters is much different when she’s there among them. While the heart of The CW’s #DCTV Universe may be the relationship between Oliver and Barry, one could easily see Kara being added to the mix, forming a different—but no less exciting—take on the classic DC trinity.
Of course, Supergirl joining the lineup also broadened the canvas considerably. The CW’s shared universe now includes four uniquely diverse shows (five if you count CW Seed’s animated Vixen) with large casts that are capable of interacting with each other in surprising ways....
It demonstrates the unparalleled opportunity The CW now has with these shows. Narrative threads can be woven into all four of them, blossoming in different ways, and ultimately resulting in the characters coming together in crossover episodes that will have more impact than ever before. It’s something that has long been done in the world of comics, and while other shows have come close, The CW’s four interconnected DC shows are primed to be the first to make good use of it on the small screen.

C03roMMWgAArOmB.jpg

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Women power: A super year for female heroes on screen
By Sharon Eberson  December 30, 2016 
http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/movies/2016/12/30/Women-Power-A-super-year-for-female-heroes-on-screen/stories/201612280006

It was a banner year for female heroes on screens big and small, with more on the way in 2017. Here are some examples of women flexing their muscles now and into the future:
• TV’s “Supergirl” survived a move from CBS to The CW, joining male DC Comic heroes Green Arrow and The Flash as series leads on that network.

• DC at the movies this year introduced Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman in “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.” On June 2, she’ll be the title heroine in her own origin story, directed by Patty Jenkins.

Edited by tv echo
36 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

That pic in the DC moments article implies that Wentworth Miller was the lead on Lot when it was really Caity Lotz/ Sara.  That's kind of annoying.

Well it makes sense... Miller is way more known than Lotz.

5 hours ago, wonderwall said:

Well it makes sense... Miller is way more known than Lotz.

What difference does that make? They are showing the 3 leads of the other DC shows but not the de facto lead cum actual lead of LoTin Caity Lotz. Heck they could have gone Brandon Routh or Victor Garber if they were going with really well known actors on LoT. 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Maybe he's on there because he's in one of the moments that mattered, and Sara isn't. 

But having Flash, Arrow and Supergirl and talking about the crossover implies that Miller was a crucial part of the crossover but he wasn't.I still find it annoying.  But that's just me. YMMV.

• Love 2