Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Chaser said:

What would KC come back too? I'm genuinely curious about what you think Laurel would contribute? The DA position had been filled. 

Hide contents

And a nuBC seems to be coming.

Which makes me wonder why a big KC fan would want her on any of the shows. They said they had reached a plateau for the character but 

Hide contents

Both positions are being filled

That tells me the actress was the one they wanted out.

Oh I am sure they wanted her out but as far as what she could contribute, kill off the DA just like they did Felicitys new boo. Or kill off the new BC, they are good at that. Or send her off to time travel with her sis.

Edited by Primal Slayer

I kept expecting that they would give the "DA by day, vigilante by night/how do I justify lawless while upholding the law" story to Laurel. I have no idea why they didn't but they're giving it to Chase now.

2 hours ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Another Earth's LL again? But would she be good or evil? And I don't want LL to become a Harrison Wells situation with different Earths' LLs showing up.

Tom Cavanaugh is a versatile actor but even with that I'm getting tired of a different Wells each season.

Katie Cassidy, on the other hand, is good at a specific kind of acting which for some reason this show refused to do.  I believed her when she was blackmailing to get her job back or angry enough to throw a glass of wine, or even determined to Pit Sara and to hell with the consequences; I didn't believe her when she cared about her mother after the Sanctuary episode.  If they had let her go dark, as they are letting Chase be dark this season, I think Laurel would have been more successful.  Instead, they kept trying to make her in to St. Laurel, always trying to save the world, which didn't work at all the first four seasons and is finally working now when KC's not actually on the show.  I think it's a classic case of not being able to give up your Mary Sue-type thinking, and I think AK was a big part of that mess.

If KC plays the Black Siren, I'm interested because that's a better role for her than the Black Canary was.  But if she's on for a redemption arc and the shows goes back to writing her as St. Laurel, no thanks.

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Tom Cavanaugh is a versatile actor but even with that I'm getting tired of a different Wells each season.

If KC plays the Black Siren, I'm interested because that's a better role for her than the Black Canary was.  But if she's on for a redemption arc and the shows goes back to writing her as St. Laurel, no thanks.

I agree about Wells -- especially since I liked Harry! I didn't want to see him go and I hoped that nothing would come of the search across Earths. Cannot stand HR. But still love TC, so I want him around. I hope they bring back Harry and send HR home/kill him off/something -- and soon. I don't know if I can sit through, what, 14 more episodes of HR?

I can take Black Siren for another Flash episode or two, but I think KC is much better at playing evil characters and I wish the Arrowverse would let her. Don't redeem BS. (I half expect them to forget she was working with Zoom if they do try to redeem her though. To make it easier. They seem to just forget everything about LL that doesn't let her be remembered as St Laurel and they'll probably do the same if they redeem BS because she's the E-2 version of her.)

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Flashpoint 2.0 nuff said or Flashpoint 1.0 where Barry did something that undid Oliver revealing Laurel was BC.

Basically, there is no role for her this season. They would need to kill off another character or alter the timeline. So why bring KC back?

• Love 3

We still got half of season left of a certain scarlet Speedster and some Legends who can do whats needed. And well she is technically back as we saw in 5x09. Yeah it 99% isnt her but still 1% is 1%.

Edited by Primal Slayer

I will circle back to my original question, if they were to bring her back what is her relevance since they have a new DA and 

Spoiler

Seem to be creating a new nuBC. 

Arrow doesn't need the character. I don't see how Flash and LOT do either.

I do realize this is a rather pointless conversation because minds won't be changed and sometimes you just want your fav back on TV regularly. I guess I just want someone to explain to me her narrative purpose in S5.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I guess I just want someone to explain to me her narrative purpose in S5.

So far her only purpose has been to:

1. Give Oliver some closure regarding treating her like human garbage when she was alive and

Spoiler

Use her memory and dying wish as the motivating factor to bring in someone to replace her

Doesn't scream "she's coming back on the show" to me, but anything's possible in this universe, I suppose. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 4

Presuming this will be a BS redemption story line, I hope it fails miserably. I'm perfectly fine with BS faking like she's seen the light, then we'll get a reveal to the audience knowing that she's lying. Makes more sense than the specter of E1LL makes BS turn good. KC's great at playing a bitchy bad girl - let her shine. (Then let her leave permanently.)

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

I do wonder when KC is appearing on LOT. They are on episode 13, so they only have 4 episodes left. 

Didn't they get a few more more episodes recently, bumping the count up to 16 or 17?

I will circle back to my original question, if they were to bring her back what is her relevance

Let me see what I can come up with if I were to take this as a serious question.  When last we saw her, Laurel was doubling down on her life in the mask, so we have to assume that she would put the suit and mask back on and get back out there.  There could be a story between her and Thea and Thea not understanding how Laurel could want to go back to that life, maybe even a combined effort between Thea and Quentin to try and get in her way or at least delay it.

Resolution would be Thea coming back around to why she too wants don the mask (or permanently decides she doesn't but still supports and believes in those that do) and Quentin...gah, this one's tough but Laurel could flip the script since how many years did she have to worry about her father, the cop, never coming home from work?  So he would have to understand but still, her death broke him.  Still, it's Laurel, so knowing that isn't going to change who she is (and to be fair, I would not expect Sara to change just cause of what happened to Laurel and neither did Quentin) so maybe Laurel could help her dad deal with those emotions and maybe be the one to push him into rekindling his relationship with Donna, since I'm going to assume he pushed her away in part because of his grief and guilt.  

Technically, she could also be the one to ask a few pointed question about Oliver to Felicity (not about Felicity to Oliver cause that would come off as her fishing for hope) while maybe she and Felicity worked together to help out their parents reconnect (especially if one of the problems between them was lack of support from kids or resentment that one still had their child or even fear since what happened to Quentin could have made Donna too constantly aware of Felicity's risks.)  

That said, I wouldn't want anything more from Laurel and Felicity than helping their parents or her being a way to hear Felicity's PoV.  No playing cupid for Olicity.  Just no.  But I would like Laurel to come to realize that she had issues when it came to being hung up on Oliver and that it wasn't based in reality or at all healthy.  I want her to understand why (and then maybe I could, lol) So let her confront her issues and own them for the weird thing they are.  And then realize why she hadn't been able to let that dream go and here's the key...finally be totally over it.  

With the new recruits, she could continue to be the cautionary tale. Maybe turn some (or all) of their training over to her (thus freeing up OTA to talk to each other, lol) Maybe that would even be part of Thea's stall, convincing her the best way to hone her skills is training the newbs.   

She's presumed dead to the city so she would have to decide if she wanted to stay "dead" or reclaim her life.  Given that her identity had been outed, staying "dead" would make sense, so another part of her story would be becoming a new person with a new identity.  

That would IMO be the resolution to her story. She really doesn't have a long term reason to be around on the show, not beyond a few months.  She can't ever have a life beyond putting on the mask unless she left Star City and went somewhere they wouldn't know her.  Leaving would also keep her father from becoming so emotionally dependent on her.  Give them the distance they need to be strong on their own.  And let Laurel finally really put Oliver in her past. 

Oh!!  She could have bonded so well with Rene and Curtis that they leave with her to form their own team in another town!!!!!  Just for that last one I'm going to say...

BRING BACK LAUREL!

Just kidding.  ;)

Edited by BkWurm1
I couldn't do it. I couldn't leave it as a plea to bring back Laurel. It would be like putting it out in the universe when I know better, and I just can't take that kind of risk without absolute guarantees that it would go perfectly.
  • Love 4

@BkWurm1, those are really good ideas.  I especially like idea idea of resolving things with Quentin and Oliver.  Unfortunately I don't believe these EPs will think of anything like that.

2 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

Presuming this will be a BS redemption story line, I hope it fails miserably. I'm perfectly fine with BS faking like she's seen the light, then we'll get a reveal to the audience knowing that she's lying. Makes more sense than the specter of E1LL makes BS turn good. KC's great at playing a bitchy bad girl - let her shine.

This is what I'm afraid will happen, that knowing what a saint Laurel was, and with Oliver's help, BS will be redeemed.  It's such a gutless way to go, especially when you contrast it with Robert Carlyle's determination not to let them redeem Rumple on OUaT because it would be weakening the character.   (The Arrow writers seem to be doing a 'Regina' on Laurel, always trying to redeem her and making the character less effective when they do.)

• Love 3

I'd like to preface what I'm about to post that before I caved and watched this show, first marathon watching on Netflix because of insomnia, and then buying all four seasons and marathon watching again, and fast forwarding, to make sure none of the discs were defective, that I had been unfamiliar/didn't know who any of the actors that were cast for this show, except for Susanna Thompson (I knew her from her recurring stint on NCIS) and Colin Salmon, as MI agent Charles in the Pierce Brosnan James Bond movies. Oh! And Jamey Sheridan of course! And I never ventured into this show's forums, either here or on TWoP, after I stopped watching after the first two episodes four years ago.

Ahem.

There's so much in my head, and I'm not sure where to post them all, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. But since I'm reading this thread, I'm biting the bullet, and posting this with some trepidation.

I hate that Laurel's death suddenly canonized her to the point where other people, like Oliver and Thea were all doing a "What Would Laurel Say or Do?" Nonsense. As if she was the one who formed the team or such bullshit.

I'm almost afraid to ask how Oliver treated her like "human garbage" when she was alive? Her character is the most shallow, self absorbed and self centered one I've come across since Lana Lang. 

For me, it was Laurel who treated Oliver like human garbage for the first two or three seasons, and other than Oliver not caring for her donning the Black Canary mantle, ripping into her after she picked up on Oliver and Sara getting back together after she returned, and then for her not telling him that she resurrected a year old corpse of Sara, because the grief was all consuming (which I didn't see), I got nothing. Yes, Oliver was an asshole to TOMMY and not being a good friend when he screwed Laurel near the end of the first season.

As you may be able to discern, I'm not a fan of the character; nor do I think the actress who played her is a very good one. I got too many vibes of Lana Lang from her, and it's a well known fact how much I despise that particular character from Smallville. The comic/toon versions of her? LOVE.

And now I'll go back to my corner and put on my flak jacket and helmet.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 20
24 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm almost afraid to ask how Oliver treated her like "human garbage" when she was alive? Her character is the most shallow, self absorbed and self centered one I've come across since Lana Lang. 

I should've clarified - I don't think that he treated her like garbage as far as their friendship and working relationship was concerned.  He did treat her terribly as a romantic partner nearly every chance he got (and that's what he was getting closure on in the 100th, and why I mentioned that as one of her purposes in showing up this season). He certainly didn't treat her well enough for her to consider him the love of her life. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 5
Just now, apinknightmare said:

I should've clarified - I don't think that he treated her like garbage as far as their friendship and working relationship was concerned.  He did treat her terribly as a romantic partner nearly every chance he got (and that's what he was getting closure on in the 100th, and why I mentioned that as one of her purposes in showing up this season). He certainly didn't treat her well enough for her to consider him the love of her freaking life. 

Ah. And yes, I do agree with that. I was doing some massive eye rolling when she said that to him when she was dying. They were toxic to each other, which is ironic, because I am aware of the characters' canon in the comics. Hell, I enjoyed them in JLU, even though it was Scotty Baldwin playing Ollie.

I mean, from what I could see, or rather, how it played to me onscreen, why the writers, producers, whoevers, tried to force this great love Oliver had for Laurel, when every time he looked at her, his eyes were dead, and yet, whenever he looked at Felicity, he just...and I know this sounds corny, but he just lit up and was so much more engaged.

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Around these parts we call it Involuntary Constipated Face Syndrome. It's a very serious disease Steve Amell has been battling for five years whenever Oliver is anywhere near Laurel.

see also: NOPE face

• Love 19

I am trying to stop shipping Olicity and I find Olicity to have the opposite problem to NOPE face. 

He kinda looks like he wants to jump her. There was this super weird scene in season 2 where she was giving him a pep talk about Slade and he looked like he was going to dive in for a snog.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I am trying to stop shipping Olicity and I find Olicity to have the opposite problem to NOPE face. 

He kinda looks like he wants to jump her. There was this super weird scene in season 2 where she was giving him a pep talk about Slade and he looked like he was going to dive in for a snog.

When he was in his super secret extra bunker?  Yup, I really thought he was going in for the kiss.  

There's no way I'll ever stop shipping and I hope SA's face never does either.  

• Love 19
5 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

When he was in his super secret extra bunker?  Yup, I really thought he was going in for the kiss.  

There's no way I'll ever stop shipping and I hope SA's face never does either.  

Yes I think it was that one. The one where he was moping by himself and then Dig and Felicity found him. He soooo looked like he wanted to kiss/jump her or something even though I'm sure it wasn't supposed to be a romantic scene!

I'm trying to stop shipping I really am (and going about it badly by watching old clips). 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Why stop shipping Olicity?

• Love 3
Just now, catrox14 said:

Why stop shipping Olicity?

Too much stress!!!!!

I spent 20 minutes at my last girls outing raving about Olicity and how I can't have nice things because they're not together why they were ruining my otherwise perfectly normal life. The girls think I'm nuts! My husband thinks I'm nuts!

I NEED TO STOP SHIPPING!!!!!

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Or just hide it better, lol.  You just have to know your audience and where to let the crazy out.  ;)  That's we are here for.  

My low point was when my 4yo asked me why I looked cross. I told him I wasn't cross and he insisted that I looked cross.

I then explained to him that there are these 2 pretend people on TV and mummy wants them to get married like mummy and daddy and have a nice baby just like him. 

He gave me an unimpressed 4yo look and told me I should stop having too much screentime because it's bad for my brain (haha we let him have 20 min of screentime a day and tell him it's very bad for his brain)

• Love 13
20 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

My low point was when my 4yo asked me why I looked cross. I told him I wasn't cross and he insisted that I looked cross.

Next time tell him you're just trying to add a bunch of really big numbers in your head.  

• Love 5

@Mellowyellow keep the faith & keep shipping!!!. I've found that I just have dialed down my investment... I know they will likely get back together but I just can't be there for every little tidbit of spoiler or speculation. For me, right now it's like when I ride an airplane. I have to trust that the pilot will get me to my destination, but I don't watch the map that tells me where we are flying over. I don't trust these writers, but I have to trust in the power of Olicity.

Not to deter the convo back to LL.... but my thoughts are that if Arrow is going to bring her back, I would love to have her be the season Big Bad. I could totally believe that she would find some way to come back from the dead to take revenge on OQ for destroying her life 5 years ago and then the crappy things he has done over the past 5 years. I also think it would play to KC's strengths. LL being the mastermind behind Prometheus would be awesome. Besides MM, who else holds the biggest & longest grudge against OQ for all the shitty things he did. I'm just not here for a Reunion/Redemption Arc. A revenge arc is not necessary, but I do believe it would be entertaining TV. Bonus, we might actually get a death scene worthy of KC.

I really no longer see a place for LL or BS on Flash. I thought a few seasons ago, she might be a good addition to Team Flash - but I just don't think they know how to write a multi-member team. I have had enough of LL being in the background or forced to the center when she had no place to be there. I think Flash & KC are better off without each other. Bringing back BS would bring nothing to the show.

I do think she could join the Legends, but I don't necessarily think they need her. However, I would rather see her being explored on LoT - then brought back to Arrow. Arrow has moved on without her. It remains to be seen whether the team is more functional with or without her. Personally, I never liked her on Team Arrow. But I never Ffwd through Bunker scenes when she was on like I do now. So as much as I could take or leave her, I will say I would rather have her than the newbies. That being said, I still think the best place for her was dead in the ground & not an alive part of Arrow.

• Love 3

With Olicity Im sort of at the point where right now I'm not loving the lack of storyline and not totally jazzed with the scenes they do get (I liked them but I didn't love them as much as as past seasons). But I garuntee once their back together I'll have a random onset of amnesia and go back to fan girling gleefully over how adorable they are. I'm fickle and inconsistent like that haha.

@Mellowyellow you may be surprised what you can forgive once you get back to coupley phase of your ship so hang in there :)

Re Laurel Honestly Laurel served very little narrative purpose before she died, which was probably why she was killed off that I fail to see how she could serve narrative purpose brought back to life. And even if they did bring her back to life Katie would probably act out any storyline she was given with her own head canons that goes against what the writers were writing for her anyway. 

The writers have been able to make her more relavant to the show dead then she has been on the show alive since season 1. Bringing her back when they have two characters that basically serve whatever story relevance she might be able to have (Chase for the DA role and Tina as the new and improved meta human Black Canary) The Laurel Lance character is done on the show. The 100th was her farewell party. She failed as a character for the first two half seasons and only became moderately popular after putting on the mask but had no significance to the show other then being a Team Arrow side kick because the writers either couldn't figure out her place on the show or if BTS rumours are to be believed didn't want to give her any larger role in the show.

If the show had any interest in the Laurel Lance character they would have either not killed her off on the first place or reversed her death with Flash point Dynasty it was all a dream style. They didn't. They've gotten everything they needed out of Laurels character. Like Tommy dying propelled Olivers story forward to heroism rather then vigilantism Laurel dying propelled Oliver to leaving a legacy of serving Star City and fundamentally doing good in honor of Laurel who began the show as someone who loved her city and wanted to see the best for it by taking on the criminal element.

I do however believe there is more story potential for Black Siren as a recurring Villan a Spike or Faith character who can move between shows and flip flop between Villan of the week or helping Team Arrow, Team Flash or the Legends against some greater evil if the mood strikes. And frankly Katie is much better at playing the endearing bitch character then she is at playing the endearing heroine character anyway.

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Re Laurel Honestly Laurel served very little narrative purpose before she died, which was probably why she was killed off that I fail to see how she could serve narrative purpose brought back to life. And even if they did bring her back to life Katie would probably act out any storyline she was given with her own head canons that goes against what the writers were writing for her anyway. 

Laurel, in a way, did serve a purpose. Her purpose was being Oliver's link to his past. This purpose could've served well if somehow they made Oliver repent for his past sins and in time earn her forgiveness as a way to move forward in life... However, they didn't really do this (they tried in season 1). Instead they completely forgot about their relationship and just made her into a background character.

To make matters worse is that the past few seasons, we didn't have Oliver look back to move forward because Felicity was there to give Oliver hope for a brighter, more hopeful future that he could move towards, thus making Laurel and her purpose as Oliver's link to his past completely irrelevant. 

So it's not that Laurel didn't serve a purpose, it's just that her purpose was deemed moot with the introduction of Felicity and her relationship with Oliver. 

And before anyone tells me that a woman doesn't need a man to have purpose, I agree, however, in this show, in order to be relevant to the plot you have to be relevant to Oliver, and if you're not, then you're pointless. Laurel as Black Canary holds no value to this show because Laurel herself isn't relevant to Oliver or his journey. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 14

There's speculation that Tina could be Lady Blackhawk but not so sure due to the spoiler about the scream. Nonetheless, I'm excited about the character & Felicity's arc. I'm coming back for both & then I'm back to not watching. Also looking forward to seeing China White & Talia.

3 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

They could've given Laurel plenty of purpose in Olivers life without her being his love interest but they arent the brightest thinkers. Just bring on Earth ___ LL/BC. 

I feel like this is easier said than done... I'm open to any suggestions as to what they could've done with her though. The role of friend and confidante is taken by Diggle, Love interest/moral compass/person who gives him hope is taken by Felicity, the family link is taken by Thea...

The only unique links Oliver could've had with Laurel that I can think of are:

• Lawyer- but even then, those scenes would've been so few and far between that it really is irrelevant.
  • Fighting partners - but how could they when Oliver was always years ahead of Laurel? Plus Oliver has a team so this role wouldn't have been unique
  • Mentor/Mentee - This was the only one that had real potential in season 3 but now Oliver has new kids to train so...
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, LeighAn said:

If the show had any interest in the Laurel Lance character they would have either not killed her off on the first place or reversed her death with Flash point Dynasty it was all a dream style. They didn't. They've gotten everything they needed out of Laurels character. Like Tommy dying propelled Olivers story forward to heroism rather then vigilantism Laurel dying propelled Oliver to leaving a legacy of serving Star City and fundamentally doing good in honor of Laurel who began the show as someone who loved her city and wanted to see the best for it by taking on the criminal element.

It never occurred to me that part of the season theme of Legacy until I read this.  They've really done a bad job of everything Laurel.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

The problem is that Oliver was already trying to save the city so her influence was never a factor

True but despite that fact I still think they are trying to tie Laurels relevance and death to Olivers mission regardless of things like sense logic and consistency. Shes getting the Tommy treatment.

If I were to guess its the writers way of trying to prove to the comic fans they aren't Laurel/canon haters "Yes we killed her but she's super super important to Olivers mission guys!" 

• Love 3

I don't even think they're having Laurel or her death affect Oliver or the mission the way Tommy did tbh.That seemed to be the intention when the death was first teased, it seemed like the point will be for Oliver to deal with it differently, that we won't see him regress, that he won't feel guilty and blame himself this time etc but all that was lost in season 5 when they suddenly decided they needed to regress the show and Oliver's development a couple of seasons back. Then all we got was Laurel's death being used for why Oliver killed again and had him blame himself again and the only mission he seems to be taking on inspired by Laurel is looking for a new BC which is all about their bts struggle with the BC character and nothing to do with Oliver and his development. Like everything else Laurel related, her death and the aftermath is a totally mess imo. 

• Love 14
8 hours ago, wonderwall said:

I feel like this is easier said than done... I'm open to any suggestions as to what they could've done with her though. The role of friend and confidante is taken by Diggle, Love interest/moral compass/person who gives him hope is taken by Felicity, the family link is taken by Thea...

The only unique links Oliver could've had with Laurel that I can think of are:

• Lawyer- but even then, those scenes would've been so few and far between that it really is irrelevant.
  • Fighting partners - but how could they when Oliver was always years ahead of Laurel? Plus Oliver has a team so this role wouldn't have been unique
  • Mentor/Mentee - This was the only one that had real potential in season 3 but now Oliver has new kids to train so...

They should've had Laurel take on the role of confidant after they decided to move away from love interest. Yes it is a role that is filled by Diggle, but those roles dont have to be specifically one person, they each could approach things differently and have different ways to deal with Oliver. She's been in his life long enough that they could have had them realize that they are better off friends and grow from there instead of having a constant wedge between them each season. Laurel, imo of course, was fitting in with the team great in the 2nd half of s4 before she was killed. And if they had kept her around, having her be Olivers legal adviser would've helped tie them together. 

Laurel couldn't be Oliver's confidant for behind the scenes reasons: tptb were going out of their way to make sure Steve and KC shared as little screentime as possible. The creatives believed they had bad chemistry, and so they made sure to keep them apart. Laurel couldn't be Oliver's anything at all because of that.

• Love 13

I may be repeating what others have already stated, and apologies in advance. But I've been watching, or rather, my nth rewatching of Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, and the straight to home movies (and the Nolan Trilogy) that followed, I realized something: That Flash's Central City is to Supes' Metropolis, that Arrow's Star City is to Bats' Gotham. The latter, down to the crumbling Glades. Though Gotham also had the corrupt cops that ever corrupted.

And can someone Please tell me just HOW Ra's Al Ghul is supposed to be pronounced? In the animated series, they had it as "Raysh," and that's how Timm and company said it. But Batman Begins pronounced it as "Rozzz."

And this show said it BOTH ways!!!!??‍♀️

I admit, I suffer from anal retentive disorder for the small details.?

And why no Ubu when they brought Batman's villain Ra's in season 3?