Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I think the "moment" they're talking about is pretty much just the fact that there's a shared universe among those four shows, as was solidified in the big crossover (which Snart was not in), which makes it extra strange that they didn't use the poster from the crossover.

I don't necessarily mind the fact that they didn't choose Sara as the character to represent Legends, since it is an ensemble show, but the fact that they didn't even use a character that's currently on the show (also, the fact that the article doesn't even mention it by name) kind of highlights the fact that Legends is pretty much the red-headed step-child of the DCTV universe.

• Love 4

But having Flash, Arrow and Supergirl and talking about the crossover implies that Miller was a crucial part of the crossover but he wasn't.I still find it annoying.  But that's just me. YMMV.

But the crossover is just one of their "moments that mattered" - there are others still to come, and the moments series is what the banner is for. I mean, ultimately the key players of each show would be up there, but I don't think that banner was necessarily meant to convey the "lead" of each show. 

Edited by apinknightmare

I just don't get the issue tbh... This show isn't Sara's show. It's an ensemble and she has to share the spotlight with everyone. Sara was in a lot of other promos and just because she isn't in this one doesn't mean anything other than the fact that she has to share the spotlight.

• Love 2

And The Award Goes To… ‘The Best’ In Superheroes 2016
Jason Motes   Dec. 30, 2016
http://sciencefiction.com/2016/12/30/2016-year-superheroes/

Best Team-Up: The CW’s ‘Invasion!’ Crossover
.  .  .
Yeah sure we got ‘Captain America: Civil War’ which was GREAT!  Don’t get me wrong!  But honestly, minus the additions of Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther, Tom Holland as Spider-Man and Paul Rudd as Ant/Giant-Man… I mean we’ve already seen all these guys together on the big screen.  It was a great, fun movie.

Buuuuuuuuuut… Okay sure there was no Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman, and the budget wasn’t nearly box office-worthy, but The CW’s annual mashup of their DC superhero shows, ‘Supergirl’, ‘The Flash’, ‘Arrow’ and ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ was the closest thing we’ve ever gotten to a live action ‘Crisis On Infinite Earths’.

While ‘Supergirl’ only BARELY connected to the crossover, we got an amazingly compelling episode of ‘Arrow’ which… okay was a tad too reminiscent of the “For The Girl Who Has Everything” episode of ‘Supergirl’, but was still incredibly engaging just the same.

And when Felicity uttered “This looks like a job for… Supergirl!” on ‘Legends’… goosebumps.

Here’s to hoping the ‘Justice League’ movie dwarfs this, but for now… DC crossover amazing-ness. And speaking of Supergirl…
Best Argument For Spandex Costumes Versus Molded Armor: Tyler Hoechlin As Superman on ‘Supergirl’
.  .  .
I mean… seriously.  (I’ll forgive the lifts.)

This also gets the ‘Best Second Fiddle’ award for the first time Superman has been used as a supporting character to Supergirl!

Can we get Chris Wood/Mon-El measured for one of these?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

I disagree with the order (and some comments), but everyone's entitled to his or her own opinion...

The Eleven Best Comic Based TV Shows Of 2016
Posted by Dan Wickline December 31, 201
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/12/31/eleven-best-comic-based-tv-shows-2016/

7 – Legends of Tomorrow
The show had a strong first season which all took place in 2016, but seems to be a bit meandering in season two. We know the Legion of Doom is coming, but the best episode of the new season was the crossover. The rest of the time the team seems to be floundering for a purpose. I think the season will be stronger as a whole once its all said and done, but it misses something with Rip Hunter away and no central villain. That aside, the show is a lot of fun and gives us characters that might never gotten a live action version otherwise. And with the format, you never know who is going to show up next.
6 – Supergirl
This series has had some an improvement between seasons that it’s almost shocking. The move from CBS to the CW has allowed the producers to jettison things that made it feel like a hybrid between a superhero series and an office romance comedy. The Devil Wears Prada section of the series was always the weak part, unless it was when Cat Grant was having an inspirational moment which was always delivered so well by Calista Flockhart. The move from CatCo to the DEO was a big improvement and I expect the show to continue getting better in 2017 with the additions of Guardian and Mon-El helping create Team Supergirl. The only downside to the second season was that they introduced such a good version of Superman that fans are really wanting him back. Never overshadow your lead.
4 – Arrow
The one thing Stephen Amell talked about was getting the series back to what it does best, which is street level fighting. The wrapping of the Damien Darhk story line was interesting and the writers did a lot to show the consequences of all of these battles. The strength of the fifth season has no only been in the returning to its roots was also pushing some of the regular characters into new positions and bringing in some unexpected new ones like Wild Dog, Ragman and Vigilante. This year has been about consequences and it does feel like the show has gotten back to what makes it good.
2 – The Flash
This series is about as close you can get to putting a comic book directly onto a television. It’s bright, action-packed, exciting and fun. Its the show we all wanted when we were kids. A place where any hero from the DC universe can be made believable… well, maybe not Ambush Bug, but all the rest… and Grant Gustin is so likable that even when he massively screw up, you want him to win. But the show is not without flaws. We’re on yet another speedster villain and dealing with more time-travel issues… and a third (or is it fourth) version of Harrison Wells. The series has lost a little of its fun and needs to branch out in some new directions, but it’s still one of the best shows on TV.

11 - Agent Carter
10 - Lucifer
9 - Preacher
8 - Agents of SHIELD
7 - Legends of Tomorrow
6 - Supergirl
5 - Luke Cage
4 - Arrow
3 - The Walking Dead
2 - The Flash
1 - Daredevil

Edited by tv echo

Wow, I agree with nothing in that article. For me Legends had improved over Season 1 and I think the team has flowed better under Sara's leadership then under Rip. I barely missed him. 

The addition of the male heroes to save Supergirl is making her a guest star on her own show. Superman was fun but I don't need to see him again. 

And no I don't think Barry being cute means I should cut him any slack when his screw ups affect the whole DCTV verse. I want Barry to face the consequences of his actions and finally learn from them. I know that will never happen because on that show keeping Barry happy is its entire purpose.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 9

When I look at the Plunder vs. Slade, it seems like they simply cast someone with similar facial features as MB especially in that angle. And no offense, but it's basic villain, evil guy, stunt person look. Gelled hair & chiseled features with facial scruff.

I don't see a lot of glaring overlaps besides the eyepatch, which is a basic villain costume design.

Wasn't there something about Black Lightning?

2 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

I don't know what the new one he's talking about means, but if there is going to be another Arrow spinoff this season makes much more sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the intention but with the lack of buzz about the new characters I would be surprised if it was still on the table. If so tho, I wonder why they would keep using Arrow as a launch point and not The Flash.

• Love 1

Flash is their golden child. Maybe they don't want to tarnish its brilliance with something so bourgeois as a spinoff.

I really seriously have zero idea, but doesn't it makes everything make more sense? Even Tina...NuBC can lead this new team and maybe take Rabid Puppy with her. 

• Love 4

I think he's just talking about Black Lighting which we already got news that DC was in the process of developing. And IIRC that was for another network not the CW. 

That's not to say that they won't/can't spin off the newbies but I get the sense that they might be keeping that as a back up possibility if Arrow ends in two seasons with Stephens contract. As it stands now CW probably don't have the space in their line up for another Flarrow show.

• Love 2

I have no idea what they could spinoff from any of the existing shows that they could think would be a good show. Maybe the magic airport that allows everyone to travel within the allotted time to wherever they need to be? (Completely joking.)

They couldn't be stupid enough to think a WD spinoff would work. 

Something to do with ARGUS? Doubt it. 

I know this is a radical, crazy idea, but how about focusing on the shows and characters you have? Unless it means spinning off WD into an AU dimension where I never have to see him again. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 15

WB will not allow a Superman show. They only even let Supergirl use him for two episodes.

I don't think there will be in any new CW Arrowverse shows for the next few years. Not with CW just acquiring Supergirl from CBS.

Yeah WB is not going to give him a show while the movie franchise is still alive and kicking. Smallville was almost canceled to pave the way for Superman Returns. WB is still very paranoid about having multiple versions of characters out at the same time even though they have toned it down a little.

I liked Hoechlin as Superman enough to want to see him again, but I don't know about wanting a TV show. Smallville was on too recently for that, I think. 

Edited by insomniadreams88
Liked not like doing, stupid autocorrect that makes no sense
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Yeah WB is not going to give him a show while the movie franchise is still alive and kicking. Smallville was almost canceled to pave the way for Superman Returns. WB is still very paranoid about having multiple versions of characters out at the same time even though they have toned it down a little.

I dunno. Maybe since they have Bruce Wayne on Gotham they are slowly rethinking that mind set. I'm not going to rule it out completely. Smallville has been gone for 6 years now.  Maybe that's long enough to go with a new actual Superman

8 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Yeah I remember on one of the dvd commentaries for season 4 I think the writers saying how there were restrictions placed on them from WB/DC when they wanted bring Lois on to the show, like they were never sure how often they were allowed to use her and how they were allowed to use her. 

IIRC I remember also reading that the writers wanted to start a romantic Lois and Clark storyline in like season 5 or 6 but they had to kaboosh it because of Superman Returns. But I can't remember now if that was on the record or just rumours. 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I dunno. Maybe since they have Bruce Wayne on Gotham they are slowly rethinking that mind set. I'm not going to rule it out completely. Smallville has been gone for 6 years now.  Maybe that's long enough to go with a new actual Superman

Yeah but that is young Bruce. If Gotham goes on long enough, the question is will they be able to use Bruce as Batman and transition the necessary characters into costumes.

My personal opinion is that there does not need to be a new spinoff. But if it gets the newbies off my show, then godspeed to TPTB & may it go into production now. Absolutely think it is a wonderful idea then. 

I do wonder if they want a 13 episode Spinoff to complement LoT. They can air one in the Spring & one in the Fall. With the ending of Reign & Vampire Diaries, I do wonder if they are looking for a female lead show, so perhaps something with Vixen of NuBC as the lead.

Edited by kismet
50 minutes ago, Trini said:

I'd say a Birds of Prey spinoff/reboot; but WB is also developing a Gotham City Sirens movie, maybe they don't want overlap.

20 minutes ago, kismet said:

My personal opinion is that there does not need to be a new spinoff. But if it gets the newbies off my show, then godspeed to TPTB & may it go into production now. Absolutely think it is a wonderful idea then. 

I do wonder if they want a 13 episode Spinoff to complement LoT. They can air one in the Spring & one in the Fall. With the ending of Reign & Vampire Diaries, I do wonder if they are looking for a female lead show, so perhaps something with Vixen of NuBC as the lead.

Agree with anything that gets the newbies off Arrow, but I doubt they're stupid enough to think they'd get ratings that would keep it on air longer than a week. 

Maybe they're testing Tina for a Birds of Prey type show?

I would love to see a show with a female lead, but I really do think that there are enough Arrowverse shows on the CW right now. And I feel like I've seen a few articles about other shows the network has in development or is considering or something along those lines for there to be room for another spinoff on the schedule. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Agree with anything that gets the newbies off Arrow, but I doubt they're stupid enough to think they'd get ratings that would keep it on air longer than a week. 

I would love to see a show with a female lead, but I really do think that there are enough Arrowverse shows on the CW right now. And I feel like I've seen a few articles about other shows the network has in development or is considering or something along those lines for there to be room for another spinoff on the schedule. 

Not my problem if it fails. But I will encourage anything that helps me get my Arrow back. The ratings aren't great, but overall the DC shows are still performing well by CW standards. Perhaps if they removed the newbies from Arrow that would get back some of the Arrow audience. I know I would tune back into to trackable sources if they returned Arrow back to me. And for me the biggest problem with Arrow right now is that the show is overrun with newbies I don't care about.

A show with a female lead is need on the CW. I don't care about the Flarrowverse inundating the CW schedule. I think the drop in ratings is more due to the drop in quality, not in having too many Masked shows on the schedule. And so far the CW has failed to launch a successful new show with an audience outside of the Flarrowverse in the last 2 seasons. I can see them resorting to the built-in DCTV universe, especially considering this season all of their shows were DOA to get a successful audience show again. I think if Riverdale tanks, we'll see a DC spin-off.

• Love 3

I wouldn't mind a show with Tina as the lead, depending on how the character works out when I actually see her, but I'm afraid it's going to end up like most of the female-led shows like Major Crimes, where there's a woman boss/lead and nearly all the rest of the characters are men.

12 hours ago, tv echo said:

If anyone cares...

• Greg Berlanti and Robbie Rogers are engaged!  :)
  • Melissa Benoist has filed for divorce from husband Blake Jenner.  :(

I wish them well.  (I've never understood the concept of having a child first and then getting married.  Speaking as a parent, you're far more stuck with the other person if you share a child than if you share a marriage ceremony.)

I'm sorry about Melissa though.

12 hours ago, tv echo said:

4 – Arrow
The one thing Stephen Amell talked about was getting the series back to what it does best, which is street level fighting. The wrapping of the Damien Darhk story line was interesting and the writers did a lot to show the consequences of all of these battles. The strength of the fifth season has no only been in the returning to its roots was also pushing some of the regular characters into new positions and bringing in some unexpected new ones like Wild Dog, Ragman and Vigilante. This year has been about consequences and it does feel like the show has gotten back to what makes it good.

I'm always surprised when people say they love this season.  For me, not only has Oliver regressed and characters are suddenly all over the place like Sara was replaced by JJ, the show has lost it's heart.

12 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Wow, I agree with nothing in that article. For me Legends had improved over Season 1 and I think the team has flowed better under Sara's leadership then under Rip. I barely missed him. 

The addition of the male heroes to save Supergirl is making her a guest star on her own show. Superman was fun but I don't need to see him again. 

And no I don't think Barry being cute means I should cut him any slack when his screw ups affect the whole DCTV verse. I want Barry to face the consequences of his actions and finally learn from them. I know that will never happen because on that show keeping Barry happy is its entire purpose.

ITA on all.  I prefer Legends with Sara running things instead of Rip being ineffectual, when Superman is on Supergirl it becomes a show about the Supes having fun with each other.  And on The Flash I'm so fed up with everyone excusing Barry because he's cute.  And a guy.

As I type this, I'm watching the PBS New Year's Special and they're showing the Lipizzaner horses and I'm reminded that horse shows like the Lipizzaner horses and Cavalia use only stallions and geldings.  It's not because the mares can't do the stuff, it's because the stallions (and some geldings) can't be trusted around mares.  Males getting off the hook for their doings crosses species.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

It might be another run at a Teen Titans show.  Back when they finally announced that TNT wasn't moving forward with it, it seems like I remember Geoff Johns saying something about they still had plans for Teen Titans.  So it could be that. 

I would be interested in another female-led show as well, depending on what it was.  Birds of Prey has kind of been poisoned for me because of the whole Black Canary issue, but I'm not 100% opposed if Tina does turn out to be a good character.  But I'd be a little surprised if they did a BoP remake, even so. 

• Love 1

They have Vixen if Megalyn is free, I know she wasn't interested in being tied down to LoT but being a lead of her show may tempt her.

They could do a Batgirl/Batwoman tv series if DC isnt interested in introducing them to the movie-verse. They were willing to have Babs in the Titans show.

Raven was in development for getting her own show but that fell through.

A Wondergirl tv series would be fantastic but would never happen sadly.

• Love 1

Here's what I was thinking of, back on Feb. 2.

Is there any chance another network will pick up Titans, now that TNT has abandoned it? –Greg
Interestingly, when we chatted up DC Entertainment CCO Geoff Johns at TCA — just days after TNT let slip the bad news — he shared, “We [at DC] have known about [Turner nixing Titans] for months and months and months. That’s not new news to us.” The silver lining: Regardless of the basic cabler’s decision, “We have plans for Titans,” Johns asserted. “It’s a huge piece of DC and we have plans.”

http://tvline.com/2016/02/02/once-upon-a-time-spoilers-belle-season-5b/

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

I've thought the newbies might be an attempt at another spin-off since the start, especially with how hard they've been selling Wild Dong. Unfortunately, the characters haven't really inspired any buzz and instead of viewers enjoying WD they mostly seem to hate him. I'm not sure where that leaves a possible spin-off, doesn't seem like a sound investment for a network. I don't think the CW has managed to launch any of their new shows this season, so they might be willing to try for a show if it could at least perform like LOT.

I really don't think they give a crap about Arrow or its characters any more. They write them like they're bored with the whole thing (regression, repetitive storylines,etc.). If the spin-off is true though, a massive middle-finger to them for sidelining core Arrow characters to make room for the newbs so they could get another spin-off. 

• Love 5

How to tell the eyepatch-wearing villains apart - Arrow's villains (Deadshot, Deathstroke) wear the eyepatch over their right eye, while Flash's villain (Plunder) wears the eyepatch over his left eye.

TVLine's speculation about Geoff Johns' tweet...

DC Comics Prez Teases New Series in Development — What Could It Be?
By Ryan Schwartz / January 1 2017, 5:07 PM PST
http://tvline.com/2017/01/01/new-dc-comics-tv-show-2017/

Though there’s been speculation that The CW is working on a fifth superhero series, there’s no determining whether the TBA property is necessarily destined for the home of Arrow, Supergirl, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow. Johns’ tweet also mentions other non-CW programs, including Fox’s Gotham and Lucifer, and excludes the likes of The CW’s iZombie and AMC’s Preacher. (In addition to the aforementioned titles, DC produces animated series Teen Titans Go!, Justice League Action, DC Superhero Girls and Young Justice.)

It was first reported back in March that WGN America ordered a pilot based on the graphic novel Scalped, though a series order has not yet followed. Fox is also developing a Black Lightning series with EP Greg Berlanti, while Syfy is hard at work on Superman prequel Krypton.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Another list - shocker, Flash isn't on top...

DC series on The CW, ranked
by EAMMON JACOBS on JANUARY 2, 2017 
http://heroes.direct/tv/dc-cw-series-ranked/

1. Arrow
After the near disastrous Season 4, the fifth season aimed to take the show back to its roots. And boy, oh boy – it’s become incredible. A grounded gritty superhero show is what we were first sold on. And now, it’s returned back to that with a vengeance. With a whole team of vigilantes behind him, Oliver Queen consistently shows us week after week why Arrow is the best DC show on The CW. With twists and turns around every corner – we can’t help but fall in love with the series all over again.

5. Vixen
4. Supergirl
3. Legends of Tomorrow
2. The Flash
1. Arrow

Edited by tv echo

Apparently "fan service" is fine if you like what you're seeing, but not fine if you don't like what you're seeing (this article was retweeted by Bamford who directed Arrow's 100th ep)...

The best TV episodes of 2016
Blastr Staff   Wed, Jan 04, 2017 4:59pm
http://www.blastr.com/2017-1-4/best-tv-episodes-2016?__source=Blastr_True_Anthem_Blastr_Twitter&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=586d81f704d30109b76d70e0&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

It’s been a great year for TV, but what were the best episodes of all the genre fare out there? 

We’ve taken into account everything from cinematography, to writing, to acting to the story itself to break down the best episodes of 2016. They run the gamut from high drama, to goofy fun, so if you’re looking to fill out your watch list with some treasures — start here.
Arrow - “Invasion”

"It's real enough.”
That line from Thea to Oliver as she thinks about staying in an alternate reality where her parents are still alive, could sum up why Arrow's 100th episode was so powerful. This hour walked the delicate tightrope of not only serving as a lynchpin in the "Invasion" mega-crossover, but as a celebration of the show that launched the Arrowverse. It did so in spectacular fashion. This was fan service of the best kind, with everything we would want to see: great cameos, high stakes and of course, awesomely choreographed fight scenes.  The "It's A Wonderful Life" take may not have been the most original idea, but it allowed us to see the happiest versions of these characters we care so much for. Oliver was happy, truly happy...until he realized it wasn't real. There may not be a more touching moment in the entire series than that exchange between Oliver and Thea. Ultimately, just like Oliver, Speedy makes the right decision, even if it does cause her great pain. And we see these characters we've followed for five seasons move forward, despite their personal pain. Because that's what heroes do. -Mike Avila
The Flash - “Flashpoint”

There was a lot riding on the Season 3 premiere of The Flash, and “Flashpoint” did about as good a job as it could of paying it off. The episode introduces us to the famed Flashpoint universe, created when Barry goes back in time to save his mother and creates an alternate reality. We get alternate versions of much of the cast, and best of all, Barry has to team up with his archenemy Reverse-Flash to set things (mostly) right. The episode also introduces us to Wally Wells’ Kid Flash, and gives us our first team-up of the iconic duo. “Flashpoint” was a more intimate take on the comic storyline, but it cast Barry as the villain of his own story due to his meddling with time and the effect it has on his friends’ lives, which was one heck of a brave creative choice. -Trent Moore

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1