Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

21 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Where did you see Felicity?

I'm sure they are talking about Felicity on the Flash this week. Opps it would be best if I noticed the full page didn't load...

Edited by tarotx
2 hours ago, DCLeague said:

It was 50-50 for me last season, now Im definately more excited for Legends

I was feeling that way but now spoilers about Legends have been letting me down.  (Sara's fine, don't worry)  I've had to put my hopes in Supergirl, lol. 

• Love 2

I could not get into LoT last season. I thought the writing and acting on that show was really poor.

I'm thinking about giving it another shot this year, it's before SPN which helps it (for me), since I'll always watch SPN. I'm glad they got rid of The Hawks and the villain because all 3 sucked.

If i had to rank them all, it's 

Arrow > Flash > LoT > Supergirl

Flash is pure cheese but, I love Cisco, Wells and Joe. However, I cant take it seriously when the answer to everything is "run, Barry run!" And a good pep talk.

LoT was massively cheesy and suffered from bad acting, writing and a horrible villain. I love Sara but even she wasn't enough to keep me watching.

Supergirl was never my cup of tea, I pretty much hate the whole Super family. I tried the pilot, thought it was stupid and never went back.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

LOT had a lot of camp and that's not everybody's cup of tea. But I loved the show especially Sara and everybody she interacted with. But Sara is my 3rd favorite character in the Arrow verse behind Oliver and Moria. Sara is enough for me. I think the show got better once it started playing towards the actor's strength but they had to keep going to the Hawks and Vandal because of Plot. So there were some issues all the way through even for me. Them connecting Ray to Hawkgirl just angered me because I knew that is the show they really wanted and it was just bad. 

• Love 2

I love time travel shows, which is why I'm giving Timeless another shot despite the show having the blandest core cast on TV right now. I still have to check out Frequency. So I tried LOT over the summer but was I bored out of my mind. The cast didn't gel, IMO. The tone was all over the place and never could strike a balance. I could ignore the characters I didn't quite like because there were actors I enjoy but they didn't have enough screen time. So, eh. 

So yeah, mine is like this, too:

Arrow > Flash > Supergirl > LOT

I mean, Supergirl reminds me too much of an after-school special (the acting is too earnest and I find Kara exhausting) but it's not bad-bad like LOT. Aren't they supposed to be softly rebooting LOT, though?

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 2

I liked Supergirl most last season because it was fun and doesn't have the baggage of the older shows. It's just easy to enjoy Supergirl and not have to worry about when the show is going to get incredibly depressing like Arrow season three or as dumb as The Flash. It helps that Kara isn't a complete dumbass like Oliver or Barry, even if she seems a bit young at times.

Edited by manbearpig
  • Love 2

AK mentions how they didn't get a handle on Arrow creatively until the back half of S1 and indicates that Supergirl will not be merging into the Arrowverse (rest of article contains spoilers)...

Supergirl boss goes in-depth about changes with show's move to CW
BY NATALIE ABRAMS  October 7, 2016
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/07/supergirl-season-2-cw-spoilers

The series is also excited to let its geek flag fly, homing in on comic-book-inspired elements rather than going broad for the CBS audience. “That was less a function of the [network] switch and more out of our own confidence in what we were doing,” Kreisberg says, noting that assuredness spilled over on one particular front. “Everybody had an opinion on what a female superhero should do, be, and say. We all got locked into answering that question a lot at the early stages.” Now that topic will be “shown more by example and less by speeches and dialogue.”
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How is the show different now moving to The CW?
ANDREW KREISBERG:
The pitch that we made to CBS and the pitch we made to the CW aren’t that different. There is going to be a change in the show that I think is a natural progression in a show that’s growing up. We were really blessed with The Flash The Flash came out fully formed; that show knew what it was very early on. The experience of Supergirl is more akin to the experience we had on Arrow, where we knew there was a great show in there, and every once in awhile we made a great one, but it wasn’t until the back half of that first season — and certainly the beginning of season 2 — that we really felt like we had a handle of what that show was creatively. That’s how we feel about Supergirl, that towards the end of last year, the characters were really coming to life and we were really starting to tell the right stories. Now with season 2, we really feel like this show has gotten, I always say, bigger and smaller; it’s gotten bigger in terms of what we’re able to accomplish in terms of the scope of the show, but it’s also gotten smaller in terms of the characters. We are able to go to deeper places, richer places, and to some places that I think are unexpected.
As revealed during The Flash-Supergirl crossover last year, Supergirl hails from a different universe. Are you planning on bringing Supergirl into our universe?
Not for her entire world, but Kara will be traveling from her dimension to our dimension, “our” being the world that The Flash, Arrow, and Legends lives in.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I think LOT had a lot of camp and it played in a campy style. I'm not the only one who thinks that. I liked the show tons better than Flash but not close to being as good as Arrow. I've only watched the pilot and episode 1 of Supergirl so I can't judge it but I find Kara super sweet and very young. 

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I dont think anyone has said LoT isn't campy.

3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

No, it's not camp, I love camp, I watch Ash vs Evil Dead.  LoT just wasn't good IMO. 

I personally read your statement as saying it's not THE camp of LoT that stopped you from connecting with it, but I think the reason for the confusion is clear. :)

For me, I like darker shows (camp or no, as Evil Dead is AWESOME), so my enjoyment of the shows goes Arrow > LoT > Flash > Supergirl, though I fully admit that from a tone and quality level both Supergirl and Flash are better than LoT.  I do have some hope for the LoT season though.  If LoT does tank, I hope we get Sara back on Arrow.

• Love 1

For me it's Arrow >... wait, there are other shows in this universe? :p I honestly don't care about any other show. 

Flash - I loathe Barry so much. He's tolerable when he's around Oliver/Felicity/Diggle though. Maybe it's how they play off one another
Supergirl - Never really got into it
LoT - I tried this summer, wasn't a fan. I enjoyed the style of it. I just didn't connect with any of hte characters. I only liked Sara. Didn't love her. So she wasnt' enough for me to stay. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, TrueMyth said:

I personally read your statement as saying it's not THE camp of LoT that stopped you from connecting with it, but I think the reason for the confusion is clear. :)

If that's where the confusion is coming from i can understand it. My point was exactly as you read it.

LoT being Campy is not why i think it's a bad show, i watch campy stuff and love it. The problem is that LoT has bad acting, bad writing and, a crap villain. The campiness has nothing to do with it being a bad show, IMO.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

Arrow is in it's own box for me.  Not necessarily because I like it more than the other shows but because I find it really stressful as I ship!!!!! 

I love the campyness of LoT. I'm a campy kind of person though so it's right up my alley. 

My ranking would be:

1.Supergirl (love Kara and Cat) 

2.LoT

3. AoS (lower than LoT because I find it more stressful)

4.Flash 

With Arrow off on it's own freaking me out about my ship.

What's funny is hubby watched all the other DC shows but swore black and blue he was not going to watch some silly girl fly around.  I played one ep over dinner and he was completely and utterly hooked! 

• Love 1

Arrow is still the show I care most about.  I liked Supergirl last season and hope they continue like that, and i like the campiness of LOT and most of the cast. They really do know how to use their large cast which is something the other shows haven't learned to do so I guess it's Phill Klemmer.  Supergirl wasted James and Winn last season trying to stall a ship they set up in the pilot.  I'm also worried what the addition of Superman is going to do because as far as I'm concerned, I don't want him there; he'll take over the show.

I just can't with Barry and his endless immaturity and pep talks any more.  Take away the violence and it should be on a children's chaennel because that's the maturity level it works at.  Daddy issues, three daddiys, mommy issues, 'girls are icky' and shouldn't get their own storylines and everyone constantly needs to tell Barry how wonderful he is. As much as I liked GG/Barry when he showed up on Arrow, the writing on The Flash has killed it for me.

• Love 6
On 8/7/2016 at 3:34 AM, Starfish35 said:
Spoiler

@quarks

My bad. I'm on my phone this site is the worst on the phone 

Edited by wonderwall
I can't delete quotes on mobile format for some reason? The mobile version of this site is shit tbh
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Trini said:

1) Supergirl,
2) Flash,
3) Legends
4) Felicity Smoak

:)

I feel like you missed the part where Felicity was barely promoted this summer and missed the part where she had less screen time than Lance and Thea in 501... But ok... 

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

My bad. I'm on my phone this site is the worst on the phone 

Do you get the little box in the upper left hand corner when you tap on the quote? It took me forever to realize I have to tap that box then hit the backspace to delete. 

"How the Flash Finally Fixed it's Iris Problem" an article from Vanity Fair. 

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/10/flash-premiere-flashpoint-iris-west-problem-fixed

Found a couple things interesting.

But, significantly, the one change to the narrative we do know about hinges on Iris. She’s not on speaking terms with her father, Joe, which may mean that the Barry and Iris’s brother-sister dynamic is still off the table. That said, a source close to the show confirms to Vanity Fair that Iris will be more of a natural, central figure this year; a directive to better utilize The Flash’s leading lady as a journalist as well as the protagonist’s girlfriend came down from show creator Greg Berlanti himself.

And though The Flash is the strongest show in the CW’s superhero stable, this key improvement puts it on better gender-balance footing with network-mates Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow, both of which boast popular female characters—Emily Bett Rickards’s Felicity and Caity Lotz’s White Canary—as cast standouts. With the female-friendly Supergirl joining the pack as part of a crossover-friendly four-series set, it really behooved The Flash to step up its Iris game. And there are some early hints that the historically female-friendly CW could be putting the boys on the side for at least one crossover episode this season.

So at least The Flash show runners were made somewhat aware they were handling the female characters poorly.

Also, I wonder if that last line is rooted in anything more than spec because I would not mind seeing all the girls band together during the crossover at some point. 

• Love 3

It's been one ep. Has the problem of Flash underutilizing female characters, especially Iris, really been solved? I mean I would love for it to be the case, but I feel the article is a tad premature. Sounds more like a "this is how you should think of Iris" piece commissioned by CW PR. 

• Love 13

But, significantly, the one change to the narrative we do know about hinges on Iris. She’s not on speaking terms with her father, Joe, which may mean that the Barry and Iris’s brother-sister dynamic is still off the table.

LOL, what a sentence that is.

• Love 7

I can't even rank because I only watch Arrow.

The other shows only get a watch if Felicity or Diggle make an appearance. 

24 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Poor Iris, she loses a father so she can boink her brother. Feminism!

We can complain all we want about the treatment of Felicity and Thea but no one gets disrespected more than Iris. I wish we could steal Iris from The Flash. She could be Felicity's roomie and a civilian connection.

• Love 10

I'm only invested in Arrow, even though it makes me rage-y at times. Supergirl was pretty average and very cheesy but it had potential, though I'm not sure if I'm going to watch s2 tbh. I gave up on The Flash and I couldn't even get past episode 2 of Legends.

Different strokes and all that!

Do we have gender breakdown for the Flash premiere ratings?

Arrow's premiere had super low female vieweship, and this article sorta screams "fuck, we scared ladies away with our MRA strategy".

The whole point of bringing bro eyeballs to the DCTV shows was to get an even 50-50 M-F demo [a la Supernatural], not to outright repel women.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Do we have gender breakdown for the Flash premiere ratings?

Arrow's premiere had super low female vieweship, and this article sorta screams "fuck, we scared ladies away with our MRA strategy".

The whole point of bringing bro eyeballs to the DCTV shows was to get an even 50-50 M-F demo [a la Supernatural], not to outright repel women.

From programming insider

(Flash CW)
Women 18-34: 1.0/4
Men 18-34: 1.3/6
Women 18-49: 1.0/4
Men 18-49: 1.5/6

In comparison, here's the breakdown for S2 Finale

“The Flash” (CW)
Women 18-34: 0.8/4
Men 18-34: 1.4/7
Women 18-49: 1.0/4
Men 18-49: 1.5/6

Edited by Morrigan2575

The numbers are interesting. Barry and Iris were front and center in a lot of promo. The actors were posting Barry/Iris fanart. The relationships as a whole were promoted. It was more than Run Barry Run. 

• Love 1

Wow, the Flash writers are still tone deaf to the issues with Iris. Making her lose her relationship with her father so she can be Barry's love interest isn't giving Iris more of a storyline. That's making her even more Barry's reward for being a screw up. 

That article doesn't give me any hope for Iris, they usually let the womanfolk on the Flash do something for an episode or two, then they are right back to being props for the other 21-22 episodes. 

Can Iris go be on LoT. CL and CP seem to be really good friends so it would be fun to see them work together. They could just tie it to Iris's comic storyline that she's apparently not getting. In the comics Iris is from the future. They could've easily made her mother leave her in the past because she's being chased by something in the future. Instead they just had Iris' mom show up to bring in yet another male hero. 

• Love 8

I'm suddenly picturing a female centric crossover. 

Think Felicity Lyla and Caitlin but add Thea, Sara and Iris. 

Felicity and Caitlin working it from the bunker, Iris getting entail from her journo sources, Lyla providing some guidance, Sara and Thea out in the field.

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 9

So is there a reason the rest of the Arrowverse has had their seasons updated on Netflix but Legends hasn't?  I was trying to get someone interested in it and zero joy.   Also is that a good way to get more viewers for the least watched superhero show?

7 minutes ago, Delphi said:

So is there a reason the rest of the Arrowverse has had their seasons updated on Netflix but Legends hasn't?  I was trying to get someone interested in it and zero joy.   Also is that a good way to get more viewers for the least watched superhero show?

Yes - apparently the previous Netflix deal (not the one for this season) means that the midseason shows like Legends of Tomorrow and The 100 will not be available for streaming on Netflix until closer to January - similar to the way the last seasons of Arrow and Flash weren't available on Netflix until a few weeks ago. Supergirl signed a different deal, so it was available earlier.

I think getting people to watch Legends of Tomorrow on Netflix is a good way to convince Netflix to continue to pay for streaming rights, which will probably be factored into any renewal decisions. 

2 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

Poor Iris, she loses a father so she can boink her brother. Feminism!

Ew. She's not going to be sexing up Wally.

1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

Wow, the Flash writers are still tone deaf to the issues with Iris. Making her lose her relationship with her father so she can be Barry's love interest isn't giving Iris more of a storyline. That's making her even more Barry's reward for being a screw up. 

That article doesn't give me any hope for Iris, they usually let the womanfolk on the Flash do something for an episode or two, then they are right back to being props for the other 21-22 episodes. 

Can Iris go be on LoT. CL and CP seem to be really good friends so it would be fun to see them work together. They could just tie it to Iris's comic storyline that she's apparently not getting. In the comics Iris is from the future. They could've easily made her mother leave her in the past because she's being chased by something in the future. Instead they just had Iris' mom show up to bring in yet another male hero. 

She was always Barry's love interest; but I also don't like that they're screwing with her (already underdeveloped) relationship with her father.

I'm actually more fearful about Caitlin getting even more sidelined; because I do think Iris will have more to do this season, but apparently it's too hard for TPTB to write for more than one woman at a time.

I would love, love, love it if they let Iris interact with all the other Arrow-verse leading ladies! It will be beyond insulting if she's not in the crossover this year.

• Love 3

Incest between who??

incest |ˈinˌsest|
noun
sexual relations between people classed as being too closely related to marry each other.
• the crime of having sexual intercourse with a parent, child, sibling, or grandchild.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1