Type keyword(s) to search

The Walking Dead in the Media

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm bummed and now totally worried about Carol's fate at the end of TWD. This also means I'm free after the fall 😁

15 hours ago, mandolin said:

I’m completely shocked that Melissa is dropping out! I also didn’t realize it was going to film in Europe. 

My first thought also went to how Carol's story will be wrapped up and my second was `Europe wtf?'.

Granted, I've been doubting that this spinoff will ever actually happen but they've already filmed TWD ending(s) so either AMC was delaying this announcement or...idk. McBride suddenly walked away from a deal two years after announcing it?  

More surprising in reading about this was realizing I was completely unaware (or blocked it from memory) of the Maggie-Negan spinoff. Besides having huge issues with the reshaping of Negan's story, it just cheeses my onions that it's set in NYC. We've been watching this show stuck in the same place for years but now they're not only moving the characters around, they're turning TWD into CSI franchising.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

they're turning TWD into CSI franchising.

Walking Dead: Liverpool. 

That would make at least one person happy. 

How exactly Daryl & whomever is getting across the Atlantic is an interesting question. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I look forward to more information unraveling.  Was this always planned for Europe or did the "creative direction " change to Europe and that's why MB walked away?  I've been wondering if this spin-off was dead in the water ever since the Escape from NY one got announced with a start date and title. Maybe the delay in releasing information was to account for MB negotiations or perhaps the original pitch was rejected and this is the new direction? Or maybe even someone's ego got in the way and wanted a solo project? 😀

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

How exactly Daryl & whomever is getting across the Atlantic is an interesting question.

A mere triviality, for Maggie to take Liverpool we’ll need Daryl, Eugene and Morgan, Eugene for…… well everything and Morgan to provide the conveniently located Nuclear Submarine, if that’s not spin-off / crossover material then I don’t know what is 💰💰

• LOL 1

This is all on Norman Reedus probably. Kind of shitty of him to screw over a close friend (Melissa) and the entire film crew. And AMC for caving into their dirty, unwashed 'cash cow'. There is no way that 2 years ago the plan was for them to go to Europe. Otherwise MMB would have opted out right there. Norman's significant other is from Europe so they probably want to move there permanently, hence he most likely requested the change of location. MMB has lived where she lives since the 80's or so, of course she is not going to relocate to another continent for a show that might even just make it one Season. And she isn't getting any younger either so why bother.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Not only what Smad said but MMB was not being paid equal to NR even though they would've been co-stars. She's paid her dues, no need for all the hassle.

AMC statement:

“Melissa McBride has given life to one of the most interesting, real, human and popular characters in ‘The Walking Dead’ Universe. Unfortunately, she is no longer able to participate in the previously announced spin-off focused on the Daryl Dixon and Carol Peletier characters, which will be set and filmed in Europe this summer and premiere next year.

Relocating to Europe became logistically untenable for Melissa at this time. We know fans will be disappointed by this news, but ‘The Walking Dead’ Universe continues to grow and expand in interesting ways and we very much hope to see Carol again in the near future.”

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Smad said:

This is all on Norman Reedus probably. Kind of shitty of him to screw over a close friend (Melissa) and the entire film crew. And AMC for caving into their dirty, unwashed 'cash cow'. There is no way that 2 years ago the plan was for them to go to Europe. Otherwise MMB would have opted out right there. Norman's significant other is from Europe so they probably want to move there permanently, hence he most likely requested the change of location.

As much as I think keeping the show going whilst giving Reedus a boatload of cash was not a great idea for the quality of the show, I would not put this on him. 

Again, I always thought this spinoff was more of an unikely possibility than a reality and something they announced in order to justify all the cash they threw at Norman. But if it's going to happen both he and his gf are travellers, they both have roots in the U.S. and Kruger has mostly lived here for years. I would say it's more likely they chose Europe bc 1. if this turns out to be a series it will most def be short-lived and 2. even though there were some recent shots of Lincoln in GA it seems the Rick Grimes movie was pure fantasy - but Lincoln may be willing to step in for a few episodes if it's filmed close to his home.

A few articles have mentioned this and it's purely a guess but if it's a correct one I could understand why McBride would want to bail after sticking with a show who might now be accommodating a former co-star.

Also, what @diebartdie said - zero chance Mel was going to be compensated anywhere near the stratosphere of Reedus's salary. I'd stay home, too.

I agree the films are as dead in the water as the latest awful Fear Webisode, Lincoln will be back for a few episodes of whichever spin-off looks like being the least of a disaster. They’ll undoubtedly wave enough cash in front of Gurreira to facilitate the greatest reunion since Heston found Liberty.
McBride is worth too much to just have her killed off, this does at least add some more intrigue  and speculation to the run in.

• Love 2

‘Isle Of The Dead’: Gaius Charles Joins Lauren Cohan & Jeffrey Dean Morgan In ‘The Walking Dead’ Spinoff

“Charles will play Perlie Armstrong. He’s confident, ruthless, and unyielding in the pursuit of what he believes is justice, with the force of his will and his menace. Perlie enjoys his work and intersperses humor with the terror he incites. This is a family man, devoted to building a safe world for his wife and daughters. His journey unearths a loss he is haunted by. He has patience and resilience and walks rather than runs from his mistakes.”

Humour and Terror 🤔 now where have we seen that before?  

https://deadline.com/2022/04/isle-of-the-dead-gaius-charles-lauren-cohan-jeffrey-dean-morgan-the-walking-dead-spinoff-series-1235012056/

Edited by OoohMaggie

Just an aside, do I remember correctly that the original plan was for Carol & Daryl to "go west?" Did I make that up? 

I wonder if it's completely revamped for them to be in "Europe" now, or if it'll just be set there and filmed in Europe, like a Spaghetti Western. 

• Useful 1

Just an aside, do I remember correctly that the original plan was for Carol & Daryl to "go west?" Did I make that up? 

I wonder if it's completely revamped for them to be in "Europe" now, or if it'll just be set there and filmed in Europe, like a Spaghetti Western. 

I believe the original pitch was for them to travel the country. Sounds like Europe was a network/production change. Possibly to tie into movies or that other spinoff I never watched.

While I do think there's more involved than MMB simply deciding not to move (IMO Hollywood stuff mostly comes down to money and/or ego). I don't necessarily think it's Norm's fault.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It would make sense if they wanted to carry on with the French laboratory connection, what with talk of more evolved ‘Super Walkers’ on the horizon, a completely new setting could make that more believable.

I’d be surprised if a US setting but filmed in Spain would save enough, if any to cover the hassle  of doing it.

A European setting would have great appeal to those on both sides of the pond, if the films are scrapped then they can spread the money around and give us a decent slice of Manhattan and Paris action. 🗽🗼

• Love 1

Here's an interview with JDM shooting down the Norman Reedus rumor. What's the actual truth? We'll never know. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/walking-dead-jeffrey-dean-morgan-142625784.html

Omg shut UP Negan!

Seriously though, this is kind of a toxic retort blasted to all based on speculation of a few. And I would argue Negan's yikes, JDM's point re star power bc Reedus clearly has a lot more juice than McBride. And Morgan may have illustrated that by vociferously standing up for his male co-star regarding a decision made by a female one. 

Also, they were gonna call the show Carol & Daryl? That has to be made up. 

1 hour ago, chick binewski said:

Also, they were gonna call the show Carol & Daryl? That has to be made up. 

No, I'm sure it'll be called Continent of the Dead or something equally stupid. Isthmus of the Dead? 

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Considering the spinoff involves Negan and Maggie, they should name it TWD: Supernatural Alums.

Weren't they Bruce & Martha Wayne? They're probably not going to play up that part.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 4/29/2022 at 9:27 AM, Superclam said:

Maybe once they got started heading west, they just really really REALLY couldn’t bring themselves to stop for a while…?  😁

On 4/29/2022 at 9:27 AM, Superclam said:

This was my thought; parts of southern Italy and Spain are excellent analogues of the American Southwest.

• Love 1
On 4/29/2022 at 6:16 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I believe the original pitch was for them to travel the country. Sounds like Europe was a network/production change. Possibly to tie into movies or that other spinoff I never watched.

I doubt it will take place in America but just filmed in Europe. They put in that cliffhanger at the end of World Beyond and they will have to pay it off somehow. This way they won't have to make an actual TWD show centered around an entire European cast but can have one of their established characters go across the pond. Who knows though, you couldn't pay me enough to watch a show about Squinty McUnwashed. Well maybe if they paid me as much as Reedus I would have the show on while I sleep.

I got no interest in a show about McRapey and the woman who was assassinated to make him look great either. Just let this damn franchise die already...

• Love 2

Hopefully them saying they're looking how they can continue with Carol means she does NOT get killed off at the end of the main show. 

I'm ambivalent about the Maggie/Negan show (big city-based might be interesting) but if they added Carol I'd watch for sure.

Or if they did a time jump on Fear and fit her in there, I'd like that too. Can you imagine a community headed by ruthless ladies Carol and Madison? Mess with them at your peril.

Not interested in Daryl without Carol, I loved that relationship.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/1/2022 at 1:05 PM, Smad said:

doubt it will take place in America but just filmed in Europe. They put in that cliffhanger at the end of World Beyond and they will have to pay it off somehow.

Agreed.  They'd never use Europe as a stand in for US. I was saying the original announcement 2 years ago (or whenever it was announced) was Caryl road trip, it never mentioned Europe.  From everything that came out recently it sounds like filming/setting it in Europe was a recent decision and one that caused MMB to backout. 

Now why they moved it to Europe is beyond me...exchange rate alone would make it cost prohibitive.  However, maybe they think setting/filming in Europe will generate money over the dwindling US audience?

Edited by Morrigan2575

I've had mixed feelings about any of the announced spinoffs for awhile as we've already been watching most of these characters for more than a decade. How much new story can there possibly be? But I've long been a Carol fangirl so I felt obligated to at least give this spinoff a try. Now, maybe not so much as I've never made any secret of my opinion that Daryl is not a lead character anymore than Norman Reedus is a leading man. He's a great scene partner when paired with another strong actor but episodes that have starred just him with second strings have always always always fallen flat. Also really not interested in watching Daryl grease his way across Europe as the great unwashed American.

I don't really care all that much but something about AMC feeling compelled to put out a statement that Reedus has nothing to do with the location combined with JDM chomping at the bit to defend his newest bestie feels a little like they protest too much.

• Love 4
On 5/3/2022 at 12:59 AM, nodorothyparker said:

I don't really care all that much but something about AMC feeling compelled to put out a statement that Reedus has nothing to do with the location combined with JDM chomping at the bit to defend his newest bestie feels a little like they protest too much.

Oh absolutely. I don't buy it and that AMC was basically like...well Carol won't be in it because of MMB (so blame her). And nothing in regards to Reedus has anything to do with it, nuh uh. Nope.

Now don't get me wrong, something could be up with MMB aside from not wanting to relocate. From what I understand she was barely in the second third of this current Season so who knows.

But I don't believe in coincidences at all. This spin-off was announced how long ago? Before the pandemic even? That's over 2 years ago. During all this time nothing was said about it except for the *travel the country* part. But certainly not to travel Europe or just shooting in Europe. If that were the case I would imagine MMB would have opted out right there. And if a 'creative decision' announcement had come right after TWD: World Beyond ended (because of the cliffhanger), no one would be making a fuss except for fans expressing their disappointment that Carol won't be in it. But they want me to believe that it's just a fluke that this announcement comes right after Norman's SO got a job in Europe? And that no one is to blame (except maybe MMB but definitely not AMC or NR) and it's just a coincidence? Yeah, no.

And JDM needs to stay off Twitter. He could use the platform to rally for better pay for the female cast members (wonder how much more he is getting paid than Lauren in their spin-off. Instead of saying Negan isn't a rapist and defending his buddy that gets millions blown up his ass by AMC (and therefor can afford to live wherever and just up and leave) and pointing the finger at MMB again. Stop smelling your own farts dude.

• Love 1

So Reedus is also touting the line that MMB is tired and needs some time off after doing the show for 12 years and no one should read anything more into it than that. While teasing that he thinks the characters will meet up again down the road.

Norman Reedus says Melissa McBride deserves a break after 12 years of The Walking Dead

In his eyes, if anyone deserves a break after filming 11 seasons of the long-running AMC drama show over the course of 12 years, it's McBride.

"Twelve years is a grueling schedule," Reedus told Fallon. "She wanted to take some time off and she's doing that. She deserves it."

Still, Reedus believes this isn't the end of the Daryl-Carol story. "I imagine those characters are going to meet back up at some point, and they might even meet up with some other characters down the road," he said.

Which makes me wonder whether doing the talk show circuit for a spinoff that isn't even supposed to be out for at least another year was already on the schedule or AMC is ferrying him around to do damage control.

On 5/4/2022 at 12:09 PM, Smad said:

Oh absolutely. I don't buy it and that AMC was basically like...well Carol won't be in it because of MMB (so blame her). And nothing in regards to Reedus has anything to do with it, nuh uh. Nope.

It'll all come out in the end. 😃

59 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Walking Dead Q&A at Liverpool Comic Con 21st May 2022

Liverpool 😱😱😱😱😱 I live in Liverpool, WTF, that was well fkn advertised, if I’d discovered the beautiful one was eight miles from my house and I didn’t know, blood would be running in the gutters 🤬🤬🤬

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

Liverpool 😱😱😱😱😱 I live in Liverpool, WTF, that was well fkn advertised, if I’d discovered the beautiful one was eight miles from my house and I didn’t know, blood would be running in the gutters 🤬🤬🤬

I was going to ask if you were there, Mags. You missed it? 

7 minutes ago, Superclam said:

You missed it? 

That could have been devastating, three days after my birthday as well 🥺, I’m sure Nadia has got her fans but it would have been cool to see the boys, disaster averted 🥵

• Love 1
(edited)

Jeffrey Dean Morgan: Walking Dead Spinoff Will "Blow Your F-ing Minds"

“Cool. Here’s what I’ll say about #isleofthedead I’m BEYOND excited. Thrilled to continue this TWD journey as negan. I can’t tell you how excited I am to be working with @LaurenCohan. We’ve read the season, it’s gonna blow your minds. I repeat, BLOW YOUR FUCKING MINDS.”

I do hope he’s referring to the sublime quality of the forthcoming spin-off, rather than the desperate actions of gun owners, once again let down by promises already a thousand times heard 🤕🤕

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/jeffrey-dean-morgan-negan-walking-dead-spinoff-isle-of-the-dead-blow-your-minds/

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Mind Blown 1