Type keyword(s) to search

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

40 minutes ago, Dee said:

The protective dome that covers Wakanda's capital, doesn't cover the entirety of Wakanda.

And it doesn't stay closed all the time, since they didn't raise it until the final battle was about to start. I think people can land in the country itself, but the capital is cloaked unless you know the specific coordinates to land there. As for Sam and Bucky specifically, I think the impression that the former hates the latter is that Sam is the only person who gives him any grief, except for Tony, who out and out tried to kill him. When everyone else is okay with him, any static become twice as obvious.

Sam doesn't give Bucky any grief though. Once he's sure Bucky can be trusted, he treats Bucky almost exactly as he treats Natasha (who also tries to reach Bucky, albeit under extreme duress) & Steve.

Unlike Tony, who Bucky never opens up to, and who actively tries to murder Bucky when he learns the truth about his parents.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Dee said:

Sam doesn't give Bucky any grief though. Once he's sure Bucky can be trusted, he treats Bucky almost exactly as he treats Natasha (who also tries to reach Bucky, albeit under extreme duress) & Steve.

Yeah, definitely.  And because there was so little screen time with these characters (nope, still not over that), and so few points of onscreen contact, it leaves a really wide range of off-screen headcanons as totally plausible.  

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Dee said:

Yep, it's easy to fall into fanon at times, which is why going by what occurred onscreen, help keeps things straight.

Though what is on screen is often ambiguous as hell, especially with these guys (and that's probably one of the things I love best about them).  But there was a really good rule on the old board urging posters not to state opinions as facts.  It was a good rule.  

So I finally rewatched it...  

I still find Loki's final act interesting.  Thanos was leaving, they were done.  He didn't have to speak up, and he was (intentionally?) unconvincing in his offer of help, especially calling himself 'Odinson' before he attempted his final strike.  He's also a trickster and a magical being, so while TH might be done with the MCU... I will not be shocked if we see Loki again.  Also, because of what a tool Thanos is, I feel like Loki would understand that there was far more likelihood that Thanos would leave Thor alive (instead of finishing the job of obliterating him with the Power stone and/or the Space stone), if he left him in grief after Loki's 'death', because he would get great enjoyment out the idea of Thor being alive to suffer over the death of his brother (similar to how he left Eitri alive).  

The aerial micro-glimpse of Tony's Avenger's complex was very cool (I may have paused on that for... a bit), especially the tiny snippet of the quinjet landing.  

I loooooved every moment Thor was on screen even more than I did the first few times, he made everything and everyone around him brighter and deeper and funnier and more poignant for me by an order of magnitude.  

Nomad!Steve is still the hottest thing on two legs.  

When Thanos was killing half of Gamora's planet, I just kept thinking that someone should tattoo on Thanos' massive forehead that there is no such thing as achieving 'perfect balance'.  And also "Tool". 

Based on a number of things in Steve's reactions and other people's reactions to various conversations, I still get the feeling that Steve has kept his knowledge of Wakanda, and the true extent of their capabilities to himself (people who know T'Challa personally obviously have an idea, but I think that's as far as it goes).  And it was a nice segue from Steve's "I know someone" to T'Challa and Okoye going to see Bucky, since Shuri is the connecting factor there with her being the one who was able to untangle the complicated mess in Bucky's head (even though that isn't something that is stated in the movie canon).  And I would guess that Steve had already been in contact with T'Challa, warning him of the situation, and had his permission to tell the others about Wakanda given the overall circumstances, when he brought that up.       

I had not paid much attention to Strange's cape the few times I saw this in the theater, but I noticed it here in the background (especially in the scene with Tony and Peter when Strange was being tortured) and it was hilarious.  

I think Nidavellir ended up being my favorite set piece.  

I wonder what wonderful toys Tony might have had at the Avengers Compound that could have helped in the Wakanda battle, but were unavailable since he was otherwise occupied on another planet.  Because I could totally see him keeping the true extent of his 'preparedness' from Rhodey, because he wouldn't want Rhodey concerned about his mental state (and he wouldn't want Ross to know anything about it either).  

Favorite line reading:  Okoye - "Why was she up there all this time?" (though, since the bad guys broke into the lab right after that, we know why...)

One thing related to the time stone that I didn't pick up on before... when Thanos reversed the explosion of Vision's stone, he only reversed that specific action.  Wanda wasn't reversed, it was just the effects of the explosion.  I had never really thought about it working like that (and I've only seen Dr. Strange once, on an airplane, and don't remember much about it), so I guess if they do mess with time in A4, it wouldn't necessarily undo everything that happens from this point?  I don't know, but messing with time still makes my head hurt.  

And, since the big theme was Thanos using everyone's connections to their loved ones against them in order to 'win', I feel like it would be really cool if those same connections (the ones that have been lost) can be turned around to be the instrument of Thanos' eventual undoing.  Also, there is no finish line.  No matter who wins in any given moment (good guys or bad guys), there's always another turn.  

• Love 11
29 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

Though what is on screen is often ambiguous as hell, especially with these guys (and that's probably one of the things I love best about them).  But there was a really good rule on the old board urging posters not to state opinions as facts.  It was a good rule. 

There's plenty which could be construed as ambiguous in this series, but facts remain facts, which are important aspect of establishing impartial thoroughlines for discussion. And there was another awesome rule on the old board urging posters to avoid boards on boards. It was a pretty rad rule too.

It's interesting that Wanda is so strong that she can simultaneously destroy the mind stone and hold off a fully powered Thanos, but couldn't control her powers in Lagos.

If what remained of Gamora's planet is now thriving, why was she said to be the only member of her race left in Guardians?

If Heimdall had enough power to send Hulk/Bruce back to Earth, why didn't he send Thor too?

4 minutes ago, Dee said:

It's interesting that Wanda is so strong that she can simultaneously destroy the mind stone and hold off a fully powered Thanos, but couldn't control her powers in Lagos.

She's also had more time to practice.

• Love 7

Plus her connection to the Mind Stone made it vulnerable to her in a way it wouldn't be to almost anything else. (I'm also not entirely convinced it wouldn't have reassembled itself a few minutes later the way the Aether/Reality Stone did when Thor blew it up.)

• Love 4
On 8/19/2018 at 5:01 PM, Wynterwolf said:

I loooooved every moment Thor was on screen even more than I did the first few times, he made everything and everyone around him brighter and deeper and funnier and more poignant for me by an order of magnitude.  

Nomad!Steve is still the hottest thing on two legs.  

It is amazing how Thor has come into his own. Ragnarok was the best thing that happened to the character. Feige was smart (and a bit brave) to let Hemsworth and Waititi take Thor in a new comedic and emotional direction with the Russo brothers staying the course with the new Thor in Infinity War. Hemsworth finally seems to love Thor, embracing the role without reservation and has become one of the centerpieces in the MCU. And at a critical time for Marvel, if the rumor about Evans departing is true, MCU is going to need Thor more than ever.

Hemsworth and Evans are my two favorite Chrises. I can't decide which one I find more sexy and handsome. I will take them both, thank you very much. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 16
6 hours ago, Dee said:

I still can't get over that Thanos actually thought he was comforting Wanda, that that's one of her last memories before she dusted. If he left Thor alive so he could suffer about Loki's death, it's worse to see him with his ginormous hand on Wanda's head acting like he's being kind to her. Blech. Tool, indeed.

• Love 13

Speaking of tools, why didn't Rhodey just flat-out tell Ross to go fuck himself instead his "All over it" response to the command to arrest them? Yes, I know he meant it sarcastically, but still.

(Rhodey isn't the tool, Ross is)

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

Speaking of tools, why didn't Rhodey just flat-out tell Ross to go fuck himself instead his "All over it" response to the command to arrest them? Yes, I know he meant it sarcastically, but still.

(Rhodey isn't the tool, Ross is)

Since Steve was already in the room, maybe he didn't have to get a lecture about using foul language?  After-all, Age of Ultron established that was issue for Steve!

• Love 3

I was rewatching and I hope in the next movie we see Shuri or the Science Bros offering Nebula some upgrades. I bet Banner would be intrigued by her being so, robotic (is that even right?).

I think it would be nice that someone other than Gamora is nice to her. In fact, I hope we see Nebula meeting other Avengers, especially Nat, Okoye, and possibly Valkryie. It could be an interesting coversation between Nat and Nebula, they both have a lot of red in their ledgers. Or an offhand comment when Banner finally gets his Hulk on for her to say to Nat “I get why you like him.”

I wonder if Nakia survived the Snappening. I know they didnt think Black Panther was going to be such a hit, but I would love if they did some reshoots to have her helping out.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

I wonder if Nakia survived the Snappening. I know they didnt think Black Panther was going to be such a hit, but I would love if they did some reshoots to have her helping out.

The Russos didn't say it straight out, but they did kind of hint that she was okay.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, starri said:

The Russos didn't say it straight out, but they did kind of hint that [Nakia] was okay.

I've been taking it for granted that since we saw all of the Snappening deaths, any we didn't see means the character in question is still alive, but I read somewhere that Shuri and Ramonda are still alive as well, so it seems like it skipped over everyone from the Wakanda contingent but T'Challa, since M'Baku also survived.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I've been taking it for granted that since we saw all of the Snappening deaths, any we didn't see means the character in question is still alive, but I read somewhere that Shuri and Ramonda are still alive as well, so it seems like it skipped over everyone from the Wakanda contingent but T'Challa, since M'Baku also survived.

They said that Betty Ross and Sif got Snapped, that Aunt May and I think Val didn't, and wouldn't comment on Shuri, Ned, or Korg.

Also, Aunt May not knowing that Peter got dusted far, far from home (see what I did there?) gives me a sad.

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So I was just thinking, if the snap meant that half of all life would be dusted, does that mean there would have been a 50/50 chance of Thanos himself getting dusted?

With a "soul" stone in play and absolute meta knowledge that Peter Parker comes back to life I am thinking that last scene with Thanos at his farm was just that. A snaptured Thanos in the same place with Spider-Man, Black Panther and  the "dead" half of all living beings.

• Love 2

There's a fan theory out there (saw on YouTube then screenrant) that Banner in Infinity War is really Loki and that's why he can't Hulk. It's an interesting theory but seems to overlook the scene where Banner tried to Hulk and he refused. That was a standalone scene, Loki/Banner wouldn't have needed to pretend.

What does everyone else think? On one hand it would be a cool in character twist, on the other hand it's been done before plus kind of diminishes Loki's final redemption.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

There's a fan theory out there (saw on YouTube then screenrant) that Banner in Infinity War is really Loki and that's why he can't Hulk. It's an interesting theory but seems to overlook the scene where Banner tried to Hulk and he refused. That was a standalone scene, Loki/Banner wouldn't have needed to pretend.

I think that's mainly wishful thinking by Tom Hiddleston fans, which I totally get.  The scene you mention pretty effectively refutes that as a narrative possibility, I think, and it would short circuit the arc they've been talking about since Ragnarok for Banner's character.  I do, however, think that Loki as a character could come back/be reborn (but as a different, probably younger, actor for his base form, though since he's a shape shifter, he could even still appear as TH on occasion).  Magic can create endless possibilities.  

eta: I also don't think Loki would have allowed himself to fall in the hulk-buster suit, even to perpetuate the illusion that he was Banner.

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

What does everyone else think? On one hand it would be a cool in character twist, on the other hand it's been done before plus kind of diminishes Loki's final redemption.

I hate this theory and disagree with it. First of all it makes no sense, as we see the Hulk in the movie when he yell's "No".  There was no one else around, so "Loki" wouldn't have to do that in the first place. I think the theory undermines the character development for Bruce since Ragnarok. He just spend years as the hulk and is adjusting to being there again, this could explain any weirdness the character had.  During the whole battle Bruce realizes that the hulk won't help, therefore it was his time to fight. He uses the suit that Tony made, and even mentions something about how strange it was for him to use it, Loki wouldn't even have known what the suit was for.  Also, there have been people involved with the movie that mentioned that the Hulk is tired of fighting for Bruce and wants to be out again. They wouldn't say that if he wasn't there.  I really do hope this theory is false as it would destroy two character stories if true.

I can see that they will have Loki not be dead, but to be honest I think it would be a mistake to bring him back. The character had a complete arc and had a really good ending.  I think there are times when a character needs to stay dead for the story.  Loki's story has already been told.

• Love 5

Ugh, yeah no. What would the point even be of pretending to be Banner? Where would the real Banner be? Is he just going to shift back into Loki and yell "tricked ya!"? 
I'm fine with Loki being dead. Maybe it wasn't the most badass way to go, but he can stay dead. 

• Love 5
On 9/15/2018 at 5:26 PM, ChromaKelly said:

Ugh, yeah no. What would the point even be of pretending to be Banner? Where would the real Banner be? Is he just going to shift back into Loki and yell "tricked ya!"? 
I'm fine with Loki being dead. Maybe it wasn't the most badass way to go, but he can stay dead. 

I hate that theory too, not only because of where is the real Banner, but becuse Bruce's "you guys are so screwed" line when Thor shows up in Wakanda is awesome, and doesn't really work as well if that's not Bruce.

• Love 2
On 9/11/2018 at 2:27 PM, shireenbamfatheon said:

I know being a mischief-maker was Loki's whole shtick, but him taking the Tesseract and consequently getting half his people killed made me lose any sympathy for him during his last moments. If it wasn't for Thor's reaction, I would've been pretty apathetic about Loki's death. 

Even ignoring the Snapture, Thanos was going to kill half of the Asguardians anyway. He killed half the population of Zen Whoberi, Gamora's home world. There was neither an infinity stone found there nor was he looking for one on her planet. He already had the Chitauri and Outriders. This is clearly around the time that Thanos found it to be too much work to manually kill half the population of the universe going from planet to planet. While he found it inefficient to kill half the people on his own, that doesn't mean that he was going to hold off on doing that until he found all of the stones in the gauntlet. He killed all of the dwarves except Eitri with no stones. He killed at least half of Xandar to get to the power stone.

He only wants the stones to make this whole thing easier and faster so he can retire to his farm. However, even if he never got the stones he'd be doing everything in his power to kill half of all people everywhere.

• Love 5

Did Thanos know that Loki had the Tesseract, come to that? Because Thor didn't, didn't even know that all but one of the dwarves were dead until he went to the forge. He seemed to think that with Asgard obliterated, the Tesseract and the stone it contained would have been destroyed with it. But there were already bodies all over the place in the refugee ship, so I think somehow Thanos knew the cube was somewhere onboard, but like with Nebula and Gamora, he needed to use pain and fear so he could get it.

Even when Thanos has not had any opposition to obtaining a stone he still kills tons of people. He basically destroyed Knowhere and killed everyone just to get the Aether/reality stone when we know that the only likely opposition was from the Collector and Cosmo, who we're not sure has his powers in the MCU.

I think people look at Thanos' path of destruction the wrong way. He doesn't kill people in order to get the stones. He searches for the stones in order to kill people. Killing people and bringing balance is his calling, his higher purpose, his raison d'etre. The stones and the gauntlet reaffirms, to him, the righteousness of his mission because otherwise he might spend all of his lifetime trying to "bring balance" and never get anywhere. To hold off on killing people until he gets  all of the stones is procrastination and hypocrisy. The stones are not and have never been the purpose. The eradication of half of life is the purpose. So if he has to kill half or all of the people standing in his way to making sure all of the universe gets to experience this "blessing" then he'll kill them all.

Culling the population of the universe for him is as holy a mission as freeing people from slavery or bringing them religion. This is his religion. He preaches death, sacrifice, and balance. So it doesn't matter if the Asguardians had the Tesseract. Thanos was already going to kill half of them whether they had the stone or not. He would kill half of the lives in Surtur's realm as he looked for the Tesseract. And half of the lives where ever Hela might have run off to if she survived Ragnarok. Regardless of where he searched, regardless of whether they had a stone, it is a constant that least half of those people would be dead if they encountered Thanos.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 15
12 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Did Thanos know that Loki had the Tesseract, come to that? Because Thor didn't, didn't even know that all but one of the dwarves were dead until he went to the forge. He seemed to think that with Asgard obliterated, the Tesseract and the stone it contained would have been destroyed with it. But there were already bodies all over the place in the refugee ship, so I think somehow Thanos knew the cube was somewhere onboard, but like with Nebula and Gamora, he needed to use pain and fear so he could get it.

I just assumed he used the Power Stone or to track the Space Stone.  I supposed it could have also been a case of Destroying Xandar to get the Power Stone, then going to Asgard to get the Space stone, finding Asgard destroyed and tracking the closest ship in the vicinity.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So I watched this again on the weekend with my kids after borrowing it from the library, and I am still scratching my head trying to figure out who "control" was that Nick Fury told Maria Hill to call.

Remember in Age Of Ultron they had those crew members from the helicarrier. Not official pre Winter Soldier big SHIELD, or Coulson's semi black SHIELD but they have people working for them

What I caught on re-watch was the snapture happening moments after they detected the assault ships dropping on Wakanda as if that entire battle took only seconds. Even with that time snap back Thanos used to save the stone I was going wait a minute.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 2
On 9/16/2018 at 9:28 PM, HunterHunted said:

Even ignoring the Snapture, Thanos was going to kill half of the Asguardians anyway.

But Thanos wouldn't have sought out the Asgardians if Loki hadn't stolen the Tesseract. They would have survived a bit longer until he got all the stones.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

But Thanos wouldn't have sought out the Asgardians if Loki hadn't stolen the Tesseract. They would have survived a bit longer until he got all the stones.

I'm sort of skeptical about that. Loki leaves it there. It's taken by whoever was left standing after Ragnarok. The Black Order scans space, finds the Asgardian refugees, and Thanos still kills half of them trying to figure out where Hela or Surtur would have taken it. If it's salvaged by Ravagers, the Black Order would scan space and probably still come after the refugees. If it's left on Asgard and no one claims it, Thanos takes it and the refugees get a whole extra 3 or 4 days of life before The Snapture. Hell maybe even less because the only reason the Avengers and Guardians even know to mount any kind of attack to stop Thanos is because he killed half of the remaining Asgardian refugees. These people were always goners.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I'm sort of skeptical about that. Loki leaves it there. It's taken by whoever was left standing after Ragnarok. The Black Order scans space, finds the Asgardian refugees, and Thanos still kills half of them trying to figure out where Hela or Surtur would have taken it. If it's salvaged by Ravagers, the Black Order would scan space and probably still come after the refugees. If it's left on Asgard and no one claims it, Thanos takes it and the refugees get a whole extra 3 or 4 days of life before The Snapture. Hell maybe even less because the only reason the Avengers and Guardians even know to mount any kind of attack to stop Thanos is because he killed half of the remaining Asgardian refugees. These people were always goners.

I am not convinced that Surtur (who I presume won) would have bothered to take the Tesseract. I still think that Loki brought Thanos to the Asgardian to them sooner, but he still would have killed half of them so maybe it isn't a big deal.

Edited by SimoneS
On 9/16/2018 at 8:51 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I hate that theory too, not only because of where is the real Banner, but becuse Bruce's "you guys are so screwed" line when Thor shows up in Wakanda is awesome, and doesn't really work as well if that's not Bruce.

I agree that Loki should stay dead, but I actually like the idea of Loki happily cheering when his big brother shows up because he believes in Thor.

14 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Speaking of Surtur I wonder if he survived the Snap. And is he just sitting around by himself in a busted up Asgard?

Come to that,  we don't know if Hela survived the fight with Surtur, I don't think. Don't Thor, Hulk and Valkyrie escape after Thor says 'for once in your life, don't smash!"? Asgard blowing up cuts down on the chances of either of them living long enough to get to the Snapture, though.

I saw this last week on Reddit.

https://amp.cinemablend.com/news/2460702/bucky-almost-rocked-a-wakandan-look-in-infinity-war

It reminds me of my Bucky related disappointments in Infinity War:

1. A longer reunion with Steve and
  2. Something that tied Bucky a little more to Wakanda:
  • joining in on the "yibambe" chant,
  • maybe drop a little Xhosa, and
  • now I can add a Wakandan inspired outfit.

The man had been there for 2 years. He'd been raising goats and the Wakandans trusted him enough to give him a new arm and put him on the frontlines. I feel like he might have joined in on the chant or another Wakandan jokingly calls him "old man" in Xhosa while they await Thanos' attack.

I suspect that they didn't know what they were really going to do with him after Avengers 4. Whether he was going to take on the mantle of Cap, be the White Wolf, or the Winter Soldier-reformed assassin.

• Love 8
56 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I suspect that they didn't know what they were really going to do with him after Avengers 4. Whether he was going to take on the mantle of Cap, be the White Wolf, or the Winter Soldier-reformed assassin.

With not putting him in that outfit and now the news of the Sam/Bucky show it does seem like they're not going to go with the White Wolf. I just need some news about something dammit. This dry spell is killing me.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

It reminds me of my Bucky related disappointments in Infinity War:

TWO. MINUTES.  2 minutes of screen time.  UGH.  

But the streaming series could still be White Wolf related.  And Sam is helping (BECAUSE STEVE HAS TO STAY BEHIND TO TAKE CARE OF THE GOATS!!!).  

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

TWO. MINUTES.  2 minutes of screen time.  UGH.

I know. I know.

5 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

But the streaming series could still be White Wolf related.  And Sam is helping (BECAUSE STEVE HAS TO STAY BEHIND TO TAKE CARE OF THE GOATS!!!).  

This would probably anger me more. Why? After they failed to capitalize on Ben & Jerry's "Stark Raving Hazelnuts" and "Hulka Hulka Burning Fudge," I'd be a little bit extra miffed if they never produced a cheese from "Best Buddies''" or "Stucky's"  Wakandan Creamery, especially because I would have loved to hear about a Wakandan grassfed goat cheese infused with African truffles.

I'm also still irritated that we've never seen Ulysses Klaue's Soundcloud account/playlist.

• Love 2
On 10/10/2018 at 10:25 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Come to that,  we don't know if Hela survived the fight with Surtur, I don't think. Don't Thor, Hulk and Valkyrie escape after Thor says 'for once in your life, don't smash!"? Asgard blowing up cuts down on the chances of either of them living long enough to get to the Snapture, though.

Spoiler

Rumors have Hela appearing in A4

23 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

[Bucky] had been there for 2 years. He'd been raising goats and the Wakandans trusted him enough to give him a new arm and put him on the frontlines. I feel like he might have joined in on the chant or another Wakandan jokingly calls him "old man" in Xhosa while they await Thanos' attack.

Of course, this just raises the question of what Barnes was up to while Killmonger was trying to take the throne, since both T'Challa and Shuri knew he was still in Wakanda. Hell, Shuri was actively helping him acclimate, since in the end credits scene in Black Panther she tells him something like, 'There's a lot left to be done, so let's get to work.'

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Of course, this just raises the question of what Barnes was up to while Killmonger was trying to take the throne, since both T'Challa and Shuri knew he was still in Wakanda. Hell, Shuri was actively helping him acclimate, since in the end credits scene in Black Panther she tells him something like, 'There's a lot left to be done, so let's get to work.'

It's definitely dodgy timing (especially with Shuri's comment about "another broken white boy" so Shuri obviously knew about Bucky already, even if he wasn't there yet), but the tie-in comic adds in that Bucky didn't go into cryo immediately after CW, but that there was some time passing (and Bucky was with Steve when Steve got everyone out of the Raft).  So since Killmonger came in right after CW ended, the implication (though it isn't on screen so it's basically canon adjacent) is that Bucky wasn't there when Killmonger was, and didn't arrive to be put into cryo until after everything was sorted out.  And it was quite a while later before Shuri figured out how to break the trigger words, and get him out of cryo.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 1