Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Return to Skyfire

• Start Topic

I didn't enjoy this one as much as last year's episode with DC Parlov (which brought us the famous BOOOOOONE scene starring Raymond Holt) - it was a little too predictable. That being said: the moment Holt drew eyes and a smiley face on Boyle there were tears of laughter shed in my house.

• Love 2

I can't recall any previous Brooklyn Nine-Nine episodes that I would call simply "bad"... but I would with this one. There were certainly individual funny moments, in the writing and acting. But repeatedly the show committed the sin that it usually avoids so well, selling out the characters for a sake of a joke. If Amy and Capt. Holt discovered that they had made a mistake in encasing Boyle in a head cast, their first concern would be his safety and getting him out quickly, appearances be damned. I can believe that Jake and Terry would bond over fantasy books and even quote together, but not that they would join arms and skip away singing (is the tune in the book somehow?). Too much was just crammed in any old way, and our characters became unrecognizable. Too bad, but it didn't affect any long-term continuity so I can ignore this episode in the future.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 4

I thought the woman stole the books, not her husband. Was surprised none of the detectives even considered that possibility.

Also, they did zero computer forensics.

Sloppy. They are usually more competent as detectives and don't just guess.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2

This episode was definitely lacking for me. I wouldn't say it was the worst episode, but B99 usually does a lot better.

For the most part I just didn't like how Rosa, Holt, and Amy were used this episode. They are my 3 favorites, so that really brought down my feelings about the episode.. It didn't feel like Rosa was necessary at all in the Terry/Jake plot and I don't think we saw much of Amy and Holt's personalities in their plot with Charles and the forensics's guy. It did feel that Amy/Holt reacted the way that they did to service the storyline, rather than the characters normal personalities shining through. I just think they could have done a lot more with that storyline.

That being said, I'm really excited for the 99th episode next week! This was a poor filler episode, but I'm really hopefully that they will give us an amazing milestone episode next week.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

The opening credits remind me how much more flattering Andy Samberg's current haircut is. 

Ha, during the credits I thought "wow, Terry's teeth have changed." Maybe it's because usually I'm fast forwarding through the opening credits, and tonight I watched them live. 

I agree that there were some "off" things about this episode. But I did laugh at the three Rosas sitting at the table. Was the front one her, or just someone who looked remarkably like her? 

• Love 1

I still laughed a few times, but it was probably the weakest episode of the season so far.  I enjoyed all of the send-ups of fantasy writing and conventions during the main plot, but both of the authors stealing their own laptops in order to leak out the first chapters of their novels was a pretty weak motive.  I guess it was suppose to be so that can get the insurance money too, but I just felt like there is a much easier way for both of them to build-up hype for their novels then doing all of that.  Still enjoy Fred Melamed as basically a lecherous George R.R. Martin and Rob Huebel was fun as the other author too (can't tell if he's suppose to be based off of anyone.)

The B-plot was worse though, because while I get that Boyle's need to tell stories is obnoxious, I felt like Holt and Amy went way too far to shut him up.  And I really don't buy that either one of the characters would have waited that long to confess their screw-up.  Did like seeing Reggie Lee (Wu!) as Dr. Yee.

Not enough Rosa, but I did like that her normal outfit is the exact same outfit as some steampunk character, so she automatically fitted in the convention without even knowing it.

Definitely a filler episode, but it still went by fast, so I can't complain too much.

• Love 2

I think the B-plot didn't work as well for me because I love when Amy is being dorky and endearingly socially awkward---not when she's written as disapproving of someone else being dorky and socially awkward, as she sometimes seems to be when in a storyline with Charles. 

I liked the A plot more than most seemed to, but maybe it's just because I relate to being a bad writer who continues to do it anyway. I now have yet another reason to love Terry! I agree that some of the humor seemed too silly, but a lot of the show's humor is always a little too silly for me - it just depends on whether it's counterbalanced by other times of humor that I enjoy more and great character moments.

I agree that this was the weakest episode of the season, but this season has been nearly flawless so far IMO, so even its worst episode isn't that bad for me! I'm predicting my worst episode will be the one where Gina makes her unwelcome (to me) return :)

• Love 4

Hmm - glad to see I wasn't the only one underwhelmed by this episode. And it's funny, but as much as I like this show, I have very little retention for previous episodes. I did not remember DC Parlov or Terry's love of his fantasy books from a previous episode. I have only the vaguest memory of it. What was their previous dealing with him?

• Love 1

Yeah, this one didn't quite work. In particular I felt that the Holt character had been rewritten by someone. He just seemed different.

Still, there were funny parts. I loved Jake and Terry speaking in sync. The song snippet and dance was cute and funny. I liked Boyle blurting out personal stories.

• Love 1

This wasn't as good as the last few episodes, mainly because I thought Holt and Amy were rather uncaring to poor Boyle (although they came around in the end), and the mystery itself was predictable. I knew what was going to happen as soon as we met the other author, and it was weird that they didnt figure it out quicker, especially since he had obvious info on his computer. 

That being said, I still laughed a lot, especially at Rosa and her steampunk outfit "you look like every female bounty hunter in every steampunk book ever! You just need welding googles!" "...I`ll go get them" followed by the table of Rosa cosplayers. And then Rosa ends up loving the books anyway. Plus, Terry and Jake skipping around singing elfin songs will never got be hilarious. 

Kind of amazing how little I miss Gina this season. She was always pretty hit or miss for me, (she can be funny, but just as often annoying) but I dont miss her at all the way I think I would miss anyone else. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought the woman stole the books, not her husband. Was surprised none of the detectives even considered that possibility.

Also, they did zero computer forensics.

Sloppy. They are usually more competent as detectives and don't just guess.

I thought the writers had writer's block, and were trying to come up with an excuse to not meet their deadlines while also getting the insurance money.  (What are they insured for?  Not someone stealing the manuscript, because surely it is backed up somewhere; can you get insurance for someone leaking your manuscript?)

Also, I think Jake and Terry said the 3rd, married writer's little boy looked just like Fred Melamed (Parlov), but shouldn't it have been Rob Huebel's character?

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Also, I think Jake and Terry said the 3rd, married writer's little boy looked just like Fred Melamed (Parlov), but shouldn't it have been Rob Huebel's character?

I was confused by that, too. The little boy looked nothing like Parlov. 

• Love 3

Ditto on the confusion. I was going to rewind in order to look for a resemblance, but I decided to let it go.

And ItCouldBeWorse, why do you say it should have been Huebel's character?

1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I thought the writers had writer's block, and were trying to come up with an excuse to not meet their deadlines while also getting the insurance money.  (What are they insured for?  Not someone stealing the manuscript, because surely it is backed up somewhere; can you get insurance for someone leaking your manuscript?)

I have no idea if it's a real thing, but I thought the insurance was being blackmailed.

19 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

(What are they insured for?  Not someone stealing the manuscript, because surely it is backed up somewhere; can you get insurance for someone leaking your manuscript?)

You can get insurance for anything as long you can find someone who will underwrite it.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I really thought Boyle's story telling was going to have some kind of payoff, like he was going to befriend the instructor or tell a story about removing casts, so i was surprised it was kind of pointless.

Me too. I thought for sure one of his stories would land with the instructor and be the key to getting them certified.

• Love 4

Oof.  This one was a swing and a big miss.  This did not feel like a B99 episode at all.

I thought the B-plot with Amy, Holt and Boyle was so bad.  And that is saying something because anything with Amy + Holt should be comedy gold.

The A-plot was only marginally better because it had at least a few things that made me chuckle: 1) Rosa's eyeroll and 2) Rosa looking like most of the heroines on Urban Fantasy and Steampunk books ...cuz she totally does and 3) the Diversity panel -- because the struggle is real.  Believe it or not, that is what some diversity panels actually look like at writing conventions.

I wonder if they knew this episode was a bit of a turkey and that is why they aired it during this typically low viewership time?  It certainly didn't contain any continuity so it feels like it could have been plopped in anywhere in the schedule.

• Love 2
On 12/1/2017 at 11:49 AM, DearEvette said:

I wonder if they knew this episode was a bit of a turkey and that is why they aired it during this typically low viewership time? 

As it turns out, B-99 was up by one tenth in the demo for this episode and the previous one, compared to earlier in November.

On 11/28/2017 at 11:09 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

This episode felt different. Did someone who doesn't usually direct it or write it, direct it or write it?

A bit belated, but (because I didn't care for this one either and was wondering too) the credited writer, Neil Campbell, wrote last season's "Mr. Santiago" and "The Slaughterhouse," and this was the fifth episode for the director, Linda Mendoza, who directed "AC/DC," "Into the Woods" and "The Last Ride." I'm not sure what went wrong this time around, since it did seem off. But every show, and perhaps every writer and director, has a weak entry for whatever reason.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

A bit belated, but (because I didn't care for this one either and was wondering too) the credited writer, Neil Campbell, wrote last season's "Mr. Santiago" and "The Slaughterhouse," and this was the fifth episode for the director, Linda Mendoza, who directed "AC/DC," "Into the Woods" and "The Last Ride." I'm not sure what went wrong this time around, since it did seem off. But every show, and perhaps every writer and director, has a weak entry for whatever reason.

Thank you for doing the research and sharing it with us!

• Love 1

My husband states he doesn't like B99. I think he would if he would actually watch it instead of being on his computer and not really paying attention. So which episode does he choose to sit and watch? This one. It just confirmed he doesn't like the show. ?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

My husband states he doesn't like B99. I think he would if he would actually watch it instead of being on his computer and not really paying attention. So which episode does he choose to sit and watch? This one. It just confirmed he doesn't like the show. ?

Force him to watch 99. If that one doesn't draw him in, it's a lost cause. This episode definitely felt off, but the next one more than makes up for it. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

Force him to watch 99. If that one doesn't draw him in, it's a lost cause. This episode definitely felt off, but the next one more than makes up for it. 

It was better, but I don't think it was a "convincer." The people I know who I've recommended it to but won't watch don't like Andy Samberg. He showed the limitations of his range in 99, I think. 

I think really knowing the characters, their quirks, likes, dislikes, histories, is required to love the show. Individual jokes may be funny to a newcomer, but you don't get as much out of it without knowing what all happened before.

• Love 1

Yes, if I were coming in cold, even an episode as good as "99" wouldn't do much for me. I think that's true for pretty much all good series these days: serialization has become so much the norm that we don't even think about it any more.

I have to agree that this wasn't a strong episode. I didn't really enjoy it, besides the part with Rosa accidentally looking like the heroine from another book. I wish Boyle's storytelling actually went somewhere. I also think they misstepped because they didn't show a flashback of past lecturers being bothered by Boyle's stories.

Sadly, I don't even have that much to say. On to the 99th episode, I guess!