Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: eXtreme measures

Bort

Eclipse receives a call from his ex-lover, Carmen, and must revisit his dark past in order to protect the Underground. Reed and Sage comb through some secret files they recovered and find alarming information about Lauren's new friend. Meanwhile, Thunderbird helps Blink open up about her past life and Jace greenlights a special surveillance program with the help of Dr. Campbell.

Trask Industries! I said that this guy was their Trask, but he is actually is Trask. I love this development.

Oh Marcos. Lorna is right to be ticked off. It is scary how much he loved burning the drugs up. They are going to have to kill Carmen if she keeps this up.

Dreamer, wake up! Johnny is just not that into you. He needs to push the words out of his mouth tell her that he is falling in love with Clarissa.

I really enjoyed the Strucker family drama. They have good chemistry. Farewell Wes, you weren't around long, but I liked you. At least, Lauren macked on him before he left.

The preview looks even better. The mutant trait does run in Reed's family. It will be interesting to learn what Reed's father has been up to.

Edited by SimoneS

Another episode where it felt like the show was treading water and there were too many storylines going on at once. The shots of Marcos blowing up stuff made me laugh, and not in a good way. How ~dramatic!

Can Jace just die already? I'm already feeling the MASSIVE eyeroll coming on when he goes "oh noes, apparently getting in bed with a super shady agency means they want you to be involved in super shady things. Who knew?"

The Struckers continue to be the best (and best-acted) part of this show, but it feels like the writers don't know what to do with them now that they're (relatively) safely ensconced with the Underground.

• Love 8

Oh snap, Trask Industries! The people who say "you know, I love what those guys over at Hydra are doing! Lets follow their model, but make it bigger"! Jace might have a tragic backstory, and he might be getting squeamish seeing just how nasty his new buddy is, but he has lost all of my sympathy at this point. Yeah, I am positive his daughter would have been thrilled to see her dad trampling on peoples rights and trying to murder children. 

I still think the Strucker family dynamics are my favorite part of the show. They really work well together as a family, and have great chemistry. I like seeing them come to terms with the corrupt system they were compliment in, and how they're fitting into the mutant underground. I do like the greater development for the other mutants though, especially with John and Dreamer. 

It seems like the show is setting things into place for something really big. This was a bit of a filler episode, moving some pieces around, but I still thought it was pretty solid. 

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Dreamer, wake up! Johnny is just not that into you.

It cracks me up how Johnny looks like he wants to chew his arm off to get away from her.

In related news: Dreamer scares me more than Lorna does. She looked way too gleeful getting to mindfuck that cartel guard at the gate.

• Love 8

Another episode, more angst. Which should be par for the course about any show centering on Marvel mutants. I think any mutant that could resolve problems and alleviate anguish would be considered Omega Level.

So much for Lauren having a steady/shady boyfriend. Seriously, though, if the kid didn't murder anybody or betray his species, and he doesn't bring the feds and/or Sentinel Services down on the sanctuary, then why should anybody care?

Why didn't anybody see the DoJ Lady going into that and think, "Hey, I think this might be mutant-related"? Story convenience, I guess.

• Love 3

Show is really close to jumping the shark for me....C'mon!!!  ALL the captured mutants are short and/or ugly compared to our heros?  That was sad.

I wanted to see like what you would read in books - kids training in a yard, some organization, some interaction. The already there mutants are very hands off and the Struckers, apparently, have to save the day.  The do have great chemistry, it just feels like they are shoe horned in; and that Johnny doesn't really DO very much - except broodingly brood.

• Love 1

I like Lauren and her budding romance. It’s very X-Men/New Mutants. They conveniently sent him away, but I’m sure he’ll be back. I actually expected her to jump in the van with him. In a little relieved he’s gone, though. The ridiculous green screens are driving me crazy. 

What was the point of giving that poor woman a stroke? That was actually a shocker. I think three weeks is a little off before another government employee comes knocking. Wouldn’t the government investigate the sudden stroke of a high up staff member who was sent to reform a suspicious mutant regulation organization?

Trask Industries. Enough said.

I thought this was a weak episode.  So many pointless storylines this week.  

So "Wes helped steal stuff" was his big pearl clutching secret?   I thought he was going to be revealed as a mole for Sentinel Services.  At this point, I don't know if I'd really care if he stole some gum from the drug store.  Shouldn't it be about how he wants to use his power to help mutants?

If Carmen has that mutant that can Piper Halliwell stop time, why does she even need Marcos?  Stop time, plant some explosives, same effect.  She acted like she couldn't do it without him.

If Dreamer's power also functions like a telepathic reading of minds, she's more powerful than I had thought.  But when she had Jace captured, why didn't she just make him forget that he was hunting mutants?

My Jamie Chung hate knows no bounds.  She continues to suck.  Why can't she marry a rich foreign prince a la Grace Kelly and retire from acting?   Seems she is pissed that the great Constance Wu got the plum part of Rachel in "Crazy Rich Asians", I'm sure she thought she'd be perfect and it would be her big movie break.  Haha.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, blackwing said:

I thought this was a weak episode.  So many pointless storylines this week.  

So "Wes helped steal stuff" was his big pearl clutching secret?   I thought he was going to be revealed as a mole for Sentinel Services.  At this point, I don't know if I'd really care if he stole some gum from the drug store.  Shouldn't it be about how he wants to use his power to help mutants?

If Carmen has that mutant that can Piper Halliwell stop time, why does she even need Marcos?  Stop time, plant some explosives, same effect.  She acted like she couldn't do it without him.

I am trying to figure out just how many mutants are they anyway? And it would seem that when you get down to it instead of allowing mutants to volunteer for the US military they are being drafted into the covert service before they can get over the SS wall into Mexico and possibly volunteer for someone else's military.

Mom and pop are still in denial about their ultimate situation. If still living behind the white picket fence the ADA's precious kid would have been shielded from Wes and he still is. But that leaves us frustrated.

As far as Carmen, Marcos was in no way needed for that mission. The only goal that I can see with her non talking neuro freezing henchman being an actual mutant big stick and not just another gun is Marcos himself. A return of her boy toy. Given Lorna's reaction and her text message that soap element will be continuing.

Was Marcos being controlled somehow because he enjoyed blowing shit up way to much. He never seemed that happy any other times.

How very Heroes with the "one of us one of them" going on. Unless it's just them (mutants) running around. I can't see this ending poorly for you sentinel guy.

Oh no teenage mutant was committing crimes. How awful. Like he is he only one. Marcos worked for a freaking cartel and everyone loves him. 

I wish the Stuckers we're interacting with the other half of the cast more. It seems like a show about the family and a separate show about mutant. Now that Reed and Lorna are back they seem to be separated.

Can someone tell me what the text said at the end. I couldn't read them.

• Love 2

Seems to me that the issue with Wes is about disclosure. The crimes weren't the hot issue, the secrecy was. And if they couldn't trust him to be straight about his own past, what else might he keep secret?

• Love 2

This episode felt like filler. I don’t get the point of Wes if that’s the end of his arc. Lauren gets a crush and then he leaves? That didn’t do anything for anyone’s storyline. If we’re exploring issues of trust, Reed earning his way into the Mutant Underground inner circles, Johnny rebuilding his connection with Blink, and Marcos sneaking off to the cartel more than covers that.

If I’m ever in deep (fictional) crap, I want to be standing behind Lorna and Dreamer. Those ladies get shit done. 

The actor playing Johnny does much better work when paired with anyone other than Jamie Chung. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, notcreative enough said:

I wish the Stuckers we're interacting with the other half of the cast more. It seems like a show about the family and a separate show about mutant. Now that Reed and Lorna are back they seem to be separated.

Can someone tell me what the text said at the end. I couldn't read them.

The texts said something like "Good job today. It was nice to work with you again." Just Carmen trying to worm her way back in.

I agree re: the Struckers. Ever since Reed and Lorna were saved, this has felt like two different shows--the Struckers are on a network family drama and the Mutant Underground people are on a CW Arrowverse ripoff. The writers have forgotten that the Struckers should be the PoV characters to tie the worlds/huge cast together.

48 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Seems to me that the issue with Wes is about disclosure. The crimes weren't the hot issue, the secrecy was. And if they couldn't trust him to be straight about his own past, what else might he keep secret?

I think it was both. I do think Reed and Caitlin (mostly Reed) overreacted; at the same time, I don't know that I would want my teenage daughter going out with a kid who robbed a jewelry store for kicks either, and they're right that "using your powers for survival" is different than "using your powers to rob people and get rich," and precisely *because* Wes hadn't previously come clean, they assumed his situation was closer to the latter than the former.

I can see a lot of what the writer of the episode was trying to do with all the lying people last night ("it's not the crime, it's the coverup" comes to mind, and also the dramatic irony of the Mutant Underground being a place that is truthful when everyone is lying), but it was just executed so poorly.

• Love 1

I also didn't really enjoy the episode. Wes could have been interesting if he wasn't just used as a love interest. It also felt pointless because this is his second episode and he's already gone. Unless he's going to be captured by Insane Doctor to be experimented on or he'll come back in an important role, I'm not sure why he stuck around. I guess he will pop up later on. 

Besides, I agree with the point about everyone being criminals. He is still a scared kid. He's not an adult like Marcos. He may have kept it secret, but he's still a kid. I'm glad they did cut him slack. 

I like Lauren, but I'm glad her romantic drama ended before it started. Less Andy is always a plus. I also liked him protecting his sister about being on the roof.

Marcos is already proving to be dangerous. He seemed to love blowing up those crates and getting into trouble, and not for survival reasons. Plus, he's lying about it so the whole Wes thing is even more stupid. If Reed doesn't give Marcos the same shit that he gave Wes, I'll be annoyed. Though I also understand he did it for Lauren. Plus, his talk with Wes wasn't bad. 

I loved Lorna and Dreamer's team up. I think she's just as bad as everyone else, so it's not like she's just the only bad one. Lorna makes similar decisions and also enjoys using her powers. I'm feeling most of the females in the series. I'm really itching for a Dreamer/Lorna/Lauren team-up, but I have a feeling Andy will be the Strucker kid to get paired with Lorna. 

So, can we have John do something more than just make googly eyes at Blink? I like his chemistry with Sage/Hacker Girl more. 

• Love 1

Well. I'm out. 7 episodes in and nobody but Amy Acker has caught my attention and maybe Lauren but that constant sneer she has is a bit annoying. This kind of show is so my jam and I'm disappointed but I'm bored and dislike just about every character. The teenagers annoy me and the main older mutants aren't very compelling. "Jesse" was one of the weakest links on Burn notice and my affection for him was mostly based on my already established affection for that show and without that...meh.  Trask  is the only thing that pulled my interest a little but way too little too late.  Why oh why? I really wanted a mutant tv show to be good. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Raja said:

As far as Carmen, Marcos was in no way needed for that mission. The only goal that I can see with her non talking neuro freezing henchman being an actual mutant big stick and not just another gun is Marcos himself. A return of her boy toy.

Precisely. Carmen is just trying to get Marcos back on the leash for the cartel, trying to make it so that she she can control him again is the whole point of all her interactions with Marcos. It's the same reason she has the drugs destroyed when she could just as well have stolen them instead, it's about sending a message, this time to Marcos himself trying to point out that he actually likes doing stuff like that regardless of what he's told himself.

1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

I agree re: the Struckers. Ever since Reed and Lorna were saved, this has felt like two different shows--the Struckers are on a network family drama and the Mutant Underground people are on a CW Arrowverse ripoff. The writers have forgotten that the Struckers should be the PoV characters to tie the worlds/huge cast together.

I can see a lot of what the writer of the episode was trying to do with all the lying people last night ("it's not the crime, it's the coverup" comes to mind, and also the dramatic irony of the Mutant Underground being a place that is truthful when everyone is lying), but it was just executed so poorly.

People in fiction are neurotic when it comes to lying. The one keeping the secret lies even when it's more than clear they shouldn't, and the people who are being lied to go ballistic way beyond proportion to the actual secret even when the person lying has perfectly good reason to do so. It's nice you mentioned the Arrowverse because everybody keeps secrets from everybody else most likely for most of a season and blows their stack when they find out, only to hypocritically later keep secrets themselves in a never ending cycle of "lie, get found out, get pissed off, make up, lie some more..."

• Love 1

I like this show well enough, but Christ they rush through things and blow past emotional arcs with a vengeance.   Some of the issue is the acting.  The Strucker family is definitely the best actors of the bunch.  And no one is really bad, but several are not particularly strong and the writing isn't helping them sell it.

This episode's example was Blink/Clarice and her heretofore unmentioned foster family of whom she couldn't recall/recognize where they lived, but somehow they were sufficiently motivating that their deaths galvanized her into being all in after being utterly apathetic about the resistance at the start of the episode.  Did we ever hear about these people before?  Wouldn't it have been better if there was a least a hint of emotional connection to people in her past before making them her motivating story? 

Jamie Chung is not a strong actor; but I don't think she is as bad as some do.  I've seen some horrible performances from her and some fairly decent ones.  My take is that she is a serviceable actor who will never elevate the material.  I have similar feelings about Blair Redford and Elena Satine in ascending order of talent.  Soooo... that triangle is going to blow.

Also, I can't recall ever seeing Coby Bell before*, but he is just terrible.  In every scene he reads as if he's had his personality surgically removed.  

*It is wholly possible I have simply forgotten him because he is that boring.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I also didn't really enjoy the episode. Wes could have been interesting if he wasn't just used as a love interest. It also felt pointless because this is his second episode and he's already gone. Unless he's going to be captured by Insane Doctor to be experimented on or he'll come back in an important role, I'm not sure why he stuck around. I guess he will pop up later on. 

They gave him too much screentime to develop his relationship with Lauren to just have him disappear and never come back. I fully expect that he'll be captured by Sentinel and becomes one of Trask's mind-controlled mutants. Not sure if they're actually mind-controlled or if they have some other method to get their mutants to do what they want.

• Love 1

Jamie Chung is not a strong actor; but I don't think she is as bad as some do.  I've seen some horrible performances from her and some fairly decent ones.  My take is that she is a serviceable actor who will never elevate the material.  I have similar feelings about Blair Redford and Elena Satine in ascending order of talent.  Soooo... that triangle is going to blow.

Also, I can't recall ever seeing Coby Bell before*, but he is just terrible.  In every scene he reads as if he's had his personality surgically removed.  

I would add Sean Teale to the list of "serviceable but can't elevate anything." Really, the only Mutant Underground actor who I think is anything above "serviceable" is Emma Dumont. She just has charisma to burn. (Well, Sage has been kinda fun so far, but it's entirely possible the actress might be exposed if asked to do more.)

The show really should mix up the Mutant Underground and Strucker halves of the cast if for no other reason than Amy Acker, Stephen Moyer, and Natalie Alyn Lind can usually manage to elevate whoever they are acting against. Marcos and John's best scenes have come with Caitlin, and Reed has also made Marcos more interesting when they've been paired together. I liked the nascent mentorship bond between Johnny and Lauren and Andy before it got dropped. Lorna and Reed were an engaging duo in prison. Etc. And the potential for a really great relationship between Lorna and Caitlin, that could actually become the heart and message of the series, is there if the writers would just explore it (and bonus points for pairing the show's two best actors up together).

This show is endlessly frustrating because I feel like it genuinely does have a lot of potential (serviceable-but-not-great acting aside), but in addition to pulling the Mutant Underground half of the cast from the CW they also pulled some weak-ass writers from the CW or OUAT.

• Love 5

Wes had just shown up at the hideaway, right?  If I was a kid who had to join Oliver and Company to survive, I don't think I would have told everyone there that I knocked over jewelry stores to stay with the only people that would have me.  I would have kept that close to the vest until I was sure I could trust these people.

And Lauren.  Not that I don't like her but her shock at hearing him admit it just shows how very sheltered she was.  I imagine she is going to have to do a few illegal things with her powers now that she is on the lamb.  She never had to dumpster dive to survive.

Wes knocked over jewelry stores to survive. He's a kid alone on the streets, he's lucky he wasn't forced to do much darker stuff. It's hardly the worst way to survive being homeless. 

And seriously, why aren't mutants just recruited for the army and special training? Most parents would be happier to dump there in state custody than the streets, (less guilt) and it makes them less of a threat. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

I would add Sean Teale to the list of "serviceable but can't elevate anything." Really, the only Mutant Underground actor who I think is anything above "serviceable" is Emma Dumont. She just has charisma to burn. (Well, Sage has been kinda fun so far, but it's entirely possible the actress might be exposed if asked to do more.)

The show really should mix up the Mutant Underground and Strucker halves of the cast if for no other reason than Amy Acker, Stephen Moyer, and Natalie Alyn Lind can usually manage to elevate whoever they are acting against. Marcos and John's best scenes have come with Caitlin, and Reed has also made Marcos more interesting when they've been paired together. I liked the nascent mentorship bond between Johnny and Lauren and Andy before it got dropped. Lorna and Reed were an engaging duo in prison. Etc. And the potential for a really great relationship between Lorna and Caitlin, that could actually become the heart and message of the series, is there if the writers would just explore it (and bonus points for pairing the show's two best actors up together).

Before "The Gifted" I never seen Moyer in anything, but even though he doesn't seem to be a great actor (to put it mildly), he is still much better than the actors playing mutants. I agree that Dumont is a perfect choice for Lorna, but even she disappointed me in this episode when a more subtle and layered performance was needed. And I so much agree with the bolded part. Acker's character has been criminally underused so far and written awkwardly most of the time. I'm glad that Caitlin was finally given an opportunity to talk to Reed and remind him that it was their ignorance and blindness that pushed Lauren away. That conversation proves she's far from being a naive, entitled hypocrite people make her to be.   

• Love 1

I'm in the minority because the Strucker family drama is doing nothing for me and the actors that play them are no better than the others, imo. I don't think the actors playing the MU characters are very bad they're just not being given a lot to work with. This show is plot driven (well, mostly conflict driven) and there just aren't a lot of character beats, humor, etc.; It's been seven episodes and I still don't really feel like I know much about Johnny, Marcos, Polaris, etc. I mean, we've gotten some backstory, but who the hell are they as people? Music, food, what do they find funny, inside jokes, etc. that sort of thing.

I actually like John's scenes with Blink, for a number of reasons. One, he doesn't look skeeved out like he almost always does with Dreamer. Two, Blink doesn't always look like she's on the verge of tears like Dreamer so often does (seriously, that watery pout when John made a valid case for tracking Blink? What was that lady?). Three, most shows/movies would have a mutant encountering the MU be all, "An army of mutants fighting back?! Sign me up!" or "Fuck you, I don't owe you anything blahblahblah I work better on my own." But Blink, who appreciates what they do, only helped them out because she felt she had a debt to them then took off when that was paid and Dreamer's deception was revealed (which is valid). Blink's not some inexperienced puppy, eager to be led, she's got her own thing and while she's sarcastic ("I don't have a burrow") she's not rude. It's a nice dynamic she has with Johnny, who's more easygoing. 

18 hours ago, kariyaki said:

In related news: Dreamer scares me more than Lorna does. She looked way too gleeful getting to mindfuck that cartel guard at the gate.

She always does, it's creepy. The first time she suggested fucking with Blink's head it was like she was coming on to Johnny.

I'll be surprised if it turns out they're doing two brainwashing storylines, at the same time, for no reason.

• Love 4

Before "The Gifted" I never seen Moyer in anything, but even though he doesn't seem to be a great actor (to put it mildly), he is still much better than the actors playing mutants.

I've settled on thinking that Moyer is a decent actor but miscast as Reed (or is being given terrible instructions by the director/creative TPTB). Age aside, he'd be better as Johnny or even Marcos. Everything about how Moyer plays Reed--physicality, energy, posture, even the way he speaks sometimes--is wrong for a career lawyer imo, and unless he's got some backstory that we'll soon be discovering that explains why he comes off more like a soldier or intelligence agent than a DA, he just reads wrong to my eyes. And he's not helped by the writing, which seems to flip-flop him between SUPER INTENSE COMMITTED PROSECUTOR MAN! and chill secret mutant sympathizer depending on the episode. (He's also not helped by the accent--I agree you can see Moyer struggling with it at times. They should've just let him have his natural accent and handwaved it away somehow.)

That said, I do think there are moments where Moyer rises above the material--I liked his ending conversation with Andy last episode, for example, or this episode with Mirage Kid--so I don't want Reed to die, I just want the show to give him consistency as a character, let Reed interact with someone aside from Caitlin and his kids, and tell Moyer to tone it down about 5 notches.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, slf said:

I don't think the actors playing the MU characters are very bad they're just not being given a lot to work with.

I think you've just pinpointed the biggest problem with the show. It seems to me that none of the actors are given a lot to work with. 

• Love 2
On 11/13/2017 at 7:54 PM, Lantern7 said:

So much for Lauren having a steady/shady boyfriend. Seriously, though, if the kid didn't murder anybody or betray his species, and he doesn't bring the feds and/or Sentinel Services down on the sanctuary, then why should anybody care?

This! After all they've witnessed how can they still be so judgmental. I can't like them, but I'll chalk that up to great acting.

Am I wrong in thinking Blink is a plant by Sentinel services? I know this isn't canon but her something about her seems off to me.

Tonight felt like Mutant Gossip Girl. I think I'll wait until the season ends and marathon it on a bad weather weekend.

6 hours ago, Drumpf1737 said:

This! After all they've witnessed how can they still be so judgmental. I can't like them, but I'll chalk that up to great acting.

Petty theft in order to survive is understandable. Ransacking jewelry stores on a regular basis, in the capacity of a gang member, is another story altogether. Pretending that only the former happened is not good at all so yeah, the parents should be judgmental about it. 

• Love 1
On November 14, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Irishmaple said:

This episode felt like filler. I don’t get the point of Wes if that’s the end of his arc. Lauren gets a crush and then he leaves? That didn’t do anything for anyone’s storyline. 

That's easy. He's gonna get nabbed by Sentinel Services, brainwashed, and set loose upon the mutant protagonists. That includes Lauren, and I'm willing to bet Polaris' tough love training ("If you can dodge a wrench . . .") won't be enough to save her. Note to the mods: I am not reading spoilers. It just seems like the logical direction to go.

I got acquainted with Stephen Moyer through True Blood. Saw the whole damn thing. "He's married to Anna Paquin?" was topped by "Wait . . . he's English?!?"

• Love 1

Ah, Trask Industries.  Now that's a familiar name!

This episode seemed to be one of those that wants everyone to really know that keeping secrets is bad!  Marcos doesn't tell Lorna that he is really working for Carmine and it was because he made a deal to save her, and sure enough, Lorna finds out and gets pissed (and out of everyone, Lorna is the one who I really, really wouldn't want to get on the bad side of.)  Wes use to be a thief, but doesn't disclose it to the Mutant Underground or Lauren, but Reed finds out and assumes the worst.  It all worked out I guess, but if television has taught me anything, it's that keeping secrets is the cause of almost every problem.

Wes' sudden exit though makes me think that he's going to get captured and turned when this is all said and done.

The stuff with Clarissa and John was mainly just a way to have Clarissa rejoin the Mutant Underground because it's now personal for her as well.

Ha, oh Jace!  Now you realize what you have gotten yourself into.  When you throw in with Garrett Dillahunt, you have to expect some dark shit!

Definitely feels like these past few episodes were filler.  They need to step it up soon.  I'm glad it is at least competent unlike say Inhumans was, but considering the talent both in front and behind the camera, being serviceable is still not enough.

I enjoyed this episode but I thought the entire Strucker family where assholes to Wes, AKA Not Tyler Posey.  Wow, he conned people while he was living on the streets after his father kicked him out of the house.  How EEEVIL and wrong!  Sage didn't say "thief" was one of the things that kept you out so there was no reason for Wes to admit that and have to leave.  This week, the Strucker family becomes stick up their ass moralists!  Enjoy your high horse while your son is thinking about killing the people he's fighting...

Campbell giving the DOJ official a stroke was beyond stupid.  As pointed out, she's just a cog in the machine and it's not going to do much to slow down their problem.

Lorna didn't exactly score points with her judgments too.  You could clearly see Marcos wasn't happy about what he was doing.

Edited by benteen
On 14/11/2017 at 10:36 PM, Finis Terre said:

I think you've just pinpointed the biggest problem with the show. It seems to me that none of the actors are given a lot to work with. 

For a show about people with powers, it isn't much fun most of the time.

Also they need to stop making Amy Acker say lines like "Lauren needs her father, not a prosecutor."

(and out of everyone, Lorna is the one who I really, really wouldn't want to get on the bad side of.) 

I hope this tension with Marcos won't stop us seeing the next installment of her training. Clearly it's going to involve throwing something dangerous at the children but what comes after tiles and metal?.....

Edited by Beatriceblake
On 11/14/2017 at 4:46 PM, slf said:

I actually like John's scenes with Blink, for a number of reasons. One, he doesn't look skeeved out like he almost always does with Dreamer. Two, Blink doesn't always look like she's on the verge of tears like Dreamer so often does (seriously, that watery pout when John made a valid case for tracking Blink? What was that lady?). Three, most shows/movies would have a mutant encountering the MU be all, "An army of mutants fighting back?! Sign me up!" or "Fuck you, I don't owe you anything blahblahblah I work better on my own." But Blink, who appreciates what they do, only helped them out because she felt she had a debt to them then took off when that was paid and Dreamer's deception was revealed (which is valid). Blink's not some inexperienced puppy, eager to be led, she's got her own thing and while she's sarcastic ("I don't have a burrow") she's not rude. It's a nice dynamic she has with Johnny, who's more easygoing. 

She always does, it's creepy. The first time she suggested fucking with Blink's head it was like she was coming on to Johnny.

I'll be surprised if it turns out they're doing two brainwashing storylines, at the same time, for no reason.

I agree completely with this and would even go further to say that Johnny has more chemistry with Blink than Dreamer - that steamy fake kiss memory has more heat in it than his kisses with Dreamer.  I actually rewound the "previously" bit just to see the kiss all over again.  Sheesh.  Heat.

I remember the Dreamer actress from Revenge and she's okay - I like her much better when she's "bad".  Blink's Jamie Chung just needs to be given more to work with - but I can see why the show is setting something up with her and Johnny - he lights up around her.

I do think it's weird that he's so into her so soon - her I could see because of the false memories - but other than a couple of "moments" that he's had with her, not sure why he's into her, but I definitely felt the chemistry.

I usually don't trust mutants/aliens/whatevers who have mind warping powers.  I don't trust Dreamer - I know I'm supposed to - but she just seems shady to me and like she'd stop at nothing to get what she wanted or believed was the right outcome, no matter the damage she causes.  She's clearly caused damage before and did it again - she's so focused on "saving lives" in the short term that she doesn't think about the long term.

I need Lorna to get better lipstick.

I am getting a little bit worn out with the Strucker family drama - but liked Lauren with whatshisname... though I smell a set up.  He'll probably get captured and then come back and be on the attack.

One of my favorite things of the comics was the Hounds, so glad to see an interpretation of those.  

Why didn't Campbell just mind freak the DOJ official to support them.  As mentioned she's just one piece of the machine, will everyone who opposes Turner/Campbell have a health malady, unfortunate accident, etc... wouldn't that start looking suspicious.

Loved the Trask and Trask Industries shoutout.  I loved the mention of it shut down in 2006... maybe a nod to X-Men: The Last Stand, which was released in 06, and featured a Trask?

Was loving Wes... mostly for his abilities... until he was strictly Lauren's love interest and show decided to steer their story into the CW.  With the few hints of the hounds in past episodes, I thought Wes would be spying on the group.  I wanted the show to go there, but no... just a criminal.  I thought it was interesting everyone all of a sudden had an opinion of Wes and his past, especially with Eclipse and his ex and the cartels, and his rank in the underground, and it seems like many of the mutants pasts, I think one of the teens in the training session last episode mentioned having to steal... again, trying not to ramble, but I didn't get why all of a sudden Wes was being singled out.  

I find myself so bored by the Strucker and so frustrated by the Mutant Underground conflict, the Struckers are alternately stupid, reckless or sanctimonious and the Mutant Underground is run haphazardly and with no apparent rhyme or reason.