Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: got your siX

I'm starting this thread with the blessing of @kariyaki. Basically, more angst on both sides of the battlefield, Lauren makes a friend (and potentially more), and Clarice up and leaves the sanctuary due to Dreamer's actions and Thunderbird's compliance.

I'm not feeling that the stakes have been raised in recent episodes. While the mutants' wins are hard-fought, they seem to be piling up. At this point, the mutants are Bo and Luke Duke. Think about it: when Lauren made the ultimate speed bump, would you have been shocked to hear the horn sound out "Dixieland"? "Well, looks like ol' Jace is gonna go back to the office and start punchin' random people again!" If there is a stick in the spokes, it's Eclipse getting called back by his old boss.

• Love 1

Yeah, I thought this episode might have been the weakest of the season. It dragged really badly, there was some baaaaad acting, and the dialogue was often atrocious. Also, I agree that the mutants have too many wins at this point. Sentinel Services is looking like the Keystone Cops these days. The mutants need at least a partial loss soon to keep us feeling like they're in any real danger. (Also, they have some AMAZING fashion for people who are wanted fugitives. Every time I see them all in some brand new, highly fashionable clothing, it totally takes me out of the show.)

I don't understand the writers' need to split the cast up in every single episode. This show needs a bottle episode really badly.

I was interested in the Lorna/Caitlin conflict because they were both right (and both wrong), and I wanted them to acknowledge that and learn to work together. Lorna is right that the kids are never going to have a normal life and they need to train hard, but Caitlin is also right that the kids would benefit from some normalcy. And also from some schooling--if nothing else, surely Lorna should be able to understand that the mutants stand a better chance of survival if they are educated beyond a 10th-grade level? (I'm kind of hoping her and Marcos' kid is a normal human. That would be hilarious.)

The show needs to get Caitlin interacting with Marcos and John again. That trio still remains one of the show's most compelling character combos and as I was hoping WOULDN'T happen, the return of Lorna and Reed has disrupted that.

I DID like the look we got into Lauren's experience as a closeted mutant and hope that continues. The previews for next week make me hopeful it will. It would also be lovely if the show acknowledged that while father/son and mother/daughter relationships are important, mothers/sons and fathers/daughters sometimes talk too!

Andy: "You want me to use my power responsibly and not kill/injure people unnecessarily?! YOU SUCK YOU JERK!" Yeah, okay, kid. At this point I want Caitlin to turn him over her knee and give him a good spanking. John, please start working with that kid on self-control. He needs it. BAD.

They're clearly setting Jace up to turn on the Super Sekkrit Evil Scientists when he realizes what they're doing is Morally Wrong. Still not interested in him.

• Love 5

Yeah, I wish we had Caitlin interacting more with Marcos and John again. They were a great trio. However, I did actually like Reed and Marcos binding over the difficulties of fatherhood. I am also glad that its clear that Reed isn't totally forgiven for everything he did when he was prosecuting mutants. He`s doing the right thing now (and his insider knowledge is a great resource) but he still has a long way to go to make up for everything. 

I hope that Caitlin can start her school for the mutant kids. Lorna isn't wrong that the kids need to know how to use their powers and how to protect themselves, but the kids also need to have some basic education skills that go beyond the 9th grade. Plus, it probably will do them some good to have something normal in their lives. 

I feel like the mutants have been having too much good luck lately. Theres going to be a big blow up before the fall finale. 

• Love 2

This episode made me really dislike Caitlin.  I find her very self-righteous.  She is criticising Polaris for training the mutants for battle because "they're just kids".  It's easy for her to say, she is human and isn't getting persecuted. She has been especially protective of her daughter.

Of course, when Reed is in trouble, Caitlin has no problems having mutants help save him.  She sent Lauren off with a "I don't like it but you go save him" attitude.  I guess Lauren is only a "kid" when Caitlin is on her high horse.  Such a hypocrite.  

Another terrible performance from Jamie Chung.  Her attitude is getting old.  I'm glad she left, unfortunately probably not for long.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

Also, I agree that the mutants have too many wins at this point. Sentinel Services is looking like the Keystone Cops these days. The mutants need at least a partial loss soon to keep us feeling like they're in any real danger.

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I feel like the mutants have been having too much good luck lately. Theres going to be a big blow up before the fall finale. 

Honestly? The mutants really SHOULD be having lots of wins at this point, given who their opposition is  it makes sense. What is needed, and what I'm pretty sure Doctor Campbell is there to set up, is to have someone far more dangerous than Sentinel Services could ever be show up to give these mutants a real fight, or even get actual Sentinels into the mix. Ya know, these guys:

sentinel001.jpg

With what the mutants on this show can do it would be incredibly unbelievable if a bunch of guys with guns were anything resembling a threat, so while I agree the mutants need  to stop getting wins soon Sentinel Services needs to definitely up their game in some fashion or someone with much more power to their name needs to step up, otherwise the mutants losing would just be painful idiot plotting.

I was interested in the Lorna/Caitlin conflict because they were both right (and both wrong), and I wanted them to acknowledge that and learn to work together. Lorna is right that the kids are never going to have a normal life and they need to train hard, but Caitlin is also right that the kids would benefit from some normalcy. And also from some schooling--if nothing else, surely Lorna should be able to understand that the mutants stand a better chance of survival if they are educated beyond a 10th-grade level? (I'm kind of hoping her and Marcos' kid is a normal human. That would be hilarious.)

1 minute ago, blackwing said:

This episode made me really dislike Caitlin.  I find her very self-righteous.  She is criticising Polaris for training the mutants for battle because "they're just kids".  It's easy for her to say, she is human and isn't getting persecuted. She has been especially protective of her daughter.

I was exasperated by this very conflict between Lorna because Caitlin not only wasn't right at all and Lorna was completely correct, but they've gone through this same sort of plot with Caitlin before at least twice already. How many times are they going to have to do this same exact plotline where naive little Caitlin has to go through the school of hard knocks in order to get it in her head that the world has changed and that this is a fight for the very survival of the mutants? This is war,  the Mutant Underground and everybody in it is being actively hunted, they should be focusing entirely upon training their abilities and fighting back against their oppressors, not wasting their time sitting in school and having a so called "normal life".

Not that they shouldn't take allowances to relax now and then like all soldiers should but every single mutant in the whole of the U.S. and before long likely the entire world of The GIfted is now either a soldier or a potential victim of the Mutant Holocaust. This is precisely NOT the time a "normal life" and it can wait for when every single mutant in the whole Mutant Underground isn't being currently fighting to avoid being victims of genocide or captured and brainwashed to be turned against their friends. Caitlin is going to have to learn that her kids were in the firing line the minute they showed their powers if not the minute they were born and thus have better things to do than sit in her little mutant classroom. If they are sitting in a classroom it's solely to learn things directly relevant to the fight like how to use guns if the mutant needs them or how to patch up wounds.

Of course, she'll probably end up turning out to be "right" somehow because this a universe of the X-Men, where people having this ridiculous naive belief that mutants and humans can actually coexist no matter how incredibly obvious it's been made that they never can and will only end when, not if, one side completely wipes out of the other no matter what anyone does turns out to be "right" all the time.

Andy: "You want me to use my power responsibly and not kill/injure people unnecessarily?! YOU SUCK YOU JERK!" Yeah, okay, kid. At this point I want Caitlin to turn him over her knee and give him a good spanking. John, please start working with that kid on self-control. He needs it. BAD.

"Use your power responsibly and not kill/injure people unnecessarily" was obviously Reed's intention with this, but he came across much more like he didn't want Andy using his powers for almost any reason at all even when confronted with an enemy. "YOU SUCK YOU JERK!" is a perfectly acceptable reaction to the kind of lecturing, but like it's been for the last few episodes now it's probably meant to foreshadow Andy's descent into a villain.

• Love 4

This is war,  the Mutant Underground and everybody in it is being actively hunted, they should be focusing entirely upon training their abilities and fighting back against their oppressors, not wasting their time sitting in school and having a so called "normal life".... If they are sitting in a classroom it's solely to learn things directly relevant to the fight like how to use guns if the mutant needs them or how to patch up wounds.

So you mean like learning basic high school biology, which was one of the textbooks the camera lingered on?

I'm going to push back on the idea that school is pointless for the mutant kids. Let's take Lorna and Marcos' little nugget as an example. If there's no schooling for the mutant kids, Lorna and Marcos' child will not be able to: read, write, do basic arithmetic (let alone any higher-level calculations that the kid might need based on their powers), have a basic understanding of human biology/psychology/anything about humans and society really (which seems relevant when you're fighting a war), have a basic understanding of the natural world (also might be useful depending on their powers), have a basic understanding of human history and the mistakes previous civilizations have made (obviously relevant), the (ostensible) laws of the US (obviously relevant), international politics (could be relevant depending on other countries' stances on mutants), understand military history and strategy, use a computer and email (spying on Sentinel Services is gonna be pretty hard if the nugget can't work a computer), the list goes on and on. I am unconvinced that schooling is somehow totally irrelevant to these people's lives. They maximize their chances of winning the war by educating their kids. They'd already be down several mutants if Caitlin wasn't a nurse--utilizing the same biology concepts that she wants to teach the kids.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

So you mean like learning basic high school biology, which was one of the textbooks the camera lingered on?

I'm going to push back on the idea that school is pointless for the mutant kids. Let's take Lorna and Marcos' little nugget as an example. If there's no schooling for the mutant kids, Lorna and Marcos' child will not be able to: read, write, do basic arithmetic (let alone any higher-level calculations that the kid might need based on their powers), have a basic understanding of human biology/psychology/anything about humans and society really (which seems relevant when you're fighting a war), have a basic understanding of the natural world (also might be useful depending on their powers), have a basic understanding of human history and the mistakes previous civilizations have made (obviously relevant), the (ostensible) laws of the US (obviously relevant), international politics (could be relevant depending on other countries' stances on mutants), understand military history and strategy, use a computer and email (spying on Sentinel Services is gonna be pretty hard if the nugget can't work a computer), the list goes on and on. I am unconvinced that schooling is somehow totally irrelevant to these people's lives. They maximize their chances of winning the war by educating their kids. They'd already be down several mutants if Caitlin wasn't a nurse--utilizing the same biology concepts that she wants to teach the kids.

Uh... I think you're mistaking "education is irrelevant" with "now these kids are all going to be cavemen!" Any of these mutants are already old enough when they manifested their powers and thus became targets to already have been taught everything they'd need to know to function in human society, including how to use a computer and the internet, they already would have the basic understanding of the world they need for simple functioning. Education at this point in their lives IS irrelevant, anything they learn from now on solely should be relevant to fighting. Learning high school Biology isn't going to teach them how to do things like remove a bullet without killing the person and how to sew up and treat a wound without getting it infected, learning how to use the computer and email isn't going to teach them how to hack into a secure government server, learning physics and the natural world isn't going to teach them how to use powers that defy both at every single turn, etc. How to hack, how to shoot, how to heal a wound, strategy and tactics, military discipline, how to make and plant a bomb, and other skills DIRECTLY relevant to war is what they should be learning if and when they have any time between running and practicing their abilities and they don't have the time in their situation to learn anything extensively while being constantly hunted anyway so anything the would learn has to be devoted solely to what's useful in a war. Every minute they spend in school learning irrelevant stuff is one more minute they are not learning how to use their abilities and learning any way they can actually strike against their enemy and survive being struck. Every minute wasted is a mutant that dies because they couldn't use their powers and other more mundane but no less effective abilities effectively enough.

They will obviously start learning the standard curriculum at some point, but that's going to be months or even years down the line and very sporadically, only at the rare moments when the heat has died down enough they can even think of trying to do so. The situation the Mutant Underground is in right now is anything but a time for that.

• Love 3

Another enjoyable episode. I liked seeing the mutants work as a team. Honestly, there is no reason that they should not be whacking Sentinel services all over the place. 

Lorna continues to be my favorite mutant. I love determined she is to fight and survive and train the younger mutants. Lorna confirmed that I was right about how powerful Andy and Lauren are for mutants. I like Wes, Lauren new love interest.

I thought Reed and Marcos bonding over fatherhood as well as Reed determination to reach out to Andy were strong scenes. Andy's resentment of his father and his anger over being bullied is a nice realistic touch. The show is good as writing believable relationships.

Dreamer is going to accept that Johnny "is just not that into her." He clearly has a thing for Blink. I cannot blame Blink for being angry, but storming off just as they need her was beyond childish. She needs to grow the hell up.

Jace embracing the doctor is the final step of him selling his soul. He still seems wary, but will have to live with the consequence.

While I am enjoying the show, I can't help noting the lack of African Americans, especially women, among the mutant where most of the story is taking place. 

7 hours ago, blackwing said:

Of course, when Reed is in trouble, Caitlin has no problems having mutants help save him.  She sent Lauren off with a "I don't like it but you go save him" attitude.  I guess Lauren is only a "kid" when Caitlin is on her high horse.  Such a hypocrite.  

Caitlin was annoyingly predictable and wrong as hell. Reed seems to finally accept that their old lives are over and now seems to care about the welfare of the other mutants, but Caitlin is still holding on to hope that they can recreate some type of normal lives and essentially only cares about the wellbeing of her family. I wouldn't be surprised if she tries again to reach out to her network to try to make a deal to save them.

7 hours ago, immortalfrieza said:

Honestly? The mutants really SHOULD be having lots of wins at this point, given who their opposition is  it makes sense. What is needed, and what I'm pretty sure Doctor Campbell is there to set up, is to have someone far more dangerous than Sentinel Services could ever be show up to give these mutants a real fight, or even get actual Sentinels into the mix. Ya know, these guys:

This is how I feel also. Given their powers, it is unbelievable that they don't have been winning more and rescuing more mutants. They should have a more extensive network and resources across the nation. Instead they are stuck in that one building. They should be able to have multiple hideouts that they can especially protect and hide from the authorities.

I fully expect that Campbell who is the show's version of Trask will be bringing more brainwashed mutants to counter the mutant network with the ultimate goal of capturing and turning powerful mutants like Andy and Lauren. Johnny, Marcos, Lorna, and Dreamer, rightly understand that this is the real danger to the mutant network. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Wes isn't on the up and up, he's either working for Campbell or a new Brotherhood and is trying to recruit Lauren.  Somebody's got to be a mole, and I'm guessing it's him.

Jace on the other hand is going to help out the Struckers.  He's driven by grief right now, but with them having him focus on the tattoo, and the fact his daughter still means the world to him, he'll snap out of it and help them out, so Lauren and Andy don't become experiments.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

Did anyone catch who was in the photo that Reed was staring at on the wall? I couldn't see clearly.

Reed with three others, presumably the person whose chambers they were breaking into and some other lawyers/judges.

• Love 1

I liked the episode. I liked getting a look into John's history. Andy was still annoying but I think Reed tempered him a bit. But the fact that it "feels good" when he blows things up screams supervillian in train. I didn't even hate the teen boy with the mirage powers as much as I thought I would.

Caitlin and Polaris needed to come to a compromise. Things aren't just going to blow over any time soon so the kids do need to know how to protect themselves and learn their powers. But the way to do that isn't throwing random things at their heads.

I loved Blink going off on John and even that hint that yeah, there could have been a thing if Dreamer hadn't intervened. Speaking of Dreamer, I do not like her. I hate that they've made her so reckless with her powers and she doesn't seem sorry about it at all.

Finally, thank you John for doing your best Bono in the With or Without You video look with the black vest and tied back hair, lol.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Efzee said:

Reed with three others, presumably the person whose chambers they were breaking into and some other lawyers/judges.

Thanks. This might be a lead to find out more about where they are taking the mutants.

I enjoyed this episode too. I like seeing the Mutants be proactive instead of them being outsmarted and outmaneuvered. Sentinel have serious assets but the Mutants have powers that can equal to exceed those assets. Bringing Dillahunt in and having Coby Bell willingly violate everybody’s rights showed that Sentinel is levelling up. They also have turned Mutants on staff. The Mutant Underground isn’t going to win every battle but they should never be completely outmatched. I stopped watching SuperGirl because her powers depended on the needs of the plot; I don’t want to see that happen here.

Caitlin’s desire for normalcy is misguided. There is nothing normal about genocide. I agree that the children need to be educated  but not in conventional curricula. They need to learn to survive. Lorna is not entirely wrong but she could do with dialling it back a notch by teaching the kids without actively trying to kill them. I do love when her plans come together. 

Blink pulled my least favourite sulk: taking an emergency that affects everyone and making it all about her. It never occured to her that John was tentative about her because he didn’t want to risk taking advantage of the implanted memories? 

Edited by Irishmaple
foiling autocorrect
Just now, Irishmaple said:

Blink pulled my least favourite sulk: taking an emergency that affects everyone and making it all about her. It never occured to her that John was tentative about her because he didn’t want to risk taking advantage of the implanted memories? 

Eh, well, I think she has every reason to call him out. What he should have done was let Blink know once the emergency was over and done with. He had days to fill her in, especially when she came to him, confused about a memory that wasn't hers. That's what I think she's more pissed about. If she had been told right after, she might have been less pissed. She might have even understood. So yeah, I think she's warranted to yell at John. He did take advantage of her, especially since he admitted that they still needed her afterward. I thought she was quite reasonable. Even if the actress isn't that strong in expressing all her character's emotions, the intent was there.

3 minutes ago, Irishmaple said:

Caitlin’s desire for normalcy is misguided. There is nothing normal about genocide. I agree that the children need to be educated  but not in conventional curricula. They need to learn to survive. Lorna is not entirely wrong but she could do with dialling it back a notch by teaching the kids without actively trying to kill them. I do love when her plans come together. 

I think that Caitlin was mostly in the wrong, but I also see where she's coming from. She's still in the mindset that the adults can do all the work and they don't need to involve the children if they don't have to. But what she doesn't get is that the kids need to protect themselves and learn how to defend against their enemies, which is why they need the training. Plus, Caitlin has allowed her own kids to participate on missions for the greater good, so if she doesn't realize how the kids can be helpful and have had to grow up quickly in their environment, then that's on her. Lorna is absolutely correct. 

I kind of enjoyed Wes, but it would be a twist for him to be some sort of mole, since shows like this do tend to go down the mole route at some time. Plus, I've enjoyed where they've taken Lauren so far, and her getting a love interest isn't quite what I want for her. I'd rather they took a different route for this first season with her; let the adults have their love issues. 

Overall, I have enjoyed the episode. The Reed/Andy scenes were good. Andy's still annoying and it's clear he'll go the villain route at some point, but I liked his relationship with his dad here. 

• Love 8

I like Amy Acker fine, although I'm not a superfan (thought Fred sucked the air out of Angel, never watched her on POI), but GOD she is saddled with the worst dialogue on the show. Practically everything out of her mouth is a Mama Bear cliche, and even now she's seemingly willfully naive about the situation she's in and the future her kids have. I am trying to separate the actress from the dialogue but it is so.hard. when everything she says could/has been said by Harriet Olsen to Carol Brady to Ma Ingalls. And points to the poster upthread who mentioned that she's more than happy to allow mutants to risk their lives for her husband, but god forbid her kids learn how to control their own powers. What does she think this "normal life" they're going to have will look like? I sometimes think she's on the verge of telling them to hide their powers. 'Cause then, you know, everything will be fine. 

On another note...why is it so hard for Moyer to find believable hair dye?

PS Did I see this right? Did Caitlin take someone else's wedding ring and give it to Reed? Help yourself, lady!

Edited by rubyred
added PS
  • Love 3

I think Blink was perfectly within her rights to take off. She signed up for helping them rescue Lorna since Lorna was captured rescuing her. That mission was accomplished. The mission they wanted her to help with was a completely different offensive mission and not a crisis. She never signed up for that or agreed to be a permanent member of the team. It was presumptuous of them to think she would just do whatever was on their agenda without even asking what she might have had going on in her life. John and co were using her she had a right to call them on it and then decide if she wanted to stay and be part of the team or follow her own path.

How long do we think it will take for Dreamer to realize that John's just not as into her as she is into him? Who wants to bet that she'll mess with his head to try and make him love her?

I wonder if Caitlyn's objection is the purpose of the training. Learning to control their powers and to defend themselves is one thing. Learning to be an offensive force who starts battles and goes to fight specific battles is something different altogether. Remember that the whole Strucker clan (and presumably many of the refugees) was planning to go to Mexico where they could, again presumably, pursue relatively normal lives and not have to fight a war. So, regardless of how much immediate danger her kids may be in, it's not entirely unreasonable for her to think there's no need for them to be teenage soldiers beyond defending themselves. Plus, I can see her thinking Lorna is frighteningly militant and not want to get involved in all that.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, rubyred said:

PS Did I see this right? Did Caitlin take someone else's wedding ring and give it to Reed? Help yourself, lady!

It wasn't a wedding ring, but a girl's ring with a big cheap yellow stone on it she found in the storage room. She turned the stone part around so that it faced the palm of his hand, so it would look like only a metal band when viewed from the top.

So Dreamer's abuse of her trust causes Blink to leave the Underground, and she's not summarily drummed out in disgrace? Why?

Polaris is right in that the kids need training to control their powers. Although, maybe she shouldn't start with saw blades to the face? That might help. Ease them into it. Not all training has to start with the makeshift Danger Room on 11. While Polaris is right that this is their new normal, Caitlyn's school could be used to teach them practical things like first aid and emergency surgery. She is a nurse, right?

So Jace is ready to throw constitutional rights out the window and no one in his office stood up and told him to sit the hell down and shut up? Why? Grief doesn't let him get away with that, and it seems like a political storm waiting to happen. I feel no sympathy for this asshole.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Absurda said:

How long do we think it will take for Dreamer to realize that John's just not as into her as she is into him? Who wants to bet that she'll mess with his head to try and make him love her?

I think John is into her, at least enough to give it a go. I just think that this isn't the time or the place for getting romantically entangled from John's military perspective. There is also the possibility that she could be slightly manipulating his emotions for her. They did kiss in this episode right before the phone rang reminding John he should be focusing on the people doing the mission. John might also have a few feelings for Blink as well.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Mysteris said:

So Dreamer's abuse of her trust causes Blink to leave the Underground, and she's not summarily drummed out in disgrace? Why?

Blink has only been there about a week and half of that time she was unconscious and the other half she spent brooding in a corner. Dreamer has probably been there for years and probably used her talents to remove painful memories from half the mutants there.

There is no reason to believe that Blink would have stayed even if Dreamer left. Blink blamed John just as much as she blamed Dreamer, so I am sure nobody would have summarily drummed John out in disgrace.

• Love 1

I think John may be attracted to Dreamer and may like her, but I don't think his feelings for her are as strong as hers for him. He took a lot of convincing before kissing her back. Also, there is an example of a working romantic relationship between Lorna and Eclipse. So, the "we work together" or "the mission first" reasoning is just his excuse not to be with her. We've seen that she's all about John but he doesn't seem to think of her much. I suspect if he really loved her and wanted to be with her, he'd make it work. That he hasn't tried shows, to me, his feelings just aren't as strong.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Absurda said:

I wonder if Caitlyn's objection is the purpose of the training. Learning to control their powers and to defend themselves is one thing. Learning to be an offensive force who starts battles and goes to fight specific battles is something different altogether. Remember that the whole Strucker clan (and presumably many of the refugees) was planning to go to Mexico where they could, again presumably, pursue relatively normal lives and not have to fight a war. So, regardless of how much immediate danger her kids may be in, it's not entirely unreasonable for her to think there's no need for them to be teenage soldiers beyond defending themselves. Plus, I can see her thinking Lorna is frighteningly militant and not want to get involved in all that.

Well said. This is an important distinction. Combat sounds much worse than defense. People are so happy to judge Caitlin, but in my opinion her response to the situation is far from naive.

• Love 4

Ah, who doesn't love father/son bonding moments complete with breaking into government buildings, hiding in a truck, questioning if your son's mutant powers can be dangerous and, of course, pee buckets!

I can kind of see both Lorna and Caitlin's sides, even if I slightly am more in the former's corner.  I do think that mutants; even the kids; are going to have to be prepared to fight no matter what, because sadly the Sentinel Services and the rest that hate mutants aren't going to let their ages stop them from doing the harm. At the same time, there should be time for normalcy in their lives and, admittedly, Lorna is probably one bad day away from just going full-blown Magneto on humans.  Still, I feel Caitlin really hasn't accepted that things have changed and they are never going back to what they use to be, and if she keeps pushing back like this, Lauren (and Andy) will probably end up resenting her.

Clarissa finally has had enough and just leaves the Mutant Underground.  I'm sure she won't be gone for too long.

Jace's need for revenge has now gotten to the point that he is willing to illegally wiretap phone and throw in with Dr. Campbell.  Really, if you willing align yourself with any character played by Garrett Dillahunt, you deserve whatever pain or hardship comes your way!

This Wes guy is totally going to end up being up to no good.

You better watch yourself around Dreamer, John...

Marcos' former squeeze dramatically calls to cash in on her favor!

• Love 5

Claremont Trucking was a nice Easter Egg/homage/reference to Chris Claremont, of X-Men writing fame. Should an Easter Egg thread be started?

I'm all for training the kids to use their powers, but let's not do saw blades to the face for the 101 level course. Also, I know they need to give as many characters as much to do as possible, but wouldn't it have been easier to have the truck turning away under camouflage BEFORE they got to the roadblock instead of doing the X-Dukes jump ramp? (Thanks Lantern7!).

Still loving this show. I'm glad they've had more wins than losses lately even though I know they can't always win.  However, I really couldn't take the Debbie Downer aspect of the first few episodes on a continual basis.

• Love 2
On 7-11-2017 at 4:59 PM, SimoneS said:

Thanks. This might be a lead to find out more about where they are taking the mutants.

You're welcome. Took a screenshot of it, could't get it any clearer than this unfortunately.

The gifted pic.jpg

As for the whole sawblades thing, I figured Polaris was doing that because inexperienced mutants' powers seem to get activated in fear or anger. Well, that and she's a little extreme. But you can bet Sentinel Services won't be giving the mutants an easy time when they come face to face with them, so sawblades seem like a good way to train to me. Polaris would probably prevent them from actually hurting them in case a mutant fails to use their powers to stop her. Probably.

Think the deal breaker for Clarice was she wanted her dream come true.  Which is why she'll be back.

Think the problem with John and Sonya is unease about the CO having a relationship with a particular subordinate undermining morale by raising suspicions of favoritism for her...and a little nervousness about her power manipulating him. 

Think Andy deflected Reed's inquiries as to what was going wrong at school. Kids can be singled out for bullying for a variety of reasons but the most common (if one is discernible,) it seems are poverty, academic grind (nobody likes a curve buster,) arty, odd like autistic or OCD, religious (especially unapproved religions,) and gay. Superheroes essentially are fantasies about what you might be when you grow up, and persecuted superheroes are about mean old parents grinding down youth. So is the show setting up Andy as gay? Or as just antisocial, because he's Brotherhood of Mutants material, not X-Men material?

On 11/6/2017 at 7:54 PM, stealinghome said:

The mutants need at least a partial loss soon to keep us feeling like they're in any real danger.

The mutants lost another HQ and a bunch of safe houses, but it happened off screen in a single line, so it doesn't count much.

On 11/6/2017 at 10:17 PM, immortalfrieza said:

Use your power responsibly and not kill/injure people unnecessarily" was obviously Reed's intention with this, but he came across much more like he didn't want Andy using his powers for almost any reason at all even when confronted with an enemy. "YOU SUCK YOU JERK!" is a perfectly acceptable reaction to the kind of lecturing, but like it's been for the last few episodes now it's probably meant to foreshadow Andy's descent into a villain.

I did like Reed telling Andy that he's always been proud of him, but wish he had gone on to say "I'm proud of what you did on this mission, but even more proud of what you didn't do.  You controlled yourself -- which is not easy -- and we couldn't have done this without you."

On 11/7/2017 at 3:57 AM, SimoneS said:

I can't help noting the lack of African Americans, especially women, among the mutant where most of the story is taking place.

Don't you know -- black women are scary!!!!  [eyes roll]  (The lack of black women in scifi and fantasy has long been a peeve of mine.  #AbbyMillsDeservesBetter)

• Love 2
On 11/7/2017 at 1:50 PM, AnimeMania said:

It wasn't a wedding ring, but a girl's ring with a big cheap yellow stone on it she found in the storage room. She turned the stone part around so that it faced the palm of his hand, so it would look like only a metal band when viewed from the top.

I’m wondering if that ring will have any significance in the future. Did it belong to one of the X-Men? Probably. Does it have special powers? Maybe. I might be giving the writers too much credit, but that would be an interesting addition to the story.

56 minutes ago, bow said:

I’m wondering if that ring will have any significance in the future. Did it belong to one of the X-Men? Probably. Does it have special powers? Maybe. I might be giving the writers too much credit, but that would be an interesting addition to the story.

The ring has powers? I doubt it, so far the only supernatural things on the show are the actual mutants, with the Sentinel Services spiders being a bit a lot above what we can do

I don't know much about the mutant comics other than the X-men movies. But if it's predicated on the theme that humans are universally assholes and deserve to be exterminated: count me out. I hated that shit in Magneto and was disappointed by every single movie that someone didn't kill him off, to the point where I had to stop watching them; if Lorna's going down that road, then I'm siding with Caitlin just on general principle alone.

20 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

I don't know much about the mutant comics other than the X-men movies. But if it's predicated on the theme that humans are universally assholes and deserve to be exterminated: count me out.

I don't know much about the comics either, but my understanding is that Magnito believes humans "are universally assholes and deserve to be exterminated"; there are various humans (like those behind Sentinel) who believe mutants "are universally assholes and deserve to be exterminated"; and Professor X who says "Can't we all just get along".

• Love 2

I loved Caitlin and loathed Reed in the beginning but my like for both is switching slowly over time.  

I did enjoy the Father/Son bonding as they plan and break into a building, and then monopoly.

I'm still catching up and I just need to know if there's a Strucker reveal at all...

Edited by CyberJawa1986

Caitlin is so incredibly stupid at this point. She's constantly tossing out her opinion to the people who've been fighting for their lives for years and she's complaining that the kids shouldn't be training to use their powers because... they should have normal lives...

You can't have a normal life if you can't survive a run in with metal spiders or guys with guns.

At least Reed's opinions are based on previous experience with both sides whereas Caitlin just whines about some idealized version of reality where talking about problems somehow will resolve them. 

Until Lorna starts talking about how all humans are worthless I'm going to reserve judgement on her potential Magnetoness. 

Lorna and the Mutant Underground have shown incredible restraint. People with guns are frequently attacking them and instead of reacting with deadly force they go out of their way in order to preserve the lives of the people trying to capture or kill them.