Type keyword(s) to search

Current Squad 2017-2018: Media, Music, Videos & Show Group

sleepyjean
  • Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

Publicly embarrassing your employer is pretty much always grounds for dismissal.  I would assume that her conduct violated at least a general conduct rule of sorts, but whether there was a specific rule that she violated is a bit besides the point IMO. I also don't see why she should get the benefit of the doubt as to how she reacted to getting in trouble. I don't dislike Whitney to be clear, but she seemed quite immature on the show. Fabulous dancer but immature. 

We’re all entitled to our opinions, but not much is more embarrassing than an employee  being so disconnected with American history and well, manners, that they don’t understand why a white girl painting herself like a black man is controversial. 

• Love 11
36 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

What happened with Whitney and Holly are two completely different incidents compared to Jenna. Whitney was not breaking the rules when her incident happened. She made a bad mistake, but I bet she did not act like her leadership abilities were questioned or tested instead of admitting she made a bad mistake and learned from it.

Jenna's leadership abilities were questioned and she was tested, meaning she went through an emotionally difficult and stressful time.  I believe Jenna accepted responsibility for her mistakes.

Whitney was stupid, and obviously lacking any true friends because no one stopped her.  What she did was indefensible.  Being a national negative news story IS breaking a rule.

I don't believe the Whitney incident was addressed publicly by the DCC, so NONE of us know what Whitney's reaction was,  Even if she did apologize later, she wasn't confronted while being filmed.  Apples and oranges.

Why does Whitney get the benefit of the doubt, and not Jenna?

Can someone please post the videos of Jenna stealing candy from kids or kicking puppies?

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, MamaV said:

What was Holly A’s crime?  PM me if necessary!

Oh no, Holly did nothing wrong.  Her cloud was hacked (as were many people's) and pictures that were meant for her husband only were leaked.

10 minutes ago, hypeman said:

Jenna's leadership abilities were questioned and she was tested, meaning she went through an emotionally difficult and stressful time.  I believe Jenna accepted responsibility for her mistakes.

IMO the thing she did that really pissed off Kelli was when she made that comment that she feels like she's being punished over & over again.  That may have put the final nail in her coffin.

Edited by ByTor
9 minutes ago, ByTor said:

IMO the thing she did that really pissed off Kelli was when she made that comment that she feels like she's being punished over & over again.  That may have put the final nail in her coffin.

Make no mistake, Jenna is the author of her own misfortunes.  But let her serve her punishment, and move forward.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

We’re all entitled to our opinions, but not much is more embarrassing than an employee  being so disconnected with American history and well, manners, that they don’t understand why a white girl painting herself like a black man is controversial. 

Whitney was at a private party when this happened, and someone posted a picture of her on social media. Jenna was seen with Holly and was seen with a football player. If the one picture of Whitney was not brought to light, none of us would have known about it. It was brought up during social media training in Season 6 or 7. Yes Whitney made a bad mistake when it came to her costume, and she paid the price for it. Jenna and Holly both broke the rules, and it became public knowledge. She was more concerned about losing point girl than the fact she was caught red handed. And lets face it, Whitney is not the first or last immature girl on the squad who has done some not too bright things during their DCC career. Jenna with her poor me I was questioned and tested when it came to my leadership skills than saying okay I broke some rules, I got caught, and I learn my lesson and will try my best to be a model DCC for myself and my teammates.

1 hour ago, ByTor said:

Yeah, I really will not be shocked if she gets pro bowl.  Maybe she's been a model DCC all season.

I would be shocked, sorta. And Jenna's one of my favorites. Random, but I would love to see Maggie or Robin get Pro Bowl. It would be a surprise, but also a non-controversial pick for them.

If anyone knows that Holly A story, let me know please! 

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

Whitney was at a private party when this happened, and someone posted a picture of her on social media. Jenna was seen with Holly and was seen with a football player. If the one picture of Whitney was not brought to light, none of us would have known about it. It was brought up during social media training in Season 6 or 7. Yes Whitney made a bad mistake when it came to her costume, and she paid the price for it. Jenna and Holly both broke the rules, and it became public knowledge. She was more concerned about losing point girl than the fact she was caught red handed. And lets face it, Whitney is not the first or last immature girl on the squad who has done some not too bright things during their DCC career. Jenna with her poor me I was questioned and tested when it came to my leadership skills than saying okay I broke some rules, I got caught, and I learn my lesson and will try my best to be a model DCC for myself and my teammates.

How did she pay the price for it? Other than being embarrassed, she was still the point girl, got pro bowl, group leader, etc. Also, we have no idea how Whitney would've reacted if she had been told she's not going to be point because she's an embarrassment to the organization or because she screwed up. That never happened to her, which is how this conversation started. The notion that K&J would not send someone to pro bowl who has caused problems has simply not been the case before. Now, they may have changed their standards since then. It's possible that they didn't really have a real problem with Whitney's behavior, but that they have a big issue with cheerleaders having sex/hanging in a bar with football players. It's also possible that they have simply had enough with bad behavior and chose to make an example out of Jenna and Holly, which I don't have an issue with. They can enforce their rules however they want as long as they're not engaging in discrimination. I don't know what their reasons are, but I know what they have done (or not done) in the past. 

Edited by Jess14
  • Love 9

Yeah i don't think @jess14 was trying to make a competition of who was the worst or who broke the rule etc.

What she did say was they've had people before who did really dumbass stuff that put the organization in a bad light, and they still made pro bowl, vet of the year, all stars, kept point, etc.

So who knows, Jenna may get pro bowl. I'm so over Jenna but I'd give it to her just so she'll LEAVE.

I bet Jinelle gets Vet of the Year, but they send Kashara to Pro Bowl. And Lacey retires. 

• Love 3

What Whitney did was in a totally different class than what Jenna, Holly, or anyone else at DCC has done. I live up in Canada, and I've known since I was very young that doing blackface is completely inappropriate and racist. There is absolutely NO REASON why Whitney, who was living down south in Texas for goodness sake, should not know the meaning behind her actions. In fact, I'm positive she did know. She knew and just didn't care, because she wanted to be shocking or ridiculous, to get attention, and made a conscious decision that to dress and apply her makeup in that offensive manner. 

Jenna and Holly slept with players, which went against their contract and was potentially embarrassing for the DCC franchise. Whitney blatantly dressed in a way that was hurtful and disrespectful to 13% of the US population and who knows how many fans. I really don't see a comparison here. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Jess14 said:

How did she pay the price for it? Other than being embarrassed, she was still the point girl, got pro bowl, group leader, etc. Also, we have no idea how Whitney would've reacted if she had been told she's not going to be point because she's an embarrassment to the organization or because she screwed up. That never happened to her, which is how this conversation started. The notion that K&J would not send someone to pro bowl who has caused problems has simply not been the case before. Now, they may have changed their standards since then. It's possible that they didn't really have a real problem with Whitney's behavior, but that they have a big issue with cheerleaders having sex/hanging in a bar with football players. It's also possible that they have simply had enough with bad behavior and chose to make an example out of Jenna and Holly, which I don't have an issue with. They can enforce their rules however they want as long as they're

54 minutes ago, Acromantula said:

What Whitney did was in a totally different class than what Jenna, Holly, or anyone else at DCC has done. I live up in Canada, and I've known since I was very young that doing blackface is completely inappropriate and racist. There is absolutely NO REASON why Whitney, who was living down south in Texas for goodness sake, should not know the meaning behind her actions. In fact, I'm positive she did know. She knew and just didn't care, because she wanted to be shocking or ridiculous, to get attention, and made a conscious decision that to dress and apply her makeup in that offensive manner. 

Jenna and Holly slept with players, which went against their contract and was potentially embarrassing for the DCC franchise. Whitney blatantly dressed in a way that was hurtful and disrespectful to 13% of the US population and who knows how many fans. I really don't see a comparison here. 

not engaging in discrimination. I don't know what their reasons are, but I know what they have done (or not done) in the past. 

Thank you reasonable and sane people

Edited by mmm
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Whitney was in her 20s and what she never heard that this offensive  that means she's a racist , ignorant or Stupid. Either choice she should've been fired or at least punished yet she had the perfect DCC career. Yet another girl who hung out with a guy her own age was punished bec of made up rule that the current owner of the team wanted to cancel. THAT'S INSANE logic !!!!!

3 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Thank you !!!

Edited by mmm
  • Love 6

Agree with everything @mmm said above. To be honest though, I guess we shouldn't be surprised anymore when someone does something offensive and racist, yet does not get punished for it. Look at Julianne Hough, who went blackface in 2013 for Halloween (Whitney did it in 2009) and continues to have an illustrious career on Dancing with the Stars, etc. 

The thing that's so startling to me about Whitney's seeming lack of punishment, is that when you google images of her the blackface photos still come up. In fact, they appear in the third row down, so even still these photos have repercussions and can be viewed online (8+ years later). But with Jenna and Holly, I don't see any photos of them cozying up to a player, or snogging in a corner of a bar or anything. There's no obvious trace online. And even if there was, those type of photos would hardly have the same effect on the viewers. Yet DCC felt that both Jenna's and Holly's misdemeanours were damaging enough that they needed to be addressed on camera, but Whitney didn't even have to explain herself publicly ever, as far as I know. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Acromantula said:

Agree with everything @mmm said above. To be honest though, I guess we shouldn't be surprised anymore when someone does something offensive and racist, yet does not get punished for it. Look at Julianne Hough, who went blackface in 2013 for Halloween (Whitney did it in 2009) and continues to have an illustrious career on Dancing with the Stars, etc. 

The thing that's so startling to me about Whitney's seeming lack of punishment, is that when you google images of her the blackface photos still come up. In fact, they appear in the third row down, so even still these photos have repercussions and can be viewed online (8+ years later). But with Jenna and Holly, I don't see any photos of them cozying up to a player, or snogging in a corner of a bar or anything. There's no obvious trace online. And even if there was, those type of photos would hardly have the same effect on the viewers. Yet DCC felt that both Jenna's and Holly's misdemeanours were damaging enough that they needed to be addressed on camera, but Whitney didn't even have to explain herself publicly ever, as far as I know. 

100% agree 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Jess14 said:

It's also possible that they have simply had enough with bad behavior and chose to make an example out of Jenna and Holly,

I think that's exactly what happened.

8 hours ago, UnicornKicks said:

I'm so over Jenna but I'd give it to her just so she'll LEAVE.

Certainly you're more in the know than I am, but I think there's zero chance that she's returning for another year.

Edited by ByTor
"thunk" isn't a word!
  • Love 2

Whitney was not in public when she went to a private Halloween party. Someone posted the picture on social media, and the whole thing hit the fan. I think she was embarrassed because it made national headlines. The organization was hit hard, and I am sure she was called out for it by Judy and especially Kelli and Charlotte. It was brought up on the show as part of the social media training. Jenna and Holly were seen in public (not at a private party) breaking rules, and they were caught and had to deal with the results of their bad actions. And btw, Whitney did talk about what she did on the show during the one social media training in Season 6 or 7. She may have done something stupid, but she will always be remembered for what she did. Jenna is not completely innocent, and I am sure she has not learn her lesson.

I could see Jinelle returning for one more year. She seems to absolutely love it, has time on her Visa, still looks great...and for sure they could use her maturity. 

I'd be 100% shocked if Jenna returned.  I think even she is ready to move on to other things. 

I think there's a good chance Kash will retire after this year whether she gets PB or not.  I hope she does one more because I love her and think she's deserved every accolade she's received this year (i know i'm party of one on that, don't care).  I like her as point but wouldn't be upset if she switched off with someone next year and frankly I don't think she'd mind that either. 

I think Lacey has one more year in her and has a strong chance at point if she returns.  She's turned if up this year and it's been fun to see.  Girl is also DCC gold. 

I honestly have no guess who PB will be. It's been a weird year. I wouldn't even be surprised if Heather O got it LOL 

• Love 12

Whitney was not in public when she went to a private Halloween party.

It doesn't matter if you are racist in public or private.  I think anyone could have realized in 2009 as you are painting your face brown , hmm, maybe this isn't the best idea.  Kelli should be ashamed that she let Whitney stay on the squad.  But she was a pretty blonde who was a great dancer so she got to stay!

• Love 15
2 hours ago, tajalexander said:

I could see Jinelle doing a 6th year and having her same Thunderstruck spot.

Same.

38 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

I could see Jinelle returning for one more year. She seems to absolutely love it, has time on her Visa, still looks great...and for sure they could use her maturity. 

I'd be 100% shocked if Jenna returned.  I think even she is ready to move on to other things. 

I think there's a good chance Kash will retire after this year whether she gets PB or not.  I hope she does one more because I love her and think she's deserved every accolade she's received this year (i know i'm party of one on that, don't care).  I like her as point but wouldn't be upset if she switched off with someone next year and frankly I don't think she'd mind that either. 

I think Lacey has one more year in her and has a strong chance at point if she returns.  She's turned if up this year and it's been fun to see.  Girl is also DCC gold. 

I honestly have no guess who PB will be. It's been a weird year. I wouldn't even be surprised if Heather O got it LOL 

Jenna's done. I'm pretty sure Lacey will be back.

2 minutes ago, iloveit said:

It doesn't matter if you are racist in public or private.  I think anyone could have realized in 2009 as you are painting your face brown , hmm, maybe this isn't the best idea.  Kelli should be ashamed that she let Whitney stay on the squad.  But she was a pretty blonde who was a great dancer so she got to stay!

Meh. I can't really agree w/ that because even as a black woman, at that time, I wouldn't have immediately considered that as black face or been offended. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Whitney was not in public when she went to a private Halloween party.

Unless she got dressed at the party, she did appear in public in blackface. How is this even relevant? Just like Jenna, she is responsible for her actions. You never see teenagers do this, only college age kids, once in a blue moon.  I guess they are trying to be ironic or rebellious or whatever.  

She may have done something stupid, but she will always be remembered for what she did.

Good,  But what is the impetus for minimizing Whitney's actions?  She didn't kill anyone, but it was seriously brand-damaging.  She's very fortunate that this happened in 2009.  If this happened now, Twitter would go in.

And btw, Whitney did talk about what she did on the show during the one social media training in Season 6 or 7.

Comparing Jenna's initial reaction to Whitney's, which was at least a year removed from the incident, is comparing apples to oranges. Anyone can be recalcitrant after meeting with HR and having months to craft a statement,

Jenna is not completely innocent, and I am sure she has not learn her lesson.

When did Jenna or anyone claim she was in any way innocent? Furthermore, I'm not sure what Jenna learned (and neither is anyone else),  I don't read minds.

This is the perfect example of false equivalency.

I'll just say again, the Jenna hate is real.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, LadyMsJay said:

Meh. I can't really agree w/ that because even as a black woman, at that time, I wouldn't have immediately considered that as black face or been offended. 

I really don't think Whitney did either...she dressed like a rapper and made her skin up to look like him, I do not think she did what she did with any malice.

• Love 8

I'm moving on from the Jenna/Whitney debate. I wish both girls well, and am sure they will BOTH make better choices,

Although I vehemently disagree with some of the opinions on here, I welcome the vigorous exchange of ideas.  

#PeaceLoveUnderstanding

• Love 2

Call me crazy... but I actually don’t think Whitney thinks she did anything wrong. Or didn’t actually learn her lesson. 

I remeber on the show when they had that social media segment, she ended up saying something like “so you should be careful what you post online” and not “hmmm... maybe I should have though twice before taking this dark ass tanning lotion and insulting a race.”

my views: There has never and will never be an excuse for blackface. There are too many articles readily available for anyone to reasonably think it was a good idea. Even back when they had that party.

And I was AMAZED that my faves Jackie Bob and Mia posed for pictures with her in that.

7 minutes ago, hypeman said:

I'm moving on from the Jenna/Whitney debate. I wish both girls well, and am sure they will BOTH make better choices,

Although I vehemently disagree with some of the opinions on here, I welcome the vigorous exchange of ideas.  

#PeaceLoveUnderstanding

Very diplomatic lol but I’m still fighting for Jenna until they take those poms from her hands.

Edited by tajalexander
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Whitney was not in public when she went to a private Halloween party. Someone posted the picture on social media, and the whole thing hit the fan. I think she was embarrassed because it made national headlines. The organization was hit hard, and I am sure she was called out for it by Judy and especially Kelli and Charlotte. It was brought up on the show as part of the social media training. Jenna and Holly were seen in public (not at a private party) breaking rules, and they were caught 

So, if Holly and Jenna were simply dating football players and only going to private parties with them, that would be ok? Smarter? Sure, but it’s still against the rules. 

Everyone had cell phones in 2009, and while social media wasn’t as big then as it is now, Facebook and MySpace were already huge. It should not have been a surprise to anyone that a picture from a big party could end up online. I get the argument that Whitney wasn’t enlightened enough to know that her costume was offensive, but why does it make a difference whether she was at a party at a club or a party at someone’s house? If she were chilling on her couch, that’s one thing, but she was at a party.

Ill leave it alone now. Whitney is long gone, and I certainly wish her no ill will. I wasn’t intending to re-start a conversation on blackface or racially insensitive costumes. I was just pointing out that they’re not always had a zero tolerance policy when it came to honors and accolades for cheerleaders with prior issues.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, LaurenBrook said:

Agree with all of this @LaurenBrook.  Kashara and Lacey should both absolutely return for one more year.  I do think that next year will be Lacey's turn at point, and I don't think that Kash would mind that at all.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tajalexander said:

Call me crazy... but I actually don’t think Whitney thinks she did anything wrong. Or didn’t actually learn her lesson. 

I remeber on the show when they had that social media segment, she ended up saying something like “so you should be careful what you post online” and not “hmmm... maybe I should have though twice before taking this dark ass tanning lotion and insulting a race.”

my views: There has never and will never be an excuse for blackface. There are too many articles readily available for anyone to reasonably think it was a good idea. Even back when they had that party.

And I was AMAZED that my faves Jackie Bob and Mia posed for pictures with her in that.

Very diplomatic lol but I’m still fighting for Jenna until they take those poms from her hands.

That was always my argument- obviously she didn't see it as wrong- why should she when her two AA teammates were standing by her side, smiling?  My theory is that I just don't ever think Whitney was that bright.  I think it's entirely possible she did what she did without having any idea of the historical implications.  She seems to have learned from it- problem solved.  

Jenna could get PB, but I doubt it.  I just think Kelli is over her at this point, even though she's possibly the best dancer there at this point.

I like KaShara and I think she's a great point.  She's one of my favorites.  I hope she comes back, even though I'd be equally happy if Lacey was point next year.

• Love 4

Kashara’s ‘My Boots, My Cause’ talks about her dad now being into remission for cancer. I think she was debating staying another year if he didn’t get better, but he did. So I hope she comes back or at least stays to fill in as an All star. 

Lacey said she was 50/50 on her podcast, but I hope she comes back too.

They can take turns at point.

Jinelle and Jenna need to move on to All Stars. 

• Love 3
Just now, Calicocats said:

That was always my argument- obviously she didn't see it as wrong- why should she when her two AA teammates were standing by her side, smiling?  My theory is that I just don't ever think Whitney was that bright.  I think it's entirely possible she did what she did without having any idea of the historical implications.  She seems to have learned from it- problem solved.  

I don’t think Whitney is that bright either, and I don’t think she quite understood what she was doing, which is pathetic, but Kelli and the rest of the Cowboys managent ARE that bright. They just didn’t care too much about how bad it looked, bc Whitney brought in revenue as the hot blond in the calendars and upfront in the photos.

• Love 5

I think it's a rare year where there is only one girl who merits being selected for Pro Bowl. It must be hard for K & J knowing that someone has to be disappointed. This year has flown by, hard to believe we are only a few months away from starting discussion of the 2018 /2019 squad.

I actually don't dislike any of these girls. They all have something special and I admire the hard work that got them this far.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Kashara’s ‘My Boots, My Cause’ talks about her dad now being into remission for cancer. I think she was debating staying another year if he didn’t get better, but he did. So I hope she comes back or at least stays to fill in as an All star. 

Lacey said she was 50/50 on her podcast, but I hope she comes back too.

They can take turns at point.

Jinelle and Jenna need to move on to All Stars. 

Agreed. I think it would be better for Jenna’s own sake to move on all together from the DCC world, but if she wants to be an All Star, I don’t see a good reason why they wouldn’t take her. She’s young, still clearly a great dancer, in shape and will tow the “DCC is the best thing that ever happened to me” line forever. Same for Jinelle.

I think it would be good for Kashara and Lacey to return. I’ve made no secret that I’ve thought that Kashara was shoved down the viewers throats this year, but I still like her and think she adds value to the team. I also feel like Lavey is due for a big year. If both leave, along with Jenna and Jinelle (who I guess will retire), that’s a big leadership void. After that, you basically have Robyn and who else to really step up and be the face of the team?

30 minutes ago, Glamourdoll said:

This year has flown by, hard to believe we are only a few months away from starting discussion of the 2018 /2019 squad.

Right?  It feels like just yesterday we were discussing Hall of Fame.

21 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

I also feel like Lavey is due for a big year. If both leave, along with Jenna and Jinelle (who I guess will retire), that’s a big leadership void. After that, you basically have Robyn and who else to really step up and be the face of the team?

Please remind me, since I'm always getting my years screwed up, were Robin & Lacey from the same rookie class?

• Love 1

Lacey is a four year vet, and Robin is a three year vet. Imo, the team has been struggling big time since Season 6 after the big vet exit after Season 5. Season 7 was okay, but when Season 8 came along, the team really started going downhill. The last two years have been bad, and this year's squad is really hurting for decent quality leadership from their upper seniority girls. Like I said it will be interesting to see who stays and who will step up to the plate in leadership and being a good DCC on and off the field.

Edited by bigskygirl
34 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

Agreed. I think it would be better for Jenna’s own sake to move on all together from the DCC world, but if she wants to be an All Star, I don’t see a good reason why they wouldn’t take her. She’s young, still clearly a great dancer, in shape and will tow the “DCC is the best thing that ever happened to me” line forever. Same for Jinelle.

I think it would be good for Kashara and Lacey to return. I’ve made no secret that I’ve thought that Kashara was shoved down the viewers throats this year, but I still like her and think she adds value to the team. I also feel like Lavey is due for a big year. If both leave, along with Jenna and Jinelle (who I guess will retire), that’s a big leadership void. After that, you basically have Robyn and who else to really step up and be the face of the team?

It's not like there's a QB who calls plays to win games. No star that wins games or sells $$$$$ jerseys, etc.  I don't think they care who will be face of the team bc they use old girls in promos, ads, website, for YEARS.

Now Robyn stepping up would not make me mad unless it derails her from having a real broadcast career. Don't want her to get so stuck in DCC that she makes that her highlight of her life (like I wonder about Cersten and med school, now that she's got a taste of fame, or these girls who go down the Reality Show road to hell - just waiting on Erica to do that. Maybe Jenna).

Let Robyn be the next Katie Couric or Oprah.

• Love 9
50 minutes ago, UnicornKicks said:

Now Robyn stepping up would not make me mad unless it derails her from having a real broadcast career. Don't want her to get so stuck in DCC that she makes that her highlight of her life (like I wonder about Cersten and med school, now that she's got a taste of fame, or these girls who go down the Reality Show road to hell - just waiting on Erica to do that. Maybe Jenna).

Wasn't whatshisface saying that they are trying to hire Robin to do something with Broadcasting at the Star on the podcast?

7 minutes ago, tajalexander said:

Wasn't whatshisface saying that they are trying to hire Robin to do something with Broadcasting at the Star on the podcast?

Robyn would be better than Shannon, or that other girl on there. I’d be ok for her to retire if she got a job with Cowboys broadcasting. I think Robyn is amazing! 

I finally caught up with the podcasts and you can really see how polished Tasha is. She doesn’t skip a beat in just politely saying she’s from Utah and danced NBA straight out of high school, when he kept asking about college.

Also - Madeline couldn’t not annoy me more if she tried. She is trying too hard to be the nerdy, Emma Stone, alternative girl, but she’s not pulling it off. At all. She seems so forced into trying to pull off this personality, instead of just being herself. 

She’s 21. If you told me 14, I’d believe it maturity and appearance wise. I’ll never understand why they chose her. 

Edited by RazzleberryPie
Remembered Shannon’s name
  • Love 11

IMO if they weren't nagging about weight 24/7, they'd still have Megan and Amy T and Melissa and that would help them tremendously.  This is just my opinion.   

The year they had Erica, Lacey, Melissa and Amy T, Megan and Holly- that was a strong squad.  

• Love 6

Melissa moved on career wise probably. She had a chance to work with doctors to improve children's health at a children hospital. If I had the chance to do the same thing I would jump at it. Being a DCC is all fine and dandy, but it is not a career.

6 hours ago, LadyMsJay said:

6 hours ago, iloveit said:

Meh. I can't really agree w/ that because even as a black woman, at that time, I wouldn't have  immediately considered that as black face or been offended.

Exactly! Black Face is so much more than simply painting your face brown. What Whitney did wasn't the brightest thing in the world to do given people are eager to jump on the racist bandwagon at the least little thing, but she wasn't in Black Face and she wasn't being racist. She was simply dressing up as someone who she admired who happened to black and didn't choose the best way to emulate him

http://black-face.com/:

"Blackface is more than just burnt cork applied as makeup. It is a style of entertainment based on racist Black stereotypes that began in minstrel shows and continues today."

Edited by hannahbanana
  • Love 6

I don't understand many things.

One is this great nostalgia for squads of yesteryear.

1. I binged watched the first four seasons over Thanksgiving, Except for the first and last episode, the shows were only 30 mins.  Almost no dancing was shown in the early years.  The youtube vids where I could really see someone dancing, from this era, are just of show group.  The choreography was horrible compared to current choreo (thank you guest choreographers for improving the routines).  There also seemed to be some girls make the team with little formal training, which doesn't seem to happen now (Kelsey being the exception, but she's had a couple of years).
  2. Prior to this year, routines weren't posted on social media,  The routines this year look great - definitely far superior than other NFL teams I've seen,  There is no comparable vids I can find for earlier years,

Please correct me if my facts are wrong and there is a treasure trove of old vids with dynamite dancing.  I don't think there is one iota of evidence from the show that says the squads have gone down.

What are these opinions based upon?  Personal observation at games/appearances? Youtube vids?

I personally think we all have a tendency to glorify earlier times.  And I don't have a problem with that,  Our feelings and opinions don't have to be based on facts (most actually aren't).

This is not meant to be at all confrontational.  I am seriously wondering if I missed something (which is a real possibility).

ETA:  This is a question about how posters arrive at their opinions about the CURRENT SQUAD when they compare them to previous squads.

Edited by hypeman
clarity
  • Love 10

Melissa and Megan both could not keep weight and had career opportunities so both reasons factored in. Career opportunities just sounds like the girls were in total control. I wish both had stayed.

Choreo just gets better every year. Look at the old movie or on the love boat. Goofy cornball moves and terrible technique, but they're all pretty!

Then the Kelli era they just look to me like they're prissing around , squealing and jazzercising with ginormous poms. My mom says that's just how they danced then, that most DID have training. Those 90s videos the girls all got sexier with that huge hair band hair, but kicks were awful. 

Compare now to the first MTT seasons and you have more cookie cutter girls and less personality. Now there's tighter bodies and far better technique, plus theyve weeded out some of the outdated moves. Far more turns, leaps, extensions now, even outside of show group. 

They have up and down years, like all teams, but overall keep getting better. I agree with who said that year with Jacie, Holly, Amy T, Melissa, Megan, Erica, Lacey, HOlly P, Jenna, JennK, probably more I can't think of, they were STACKED with talent. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, hypeman said:

I don't understand many things.

One is this great nostalgia for squads of yesteryear.

For me personally it was the show actually gave me an opportunity to know the girls, or at least be able to tell them apart. I was able to care about them in that "as seen on TV" way. Having someone to root for made the show that much more enjoyable. There is a reason I still remember their names, where I cannot say the the same for more recent years. 

9 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Also - Madeline couldn’t not annoy me more if she tried. She is trying too hard to be the nerdy, Emma Stone, alternative girl, but she’s not pulling it off. At all. She seems so forced into trying to pull off this personality, instead of just being herself. 

Hahah...you know, I usually love Maddie, but I did find at the beginning of the podcast she seemed a little...sarcastic/putting on an attitude. I thought she improved throughout the interview, though, and loved how excited she was about Star Wars. Also chortled with her "My favourite colour is black...like my soul!". 

Lexie is beautiful, but kinda boring. Maddie definitely kept that interview going. Also rolled my eyes when Lexie claimed to be a "book nerd" and then mentioned the latest book she'd read was some trashy chick-lit. 

Also, it was interesting to hear from two girls who were both cut their first time auditioning. Especially after hearing that Maddie wasn't told to re-audition, and then she did! That musta taken guts. I'm glad they ended up taking her though. 

Someone must have spoken to Shannon. He's been on much better behaviour these last couple of podcasts. Courtney is irritating me more, however. I find her and Shannon really don't have any sort of "vibe" together as interviewers, and they don't play off of each other very well. Courtney's "Tee hee! Can you hear me? I can't hear me! tee hee!" is getting a bit old as well. Someone sign Robyn up stat for this!

• Love 1