Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: I Want You to Leave a Person Alive for Once

Javier heads out on his annual solo camping trip to commemorate the death of his baby brother. But when Letty discovers this is a lie and Javier accepted an assignment in order to provide for Letty and Jacob, she sets out to stop him. Ava’s ex-boyfriend from Argentina shows up amid unusual circumstances.

I don't know why Letty insists on doing the most when trying to stop Javier.  Before, she was just by herself and didn't have a family to take care of.  Now, she's still trying to do it, even after her kid was brought along.  The end was a good example of her negligence when looking after Jacob.

It's too bad he learned how to be a liar from her, he gaslit Apple like a pro.

I felt terrible for Javier about his estrangement from his family.   The only things he has in the word are Letty and Jacob, I think Silk was his only friend.

Ava's ex looks like scum - who shows up at the memorial of his ex-girlfriend's ex-husband and flirts in front of her daughters? Although the girls were right, he is cute.
I think he was in the Narcos show on Netflix.

Edited by peridot
  • Love 2

That was such an odd and uneven episode. The writing seemed way off. I don't mind that Letty and Javier were bickering, but there was way too much back and forth "Yes I am/No you're not" stuff, stretching into ridiculous repetition, plus the discussion about whether it was 8:02 or 8:03 or whatever... I don't know, was it supposed to represent the dullness of living together, of so-called normal life together? If so, I have to say it didn't work for me -- I kept wondering if the showrunner/executive producer took the week off and didn't do a final pass on the script. Or, maybe the director or editor's fault? Seems weird for so many to fall down, so maybe I missed some purposeful intent. Or, it was just uneven and bad.

But there were some really good scenes as well -- Javier and Bryce at the cliff; Jacob convincing Apple she was drunk; Ava's daughters confessing they wished Javier was at the memorial -- telling the creepy ex that he didn't have to lie. Speaking of, he was very suspicious. Wonder if he's involved somehow in the hit on Javier.

• Love 1

I liked this one a lot.  I thought it had the same sort of tension as last season's family dinner episode (which wasn't one of my favorites, despite JDB's amazing performance), but with the right amount of humor mixed in.  Jacob telling Javier about the stress of looking for bears with Rob cracked me up. 

But honestly,  I would be happiest if every scene was just Michelle & Juan.  The opening with them talking on the bed could have lasted the entire episode and I would've been thrilled. He might not tell her about his jobs, but I was glad he told her about Silk and that she knew how that would affect him.

• Love 5

This had just too many coincidences.   Jav finds out on Friday that they need money on Monday so by Saturday he knows where the guy is camping etc. I thought hit man spent a lot of time planning etc.   Then in the whole park, whichever it was, he finds the guy, Carin finds them and a 'scout' troop picks the same spot.  A troop that you can add your child to, in the forest just by paying up. A simple line like, 'due to the late season only one campsite remains open' would have helped.   Even in the case of an accidental death there will be an inquiry.  So what about Jav and Letty's  ID's etc when that happens.    Not to mention the fact that Apple might just decide to tell what she saw.  It was just an impossible mess of a story.  Hopefully, this will cause them to disappear and in a perfect world return Jakob to Letty's mom.  So we can just have the two of them.  Also did Letty really think she could get $20,000 in one weekend robbing hotel rooms, and for cash only since jewellery etc needs to be sold first.  Just weak all around.

• Love 2

This episode frustrated me on so many levels.  I think one was how there was too much contrivance in the script about how the adults, who have adult business like killing and partying, get an easy, right on the spot babysitter.  That group just marches up and agrees to take responsibility for your children????  WTH?  And what's so bizarre is that you let them.  (I also didn't buy the little school hall monitor reviewing applications and ordering parents to bring in their tuition.  Really? It's not handled that way by schools who charge that much, from what I have seen. )

And then we have to buy that two mothers are okay with exposing their kids to what they allowed.  I can't imagine.  This is just one more example of how Letty, whom I adore, is NOT a good parent.  What you do is fake something and get you and your kid out of that location. Far away.  It just disgusts me why these writers want to involve children in murder, violence, drugs, alcohol, etc.  It boggles my mind.  My concerns of why Letty should have left her son in a better environment are confirmed.  I suppose it will come down to Jacob telling her that he wants to return home to his grandmother and it's because Letty is UNFIT to parent. She and Javier are too dense to see it.  Or better yet, just let Jacob go to a police station and ask for protection.

I just can't buy into these stories and enjoy the drama and intrigue with kids involved.  It's just too troubling for me.  It's unfortunate.  Maybe, next season, she and Javier will be childless. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

You'd think they would just use the money Letty left with Estelle (for Jacob's care) to pay for his school.

Maybe, that is what Letty was working on, when  Javier stepped in, but, why not tell him?  Plus, placing your kid in a school that costs that much is just ridiculous. You have to come up with that amount each semester, so, you'll constantly stealing and placing the child in danger or being with criminals and danger.  I just can't find entertainment in that. The show has great potential and is a great premise, but, NOT with Jacob in his mom's care, imo.  So, the viewer must not only get over the main characters being killers and thieves, but, overlook that they are harming children.  It's just too much for me. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I thought that's what she meant was working on @SunnyBeBe - but then when he chastised her about stealing to get the money, she didn't correct him.  So I figured he was right and she was planning to steal it via her hotel scam.

And I forgot to mention how much I loved the callback to the Princess Bride thing from S1 lol.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, justmehere said:

I don't mind that Letty and Javier were bickering, but there was way too much back and forth "Yes I am/No you're not" stuff, stretching into ridiculous repetition, plus the discussion about whether it was 8:02 or 8:03 or whatever... I don't know, was it supposed to represent the dullness of living together, of so-called normal life together?

That seriously made me rethink my attention to this show. I actually watched something else after the bickering over Javi going camping, and I came back for the final 10 minutes or so. 

Poor Jacob. I get why he wants to be with Letty, but she's such a terrible mother. He had so much more stability with Estelle and Rob.

I love that they cast JDB's real-life sister as Javi's sister. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

Well, there was plenty in this episode to like. I don't even care how they got rid of the kids, I'm just happy they were separated for most of the ep.

I loved the Letty and Javier exchange in the opening. I could watch 45 minutes of that. But please hold the constant bickering, Chad Hodge. I much prefer passionate exchanges like the ones we saw in the forest. 

Carin is a grade-A pain in my ass. I was happy to see that while Letty is keen to use her as leverage to win or pause arguments with Javi, she's not taking any of her suburban ho-wife BS to heart. How funny that junkie Letty has to be the one who turns down Molly, checks on the kids, and tells the Desperate Housewife that she doesn't have to go home to her cheating husband. Watching Carin unravel shows you how much closer Letty is to "normal" than even she lets herself believe. It's just money and a veneer of respectability that the Carins of the world have over her. 

Another favorite point: Last week, we got to see how great Letty is at her "craft" when she spun the Gwyneth and Goop story at the dinner table. This week, we see how great Jav is at his work. He didn't have to actually kill the guy to get the job done. He's meticulous, determined, and works well under pressure even with tons of obstacles. That scene with Bryce was tough to watch, but I was fascinated by JDB. He was stone cold and on form. That was the first time I was truly scared of him and can see the psychopath underneath it all. Still love him though!

And I really can't say enough about the cinematography this ep. It truly felt like the poetic noir they all say they are going for. The slow-mo dancing around the camp was at once hedonistic and ritualistic. The way it zoomed in on Letty's face (and Michelle's broken, confused expression that she nailed) was entrancing. But my favorite was the moment Bryce stepped off the cliff. The motif with Jav standing there alone wasn't just beautiful, it reminded me of the lone sailor at the edge of the water in the painting Letty saw in Christian's office in the first ep. Just magnificent. I actually gasped. 

In the midst of the darkness and drama there were also moments where I burst out laughing like a lunatic. "Craigslist!" when Letty asked Jav where he got the tent. His Princess Bridge impression. Jacob's "I get drunk all the time" to Apple and him telling Jav "That was stressful" about Rob hunting for bears. They were all so deadpan and perfectly delivered. 

Speaking of Jacob, he did not annoy me this ep! I love how his first instinct was to defend Jav, and then weave a lie to Apple to shut her up. Kid's got loyalty, that's for sure. I also think it's a great sign (not of Letty's parenting, but Estelle's) that while he can lie, he knows where to stop. He didn't want to leave their designated tent, he had no interest in the beer... maybe Letty's said "Do as I say, not as I do" enough times that he believes it. But I do love that he clearly has her instincts. He knew when it was time to speak up in the car and let them know what Apple saw.

The sister subplot makes me sad. JDB's heartbroken face in those convos just kills me. Anyone else think the mysterious creeper is the one who killed Silk and tried to take out Javi??

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 6

One more thing to add: It's becoming a standoff with Letty and Jav as to who can go longer without saying "I love you." Jav skirted it beautifully when he talked about taking a job so he could pay for Jacob's school. He has no family, but this is something he can do for someone he loves. And if Jav loves Jacob, then it's pretty clear he loves Letty as well.

Letty's feral anger when Javier mentioned "Bring Your Wife to Work Day" was the reaction of someone terrified of her own feelings. She says she wants a "normal" life, but the reality of it and her proximity to it at this moment is almost too much for her. I look forward to seeing how she grapples with these issues through the rest of the season.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

The way it zoomed in on Letty's face (and Michelle's broken, confused expression that she nailed) was entrancing. 

I'm biased because I think Michelle is amazing no matter what, but she does broken down and world-weary like nobody's business.  Her face conveys a million different facets of pain and desperation.

11 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

One more thing to add: It's becoming a standoff with Letty and Jav as to who can go longer without saying "I love you." Jav skirted it beautifully when he talked about taking a job so he could pay for Jacob's school. He has no family, but this is something he can do for someone he loves. And if Jav loves Jacob, then it's pretty clear he loves Letty as well.

I was a major fan of soaps back in the day and I remember how important it was for your favorite couple to have their first declaration of love, lol, so I admit I got a little giddy when he made that comment about helping someone he loves.  At least two people have asked Letty if she loves Javier (his father and Christian) and she didn't really respond, so I look forward to her telling him herself.

• Love 2

Why is Letty so bent on getting Jacob into an expensive private school?  When he was with his grandmother he was in a public school.

Michelle Dockery is doing a wonderful job acting on this show.  And I think her American accent is much better this season than last - for some reason I found the accent last year to put offputting.

Every episode of this show requires you to suspend belief.  

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, abbyzenn said:

Why is Letty so bent on getting Jacob into an expensive private school?  When he was with his grandmother he was in a public school.

Michelle Dockery is doing a wonderful job acting on this show.  And I think her American accent is much better this season than last - for some reason I found the accent last year to put offputting.

i was just going to ask this. why can't jacob go to public school? $20,000 for a semester?!

and totally true. you must suspend belief, this show should be in the fantasy genre.

• Love 3

My take on the school thing is that in Letty's fantasy world of giving Jacob the very best of everything in their new life, that includes the best education.  And you know in her mind, expensive private school is always going to seem better than free public school.

• Love 2

I liked this episode a lot. It had all the things that make this show great (minus Estelle and Rob, I missed them!). Great scenery/cinematography/production design (I love that they shoot on location in the southeast), a brutal Javier hit with an unsympathetic victim, Letty and Javier arguing over their respective vices, Ava, and dashes of random humor at all the right places.

I think this episode was meant to act as a wake-up call to Letty and Javier that they can go on being criminals or they can have a normal life and raise Jacob together, but they absolutely cannot do both. The problem with them is that they only way they can see to having a normal* life is through their criminal activity. They don't know how, or are unwilling, to take the long way to rebuilding their little family unit. They want it all right here, right now, and they only way they know how to go about that is through stealing and killing.

*I feel the need to clarify what they see as "normal." They don't just want a nice simple little life, they both enjoy living in luxury and are unwilling to work hard at that in an ethical, legal way. Stealing and killing get them there much faster, which is one of the reasons I think they're both unwilling to give up these parts of their lives.

I might be in the minority, but I like Carin. She's one of those weird little comic-relief side characters that this show does really well.

9 hours ago, justmehere said:

That was such an odd and uneven episode. The writing seemed way off. I don't mind that Letty and Javier were bickering, but there was way too much back and forth "Yes I am/No you're not" stuff, stretching into ridiculous repetition, plus the discussion about whether it was 8:02 or 8:03 or whatever... I don't know, was it supposed to represent the dullness of living together, of so-called normal life together? If so, I have to say it didn't work for me -- I kept wondering if the showrunner/executive producer took the week off and didn't do a final pass on the script. Or, maybe the director or editor's fault? Seems weird for so many to fall down, so maybe I missed some purposeful intent. Or, it was just uneven and bad.

But there were some really good scenes as well -- Javier and Bryce at the cliff; Jacob convincing Apple she was drunk; Ava's daughters confessing they wished Javier was at the memorial -- telling the creepy ex that he didn't have to lie. Speaking of, he was very suspicious. Wonder if he's involved somehow in the hit on Javier.

I like the way this show writes dialogue. It sounds like how real people talk. Random non-sequiturs, rambling on about a topic a little longer than necessary...I like it, it's different. Mileages vary.

37 minutes ago, abbyzenn said:

One of the reasons they gave in the season premiere is that Letty and Javier are only renting their house and don't have a permanent address to give a public school. But I agree with what others said (and it kind of goes to my point above regarding Letty and Javier continuing to steal and kill), that Letty is not satisfied with just a normal life, she wants luxurious/glamorous things. Public school is for plebes whose parents are squares, she can steal to give Jacob something much better.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

I liked this episode a lot. It had all the things that make this show great (minus Estelle and Rob, I missed them!). Great scenery/cinematography/production design (I love that they shoot on location in the southeast), a brutal Javier hit with an unsympathetic victim, Letty and Javier arguing over their respective vices, Ava, and dashes of random humor at all the right places.

I like the way this show writes dialogue. It sounds like how real people talk. Random non-sequiturs, rambling on about a topic a little longer than necessary...I like it, it's different. Mileages vary.

The dialogue is one of the things that made me fall for this show so quickly last season because, as you said, they talk like real people.  I love that. 

Also, I love Ava.  There's just something about the actress I find compelling and kind of soothing.  Not to mention I love the connection between her and Javier.

And it looks like you're going to get a major Estelle/Rob fix next week! 

• Love 3

Boy, that episode was depressing, however I love it that Javier killed that nasty rapist in the worst possible way.  He's such a GOOD hit man. Snort.  ?  Wow, making him jump off a cliff, loved it! I hope Letty now realizes that some people really really need to die! 

• Love 3

Lettie doesn't seem to realize that the $20K tuition is just the tip of the iceberg. Jacob will want the kinds of posh clothes his well-heeled classmates wear, and there will be stuff he'll need for whatever activities he gets involved in like sports equipment or musical instruments and lessons. I guess Lettie could steal for some of it but the more thieving she does the more she risks getting caught. At least Javier realizes that it'll mostly be up to him to bankroll the facade they're trying to maintain.

Darn, don't you just hate it when you're setting up a hit and your girlfriend and her kid and the whacko neighbor from across the street and her kid all show up?

Wow, the way Jacob lied so easily to cover for Javier. That poor kid. He should not be responsible for protecting the adults in his life from the consequences of their bad behavior. He's already developing a bit of hypervigilance from being around Lettie and Javier.

That ditz Carin has no idea she was probably prevented from getting raped. Wonder if we're going to find out what's really going on in her home? It's like she's living in an alternate reality.

• Love 2

I am getting a bad vibe from Ava's ex-boyfriend who came out of the wood work this episode. I am wondering whether he is after Javier?

I was cheering when Javier forced the rapist to jump.

Apple's mama is not exactly mother of the year material either.

Poor Jacob, he is headed for enabling and being complicit in Letty's and Javier's criminal activities, isn't he?

• Love 2

I think Jacob is a natural for the grifting life. We've seen examples of this already, like his playing the security staff in the Walmart-type store last season.

I honestly felt bad for Apple, being taught so early that people won't believe her. I for one am exhausted always being considered an unreliable narrator. 

I would certainly have enjoyed Murder By Bee.  Maybe next time...

• Love 1

I have an uncomfortable feeling about Carin. A normal person wouldn't just show up, at the exact place  no less, with the kids knowing Jav and Letty needed "alone time". My feeling is that she knows something. And boy, can someone be that annoying? Let's have more Ann Dowd! Loved her in The Leftovers too.

I missed this show so much! There in definitely something off about Carin and/or her mega scary husband. And I don't trust Ava's ex at all - he was totally fishing the girls for info on Javi. Letty going on and on about how Bryce was the alpha male & how Javi was never going to get him alone, meanwhile she flirts non stop to get him to like her, knowing he's a rapist, that was just dumb. Not that she deserved him trying to rape her, of course, but she really reads the room better when it comes to anyone else but herself, doesn't she?

• Love 1

Remember just how methodical and careful Javi was when we were first introduced to him?  Now he chooses to be with a headstrong beyotch addict who demands the rules be changed situationally.   Said woman has a bulldog FBI agent hot on her trail.  Insane.

Next week, sunrise will occur in the evening and the moon will dominate the Noon hour.  And they will still loooooove each other.

I was rewatching again last night and couldn't help wondering if Letty's reaction after Bryce tried to rape her was because it had happened to her before.  When Javier told her Bryce had raped someone, she said that was the worst crime anyone could commit.  Plus she made some comment last season that also made me think she'd gone through something like that, but I can't remember now what it was, beyond her saying Sean had physically abused her.  And her utter devastation when she got back to the campsite seemed like more than just her being upset about knowing she'd left Javier alone to kill someone.

Also, nice to see Jacob playing soccer with the other kids since he had such a good instructor last season!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I think this episode was meant to act as a wake-up call to Letty and Javier that they can go on being criminals or they can have a normal life and raise Jacob together, but they absolutely cannot do both. The problem with them is that they only way they can see to having a normal* life is through their criminal activity. They don't know how, or are unwilling, to take the long way to rebuilding their little family unit. They want it all right here, right now, and they only way they know how to go about that is through stealing and killing.

*I feel the need to clarify what they see as "normal." They don't just want a nice simple little life, they both enjoy living in luxury and are unwilling to work hard at that in an ethical, legal way. Stealing and killing get them there much faster, which is one of the reasons I think they're both unwilling to give up these parts of their lives.

I might be in the minority, but I like Carin. She's one of those weird little comic-relief side characters that this show does really well.

One of the reasons they gave in the season premiere is that Letty and Javier are only renting their house and don't have a permanent address to give a public school. But I agree with what others said (and it kind of goes to my point above regarding Letty and Javier continuing to steal and kill), that Letty is not satisfied with just a normal life, she wants luxurious/glamorous things. Public school is for plebes whose parents are squares, she can steal to give Jacob something much better.

what the hell? plenty of people rent their homes and their kids go to public school!! not everyone owns their own home. 

they should not have added jacob  full-time on the show. when kids are involved the whole dynamic changes. in real life and on tv or in movies . you can either be a hit man and a con artist etc or you can be parents and role models for the kids sake . this does not work for me with a child involved. a child who was much better off with his grandmother as his mother is teaching him how to be  dishonest and a criminal . 

and she slipped up and mentioned his real name when talking to her friend. i thought she was supposed to be street smarter than that.

7 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Remember just how methodical and careful Javi was when we were first introduced to him?  Now he chooses to be with a headstrong beyotch addict who demands the rules be changed situationally.   Said woman has a bulldog FBI agent hot on her trail.  Insane.

Next week, sunrise will occur in the evening and the moon will dominate the Noon hour.  And they will still loooooove each other.

she has castrated him. he is becoming pussy-whipped.

the show has changed from the first season. and i am finding her more and more unlikeable.

As others have mentioned, lots of convenient aspects re: campers/campsite.  Didn't really bug me.  I'm watching to be entertained and so long as I am, I can usually forgive that stuff.  It moves the plot fwd without boring me with details.

Someone mentioned liking the dialogue - it seems better this year to me.  It was good last year, but not as tight?  I don't know, I'm just enjoying it more this year.  The bits of humor are perfect and needed to help diffuse the darkness.

Javier's lack of pop culture awareness is still one of my favorite things on this show :)  Also his poor lying skills.  While he was pissed at Letty for butting in with Bryce,  I think he was a bit in awe at her ability to lie and think on her feet. 

I still enjoy the push-pull btwn Javier/Letty re: their respective "jobs" but I agree, if it continues, it will get tiresome.  A few promos brought up a Bonnie/Clyde aspect - does that mean Letty goes along with it?  Their last scene made me wonder about that.  She seemed to become pragmatic awfully fast.  I'm totally on board with that...but Jacob.  Why won't this show let me enjoy criminal activity by two sexy characters in peace!

I didn't expect Jacob to just lay it all out there at the end and I was pleasantly surprised.  Apple's days may be numbered ;)

• Love 2

I also got a kick out of Javier's nieces. Trying really hard not to roll their eyes at the lady oldsplaining screensavers, being all over their family not talking about important stuff. But mostly, I liked them referring to Javier as "Uncle Hahv." For some reason, that little detail delighted me.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, vm2017 said:

Javier's lack of pop culture awareness is still one of my favorite things on this show :)  Also his poor lying skills.  While he was pissed at Letty for butting in with Bryce,  I think he was a bit in awe at her ability to lie and think on her feet. 

I still enjoy the push-pull btwn Javier/Letty re: their respective "jobs" but I agree, if it continues, it will get tiresome.  A few promos brought up a Bonnie/Clyde aspect - does that mean Letty goes along with it?  Their last scene made me wonder about that.  She seemed to become pragmatic awfully fast.  I'm totally on board with that...but Jacob.  Why won't this show let me enjoy criminal activity by two sexy characters in peace!

I loved when she called him out on the little Santino lie and he quickly crumbled and was like, "Okay, fine, it was June!" lol

And yes, Letty got over Bryce's murder rather quickly, didn't she?  Which I was totally good with, too.  She can be a very cold customer when she needs to be, and she's certainly not going to lose sleep over a dead rapist.  Literally, since she and Javier looked well rested in their tent.

39 minutes ago, attica said:

I also got a kick out of Javier's nieces. Trying really hard not to roll their eyes at the lady oldsplaining screensavers, being all over their family not talking about important stuff. But mostly, I liked them referring to Javier as "Uncle Hahv." For some reason, that little detail delighted me.

I really like the nieces and Ava.  I'm good if we don't see the rest of Javier's family again, but those three can definitely stay.  My favorite scene of the entire series is still Letty and the nieces rapping together to Run The Jewels.

5 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

I was rewatching again last night and couldn't help wondering if Letty's reaction after Bryce tried to rape her was because it had happened to her before.  When Javier told her Bryce had raped someone, she said that was the worst crime anyone could commit.  Plus she made some comment last season that also made me think she'd gone through something like that, but I can't remember now what it was, beyond her saying Sean had physically abused her.  And her utter devastation when she got back to the campsite seemed like more than just her being upset about knowing she'd left Javier alone to kill someone.

Also, nice to see Jacob playing soccer with the other kids since he had such a good instructor last season!

My memory's a little fuzzy, but Sean's involved in porn, right? Or he used to be? I feel like I remember an implication that he either forced Letty into porn or she engaged in porn willingly but he forced her to do things on camera that she didn't want to.

3 hours ago, msrachelj said:

what the hell? plenty of people rent their homes and their kids go to public school!! not everyone owns their own home. 

They're renting the house through Airbnb, they don't have an official lease. An Airbnb is not a permanent residence.

16 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

My memory's a little fuzzy, but Sean's involved in porn, right? Or he used to be? I feel like I remember an implication that he either forced Letty into porn or she engaged in porn willingly but he forced her to do things on camera that she didn't want to.

Yes, he definitely used to be involved in porn.  I want to say it was directing, or that he claimed it was just directing, but I can't remember for sure.  I just remember thinking that the porn along with the physical abuse left room for us to infer that she could have been involved.

• Love 1
On 10/23/2017 at 10:49 AM, helenamonster said:

This is the first time the dialog has bothered me. It just went too far into the minutia and repetition for me.

So how did this episode actually end? The "72 Hour Rewind" function on TNT cut off abruptly during a scene with Letty and Carin saying goodbye at the campsite, no credits or anything. I'm not even sure their conversation was done.

• Love 1

@NeenerNeener Carin tells Letty she's going back to her husband, then we see Letty and Javier having breakfast, watching the Bryce-less group of guys packing up their stuff.  Letty says something like, "Well, at least Jacob will get to go to school now..."  Then as Letty, Javier and Jacob are getting in the car to leave, Jacob tells Javier, "Apple saw you in the woods."  Credits.

My DirecTV cut off too, before the car scene happened.  Next time, I'll remember to add a few extra minutes to the DVR just in case.

Edited by TaraS1
  • Love 4

I just watched the "Inside the Episode" clip on TNT's Youtube channel and Chad, the creator, said the goal of this episode was basically to get Letty & Javier realizing that being on the run with their kid might not be such a good idea.  So I'm curious to see what that means going forward.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

I just watched the "Inside the Episode" clip on TNT's Youtube channel and Chad, the creator, said the goal of this episode was basically to get Letty & Javier realizing that being on the run with their kid might not be such a good idea.  So I'm curious to see what that means going forward.

I don't think they are going to kill off Apple so I am interested to see how the show handles this.  Last season when I thought there was no way out, they (the writers? Chad?) always managed to come up with something I did not expect.  Knowing that they are aware that going on the run with Jacob isn't their end game gives me confidence that there is a plan in place.  Some shows make me think they are making it up as they go.  Not so with this one.

• Love 1

Javier at least seems to pick the worst for his job. It was more than just rape, it was taunting after the fact as well.  

As much as both keep telling the other to stop their job, neither are doing very well.  

So now both Jacob and Apple are suspicious of Javier.

i will not be surprised to find out that Ava’s ex is involved in either the hits on Javier or Silks murder, or both.

• Love 3
On October 25, 2017 at 8:14 AM, TaraS1 said:

My DirecTV cut off too, before the car scene happened.  Next time, I'll remember to add a few extra minutes to the DVR just in case.

Thanks so much! I recorded the first airing and it cut out when Javier got up from the table. Bad Directv!

• Love 1

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Hee.

Carin on molly was pretty funny.

I liked how Lettie was able to read Bryce so accurately. I'm a bit surprised Javier was that rattled. I'm sure the kids being there contributed, but he should be better at thinking on the fly.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Hee.

Not that they need or should to a Princess Bride remake, but if they did, they could do worse than casting JDB as Inigo.

• Love 3

I have zero problem with the rapist dying, but that being the killing that’s the ethical dilemma (Letty trying to stop it, Apple seeing Javier acting shady) does create interesting drama.

This show walks the fine line between dark comedy and drama. It doesn’t always hit exactly right, but I liked the conversation on the bed and bickering about the time. I think it lays out a contrast between mundane life and high stakes criminal life. I also like Letty/Javier trying to work out their lives around Jacob.

Michelle Dockery really is great in this. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 10/24/2017 at 11:04 AM, attica said:

I also got a kick out of Javier's nieces. 

Me too. I love how they are so often (always?) framed in a two shot looking straight at them, one on the left side of the frame, one on the right. Reinforces our sense of their rapport with each other, the feeling that they are a matched set, a single character.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1