Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Was She Ever Good at Her Job?

I loved the focus on Michaela and Annalise's relationship. Anna wasn't wrong about Michaela's particular issue either.

Asher does indeed have a cute butt.

Laurel and Frank are SO gross.

I'm also over Laurel treating Michaela as a servant. Do your own dirty work girl!

Nate either needs to accept Annalise, as is, or move on completely.

I like independent Bonnie. Too bad it's not real.

Oliver and Connor are toxic.

No Simon this week. Thankfully.

Lauren Velez is still gorgeous. So is Amirah Vann.

• Love 16

Why did Connor's dad say all that stuff to him about Oliver?  Did he mean that he thinks Oliver is too "normal" for Connor?  Not sure why, if he is trying to mend the father-son relationship, he would start talking BS about Oliver.

I just want to find out WTH happened in the elevator at Annalise's and also at the law firm.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Dee said:

I loved the focus on Michaela and Annalise's relationship. Anna wasn't wrong about Michaela's particular issue either.

I'm also over Laurel treating Michaela as a servant. Do your own dirty work girl!

Pretty much sums up my thoughts overall (I like Oliver and Connor, but yeah, they've got some major stuff to deal with, to put it mildly).

I'm intrigued by Bonnie using a fake name to meet up with Issac. And Issac's little monologue towards the end of the episode as he was analyzing everything with Annalise seemed to reveal some interesting stuff related to him as well. 

• Love 6

You know, I have to say that the image of two white guys sitting across four very powerful black women was strong. I couldn't help but smile at that. One of the reasons I like this show, that's for sure.

I did love the Michaela/Annalise case. I've always loved more Michaela in general, and Annalise definitely has her pegged down to an extent. 

I'm trying to figure out what's up with Isaac. So, he gets her to keep practicing law, but his recordings seem to recognize that she's still very troubled, is relying too much on work, and that she might slip back into drinking if she fails. Which is true, but then he goes on about her being his trigger? What does that even mean?

Also, why is Bonnie seeing Isaac now under a false name? What does that accomplish? Is she spying on Annalise? 

Nate needs to give it up with Annalise. I really don't understand why he's still on the show. I mean, all he does nowadays is bitch about Annalise to the first person he sees! At least with everyone else, they have their own separate storylines. Nate's literally pretty useless outside of anything to do with Annalise. Even with his scenes with Laurel, it was still about Annalise.

Connor's dad was very confusing. I mean, he basically spoke for me when he talked about Connor needing someone that wasn't Oliver in his life (because yes, Jeff, these two are not compatible) but...what was his purpose? He surely didn't come back JUST to bitch about Connor's boyfriend. Also, I was getting very creeped out by Jeff consistently talking about being jealous of his son and admiring him even as a kid. I mean, it's kind of endearing but I don't think you ever want to hear your parent admit that you're more put together than they are and that they want to be more like you. 

So, Oliver's at Caplan and Gold, there's blood outside Tegan's office, and...now there's two different events going on in the flash forwards at once? I figure they'll connect somehow, but I'm more confused than ever. I mean, from the looks of it, it seems like someone was shot in the head or the chest in order to cause that kind of blood spatter. So, what, is it Simon or Tegan? I doubt it's Tegan, but I don't see why anyone would care about Simon's death (the audience, I mean). It does seem to guarantee Connor's safety, but where is Connor? And Asher too, for that matter? Them, Nate, and Frank are, yet again, the missing people in the mystery aspect. They did the same thing with all the guys last season. I'm guessing we'll see one of them in next week's mystery. I bet one of them is with Annalise. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
Crossed out Frank's name because we do know where he is in the flashforward
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also, I was getting very creeped out by Jeff consistently talking about being jealous of his son and admiring him even as a kid. 

YES. That was really weirding me out, too. Almost felt like he was intentionally laying it on super thick for some secretly not so good reason. 

• Love 10

Annalise really does just draw everyone into her orbit, doesn't she? Anyone who spends any amount of time with her ends up being "I will kill for you" ride or die, or "I will devote my life to your destruction" levels of hatred. Or both. At the same time. Or just become ridiculously obsessed with her. 

Oliver might mean well, but he has some serious boundary issues. It was clear that Connor was uncomfortable with his dad around, Oliver really had no right to meet up with his dads like that. I do like them together, but they have some really serious issues to work on. Honestly, if thats why Connors dad didn't want him to date Oliver, I would understand that. Why doesn't he want them together? He hates that Connor has some stability? I was getting weird vibe from him the whole night. Also, interesting that Connors mom had a nervous breakdown of some kind when he was a kid. Considering Connor has been on and off the edge of a breakdown since season one. 

Laurel needs to stop dragging Michaela into her little adventure. Wanting to get justice is understandable, but at least ask instead of just demanding that Michaela put her whole future in jeopardy. I will agree about Asher having a nice ass though. Dude has just gotten better as the series has gone on. 

If I was Annalise, I would be worried about Bonnie. The lady is hard core when she decides to hate somebody, or wants them gone. Those emails are a pain, arent they Anna? I did like continuing seeing her practice again, and I am excited if this means we get a weekly "Annalise kills it in her final court monologue" scene again. Or at least bi-weekly.  

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, Oliver's at Caplan and Gold, there's blood outside Tegan's office, and...now there's two different events going on in the flash forwards at once? I figure they'll connect somehow, but I'm more confused than ever. I mean, from the looks of it, it seems like someone was shot in the head or the chest in order to cause that kind of blood spatter. So, what, is it Simon or Tegan? I doubt it's Tegan, but I don't see why anyone would care about Simon's death (the audience, I mean). It does seem to guarantee Connor's safety, but where is Connor? And Asher too, for that matter? Them, Nate, and Frank are, yet again, the missing people in the mystery aspect. They did the same thing with all the guys last season. I'm guessing we'll see one of them in next week's mystery. I bet one of them is with Annalise. 

Why does this guarantee Connor's safety? I only saw Oliver...

I thought Frank was at the hospital with Laurel? It's so hard to keep track.

4 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Why does this guarantee Connor's safety? I only saw Oliver...

I thought Frank was at the hospital with Laurel? It's so hard to keep track.

Gah, sorry, I meant Connor's safety with that mystery because if Oliver was a witness to his own boyfriend's murder, he'd be more distraught instead of anxious.

I also don't know why I forgot about Frank. Maybe it was because he only showed up in the last half for two scenes. 

1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I like Oliver and Connor, but yeah, they've got some major stuff to deal with, to put it mildly

I like Oliver and Connor too, mainly because of the actors, but they never seem to deal with their issues.

Their usual coping mechanisms always seems to be severe avoidance or random sex. Neither of which is particularly healthy.

Plus they still seem to be clinging to their idealized versions of themselves, and each other.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 6

I like Connor, but the storyline with his dad is thoroughly boring.  I don't care what the dad's issue, or how gay the husband is, or that his dad sees himself in Connor or something, whatever.  Just get out of town.  

I wish Oliver wasn't so whiny and spineless.  Last week he betrayed Annalise by hacking her cell phone for Nate and Bonnie.  This week he hacks for Michaela.  He used to do things for a good reason and purpose (and money), now he just seems to do them to prove his worth and to try to please people.  I know the character won't go anywhere, the show needs him because he's always the deus ex machina that swoops in and conveniently solves the problems by hacking someone.

Michaela continues to rock.  I continue to not care about either Laurel or Bonnie.  Fairly little Asher tonight, which was odd.

I'm hoping it's Simon that killed himself at C&G after not getting a full time offer.  He's not particularly well liked and he's a minor character.  But so was Rebecca.  And the show thankfully killed her.

• Love 3

The episode was just so-so for me. Not near as good as I thought last week was. I did enjoy the women working together on the case, but other than that it just seemed really disjointed. 

I have to be honest, what grabbed me was the previews for next week. I have no idea where we talk about that, I'm not putting anything here, but WHAT IN THE HELL?! 

• Love 2

When Nate saw Anna taking thx box of cases, what did he say to her? He offered to help her carry it out? And then when she just stared at him he said something else. I tried 4 times to hear it or read his lips but neither I nor the captions could figure out what he said.

I hate how expensive anything court-related is. $2/page for transcripts basically means things being public record is a joke. I'm glad they are showcasing this, though. One thing the show has consistently done is expose how BS out entire justice system is.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Blue Plastic said:

Why did Connor's dad say all that stuff to him about Oliver?  Did he mean that he thinks Oliver is too "normal" for Connor?  Not sure why, if he is trying to mend the father-son relationship, he would start talking BS about Oliver.

I just want to find out WTH happened in the elevator at Annalise's and also at the law firm.

I'm interested. I like Coliver and I think they are endgame, but even though they have been together for over a year, they've only been completely honest for a few months. So it would be nice to see Connor questioning the relationship now that it isn't a life line away from the high-jinx of the K5. So it would be nice to see them explore this hurdle.  When his dad said he was hiding,, I thoguht back to Michela's words at his dinner-venton last week. I also agree that Connor's dad was a little too "I admire/look up to you".  I also gasped out loud when Connor balled up the tuition check and threw it at him. Wasn't it like $30+k? It's not like Connor has a job. BTW did Connor shave to look more like the actor who plays his dad?

11 hours ago, possibilities said:

When Nate saw Anna taking thx box of cases, what did he say to her? He offered to help her carry it out? And then when she just stared at him he said something else. I tried 4 times to hear it or read his lips but neither I nor the captions could figure out what he said.

I hate how expensive anything court-related is. $2/page for transcripts basically means things being public record is a joke. I'm glad they are showcasing this, though. One thing the show has consistently done is expose how BS out entire justice system is.

"What are you up to now?" Is this a cash grab? You need the press? Cause don't tell me you're about to take on the whole system."

AK -" I'm not doing this for me."

Nate - "Then who you doing it for?"

AK- "Wes, the clients, everyone who's been wrongfully accused."

Nate- "That's hilarious coming from the person who put my ass in jail" (they argue about him being set up for Sam's murder)

..... AK "I'm doing this for the right reasons" Basically Nate is suspect as to why AK is building a class action case and AK is trying to justify why she's doing this.. Nate still has this weird attitude towards AK This is mixed in with Isaac dictating notes about how he's worried about AK doing this to overcompensate as penance. 

I love seeing Micheala shine. Pete Nowalk said the scene where she runs through the firm  with the info about Hargrove's husband was inspired by the Joan Cusack scene in Broadcast News.  Nevertheless AK was right that Micheala isn't look for a mentor as much as she's looking for a mommy figure she can look up to.  I think that's art of her anger towards AK. It's a fine line but I can easily see Micheala blurring the line between admiration and her needs  not being met in childhood. I think Brett Butler's brief appearance was so we had someone to compare and contrast why she is drawn to these strong, powerful WOC. I LOVED that scene of 4 WOC sitting in that conference room. I'd pay good money to watch the law-firm of Keating & Price

Laurel is still nutso but a little more functional.  I'm not sure what to think of her dogged pursuit against her father based on the flimsiest of information. Sure we the viewer know  her father had Wes killed, but  Laurel really doesn't have concrete or even circumstantial evidence . HATED the scene between her and Frank. I think it was inserted to be a red herring and make us question the baby's paternity. However that scene in the car came across as a little rape-y.  As for getting Oliver to hack the file at Caplan & Gold, why not have Micheala try and get Oliver a job in the IT department instead? Also Bonnie just let Jorge know that Laurel is lying about her pregnancy. Denver is in cahoots with Laurel's dad and Bonnie just told him that Laurel is pregnant after Laurel told her dad she had an abortion. 

Asher bless his baby step taking self is at least continuing to look for an internship. At least he's a good house husband. {{shrug}}

So all we know is that Frank, Oliver, Bonnie, Laurel and Isaac are still alive and whatever goes on happens between AK hotel room and Caplan & Gold. I'll speculate in the speculation thread.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 7

Annalise, Michaela, Teagan, and Soraya bossing that negotiation was EVERY. THING. 

Frank and Laurel still bore me. Not here for their rekindling, and I hope Bonnie flays them but good when she finds out.

Asher seems adrift. They need to integrate him better into the story.

So, there's a blood trail at Caplan & Gold, too. WTF? Mid-season finale is going to be something.

Loved seeing Benito Martinez again, but Denver is still trash.

• Love 6

I can't stand Oliver or Conner.  His dad is right.  Leave this guy.  They either annoy or bore me.  I have no interest in them.  Olivier's IT skills are needed, but, I don't care for him.

Can someone help me with this?  They showed Annalise reading a glowing report from Isaac.  Then they show him dictating one of concern.  Was the good one older and this new one will not be so good? Was the good one a fake one that someone else made or manipulated?  I must have missed how they fit together.  

Michaela is not one of my favorites, but, lately, I'm liking her.  She was right when she asked Annalise to put aside petty crap, for the the best interest of the client.  But, Annalise has to respond in a nasty, childish way.  Annalise really went down in my book.  What a hypocrite.  So, she's a champion of justice and citizen's rights....no....I don't buy it.  I hate to see it, because, normally, she's my favorite character. 

And as painful as it is.  Isaac is right about his assessment of her.  Except for one thing.  Litigation attorneys MUST work VERY long hours, evenings, weekends, holidays, etc.  It's the nature of that profession.  When the case requires it, you do it.  THAT is why older litigation attorneys often start assigning the load to associates or those who are on their way up.  It's very intense and time consuming.  I'm not sure if he knows that when an attorney is preparing a case.....it's intense and you often do little else.  You may even forget to eat most of the day.  This is common when litigating. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

I really, really really wish Michaela would just tell Laurel to kick rocks.  Laurel just gets worse each episode.  What is up with her?

I am so in love with Tegan that I will be so bummed if she is dead.   Boss Bitch indeed.

Connor's dads had a weird vibe for me.  Felt not parental enough, I guess.  Felt a little bit a little too buddy-like.  Instead of Connor and Oliver being their son and his boyfriend, they were just younger gay male buddies.

I dunno about Analise thinking that Michaela is looking for mother figures.  It could be true.  But it could be just as true that Michaela is looking for strong black female role models to emulate  because she never had that in her life.  WOC are often thirsty to see other WOC in positions of power and authority mainly because it is rarely shown and it is incredibly aspirational.   Doesn't necessarily need to be a mother figure, just a powerful symbol of representation.

I do however think it was very much a case of it takes one to know one considering Ana's own relationship with Wes and what he represented to her. 

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Connor's dads had a weird vibe for me.  Felt not parental enough, I guess.  Felt a little bit a little too buddy-like.  Instead of Connor and Oliver being their son and his boyfriend, they were just younger gay male buddies.

Exactly my thoughts. When Connor's dad was giving his toast, didn't he say he was proud to call Connor "his teacher" instead of "his son"? Because if so, that makes sense as to why they're distant. What kid wants to be their father's teacher? 

The more I think about Connor's dad this episode, the more creeped out I get. Oliver seems oblivious to why Connor has daddy issues and is even pushing to spend more time with him and his husband, while all Connor seems to want to do is push his dad and his husband back into the direction they came from. 

Also, I just remembered that Connor's dad is said to be a lawyer, so what if he's the one with the blood spatter on the wall of Tegan's office in the flashforward? 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

I am so in love with Tegan that I will be so bummed if she is dead.   Boss Bitch indeed.

YES! I have been in love with her from day one. She's everything you would want to show to little girls everywhere: THIS is why you work hard and don't settle for just anything or anyone. This Boss Bitch right here. Screw Olivia Pope.

Plus she's fly as HELL.

Edited by LaJefaza
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Can someone help me with this?  They showed Annalise reading a glowing report from Isaac.  Then they show him dictating one of concern.  Was the good one older and this new one will not be so good? Was the good one a fake one that someone else made or manipulated?  I must have missed how they fit together. 

One was his monthly report summary to the Law board. He CC'd her on it that how she got it. The other are his dictation notes following a session. Think of it this way, as a caseworker I did quarterly summaries to the court on cases where the kids were adjudicated to the courts. However, I made a progress note after each contact with the child or family. My notes to the courts included any mandated therapy that either the parents/child were required to attend. But it just focused on did they attend/yes/no.  My progress notes would likely be more clinical and go into details regarding issues unearthed during therapy. They were both truthful reports. The one to the board answers the questions/concerns they have while still being truthful, the second one is more clinical. The differences between the 2 is the expected viewing audience.

1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

I dunno about Analise thinking that Michaela is looking for mother figures.  It could be true.  But it could be just as true that Michaela is looking for strong black female role models to emulate  because she never had that in her life.  WOC are often thirsty to see other WOC in positions of power and authority mainly because it is rarely shown and it is incredibly aspirational.   Doesn't necessarily need to be a mother figure, just a powerful symbol of representation. I do however think it was very much a case of it takes one to know one considering Ana's own relationship with Wes and what he represented to her. 

I think Micheala should and could have that, but AK's point is she goes further than that. It becomes like a weird cross between idolization and seeking maternal approval. At least AK finally admitted to herself that she was overly invested in Wes and viewed him like her son. I don't think Micheala is at a point where she sees that yet.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Milaxx said:

One was his monthly report summary to the Law board. He CC'd her on it that how she got it. The other are his dictation notes following a session. Think of it this way, as a caseworker I did quarterly summaries to the court on cases where the kids were adjudicated to the courts. However, I made a progress note after each contact with the child or family. My notes to the courts included any mandated therapy that either the parents/child were required to attend. But it just focused on did they attend/yes/no.  My progress notes would likely be more clinical and go into details regarding issues unearthed during therapy. They were both truthful reports. The one to the board answers the questions/concerns they have while still being truthful, the second one is more clinical. The differences between the 2 is the expected viewing audience.

I think Micheala should and could have that, but AK's point is she goes further than that. It becomes like a weird cross between idolization and seeking maternal approval. At least AK finally admitted to herself that she was overly invested in Wes and viewed him like her son. I don't think Micheala is at a point where she sees that yet.

Thanks for that clarification.  IT makes sense.  

And so why does Annalise feel the need to verbally assault Michaela about wanting, needing or searching for a mother figure?  Is that a horrible thing?  Why is it grounds to berate someone?  To me, that belief may be reasonable or even justified, but, it would likely cause me to feel empathy, compassion and understanding, not hostility and disdain.  I don't get it. 

I think that was just payback for all the attitude Micheala was giving AK during the entire case. Then once the  case was over and Anna was on her way out the door when Micheala ran to confront her warning her not to take up Tegan's offer to help her get a job at Caplan & Gold.  You know how it goes, "don't start none won't be none." Mcheala earned that clapback.

• Love 5

The teamup of Annalise, Michaela, Hargrove, and Tegan was everything. Only two episodes with her and I'm really loving Tegan, so I was devastated to see blood spatter at Caplan and Gold in the flashforward and am really hoping it's not her.

The mix-up Annalise made with the email was certainly unfortunate, but I can't blame her. Not only is she making a concentrated effort to maintain her sobriety for the first time in who knows how long, but what she does is extremely difficult, time-consuming work and she has literally nobody to help her. She can't afford to pay anyone and no longer has access to interns since she's not a professor anymore. I know she doesn't want to, but if she called for Bonnie she'd come running back in a hot second. Looks like we might be getting a little bit more into their past next week?

As soon as Laurel said she was off antidepressants and uncontrollably horny, I knew she and Frank were gonna fuck. Ugh. Can't that please be over? I never liked them together. Also, I feel like this "is the baby mine???" has come out of absolutely nowhere. One of the things that convinced me that the baby was unquestionably Wes's was not only that Laurel didn't even consider Frank as a possibility, Frank didn't consider himself a possibility. It's not like Laurel would be able to pass the baby off as whichever guy she preferred once he's born (or whatever happens in the flashforward). We'll know when we see him, assuming we do.

• Love 4

The only nagging thing about the Annaiise Teagan double team is if Teagan is so badass, why was she encouraging Soroya into such a bad deal? The husband was getting sole custody & 6 mil just t stay quiet until AK came on board and shook things up. I know the point was to make her look good again, but that really made no sense. Why not have Anna just come along and sweeten the deal by finding out about the financial planner guy?

ITA With @helenamonster regarding Frank/Laurel. Also if Frank is the daddy then the kid needs to be check for fetal alcohol syndrome.  The who's the daddy thing just feels like a giant red herring.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Many years ago, I went to hear John Bradshaw speak and he used a term I'd never heard of (this was in the late 80's), emotional incest, the parent treating the child like a peer.  He said there needs to be a generation gap between parent and child.  That's the problem I had with Connor and his father; he dad wasn't acting like a father and to me, that's not good for Connor, he has enough friends.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Dee said:

So is Asher's entire arc going to be him making meta commentary about being a 'house husband?' Because that's gonna get old fast.

It's horrible and they've yet to show a scene between Masher that's just about them and their relationship. That beast mode shit was a reaction to Anna. Yep, Nowwalk has got Shonda's stinky stench of short changing couples and characters they don't really give a shit about down to a science. He really did learn a lot from Shondaland University (insert sarcasm.)

Now I definitely believe that Mickey is talking about the baby in the flash forward. But I think she believes he's dead because of whoever got killed at Caplan & Gold. I believe that blood on her clothes is from trying to save whoever got shot there, then she's in such a state of shock she also then thinks if the baby isn't there he must be dead too.

Anna was actually trying to mentor Mickey when she warned her that she was back to that same pattern of looking for a mother figure in these professional mentors she seeks out because yes, she did not have a loving mother, family in general. Peter Nowalk isn't original, Mickey is the Cristina Yang of the group,she has the same obsession with looking for and attaching herself to these mentors in an unhealthy way.

She's got to stop that and truly admire how awesome she is to have achieved what she has achieved after being left like garbage in an abandoned shack when she was a baby only to be given to a pack of wolves that she had to then fight her way out of. That's why for me, I have the same amount of respect for her as I do Anna. She's been a damn grown up since she was a child. It's her adoptive mother who acts like the child and decides to fake an illness to get money from her kid. Mickey is the one student of Anna's that's had to truly only rely on herself, no middle class to rich parent paying her bills, guiding nor supporting her in any way. So this shit where she needs to look up and respect Anna or any other adult like she's wet behind the ears like the rest of them who really don't know shit about what it truly means to be on your own...well I beg to differ.  She's as equal to Anna and Bonnie when it comes to being a woman truly on her own. Even more so than Anna because Anna has a loving mother. Anna's mother killed for her. Her sister loves her and she finally got an apology from that father of hers. Nope, I admire Mickey a lot more . I'm still impressed by Anna but...

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Milaxx said:

"What are you up to now?" Is this a cash grab? You need the press? Cause don't tell me you're about to take on the whole system."

AK -" I'm not doing this for me."

Nate - "Then who you doing it for?"

AK- "Wes, the clients, everyone who's been wrongfully accused."

Nate- "That's hilarious coming from the person who put my ass in jail" (they argue about him being set up for Sam's murder)

..... AK "I'm doing this for the right reasons"

Thank you for taking the time to write this out for me!!

I love the class action, I think any decent person would want to help it, not tear it down. Nate has reasons to be bitter toward Annalise, but he seemed to be able to get past it and was supportive last season, so him now being against her strikes me as weird timing. I get keeping a distance, but the degree of anger and desire to sabotage seems out of character.

Bonnie using a fake name with Isaac must mean she's paying out of pocket. I can't tell if she's doing it because she's just an obsessive stalker, or if there's a way she plans to use it for sabotage. Maybe both.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Milaxx said:

I'm interested. I like Coliver and I think they are endgame,

I, OTOH, am not interested.  I've ceased to find anything likable or rootable about Connor and Oliver and think that they need to split up for good.  Or at least long enough to deal with their issues.  (And yes.  They do have issues, whether anyone wants to see it or not.)

Whoever was killed, it was definitely a man.  Michaela mentioned a "he" last week, so it has to be a guy close to the group, or one who's about to meet them in the near future.

13 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Loved seeing Benito Martinez again, but Denver is still trash.

What I didn't like was that while it was mentioned that helped cover up Wes's death, where was the mention of him kidnapping Connor?  He did do that, too!

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Star Aristille said:

Whoever was killed, it was definitely a man.  Michaela mentioned a "he" last week, so it has to be a guy close to the group, or one who's about to meet them in the near future.

Not necessarily a man. Could be Laurel's baby boy. Also doesn't have to be close to the group. Could even be someone like Simon. I could see Michaela reacting badly even if it was someone like Simon who was killed.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

The more I think about Connor's dad this episode, the more creeped out I get. Oliver seems oblivious to why Connor has daddy issues and is even pushing to spend more time with him and his husband, while all Connor seems to want to do is push his dad and his husband back into the direction they came from. 

Connor doesn't like his father because when he came out it caused his mother to have a nervous breakdown but Oliver seems to be more rational in his thinking that it was harder for people to come out back then and his father made a mistake that makes sense in the context of history. That's when Connor counters Oliver's usual sense of reason with a "that's" why he didn't tell him so it sort of hit the nail on the head there. Connor knows it doesn't make sense that he's still angry. He just doesn't want to hear it. Connor also mentions not liking his father's partner but the show goes through great lengths to show us that yes, this too, is irrational. 

That anger seems to have caused the distance between them and I believe the fact that Connor's anger doesn't make sense is why Oliver goes off to meet him. I don't think he should have but I get it. Connor never told his boyfriend that his father was gay. These two have been keeping secrets from each other for a while so this is just another one on the pile. He has to "investigate" Connor's claims because he just, rightfully, doesn't buy it. 

Connor's dad doesn't want the law school money back. Connor isn't creeped out by his dad's "admiration" of him. Connor isn't creeped out by his "friendly"/"buddy like" nature. Connor says by the end of the episode he isn't even mad at him anymore. He just wanted him gone because after all these years and they're just not close.  His father calling him out on the idea of him not being with Oliver because he's not being himself was clearly overstepping but I don't believe it was incorrect. It did seem like by the end of the episode Conor realized that maybe his father was onto something. 

He was a very different person before he was with Oliver and while I want the two of them to be end game -- I just always felt like they got together way too quickly. Connor/Oliver have always played a game where one is dishonest with the other and the other eventually figures it out. His father believes that is very similar to the way he treated Connor's mother.

Connor and Oliver are very different people but I don't think either is ready for the kind of relationship they're in until they can both consistently be honest with each other. 

12 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I dunno about Analise thinking that Michaela is looking for mother figures.  It could be true.  But it could be just as true that Michaela is looking for strong black female role models to emulate  because she never had that in her life. 

While I like this idea, Michaela's expression after Annalise delivered that punch said quite a lot. She was shook. She couldn't even get out a response in time to tell Annalise she was wrong because she really had to think about it first meaning there is a chance she wasn't and that's exactly what she was doing. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, helenamonster said:

As soon as Laurel said she was off antidepressants and uncontrollably horny, I knew she and Frank were gonna fuck. Ugh. Can't that please be over? I never liked them together. Also, I feel like this "is the baby mine???" has come out of absolutely nowhere. One of the things that convinced me that the baby was unquestionably Wes's was not only that Laurel didn't even consider Frank as a possibility, Frank didn't consider himself a possibility. It's not like Laurel would be able to pass the baby off as whichever guy she preferred once he's born (or whatever happens in the flashforward). We'll know when we see him, assuming we do.

The only thing I wondered about was the night Frank stayed over at Laurel's place last season. When he came back into town and Annalise said if he came to her house she'd kill him, so Laurel basically manipulated him into staying with her to keep him from going over there. The next morning Bonnie showed up and we saw him getting dressed in Laurel's bedroom. The whole thing was pretty ambiguous, but I didn't get the impression anything happened between them. She didn't tell Wes that he stayed until later and it pissed Wes off. Anyway, I wondered if that is what they are gonna bring back up and say they slept together then. Which, if that was the case, she would have literally slept with both guys in like a 24hr period and it's anyone's guess who the baby's Father is. She and Wes were only together for 3 weeks, so it's not like she'd have a lot of wiggle room to decipher that mystery. You'd think it would have come up before now, but maybe she just assumed it was Wes' baby since they were obviously together more. 

WHO KNOWS. 

All I know is it's trashy and most likely put in the promo to get people to tune in. I can't see them rewriting that whole thing this far in. I'm guessing by Frank asking that SOMETHING happened while she was with Wes (or why would he even ask that?! If he was asking based on the last time they were together before their breakup, she would've already had the baby!), but I think she'll shut him down real quick. If anything, I think it'll be something to piss her off. 

Also, in the FF, Frank doesn't look like a concerned Father. He looks concerned about her, but he doesn't strike me as a guy that doesn't know what happened to his son. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Many years ago, I went to hear John Bradshaw speak and he used a term I'd never heard of (this was in the late 80's), emotional incest, the parent treating the child like a peer.  He said there needs to be a generation gap between parent and child.  That's the problem I had with Connor and his father; he dad wasn't acting like a father and to me, that's not good for Connor, he has enough friends.

You know the more I watch, the more Connor's dad bugs me. I think whether he wants to admit it or not he *likes* Connor when he's less responsible. I think he's living vicariously through Connor. It took Connor coming out for him to come out. He refers to Connor as his greatest teacher. His response to being notified by the bursar's office that Connor dropped out was wondering if Connor was involved in circuit parties or meth.  Who the hell wishes that for their kid? He liked Connor being wild and reckless because he wishes he had spent his youth like that. At some point most of us grow up and settle down. It's normal. Unfortunately for Jeff he never got to be a gay 20 something. He did the marry and have children life and regrets spending his 20's in the closet not living his life. But Cnnor had the wild sexually free years.  I don't think he and Oliver are perfect, but I think Connor deserves a little bit of credit for not jumping the gun and marrying Oliver right away. He knows they aren't ready. I think the Connor who was still lying to Oliver might have jumped at the chance to marry Oliver.  

Speaking of the other couple. I want to circle back to Asher and his anger issues.  Micheala can't micromanage them forever. I want Asher to independently find or create another internship. I like that we see baby steps from him and I do like that he's trying. I also like that he speaks to the softer side of Micheala and isn't afraid to express feelings. I just want to feel like he's her equal. 

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Not necessarily a man. Could be Laurel's baby boy. Also doesn't have to be close to the group. Could even be someone like Simon. I could see Michaela reacting badly even if it was someone like Simon who was killed.

I think she is referring to  Laurel's baby, but she is saying that with the knowledge that someone has already died at her job and that is the blood on her dress. I bet it is Teagan and that blood on her dress is from her trying to save her life. I believe when she asks is he dead? She wants to know if the baby died TOO, in addition to whoever was killed at her job, as she says that every dies around us or something to that effect.  

This would explain why I find it weird that if she was with Laurel and did help deliver he baby, why is she showing up when she does? Why isn't she there right along with Frank running down the hall with the Dr. telling him that she's up? It's because she wasn't there she's coming from whatever the hell happened at her job. She has absolutely no blood stains on her hands, her manicure is in tact so those bloody hand prints are not hers in that elevator. She looks like she's in shock and just wandered into that hospital and finds herself looking in the nursery. I don't buy her washing blood off her hands that well if at all in her state. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

I think she is referring to  Laurel's baby, but she is saying that with the knowledge that someone has already died at her job and that is the blood on her dress. I bet it is Teagan and that blood on her dress is from her trying to save her life. I believe when she asks is he dead? She wants to know if the baby died TOO, in addition to whoever was killed at her job, as she says that every dies around us or something to that effect.   

That makes a lot of sense! Someone mentioned it before, I believe, about the two situations not being related. To me, that seems more and more plausible. I don't know what is going on with Laurel or where the baby is, but I'm not thinking Laurel was involved in whatever went on at Caplan & Gold. Of course, I'm usually 100% wrong when I speculate. 

• Love 2

Another good episode. Loved Annalise, Michaela and Tegan working together to help Hargrove. Tegan in general is a great character, so I'm hoping for more of her as we go on in the series.

Annalise had a point about Michaela this week but at the same time, Michaela is also showing that she's able to do things without being mentored as well.

Connor's storyline with his dads was interesting enough but are we really going to get another break up plot with him and Oliver?

So Bonnie and Oliver were at Caplan and Gold during the fatal flashforward then. Bonnie seeing Isaac under a different name is creepy along with his own obsession with Annalise to an extent.

Could've done without the Laurel/Frank sex scene and Asher continues to be wasted this season but still liking this season though, 8/10

• Love 2

So I see that Oliver, Connor and Nate continue to be boring, should have killed one of them and kept Wes alive. There's nothing that interests me about coliver or Connor's dad,  I can't believe that conner was one of my favourite characters in the first season.

Best part of this episode was these four kickass women working their magic. I would totally watch a show that is just the four of them with Frank and bonnie doing illegal stuff for them and Asher being the comic relief.

Yeah, I'm not going to waste my time speculating what's going to happen, I was wrong the past three seasons, I'm just along for the ride.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

She's been a damn grown up since she was a child. It's her adoptive mother who acts like the child and decides to fake an illness to get money from her kid. Mickey is the one student of Anna's that's had to truly only rely on herself, no middle class to rich parent paying her bills, guiding nor supporting her in any way. So this shit where she needs to look up and respect Anna or any other adult like she's wet behind the ears like the rest of them who really don't know shit about what it truly means to be on your own...well I beg to differ.  She's as equal to Anna and Bonnie when it comes to being a woman truly on her own. Even more so than Anna because Anna has a loving mother. Anna's mother killed for her. Her sister loves her and she finally got an apology from that father of hers. Nope, I admire Mickey a lot more . I'm still impressed by Anna but...

I respectfully disagree with this.  From what I've seen, when a person grows up too fast, they miss going through things that children go through.  Michaela seems grown up on the outside, but there is still a child who never had a mother, and that child is still inside of her.  Annalise could see that.  

When I think about it, I think all of the Keating 5, now 4 were/are looking for a family (including Bonnie and Frank for that matter).  We know what happened to Wes's mother, we know about Michaela's mother, Conner isn't very close to his father, Laurel hates her father, and Asher, though moneyed, seemed to have had a conditional relationship with his family; his mother dropped all communication with him, I can't see a healthy mother  doing that to a child she gave birth to.  

I also think that Annalise was/is looking for a family.  She lost her own son, she saw her son in Wes and when he was murdered, that devastated her.  I think that's the reason she let her students go, for fear she'd destroy all of them.  That's the reason many of them hate her, "how could mom just abandon us!"  I mean Bonnie acts like an angry daughter and a jealous lover at the same time; Frank will never leave her because he's doing a lifetime of penance for Annalise, even if she doesn't want him to.  

So I agree with Annalise when she said that to Michaela, but only because Annalise herself, like all of them, is looking for family.

• Love 11

Why would Laurel be at Annalise's apartment building, though? Everyone is assuming that the blood in that scene is related to the flash forward of Laurel at the hospital asking about the baby, but why would she be there? I can imagine Oliver being a witness to something and being brought to the law firm (or going there) after, because when you witness stuff, lawyers getting involved is not unlikely. Also, he could have gotten a job there doing IT stuff, and then witnessed something happening there. So Oliver being at C&G makes sense. But Laurel has zero reason to be at Anna's place, as far as anything we've been shown so far.

While I like this idea, Michaela's expression after Annalise delivered that punch said quite a lot. She was shook. She couldn't even get out a response in time to tell Annalise she was wrong because she really had to think about it first meaning there is a chance she wasn't and that's exactly what she was doing.

Yeah, it was a look IMO that said, she never even thought about it that way. She never even thought that her mommy issues had anything to do with seeking out these strong, female mentors.  Her expression was one of being stunned, more bewildered, and then pensive about what Anna had just said to her. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 4
On 10/19/2017 at 11:11 PM, Dee said:

I love your entire post.  I for one am tired of Laurel and Connor “friendships” with Michaela centering on their using her and treating her like crap, but hey, it’s okay because they’re her “friends.

I still can’t believe that the more I see of Asher and Michaela, the more they become my OTP for this show.  I hope those crazy kids make it and are still standing strong as a couple when the show ends.

I have long felt that Nate worked as Annalise’s sex toy, but as a viable, independent character, he leaves much to be desired.  Maybe he is okay with some of the younger actors, but his limitations are glaring when he is with voters of actual caliber.

This episode solidified that Oliver is truly awful.  He is a self-serving manipulator who masks his dirt under the bruise of “doing what is best for Connor.”  I actually and actively disliked him more than I disliked Connor and Connor has long been the character on this show I couldn’t care less about if I tried.

I hate Laurel and Frank version whatever version this is.  I never found them appealing as a couple and their scenes in this episode were disgusting.

I wonder what about Annalise is Jimmy Smits’ character’s weakness.

I love Lauren Velez so much.  I hope they find a way to incorporate her character into the show some more.

• Love 3
On 10/20/2017 at 4:26 PM, Milaxx said:

ITA With @helenamonster regarding Frank/Laurel. Also if Frank is the daddy then the kid needs to be check for fetal alcohol syndrome.  The who's the daddy thing just feels like a giant red herring.

20 hours ago, apn85 said:

The only thing I wondered about was the night Frank stayed over at Laurel's place last season. When he came back into town and Annalise said if he came to her house she'd kill him, so Laurel basically manipulated him into staying with her to keep him from going over there. The next morning Bonnie showed up and we saw him getting dressed in Laurel's bedroom. The whole thing was pretty ambiguous, but I didn't get the impression anything happened between them. She didn't tell Wes that he stayed until later and it pissed Wes off. Anyway, I wondered if that is what they are gonna bring back up and say they slept together then. Which, if that was the case, she would have literally slept with both guys in like a 24hr period and it's anyone's guess who the baby's Father is. She and Wes were only together for 3 weeks, so it's not like she'd have a lot of wiggle room to decipher that mystery. You'd think it would have come up before now, but maybe she just assumed it was Wes' baby since they were obviously together more. 

WHO KNOWS. 

All I know is it's trashy and most likely put in the promo to get people to tune in. I can't see them rewriting that whole thing this far in. I'm guessing by Frank asking that SOMETHING happened while she was with Wes (or why would he even ask that?! If he was asking based on the last time they were together before their breakup, she would've already had the baby!), but I think she'll shut him down real quick. If anything, I think it'll be something to piss her off. 

Also, in the FF, Frank doesn't look like a concerned Father. He looks concerned about her, but he doesn't strike me as a guy that doesn't know what happened to his son. 

The more I think about it, the more I think the promo is a red herring. It's a typical promo that takes something out of context to make it sound juicy and tantalizing, but then in context it's rather innocuous. My guess is that Frank and Laurel have some sort of conversation regarding the status of their relationship and Frank wonders if they get back together, would that make him the baby's father. Not biologically, but emotionally. The only thing that makes this prediction not work is that Frank and Bonnie have a thing now, I guess? I don't really know what's going on with those two. They live together and they have slept together, but they've always had more of a brother/sister vibe to me and I don't think the show is making it very clear whether or not they're still romantic.

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

Why would Laurel be at Annalise's apartment building, though? Everyone is assuming that the blood in that scene is related to the flash forward of Laurel at the hospital asking about the baby, but why would she be there? I can imagine Oliver being a witness to something and being brought to the law firm (or going there) after, because when you witness stuff, lawyers getting involved is not unlikely. Also, he could have gotten a job there doing IT stuff, and then witnessed something happening there. So Oliver being at C&G makes sense. But Laurel has zero reason to be at Anna's place, as far as anything we've been shown so far.

There's still a few episodes--and a month and a half of in-show time--to go before we catch up with the flashforward, so a number of unguessable things could lead Laurel to Annalise's apartment.

Oliver is probably at C&G because it was hinted at that Laurel and Michaela are going to get him to help them get into the Atares files without leaving a trace on Michaela's account.

• Love 3
On 10/20/2017 at 4:59 PM, Dee said:

So is Asher's entire arc going to be him making meta commentary about being a 'house husband?' Because that's gonna get old fast.

He is still a full time law student.  House husband is a joke Imho. OK, he doesn't have an internship yet but he is hardly a house husband.  They always want to portray him as a slacker.

I love your entire post.  I for one am tired of Laurel and Connor “friendships” with Michaela centering on their using her and treating her like crap, but hey, it’s okay because they’re her “friends.

Exactly, why are they NEVER written for any extended period of time to be facilitating her with anything that's important and personal in her life? My question is rhetorical, I already know the answer and I'm sticking to it until main stream Hollywood proves me wrong. I won't hold my breath, it will take many more Ava Duvernay types for this to happen.

Speaking of holding my breath, one shouldn't hold their breath for this either:

I still can’t believe that the more I see of Asher and Michaela, the more they become my OTP for this show.  I hope those crazy kids make it and are still standing strong as a couple when the show ends.

Not on this show, please. Nowalk is going on in interviews for this season about how the couple is suppose to be happy and living together, yet we've seen like what? One damn scene with them in that apt. and it was wasted IMO all on beast mode which was in reaction to Anna. No matter how cute it was it was slim pickings when it comes to real adult shit that I like to see my tv couples engaged in. We have Connor and Oliver having adult convos. about their future and the rest of the one on one couple time will be given to Frank and Laurel, again, don't hold your breath.

Edited by Keepitmoving
1 hour ago, helenamonster said:

The more I think about it, the more I think the promo is a red herring. It's a typical promo that takes something out of context to make it sound juicy and tantalizing, but then in context it's rather innocuous. My guess is that Frank and Laurel have some sort of conversation regarding the status of their relationship and Frank wonders if they get back together, would that make him the baby's father. Not biologically, but emotionally. The only thing that makes this prediction not work is that Frank and Bonnie have a thing now, I guess? I don't really know what's going on with those two. They live together and they have slept together, but they've always had more of a brother/sister vibe to me and I don't think the show is making it very clear whether or not they're still romantic.

I just don't know. 

I don't think they are getting back together in that way for him to even say that. I could see them hooking up, and having an arrangement of that sort,  but I just can't imagine Laurel wanting to be in a relationship now. She's too focused on the whole Wes thing and still way too damaged, but of course, that's JMO. She acts like she doesn't even want the baby, so the whole thing blows my mind. I do agree that it's probably taken out of context, but I just don't know why or how. To make people wonder enough to tune in next week, most likely. 

As for Bonnie/Frank - they confuse me. I don't get the impression they are together. In the first episode when Bonnie said she was going out that night (to meet Annalise & the kids at the restaurant) he asked her if she had a hot date. Then he went to bat for Laurel when she asked him to help her get that Internship. He's also lied to Bonnie a couple times about Laurel when she's asked for his help. The first time when he was hanging outside Laurel's place I guess watching out for her, who knows. The second time last week when Bonnie called him complaining about Laurel just leaving work. He knows how Bonnie feels about Laurel and I have a feeling he probably even knows why, but he's still choosing Laurel over Bonnie while staying at her house. I do think if they actually have an arrangement and Bonnie finds out about it, the shit will hit the fan. And honestly, why shouldn't it? I wouldn't let him stay with me while he was off screwing another woman. Laurel probably just needs to clear him a place, cause if I were Bonnie he could go stay with her. 

Edited by apn85
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, helenamonster said:
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

We've now seen 2 crimes scenes; AK's hotel room and the offices at Caplan & Gold where Oliver is a witnesses to whatever happened. Since we meet Laurel in a hospital/medical facility of some sort, we don't know where she was found. There is blood in both places. my guess is whatever Oliver witnessed occurred at C & G

On 10/21/2017 at 1:37 PM, Neurochick said:

I respectfully disagree with this.  From what I've seen, when a person grows up too fast, they miss going through things that children go through.  Michaela seems grown up on the outside, but there is still a child who never had a mother, and that child is still inside of her.  Annalise could see that.  

When I think about it, I think all of the Keating 5, now 4 were/are looking for a family (including Bonnie and Frank for that matter).  We know what happened to Wes's mother, we know about Michaela's mother, Conner isn't very close to his father, Laurel hates her father, and Asher, though moneyed, seemed to have had a conditional relationship with his family; his mother dropped all communication with him, I can't see a healthy mother  doing that to a child she gave birth to.  

I also think that Annalise was/is looking for a family.  She lost her own son, she saw her son in Wes and when he was murdered, that devastated her.  I think that's the reason she let her students go, for fear she'd destroy all of them.  That's the reason many of them hate her, "how could mom just abandon us!"  I mean Bonnie acts like an angry daughter and a jealous lover at the same time; Frank will never leave her because he's doing a lifetime of penance for Annalise, even if she doesn't want him to.  

So I agree with Annalise when she said that to Michaela, but only because Annalise herself, like all of them, is looking for family.

Yes and No. Michaela has been grown up for a very long time, but just because life forces you into a role doesn't mean you don't certain stages. So yes Michaela does need opportunities to be a child. but she has had to grown up pretty fast  unless she would end u like the rest of her adoptive family. This comes thru in her choices of mentors. AK was right she does seek the mommy figure she wanted in her choice of mentors. The other piece of that missing childhood is why Asher is actually good for Micheal in certain ways. He allows her to be goofy. This is a good thing for a type A personality like Micheala. I've actually known couples like Micheala & Asher. She was super type A and he could be a little silly, even immature IMO. I couldn't imagine what she saw in him but they somehow balanced each other out, and when the important stuff came up, he stepped up. So I have some hope for Masher, I just don't know if this show can show the nuances of a relationship like that.

On 10/21/2017 at 9:31 PM, Kira53 said:

He is still a full time law student.  House husband is a joke Imho. OK, he doesn't have an internship yet but he is hardly a house husband.  They always want to portray him as a slacker.

TBH - He is/was a slacker. He pretty much had everything handed to him. He even clerked for a judge arranged by his dad prior to season. It's why Asher wasn't with the others when they killed Sam. Law students/Med students and the like pretty much are on a hamster wheel throughout. They go to school, have internships and clerk during the summers off. The poor ones also hold down part time jobs in between all of that. His dad's fall from grace prior to killing himself cut off a lot of connections for Asher. Being one of the K4 his bases were covered as far as internship is concerned. If he wants to be employed as a lawyer post graduation he needs to have an internship. Full time law student ain't gonna cut it 

Like I said, I've seen Asher make baby steps this season, but I still think he needs to show a little more maturity. If they want to give him a storyarc this season revisiting his anger issues would be a good place to start. 

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 4