Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: Pressing the Flesh

The President hosts a State dinner for the President of Bashran, in a first step toward peace in the Middle East and in case Mellie's charm alone doesn't work, Olivia put Jake to work on a backup plan. QPA attends in hope of attracting upscale clients.

Line of the night goes to Huck.

Abby, "Neither are you or Charlie."

Huck, "Yeah because we are a couple of killers."

I think I'll watch just for Huck's one liners.  It's a good thing Huck is still on top of his game.

So are Mellie and Cyrus getting new boyfriends?

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I have to be honest, I had completely forgotten Fitz existed before that final scene. I thought the elevator was going to open on her father. Or maybe Jake.

I was expecting it to be the 'assassin' reporting for further orders, and I'm still not convinced he wasn't on her payroll. If politeness and blackmail both failed, next plan was to give him a solid reason to be grateful to the US. It would explain why he didn't simply shoot as soon as he was alone with his target.

(I wish I could forget that Fitz exists. I wish even harder that the show would.)

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Emma9 said:

I was expecting it to be the 'assassin' reporting for further orders, and I'm still not convinced he wasn't on her payroll. If politeness and blackmail both failed, next plan was to give him a solid reason to be grateful to the US. It would explain why he didn't simply shoot as soon as he was alone with his target.

(I wish I could forget that Fitz exists. I wish even harder that the show would.)

Oh, the assassin working for Olivia would have been a good twist. Olivia is so awful these days it wouldn't surprise me. But I bet Olivia would have known how someone wears their medals.

I was surprised that Olivia actually told Mellie about the president's niece and the attempted blackmail.

Is it me or was that really boring?  First episode had the explosion of Liv's ego and this one really felt like filler.  Was Fitz showing up at the end supposed to be exciting?  Who is really looking forward to Fitz and Liv again?  Anyone?  Them being together again is almost as bad as Jake and Liv.

Man, was Mellie about to jump that president?  They definitely had a moment, but they both thought better of it.  Mellie needs to do what other female politicians do about their sex lives.  Figure they hook up, but are WAY more discreet.  Don't really, if ever, hear about female politician sexcapades.  She's the president.  She should be able to pull it off.  Liv should be able to help out since Mellie confides in her.

Edited by PsychoDrone

I wish Liv would have paid the real price of her blackmail. I was glad when President of Bashran/Iran told her she's a snake and she is a meddling professional extortionist (that is what her envelopes are, Ms. White Hat) 

Mellie is sad. And pathetic. Seriously, Bellamy Young does her best, but seriously, Mellie is the President and she really needs to stop caring so much about her vagina, and run the country. 

• Love 13

I don't care about Fitz.  I don't care about Liv and Fitz.  Huck sitting on the floor of the Whitehouse with his cell phone is way more interesting.

Huck to Abby, "Here you want one?"  Offering to give her yet another cell phone he managed to sneak in.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Scootman said:

Why didn't Liv just offer to go out and buy Mellie a damned vibrator?

That's all I've got.

I really did think that's where that particular plot was going. Liv is the person who can actually do this for Mellie. She can order it online and bring it into the White House without being questioned. Help a girl out, Liv.

I like the President of Bashran but I do hate a trope used here and other places in the media. When a show wants to signal that a Muslim is a "good guy" they always have him be willing to break a rule like being willing to drink or eat pork or something. It suggests that you can't be devout and moderate at the same time and I don't like it. He could have had that moment with Mellie without needing to drink.

I get that Huck was really there to stop the assassination plot but really, why on earth would you bring Huck to network? Do you really need him? Abby as David's date and Quinn and Charlie would have been more than enough. You'd think Huck would do more harm than good.

If Liv had gone to a hotel with her reporter hookup like she had every other time, would Fitz just have stood outside her door all night long?

• Love 7
7 hours ago, dungeonwriter said:

but seriously, Mellie is the President and she really needs to stop caring so much about her vagina, and run the country

Agreed. The country just had eight years of Fitz caring more about his penis and we know how well that worked!

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 10

Mellie is the President and she really needs to stop caring so much about her vagina, and run the country. 

That was 6 minutes of my life I'll never get back.  Totally stupid and TMI.  And then Olivia's braying laugh was scary.  Isn't there a kind of snake that "laughs" before it kills you?? (or some other animal--sorry I didn't sleep well last night)

How gorgeous was Abby and her dress!!! And David can't even get a girl to hold his hand.  Attorney General of the US and still a schmoe.

I would rather watch an entire new Fall series of Huck and his wounded eyes going to all kinds of events--State Dinner, child's birthday party with bounce house, bat mitzvah--and the comments and "hilarity" that would ensue.

DEAR MOD:  Why does the SCANDAL thread no longer appear on the first alphabetical listing page, it appears with the old shows?  Can you fix it?? thanks

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Scootman said:

Why didn't Liv just offer to go out and buy Mellie a damned vibrator?

That's all I've got.

I was like " ... There are ways to get vibrators. This is not an insurmountable problem, and if it is, give yourself a fucking hand." Also, Fitz was fucking a lot once he got divorced. There are ways.

I fell the fuck out when Cyrus yelled "BOOB!" at the guy from Breaking Bad.

President Rashad was cute as hell. He could get it. He was giving Mellie the eye, and she knew it. I liked how he called Olivia on her shit. I need more of that!

• Love 4

Yeah, I was feeling President Rashad.  A lot.

I didn't like Olivia's state dinner dress.  It looked too "old" for her, but that's the complaint I've had about many of her outfits.

I do not care about Mellie's vagina.  Please, show, let's not have that discussion ever again.  Ever.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

That was 6 minutes of my life I'll never get back.  Totally stupid and TMI.  And then Olivia's braying laugh was scary.

That scene was on of the worst Scandal scenes ever (which is saying a lot). I had a physical reaction when Mellie started in on her "lady parts." And Liv's laugh was so fake I thought she was literally faking the laugh because she was going to then tell Mellie how ridiculous she was. But no, just bad writing/acting/directing all round.

• Love 9

If Liv had gone to a hotel with her reporter hookup like she had every other time, would Fitz just have stood outside her door all night long?

THIS!!!  Fitz AND his Secret Service dudes ... just standing there. 

Midnight rolls around. Nobody's said a word for an hour ... 1 a.m. ...Secret Service man #1: "Uh, sir? ..." Fitz ignores him; re-arranges his jacket collar and adjusts his slouchy pose. 1:30 ... 2:00 ...

• Love 6
3 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

I don't care about Fitz.  I don't care about Liv and Fitz.  Huck sitting on the floor of the Whitehouse with his cell phone is way more interesting.

2 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

I would rather watch an entire new Fall series of Huck and his wounded eyes going to all kinds of events--State Dinner, child's birthday party with bounce house, bat mitzvah--and the comments and "hilarity" that would ensue.

Bounce house! Also a bris, pre-school graduation, ballet recital and middle school orchestra concert. And in each setting, given an occasion for the line about other suspect guests -- "Yeah: because we're a couple of killers."  

On Scandal, this is what a redemption arc looks like. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Kathcart said:

THIS!!!  Fitz AND his Secret Service dudes ... just standing there. 

Midnight rolls around. Nobody's said a word for an hour ... 1 a.m. ...Secret Service man #1: "Uh, sir? ..." Fitz ignores him; re-arranges his jacket collar and adjusts his slouchy pose. 1:30 ... 2:00 ...

I don't understand the Fitz/Liv angst/drama whatever the hell it's supposed to be.  If they are so much in love, why don't they just get together?  If it's going to be some lame excuse of we have to keep it secret cause - insert whatever, then they aren't really in love.  It's more like they love the idea of the tragedy of their forbidden love.  {Major sarcasm intended}

• Love 4
15 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

Huck to Abby, "Here you want one?"  Offering to give her yet another cell phone he managed to sneak in.

Hucks line about the cell phone made me cackle. 

The episode was a bit slow, but I enjoyed it. I really like Quinn, Charlie, and Huck as slightly off kilter fixers over cray cray killers. Olivia's new man snack is nice to look at. At least he's got that going for him. 

Mellies scene about wanting to get laid went on for too long, though I did get a chuckle over the vibrator bit. Olivia, help your girl out! If you can turn FDR's pool into a B16 evil labarotry you can at least get a Babeland representative in the White House to hook Mellie up. 

• Love 1
On 10/13/2017 at 8:57 AM, vibeology said:

I like the President of Bashran but I do hate a trope used here and other places in the media. When a show wants to signal that a Muslim is a "good guy" they always have him be willing to break a rule like being willing to drink or eat pork or something. It suggests that you can't be devout and moderate at the same time and I don't like it. He could have had that moment with Mellie without needing to drink.

Word. My Muslim best friend is progressive and a great guy, (works on peace meetings between Israelis and Palestinians, supports LGBT rights, is a feminist) doesn't drink and prays 5 times a day and doesn't do bacon. 

I think the scene might have gone better had he shared a cup of tea with her. It's just as intimate and in fact, would have been a lot steamier "no pun intended" since he'd be making the tea for her, hands touch and such. 

This show could have ended with Mellie as president, with David staying as Attorney General, Abby running a successful company (former Chief of Staffs can rake it in), the rest finding lives and Olivia just running the world. 

This season feels tacked on. 

• Love 6

I really wish that for the final season Shondaland had sprung for the rights to some different music. The same songs they've been using all these years seem stale and forced now to me. The singer at state dinner was a nice touch though.

Abby's dress for the state dinner was fabulous. Maybe a tad immodest for the occasion though.

Didn't really need to hear Mellie complain about not being able to have sex in White House. Not after she was screwing the former VP right in the WH, and not to the woman who screwed her ex-husband in the Oval Office--among other places. But that conversation did highlight how unlikely it would be for an unmarried woman to be elected president. Much less likely than an unmarried man, which would still be all but impossible given how puritanical this country still is towards women.

I thought the former WH pool was now the press room? Not in Scandalworld, apparently.

"Is that baclava?"

Cash money Mellie us going to get primaried by that Glackland guy because of the way Cyrus spoke to him. Wonder if the show is going to do a flash-forward before it ends?

DEAR MOD:  Why does the SCANDAL thread no longer appear on the first alphabetical listing page, it appears with the old shows?  Can you fix it?? thanks

I asked about this once in reference to another show and the vague answer I got is that the algorithm they use considers how active the forum is. I've noticed another show follow go on and off that first page depending on how hot and heavy the posters are feeling about the show at the moment. The Scandal posts have dropped off significantly since the first couple of seasons that may be why the show no longer shows up on the top forum listing.

On 10/13/2017 at 9:47 PM, TigerLynx said:

I don't understand the Fitz/Liv angst/drama whatever the hell it's supposed to be.  If they are so much in love, why don't they just get together?  If it's going to be some lame excuse of we have to keep it secret cause - insert whatever, then they aren't really in love.  It's more like they love the idea of the tragedy of their forbidden love.  {Major sarcasm intended}

They aren't in love. Or at least, Olivia isn't in love with him.  They had a chance to be together and she walked away. Several chances, actually. But Olivia wants to be running the world. And normally I would say it's nice to see a woman that doesn't see finding love as a top priority, but they had to make her actual path to get where she is so awful. 

• Love 5
21 hours ago, dungeonwriter said:

This season feels tacked on. 

It really does.  I don't understand what they are all bitching about either.

After one of the most ridiculous elections in history Mellie is president and Cyrus is vice president.  Abby and Olivia have switched places so the "people knew who Olivia was, but don't know the people who are now running Olivia's company" is just dumb.  Jake is setting up his spy/torture gig again (oh yeah, except not).  There are several killers running around the White House regularly.  Cyrus an openly gay man who got married adopted a child and cheated on his husband is still valid in politics and can get laid, but none of these people can figure out a way for Mellie to get some?  Really?  What happened to the Olivia's mother rigged the election so Olivia's dad can't leave Washington D.C. nonsense?  Did they realize how stupid that SL was so they decided to replace it with a dozen other dumb SLs.

11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

They aren't in love. Or at least, Olivia isn't in love with him.  They had a chance to be together and she walked away. Several chances, actually. But Olivia wants to be running the world. And normally I would say it's nice to see a woman that doesn't see finding love as a top priority, but they had to make her actual path to get where she is so awful. 

I don't have a problem with the path Olivia took because most of the rest of these people are horrible to.  It's the fact that the idiot writers won't own the behavior that is annoying.  If Olivia is really the devil, than let her go all out with everyone else going along in order to make Mellie's presidency and themselves a relevant part of history.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

It really does.  I don't understand what they are all bitching about either.

After one of the most ridiculous elections in history Mellie is president and Cyrus is vice president.  Abby and Olivia have switched places so the "people knew who Olivia was, but don't know the people who are now running Olivia's company" is just dumb. 

About not knowing who they are, Abby was White House Press Secretary, and the the Chief of Staff. People in DC should know who she is.

I don't have a problem with the path Olivia took because most of the rest of these people are horrible to.  It's the fact that the idiot writers won't own the behavior that is annoying.  If Olivia is really the devil, than let her go all out with everyone else going along in order to make Mellie's presidency and themselves a relevant part of history.

Just to be clear, I hate everyone just as much as I hate Olivia.

If they end this season with Mellie accomplishing something great because of all the horrible stuff that was done to get her there, I may be somewhat satisfied with the show ending.

• Love 1
On 10/13/2017 at 0:22 PM, Moxie Cat said:

That scene was on of the worst Scandal scenes ever (which is saying a lot). I had a physical reaction when Mellie started in on her "lady parts." And Liv's laugh was so fake I thought she was literally faking the laugh because she was going to then tell Mellie how ridiculous she was. But no, just bad writing/acting/directing all round.

That scene was horrifying to watch. It was just so terrible. My whole body was cringing. Mellie, in times of crisis, use your fucking fingers. 

Can someone bring the president of Bashran back? He is hot and calls Liv on her shit. 

Fitz was looking damn good in that leather jacket. Liv should've invited him in for a threesome along with Jay. It would've been no more ludicrous than any of the other plot lines on this show.

I need Abby's dress. Huck cracked me up.

Edited by PepSinger