Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Make Way For...Medusa

Well, this one was a little less shambolic, but I still expect early cancellation.   I hope max goes thru whatsa-genesis; it would be interesting to see how badly it goes sideways. 

• Love 2

This has hit so bad it's good territory for me.  Who signed off on having Medusa be the main focus of an episode, kidnapping an innocent woman and forcing her to help commit further crimes, mocking that woman's dead father and their dreams of reaching the moon, stealing the laptop and just stomping around a dock apparently planning on walking to where here husband might be, yet not noticing the dot was in the middle of the island nowhere near the ocean?  Medusa is the worst - mean and stupid.  Maximus has apparently just gone batshit crazy now - how did he hold himself together long enough to even plan a coup?  And how does he have all these Earth contacts?  Does the scientist who picked up Black Bolt and his prison buddy really just have phone contact with "Max" and not wonder who this guy is obsessed with inhumans and the definitely not mutations possibilities that jumps straight to kill these super powerful new guy you found?  And Gorgon is just wandering around the woods with his new family he met a couple days ago - is part of his powers a weird protective streak?  Karnak at least has the excuse of recovering from a head injury to explain why he's just hanging around the drug growers instead of going back to his mission to find his king - his whole setup feels like it was some scraps from Hawaii 5-0's cutting room.  Yet, despite sitting there going "this show is awful" to myself I had enough amusement to stick around.  I enjoyed the stupidity of the bickering vet tech and her ex-boyfriend, another moment that felt like it belonged in a completely different show.  At least Black Bolt and Medusa are back together, hopefully they'll pick up at least one or two more family members next episode, though maybe some of my tolerance for this show is that it jumps around between plotlines so much I can't get too bored.

• Love 10

This show...this show. It's managed to kill my verbosity. 

Medusa and Crystal are still entitled and awful. These cows appear to speak English, but are entirely unfamiliar with the words "please" and "thank you." The irony of this is that these bitches grew up lower caste, had their parents murdered by their in laws, and learned the valuable lesson to be just as awful as the Royal Family. Huh?

Gorgon hangs with some dudes for 2 or 3 days and they're like family, but Maximus, who is actual family, is treated like dirt.

At least Black Bolt managed to not be a colossal jerk.

Louise is a complete masochist. No one even if they wanted to go to the moon would voluntarily hang with Medusa let alone chase after her. Additionally, Louise will never be Felicity Smoak.

Maximus has just decided to let the veneer of larger social reform and decency drop. How is the genetic council so important when they didn't seem to have a single power?

As for Maximus' Earth based agents, this is why I thought we needed a flashback of Maximus and Black Bolt's parents in contact with Jiaying and Afterlife to show that there were existing connections to people on Earth.

Get it Karnak.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 12

This show is only eight episodes, right?  Because despite the short length, there still feels like there is a whole lot of silly filler going on around here.  Gorgon is still traipsing around with his surfer bros, who are apparently already just as important to him as his actual family (hey, Gorgon?  Maybe if you treated Max even half that well back in the day, he wouldn't be going all "mad" on  your asses.)  Karnak's just living it up as a weed grower and even getting hot and heavy with the drug lady (who I just figured out is Jaime Gray Hyder, who I remember as a werewolf on True Blood), while dude that hates him just killed other dude for some reason. Is any of this actually going to factor in?  Because right now, it feels like it is just killing time.

Meanwhile, Medusa and Louise have now teamed up, which is perfect since Medusa is vain, arrogant, and a snotty asshole, but Louise is obnoxious, whiny, and stupid (really, use the same card you purchased a car that the cops are looking for the pay for your hotel room and you don't think they'll connect the dots?), so they're pretty much a match made in heaven.  Of course they end up bonding over daddy issues, so it's all good!

Show is now ramping up Max's evilness by having him sick guards on the Genetic Council and beat the shit out of them, but at this point, I can't really muster up the effort to hate him.

At least Lockjaw is better, even if Crystal had be an asshole about it.  Of course, the guy will probably still end up falling for her.  That said, I think the actress playing Angela was totally the same one who played Norrie on Under the Dome, which is hilarious.  Now that was one hell of an entertaining bad show right there!

So, Dr. Declan/Henry Ian Cusick is working with Max, but it sounds like doesn't exactly know everything that is going on?  What is his deal?

Auran and her band of Inhumans continue to really suck at their job.  In particular, Mordis really doesn't seem like that big of a threat.

Somehow Black Bolt became the best part of the show.  Maybe because I've grown to enjoy Anson Mount's facial acting compared to everyone else.  At least he gets to avoid all the bad dialogue! 

Oh, Inhumans, you stupid but hilarious show!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 12

Medusa is just an awful Inhuman being on this show, and, apparently, so is kid sis! At least in the comics Crystal was kind of cool as first introduced, but maybe that's because the first human she met was hot in a different way than the first human she meets in this version? AND there is absolutely no consistency in what people from the moon get and what they don't get about Earth. (Have they explained how they are on the moon, because it clearly cannot be the way they got there in the comics?)

And, just to nitpick, why the assumption that the rings Medusa and BB are wearing are WEDDING rings, or even that Inhumans would HAVE monogamy and/or wedding bands? I know they DO, but that's because they were created in the Silver Age, where anything else would never have been published. But Louise noted BB's ring from a NEWSCAST?? And the vet (what a wonderful coincidence that the male model who ran into Crystal and Lockjaw just happened to have broken up with a vet!) notices nothing unusual enough to stick around and/or to call in the HUGE CGI pooch, other than maybe it was crossbred? With what? An elephant?

This show.

• Love 7

I think I'm out after this episode. Not even for Anson Mount am I willingness to deal with the sheer awfulness that is Medusa. What a complete and utter bitch she is. Her other superpower appears to be weapons-grade entitlement, a trait she seems to share with Crystal. I sort of liked Louise at first but no amount of scientific curiosity would compel me to spend a moment with Medusa. When Medusa leaned out to shoot at the patrol car, a woman with any brains at all would have stomped the brakes and sent the selfish cow out the window. Serinda Swan was so great on BreakOut Kings. The writing for the women is just dire.

I paid little attention to the Gorgon storyline or the pot one, both of which I find boring and pointless.  Iwan Rheon is playing a variant of his Game of Thrones character and I'm finding it very distracting. If I were current on GoT maybe it wouldn't be an issue but I'm a full season behind so his previous role is still fresh in my mind. Mortis still looks ridiculous.

This is less disappointing than Agents of SHIELD because I knew next to nothing about the Inhumans and it was mainly curiosity that drew me to the show, but I still wish I liked it better. Thor Ragnorak better be really good, Marvel, because you're denting my faith here.

• Love 3

Was I supposed to be upset that Max had the Genetic Council beaten and exiled? (And, by exiled I assume tossed out onto the airless surface of the moon? I mean, where else were they going to go?) Because it's kind of hard for me to get worked up about a pack of bureaucrats who condemn people to slavery if they're genetically "inferior".

I don't even know what to say about the rest. Queen Hair and Cut-Rate Felicity were an unbelievably unlikable pair, and everybody else's storylines were too stupid and nonsensical to comment on. I haven't seen a show this bad since the 70s.

• Love 10

I liked the humor in this episode. "You're such a princess!" was great.

Everyone is impressed by the giant dog but I'm more impressed by those giant buds those youngsters are growing. I'm under the impression that they haven't been in the dope growing game for very long so that is an incredible result for amateurs.

Black Bolt had a great opportunity to splatter his opponents like he splattered his parents. Take the hostage sure but it would be worth your while to salsa the rest of them!

ETA: Game of Thrones dude is a much better villain when he's actually doing villain stuff instead of whining about how unfair his life has been.

Edited by dwmarch
  • Love 2

really,really trying to give this show a chance love the inhumans in the comics but this show so far is just a waste of time.no fx budget to speak of so they just throw in some gunfights and a storyline that really hasn't progressed much from episode 1.the thing that drives me crazy is how the show has reversed the basic inhuman story the royal family is portrayed as elitest slave owners and maximus the mad is shown in a sympathetic light.this show could have been so much more

• Love 3

Can't believe Black Bolt would leave behind his breakout buddy when he believes the scientists were planning on killing them. Medusa and Crystal should learn "Please" and "Thank You", it is not like they were born royals.

• Love 5

These people are royalty. Worse, they're royalty that seldom comes to Earth to interact with people. I bet there have been times where giant piles of crap show up out of nowhere. That's Crystal being too lazy to take Lockjaw on his walkies.

Why does Maximus ask anybody for anything. He's just gonna do when he does, not worrying about -- say -- undergoing Terragenesis again and having a certain body part become a sentient being.

I get the hate, but I'm getting Worst Hated Ever about the Inhumans and humans they encounter. Anybody else think of the blonde with glasses as "Fauxlicity"?

• Love 4

I can only assume that Medusa and Crystals parents would be horrified if they could see their daughters now. They died trying to fight the system, and now they've totally embraced it. What a couple of spoiled, self centered, entitled brats. And not very smart or compelling brats either. All they're scenes are crap, and the actresses arent doing much to elevate the material. But with characters this grating, can you really blame them? Medusa especially sucks, and Not Felicity is just an idiot. I did feel a bit bad for her being stuck with Medusa, who clearly gives zero fucks about anyone except herself and her family.

I still like Lockjaw at least. I want someone to pet him! He even makes Crystal a little bit better, but not that much. Like, back off lady, pretty sure its not this guys fault she appeared out of nowhere in front of his car. I guess its another culture clash thing, but they just arent really working. It just makes the characters look stupid. It reminded me a bit of an interview some of the writers of the first Thor movie said about writing Thor as an alien God out of water in modern New Mexico. They played it for laughs, but they said they wanted to make sure he figured things out pretty quickly, that he didn't come off like an idiot. These guys come off like total idiots. Its like a show was created about the jerky pre character development Thor. 

I still like Anson Mount as Black Bolt and his prison buddy, and his stuff is pretty decent, but we didn't get much of him this week, and I cant stay engaged with a show because of one character. And even though I like Black Bolt the most, he is still one of these royal assholes, so I am hoping we see some development from him soon. 

I guess because Max killed the council, we`re supposed to be like "oh my God so evil!" and while the guy is clearly crazy and murderous, its not good when you have to make your villain a maniac to make them a villain. When your villains main goal is so sympathetic you need to get him to start cackling and twirling a mustache, you know your dealing with some wonky morals. Plus, the council are a bunch of assholes who condemn people to miserable lives of slavery, so I aint exactly crying over them. Not that I approve of murder of violent coups, but they really need to make me give even a second of a crap about the royal family getting power back. No wonder the people seem so happy to see them gone for the most part. 

I did like a few of the funny scenes though, and Hawaii looks nice. Pretty much the only saving grace of Gorgon and his surfer bros was how nice it looked. Also, these guys are family now? After like two days? You know, dude, maybe if you treated Max (his actual family!) and the other Inhumans with less flashy powers like family, NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED! 

• Love 9

Halfway through this dud! Stan Lee owes all us hate-watchers No-Prizes for sticking with it this long.

I've been a fan of Serinda Swan for a long time, so I kind of can't entirely blame her for not even trying. Because she's so clearly thinking, "I got such good notices for Feud—how in the hell did I end up in this turkey?" That, or the most colorful ways to fire her agent.

• Love 3

I wish I could have sat in on the brainstorming session that led to the showrunners greenlighting the "Karnak becomes a pot farmer and learns the meaning of true love with a human" storyline. I'd love to see what other awful crap they tossed out before settling on this idea as their best one.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

I wish I could have sat in on the brainstorming session that led to the showrunners greenlighting the "Karnak becomes a pot farmer and learns the meaning of true love with a human" storyline. I'd love to see what other awful crap they tossed out before settling on this idea as their best one.

IF they find that Karnak's powers, which have been proven to be "off" on Earth, either because it's Earth and not the moon, or due to the circumstances of his arrival, can be fixed by smoking the weed they are growing, which is where I was hoping they were going in the second episode, I will forgive them much. If not, then they were clearly just high when they pitched.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, NorthstarATL said:

If not, then they were clearly just high when they pitched.

[Interior: ABC / Disney meeting room]

Exec1: "Pineapple Express" but with MUTANTS!!!

Exec2: Without Franco & Rogen...CGI already way over budget...

• Love 2
18 hours ago, paigow said:

Disney sucked it up to buy back the SpiderMan rights...can they do it for X-Men??? Get REAL mutants on TV....

There's no chance that Fox would ever sell the rights to the X-Men and mutants back to Disney. Those properties still make money. The X-Men movies have made $5 billion. The Gifted and Legion appear to be doing fine. Fox would be stupid to give up the rights. Disney would have to pay at least $10 billion before Fox would consider any offer. Sony decided to split the rights to SpiderMan because they had managed to ruin the property in a way that completely hurt its viability. It's probably a similar arrangement that Disney and Marvel have with Universal regarding the rights to the Hulk. I would expect a reversion of the Fantastic Four rights back to Marvel before the X-Men or mutants.

• Love 3

Add to all the other problems that Black Bolt can't dispose of his enemies.  He's willing try frying them to a crisp but doesn't finish off Mordus and Auran when he has a chance.  And by finish off, I mean chop her into pieces (or better, use Mordus to fry her to a crisp) so there's no way she heals.

For the other three, ask them why they wanted to kill him,  and spare or off them accordingly.

• Love 1
On 10/13/2017 at 10:57 PM, Lokiberry said:

Was I supposed to be upset that Max had the Genetic Council beaten and exiled? (And, by exiled I assume tossed out onto the airless surface of the moon? I mean, where else were they going to go?) Because it's kind of hard for me to get worked up about a pack of bureaucrats who condemn people to slavery if they're genetically "inferior".

I don't even know what to say about the rest. Queen Hair and Cut-Rate Felicity were an unbelievably unlikable pair, and everybody else's storylines were too stupid and nonsensical to comment on. I haven't seen a show this bad since the 70s.

Tossed out the door to the moon...

I saw a half interesting theory about this mostly infuriating show that theorized that exile was exile to Earth. For an Inhuman in Attilan, Earth would be viewed as the closest thing to hell. It would also explain why Maximus has this dissident network on Earth who are more than happy to help kill the Royal Family. It also explains how Jiaying was able to establish Afterlife and develop the techniques for training Inhumans. It sounded like a decent theory to me, which is why I don't expect it to pop up on the show.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I saw a half interesting theory about this mostly infuriating show that theorized that exile was exile to Earth. For an Inhuman in Attilan, Earth would be viewed as the closest thing to hell. It would also explain why Maximus has this dissident network on Earth who are more than happy to help kill the Royal Family. It also explains how Jiaying was able to establish Afterlife and develop the techniques for training Inhumans. It sounded like a decent theory to me, which is why I don't expect it to pop up on the show.

That is a great idea and it would be even more amazing if Medusa and Crystal met their exiled parents on Earth. But, I don't think they would exile Inhumans with "powers" to Earth, especially if the Inhumans went to the Moon to get away from Earthlings and their scrutiny.

• Love 3

Plot development I'd like to see: Medusa returns to AT-AT-Lan and gets rid of Max and restores the Genetic Council.

The Genetic Council immediately rules that Medusa no longer has useful powers without her hair and sends her to work in the Caves for the rest of her life.

• Love 3
On 10/15/2017 at 8:04 AM, NorthstarATL said:

IF they find that Karnak's powers, which have been proven to be "off" on Earth, either because it's Earth and not the moon, or due to the circumstances of his arrival, can be fixed by smoking the weed they are growing, which is where I was hoping they were going in the second episode, I will forgive them much. If not, then they were clearly just high when they pitched.

I thought his powers aren't working because he hit his head when he fell off that cliff. 

Not caring much for his storyline.  I don't care in the least for the tired trope that beautiful (arguable) local popular girl falls in love with the socially awkward new kid.  Question, her jealous buddy that was stalking her, who was that that he had killed and was going to bury?  Was it the other buddy?  Am I supposed to care?

If Locus (I think she's the other Asian woman in the Attilan search party that isn't Auran) is able to find anyone with her locator power, why is she so bad at it?  I get that it's a big island, but still.   

This episode was really light on powers.  I think all we saw was Crystal doing some kind of wind push on her new friend.  Oh and Man in the Iron Mask doing his Cyclops impression.   I liked seeing the powers last episode, with plant control lady, Gorgon, some guy in the search party that looked like he had electric powers but got killed, and wasp spitting guy.

On 10/13/2017 at 10:08 PM, thuganomics85 said:

So, Dr. Declan/Henry Ian Cusick is working with Max, but it sounds like doesn't exactly know everything that is going on?  What is his deal?

It looks like Declun has idealistic goals of researching Inhuman genetics for the purpose of benefiting humanity and Maximus hired him, intending to use the research to give himself powers.  My guess is that Declun figures it out, resists and gets killed by Maximus, who is able to gain Inhuman abilities.

7 hours ago, RobertDeSneero said:

It looks like Declun has idealistic goals of researching Inhuman genetics for the purpose of benefiting humanity and Maximus hired him, intending to use the research to give himself powers.  My guess is that Declun figures it out, resists and gets killed by Maximus, who is able to gain Inhuman abilities.

Only he went with Maximus' kill order as if he had done it before. If any thing his idealism came from Hydra.

Still playing catch up with Inhumans and The Gifted...

Oh, Inhumans... it is somewhat improving...

And now Crystal has a friend, potential love interest, so the Inhumans friendship is love fest is complete.  I don't know why but it bugs me that each Inhuman needed a sidekick/tagalong...

I'm finding Maximus and Attilan boring... the concept is interesting, but the execution, especially the visuals of Attilan is so... drab.

So... we have a crazy pot farmer... I'd say it isn't going to end well for Karnak's gal pal...

Gorgon's "family"... how long has he known those bro's... hours... a few days at the most...

Medusa and Louise need a buddy mystery solving spin-off right now... as entitled and awful as Medusa is as a character, she's becoming the highlight for me.

I can't help it, I love it, but it is awful...

Edited by CyberJawa1986
Attilan, it's Attilan... stupid autocorrect!