Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: Catch of the Day

Phil’s convinced he is going to have a day of bad luck after failing to successfully complete his daily superstition. However, Claire is eager to make it to a concert and has no time for his silly notion. Meanwhile, Mitch is certain that Cam is undermining him during their kitchen renovation, and Jay is determined to get Gloria to admit she was in a car accident.

I didn’t hate the episode & I’m usually not a killjoy but all I could think of when Clare & Phil made Haley sleep outside was how that is the way Paul Bernardo & Karla Homolka found one of their victims. Too much My Favorite Murder for me. 

On topic? Love Sofia’s bangs. 

• Love 5

I enjoyed this episode. I actually laughed out loud several times during the episode which hasn't happened in a long time. Joe pretending to drop a toy and whispering to Jay to save the icecream and check his mother's phone was the first moment that made me laugh. That kid is a good child actor. I still think that Manny should move back home. Loved his chat with Jay and how Jay brushed him off after he gave him advice about his mother. I also laughed when Jay called for Stella when he realized that Gloria had done something worse. 

Phil's story cracked me up because it was so ridiculous and Ty Burrell's physical comedy is so good. Hayley's story was a bit much. Honestly, I didn't get why she didn't just go and spend the night with her uncles or grandparents. They live a few blocks away. 

Cam and Mitch's story wasn't bad for them. I laughed when Mitch admitted that they needed couple counseling as he let himself be nailed in wall. I am neutral on the sister. She does change their dynamic which I think is good.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

I also laughed when Jay called for Stella when he realized that Gloria had done something worse. 

What was it that she did?  The DVR cut out on me!

My favorite bit was Haley switching back to "normal" when she got her new phone.  That was some fine acting/writing there. 

• Love 4

Ty Burrell does physical comedy so well.

I laughed because I do the same thing with my underwear,  but I don't have a superstition about it.

Boy, I really noticed Julie's face this week. I wish this need for all women to look 25 forever would just stop.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, jmonique said:

The last thing this show needed was Cam's sister.

Is she ever going to leave?

Agreed. She is one of those characters that is fine in small doses like Sal but her continued presence is too much. She added little to the story. On the shallow side, I thought Francisco/Fernando was hot.

No Luke and barely any Manny. Plus, Gloria seemed so subdued so I enjoyed this one. Also, I really like Joe. I think the kid is cute and funny.

And I didn't notice before, but Lily has really gotten tall.

• Love 6

The Phil story was pretty hilarious, especially at the golf course. Ty Burrell just commits so hard to whatever ridiculous things he does. 

The Cam and Mitch story was pretty good (especially when Mitch realized it was time to put couples therapy on the table when he allowed himself to get sealed into a wall) but I still dont know why Cams sister is still around. I like her in small doses and I like his connections with his old farm community, but her being around all the time is a real drag. 

• Love 3

The physical comedy of Julie Bowen and Ty Burrell is my favorite part of the show nowadays. Both actors are really good at it and it makes the ridiculousness of the writing easier to swallow. I also liked Mitch letting himself be drywalled and admitting they need couple's counseling, though the contractor not noticing he's in there was also ridiculous. I think when the show embraces its ridiculousness and just goes for it, it's better than when it tries to be serious and just comes off ridiculous. I also appreciated "I can't remember his name" and Cam having been calling him by the wrong name the whole time. And honestly, Cam did try to work with Mitch rather than against him for once. So maybe the writers finally got the message that having Mitch and Cam seem to hate each other was one of the worst things about the show and maybe finally they will write them in another direction.

How far had Haley gotten in that book when she said she was looking forward to finding out how they killed the mockingbird??? Apparently even phoneless Haley is still dim.

I think Cam's sister is there because they give her a break on the rent. I don't know why they are writing her so badly, though.

• Love 4

Best part for me was Claire leaving Phil (who at first looked fine) upstairs with the laundry, going downstairs, answering the door to Phil (who then looked beaten up), seeing him, and, in shock and utter confusion, turning to look back up the stairs while silently wondering how the hell he got down there so quickly.  It reminded me of that cartoon in SpongeBob Squarepants, when Squidward threw SpongeBob through the window into the Krusty Krab kitchen, then got shocked when he popped back up from behind the counter and started looking into the kitchen and beneath the counter to wonder how he'd gotten back there so quickly.

I don't mind Pam like many others do, though I am a bit thrown that her full first name is Pameron rather than Pamela.  How did that happen?

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

I don't mind Pam like many others do, though I am a bit thrown that her full first name is Pameron rather than Pamela.  How did that happen?

You've never been to Crickettsville, have you????  (That's the town Cam and sis look down on, but still...)

• Love 2
23 hours ago, jmonique said:

The last thing this show needed was Cam's sister.

Is she ever going to leave?

Agreed x 3.  She is okay in small doses but she needs to go back to Missouri.  Mitchell getting entombed in the drywall was a very funny!!  No Luke and was Alex even in the episode either?

• Love 2
On 2017-10-11 at 10:25 PM, jmcd44 said:

I didn’t hate the episode & I’m usually not a killjoy but all I could think of when Clare & Phil made Haley sleep outside was how that is the way Paul Bernardo & Karla Homolka found one of their victims. Too much My Favorite Murder for me. 

On topic? Love Sofia’s bangs. 

That’s exactly what I thought of, as well.  Such a horrible event.

I don’t know if it was the first time I’ve been really paying attention but they all looked so much older to me this week.  Probably because I was watching a couple of old reruns.  

I thought Haley was really funny, especially as she was saying ‘goodbye’ as she picked up her new phone and then she was back to old Haley.

Edited by Tiggertoo
On 10/12/2017 at 7:40 AM, AEMom said:

Boy, I really noticed Julie's face this week. I wish this need for all women to look 25 forever would just stop.

For me, the last few weeks I've been distracted by Sarah's overpumped lips.  It's distracting and was soooo unnecessary.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, VartanFan said:

For me, the last few weeks I've been distracted by Sarah's overpumped lips.  It's distracting and was soooo unnecessary.  

She says it's do to the medication she is on and they aren't always that way on her instagram.

• Love 1

wasn't anyone else weirded out that Phil and Claire were trying to go to a Steely Dan concert? (Half of them just died for those not paying attention). I know the thing was in the can, and there's nothing they can do about it.

• Love 2

Steely Dan was famous for NOT  doing concerts.  They were a studio band. 

I think that's part of the joke, plus they're old now,  like those of us who bought their records, yes records, as in albums, or LPs, or even tapes,  when they were, just out. 

Hey, Nineteen.  Or as Wendy McClennon said on the funny cop show whose name escapes me now, 911?, "Hey 39 and a half and holding",  cuz she was going to their concert.  

• Love 5
On 12/10/2017 at 7:40 AM, AEMom said:

Problem is the face work makes them look older!

On 11/10/2017 at 10:25 PM, jmcd44 said:

I didn’t hate the episode & I’m usually not a killjoy but all I could think of when Clare & Phil made Haley sleep outside was how that is the way Paul Bernardo & Karla Homolka found one of their victims.

Gosh, me too.  You must be Canadian.  Bernardo & Homolka sure made me paranoid with my teens.  I made a couple of late rescue trips.  I told them call me at ANY time & I'll be there.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, useryikes said:

You must be Canadian.  Bernardo & Homolka sure made me paranoid with my teens.  I made a couple of late rescue trips.  I told them call me at ANY time & I'll be there.

I’m not! Just an American obsessed with true crime! I thought maybe there would be more repercussions from Haley sleeping outside. Clearly the writers are not true crime buffs. 

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:08 AM, Tosia said:

Hey, Nineteen.  Or as Wendy McClennon said on the funny cop show whose name escapes me now, 911?, "Hey 39 and a half and holding",  cuz she was going to their concert.  

Wendi McLendon-Covey, and it's Reno 911.

• Love 1