Type keyword(s) to search

Barefoot Contessa in the Media: Whipping Up Some Publicity

• Start Topic

Several years ago, I found her book Summer On A Plate at the library & really enjoyed it.  She seemed like a lovely woman & must have been a good friend to many.  This is very sad news.

Oh poor Anna, that's terrible news :( I always loved her appearances.

I was coming here to post good news; Ina is filming a new show called "Amercians in Paris" about Americans who have opened restaurants in Paris.

Edited by WhitneyWhit

I remember seeing Ina going into "Loaves and Fishes" on many shows and having Anna appear on her show too. What a shame that this wonderful, accomplished woman was killed. I won't even go into how and why and by whom she was run down. This makes me truly ill. Rest In Peace, Anna. 

• Love 1

I am a member of an Ina fangroup on facebook. She posted this today:

Jeffrey and I are in Paris filming a special for Food Network called Americans in Paris! I'm cooking with amazing American chefs who have restaurants here and French chefs who make American food with a French twist. Plus, I'm making American cocktails "Paris style!" I can't wait to go home and cook some of my favorite French recipes, like this French Apple Tart! http://barefootcontessa.com/recipes.aspx?RecipeID=387&S=0

Plus two pictures, one of an apple tart and one of her and Jeffrey strolling in Paris. What a life.

• Love 2

According to a fb posting, Ina will be filming a new show called Barefoot with Friends.  No more information that I could find.  I wonder if it will be in the 30 minute series format or a continuation of the 60 minute specials.  And who will be the friends?

Ina was on The Chew this week, and she mentioned it takes Jeffrey 4 hours to drive home from Yale on Fridays. Sounds like he's keeping a fairly full schedule there. She was making roast chicken, and mentioned to Michael Symon, who was cooking with her, that the final chicken they put out was perfectly done, and Michael said their kitchen staff at The Chew are amazing. Nice of her to acknowledge what a good job they did.

I've never watched this show, but I thought you guys might get a kick out of this. My local morning radio show has a segment called 2nd Date Update where they call someone to ask why they're blowing off a person they had one date with. Today's segment (a rerun) was all about the Barefoot Contessa. It's likely these things are scripted, but I thought it was still pretty funny.

• Love 1

I just watched Ina on qvc.com where she visited the set and watched as the host kept devouring one of her dishes after another (then doing his happy dance cause it tasted soooo good).  She looked so short (or maybe the host was so tall?)  They must have had 20 of her recipes cooked and on display on a long table. I'm not sure I'm going to get this cookbook as the dishes didn't look all that appealing to me (but I do love Ina and she'll probably have home decor and party tips along with equipment/food brand advice so maybe I'll put it on my Xmas wish list!)

I just watched the Ina segment on QVC w David Venable -- it was too funny when she glided in -- yes, a very little R2D2 next to 6'6" David.  She was lovely and cool and calm just like the Ina we know and love.  David was crazy about her and they sold a ton of books apparently.  I don't watch QVC but this one was fun to see.

PS:  had to Google the host and find out his height because he towers over Ina!

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 2

Sorry for the late notice but just saw the bumper promo on Today that Ina will be on making a filet mignon (i think that's what I heard), just before the 9 o'clock hour for those on the west coast delay and in a few minutes for those up now. This is apparently in honor of the release of "Cooking for Jeffrey" today.

She will also be live on their facebook page and will be back on the later show with Hoda and Kathie Lee.

Edited by sunsheyen
  • Love 1

@chessiegal:  Bon voyage!  What's the name of that bistro near their apartment that they go to all the time? I tried to find it after visiting the Rodin Museum but couldn't find it. This is a great time of year to be in Paris :>)  Re: Cook Like A Pro--I thought it was going to be aired in mid May yet I haven't seen any promos about Ina's new show.

A blurb about Ina today appeared on AOL, not once but two times.  It seems that Miss Ina has eaten the same breakfast for the past ten years: coffee and a bowl of Irish steel-cut oats.

Now, if that isn't enough "inside story" for you, Ina revealed one more tidbit:  Every Sunday at 6:00 a.m. she has a massage and loves it.  I don't know what you're doing at 6 a.m. every Sunday, but I would eschew the message for an extra hour of sleep!  To each her own.  :)

• Love 2

She and Jeffrey were in Paris recently where she was posting Instagram photos of her breakfast - croissants. No mention of steel cut oats. Then they must have gone to London because she was posting pictures of the wonderful cheeses she was seeing.

She also commented about a particular commercial granola she eats because "why would you make your own when you can buy it?"  But Ina, your granola recipe is awesome.  

It sounds like Ina isn't chucking down much oatmeal these days, does it (?) -- outside of what's in her granola, that is.   I agree, Quof, her granola is delicious.

On 5/16/2017 at 6:34 PM, Lura said:

A blurb about Ina today appeared on AOL, not once but two times.  It seems that Miss Ina has eaten the same breakfast for the past ten years: coffee and a bowl of Irish steel-cut oats.

Now, if that isn't enough "inside story" for you, Ina revealed one more tidbit:  Every Sunday at 6:00 a.m. she has a massage and loves it.  I don't know what you're doing at 6 a.m. every Sunday, but I would eschew the message for an extra hour of sleep!  To each her own.  :)

Just saw that the quotes are from a podcast Ina did with Katie Couric. Ina's part starts at 3:10. She goes into some personal topics, including explaining her decision not to have kids, starting 22 minutes in.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, huahaha said:

Just saw that the quotes are from a podcast Ina did with Katie Couric. Ina's part starts at 3:10. She goes into some personal topics, including explaining her decision not to have kids, starting 22 minutes in.

I enjoyed that podcast very much. Thanks for sharing it, huahaha!  The only real awkward part was the part about her discussing their decision to not have children.  It really doesn't matter to any of us, and is nobody's business, and I'm not sure why Katie went there but she recovered well.  I really loved the story of Ina's purchase of The Barefoot Contessa.  I am familiar with the story, but I didn't realize quite how serendipitous it was for her.  

• Love 2

Did anyone see Ina on PBS News last night?  They did a feature about her (of course I knew everything they discussed: job in the White House as an analyst, buying the Barefoot Contessa, never took a cooking class, etc).,except that she has a new cookbook coming out in 2018 (that I didn't know).   Ina looked so pretty, eyes sparkling, relaxed. She cooked with William, the interviewer, at different points in the feature.  I think you can see this interview at the PBS website.  I know Ina isn't a trained chef but it's still amazing what she has accomplished w/o a cooking class.  He asked if she knew who her viewers were and she said one day, early in the TV show years, she was in the city, passed a woman covered in furs who told her she loved her show.  She figured that's who her audience was.  Then, a few blocks down the street, a truck driver yelled out his window, "Hey baby, love the show"!

• Love 2

Ina's going to be a guest on an episode of the new " Bobby and Damaris Show" with Bobby Flay and Damaris Phillips. It's filmed at Bobby's home in the Hampton. Premiers Sept. 3rd at 10:30 am - and they will be cooking - yeah!

• Love 2