Type keyword(s) to search

Barefoot Contessa in the Media: Whipping Up Some Publicity

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Ina posted on FB today they moved the release date of her new cookbook Modern Comfort Food to October 6. I know it was originally scheduled for October, but I don't remember what day.

It was originally scheduled for October 27th.

On 5/5/2020 at 6:51 PM, chessiegal said:

Thanks. I knew it was near my birthday. Every 2 years she makes my husband's gift giving easy. Early bd gift for me!

Don’t be surprised if your birthday doesn’t feel like your birthday this year. Mine was yesterday and although I received many cards and phone calls and had two socially distanced meals with friends at my house, it was just weird. My drivers license expired on my birthday (yesterday) but I told my sister that it expires next week “on my birthday.” I am so confused about time—it has no meaning! Hope you have a good one!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Don’t be surprised if your birthday doesn’t feel like your birthday this year. Mine was yesterday and although I received many cards and phone calls and had two socially distanced meals with friends at my house, it was just weird. My drivers license expired on my birthday (yesterday) but I told my sister that it expires next week “on my birthday.” I am so confused about time—it has no meaning! Hope you have a good one!

My birthday was the 7th. Thank God for a few calls & some really great cards... plus at least being able to pick up favorite meals at a nearby seafood restaurant. A so called quarantine birthday *is* weird! And, at least we're able to celebrate a new year (hopefully this "new year" will calm down soon too). 😷🌷😊

• Love 1

Ina posted on Instagram - Is anyone else a little tired of cooking? I'm taking the week off and spending it in my garden. If I had a garden like Ina's, I'd be spending time there too. I never think of Ina as getting tired of cooking.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Quof said:

Love that Ina. And that smashed burger sounds good too. I'm ordering her new cookbook, using an Amazon gift card I got back in May. I've got most of her cookbooks but make only a few recipes out of each. But I love to open them and enjoy the beautiful photos & read her comments. I even fold dinner napkins & do same color flower arrangements like Ina. She's the best!!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I ordered Ina's new cookbook yesterday. It will be here tomorrow. My first Ina cookbook was a gift - the Paris book. Now I'll have all of them.

My cookbook arrived yesterday.  It's wonderful! I can't wait to make that smashed burger with the caramelized onions.  I've already made the English roasted potatoes that Emily Blunt made for Ina (about a month ago when I read about the recipe being in the new book) - they are soooooo delicious. I have most of the cookbooks (but not the Paris cookbook or the Parties cookbook). It's such a nice, serene experience perusing her cookbooks. Beautiful photos. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

Fun interview with Ina about being sick of cooking in quarantine. Ha, temporarily, of course, rescued by a good-quality PB&J sandwich. Plus, four recipes from her new book!

Thanks for posting the link! There’s a good article here as well (I think this is a site where you can read several articles for free, so I hope it works). 

I think the first recipe I’m going to try from the new cookbook is the Brussels sprouts pizza. I think she tweeted about it last year, and it then popped up in a few articles about her. I’m also a sucker for tomato soup and grilled cheese so I know that will be on the menu soon.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I think the first recipe I’m going to try from the new cookbook is the Brussels sprouts pizza.

Did she do anything different, or just replicate the one from the NY pizzeria?  There's not much to tweak - it's the pizza version of cacio e pepe plus Brussels sprouts.  I love Brussels sprouts, cacio e pepe, and pizza, so when I read a blurb about the pizza a couple of years ago in the paper (it got attention because Ina had raved about it on social media), I promptly made one.  It was good.  I didn't get as excited as Ina did (of course, mine was likely not as good as the restaurant's), but it was tasty.

4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've already made the English roasted potatoes that Emily Blunt made for Ina (about a month ago when I read about the recipe being in the new book) - they are soooooo delicious.

I've always wanted to make those ever since she made them during the Mary Poppins special with Emily, Lin Manuel Miranda and some producers from the movie. 

22 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I've always wanted to make those ever since she made them during the Mary Poppins special with Emily, Lin Manuel Miranda and some producers from the movie. 

Go make them...they are so good! I make aioli as a dip for them. Yum🤓

• Love 2
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Hmmm...I just throw together mayo, some Dijon, lemon zest & juice, garlic, a little cayenne, S&P. 

So no getting out an egg yolk, olive oil and a food processor until it's emulsified? (Using mayo as a base sounds easier or even buying one). 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, MargeGunderson said:

That’s pretty much how I make my “cheater’s aioli” (minus the cayenne). The key is good mayonnaise, which for me is Duke’s. For the life of me I can’t make homemade mayonnaise, it breaks every time. 

I have made homemade mayo exactly once in my life when my grocery pickup gave me pasteurized eggs instead of regular eggs.  It actually worked.  The recipe I found told me to use the whole egg instead of just the yolk and then to slowly add in canola or vegetable oil.  (Olive oil I guess is what turns it into an aioli).  

But I didn't the flavor was superior to the store bought stuff.  And it was at least a cup or a cup and a half of mayo with an expiration date of sorts on it. I don't think you can really freeze it for later like I do with pesto.  I do not use that much mayo unless I'm making some sort of heavy mayo based salad so it kind of went to waste.  I might try again at another time if I predict a high mayo week...like lots of tuna. 

• Useful 1
44 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

So no getting out an egg yolk, olive oil and a food processor until it's emulsified? (Using mayo as a base sounds easier or even buying one). 

Geez--I've never made mayo (been tempted, but just haven't). Hellmanns is pretty good (& Ina *always* recommends it). When I first made aioli, I carefully followed the recipe. But after a while, I started tossing the ingredients together. I'd taste test to ensure it was good. Sometimes I use lime instead of lemon (going rogue!!) 

• Love 1

Made aioli back when I first got my immersion blender (and a deep plastic beaker). With the ingredients in place, the blender head is placed on the bottom and then dragged up slowly until an emulsion is formed. Pretty cool. Also delicious. And I'd do it again if company were coming that I wanted to impress, LOL, when will that be?! Otherwise, shortcut aioli using Ina-Likes-It Hellman's and a whole lot of garlic works a treat (vigorous whisking helps after you add the garlic and other ingredients you'd like). 

Company and pasteurized eggs!

Edited by buttersister
Safety first.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Ina posted this on her FB page.

A NEW SEASON of Barefoot Contessa starts on Food Network this Sunday, October 25th at 12PM, and it’s a little different this time. We are looking back at some of my favorite recipes plus we’ve added new ones that I filmed all by myself on my iPhone – and as you can tell by the cocktail reel bloopers, it was crazy! So in addition to writing recipes, I get to add hair, makeup, food stylist, prop stylist, cameraperson, audio tech, AND director to my resume! I never missed my tv crew more! I hope you love the shows!

• Love 5
On 9/29/2020 at 10:37 AM, annzeepark914 said:

Love that Ina. And that smashed burger sounds good too. I'm ordering her new cookbook, using an Amazon gift card I got back in May. I've got most of her cookbooks but make only a few recipes out of each. But I love to open them and enjoy the beautiful photos & read her comments. I even fold dinner napkins & do same color flower arrangements like Ina. She's the best!!

Saw the smashed burgers were pink inside....not for me!

23 minutes ago, sheetmoss said:

Saw the smashed burgers were pink inside....not for me!

I haven't seen the recipe (getting the East coast feed on Pacific time means the episodes air well before I wake up, and FN is stingy with repeats), but I almost certainly wouldn't eat a burger that wasn't pink inside; while temp, not color, is what matters, since I loathe over-cooked meat the absence of any pink would usually coincide with beef cooked to a temperature in which I have no interest; only if it was a really thin patty that looked burnt but was medium rare would I chow down.

• Love 1

I've never heard of Sarah Kieffer; now that Ina heartily endorses her pan-banging cookies, I've discovered the beauty of her Instagram page and want to try all of her recipes. 

5 hours ago, Quof said:

I've never heard of Sarah Kieffer; now that Ina heartily endorses her pan-banging cookies, I've discovered the beauty of her Instagram page and want to try all of her recipes. 

I bought her cookie book recently, but have only tried out one recipe (chocolate sugar cookies). Since I can’t offload my cookies on my coworkers (we’ve been remote since March), I don’t bake as many sweets. I really want to try the Neopolitan cookies. I bought black cocoa and freeze dried strawberries so I’m all set when I get the urge to bake.

1 hour ago, sheetmoss said:

Curious - on the recent compilation BC eppy, Ina made vanilla extract...said she's had hers for 30yrs - yet  we see her use 'good vanilla' Neilsen-Massy on the show?

I imagine she uses that brand for her recipe testing for her cookbooks because it’s good to have something that is commercially available because taste varies and than uses the other in her home cooking. 

Viewers who have only recently started watching the BC (in the last two years) have no idea what they're missing...and why the show was so loved. I'm glad to still have Ina cooking on TV, but so much is now missing. Being out in the garden picking herbs, setting the table, arranging flowers after stopping off at Michael's shop, cooking dinner & delivering to a friend, etc. The pandemic can't be blamed cause the new style of BC came to be a few years ago. Guess I got spoiled back in the glorious day. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I follow Alex G. on Twitter. Today she responded to someone complaining that Ina's recipe for making vanilla using 24 vanilla beans with vodka would cost $240. Alex's response was "Don't mess with the queen." Hee.

That person should find a better source for vanilla beans because they are getting robbed. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Ina's been posting recipes for her ""micro-Thanksgiving". She says just because it's a small celebration doesn't mean it can't be delicious. We always have a micro-Thanksgiving with just the 2 of us, recently eating out. This year I ordered a meal for take-out from a restaurant.

• Love 1

So tonight I took part in an hour Zoom call with Katie Couric interviewing Ina!  You bought the ticket through Williams-Sonoma to be on the call.  Ina was in her barn kitchen; Katie was in her casual family room.  It was as absolutely delightful as you would think — exceeded my hopes!  Both were drinking Ina’s cranberry Cosmopolitans and when Katie finished hers, her husband brought her a glass of Scotch 🙂  They were fun, relaxed and super comfortable with each other.  Ina’s commentary and answers to questions were full of info, anecdotes, and helpful ideas.  Nothing felt canned or rehearsed.  Both women are so warm, sharp and great conversationalists.  Only regret — no Jeffrey sighting — he was at Yale teaching — but Katie’s husband John was on the Zoom screen for about 5 minutes while he helped Katie get the computer to stop “pinging”.  Great way to spend an hour!

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 5
On 11/17/2020 at 7:37 PM, buttersister said:

Nice NYTimes piece by Julia Moskin about Ina in quarantine times. The Times allows X number of free articles a month, but the recipes, from her new book, are behind their Cooking paywall.

The mashed potatoes have 2 sticks of butter, so, you know, Ina! 

Well, heck. I can't read the article. But anyway...try the mashed potatoes that go with the sausages (Bangers & Mash). They're delicious without having an overload of butter. It uses creme fraiche & 1/2 stick of butter & a little coarse grain mustard.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Has anyone heard about a new cook book? I saw somewhere online that she has a cook book almost ready to come out (but there were no details).

She normally puts out a new cookbook every 2 years in October. Modern Comfort Food came out last October (one of the few good things to happen in 2020). I read she's planning a memoir or autobiography, but I thought that was coming in something like 2023.

31 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

She normally puts out a new cookbook every 2 years in October. Modern Comfort Food came out last October (one of the few good things to happen in 2020). I read she's planning a memoir or autobiography, but I thought that was coming in something like 2023.

Hope it's a memoir, with recipes tucked in :>)

Today Ina posted her party music list on Instagram - playlist is "Ina's Dance Party". She said it's in celebration of things getting back to normal. I found it on iTunes - 57 songs, 3 hours 5 minutes long. Great party music!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

I see that Ina just won a Daytime Emmy for Best Culinary host.  

Ina really is a great TV "host" because you feel as though you're sitting on a stool in her taping kitchen learning how to cook her meals. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Ina really is a great TV "host" because you feel as though you're sitting on a stool in her taping kitchen learning how to cook her meals. 

I totally agree!  Her show is my most favorite cooking show. She's calm, quiet, kind,  knowledgeable, of all the chefs on FN/CC she is the one I would want to learn from.

• Love 2