Type keyword(s) to search

Barefoot Contessa in the Media: Whipping Up Some Publicity

• Start Topic

Not sure if this is the right spot, but here goes.  I just saw an item (don't have the link or I'd include it) that the Contessa company which markets Ina's frozen dinners ceased operations yesterday because it couldn't meet its financial commitments.  That comes at the same time as articles about Ina putting out feelers to buy the company.  Hmmmm.....

Today at Safeway I saw a new Barefoot Contessa frozen product:  "Oven Dinners".  I didn't have time to study the labels but did notice that there were several different dishes available & the price was $1 higher than the "Saute Dinners".  And it looks as if there's also a line of "Dinner Sides" (at least at Walmart, though I didn't see those at Safeway).  They're all probably pretty good, but that's no excuse.....

Thanks for the heads-up...I'm going to check it out.  Last night we needed a fast dinner and I was thrilled to find one of those saute bag dinners of Ina's in the freezer.  That's what I use them for - those last minute, throw together meals when I don't have the time or energy to get creative.  But I'll wait until I have a coupon or they're on sale :>)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307464881/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p14_d6_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=091AYMYAJ9VYBKGH148Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

I was looking for something else on amazon and saw Ina's new book Make It Ahead, which will be released in October. Same old buttoned shirt, although this time it's white and she added a red scarf at the neckline.

I remember an interview with her somewhere... She was asked where one could buy the trademark shirt she wears. She said they can't be purchased - they're custom-made for her.

I've heard it was based on a blouse from Eileen Fisher. I imagine because Ina is so short, she had some one make the same shirt to custom fit her, then ordered a truckload in various shades of black, brown and navy blue.

(edited)

I don't think those shents disguise perceived figure flaws at all; somewhat the opposite in making her look shapeless or even dumpy.  But if she feels good in them, more power to her.  I do get all Stacy & Clinton about those flood water pants, though.  Those just look ridiculous!

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I could be wrong, but I've always thought that Ina doesn't like her legs.  She wears pants to even the most formal of occasions.  Pants and pearls.  She's also right at home with her boyfriends.  Somehow, I can't imagine Ina wearing a pretty blouse or a dress.  I guess I'm so used to seeing her in her shents that I can't quite picture her in anything else.

• Love 2

I don't know where to put this, so I will see if anyone finds it here. According to my FIOS guide, Ina has a one hour show, A Barefoot Contessa Summer Weekend, that will air Saturday, July 12, from 1:00 to 2:00 pm, on Cooking Channel. I've never seen it before, but what I can find online indicates that it originally aired on FN? It sounds like Ina needs to whip up some publicity because why should people find out about episodes by accident? Doesn't FN or CC advertise?

Thanks, @jackiecat.  I figured it had to be a repeat, since it was airing on CC. Of course, the FIOS guide says the original airdate is 7/12/14, since that's the first time it's showing on CC. I wish they'd show the actual original airdate! I really get a kick out of Ina's old shows and love when I happen across one.

I DVR'd it. It seemed to use a bunch of different episodes for the special. It included the famous beach cookout episode with the thousand-ingredient barbecue sauce and the Szechuan noodles. I have to find her mai tai recipe for MrChicklet.

Looks like new episodes are coming! There's one scheduled for this Sunday at 10AM. Recipes include, Jalapeno Cheddar Crackers, Blood Orange Cosmos, Breakfast Ricotta with Berries and Maple Syrup, and Whole Wheat and Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits.

It feels like its been forever since we got a new episode, so I'm totally ready!

• Love 2

Ina just posted on her Facebook page that she's discontinuing her frozen dinner line.

"Several of you have asked about my Barefoot Contessa Sauté Dinners. After an amazingly positive reception in thousands of stores across America, the company that prepared my dinners has been sold to a much larger food company. I believe in being very involved and hands-on to ensure the quality of my dinners and the smaller company allowed me to do that. So, I’ve decided to hit the pause button and go back to what I love doing most – writing cookbooks. Thank you so much for your extraordinary support, and I hope you’ll continue to enjoy my cookbooks and television shows."

I just saw that Facebook post about her frozen dinners -- anyone know anything beyond her claim that she wants to be more "hands-on" than the big bad new company will allow?  Or was it just a matter of sales not being able to support continuing the BC frozen food line? 

Stores carrying these products may start offering them for reduced prices, since the supplier will be discontinuing the items.  I liked the one I tried (something with shrimp) when it was on sale awhile back -- I'd probably buy a few more if they weren't so expensive. 

• Love 1

I never tried these dinners, which debuted only a little over a year ago. From what I've read, Ina got involved in litigation with the company Contessa Premium Foods after a dispute over her use of the name Barefoot Contessa. The company then filed for bankruptcy and an investment group bought it. The new CEO then worked out the deal with Ina:

Barefoot Contessa meal range launches in Walmart, Safeway, others

The idea came about from an unconnected call from Garten to Binotto, over use of the word ‘Contessa’.

“Ina called personally about a litigation between her and my predecessor [John Blazevich, Contessa founder],” said Binotto, who came in as CEO after Contessa was bought from chapter 11 bankruptcy protection by private equity groups Sun Capital Partners and Main Street Capital Holdings in 2011.

“I cannot give you specifics but the litigation revolved around her use of Barefoot Contessa in retail frozen meals,” said Binotto.

“I said, ‘I’m not a litigious person, let’s have lunch and sort this out’.”

From this lunch came the idea to partner on a range, using recipes from Garten, Binotto told Undercurrent.

Garten has been given full quality control over the products. “This was something that our investment partners asked me, ‘Don, do you really want this in?’ But it is very important to me that we protect the quality of the range.”

There's more info in that article on how he was trying to turn the business around, and Ina's line was just part of that. Apparently, it didn't work because this past May, the company filed for bankruptcy for the second time:

Contessa Premium Foods ceases operations as ‘liquidity crisis’ unfolds

Contessa Premium Foods ceased operations at its at its Sewickley, Pennsylvania headquarters and Commerce, California, production plant on Wednesday as it went public with plans to cease business operations.

In a notice sent out on Wednesday, the company notified employees of plans to terminate workers at all locations, reports the Pittsburgh Business Times.

Craig Wolfe, the lawyer representing Contessa, as well as sources inside and outside the company, confirmed the closing, the newspaper said. Owner Sun Capital Partners, which bought the company during bankruptcy proceedings in July of 2011, directed the newspaper to Wolfe for comment.

Also, Ina tried to buy the company:

Garten this week was in early stage talks to buy back the license and was assembling an investor group. Davidson Goldin, a spokesman for Garten, declined comment to the newspaper late Wednesday about the closing.

Due to Contessa’s “liquidity crisis”, it had engaged a financial advisory firm and explored options to restore liquidity, including talking to Garten about licensing and gaining potential partners; but the company “simply could not get a transaction put together in time,” Wolfe said.

April 2014 NY Times article:  Chef Seeks to Buy Contessa Food Business

From what I've read, Ina got involved in litigation with the company Contessa Premium Foods after a dispute over her use of the name Barefoot Contessa. 

Thanks very much for all these details!  I could only find the NY Times article, and I found it very weird that she said "Ms. Garten said she had no information about the company’s finances."  That's what made me think something was very wrong financially, because with business expert Jeffrey as a husband, they would not consider making any decision without full financial information and projections.  I guessed from the NYT article that playing dumb seemed like the smart thing to do.  I also never tried the dinners -- she clearly has some fans of the dinner on this thread, but I was put off by the reviews.  I love her recipes for home cooking, though! 

• Love 1

Thanks 3pwood!

I just went to QVC and watched the (22m) video. The book looks outstanding! Just put barefoot contessa in their search box.

Unfortunately is on waitlist since they sold 37,000 copies!

I am crazy for make ahead recipes.

I follow Ina on FB so saw the link to the Parade article. Good article, but I had to chuckle at the author saying her show was FN's top rated show. Even in the cooking instruction show, last I saw Pioneer Woman had her consistently beat (why, I have no idea, never made it past 5 minutes of PW's show), but at least Tuschie had nice things to say about her. I'd say as long as she wants to do shows, she'll be on FN.

...but at least Tuschie had nice things to say about her. I'd say as long as she wants to do shows, she'll be on FN.

I kind of cringed when I read Tuschie's remarks, because while he was complimenting Ina he was bashing the old lineups of chefs they used to have before they decided their audience was too stupid to cook from scratch.  I'm glad Ina is still around, because she's the only one on the network I actually watch to get some real cooking inspiration.  

• Love 5

The only reason I knew that Parade had an article on Ina is because they put her on the cover.  It amazes me how many contacts Ina and Jeffrey have.  His undoubtedly come from the schools he attended and the government jobs he's held.  Hers may have come from buying her store and getting to know influential people by serving them.  However it happened, both Ina and Jeffrey have been very fortunate, I think, to be able to help their friends and to call on their friends when they need help.  I read somewhere, a long time ago, that Ina's first big promotion was a short item in Time magazine, arranged by a friend.  Ina has worked very hard on her own, but having friends in high places hasn't hurt!

• Love 1

I just watched the video, so thanks for posting that.  Found the Parade article and enjoyed it.  I have a thought in my own head that Ina is comforting and smells like Cashmere bouquet powder and I would like to lean in on her shoulder for a while.  Not sure if this is how she is, but, I'm holding the thought!   I have made her Middle Eastern Vegetable Salad.  Yum. I'm not much for cooking but I do love her show.

I watched Ina's appearance on The Chew yesterday, thanks to my On Demand service.  I thought that she was great, only a little nervous due to the pressure of a live cooking demo, and the hosts seemed to love her.  She made a "make ahead" leek/artichoke heart bread pudding, which looked luscious, and the audience members all got copies of her new cookbook.  Lucky them!

• Love 2

Stewedsquash, that seems like a clever way of doing things, going through the book first at Costco and writing down the names of recipes that sound good.  I've never thought of that.  It's also a good way of finding out whether you'd like to buy the book.  It reminds me a little bit of going to Amazon and getting a sneak peek at the index, but in most cases you don't have a chance to see the ingredients.

Will there be any new episodes? It seems like Giada has new episodes in Sunday's, but Ina is missing! I hope they don't just show old Barefoot Contessa episodes. It would be sad to lose this show and be stuck with Guy, Giada and a bunch of country cooks.

You have me curious, chessiegal.  I'm going to Amazon to check it out.  I won't be buying it because I have enough cookbooks to last a lifetime!  I don't belong to Facebook.  Did Ina say how she happened to see it?  I wondered whether she wrote the forward to it, or whether it was penned by a friend or acquaintance.

Lura, this is what she said on her FB post.

"Every once in a while, a cookbook comes along that simply knocks me out. The new book, Huckleberry (Chronicle Books), is from L.A.-based wife and husband team Zoe Nathan and Josh Loeb, who own Huckleberry Bakery and Café in Santa Monica, as well as Milo & Olive, Sweet Rose Creamery, and Rustic Canyon. Their book is filled with wonderful tips about life and baking but what inspires me most is that I want to make every single recipe in this book! The beautiful photographs draw you in and the recipes are both rustic and elegant- plus, they’re easy to make. Next for me, Baked Apples with Oat Crumble – the ultimate comfort food with a modern twist!"

Chessiegal,  thank you for copying all that!  The book sounds good, and I've always had great faith in Chronicle Books, especially their cookbooks.  Next time we're in Santa Monica, I'll have to check out their eating spots.