Type keyword(s) to search

Barefoot Contessa in the Media: Whipping Up Some Publicity

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Doesn't she have a book coming out soon? A memoir?

Scheduled for release sometime in 2023. Not really that soon. The category was "In the TV Kitchen". 

The clue was the $2000 clue in DJ. 

Mariska Hargitay & Michelle Obama have been guests on Ina Garten's show called this, also an Ava Gardner title role.

Another clue in the category was about Valerie Bertinelli.

• Useful 2
24 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

As much as I adore Ina, I am NOT signing up for Discovery+

Ditto. And jeez, how much money does someone in her mid-seventies need anyway? Don't the Gartens already have enough so that they can make a gesture of gratitude toward the people who've supported her show for years now? It's not like she wasn't getting paid for that all along. Sometimes . . .

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Some people enjoy what they do, and have no desire to retire. Obviously I don't know, but I sense the Gartens enjoy what they do and money is not a motivation. 

Who said anything about retiring? They're certainly able to continue what they're doing. And if money is not a motivation, why sign a "huge deal" if not at least in part for a boatload of money?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

Ditto. And jeez, how much money does someone in her mid-seventies need anyway? Don't the Gartens already have enough so that they can make a gesture of gratitude toward the people who've supported her show for years now? It's not like she wasn't getting paid for that all along. Sometimes . . .

It doesn't sound like her show is moving.  I suspect The Food Network will continue to play Barefoot Contessa.

What her deal with Discovery+ does is let her create more content.  Content that regular cable channels may not wish to stream but Discovery+ does because they know she has a loyal fan base.  

And loyal fans will lead to more signups. 

But don't despair.  I took advantage of a six month trial of Discovery+ because I wanted to see Bobby and Giada in Italy but The Food Network ended up airing the show anyway.  

51 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Who said anything about retiring? They're certainly able to continue what they're doing. And if money is not a motivation, why sign a "huge deal" if not at least in part for a boatload of money?

Ina deserves to get paid what she is worth.  There isn't much of a difference between her being on a cable channel (which people pay for) and Discovery+ which people pay for.  Ina viewers are already in the privileged position to have pay TV. 

• Love 4

It was wonderful watching Ina once again. I plan to make each recipe, but that chipotle pepper? Yikes! I only use a small portion of the pepper (*minus the seeds*) but I love the sauce & it will be good in the aioli, on top of the salmon. Those tuna melts look good too. Hmm...anchovy paste in mayo? I need to try that. I only use white albacore tuna packed in water. And I've never bought broccoli rabe so this will be an interesting recipe to make. Love the Barefoot Contessa 🧡🎃🍁🌾

This show always has a timeslot long before I get up and is not plugged into the various afternoon re-run slots (and I don't tend to record things), so I just look up the recipes.  I can't find this new episode's recipes on the FN site yet, though, boo.

9 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

And I've never bought broccoli rabe so this will be an interesting recipe to make.

I love broccoli rabe/rapini.  How did she make it this time?  (Just generally; I'll find the specific recipe when it's posted.)

54 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Found the recipes!

Thanks!  I wonder why this season didn't come up on the Episodes section of the show's page on the FN website.

Anyway, nothing new about the tuna melts, but there's nothing new about almost anything she makes - it just usually looks so tasty and makes me think, "I should make that!"  I am now definitely having a tuna melt craving and will make her version for lunch, since I have all the ingredients.

The aioli sounds interesting, as it would be mild enough (I know she calls it spicy, but those ingredients are medium to me) to hopefully not distract from the salmon.  I have salmon about once a week, so I'll give that a try next time.

The pasta is similar to something she's already made (again, hardly ever anything new, but almost always something good), but sounds good.

I'm glad she's back, even if I read rather than watch.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I'm trying all four recipes, as they are tastes/ingredients that I enjoy and that I have on hand or can buy easily. She has such an reassuring way of presenting her cooking that it makes her shows such as pleasure for me.

Looking forward to what's to come!

• Love 3

I'm confused.  That link takes me to to a page that says it's Season 19 E 1 but Barefoot Contessa is on Season 24. (And yet, when I look at S19.E01 via my cable, the recipes are completely different than what's on the website.) 

I have a series recording. I don't know why my DVR didn't pick it up if it's new. 

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I wonder why this season didn't come up on the Episodes section of the show's page on the FN website.

Season 18 came up on my screen, but it looked like a pull down menu and voila, there was 19. Tuna melt coming up here soon, too.

On 10/18/2021 at 7:03 AM, schnauzergirl said:

Ina's new FN shows begin on October 31, 12:30 p.m.  She's also signed a major deal with Discovery+ to star in shows on multiple platforms.  

I just finally read about this new deal:

Garten ... will start work on a new series, “Be My Guest, which is in development for 2022 and is structured so that each episode has three different versions: an hour-long cut for use on the streaming-video outlet Discovery Plus; a half-hour version for the Food Network cable channel; and a companion podcast. Garten will also work on other projects for streaming, linear and audio under the deal.

For reasons known only to her, my mom decided she wanted Discovery+, so I have access via my parents' account; I think it's fine, but nothing worth paying for.  I would never sit and listen to a companion podcast, and wouldn't bother to record the FN version (because they always consign her to a timeslot I am not awake for) but would watch - via the FN Go app on my bedroom TV that has a Fire stick - it in the wee hours when I'm trying to get back to sleep, and will at least check out the extended version of on Discovery+.

Like all things Ina does, though, it sounds rather repetitive despite the talk of how these new platforms allow for "new and creative" programming:

“I’m so looking forward to filming new shows,” said Garten, in a prepared statement. “With ‘Be My Guest,’ I’m welcoming really fun, interesting people into my barn in East Hampton for good food and conversation.  The range of platforms — from streaming and network TV, to audio — offers new and creative ways to connect with new viewers.  This is going to be so much fun!”

I think Ina offers great, "how easy is that?" recipes to home cooks - and when she's not fawning over Jeffrey or staging stilted interactions with friends is a relaxing presence as a host - and I gotta hand it to her for her marketing skills; she writes basically the same cookbook over and over, churns out basically the same show over and over to promote each one of them, and is still going strong decades later.

And I'll never stop drooling over that garden of hers; imagine having the space to keep a fig tree that almost never produces despite being planted eons ago just because it makes pretty leaves to use as decoration on your cheese plates!

• Love 3
On 4/2/2022 at 8:02 PM, maggiemae said:

I loved it....I find Ina so inspirational, fun, charming, talented and love her cookbooks.

I would love to be in her presence and the 2 shows so far so do her guests.

Yeah. I'm a sucker for Ina too. I love her calm demeanor and her simple but precise cooking instructions. I love her garden, her kitchen, her friends.

And I'm going to add something a bit random but I actually like her blouses she wears while cooking. They are like fancy versions of aprons. I don't follow many Food Network chefs but she is one of my favorites. 😊

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Ina is one of my all time favorite chefs. Probably the other one is Michael Symon as he is so natural also. He did a show with Ina and I loved it!

That show was hilarious! Both of them are fun people anyway, and together? They were wonderful. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Ina is one of my all time favorite chefs. Probably the other one is Michael Symon as he is so natural also. He did a show with Ina and I loved it!

What show was that? 

I've yet to make it through more than ten minutes of any of these "Be My Guest" shows.  It's every social interaction Ina is terrible at performing plus almost as awkward fawning appearances by people who ought to be polished enough to pull them off.  Blech.  Bring back the shows where Ina stands in the kitchen and cooks good food that's easy to make impressive, please.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

What show was that? 

Ina did  a show with Michael Symon in her yard  a few years ago. Don't remember exactly when. Google will probably be your friend to find it.

• Useful 1

Not sure where to put this, but does anyone know whether Ina's being back in the prepared-food business is a new thing? I mean, I know about the ill-fated frozen-food line, but I didn't know till today that she was selling baked goods. I got an email from Goldbelly announcing the Beatty cake and a bunch of other things for sale. I hope the quality control is better this time around.

(edited)
On 4/11/2022 at 12:19 AM, chenoa333 said:

What show was that? 

IIRC they made ribs...

Edited to say I searched to get the specifics...

Back to Basics - Season 9 Episode 8 "Cooking with Michael Symon"

Smoked Pork Ribs

Easy Tzatziki

Spicy Hummus

Edited by Kelly
6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

So, is this Emmy for her recent "mini" series, Be My Guest?

No, the latest season ("Modern Comfort Food") of Barefoot ContessaBe My Guest with Ina Garten is a separate show (so should probably technically have its own forum here, but at least a separate thread).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

New season of Be My Guest starts this Sunday at 12:00 noon. The guests will be Faith Hill & her daughter, Gracie. Subsequent shows will feature Emily Blunt, Nathan Lane, and Marcus Samuelsson. I read this in a People article online just now. Let's hope there won't be excessive gushing this time around. I still miss Ina's wonderful shows, teaching cooking, flower arranging, table setting, etc.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I lucked into catching Ina's surprise new (to me) Be My Guest series today. I thought Faith Hill and her daughter were a lot of fun with Ina, chatting and baking and tooling around town. The Nathan Lane ep looks like a hoot! 💙😄

• Love 1

Dang, I forgot to set up my DVR to record and missed it. Didn't they used to repeat her new shows later in the week? I looked up to next Friday and don't see any repeats.

I ordered her new cookbook today on Amazon - $24.99 with free shipping. Happy Birthday to me. It's being released on the 25th. I saw on the Shopping Channels forums she was going to be on In the Kitchen with David. I tuned in - they were offering the book for $23.50 with $5.50 S&H for a total of $29.00! What a rip-off.

I just had a chance to see Ina on “60 Minutes”.  She was wonderful.  Self-deprecating, so smart, relatable, adorable with Jeffrey (gosh, had not seen him since pre-pandemic), great backstory, just someone you want to know and hang out with in her kitchen.  Loved hearing how precise she is when cooking her own recipes and why — inspires me to do the same.  

And of course, I ordered her new book while watching the show.  A must.

Edited by MerBearHou
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I got her new cookbook today. Wonderful as usual. Haven't finished going through it yet.

I was just "perusing" it via Amazon's description of the contents. I'm thinking of putting it on my Xmas wish list (my stepdaughter has a hard time thinking of good gifts for me but she *knows* I love Ina 😸). There's something soothing about reading her cookbook.

Edited by annzeepark914

A few weeks ago, I saw Ina was on In the Kitchen with David (I was reading the Shopping Channel forums, I don't watch shopping channels) so I tuned in. Ina was on via video. I couldn't believe all the food David had on a table from her cookbook. They were offering her book for $23.50 plus $5.50 S&H for a total of $29.00! I went to Amazon, $24.99 with free shipping and ordered it. Today was the release date.