Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: First Of His Name 2014.05.04

• Start Topic

I don't know why they waste precious screen-time on this arc that doesn't advance the plot one bit.

It could be setup for book 6/7 stuff.  I just reread the prologue of DwD (the Varamyr POV) and the emphasis on warging humans (and how against the laws of gods and men that is) is striking.  It could be that much of the point is doubling down on Bran's ability to warg Hodor.

I read that as self-pity -- she was talking about herself as one of those "little girls."

Oh, I can buy self-pity from Cersei.  She has that in abundance.  She was betrothed to Rhaegar then bundled off to Robert.  Robert loved another, whored around and occasionally honored her with a black eye or two.  Then her brother/lover abandoned her when he got captured, spent a year away from her, she had to tag in the insipid Lancel for sex, her father disrespected her, her son began to turn on her, when her brother/lover came back, he was handless, she was betrothed to a gay guy and then replaced by a younger, prettier more popular queen.  And fuck, there wasn't nearly enough wine. 

Altruistic, compassionate, caring Cersei looking out for the best interest of her children?  Not so much.

Selfish, manipulative, self-pitying Cersei looking to ensure the destruction of the brother she always hated?  I can buy that.

Still not liking LH's performance.

• Love 3

Yes;  this bugged me too for some reason.   It should have been King's Landing, The Eyrie, The Wall, Meereen.

They do really need to update the opening. Poor Winterfell is still burning? Yeah, no. Seems lazy for them not to update. 

I too was surprised we didn't get Eyrie in the opening credits.  I can understand Dredfort, because of Locke, and Winterfell, because there's always something about one of the Starks, but there was no need for Dragonstone.

I also could have sworn that in the books Lysa killed Jon Arryn on her own, because she found out Jon wanted to ward Robin off with another lord and take him away from Lysa (whom Jon realized was cray cray), and Littlefinger just took advantage of the situation to point the finger at the Lannisters to stir up trouble (though maybe he did think it likely Ned would be killed in some way and he'd have a shot at Catelyn).  But, I'm not terribly upset with the change to Littlefinger orchestrating the whole thing, its certainly in his character.  Boy the look on Sansa's face when she realized that Lysa wants her to wed Robin.  Another "oh crap, why do I get stuck with all the weird husbands?" Makes me wonder if she'll realize that compared to Joff and Robin, Tyrion's pretty good.

I figured the Arya/Hound scene was primarily to remind people that Arya still thinks of Braavos, so its not completely out of left field when she heads there at the end of the season, and to keep up their conflict to explain why Arya will abandon the Hound when he's wounded.  I'd love for Syrio to to be alive, but seriously, this is GoT.  When it looks like a character is going to die, they probably are, unless specifically saved. 

(edited)

I also could have sworn that in the books Lysa killed Jon Arryn on her own, because she found out Jon wanted to ward Robin off with another lord and take him away from Lysa (whom Jon realized was cray cray), and Littlefinger just took advantage of the situation to point the finger at the Lannisters to stir up trouble (though maybe he did think it likely Ned would be killed in some way and he'd have a shot at Catelyn). But, I'm not terribly upset with the change to Littlefinger orchestrating the whole thing, its certainly in his character.

It's not a change - Lyssa's lines were almost word-for-word from the book. The only thing different was the context - Lyssa blurted it out right after she caught Littlefinger kissing Sansa, when she completely lost control of herself. That makes way more sense than the shown (as does leaving Sweetrobin out of the loop - seriously, do these people not understand the words 'criminal conspiracy'?), but I can understand why they wanted to get it out of the way. I do hope they make Sansa a brunette in the next episode.

Edited by Independent George
  • Love 1
(edited)

The mini-arc at Craster's keep was primarily to Bran's entire season from being about trudging through the woods, starving and freezing. It's just not very interesting to watch. That said, we did get a few good character takeaways:

1. For the first time, we see eplicitly how creepy it is for Bran to not only warg Hodor, but to dominate him to the point where he kills. I wish Hodor's BSOD lasted longer, but the point was made.

2. We see Jojen's fatalism about getting Bran to Bloodraven. How will they know when he's done? When he's dead and his body is burned. He still goes on.

3. Bran makes a choice between family and duty.

4. We see Jon Snow get his ass kicked by someone tougher and meaner than him. Between The Hound, Bronn, and now Karl, this show is a giant love-letter to combat pragmatism.

Great breakdown. Not everything in the show has to advance the plot; in fact, those kinds of episodes are usually terrible. We got some long-needed character development for Bran, Jojen, and even Hodor. Kristain Nairn nailed his scene.

And no, I don't have "sympathy" for Cersei. But Headey was fantastic this episode, and the "...little girls" line had a lot of weight behind it because it wraps up herself, her daughter, and played on Oberyen's love for his eight daughters. The fact that she can't see that she's both a victim and a predator (in the case of Sansa, whom she asked Jaime to find and kill last episode) just shows how well Cersei can compartmentalize when she wants to.

Edited by K26dp

I never have any sympathy for Cersei, either. I didn't even care when Joff was dying in her arms. Watching her move her chess pieces around is always interesting, though. I do enjoy seeing her lose. 

Is is just me that could watch an entire show with just Jojen? That kid is a full-on Mesmer. 

Great breakdown. Not everything in the show has to advance the plot; in fact, those kinds of episodes are usually terrible. We got some long-needed character development for Bran, Jojen, and even Hodor. Kristain Nairn nailed his scene.

I would agree that we did get some character development with the Craster's Keep story arc.  My complaint is that we could've gotten it in the context of scenes that also serve to actually move the story forward.

And if we didn't have the constant tension of having such voluminous book content to squeeze into relatively short television seasons, it wouldn't be an issue.  But they are surely going to sacrifice some arguably relevant (or at least interesting, compelling) stuff from the books as it is.  When you consider the time they've spent both showing Craster's Keep and showing the goings on at Castle Black discussing what was happening at Craster's Keep, that's a relatively significant chunk of time to devote to something that amounts to pure character development with little to no plot advancement.

(edited)
Mance is certainly taking his time getting to the Wall.

I can overlook the seemingly quick trip for Jon and friends to Craster’s Keep.  They were an armed raiding party with a short specific mission, whereas Lord Commander Mormont was leading an open-ended ranging with a LOT more people, baggage, provisions, etc.  I can see that it would take Jon’s group a couple of (off-screen) days but take Mormont’s group a week or longer.

What really bugs me is that Mance sent multiple parties over the Wall (the Thenns went separately from Ygritte’s group) apparently expecting them to spend weeks or months waiting for his ponderous army to mosey south.  His advanced scouts are much more likely to be killed off since they’re basically stranded without support in hostile territory for an extended and unknown period.

As much time as the wildlings have spent in the Gift area, they could have occupied an empty Night’s Watch fort and unblocked one of the frozen gates

We see Jon Snow get his ass kicked by someone tougher and meaner than him. Between The Hound, Bronn, and now Karl, this show is a giant love-letter to combat pragmatism.

Totally agree with this.  I liked the Hound’s comment to Arya about armor and a sword beating Syrio’s style, mainly because I bet it gets her thinking along the lines of “Water dancing is ineffective, I’m too small to use the armor/BFS approach, so I need a third option… Oh yeah, Jaquen Hagar style.  What’d I do with that coin?”

Edited by mac123x
  • Love 1

Ghost got his revenge, yay! I would've loved to see Hodor rescuing both Summer and Ghost, as I presume he did. A nice little reunion of the direwolves would have been a good compensation for the near-miss Stark reunion (albeit expensive - CGI). 

I don't get the frustration with the Dany storyline, at this point it becomes a character study and everything is given an explanation and context. I was glad they mentioned the mess at Astapor and the Yunkai "mistake" but I was hoping - and still do - that Dany mentions Eroeh, the girl she rescued from a Dothraki rape only for her to be raped later. Astapor becomes that for Dany, she rescued the city, only for it to succumb to the Butcher King. She stayed in Meereen in order to ensure it doesn't happen again. That news from Astapor shook her, and I hope they revisit this theme, it's one that is oft forgotten by readers.

Oh, by the way, as far as Dany at least, I think we've reached the end of ASOS, if we are to see her again this season we would be in ADWD territory. Same thing with Pod and Brienne I think, who are entering AFFC territory. Arya did so in the first episode, so she's just wandering around, waiting for the Hound to get injured somehow. I think Sansa is also nearing AFFC. Only Jon and Tyrion are still deep in ASOS. The Sand Snakes and Myrcella got a mention but I don't think we are going to visit Dorne this season though. 

Week 5 of the same credit sequence.  Shouldn't we have skipped Dragonstone and the Dreadfort, and maybe included the Eyrie?  Also, ditch Winterfell since no one has been in the vacinity for months.

Ultimately this show is about Winterfell, which is why it'll always be in the credits. They couldn't really show the Eyrie before we got there, that would be a small spoiler. But I under your point about Dragonstone and the Dreadfort, although I'm not sure the credits should really change drastically from episode to episode - meaning, since we know we'll go back to those locations again this season, is it worth fiddling about with it?

Oh, by the way, as far as Dany at least, I think we've reached the end of ASOS,

Depends on whether they revisit the  HotU stuff and have Barristan blow him up as an informer to the IR. I would guess that will still happen even though they seem to have moved it to after the skipped through the poppies of conquering Mereen. 

(edited)

MarySNJ, to me, Cersei was manipulating each of Tyrion's judges in turn. Mace, through Margaery, Oberyn, and her father.

Of course! Good point.

Brilliant assessment. 

Edited by KurlyGrl

The mini-arc at Craster's keep was primarily to Bran's entire season from being about trudging through the woods, starving and freezing. It's just not very interesting to watch. That said, we did get a few good character takeaways:

1. For the first time, we see eplicitly how creepy it is for Bran to not only warg Hodor, but to dominate him to the point where he kills. I wish Hodor's BSOD lasted longer, but the point was made.

2. We see Jojen's fatalism about getting Bran to Bloodraven. How will they know when he's done? When he's dead and his body is burned. He still goes on.

3. Bran makes a choice between family and duty.

4. We see Jon Snow get his ass kicked by someone tougher and meaner than him. Between The Hound, Bronn, and now Karl, this show is a giant love-letter to combat pragmatism.

But unfortunately, all of that seems to have come at the expense of actually letting Jon grow as a leader of men in Castle Black. While he's gone, Thorne and Slynt and other, presumably more competent, people should be planning the defenses and distributing the men and communicating with Eastwatch and the Shadow Tower. They're the ones dealing with the issues of defending The Wall from the north and the south simultaneously, while Jon has been shoved out of the way.

Unless we get back to The Wall, and discover that no plans have been made while he's been gone, which would just make the timeline of this story even crazier. This was a big part of Jon's development in the books, and it set him up as a viable, if unlikely, candidate to be Lord Commander. And he also had to deal with the personal consequences of his actions, when his planning and leadership led directly to the death of Ygritte.

Meanwhile, the need to see Jon get his arse kicked by someone tougher and meaner than him could still come, when he faces off against the leader of the Thenns, or even Tormund, during the coming battle. And we could still see Bran's cruelty to Hodor in more detail if he took over his mind to save himself from Wights... like he actually did in the book. I've always been pretty open to changes made to the story, because they often seem to improve things, and rein in some of GRRM's dumber tendencies. But these changes just make little sense to me, because the same things could be achieved without having to lose so much of the stuff they've cast aside.

• Love 2
Was also hoping that with so many references to Catelyn, and the Brienne/Podrick subplot, that we would get our first reference to Lady Stoneheart.

Oh, it's setting us up for sure.  But I'll be floored if the reveal of Lady Stoneheart isn't the final image of the season, kinda like it is the epilogue of Book 3.

They are definitely getting into AFFC territory, IIRC with Pod and Brienne.  That didn't even start until AFFC, did it? It's been a while since I read it, but I thought that book opened with Brienne on her mission from Jaime, and Pod stalking her through several cities before she discovers him and takes him on as a squire.  Plus, isn't Tommen's coronation in AFFC?  I might be wrong.

Arya is still in ASOS, as her last chapter had her heading off to Braavos.  So she'll be doing that either in episode 9 or 10. 

I read that the writers pretty much planned to end this season just as ASOS ends, since they felt that everyone had a pretty good natural climax/ending to this part of the story.

(edited)

Lysa is utterly nuts; I do like how the show managed to get across her craziness, obsession with Petyr, jealousy over Cat (and by extension Sansa), and that she was culpable in her husband’s death.

Robin is the squickest kid around.

Arya continues down the path of darkness.

Lena Headly broke my heart when she was speaking about Marcella.

While I suspect that Cersei dangled Tommen and the Queenship in front of Margaery to “buy” Mace’s vote on the tribunal, I didn’t really like the direction of that scene.   I prefer it when Cersei is battling Margaery as I think it helps contributes to Cersei’s deteriorating mental health.

Poor Pod, he can’t catch a break can he.  While the Pod and Brienne chapters were not my favorite in the book (they went on a little bit too long for my taste) I did enjoy that little scene; two misfits trying to do the honorable thing.

Dany, I really wish I could care about your storyline.  Perhaps I will when something interesting happens. 

I always thought that Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington were the weak (acting) links on the show.  I have to say that Harrington has improved immensely now that he’s been given something to do other than mope around.  Perhaps if Clarke is given something to do other than threaten people with dragons.

I was wondering about Loras and Cersei's wedding, but I think I understand now. Tywin will die before they get married so Cersei'll cancel the wedding. 

At some point Loras goes into the Kingsguard to protect Tommen ...... I remember her complain quite a lot to Jamie that she didn't want Loras giving Tommen and kind of lessons.

I am a bit saddened that they aged Tommen up so much (I understand why) as I did like the idea of this eight year old thinking that the best thing about being a king was using the royal seals.

Was also hoping that with so many references to Catelyn, and the Brienne/Podrick subplot, that we would get our first reference to Lady Stoneheart.

I rather like the idea that season three ends with Arya's dream and Lady Stoneheart's first appearance as she rises from the river .... talk about a WTF moment to end the season.

EDIT: Because Kingsguard protects not protests..... though in some cases I'm sure they'd like to protest as well.

Edited by OakGoblinFly
(edited)

Or she'll go ahead and get married to appease the Tyrells and then send Loras off to get melted or send him off before the wedding.

I'd love for them to actually get married. I don't think that would change the large plot.

And Loras wouldn't have to be the kingsguard to teach Tommen to joust. Although I guess it would be kinda unlikely for Jaime to ask Cersei's husband to teach his kid-nephew anything.

Also I don't think there will be time for Tywin to marry them. The trial wouldn't go on as long as two weeks would it?

Edited by Holmbo

I don't think we can get Stoneheart in the finale if we are getting Tyrion set free and killing Tywin in the finale.

Brienne has to go straight from Stoneheart to Jaime at Pennytree.  There will be no time for Jaime to lead a siege on Riverrun and be at Pennytree if Brienne meets Stoneheart in the finale.  Jaime would still be in King's Landing at that point.

I think it's more likely that we get Brienne attacked by Biter in the finale.

Season 5 will give Jaime time to threaten to trebuchet a baby, have Cersei arrested and Brienne be captured by the Brotherhood.  (My prediction for Season 5 episode 9.)  Season 5 would then end with Jaime burning Cersei's letter and Brienne convincing him to leave Pennytree with her. 

I love the Jaime/Brienne show, but I think Brienne is only going to get tortured from now until the opening of Season 6.  It won't be Theon level, but she's in for some misery.  There isn't enough time for her to have enough misery story under her belt before meeting Stoneheart.

fwiw, I've always thought that Tywin's murder will happen in the penultimate episode, when most of the climactic action has taken place in past seasons.  Then the final scene of the finale will give us Stoneheart, the way we got the White Walkers last season.

• Love 5

^ This. I'm of the same opinion.

I speculate that Tywin's murder is going to be one of a few ep9 shockers this season, along with Ygritte dying in the battle at the wall and Stannis showing up there, although Stannis could be carried over to ep10 conceivably.

Episode 8 is called The Mountain and The Viper - which is self explanatory - and brings us neatly to ep9 for Tywin's demise. I believe, the LS reveal will be in ep10 but I don't think we'll see Brienne meeting LS then, just that they will reveal her in some way. I think that that meeting will happen at the end of S5.

• Love 2

IMHO, Tywin and Shae will die in episode 10, not 9 as is usually the case.  #8 will be the Viper, of course, #9 will be the Battle at the Wall, where I'm guessing the little archer boy is going to kill Ygritte.  I'd guess, too, that a couple of Jon's friends will be killed as well, Pyp, Edd and/or Grenn.  And then Tywin and Shae in #10.  One scene that I do keep going back and forth about is when will Lysa exit through the Moon Door?  Can't decide whether it'll be #7, appropriately titled 'Mockingbird' (maybe right after LF meets the Lords of the Vale and convinces them of his good will?) or if Lysa lasts until episode 10.

(edited)

Whatever the order, the last few episodes are going to feature several shocking deaths. I like the juxtaposing of the "birth" of Lady S after all these other characters die.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2
(edited)
We see Jon Snow get his ass kicked by someone tougher and meaner than him. Between The Hound, Bronn, and now Karl, this show is a giant love-letter to combat pragmatism.

Yes!  A lot of people think Syrio is still alive and having all kinds of other secret adventures (Faceless and otherwise) and I can't help but wonder with the Hound disarming Arya while mocking Syrio and emphasizing that Meryn Trant is still alive is the show's way of telling the fans that Syrio is well and truly dead.  

Edited by GreyBunny

I'm going to vote for a Lady Stoneheart reveal at the very end of ep 10: White Walker style. I don't think Brienne will meet her this season (when she does I hope the episode title is "a word" heh) but they could do a quickie reveal with something like what was in the epilogue with her passing judgement on a Frey.

• Love 2

I thought Cersei was awesome. She was trying to manipulate all the judges presiding over Tyrion's trial to her side and I loved it. 

Aryan and The Hound was interesting. It is like watching someone train their killer or give advice on how to kill better to their would be killer. Soo much crazy there. 

All the actions in Craster's Keep was awesome to watch. Jon Snow is changing y'all. 

I thought Dany's story made sense. She said it best "How can I rule 7 Kingdoms when I can't even rule Slaver's Bay?" She is trying to be a better ruler. I thought that was a good thing. And, I thought this showed the difference between her and others who are fighting to rule the Iron Throne. I don't see Stannis asking himself "How can I rule 7 Kingdoms when I can't even get men to fight for me or fight a long with me?" *Different strokes I guess*

• Love 2
I rather like the idea that season three ends with Arya's dream and Lady Stoneheart's first appearance as she rises from the river .... talk about a WTF moment to end the season.

It should be Arya's dream. Which i believe is not a dream, but a vision through the eyes of her long lost dire wolf, which also shows that she is at least a powerful a mindrider as her brothers. It also give her a sense of closure, confirmation that her mother is dead, and so no reason to stay in the area. There could be a quick shot of her on a wharf, looking at the ships. But then, after the vison ends and she wakes, we go back to Catelyns body, and see it suddenly animate, struggle to the river bank, and be pulled out by the red priest. He would say something like "Welcome to the real war, Catelyn Tully Stark!". End credits.
  • Love 1

They rarely have the big things happen in the last episode, so since the fight between the Mountain and the Viper is epi 8 and Tyrion needs to chill in the cell before he "escapes" I bet that epi 10 will be the death of Shae and Tywin, Arya in Braavos, and the last image will be Lady Stoneheart.

IMO I am appalled by the what they have the Eyrie looking like. Straddling two mountains? WTF? and instead of a full day's walk up narrow and dangerous mountain paths it looks like you can just walk up some steps.

Also, before we get to Cersei's comeuppence, we need the groundwork. We need her going to the church thinking she's going to close the trap on Margery. Before that we need her starting the conspiracy to trap Margery. Before that, we need her allowing the church to reestablish the templars and the inquisition. Before that we need the election of a franciscan pope (hmm). Before that we need the death of the old pope and we need the people's crusade to arrive in King's Landing. Before that we need to see the people's crusade in the countryside, quietly growing. And also the weakening of security in King's landing that allows the crusade to enter and pretty much go anywhere it wants. Some of that should happen in this season.

• Love 1
(edited)

I enjoyed this little morsel:

http://asoiafuniversity.tumblr.com/post/84899688090/on-cerseis-game-play-on-game-of-thrones-spoilers

show!Cersei is proving smarter than book!Cersei, and I am absolutely a fan.

In the books, once we get inside Cersei’s head we see that she isn’t the master stratestician she thinks she is — and that she’s prone to petty slights and glaring errors (the Bank of Braavos, Ser Bronn, the High Septon, etc…).

But in the show, she just ran circles around everyone connected with Tyrion’s trial —

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 1

Also, before we get to Cersei's comeuppence, we need the groundwork. We need her going to the church thinking she's going to close the trap on Margery. Before that we need her starting the conspiracy to trap Margery. Before that, we need her allowing the church to reestablish the templars and the inquisition. Before that we need the election of a franciscan pope (hmm). Before that we need the death of the old pope and we need the people's crusade to arrive in King's Landing. Before that we need to see the people's crusade in the countryside, quietly growing. And also the weakening of security in King's landing that allows the crusade to enter and pretty much go anywhere it wants. Some of that should happen in this season.

At first I thought that guy Arya and Hound met where gonna be a sparrow of some kind. To start setting that up for next season. I guess they have time though.

The whole North of the Wall thing plays out like fanfic: A hoary collection of cliches.  You could see every beat from that sequence from miles away (and the Unsullied did a week ago).

I get that Bran's (and Jon's) story need some spicing up.  I just wish D&D had been more creative about it.

ASOIAF is many things, not al of htem good.  But predictable isn't one of them.

• Love 2

In an odd way I thought it was sweet that Robin ran up and hugged Petyr and Littlefinger was kind to him in return.  Even though Petyr probably detests the boy, at least he's pretending to care for him and bring him gifts like that silver bird (too bad Robin "made it fly" by chucking it out the Moon Door.  I almost felt sorry for Petyr.  Almost.)

• Love 1
(edited)

In an odd way I thought it was sweet that Robin ran up and hugged Petyr and Littlefinger was kind to him in return. Even though Petyr probably detests the boy, at least he's pretending to care for him and bring him gifts like that silver bird (too bad Robin "made it fly" by chucking it out the Moon Door. I almost felt sorry for Petyr. Almost.)

Lol yeah, I was feeling all warm and fuzzy about that and then Robin chucked Petyr's gift out the moon door and reality came crashing back in.

Even more than crazy aunt Lysa and creeper Littlefinger, Robin squicked me the hell out in the books. Poor Sansa. At least she does get some potentially useful training on how to win friends and influence people.

Also, I'm now pretty much convinced that the entire reason for the Cersei/Loras engagement was to set up the line "I'm not sure what to call you.....Sister or Mother?" For Marg.

Edited by Joystickenvy
  • Love 1
IMO I am appalled by the what they have the Eyrie looking like. Straddling two mountains? WTF? and instead of a full day's walk up narrow and dangerous mountain paths it looks like you can just walk up some steps.

They also conflated the Bloody Gates at the entrance to the Vale with the Gates of the Moon.  Personally, I always thought the design of the Eyrie in the books was quite silly.  Castles are supposed to be a place for people to retreat to in times of trouble, and also a way for a lord to project power when needed.  Since it’s so difficult to get to or leave from, the Eyrie serves neither of these functions, and as the Lords Declarant proved, it’s incredibly easy to lay siege to. 

I guess the Gates of the Moon is the real castle, with a garrison that can ride out at a moment’s notice, and the Eyrie itself is just a remote refuge, like Maegor’s Holdfast is the last refuge within the Red Keep.

I always assumed Cersei would get out of her marriage to Loras by having Tommen name him to the Kingsguard. Since show-Loras is the only Tyrell heir, is this really not going to happen? Is Loras just going to hang out in King's Landing until his future plot events? I really hope him and Cercei don't actually get married.

(edited)

So...did the convo w/Arya and the Hound make anyone think Sylvio may still be alive?

There's a theory on the interwebs that Jaquen Hagar is Syrio's other face.  Also, I flipped my lid over Oberyn mentioning the Sand Snakes but I was watching with an Unsullied so I just clapped my hands like a seal.

Edited by Grammaeryn
  • Love 1

Last year I watched a guy who does medieval re-enactments put on a full suit of armor (while giving a lecture on both armor and software engineering, I love Silicon Valley) and there comes a point in the process where, if you don't have a squire, you are not going to get the rest of it on. Ever had trouble with buttoned cuffs? Ramp that up by a thousand.

So every time Brienne claimed she didn't need a squire, I wondered just how she got all her armor on.

• Love 1

I always assumed Cersei would get out of her marriage to Loras by having Tommen name him to the Kingsguard. Since show-Loras is the only Tyrell heir, is this really not going to happen? Is Loras just going to hang out in King's Landing until his future plot events? I really hope him and Cercei don't actually get married.

I was actually hoping that Loras would end up heading out with Brienne and Pod on the hopeless Sansa quest, essentially taking the place of Ser Hyle Hunt. It would give Loras something to do for awhile, set up some nice comedy (a desperate Loras proposing to Brienne as Ser Hyle did in the books, but for much different reasons), and Loras could dramatically return to the capital when they hear on the road that Margaery is in trouble.

(edited)

Yes;  this bugged me too for some reason.   It should have been King's Landing, The Eyrie, The Wall, Meereen.

Ultimately this show is about Winterfell, which is why it'll always be in the credits. They couldn't really show the Eyrie before we got there, that would be a small spoiler. But I under your point about Dragonstone and the Dreadfort, although I'm not sure the credits should really change drastically from episode to episode - meaning, since we know we'll go back to those locations again this season, is it worth fiddling about with it?

I'm an opening-credits hound so agree that it would have been great to have replaced Dragonstone with the Eyrie at this point. Really enjoy seeing different angles of the Westeros world so a mild disappointment that it was status quo. Agreed that Winterfell is kind of still the heart of the show, so keeping it as a key location is fine with me. I don't think they've ever thrown more than 6 locations in an opening sequence and wouldn't expect them to try it anytime soon.

Next episode preview shows both Dreadfort and Stannis action, so we may be stuck with the status-quo flyover next episode.

Edited by Tryangle
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was glad for the scenes at the Vale, felt like the only part that advanced the story. I still don't know why they need to change details like Alaynne being LF niece instead of bastard daughter, and it would have been better if the audience had have time to get reacquainted with Lysa, and waited for a later episode to throw in the reveal of the poisoning of her husband. 

But they revealed Joffrey's assassination in a hurry this season too. I don't remember the timing in the book, but wouldn't the trial of Tyrion be more suspenseful without LF's confession/boasting?

I'm glad the Mutineers's detour is wrapped, of course not before another attempted rape ('lovely' pained sounds of women in the background by the way... not). And of course Rast was left for Ghost...

Last ep Jaime made nice with half kings landing, this ep Cersei takes on the other half. My issue is that Cersei (not LH) shouldn't be such a good actress, if she was buttering the judges, she said stuff that was too personal... The scenes just left me scratching my head. *shurg*

Her comment about girls being mistreated was hilarious, Cersei never showed concern for anybody that wasn't her or her immediate family. And of course in this episode women are abused (Craster's wives, Meera, and 'coincidentally Arya getting slapped by the Hound). Let's wait to see what kind of guinea pigs TV-Cersei will give to Qyburn - can't see HBO missing on that one.

Edited by sev

One of my many favorite things about the Unsullied is how they pick up on added stuff that makes absolutely no sense, the latest being this:

I call bullshit on the surprise revelation about the Lannisters being broke.  I could buy into the Master of Coin and the Lannister kids not knowing that Daddy was using a credit card and not a debit card, if that's all it was.  But it isn't.  We're talking about gold mines.  Lots of gold mines.  And as Little Finger said, commoners like to gossip about pretty noble girls over a pint.  They also like to talk shop.  We're supposed to believe that for three years miners in Casterly Rock have NOT been talking about the lack of gold they're finding.  That it isn't common knowledge at least among miners by now.  And that every noble family in all of Westeros hasn't heard this gossip yet?  There's no way.  Not with a morsel that juicy.

God I love this show by why do D&D insist on diminishing the story with ill-considered changes?  What is wrong with letting Cersei fuck up the Crown's obligations to the Iron Bank?

But they revealed Joffrey's assassination in a hurry this season too. I don't remember the timing in the book, but wouldn't the trial of Tyrion be more suspenseful without LF's confession/boasting?

LF's role in Joff's assassination was revealed in the same way in the book: immediately after it happened. But Lady Olenna's role was left to the reader to deduce (which, like many things in the books, I didn't figure out until I read it online...)

• Love 3