Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Grand Re-Opening

fishcakes

In the Season 3 premiere, the Cloud 9 employees rush to finish re-building the store in time for its grand re-opening. At the same time, Amy and Jonah confront their awkward kiss; Glenn discovers something about himself; and Garrett avoids Jonah. In other events, Mateo worries about the voicemail he left on Jeff's phone; and Dina meets her match.

Happy to make a return trip to Cloud Nine. I was sure Garrett's reluctance to let Jonah move in was because Dina was already living there, just to make for a shocking reveal.

Jeff's rug was hilarious! That actor's been bald since his My Boys days, which was a good 10 years ago.

I'm kind of disappointed that we went straight to the re-opening. I had been looking forward to maybe seeing the group scattered working at other Cloud Nines. I hope they show us one of those Cloud Nine signature stores at some point.

Sandra better watch her back, and poor Jerry! Glad he's recovering. Where the HELL is Brett? This shit ain't funny, bring him back already. He was my favorite background character and from the looks of the actor's IMDB page, this is his first and only gig. Keep him employed!

The gag with the photo blown up of a fake aisle killed me.

Side note: Do NOT google the titles of any upcoming episodes, the title for the next one is a spoiler. However, if you WANT to be spoiled, it's called:

Spoiler

Brett is Dead

Actually now that I think about it, when the new episode thread for next week is posted here you'll all know soon anyway.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 2

I loved it.  My favorite part was that Amy told Jonah that she's getting divorced and they had that whole conversation in minions suits.  I know a lot of people are a big fan of that pairing but I love them and that was a great way to handle that.

• Love 16

Did anyone catch Garrett's house rules? I don't want to wait for Hulu to post the episode, and I missed the ending tonight.

It was driving me crazy how much time Our Heroes were wasting after making a point with the nameless staff that they had to hurry. It's not unrealistic because people are like that, but it drives me crazy in real life, too.

I LOOOOOVED the conversation about how the memo was unclear as to what the opening date was. In another show forum we've been talking about the Oxford comma. So, yeah-- I love the nerd stuff.

I'm sorry, did I miss it but did they not mention Brett? That sucks!

I am sad about Jerry!!! 

Has Jeff been working out? Anyways, wouldn't mind if Mateo hooks up with the constructed worker. 

Superstore is stressing me out with the sadness. 

ETA: I am rewatching the episode, and I missed Dina saying no one knows where Brett is. Oh no!!!

Edited by memememe76
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Did anyone catch Garrett's house rules? I don't want to wait for Hulu to post the episode, and I missed the ending tonight.

The true reason for my DVR is here! 

-Do not touch Garrett's video game stuff

-No talking during Game of Thrones

-No cooking fish

-Leave Garrett out of Jonah's coffee making process 

-He doesn't like fragrant soaps

-On Wednesday Garrett's black friends come over so Jonah cannot be around 

-Parking spots: Jonah doesn't get one

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

-No cooking fish

Thank you!!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

-No cooking fish

Those actually seem fairly reasonable. Especially cooking fish. 

3 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I am sad about Jerry!!! 

Me too, but he's getting better, so that's a good sign. Meanwhile, Carol and Sandra still want each other to be dead.

Amy maybe half-jokingly propositioned Jonah. 

He really shouldn't stay with Glenn's family so I'm glad he's with Garrett. He dated Glenn's daughter., Kristen. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 6

Who is Brett? I don't remember him.

Not the strongest season premier, but not bad either. Still so glad to have this show back it always puts a smile on my face. Lots of good moments. I wish Mateo could just tell Jeff the real reason they broke up. 

And yeah . . . by far the best gag was the lady who ran into the giant photo of the aisle. That was probably my big LOL moment of the night. Great pay-off, Marcus!

• Love 3

Brett is this guy.

He was outside when the tornado hit and was unaccounted for after it. He would randomly appear from time to time. He was evidently their best employee. 

10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

And yeah . . . by far the best gag was the lady who ran into the giant photo of the aisle. That was probably my big LOL moment of the night. Great pay-off, Marcus!

That looked so real I would have probably done that too. 

• Love 6

Bitchy Mateo is the best Mateo. "Your toupee is garbage. You look like a fry cook."

17 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Leave Garrett out of Jonah's coffee making process 

Ha. And of course, of course, Jonah is a French press guy who has to tell people he's a French press guy. I like Jonah a lot, but if I were a coworker, I'd leave him in his FEMA trailer too.

• Love 10

So, two months..and no one knows about Brett? Whether missing our dead, they all should know by now.

Cute cameo by Howie! Apparently he was a good sport and actually did go to work as an employee for the day. Which made me laugh at the end when he wouldn't "perform" his ACTUAL job, because he was just signed on for an appearance. Yet, he apparently worked all day as a mniumn wage employee. 

• Love 7

Someone start a search party for Brett ASAP! He`s the glue that holds this whole operation together!

I cracked up over Glenn moving everybody all over the place so he can ramble about his crisis of faith, including dragging everyone on a 23 minute hike! That and the lady walking into the picture were my favorite jokes. 

I hope Jerry gets better soon! Before this feud between Carol and Sandra escalates into drive bys. 

• Love 4

Glenn:  "I hope you all had an amazing vacation."

Garrett:  "By vacation, you mean the two months we were laid off without pay???"

Sounds familiar.  When I worked retail, we had hurricanes roll through the area.  I don't think anybody was compensated, unless you actually had paid time off.

• Love 1

I can't think of anything I liked about this episode. All of the characters are pathetic, and the misunderstanding about the day of the re-opening was so artificial that it pissed me off. There is zero chance Jeff and Glen wouldn't have been in contact in two months, and there is an additional zero chance that Jeff wouldn't have checked on the progress until a few hours before re-opening. I also don't believe the others didn't talk during the reconstruction and that this was the time to catch-up on basic life events like, I dunno, being separated from your husband, being homeless or having a boyfriend in a coma. The exposition was artless.

Oh, and I want Carol and Myrtle to die. 

Edited by Kiddvideo
12 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I dunno, being separated from your husband, being homeless or having a boyfriend in a coma. The exposition was artless.

Why is Josh homeless, anyway. Doesn't he have enough money to rent an apartment on his own? He did before the tornado.

12 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Oh, and I want Carol and Myrtle to die. 

Hey, Carol I understand, but it might be bad karma to wish the death of a 90-year-old woman.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2

Does anyone know if the actor who plays Glenn has a different voice or does he use his REAL voice? My assumption has always been that he plays up the voice. And when Garrett made him aware of how annoying his voice is, I thought that the showrunners were listening to those of us who are put off by the voice....and we're giving him a chance to change. But, alas, no voice change.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, neuromom said:

Does anyone know if the actor who plays Glenn has a different voice or does he use his REAL voice? My assumption has always been that he plays up the voice. And when Garrett made him aware of how annoying his voice is, I thought that the showrunners were listening to those of us who are put off by the voice....and we're giving him a chance to change. But, alas, no voice change.

Oh, he's definitely doing a voice. Watch Kids in the Hall!

• Love 6
6 hours ago, ApathyMonger said:

Oh, he's definitely doing a voice. Watch Kids in the Hall!

Glenn used to be kinda hot. 

I liked this episode. Garrett continues to crack me up--people in wheelchairs need 2 bedrooms. For safety.  And his rules were hilarious. 

I liked Amy finally talking to Jonah about her marriage when she was a Minion. Costumes (and booze) do make it easier to open up sometimes.  I just realized that if Emma is 14, Amy and her husband have been married a little over 14 years. I wonder if they stuck it out this long because of Emma. 

Yeah, the fake aisle was the best gag ever. I've watched that clip a half-dozen times already. And I'm not done. 

Did Jeff ever confirm that he'd gotten Mateo's voicemail? Hard to believe they haven't spoken at all in 2 months  

• Love 3

I think it's realistic that the employees didn't talk during the reconstruction. I work retail and while I love the people I work with the only thing we have in common is work. We had a little over a week off because of the hurricane and the first day back everyone was just catching up with each other. 

I do agree that not knowing the date of the reopening wouldn't happen in real life but I thought it was funny lol. 

• Love 4
On 10/1/2017 at 5:27 PM, MaryHedwig said:

Why is Josh homeless, anyway. Doesn't he have enough money to rent an apartment on his own? He did before the tornado.

Jonah might be on a budget, and there might be a shortage of apartments within his area/budget if a whole lot of buildings were damaged. Could also be that he's waiting on a security check back, which would mean the landlord is waiting on FEMA or something. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, beachespeaches said:

I think it's realistic that the employees didn't talk during the reconstruction. I work retail and while I love the people I work with the only thing we have in common is work. We had a little over a week off because of the hurricane and the first day back everyone was just catching up with each other. 

I do agree that not knowing the date of the reopening wouldn't happen in real life but I thought it was funny lol. 

Yeah, I thought this was far and away the most realistic aspect of the episode. This show gets so much right about retail life. I loved my coworkers, but as soon as most of us moved on to other jobs, we lost touch and didn't have that common denominator - bitching about work - to fall back on. Many of us would never have even talked to one another in the first place if we didn't work together.

• Love 3

So I meant to post this when I first watched the show, but the best part for me was that Glenn completely misunderstood the email/dates. The beginning of the end for me at Borders was when my boss misunderstood an email and didn't have enough staff lined up for 2 weeks of overnights for a remodel, so she had me work the overnights because I was salaried and couldn't get overtime-but she was also going to be at a conference during the remodel, so I had to come in at like 6pm and leave at 10am in order to get store business done IN ADDITION TO the remodel.

All because she didn't read how many employees were needed. So yea, Glenn screwing up felt right out of my life!

• Love 4
On 10/4/2017 at 10:45 AM, questionfear said:

Jonah might be on a budget, and there might be a shortage of apartments within his area/budget if a whole lot of buildings were damaged. Could also be that he's waiting on a security check back, which would mean the landlord is waiting on FEMA or something. 

Good point. The tornado may have wiped out apartments, leaving many homeless. I’m not sure what the market is in the Midwest, but here in CA, it’s ALREADY rough to find housing- even if you have the money for sky high rents. And now, because of the fires (I’m in Northern CA, there are thousands more people that are totally homeless (as well as having lost everything). There just isn’t enough housing.