Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

I've always liked Amy, but the more she talks about her "Grandma shower" the more I dislike her..Is this something that people actually do? I've never in my life heard of a grandma shower. I understand wanting to be prepared for the baby, but imo Amy asking for baby gifts is really tacky and comes of as self centered and greedy. I wanted to be prepared when my grandson was born, too. We live paycheck to paycheck and I still managed to buy what I needed for him without asking for gifts. I wouldn't in a million years have asked my friends to have a shower for me, or to buy me baby gifts! Having a party with her friends to celebrate the babies is one thing, I understand that. What I don't understand is why Amy is ok with asking for gifts from her friends..especially since she has the farm, a reality show and a net worth of $4.5 Million!! I don't get it.

• Love 5

I'm not one to give Matt credit for much because he usually has blatant ulterior motives... but I'm watching the scene where he gives the boys rocking chairs and that was sweet. While it can be annoying when he constantly bemoans how hard life is for him being a little person, it was nice to see him so considerate to Zach. It sounds terrible, but it was kinda nice to see Jeremy was kinda the afterthought in this situation, it seems like that didn't happen often for them with Jer being the golden boy.

• Love 3

It *is* something people do but it's kinda gauche.

The thing I will forgive the grandma shower over is that I absolutely think it was tv show production driven.

I also think its very very noticeable that *Matt* has barely been filmed this season. The lack of projects aside from the pirate ship is pretty noticeable.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

I also think its very very noticeable that *Matt* has barely been filmed this season. The lack of projects aside from the pirate ship is pretty noticeable.

He's probably too busy boning the help for that kind of stuff. 

• Love 4

Chris wanted to meet Matt for several reasons one of which was that he is on Matt and Amy's property when he visits Amy. It's a courtesy thing- and he's right.  It's been 8 months, it's more than time.  If Amy and Chris have a future, Matt and Chris are going to have to get along. There will be family occasions where they will be in the same place. Especially if Amy continues to live on the farm. 

Jeremy and Audrey act as if Amy is a monster. Are they going to be those holier than thou parents that won't leave their child with Grandma - or parents that send their kids to Grandma every day and twice on Sundays? 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

Chris wanting to meet Matt because he's part owner of the farm was weird.  He should want to meet him because he's Amy's ex and father of their kids, not because of business dealings.

I took it as he wanted to meet him because he was part owner and would be running into him on the farm. If it were me, I'd like to meet him just to get the awkwardness over.

Also, apparently he wants to drive one of his tractors, so there's that ?

• Love 5

WTF  Setting boundaries?  And Matt is going to want you to work more on the farm.    I thought this is the farm Jeremy so desperately wanted.  They  are going to eat those words one day.   And the giggle Audj did when Jeremy said 'bless her heart'.   Me thinks Amy is not high on their list.  

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, winnter said:

WTF  Setting boundaries?  And Matt is going to want you to work more on the farm.    I thought this is the farm Jeremy so desperately wanted.  They  are going to eat those words one day.   And the giggle Audj did when Jeremy said 'bless her heart'.   Me thinks Amy is not high on their list.  

Maybe I misheard, but didn't he say he was excited to be back because they would be living near Zach and Tori? No mention of Matt and Amy? 

• Love 2

I think Zach and Tori need their own show (but something tells me that TLC would add Jeremy and Redzie to show too which would make it unbearable for me to watch.    I just love how Z & T are so sincere, naive, excited and just 'new parents'.    And baby Jackson is so darn cute!

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Jackson is the cutest baby ever. 

Is it true that they take the mother's intestines out during a C-section??  Why have I never heard this?   *runs away screaming*

When I was in nursing school I was in the OR for a c-section, and while they did not pull the intestines out, they did pull all the placenta and all that out and just throw it into a biohazard box under the table... I was a little concerned some intestines could have been mixed in, it didn't seem like they looked too closely. What also weirded me out was the smell... I had been sent out of the room to get the dad and when we came back it smelled like burning, they were cauterizing while making the incision. It made perfect sense, but you never think about that when you see stuff on tv like greys anatomy (it also didn't help the the on/gyn actually looked like Addison Sheppard).

• Love 2

I bet the nights that these episodes air is cringe-worthy for Jer and Auj when they open mouth and insert foot.  Zach and Tori are very conscious of not bad mouthing their family on air. 

Amy and Matt also could use a refresher course sometimes. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Awfarmington said:

Maybe I misheard, but didn't he say he was excited to be back because they would be living near Zach and Tori? No mention of Matt and Amy? 

He did say that, and it seemed very pointed. I get that they are over the drama, but much of it is scripted and they are fully participating. They must be very disappointed they weren't handed the keys to the farm when Matt and Amy divorced.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

He did say that, and it seemed very pointed. I get that they are over the drama, but much of it is scripted and they are fully participating. They must be very disappointed they weren't handed the keys to the farm when Matt and Amy divorced.

Thanks for clarifying. I was multitasking while watching tonight and sometimes miss things, but I guess I did hear correctly. I've said it before, I'm not a fan of Matt or Amy. But I do feel bad for them in this case. Imagine watching your son on national television basically say he doesn't give a $hit about living near you or being happy that you'll be in the grandchild's life. Also, how dare Amy possibly have them over to eat too often. And how dare Matt ask his son to help on the farm that he will take over one day. 

• Love 5

I totally get that having Matt and Amy as parents (and grandparents to your child) would be a bit stressful, but damn, it is so off-putting to hear the kids talk on national television about maybe having to "set boundaries" with them when the baby comes.  Jeremy and Audrey are particularly guilty of this.  Do they not know how arrogant it sounds?  I bet they'll sing a different tune when they want to "get a break" and "focus on themselves."  I also bet that will happen with increasing frequency as time goes on.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

I totally get that having Matt and Amy as parents (and grandparents to your child) would be a bit stressful, but damn, it is so off-putting to hear the kids talk on national television about maybe having to "set boundaries" with them when the baby comes.  Jeremy and Audrey are particularly guilty of this.  Do they not know how arrogant it sounds?  I bet they'll sing a different tune when they want to "get a break" and "focus on themselves."  I also bet that will happen with increasing frequency as time goes on.

I really hope Amy and Matt are frequently occupied with their new love interests and are too busy to even need 'boundaries'.

Maybe I was just a moochy new mom, but when I had my first son, my MIL had us over usually twice a week for dinner. I loved it. She is a great cook and I liked the break from cooking when I was operating on little sleep. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Awfarmington said:

I really hope Amy and Matt are frequently occupied with their new love interests and are too busy to even need 'boundaries'.

Maybe I was just a moochy new mom, but when I had my first son, my MIL had us over usually twice a week for dinner. I loved it. She is a great cook and I liked the break from cooking when I was operating on little sleep. 

That sounds really nice and thoroughly normal.  Jeremy and Audrey don't seem like the types to be into that sort of thing.  Ugh.  These people irritate the crap out of me.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Willowsmom said:

Could Jer have looked more miserable  during the bonfire . He really isn't into this pregnancy .

Hahahahaahaha.  I thought the same exact thing during the bonfire.  Debbie Downer.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, winnter said:

Hahahahaahaha.  I thought the same exact thing during the bonfire.  Debbie Downer.

He looked ready to chew off his wedding ring finger  and make a break for freedom.

• Love 2

Jerm seems pissed that his plan are not going as he planned. He thought he would get the big house and he would be able to play on the farm like when he was a kid....it's no fun to be a grown up and have responsibilities. 

• Love 2

More manufactured drah-ma from the hispsters...."Oh no!  We can't get the keys!  We'll be homeless!"  Um?  Not really a big deal for you 2 dolts.  All your stuff is safely packed up.  You have 2 sets of parents living close to your new house, so you could park the truck on one of their driveways, and sleepover 1-2 nights until everything clears.  In the end (of course) they did get the keys, but it was dumb to think the audience would be in turmoil over their no-key plight.  It isn't an uncommon or unique hiccup in the moving process.  As for Odd planting herself in a chair in the new garage while the friends moved the boxes...I get that it was 1) common sense for a pregnant woman not to lift and lug 2) have someone direct where to put stuff & 3) setup by production.  However, did Odd have to sit in the middle of the traffic flow, between the path from the truck to the house?  They couldn't have put her chair a little more out of the way?  And please Jerk & Odd- stop calling your baby "Baby Girl".  That just irks.  It's probably just me because I have a cousin who used to call his girlfriend/wife "Baby Girl" while grinding up on her and publicly mauling her at all the family events.  Then they had a daughter and they called her "Baby Girl". Eeeww.

I think baby Jackson is so damn cute!  Oooh, that widdle face!  I was squeeeing away with all his scenes, and I am not a sentimental sap.  Question about the little mitts Jackson had on in almost every scene...  I know they have mittens for infants so they don't scratch their faces with their nails.  But I never saw that done to newborns before.  Is that something new to help keep their hands warm?  Or just to prevent scratching?  How long are his nails anyway?  Couldn't the hospital just trim them?  I remember my daughter's nails at that stage were so soft and pliable, it was supper easy to trim them, even without a clipper (I was petrified that I'd cut her with the nail clips!).  Anyway...ooh sooo cuuute!!  Congrats again to Tori & Zach.

• Love 4

I like Chris with Amy.  He seems fond of her.  I understand why Amy was reluctant to have him meet Matt- I would not be wild about my boyfriend wanting to meet my EX but then again I do not live with my EX on a farm.  

Thought the way they handled the birth was very classy.  Am tired of all the cameras in the birthing room.  And Amy went home!  C-sections do not take long- it was nice that the families gave them their space.  

Audrey sure has a way of getting in the way....sitting right smack in the middle of the garage.  My bf pointed it out, he said why is she sitting there?  I said well...she is pregnant...he said no, she is in the way!  LOL...

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Awfarmington said:

But I do feel bad for them in this case. Imagine watching your son on national television basically say he doesn't give a $hit about living near you or being happy that you'll be in the grandchild's life

Compare that to Zach and Tori pulling in to their driveway with baby Jackson , and Tori crying upon seeing the cute stork on the lawn and nice landscaping Matt and Amy did for them. 

Zach + Tori= appreciative and grateful

Jer + Aug= ungrateful assholes 

• Love 14

Is it customary now days to go home and wait for the call that your first born grandchild has arrived? I mean you're at the hospital, they wheel your DIL in for surgery and you leave, labor is one thing it could go on for hours, but the baby will be here in a matter of less than an hour after they take you back. Just weird to me. 

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

Is it customary now days to go home and wait for the call that your first born grandchild has arrived? I mean you're at the hospital, they wheel your DIL in for surgery and you leave, labor is one thing it could go on for hours, but the baby will be here in a matter of less than an hour after they take you back. Just weird to me. 

I thought it was weird too...but maybe they asked for privacy and it was not shown.

As a new grandma myself, I try to be very aware of stepping on toes! I remove myself and wait, OR if I see a need, I will offer help or a suggestion.  I'll say, "...just another option. If you want." Its so hard!  But other grandma is failing in that area, and it's driving the new little family crazy!

I feel Amy's struggle!

That baby is so adorable. He looks like Tori, and seems already so alert. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

And Amy went home!  C-sections do not take long- it was nice that the families gave them their space.  

All of the hospitals around here encourage visitors to not be sitting around waiting to see the baby, but wait at home for the news and when the parents will be up to visitors.  In fact they have a mandatory two hour or longer period of bonding for the new parents and baby.  Torie would have had time in recovery plus the family time before the relatives would have been allowed in.  They only live a relatively short drive away so it made sense to go home.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

It *is* something people do but it's kinda gauche.

The thing I will forgive the grandma shower over is that I absolutely think it was tv show production driven.

This is the first time I've heard of a grandma shower.  But did Amy throw it for herself?  Which is super tacky.  Or did her friends throw it for, which is the standard for showers right?  If her friends threw it for her, she could've declined but I won't give her that much grief over it.  I'm sure the first grandchild in a family is a big deal.

I would like my mom to be in the hospital with me when I give birth.  This will be her first grandchild in 7 years and its my (her oldest child) first child.  If my mother in law wanted to be at the hospital I wouldn't object either.  I think close, immediate family is okay.  I wouldn't want a million visitors, but some here or there won't bother me.

I went to visit my cousin in the hospital when she gave birth 2 years ago.  I just happened to be in town and I went the following day in the evening.  My mom and I were the only ones there with her until her mom came.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Question about the little mitts Jackson had on in almost every scene...  I know they have mittens for infants so they don't scratch their faces with their nails.  But I never saw that done to newborns before.  Is that something new to help keep their hands warm?  Or just to prevent scratching?  How long are his nails anyway?  Couldn't the hospital just trim them?  I remember my daughter's nails at that stage were so soft and pliable, it was supper easy to trim them, even without a clipper (I was petrified that I'd cut her with the nail clips!).  Anyway...ooh sooo cuuute!!  Congrats again to Tori & Zach.

I noticed them, too.  When my now-16-year-old daughter was an infant, I was told to wait a couple of months to cut her nails, but to use the mittens.  Like you, I was terrified of accidentally cutting her with the clippers.  I learned about the importance of the mittens the hard way.  In my exhaustion, I neglected to put them on her hands one night and woke up in the morning, excited to see her little face for the first time that day.  I was horrified to find two tiny dots of blood on either side of her face from where she'd accidentally scratched herself.  I never forgot those mittens again.  Oh, to be 23-years-old again and scared to death that I would do the wrong thing.  Now, if I get through the day without wanting to wring my beautiful, hilarious, smartass daughter's neck, we're doing well!  (Kidding, of course, but parents of teens will totally get what I'm saying.)

If I had to choose the likely better parent of the two twins, I'd go with Zach all the way.  Jer(emy) acts like the mere thought of being a father -especially to a girl- bores him to tears.  I'm sure he'll consider himself a parenting expert at the three-month mark, much the same way he and Audrey opine on the challenges of marriage (and offer advice!) on the show and on their website.  

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 13