Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E14: Casting the First Stone

Diane Mars
  • Start Topic

Holy crap! I was sure the fix was in for Cleen. To be honest I probably would have sent Matt and Katie home. Their goddess was pretty, but the arm was wonky and there was no way anyone would have gotten the idea that she was standing in the sun. Of course, it was a black and gray tattoo, but there should still be ways to make it more obvious that it was the sun, like adding rays. Basilica's was kind of bad, too, with that mask and the faded banners. Much as I'm not a fan of Cleen, I would have sent either of them home before him.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 2

Nunez was HEARTBROKEN over that decision. I swear I amost saw tears. As soon as he saw those hands were jacked, he was scrambling to find greater flaws in the other tattoos to have them at the ready. I agree, though-- the other tattoos had just as big of issues. A lighter sky in Katie and Matt's  would've made a big difference. 

• Love 5

I really don't think anything was as bad as those hands.  the other tattos has little issues, but add to it that I don't think the Buddha was really in a Japanese style either, it was more cartoony. Clean will just have to wait until the next show when they bring him back.,  I wonder how long they have to draw the art before tattooing it?

• Love 3

I used to really like Cleen, but Nunez has made me almost despise him.  Being sent home kind of brought back my affection for him.

Nunez kept harping on "story" but what exactly was the story in "goofy, funny fictional character".  I really wanted wanted to Cleen to repeat the fictional character part while Nunez was tossing down his Hotei knowledge.

I grit my teeth whenever he drags out the old "report card" gambit.  Which only seems to  matter when he is trying to desperately justify keeping an inferior tattoo.  Got to use that sparingly, Chris, two weeks in a row is overkill.

My love for Dave only grew after he stuck to his guns and sided with Ollie, even knowing it meant that Nunez was going to ignore his texts and refuse to meet for mimosas and brunch the next day.

I loved Doom trying to throw Erin under the bus with the color thing and she just looks at him like, "bitch, please".  He should change his name to Samsonite as much as Erin has had to lug him around.  Which would actually be an improvement over his current moniker, come to think of it....

Edited by Sile
To crack on Doom
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Sile said:

I loved Doom trying to throw Erin under the bus with the color thing and she just looks at him like, "bitch, please".  He should change his name to Samsonite as much as Erin has had to lug him around.  Which would actually be an improvement over his current moniker, come to think of it....

I already disliked Doom, but that made me really despise him more than even St Marq. Blame the woman who has carried your lame ass through the competition? Utter garbage. 

I was afraid Matt and Katie lost. I mistakenly looked at Facebook earlier, and Matt had posted some complimentary stuff about Cleen and the revelation that Aaron gives a good lap dance. The way he phrased it, though, left me wondering if he was gone or Cleen was gone. 

Anyway... YAAAAAAAY! 

I think Old Town just might take this, with Matt getting to the final to come up short again. Either Unkindness (fuck, but I hate that name) or Basilica goes next, I suspect. 

• Love 2

Loved the flash challenge because the camouflage challenge is always my favorite on Skin Wars!

Doom Kitten can STFU. After being the albatross around Erin's neck, he's going to throw her under the bus about the shade of blue that was used in their tattoo? Ugh. I know that my issue is with this season's team/shop format, but I loathe the fact that he is still in this competition when he is clearly the dead weight among the remaining competitors.

Glad to see that Nunez is still rocking his Golden Girls collection of beaded necklaces. I really want to see a behind the scenes shot of his jewelry cabinet full of beaded necklaces in every color.

• Love 4

I don't know what doom was thinking. She's on your team dude! Don't join in the criticism of your own tattoo.

I thought the judging of the flash challenge was ridiculous. That bird woman was tons better than just another "paint over the body" job. Especially the way it seemed like the front wing married to the background. That was good stuff. Giving Cleen that win smacked of a setup. I couldn't be happier he blew it. 

And I make this comment every season:It's now season 9. We don't need to waste time every episode with cutaways to nodding heads and high-fives every time the prize is discussed. It's so fake. Those are obviously outtakes from other scenes. They would not act like they're hearing this for the first time every time. Ink Master and Top Chef do that gimmick every week and it's just stupid and artificial. 

• Love 8

LOL, yes, hauling out the "report card" is pretty transparent.  Cry me a river, Nunez.

The black and grey piece was lovely--but if she's supposed to be a particular figure with standard identifying elements and they're missing, there's a problem.  Not quite sure how the sun is traditionally meshed with a woman standing in a cave, but if that's how you know it's the Goddess:  nope.

Even more faulty wrt backstory was the mask.  I wasn't following closely enough, but there's a "ghost in the machine" angle?  Fail.

So Cleen Rock One got shafted.  ::shrug::  He's been the beneficiary of many shaftings, most recently when that Bird Woman got brushed aside for his invisible third dimension piece.

And HOW FUNNY was the naked guy in painted fatigues crouching against the wall?? 

(Those three disparate interpretations of the "Cohesion" challenge make me think that, for the millionth time, it wasn't explained very well what they were expected to achieve.)

Bye Cleen!  Catch you next time, buddy.

• Love 2

I could not be happier to see Cleen go, well done Dave. I agree Nunez looked teary. 

Wasn't a fan of the melting calves on Doom (stfu dickhead) deity. Or Christian getting away with not meeting the challenge yet again. Or the fqded colour palette of the winning tattoo.  But I forgive all in my absolute joy in seeing Cleen go.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Loved the flash challenge because the camouflage challenge is always my favorite on Skin Wars!

Doom Kitten can STFU. After being the albatross around Erin's neck, he's going to throw her under the bus about the shade of blue that was used in their tattoo? Ugh. I know that my issue is with this season's team/shop format, but I loathe the fact that he is still in this competition when he is clearly the dead weight among the remaining competitors.

Glad to see that Nunez is still rocking his Golden Girls collection of beaded necklaces. I really want to see a behind the scenes shot of his jewelry cabinet full of beaded necklaces in every color.

Not to mention the impressive collection of old man cardigans in his closet.  Mr. Rogers would be jealous.

Cleen is a talented tattooer, but he is very set in his ways.  He actually f'ed himself with his own skull picks.  I think there was probably a hope that Kleen's team, Black Cobra, and Basilica would make the final three.  I am happy Oliver and Dave stood up to the producers.  A true Ink Master knows where thumbs are supposed to go.

Christian usually plays a smart game...why the hell was he playing it so safe, that it almost felt like he is not trying?  He usually does not do this, so it felt kinda fishy.

Doom is dead to me..way to bite the hand that feeds you.

• Love 1

I don't have an issue with the report card being brought in, so long as it's consistent.  In other words, the report card factors in once we get down to 5 inktestants/teams.  This is so much like meeting the challenge - - some weeks it's super important, other weeks it's the lesser of the criteria they use to judge.

The Buddha hands were terrible.  How did neither Cleen nor Aaron see that?  And while I understand that Katie and Matt wanted for Golden Skull to sink themselves, I think of the canvas that is going to have jacked hands on her body. 

Katie and Matt are both good artists but I'm ready for them to go.  They are both so full of themselves that it was satisfying to see them get a smackdown and then sweat it.  Overall, I agree with Nunez and I would have sent them packing.  If the tattoo is supposed to be an accurate representation of a deity, they missed the mark.   If the deity was supposed to be a full body depiction, Basilica also missed the mark. 

I don't think this season is doing any favors for Christian.  I thought his work was showcased much better during his initial season.  I didn't like how he was preparing to throw Noelin (sp?) under the bus.  I think N was right - - Christian has been playing it safe and skating through.

I may stand alone but I hated Unkindness' tattoo.  I thought it was ugly.  How it could have been in contention for best tattoo of the day is beyond me.   Also beyond me, how they have lasted longer than Cleen and Aaron.

I'm thrilled that Old Town won best tattoo.  Their work, in the flash challenge and in the elimination challenge, was spot on.  I'm rooting for them to take it.

• Love 5

I second whoever says Nunez makes them hate Cleen.  I'm glad he left.  He's a good tatooer, but he's overexposed on this show, and Nunez's total lack of objectivity when it comes to his work drags down the show whenever he's on it.  I remember the LAST time they brought him back (Revenge?), the judges overlooked several crap tattoos in a row in order to keep him around.

I have not enjoyed this season very much because of the vets/favoritism angle.  Please no more vets vs. newbies seasons!  Just do an All-Stars version every 5 seasons or so, or bring a favorite back as a guest judge or whatever.  Too much irrelevant in-drama when the old guys return and get thrown in with the unknowns.

And yes, screw Doom.  Aren't he and Erin also a couple?  Or am I getting them confused with another team that already left? If my SO tossed me under the bus like that, there would be a serious problem.

• Love 2

Well well well.  That was a bit of a surprise.  You can't let incorrect anatomy slide by.  You just can't.  Incorrect anatomy is far more egregious than pretty much anything else.

Erin's going to need a chiropractor after this season... her back has to be in pain after carrying the Pussy of Doom all season long,

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Rancide said:

And yes, screw Doom.  Aren't he and Erin also a couple?  Or am I getting them confused with another team that already left? If my SO tossed me under the bus like that, there would be a serious problem.

I don't believe they are a couple.  He's only been with Unkindness for a few months.  I'm pretty sure the shop is run by Erin and Teresa Sharpe, who won Best Ink a couple years ago (which would make Erin his boss).  I may be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Edited by AlliePK
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, Rancide said:

I second whoever says Nunez makes them hate Cleen.  I'm glad he left.  He's a good tatooer, but he's overexposed on this show, and Nunez's total lack of objectivity when it comes to his work drags down the show whenever he's on it.  I remember the LAST time they brought him back (Revenge?), the judges overlooked several crap tattoos in a row in order to keep him around.

I have not enjoyed this season very much because of the vets/favoritism angle.  Please no more vets vs. newbies seasons!  Just do an All-Stars version every 5 seasons or so, or bring a favorite back as a guest judge or whatever.  Too much irrelevant in-drama when the old guys return and get thrown in with the unknowns.

The worst part was that it served no purpose.  Erin is on his team and at the end of the day what he puts on his canvas is his responsibility.  It is not like Erin held a gun to his head and forced him to use that scratchy blue.

34 minutes ago, AlliePK said:

I don't believe they are a couple.  He's only been with Unkindness for a few months.  I'm pretty sure the shop is run by Erin and Teresa Sharpe, who won Best Ink a couple years ago (which would make Erin his boss).  I may be wrong, but I don't think I am.

I hope he is ready to find a new job.  I strongly suggest not using any tattoo he did on the show in his portfolio.

• Love 2

but the golden skull committed two serious errors in the tattoo,  one was the hands error, every picture of laughing buddha on line has the thumbs facing forward, so their error was unique to them. But the second problem was the fact that they did a cartoon buddha tattoo instead of a japanese style tattoo.  i.e. did not do the style requested.  they love their cartoon style. 

I also see, online, that japanese tattoos are known for limited pallets, so perhaps the color error was a bigger problem than I thought watching. Finding a definitionof the style on-line is hard. . 

• Love 2

Shocker! Dave didn't seem to care for Nunez "body of work" argument and it almost seemed like the judging was a "real" moment. ...but more likely they have just decided someone other than Cleen is the chosen one. I mean surely the outcome is discussed in advance, yes? 

I don't think this season has been fair. Not only having vet teams who've been through the competition before against newbies, but bringing the vets in way late in the game, while the newbies have had to make it through every challenge. No way they are letting Unkindness Arts go, cuz then, what is the point of all this?!     

• Love 2

I almost never talk to the TV because the TV doesn't listen, but for real I let out a whooping HAHAHA when Cleen was booted. Nunez just needs to suck Cleen's dick already and get it out of his system. 

The flash challenge win was one of the most egregious judging mistakes ever on the show. Am I wrong? Golden Skull made the focal point and about half the painting flat black, which a grade schooler could match with the human. Excuse me, the "3D."

(You know you've been watching too much Scientology TV when "3D" means the third dynamic.)

• Love 3

The bottom three tattoos all had issues.  Any of them could legitimately have been voted off.  If a tattoo doesn't meet the required criteria, should that be an automatic elimination?  I don't recall if it was specified or not but Basilica's was not a full body deity.   By the same token, Black Cobra's was the only one without color.  Golden Skull's was easily recognizable but was it in the so-called Asian style?

Ink Master is very fickle about how they judge and what the criteria is.   I remember back on Kruseman's season there was a big uproar about how did not meet the challenge whatsoever and yet was not eliminated.

Anyhow . . . I think the concept for this season would have been better if everyone started at day one.  The vets have an advantage as is, being that they have previously competed.  Having them coming in later and doing less work is another advantage. 

I said this in last week's thread but I also think the voting might be more unbiased if the judges didn't know which teams inked which canvas. 

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Shocker! Dave didn't seem to care for Nunez "body of work" argument and it almost seemed like the judging was a "real" moment. ...but more likely they have just decided someone other than Cleen is the chosen one. I mean surely the outcome is discussed in advance, yes? 

I don't think this season has been fair. Not only having vet teams who've been through the competition before against newbies, but bringing the vets in way late in the game, while the newbies have had to make it through every challenge. No way they are letting Unkindness Arts go, cuz then, what is the point of all this?!     

This really annoys me.  In the intro to one of the challenges, Dave even made the comment about the number of teams they had "bested" to still be there.  Yeah, not so much, Dave.  Some teams have had to compete much longer than other teams.  Each week is another chance to go home.  I agree with what so many have said, no more vets vs. newbies seasons.  They are unbalanced and unfair.  Just do an all star season.  They can crown Kleen then and be done with it.

• Love 3

I second the idea of blind judging.  I suggested awhile back that Nunez (ugh) and Peck should be mentors.  Navarro should host.  And they should bring in different judges each week to keep the eyes fresh.  That would make it more fair.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, Sile said:

This is made worse because when the judges criticized Doom a couple of weeks back, Erin had his back and placed the blame on herself and not him. Even though it was all him.

I'm glad Cleen is gone. He's good, but it felt like there was a fix for him to win and that just made me root harder for him to leave.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Any of them could legitimately have been voted off.  If a tattoo doesn't meet the required criteria, should that be an automatic elimination?  I don't recall if it was specified or not but Basilica's was not a full body deity.   

It wasn't specified that it had to be full body. They (or Christian) made a stylistic choice, and Nunez was looking for a way to save Cleen. Otherwise, I don't think it would have been an issue. It still included elements of the Japanese style, unlike Cleen and Aaron, who went with cartoon instead. 

As for the vets/newbies dynamic, this is the exact same format as the season Anthony Michaels won. Two of the three finalists (Anthony and Christian) were newbies. So, while I don't like it, it doesn't necessarily mean much. A good newbie team is unlikely to go home early, because the field is more crowded with expendables. 

On the other hand, the master/apprentice season (Matt and Katie's first) where they all competed the entire time ended with all masters in the final. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

This really annoys me.  In the intro to one of the challenges, Dave even made the comment about the number of teams they had "bested" to still be there.  Yeah, not so much, Dave.  Some teams have had to compete much longer than other teams.  

Ha, I know, right? When Dave said that, I thought uh, haven't some of the vet teams only been through like two or three challenges at this point? They haven't bested a bunch of teams! All they had to do was not be the absolute worst of a bunch of shitty teams two or three times. 

2 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

It wasn't specified that it had to be full body. They (or Christian) made a stylistic choice, and Nunez was looking for a way to save Cleen. Otherwise, I don't think it would have been an issue. It still included elements of the Japanese style, unlike Cleen and Aaron, who went with cartoon instead. 

Normally I kind of roll my eyes when the contestants "defend" their tattoos aka argue with them by trying to rationalize their bad decisions/poor tattoo skills and pointing out that someone else's mistakes were more egregious. But in this instance, I thought that Christian's response was fair (if you tattooed only the head/face of Jesus, you would still know it's Jesus), especially since we didn't hear anything in the challenge requirements saying that the deity had to full body. Nunez was just trying to find a reason to put down anyone who wasn't Cleen. 

• Love 6

I went back and rewatched the part where they were drawing their sketch - Aaron questioned Cleen back then as to why the thumbs were on the inside and Cleen told him thumbs on top - that's the way it goes - so Cleen owns this loss. I personally didn't like the winning tattoo - I thought it looked washed out and reminded me of an ugly circus clown juggling - I was surprised they won. I also thought Matt and Katie should have won the flash challenge although I did like Cleens.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I agree.  I think this season was Cleen's to lose and he lost it big time.  It reminded me of the time when Kleen lost to Jason.  Cleen was supposed to do photo realism for the finale and he ignored the brief and did what he wanted.  Here he hated the style and proudly said he did not even know what a deity was.  I do not know how he is Nunez's pet when he is so disdainful of his beloved Japanese/Asian style of tattoo.

48 minutes ago, tessat said:

I went back and rewatched the part where they were drawing their sketch - Aaron questioned Cleen back then as to why the thumbs were on the inside and Cleen told him thumbs on top - that's the way it goes - so Cleen owns this loss. I personally didn't like the winning tattoo - I thought it looked washed out and reminded me of an ugly circus clown juggling - I was surprised they won. I also thought Matt and Katie should have won the flash challenge although I did like Cleens.

This is the best part, the loss was totally Kleen.  You know he would have loved to blame this on his partner.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, tessat said:

And... they said this in front of Katie, who took it and ran with it. That's how she was tipped off in the first place. If she hadn't overheard maybe the sneak by.

• Love 2
On 9/14/2017 at 10:03 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Normally I kind of roll my eyes when the contestants "defend" their tattoos aka argue with them by trying to rationalize their bad decisions/poor tattoo skills and pointing out that someone else's mistakes were more egregious. But in this instance, I thought that Christian's response was fair (if you tattooed only the head/face of Jesus, you would still know it's Jesus), especially since we didn't hear anything in the challenge requirements saying that the deity had to full body. Nunez was just trying to find a reason to put down anyone who wasn't Cleen. 

I think the Jesus argument was reasonable but not really relevant.  Christian chose to take an easy option and just tattooed the mask, in the challenge brief it was about cohesion and taking the different elements of the deity to tell the story in a cohesive design.  By just doing the mask he was relying on his teams technical skills of doing a quality tattoo and totally ignored the cohesive brief.  Having said that I would have been happy for any of the bottom 3 to go based on the tattoos that did.

I did find it funny how they were pumping up defending their tattoos saying it would be a pit fight and i think its going to be a lot more of a fight than people realize.  And then it was a total fizzer, next to nothing happened.  Doom throwing Erin under the bus was more exciting.

God, that was satisfying seeing Nunez scrambling to keep his beloved Cleen in the competition and failing.

I fucking hate that he brought out the report card thing. Any other time, that's be a big no-no, but he tried everything he could and thank god, it wasn't enough. I almost had a moment of panic, when I thought Dave was gonna succumb to Nunez's pleas and send Matt and Katie home: so glad he didn't.

Doom, shut the fuck up, you useless little bitch. Erin has carried your arse through this whole competition and you shit on her like that? I hope she tells you to fuck well and truly off after the show is done.

• Love 2
On 9/18/2017 at 10:29 AM, aussieinsydney said:

God, that was satisfying seeing Nunez scrambling to keep his beloved Cleen in the competition and failing.

I fucking hate that he brought out the report card thing. Any other time, that's be a big no-no, but he tried everything he could and thank god, it wasn't enough. I almost had a moment of panic, when I thought Dave was gonna succumb to Nunez's pleas and send Matt and Katie home: so glad he didn't.

Doom, shut the fuck up, you useless little bitch. Erin has carried your arse through this whole competition and you shit on her like that? I hope she tells you to fuck well and truly off after the show is done.

OT - nice to see another Aussie in here! Hi from QLD

• Love 1

Apparently, Matt and Katie have been getting hate mail and harassment on social media because they didn't save Cleen from his stupidity last week. Matt posted on Facebook some explanation telling people to leave Katie alone and get over it. Cleen fans appear to include a bunch of scumbags. 

• Love 2

Cleen has spent three seasons talking his shit up and gloating. It's the same kind of trash talk that goes on in sports. If Cleen's fragile fanbase can't take it after supporting one of the biggest mouths that ever played the game, they seriously need some psychological help. Maybe Megan Jean cloned herself and has taken to being an asshole on social media, but I doubt it. People who send hate messages on social media are some of the biggest losers on the planet. And over a TV show!! 

I laughed right along with Katie, seeing this buffoon fuck himself up. People expecting anything from her as far as saving his ass don't care about bad tattoos, or they would be hating on the skull assignments. They are just deluded denizens of the Internet with no perspective on what actually matters in life. And they have a weird obsession with a dude who isn't smart enough to know what the word "deity" means.. 

• Love 5

Based on Cleen's reaction when he was told that the thumbs were wrong, he probably wouldn't have changed them even if Katie had nicely informed him before he started tattooing the client. He is so convinced that everything he does is The Best Ever and that he doesn't make mistakes so I'm guessing his reaction would have been the same no matter what her tone was or when she told him. "They're supposed to look like that! He's holding a ball!"

• Love 5

If she'd told him, I doubt he would have believed her, yeah. Aaron might have but probably would have been shut down by cleen claiming it was just Katie playing head games. 

He seemed pretty practiced in the art of defending fucked up anatomy mistakes so I would bet money that's not the first set of backwards hands on a tattoo that he's had to bullshit someone about after the fact. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Based on Cleen's reaction when he was told that the thumbs were wrong, he probably wouldn't have changed them even if Katie had nicely informed him before he started tattooing the client. He is so convinced that everything he does is The Best Ever and that he doesn't make mistakes so I'm guessing his reaction would have been the same no matter what her tone was or when she told him. "They're supposed to look like that! He's holding a ball!"

7 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

Cleen has spent three seasons talking his shit up and gloating. It's the same kind of trash talk that goes on in sports. If Cleen's fragile fanbase can't take it after supporting one of the biggest mouths that ever played the game, they seriously need some psychological help. Maybe Megan Jean cloned herself and has taken to being an asshole on social media, but I doubt it. People who send hate messages on social media are some of the biggest losers on the planet. And over a TV show!! 

I laughed right along with Katie, seeing this buffoon fuck himself up. People expecting anything from her as far as saving his ass don't care about bad tattoos, or they would be hating on the skull assignments. They are just deluded denizens of the Internet with no perspective on what actually matters in life. And they have a weird obsession with a dude who isn't smart enough to know what the word "deity" means.. 

9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Well, that's stupid. Even if you're in an alliance, it's not your job to fix someone else's mistakes. 

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Lord, do your remember that red headed lady who was obsessed with Cleen and he seemed so not into her.  That was the year the stupid jury got to vote on one of the top two in the finale.  The woman would cut a bitch if they did not vote for him.  The Cleen fangurls just need to calm the fuck down and take a seat.  Aaron pointed out Cleen's mistake and he blew it off.

• Love 1