Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Battle for the South: Sweet Home Alabama

The remaining trucks must crack the most pecans in 15 minutes; teams must use their pecans in a dessert dish to sell on their trucks; the winner receives valuable mentoring time with Jan.

I'm definitely glad about the Stick people getting eliminated.  She still didn't understand at the end that it wasn't because their prices were too low, but because her grand plan for day 1 was to sit in the Sam's Club parking lot and have her son wear a rubber duck innertube.  

And while walking past a breakfast truck wouldn't really excite me very much, if it also included a really annoying guy on the sidewalk trying to convince me to stop by -- probably a dealbreaker to begin with -- but they also refused to post their prices, I would never stop by.  Why should I have to order something to find out how much it is?  That was such a dumb idea..

• Love 10

Lord honey, I’d be happier than a squirrel with two big nuts to shell the bejeebers outta a heap of armloads of pecans! These durn cookers should stop their pootin’ and put them’s elbow grease into them there silent grindin’!

Braised in the South still sounds like the name of a tanning salon that specializes in bronzing the bikini zone. As far the the Southern Frenchie is concerned . . . I have some ideas as well but, in the name of southern-fried decency, my lips are sealed.

I don’t know how much of it is editing, but the guy from Breakfast Squad comes across as a millennial version of Stephen Stucker’s performance in Airplane! I have mixed feelings about the political implications of that, but I can suppress them considering how dumb this show is.

Shona might not win this show, but if someone makes and Irene Ryan biopic in twenty or thirty years, I see big things in her future.

“I don’t fit in this duck” either sounds wildly problematic or like a caption for a New Yorker cartoon.

Forty minutes into the episode, I think the only thing that could make me watch next week would be if Shona rips off a mask and reveals herself to be Honey Boo Boo Child before 9:00.

In conclusion, "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" in a thick, nutty, juicy, Southern accent on a stick.

• Love 2

I couldn't really tell -- was the advice and advantage actually helpful to Braised in the South?  I know they won and got to continue on, but was the advantage at all responsible for some of their success?  Didn't really seem like it...

The two women who work with Mikey of the Breakfast Club are saints or zombies who can tune him out.  He is one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen in reality tv.  And that's saying a lot.

Another big nitpick -- the voice on the Frenchie's wife is HORRIBLE.  So annoying.  Her husband is another saint.

Glad to hear Esther in the Mr. Po Boys actually speak!  

Continue to love Tyler -- I just like the guy.

I'm not bummed that the Stick lady is gone but her sons sure are gems.  They are so patient and loving with her.  I'm sure after the death of their husband/dad, they became a formidable threesome and she does seem to be a very hard worker who picked herself up after that great loss and keeps on keepin' on.  Her parting words were lovely.  

I'm from the South so I liked hearing pecans pronounced the way I do -- puh-CONS.  :)

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I'm from the South so I liked hearing pecans pronounced the way I do -- puh-CONS.  :)

Me too. Except Southern Mama on a stick kept saying PEE-cons, and that was making me stabby. 

When I saw all those rubber mallets and then saw the pecans I laughed and wondered how long it would take them to toss aside the mallet and break the shells by squeezing two pecans against each other. Answer: not long :) That's the only way I've ever done it. 

I think Braised in the South and Southern Frenchie are the only really cooks left in the competition. I'm rooting for them. 

The two women who work with Mikey of the Breakfast Club are saints or zombies who can tune him out.

Hee. I thought they looked like they were totally over him and had no fucks left to give.  But maybe it's just how they deal with him. 

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 4

Mikey's eyebrows and lip gloss in the THs are so distracting.

I wish folk would realize that parking in a Walmart/Sam's Club parking lot will do you no favors and probably hurt your feelings. Those folks are not thinking about food! I thought that the duck costume was ... an actual costume.  Dude was walking around in a poorly inflated duck inner tube guilt tripping people into buy his mom's food.  Yikes.

• Love 7

I also really hope Stick 'Em Up made it pretty clear what a "ho cake" was on their sign, because I can imagine just walking past and snickering.  I wouldn't have actually known what they were trying to sell..

• Love 3

I really don't know why Mama Stick thought that people leaving a store with carts full of food would want to stop and buy food. What a dumb location to choose. And I agree, I would never buy anything from some loud, pushy person who got in my face and begged me to buy something. That would send me running to the other side of the street.

I really REALLY miss when this show cast people with existing food trucks. Frenchie wants to win so they can open a restaurant, Stick Son said he never wants to work in a food truck again...I miss rooting for teams who actually do want to run a food truck. Which leads me to my next question: If none of these food trucks actually exist, how do they have social media accounts that draw crowds? Even if the show created an account for each of them during filming, wouldn't they have 0 followers?

I really didn't think Diva could get more annoying and then the duck-lipped selfies happened.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I thought that the duck costume was ... an actual costume.  Dude was walking around in a poorly inflated duck inner tube guilt tripping people into buy his mom's food.  Yikes.

And why did she keep calling it a chicken-duck?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

The two women who work with Mikey of the Breakfast Club are saints or zombies who can tune him out.  He is one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen in reality tv.  And that's saying a lot.

Something tells me if they lose in next week's episode the next place we see Mikey is either Food Network Star or even worse,Masterchef

• Love 4

I don't think The Breakfast Club should have been allowed to win because they deliberately didn't push the dessert when it was $1.00 so that they could sell it for a higher price later. How is that fair? They basically cheated, because the challenge was to sell for $1.00 for an hour. That's just wrong.

Not sorry to see Stick Em' Up gone, her screeching voice was getting on my nerves.

• Love 4

Technically, it wasn't cheating, it was strategy. Still, I was really hoping Tyler was going to throw them a curveball and announce afterwards that only the sales made during happy hour would count towards winning the extra money.

• Love 10

They've had other teams skip the challenges altogether.  I can't think of a penalty given out except "You don't win".  Which pretty much negates the point of the challenges, except the extra money, which has almost never mattered.  

Why are these teams so bad at menu planning when combined with budgeting & volume planning?  If they really want to be in business, that's kind of important.  I think they just mostly want to be on TV, which makes for crappy TV..

• Love 5
Just now, Joe Blow said:

Why are these teams so bad at menu planning when combined with budgeting & volume planning?  If they really want to be in business, that's kind of important.  

That's what happens when you have a bunch of contestants who don't know anything about running a food truck.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, GaT said:

That's what happens when you have a bunch of contestants who don't know anything about running a food truck.

It's like watching First Time Flippers or Renovation Realities on DIY.  People that go in blindly, thinking it'll be easy.  Except this show is also, sadly, so incredibly more scripted and frustrating.  

When someone mentioned the filming permits needed for these trucks to park, assuming that's true, it made me realize why they all park in the same spots...and made it way less fun.

• Love 1

My theory on Mikey: He applied for Amazing Race and/or Big Brother but wasn't picked so now he's trying to bring a social game to Great Food Truck Race.

9 hours ago, Joe Blow said:

I'm definitely glad about the Stick people getting eliminated.  She still didn't understand at the end that it wasn't because their prices were too low, but because her grand plan for day 1 was to sit in the Sam's Club parking lot and have her son wear a rubber duck innertube.  

And while walking past a breakfast truck wouldn't really excite me very much, if it also included a really annoying guy on the sidewalk trying to convince me to stop by -- probably a dealbreaker to begin with -- but they also refused to post their prices, I would never stop by.  Why should I have to order something to find out how much it is?  That was such a dumb idea..

I mean in the past partnering with the store has worked. I think they just picked a pisspoor location. They should've been closer to the highway/road so they can have visibility to people driving by AND people shopping at the store. I don't think I've ever seen anyone park against the store and that wide shot with them against it just looked very odd to me.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, GaT said:

I don't think The Breakfast Club should have been allowed to win because they deliberately didn't push the dessert when it was $1.00 so that they could sell it for a higher price later. How is that fair? They basically cheated, because the challenge was to sell for $1.00 for an hour. That's just wrong.

Not sorry to see Stick Em' Up gone, her screeching voice was getting on my nerves.

We've seen teams before not really push/do the challenges. The one that comes to mind is the Waffles truck a few seasons back. I actually thought it was a smart idea because the overall goal is to make the most money during the "weekend." Actually do they still claim it's the weekend or just day 1/day 2 now?

• Love 2

Sometimes this show cracks me up.

WHOOOO shelled the most pecans and is going to win A MENTORING SESSION with a local Alabaman????  The exciting conclusion to the nutcracking competition . . . . . right after this important message from our sponsor!  Don't touch that dial!!!

Yeow, what a cliffhanger.

I tried not to spoil myself, scrolling down to leave this interim comment, but I saw that Mama Stick is histo.  Okay, that's going to make the rest of the show much more enjoyable--she's already bragged four times about being a shoo-in for the win. 

Editing can be so cruel.  : )

• Love 3

Ok, I actually did not mind any of the people this episode, especially Mama Stick. I was not sorry to see her go home, but I appreciate her story when she was beaten by Mr. Po' Britches at the end. 

What names should I call Mikey? I'm trying to think of some ones...

• Love 1
Just now, Simon47 said:

Ok, I actually did not mind any of the people this episode, especially Mama Stick. I was not sorry to see her go home, but I appreciate her story when she was beaten by Mr. Po' Britches at the end. 

What names should I call Mikey? I'm trying to think of some ones...

Bitch In A Selfie?

I've warmed up to Mikey.  He's absolutely exaggerated, but he's a planner and everything he's done has worked well.  Their truck has a unique menu, they haven't run out  of food, they haven't wasted time stuck in bad locations or driving around aimlessly. 

And they haven't served grits.  I mean everybody else seems to have served grits.  It's not a law in the South, honestly.   You don't have to have grits & grilled cheese in every truck.

Stick mama needed to just STFU for a few minutes per episode.  That over-the-top drawl was just idiotic. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Skyfall said:

My theory on Mikey: He applied for Amazing Race and/or Big Brother but wasn't picked so now he's trying to bring a social game to Great Food Truck Race.

Given his history with the Food Network they probably came to him.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I couldn't really tell -- was the advice and advantage actually helpful to Braised in the South?  I know they won and got to continue on, but was the advantage at all responsible for some of their success?  Didn't really seem like it...

She had recipe advice, am I correct? Oddly enough, the recipes themselves are one of the least important things about this competition. (With the possible exception of a tasting bonus challenge.) What they want is something that can be made quickly and cheaply, and tastes good enough that people won't demand their money back. That's not really what a pecan baking expert is likely to suggest.

19 hours ago, Gbb said:

Hee. I thought they looked like they were totally over him and had no fucks left to give.  But maybe it's just how they deal with him. 

(Re: Mikey) I actually like his sense of humor, and the way his teammates deadpan to it really sells the joke. Last week his "in the industry" comment was the only time I've actually laughed this series. (There are other things about his personality I don't love as much, but that's good delivery.)

16 hours ago, GaT said:

I think it was a goofy challenge but a totally legit play. Under-promoting a product is no less fair than running out and therefore not selling it at all.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, leighdear said:

I've warmed up to Mikey.  He's absolutely exaggerated, but he's a planner and everything he's done has worked well.  Their truck has a unique menu, they haven't run out  of food, they haven't wasted time stuck in bad locations or driving around aimlessly. 

And they haven't served grits.  I mean everybody else seems to have served grits.  It's not a law in the South, honestly.   You don't have to have grits & grilled cheese in every truck.

Stick mama needed to just STFU for a few minutes per episode.  That over-the-top drawl was just idiotic. 

This 100 times. All of it.

On what planet does having a grown man wander around in an under-inflated duckie inner tube inspire anyone to do anything other than cross to the other side of the street? And it's "hoecake," twit, as in cooked on a hoe. Learn to spell.

Did anyone else notice that Tyler referred to the breakfast truck folks by their T-shirt moniker of "brunch squad" through the entire stupid pecan challenge?

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 1

Mikey wears more makeup than his female teammates.  Ugh.  And where he got his marketing strategy of not including the price, I do not know.  I will automatically walk away from anything for sale that doesn't have the price listed, whether it's food or flea market items.  Not listing the price because you don't know what the market will bear is lazy salesmanship.  You might as well have an auction.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Not listing the price because you don't know what the market will bear is lazy salesmanship.  You might as well have an auction.

While in normal business I would agree I think in the case of this situation where it's a televised competition I know there are people who would willingly spend more for the possibility to be on tv.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Mikey wears more makeup than his female teammates.  Ugh.  And where he got his marketing strategy of not including the price, I do not know.  I will automatically walk away from anything for sale that doesn't have the price listed, whether it's food or flea market items.  Not listing the price because you don't know what the market will bear is lazy salesmanship.  You might as well have an auction.

Ditto - that is a big no no in marketing ! 

I am actually starting to think that he isn't a very good cook. You hardly ever see him cooking and he is outside of the truck taking the orders most of the time, when on the other trucks all the head chefs are cooking !

The other three teams left are all those with the best chefs. Po Boys are actually quite creative with their dishes., so i want the selfie king  (no-one want to see his ugly mug that often !) to go home so the three teams that actually cook proper food remain !

When the filming for the Pensacola leg was advertised in the local paper, people were advised beforehand that if they wanted to participate, they needed to bring plenty of cash, be prepared to be filmed and be prepared for those clips to be heavily edited. 

The prices these trucks charge for basic stuff would NEVER, EVER, EVER be standard prices here in Pensacola.  The food trucks we already have charge much more reasonable prices. 

Joey's non-pricing strategy works fine for the show, because it's just a show.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Amarsir said:

(Re: Mikey) I actually like his sense of humor, and the way his teammates deadpan to it really sells the joke. Last week his "in the industry" comment was the only time I've actually laughed this series. 

Except he wasn't joking. And his teammates weren't deadpanning to help him sell a joke. He was serious and they were clearly annoyed.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, TDT said:

How about that-just when we thought Stick Em' Up would stick around,they were sent home...

I too thought they were in until the finals. Maybe it means that the contest element of this is actually legitimate, and it's not all scripted and predetermined. Like on Master Chef or Food Network Star.

23 hours ago, Joe Blow said:

Why should I have to order something to find out how much it is?  That was such a dumb idea..

That was bizarre. Mama Stick Em Up said something like, "what if they're willing to pay more? Then we've lost money." So the price of every serving is to be negotiated? Crazy. I would never order food without the price being posted. I don't even go to restaurants who won't post their prices on their website. (One surprise. In that photo the young Mama Stick Em Up looked really pretty).

23 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Another big nitpick -- the voice on the Frenchie's wife is HORRIBLE.  So annoying.  Her husband is another saint.

I noticed that too. But she is kind of cute.

23 hours ago, Gbb said:

I think Braised in the South and Southern Frenchie are the only really cooks left in the competition. I'm rooting for them.

I believe I heard the guy in Southern Frenchie say that he wanted to win the grand prize so he could open a restaurant. Huh? I thought they were supposed to use the 50k to start a food truck. Which brings up the questions about how the money's awarded. Sounds like maybe the producers hand you a check for the money and you can do whatever the hell you want. Put it towards opening a restaurant, your kid's college fund, or blow it in Vegas.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I've never patronized a food truck. Are the selections always so overpriced?

This show definitely pushes that up. I would say they tend to average comparable to getting the same food at an independent casual restaurant.

17 hours ago, Amarsir said:

I think it was a goofy challenge but a totally legit play. Under-promoting a product is no less fair than running out and therefore not selling it at all.

Agree.  I scowled at Eyebrows gaming the challenge like that, but it did require thinking one step ahead and the move was legit, according to the rules.  He made all the people using a megaphone to pitch their "ONE DOLLAR FRESH PECAN DESSERTS!" look a little foolish and short-sighted.

I feel a bit annoyed when my in-house server reels off the entrees du jour without mentioning prices, unless the restaurant is already "mortgage payment" range.  I'm definitely not stepping up to a stupid food truck with spontaneous pricing.

I finally noticed "Southern Frenchie" during this episode.  Cute pup logo, but I don't think most people are all that familiar with French Bulldogs.  Good thing it sounds inviting either way.  "Southern Briard" wouldn't be as good.  "Southern Spitz" would be bad.

• Love 2

Braised in the South: About that pecan challenge. You are wearing aprons, for gawd's sake. Why did you not use the apron to transport the nuts? Crowing that your pecan carrier had huge arms and could therefore carry more than the competition was idiotic.

Or did I miss something in the instructions?

• Love 2
22 hours ago, biakbiak said:

While in normal business I would agree I think in the case of this situation where it's a televised competition I know there are people who would willingly spend more for the possibility to be on tv.

22 hours ago, leighdear said:

When the filming for the Pensacola leg was advertised in the local paper, people were advised beforehand that if they wanted to participate, they needed to bring plenty of cash, be prepared to be filmed and be prepared for those clips to be heavily edited. 

The prices these trucks charge for basic stuff would NEVER, EVER, EVER be standard prices here in Pensacola.  The food trucks we already have charge much more reasonable prices. 

Yes, this show is in no way an accurate representation of the food truck business, either in terms of pricing or how trucks get business. There are tons of food trucks in the city where I live, and they all operate on regular schedules, going to the same locations on set days and times. So they're able to build up a regular clientele, and that's how they can make money. t's not about showing up unexpectedly at some one-off location and trying to drum up business by yelling, dancing, flagging down cars or any of the other shenanigans we see the teams doing on this show.

Pricing, as others have commented, also does not reflect reality. Where I live there are a few "high-end" food trucks but their prices are still significantly lower than what you'd pay at a brick and mortar restaurant for comparable food. I've seen customers on this show paying 12 bucks for a grilled cheese sandwich or 6 bucks for a taco, and that's obviously all because they want to be on TV and have come down to be part of an event. A classic case of "reality TV' being anything but.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, bluepiano said:

Yes, this show is in no way an accurate representation of the food truck business, either in terms of pricing or how trucks get business. There are tons of food trucks in the city where I live, and they all operate on regular schedules, going to the same locations on set days and times. So they're able to build up a regular clientele, and that's how they can make money. t's not about showing up unexpectedly at some one-off location and trying to drum up business by yelling, dancing, flagging down cars or any of the other shenanigans we see the teams doing on this show.

I wish they would focus more on the logistics of how to run a truck, though of course they would have to re-cast with people who understand that. I'd be interested in how you anticipate demand, how much food you carry over, whether you prep anything offsite, these sorts of details. I notice that this season has also been really light on details of what food the trucks actually sell, another thing that would interest me. We know about breakfast nachos, we know about tot-chos, do we know anything else about what food is on the trucks' regular menus?

Bummer that I'm obviously thinking about this a lot more than anyone at FN ever has.

• Love 3

Personally, I think tot-chos sound horrid.  Tater tots with beans and cheese and salsa?  Yuck.

I'd like to try the food on the Mr. Po Boy truck, and gosh darn it, Mr. Eyebrows' pecan dessert actually sounded good.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Personally, I think tot-chos sound horrid.  Tater tots with beans and cheese and salsa?  Yuck.

I'd like to try the food on the Mr. Po Boy truck, and gosh darn it, Mr. Eyebrows' pecan dessert actually sounded good.

They never said the tot-chos had beans; they said they had lettuce, cheese, and salsa. A starch, tortillas, should be easily swappable with a starch, tater tots. It's basically the same concept as carne asada fries, which you wouldn't think would be hard to find outside of southern California, but are totally hard to find outside of southern California. 

On 9/4/2017 at 8:00 AM, Skyfall said:

We've seen teams before not really push/do the challenges. The one that comes to mind is the Waffles truck a few seasons back. I actually thought it was a smart idea because the overall goal is to make the most money during the "weekend." Actually do they still claim it's the weekend or just day 1/day 2 now?

The Waffle Love guys were always really aware of not diluting their brand. Their whole schtick was that they did a yeasted liege waffle. The farther afield a challenge took them from their core brand, the less likely they were to spend any time working on the challenge. Apparently they are franchising their trucks now and have trucks or locations in 4 or 5 states.

I don't know why no one seems to be going back to the grocery store. There used to be a lot more of that in previous seasons. I have this sneaking suspicion that the selling hours are limited to prevent teams from restocking because by the time they go to the store, shop, come back, prep, and cook the food, the selling hours are done.

I like the Po'Boy team, but I feel like they might be particularly bad at measuring servings.

23 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I wish they would focus more on the logistics of how to run a truck, though of course they would have to re-cast with people who understand that. I'd be interested in how you anticipate demand, how much food you carry over, whether you prep anything offsite, these sorts of details. I notice that this season has also been really light on details of what food the trucks actually sell, another thing that would interest me. We know about breakfast nachos, we know about tot-chos, do we know anything else about what food is on the trucks' regular menus?

I miss that aspect of the show where the teams would strategize on what items to make and sell. Sometimes they would think about what was easy to prep. Sometimes they would think about which dishes had the most number of ingredients in common so that they didn't waste money on things they couldn't sell. My favorite thing to watch was the teams who were really good at using existing ingredients maybe with the addition of a single new ingredient to create a whole new dish. Restaurants have to do this all the time.

Sometimes the contestants would strategize about ways to upsell existing menu items. For example, instead of making a whole new pecan dish in previous seasons, a team might have made a pecan praline topping to add to an existing dessert. Like the Waffle Love guys might have asked if people wanted to add the pecan praline topping to any of their waffles. It used to be a much more interesting show. Like teams realizing that a particular town or neighborhood might have a bunch of vegetarians so maybe they should have a vegetarian option on the menu.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2
On 9/3/2017 at 11:35 PM, Gbb said:

When I saw all those rubber mallets and then saw the pecans I laughed and wondered how long it would take them to toss aside the mallet and break the shells by squeezing two pecans against each other. Answer: not long :) That's the only way I've ever done it. 

When I was a kid, my "job" during the family holiday baking season was to shell pecans. (MMMM, my grandmother's pecan pie. . . ) I was never allowed to use a nutcracker because it's too easy to mess up the meat with them.

@leighdear, do you know what the local food trucks did while the show was in town? Are they blocked from the filming areas or do they get to operate as usual?

I wonder how hard Mikey had to beg his teammates to join him on the show. It feels like they knew it was going to be a painful experience from the start.

• Love 1
On 9/5/2017 at 3:41 PM, IrishPirate said:

Braised in the South: About that pecan challenge. You are wearing aprons, for gawd's sake. Why did you not use the apron to transport the nuts? Crowing that your pecan carrier had huge arms and could therefore carry more than the competition was idiotic.

Or did I miss something in the instructions?

That was my first thought too, but then noticed that none of the teams were doing it, so I think it must have been in the instructions.

• Love 2
On Wednesday, September 06, 2017 at 2:39 PM, meep.meep said:

There are several places here that make them and they are crazy addictive bar food.

• Love 2
On 9/3/2017 at 11:09 PM, Joe Blow said:

One, the Sams Club was a horrible place to sell. I don't know what she thought a rubber duck tube was going to do to change things. 

Two, the diva douche and his explanation for not posting prices made no sense at all. He said that people might have planned on spending more, so he doesn't post prices. Does he think someone wants to spend $15 on his crap, and if he posts $10, they will walk by? Does he think they will offer more? What utter nonsense.

On 9/4/2017 at 1:24 AM, TDT said:

Something tells me if they lose in next week's episode the next place we see Mikey is either Food Network Star or even worse,Masterchef

Haha!!! I just said the same thing to my wife. He will be teamed up with his fellow media whore douchenozzle Matt Grunwald.

On 9/4/2017 at 2:21 AM, GaT said:

I'm getting the sickening feeling that this clown diva douche is the chosen one, by the FN. 

• Love 1
On 9/5/2017 at 0:22 PM, candall said:

Agree.  I scowled at Eyebrows gaming the challenge like that, but it did require thinking one step ahead and the move was legit, according to the rules.  He made all the people using a megaphone to pitch their "ONE DOLLAR FRESH PECAN DESSERTS!" look a little foolish and short-sighted.

I feel a bit annoyed when my in-house server reels off the entrees du jour without mentioning prices, unless the restaurant is already "mortgage payment" range.  I'm definitely not stepping up to a stupid food truck with spontaneous pricing.

Re: the challenge - while it's true they didn't cheat, it still irked me, as it has in seasons past when other teams have ignored challenges.  I really wish they would give the challenges real stakes, so if a team chose to ignore them, they actually took a hit.  Otherwise, why do they even bother having them?  Like @Rachel RSL, I was hoping for a last minute curveball of only the desserts sold during the dollar hour counting.  That would have wiped that smug smile off Mikey's perfectly glossed lips.

Re: the spontaneous pricing - granted I wasn't watching too closely, but how did he know how much each person was willing to spend?  Did he start high and then negotiate down?  Isn't that a little dangerous when you have a line?  For example, if you let one person pay $1 for a doughnut and the person behind hears, you kind of have to let that person have it for $1 too, right?  And so on and so on? 

• Love 1