Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got a laugh out of Trebek's long pause when a player answered "Key." I don't remember the clue or which player. But Trebek was obviously waiting for more. Then it dawned on him, Key is the last name of Keegan Michael Key. And ... play resumed once he figured that out.

I thought I heard Marty saying "hunnert" but I don't care. My pet peeve is when answers are given in upspeak, like a question. We haven't had one of those for a while, so I'm letting hunnerts pass.

ProudMary, check out YouTube for daily postings of each game. You must stay up to date on what's going on in Jeopardy land!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

My pet peeve is when answers are given in upspeak, like a question.

They're supposed to be in the form of a question, though ;) I'm with ya on the "hunnert," I usually don't notice them doing it unless it's really "in yo face."

• Love 5

Gah! ClaireWalks, I hate that you are correct about answers being questions. Now I'm irritated at the upspeak AND that it probably is correct. GAH!

Interesting side note: I'm watching the Olympics; Korea's flag has an orange/blue yin/yang on it. I don't remember what the clue was a while back, but the answer was the yin/yang symbol. Many of us here did not know it was suppose to be in orange/blue, having mostly seen it in North America as white/black.

• Love 3

Hearing Gibraltar mentioned reminded of my European experience. Back in 2001, I went to Gibraltar when I was doing a semester abroad. While I was there, our tour guide said with respect to the Barbary macaques: "“As long as they remain, so will the British.” At one point towards the end of WWII, Winston Churchill did bring in more monkeys from North Africa when the population dwindled to 10. They weren't taking any chances the legend was true. He also told me that Franco assigned a hit squad to take them out, but were stopped by British intelligence. I don't know about that one.

I had made the mistake of telling my house mother that I was going to Gibraltar completely forgetting the history behind it. Oops. Her response was: "There's nothing for you there!" I should have only mentioned Seville which I did see later. 

26 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got collusion, altar piece (altar screen was later judged acceptable), and 73.

Got those and FJ. I've always been a fan of the space program. 

I laughed at the Looney Tunes reference to "The Valkyrie." 

• Love 4

This was a good game to watch. There were few TS's, but I remember getting Titus Andronicus, 73, and 4,000. I was clueless on FJ but it made sense once revealed. 

The movie math category was the first time I've ever run a math category. I really liked it. 

I like Marty a lot and hope he sticks around. Have a great weekend, everyone!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Evidently there's no way I can see Jeopardy! these next two weeks.  I am NOT happy.

Check your messages.

41 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I'm that dork sitting in my living room for the "You Stay Classical, Music," category like "Bach, Wagner, and Ravel are NOT CLASSICAL COMPOSERS," with my mouth full of ice cream.

The mouth full of ice cream makes this comment great!

• Love 5

I wish I had paid more attention to the first half of the game. Anyway, the only TS I got was Altair, and how I got that is beyond me. Weird how the memory works.

I also got TS. It seemed pretty easy.

I love Bugs Bunny, and that particular episode is one of the best. "Kill da wabbit" is simply classic. I'm glad the audience gave it a big laugh.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I wish I had paid more attention to the first half of the game. Anyway, the only TS I got was Altair, and how I got that is beyond me. Weird how the memory works.

I also got TS. It seemed pretty easy.

I love Bugs Bunny, and that particular episode is one of the best. "Kill da wabbit" is simply classic. I'm glad the audience gave it a big laugh.

And its Liz Lemon's ringtone. 

I was surprised at the misses of Emory and The Right Stuff the last few nights on FJ. 

And if you are guessing and know the CDC is in Altanta, Georgia Tech rather than the U of Georgia would make more sense as an answer.  THough still wrong. 

• Love 2

Liked all 3 contestants Friday. We joked that Carlos in his cardigan was a few days late for the Mr. Rogers category.

The only TS I got was 4,000. FJ was an instaget, but only due to the phrase "going up in a hurtling piece of machinery". Otherwise I would have been clueless (heh)

5 hours ago, Pikety6571 said:

Love Marty. I hope he never loses. He's a machine, and he seems nice. (Although I didn't see his story tonight, so maybe he confessed to torturing puppies or whatever.)

No puppy torturing story from Marty. His story was that he met his wife on a 3 week choir (?) tour of Europe, so considers their first date to have been 3 weeks long. Alex asked if it was love at first sight and he said it was for him, but not sure if it was for his wife. Alex said he would ask her when she is a contestant. 

• Love 2

I can totally see how becoming an uncle and getting the Jeopardy call on the same day would be the best day of someone's life. I think if that happened for me, I'd probably feel the same.

I stand corrected and a bit chagrinned.

Throwing shade is a new expression (for me). I like it...the expression...but I shouldn't have thrown shade.

• Love 5

I've never heard of the fish pronounced croppie - it's crappy around here. So's the weather.

The fellow in the middle was swaying so much I was getting seasick.  I like Marty.

For FJ, A Few Good Men got into my head and I couldn't get beyond that.

• Love 3

Maybe crap-pee is the French pronunciation. (Says Trebek.) Although based on posts here, this fish appears to be regionally pronounced. In this part of the Midwest, it's crop-pee. Maybe the pronunciation is like Uranus ... up to the speaker as to whether he/she wants to incorporate a somewhat embarrassing word.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I missed the show last night but was impressed by Marty tonight. Not too many TS's; I got collusion, Titus Andronicus, and 73. I'm not surprised Titus was a TS; it's not one of Shakespeare's better known plays and there has long been controversy about its authorship. Got FJ; I loved The Right Stuff, both book and movie.

It is my favorite movie, and not because it is the first movie my husband and I saw when we were dating.

15 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Hearing Gibraltar mentioned reminded of my European experience. Back in 2001, I went to Gibraltar when I was doing a semester abroad. While I was there, our tour guide said with respect to the Barbary macaques: "“As long as they remain, so will the British.” At one point towards the end of WWII, Winston Churchill did bring in more monkeys from North Africa when the population dwindled to 10. They weren't taking any chances the legend was true. He also told me that Franco assigned a hit squad to take them out, but were stopped by British intelligence. I don't know about that one.

I had made the mistake of telling my house mother that I was going to Gibraltar completely forgetting the history behind it. Oops. Her response was: "There's nothing for you there!" I should have only mentioned Seville which I did see later. 

Used to live in Seville (military brat), and we had one memorable trip to Gibraltar. Though oddly, it's not the monkeys I remember, but the bunkers when we crossed the border. That and something else that isn't suitable for the forum. ;)

• Love 4

That and something else that isn't suitable for the forum.

Thanks for the big tease!

I had made the mistake of telling my house mother that I was going to Gibraltar completely forgetting the history behind it.

Now I have to do some reading about Gibraltar.

I strongly dislike monkeys. I would not be a kind person if they were jumping around and on me. I don't even like them in zoos. Not that I have any worries about ever being anywhere they are living loose among the tourists. Lucky, all you worldly traveled people!

• Love 1

Is anyone missing Jeopardy because of the Olympics?

Atlanta's NBC affiliate is showing J! on their "sister station," WATL, channel 36.

Emory vs Ga Tech in Atlanta: Don't forget GSU is *also* in Atlanta, although I doubt they have a medical school of any renown. Neither does Tech.

• Love 1

The Right Stuff was an instaget for me.  I was watching with my mom who made me watch The Right Stuff with her.  Then made me read the book.  So I was like, "you know, mom."  And she looked at me like I was insane.   And I said, "no, think about it, you know it."  And she looked at me like I was insane.  And then she guessed something that was more than 3 words and I was like... "you know, like a rocket" and she looked at me like I was insane.  And then I said "The Right Stuff" and she was unamused.  

Good movie.  Good book.  \\\\\\\

• Love 6

I was surprised that collusion as a TS, given how much it's been in the news lately.  I got it, 73 and Titus Andronicus.  I love The Right Stuff (book & movie), and have been interested in the space program since I was 4 and watched Neil Armstrong walk on the moon, so FJ was totally an instaget for me.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, bybrandy said:

So I was like, "you know, mom."  And she looked at me like I was insane.   And I said, "no, think about it, you know it."  And she looked at me like I was insane.  And then she guessed something that was more than 3 words and I was like... "you know, like a rocket" and she looked at me like I was insane.  And then I said "The Right Stuff" and she was unamused.  

This is so much my husband and me. One of us can't come up with an answer that the other one knows we know, and the insane looks and "WTF are you talking about"s? If there were such a thing as team J! we would clean up!

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

This is so much my husband and me. One of us can't come up with an answer that the other one knows we know, and the insane looks and "WTF are you talking about"s? If there were such a thing as team J! we would clean up!

Us too!

• Love 2

I was so happy after FJ I actually let out a scream. Dom was goofy, and Lindsey's vocal fry had me wishing for earplugs. When she finished double Jeopardy in the lead I was even more surprised than she was. Dom was a jumper, too, so I really wasn't a fan. I can't believe only Marty had FJ correct. I thought it was obvious. Wtf was with Dom's response of tuba though? 

In addition to FJ, I had shell shock. That was my only get. BTW, I thought the pic of Connie Chung was completely unnecessary given the category and clue. 

• Love 4

While I can see the resemblance to Dr. Phil that Marty spoke about, I see him more as David Ogden Stiers.  ETA:  He even sounds like him.

5a8234fac072d_DavidOgdenStiers.jpg.034e2ac1b2322f7dd0d9e79db4108202.jpg

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 17

I saw in my morning paper that a local boy was going to be on Jeopardy today so tuned in with special anticipation.  Unfortunately Dom started in the middle of categories and also did that "push the buzzer extra hard" thing some people do when their reactions aren't quite fast enough to be first.  I was mortified on his behalf when I saw his answer to FJ (the tuba).  I hope he had no idea what the answer was, and just thought it might be a funny way to say "No idea."  FJ was an instaget for me.

I really like Marty.

Edited by graybrown bird
To add something.
  • Love 6

I had to think about shell shock, but I got it.  FJ! was an instaget, one of the perks of being old is that you know stuff like that!  I want to know more about the penguin behavior that nobody talked about for a  "hunnert" years.

• Love 10

I wanted to like Dom because curling.  I love curling!  But I just couldn't with him -- between his too-large jacket, starting in the middle of categories, and buzzer mashing, it was too much for me.  Then, tuba!  WTF?  I'm pretty sure tubas have been around longer than the 1950s, there, Dom.

FJ was an instaget, and I'm not that old!  Seemed obvious that they were going for a car, with "victory lap" in the clue, and I don't know of any other car that was as widely ridiculed as the Edsel.  I'm glad Marty got it and won again.

I also had to think about shell shock -- had to get back before it was called PTSD, but I managed, and I also got Shropshire, but those were the only TS I got.

• Love 5

It happens almost every day, Jeopardy is ready to come on and dogs have to go out and I forgot all about feeding horses so I have to do that too while I'm out there. So I missed the first part and the interviews. I only saw one TS, which was a no brainer for me since I raise sheep: Shropshire. I believe Bugs Bunny or some other Loony Tune did a "Shropshire Lad" take off, that phrase has always been stuck in the back of my mind.

I like runaway games if I like the player who is running away, so I was bummed when Marty was behind at FJ. Then yeay, he pulled it off. I'm good with him staying longer.

I don't think Marty looks anything like Dr. Phil, but he's a dead ringer for David Ogden Stiers. So thanks for that picture, Tunia.

• Love 5

That was an exciting game. It looked like a runaway for Marty, but then he missed a couple and the others came up on him. I'm glad he won, though - I like him. I got shell shock, but not Shropshire. I agree, Dom got points for curling, but button mashing and the big, creepy grin he flashed when he knew the camera was on him made me glad he lost. 

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, teebax said:

I thought the pic of Connie Chung was completely unnecessary given the category and clue.

Wasn't that category all pictorial?

Edit-- Wait, never mind. I'm thinking of the fedoras.

Edited by opus
Just remembered....
  • Love 2

Yay, Marty!  I was nervous for a minute that Dom might win.  Yuk!  I like curling, but that wasn't enough to negate the starting in the middle of categories, smashing his buzzer and general air of being a tool.

The only TS I got was Marty's missed DD of shell shock.

FJ was an instaget.  A neighbor had one when I was a kid and I thought it was a very cool car.  Tuba?  WTF?!

I think Marty looks like Peter Boyle.

vert.peter.boyle.jpg

• Love 6

I knew shell shock from a bit that George Carlin on the euphemisms used to describe the trauma experienced by combat veterans as it changed throughput the past century. Shell shock, battle fatigue, operational exhaustion and post-traumatic stress disorder. Changing the name of the condition doesn't change the condition and the harsh reality of warfare was squashed by the use of euphemistic language. He postulated that Vietnam veterans would have received more assistance if the term was still shell shock as opposed to post-traumatic stress disorder. 

As for the Edsel, I got that from Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire." Edsel is a no go.  It was before my time, but Billy Joel isn't. Our history teacher assigned us a name or event from the song to do a presentation. I actually had Roy Cohn, a name that has appeared quite a lot recently as he was a mentor to our President The one who had the Kennedy assassination stood up and quoted the song "JFK blown away. What else do I have to say?" and sat back down. My teacher's response was: "That might be enough for Billy Joel, but I need more." He did elaborate with the Texas School Book Depository (a recent answer) and Lee Harvey Oswald, Gov. Connally, the Zapruder film, etc.  

• Love 3

I can see Dr Phil. I liked his impression of him, too.

The only TS I got was Shropshire. I also got Edsel, which seemed pretty easy. I'm thinking that Dom was kinda kidding with 'tuba.' Maybe I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Kathira said:

That was an exciting game. It looked like a runaway for Marty, but then he missed a couple and the others came up on him. I'm glad he won, though - I like him. I got shell shock, but not Shropshire. I agree, Dom got points for curling, but button mashing and the big, creepy grin he flashed when he knew the camera was on him made me glad he lost. 

It was. When they showed the scores just before the break going into final jeopardy, I said "Now that's a game!" There was, to my recollection, only one stupid answer (not counting FJ) and that was intestinal gut. 

After Alec broke the news of his cold, I said "now maybe he'll be quiet" and my husband replied "and they'll clear the boards." 

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 9

I only saw bits and pieces during breaks from watching the Olympics, but I checked the archive to fill in the blanks.

For FJ (which I saw), I got it, but am not surprised by a contestant not knowing.  I am, however, stunned that Dom seemed truly surprised his tuba answer was incorrect.  Seriously, dude, you couldn't even get to the point of knowing that they were looking for a car?

That I just do my own thing to exercise was abundantly clear in the Fitness category, as the only clue I could decipher was target heart rate;  the contestants did far better than me.

There were several DJ clues I thought were ridiculously easy for that round -- like mortgage (even at $400, that was over valued), Roquefort equaling cheese, including a picture of Connie Chung for an easy clue that already spotted CC via the category, identifying Nebraska on a map (identifying Yemen on a map as a $2000 clue, given general geography knowledge, maybe, but an American-based show highlighting Nebraska on a map and rewarding $800 for identifying it?!).  I also thought shell shock was pretty easy for a DD, given the category (especially in DJ), so was surprised to see Marty miss it.

But, like the contestants, even with a picture and the initials CC, I could not come up with Charles Curtis.  I didn't know Shropshire, either.

• Love 2

I like Marty but I'm really glad his runaway was derailed. I wouldn't have minded Dom winning but the woman on the end bugged. She had solid knowledge but I'm weary of this phenomenon of grown women who sound like 13 year olds. 

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 2

This was a good game. Not many TS (only one I got was shell shocked), but then again the questions were pretty easy. I was charmed at Dom's excited reaction to Alex Trebek since I would probably geek out too, but he was soon too OTT for me, not to mention his starting in the middle of categories.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I want to know more about the penguin behavior that nobody talked about for a  "hunnert" years.

Here you go!

Edsel comes up on Jeopardy a fair amount, most recently last month!

I thought Lindsey had some pretty good gets: Katrina and the Waves, Charles Curtis, something else I can't remember (an author?).

• Love 2

Love me some Marty. I hope he sticks around <knock on wood>.

The half-hour PRE-Olympics blab-fest (where they talk and talk and say nothing amidst a bazillion commercials) took over my usual J! spot...color me pissed off...but Mr. Author and I get it on two networks (at 4:30 and 7:30), so we did see it (hah!) and went "WHEW" in unison when Marty won.

Re: AT's sniffles. Whoever said maybe they'd clear the boards took the words out of my...fingers.

My first husband's uncle had an Edsel. Who knew that someday it would be worth mega bucks!

Speaking of mega bucks, my dad had the very first Superman comic. He sold it at a garage sale.

I wasn't meant to be rich.

• Love 4