Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, Driad said:

In case this is ever a clue, a Darwin stubby is a "small" bottle of beer that holds around 2 litres.

Got to love the Aussies.

51 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I was stunned that a man from Bahrain living in Canada knew Doug Jones beat Roy Moore in Georgia. How many Americans could answer that one? FIVE snaps up for Ali. I followed that election and couldn't get Jones' name to come up in time.

I know, right? I paid fairly close attention to that election, but I guess my focus was on "NOT Roy Moore" instead of Doug Jones - which is one of the blandest white bread names ever.

50 minutes ago, Trey said:

I've forgotten the question in whatever Religions category that was, but middle guy answered Hindu, which was wrong. Then Ali answered Islam, which was correct, and Alex waffled with yes, Muslim.  I expected Ali to respond with "It's Islam, Alex.".

YES! My husband and I laughed. I think maybe Ali just might know what the F he's talking about, Alex. (btw, wouldn't "What the F" be a good category title...)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7
35 minutes ago, DrScottie said:
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I was stunned that a man from Bahrain living in Canada knew Doug Jones beat Roy Moore in Georgia.

It was Alabama. They were running to take over the seat vacated by our current Attorney General, Jeff Sessions. 

Thanks for that correction DrScottie. Now who's the idiot? (Magic 8 Ball says: "The answer is Saber.") Of course it was Alabama, I don't know where Georgia came from, except it was On My Mind.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

I couldn't remember his name either but that election was covered probably as much here in Canada as it was in US.  If you watched the news at all, you knew about it.

I do know that people in Europe (and Canada!) know more about what's going on in the United States than Americans do. Maybe not about the newest reality "star," but things that matter in the real world.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

I've forgotten the question in whatever Religions category that was, but middle guy answered Hindu, which was wrong. Then Ali answered Islam, which was correct, and Alex waffled with yes, Muslim.  I expected Ali to respond with "It's Islam, Alex.".

Yeah, that was a Trebek Golden Moment. I'm waiting for a FJ category of What Would Jesus Say and Trebek to announce Ali is at a disadvantage. Remember when he did that to some other contestants he "ass"umed were not of the Christian persuasion?

19 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

(btw, wouldn't "What the F" be a good category title...)

That would be the best ever, and all the clues about Trebek.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I was stunned that a man from Bahrain living in Canada knew Doug Jones beat Roy Moore in Georgia. How many Americans could answer that one? FIVE snaps up for Ali. I followed that election and couldn't get Jones' name to come up in time.

I couldn't remember the guy's name either, but I knew there were two other men of the same name that I'd heard of, one of whom is in several del Toro movies.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I think they were all men who did something particularly daring, like climbing Everest, but it was pretty vague. The main point seemed to be punning on "male/mail" as a follow up to a category name about letters.

I think this is it.  It was really just a potpourri of questions where the answers were men, but they called it MALE MAN because the category next to it on the board was WHO HAS MY LETTER?

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, SHD said:

I think this is it.  It was really just a potpourri of questions where the answers were men, but they called it MALE MAN because the category next to it on the board was WHO HAS MY LETTER?

Controversy solved.  And not controversial at all. At least not compared to so much real stuff going on: "I really don't care do u?"

16 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Ali's heavy sighing annoys me. He acts like he's pissed when he hits a Daily Double.

He's been finding all the DDs, and I think he's gun shy from betting everything (more than $5,000 and his lead) when he discovered his first DD ... and lost. Since Ali's games are all filmed one after the other, not on different days when we see them, it makes sense. I think Ali has a good game face and I don't have any problems with him at all. Compare to Thespian David and be glad Ali's there, not TD. Although YMMV, of course.

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

(btw, wouldn't "What the F" be a good category title...)

That would be the best ever, and all the clues about Trebek.

I love it!  Please make it so, Jeopardy writers.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

All I could come up with in the allotted time was "Jones". They would have taken that, right?  It's not like there was a Kit Jones. (And I saw the updates - I know it's not Georgia - but the point still stands.)

• Love 5
(edited)
11 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

All I could come up with in the allotted time was "Jones". They would have taken that, right? 

A big YES, "Jones" would have been accepted. Although there probably is a Kit Jones (and a Carson Jones), but J! judges don't seem to care about that.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

Instaget FJ for me today, having suffered with a brief episode of vertigo a few years ago.  It was kind of fun -- I could almost control it.  I only got dizzy when I turned my head to the right (or rolled over onto my right side at night).  It's very interesting when the world is spinning and you're lying in bed! 

Anyway, the only TS I got was The Bells -- I was shouting it at my TV, but I guess they didn't hear me.

Not sad to see the back of Ali, and I look forward to another day of the new champ's amazing cheekbones.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

.....but I have a feeling he will be sticking around for a while.

Or not!  lol

Bye, Ali.  I won't miss you.

Jordan, feel free to lose on Monday because I also don't like you.

Tonight I got muff and Goodie Mob.

FJ = instaget

Now, all of you get the hell off my lawn!!

• Love 6
(edited)

Starting the countdown to Jordan being accused of being smug.

Oh, Ali, you poor naive fellow to think Jeopardy would use a nonwestern poet without a heavy-handed clue about it. But thanks for making me think of Omar Khayyiyam (and Baaaalzac per Mrs. Shinn

in The Music Man).

Edited by ABay
  • Love 4

Sorry to see Ali go, darn it.  Glad grinning Amanda didn't win, but I'd take her over Lisping Jordan any day.  I hope he flames out on Monday.

Why does Alex, the Canadian, all of a sudden act like he hates Canadians?  He used to get excited when one of his "fellow countrymen" was on.

I got muff and Great Falls (DD - lived there as a kid).

FJ was an instaget.  I loves me some Hitchcock movies.  Plus, I've had vertigo before - not fun.

• Love 7
(edited)

Well nuts, my gypsy curse backfired on Ali. I knew I should have kept my wink winks to myself. Sorry to see him go. I think he got kinda tired at the end, he blew his lead right at the crucial time. Bye Ali. You were one of my favorites.

Barf on you, Trebek, for giving away the answer of Rabbie Burns via your crap Scottish accent. Why not just hand the players the answers on your card, you dip. I hate when you do that.

Again, Ali finds (almost) all of the DDs.

Celestial Seasonings! Boulder! Yeay! That took me back to when I toured that company, it's a fabulous place. Not sure if they still let people step into the mint room, but don't take a deep breath if you do or you will for sure pass out. The lobby has all kinds of teas to sample, which are all delicious. I could have spent all day there. I do go there every once in a while when I take an out-of-body vacation. Carpe, you should stop in and buy me some Fast Lane.

FJ was an instaget for me. I love Hitchcock, and I showed that film to a college class on something or other, I don't remember what. I just remember getting the film from the library and we all piled into the auditorium to watch it. Plus I do have vertigo myself, it appears at the oddest times, none of them convenient.

That makes two FJs I've know this month! Yeay for me! Ha ha.

Now to put a gypsy curse on today's winner. He can't be gone fast enough for me. I need to find a dead frozen rat to spin over my head to accelerate the curse ...

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 9
(edited)
32 minutes ago, ABay said:

Starting the countdown to Jordan being accused of being smug.

I was going to respond but decided to let it be. Never mind.

Anyway, I had a solid game tonight and was stunned when Amanda's answer was revealed. I was sure all three of them would have it immediately. I had to Google Suspiria and was surprised to find out it was the title of a movie; I have never heard of it, and it apparently was released during my time. Oh well.

My gets were muff, holograph, Bankers Box, Goody Mob, Great Falls DD, The Bells, and final. I hate that AT always gives away Burns clues with his horrid accent, although I guess not all the contestants recognized it. It's kind of Jeopardy 101: you hear that accent, and your Pavlovian response should be, "Burns." 

Has Alex ever mentioned being from Canada before? He should definitely talk more about that. /s

25 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Sorry to see Ali go, darn it.  Glad grinning Amanda didn't win, but I'd take her over Lisping Jordan any day.  I hope he flames out on Monday.

I liked Amanda and her smile, but I co-sign on that lisp. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 8

Alex began the show by saying there were two Canadians on it today....No Alex. You are a Canadian and I can add. There were three Canadians on the show today. 

When Jordan was discussing his trip to Poland and talking about his ancestral home I thought it was smug of Alex to tell him “Yeah. I know” regarding the population or some fact. Really Alex? You are the only person who has been everywhere and done everything. A one upper for sure. 

I got holograph, bankers box, The Bells and T.S. Elliot. The last one was a preface to a chapter I read in a book today. It blew me away that it was an answer tonight. FJ was an instaget. Like Carpe “I love me some Hitchcock”. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

I didn’t notice a lisp, but even if I had, I figure that’s maybe something that can’t be helped, like Tom Brokaw’s speech impediment.

Oh I noticed and wondered if it would be mentioned here. I figure it's fair game, the same as is someone's hairdo, face shape, position of eyeballs, clothing choice, bouncing rhythm, smugness (ha ha) and/or buzzer jerking.

40 minutes ago, HavartiHead42 said:

I would like new champ more if he didn't look so much like young Woody Allen. 

I would like the winner more if he DID look like a young Woody Allen.

2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got holograph, bankers box, The Bells and T.S. Elliot. The last one was a preface to a chapter I read in a book today. It blew me away that it was an answer tonight.

Mindthinkr is Vulcan mind melding with the J! writers. Cool!

• Love 6
(edited)
16 minutes ago, teebax said:

I was going to respond but decided to let it be. Never mind.

I'm glad I got to read it before it was let be. Props, Teebax. You are cool with me.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I can honestly say I had no idea "Bankers Box" was a brand name. 

I join the dizzy crowd in FJ being an instaget simply because I spent months in that therapy. 

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Alex began the show by saying there were two Canadians on it today....No Alex. You are a Canadian and I can add. There were three Canadians on the show today. 

When Jordan was discussing his trip to Poland and talking about his ancestral home I thought it was smug of Alex to tell him “Yeah. I know” regarding the population or some fact. Really Alex? You are the only person who has been everywhere and done everything. A one upper for sure. 

I got holograph, bankers box, The Bells and T.S. Elliot. The last one was a preface to a chapter I read in a book today. It blew me away that it was an answer tonight. FJ was an instaget. Like Carpe “I love me some Hitchcock”. 

Alex had a couple moments tonight when he pointed out he knew something. He's such an ass. 

Bankers Boxes are traumatic for me. I was summarily fired from a job once and I found out when I came to work and all my stuff was in bankers boxes. That story still pisses me off, and the sight of those boxes brings all those bad feelings back. 

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, teebax said:

Alex had a couple moments tonight when he pointed out he knew something. He's such an ass. 

Bankers Boxes are traumatic for me. I was summarily fired from a job once and I found out when I came to work and all my stuff was in bankers boxes. That story still pisses me off, and the sight of those boxes brings all those bad feelings back. 

One of my former coworkers has a personal rule. She never has more personal items in her office than what can fit in a shoe box, hence the Shoe Box Rule. She has no family pics or personal docs, no decorative items, just some travel size items like hand lotion, toothpaste and brush and Advil. She is ready to go! 

• Love 10
57 minutes ago, SHD said:

I can honestly say that as well. I thought they were just boxes that banks used to store records and the moniker stuck.

27 minutes ago, teebax said:

I think one of those was when the woman said she had a ball python (I think it was a BP) for a pet, and she added, "That's a snake." Trebek said "I know." Like the story was all for him, not the viewers. He pretty much made fun of her for having a snake as a pet, like she's a weirdo or something. That was my take on it anyway.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Anyway, the only TS I got was The Bells -- I was shouting it at my TV, but I guess they didn't hear me.

"Bells, bells, bells, bells, bells!"

1 hour ago, HavartiHead42 said:

He reminds me of Will Forte. He doesn't look like him, but his expressions and way of speaking make me think of him.

I got muff, The Bells, and TS Eliot. Instead of hogwash I said hoohah. Hmm, am I wrong or is that [also] a term for vagina?

I'm sorry to see Ali go. I liked him. Second, I liked Amanda and loved how she came up from behind. I was surprised she didn't get FJ. I've heard of the movie Suspiria. I read that it's going to be remade.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I didn’t notice a lisp, but even if I had, I figure that’s maybe something that can’t be helped, like Tom Brokaw’s speech impediment.

Tom Brokaw has a speech impediment?   I never noticed.

I liked Ali.  Oh well... Jordan seems ok but his really long neck distracted me.  I bet he is very tall and the other two contestants had to step on a box so they all looked equal heights for the cameras.  I think I read something about that in some behind the scenes article...

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of hogwash I said hoohah. Hmm, am I wrong or is that [also] a term for vagina?

You are correct sir. (To be said in an Ed McMahon voice.) Which is why I can't figure why HuHot Mongolian Grill named itself that.

50 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I bet he is very tall and the other two contestants had to step on a box so they all looked equal heights for the cameras.  I think I read something about that in some behind the scenes article...

Maybe here, where our past contestant posters have shared pictures of what it looks like behind the podium, boxes and all.

• Love 3

Two straight instaget FJs.  I can see Perth on the Australia map in my mind and a suspense movie from the 40s or 50s is almost always referring to a Hitchcock movie.  Quick trip to Vertigo.

I had muffed (swept the Football category), Bankers Boxes, and English Channel.

The show is trying to make sure a Canadian is the champ for the July 1st show.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Celestial Seasonings! Boulder! Yeay! That took me back to when I toured that company, it's a fabulous place. Not sure if they still let people step into the mint room, but don't take a deep breath if you do or you will for sure pass out. The lobby has all kinds of teas to sample, which are all delicious. I could have spent all day there. I do go there every once in a while when I take an out-of-body vacation. Carpe, you should stop in and buy me some Fast Lane.

Huh?  What?  Where am I?  Sorry, I just woke up from my mint room coma.

I remember going there first in the early 70's when it was just a few dozen hippies working there.  Now, of course, it's much bigger, but it's still a cool place with free tours.

You can order your own Fast Lane.   I'm partial to their Camomile and Mandarin Orange Spice.

• Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I didn't either, until someone pointed it out to me.  So now that Jordan's has been pointed out, I won't be able to miss it.  But I still won't hold it against him, any more than I would facial shape or position of eyes.  Hairdos, clothing choices, swaying, leaning -- things that can be easily "fixed" are fair game to me.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

A big YES, "Jones" would have been accepted. Although there probably is a Kit Jones (and a Carson Jones), but J! judges don't seem to care about that.

It's unlikely there were any other Joneses (Kit or Carson, or Mrs.) in the race, so I'd be okay without a BMS on that one.

13 hours ago, HavartiHead42 said:

I don't see that at all, but he does remind me of someone else - but I'm not going to say because I save my true mean spirited self for the couch, the mister is used to it. And yet, he still thinks I'm nice.

13 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

He's both. But I kind of had to laugh because my mother was also a naturalized citizen, and there were times when she was totally American and others when she rooted for her original home team. And sometimes she couldn't choose between the two. It must be hard, I think, to change your citizenship.

12 hours ago, teebax said:

I'm sorry that happened to you. That's just flat rude.

Edited by Clanstarling
Typo - because "hoe team" and "home team" are two different things.
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

A while back I thought he did, and then I heard someone do an impression of him -- Stephen Colbert? someone on SNL? -- so I was somewhat glad to have my suspicions confirmed.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

A while back I thought he did, and then I heard someone do an impression of him -- Stephen Colbert? someone on SNL? -- so I was somewhat glad to have my suspicions confirmed.

10-15 years ago, a Detroit radio personality used to feature segments on his show with a character called "Tom Brokejaw"...so funny...and spot on!

• Love 3

While I never thought Ali to be "smug," perhaps others thought him so because, if I remember correctly, he did not open his mouth/show his teeth when he smiled. Americans all do a toothy smile, which is upsetting to dogs, animals that only display teeth when they are showing aggression. I always felt he was humble and gracious.

I believe dogs prefer a "smug" person.

Carpe, I was at Celestial Seasoning in the '80s. Maybe it's not such a great place to visit now that it's a big corporation. Nothing is as good as remembered. I get CS emails announcing sales and so forth so can buy Fast Lane. It quit making it for a while, then brought it back. I like it because it had the best box cover art. Being in the graphics field, that was the important thing. CS has beautiful box art on all its teas.

5b2e66e471330_fastlane.png.e0e080f3da42e31329d080c63130d46b.png

• Love 5

Incredibly easy FJ

Real meltdown by the champ in the second half of DJ.  He was cruising and looked to be running away with it again until then. 

I got muff, and others, but that one stands out.  I always though calling dropped a kickoff/punt a muff was a funny term.  Oh and English channel I got.  I thought that Real GOTs category or whatever it was called was incredibly easy.  Really, France, English channel, Lancaster and York, Henry the VII?  Not very tough questions whether you know the show or not. 

• Love 5

The dead rat story was certainly a memorable one as an introduction to a contestant. I liked how her sunny demeanor didn't fade, she still had that cheery voice and big smile even with the words "frozen dead rat" coming out of her mouth! I think it threw Alex off, a bit.

I had to Google Suspiria and was surprised to find out it was the title of a movie

It was out when I was in high school. I was a big Johnny Carson fan back then, and post-midnight TV had lots of commercials for Suspiria for a few months. They scared the hell out of me. I was never a horror fan. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Huh?  What?  Where am I?  Sorry, I just woke up from my mint room coma.

I remember going there first in the early 70's when it was just a few dozen hippies working there.  Now, of course, it's much bigger, but it's still a cool place with free tours.

You can order your own Fast Lane.   I'm partial to their Camomile and Mandarin Orange Spice.

Ohhh....I will join in on a cup of tea :)  Mandarin Orange Spice, very good.  My daughter lives in the Denver area & we did a tour of the Celestial Seasonings plant/tea room....the smells are wonderful.  

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

CS has beautiful box art on all its teas.

It does!  There was a big kerfuffle a year or two ago when they changed the Sleepytime cover and removed the cozy fireplace.  So many people complained that they restored the original artwork.

Good grief!  Sorry for the huge images!

CEL002.jpg

81yVeG+7uwL._SX522_.jpg

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 9
16 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

It does!  There was a big kerfuffle a year or two ago when they changed the Sleepytime cover and removed the cozy fireplace.  So many people complained that they restored the original artwork.

I remember that kerfuffle! Seems like there also used to be a cover featuring the bear in its nightclothes walking to bed with a candle holder in its hand.

I have Vanilla Hazelnut (boring cover), Tension Tamer, Candy Cane Lane and Sweet Harvest Pumpkin CS teas in my cupboard. No Fast Lane though. Fast Lane's cover makes me laugh.

19 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Good grief!  Sorry for the huge images!

If you double click on the image in edit mode, the picture box will get resizing corners so you can drag the image smaller. It's fussy though, so good luck!

1 hour ago, opus said:

I think this was mentioned upthread, that Suspiria is getting a remake due November. I don't know how closely it follows the original though.

I've never heard of this movie, but the remake has Dakota and Tilda so could be okay. Except I don't do scary movies. (Although Scary Movie was pretty fun.)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I got muff, and others, but that one stands out.  I always though calling dropped a kickoff/punt a muff was a funny term.  Oh and English channel I got.  I thought that Real GOTs category or whatever it was called was incredibly easy.  Really, France, English channel, Lancaster and York, Henry the VII?  Not very tough questions whether you know the show or not. 

My synapses weren't firing quickly last night. I knew all the GOTs, but none of them managed to come out of my mouth (I got Lancaster...but York was moseying down the path). I did not remember "muff" from days of yore when I used to watch football.

• Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me today, having suffered with a brief episode of vertigo a few years ago.  It was kind of fun -- I could almost control it.  I only got dizzy when I turned my head to the right (or rolled over onto my right side at night).  It's very interesting when the world is spinning and you're lying in bed!

I just learned about the Epley maneuver (I don't remember how). I wonder if that would have helped you? There are also other maneuvers.

19 hours ago, SHD said:

Me neither. Is that why they're so expensive?

Is Alex all right? He didn't say Rrrrobbie Burrrns in his usual way, though he did affect the accent during the clue, so I guess he's OK.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, dcalley said:

I just learned about the Epley maneuver (I don't remember how). I wonder if that would have helped you? There are also other maneuvers.

I did that a bit, and it did help, but ultimately, the vertigo went away as suddenly and inexplicably as it arrived.  Even more entertaining than almost controlling it -- if I rolled over to the right quickly enough, it took a second or two for the vertigo to "catch up" with me.  I'm a scientist, so the science behind that benign positional vertigo fascinates me.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did that a bit, and it did help, but ultimately, the vertigo went away as suddenly and inexplicably as it arrived.  Even more entertaining than almost controlling it -- if I rolled over to the right quickly enough, it took a second or two for the vertigo to "catch up" with me.  I'm a scientist, so the science behind that benign positional vertigo fascinates me.

Mine never completely went away, even after months of treatment. I have exactly what you had when I turn over. It's like a bad movie "freak out" effect where the visual lags behind the movement. 

• Love 3

Mine occurs when I turn my head to the left. I can't just turn my head to look at the alarm clock; I either have to pick up the clock, blindly groping for it, or turn my entire body. My doctor explained that my inner ear is like a snowglobe with calcium crystals. When I move a certain way, it's like shaking the snowglobe and I'm dizzy until the "snow" settles back down. I'm afraid to try that Epley maneuver - I don't wanna get dizzy while I'm doing it. 

• Love 3