Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

No BMS for Rachel Carson?

Bye, David.

Rachel was in the clue, wasn't it? 

I won't miss David either. Truth or Consequences, Texas??? Gah! 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, teebax said:

Yes, it was.

"Always. Rachel" is a collection of authors by this author of "Silent Spring"

As for the BMS, I'm now imagining an illiterate frontiersman writing about the dangers of pesticides. Makes perfect sense to me. :) 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I can dust off my flute if you guys are thinking of a J!Orchestra...

Dust it off right now!  And if you have a pair of those cymbals you can bang between your knees, I think we can use a percussion section.

13 minutes ago, teebax said:

It was a lame attempt at a Carson joke.  Probably why I never go near those.  : /

4 hours ago, Kathira said:

I played in the band, too, but it was the flute for me. Mr. K played the sax, and Little K is following in his footsteps. I've occasionally thought of taking up the flute again, too. We have a couple of different fun community bands around here, mostly made up of adults who miss their glory days in band. (This one time, at band camp...)

My primary instruments were violin and viola, but trombone was my entrée into band.  That's where I learned how to make a Windsor knot--we had to wear ties in band. 

Two flutes, two saxes, a trombone, and a viola.  Who are the charter members of the PreviouslyTV Jeopardy! Band, Alex?

• Love 6

So glad David is gone. He was extra annoying today, and his OTT-ness was a huge contrast to the calmness of Tracey & Catherine. 

We laughed & laughed when David started at the $600 clue & it was the DD.

We got a 'good for you' & 5 clues worth of Italian accents. My daughter is Eugenie, but we pronounce it the French way; too bad Alex had to say it the Anglicanized way as I suppose they do in the movie (I've only seen it once & it was probably close to 30 years ago so don't remember)

Shoutout to @teebax's Eagles!

TS I got were Bonnie Blue, Stein (Tracey's missed DD), iron ore. I said artist for painter which I guess would not have been accepted. FJ was an instaget (trombone mom here, but I would have gotten it anyway)

3 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Agreed. Did she not realize David could still overtake her? If Catherine were wrong and bet to protect against Tracey going all in (the typical bet for the leader), Tracey would have finished $1 ahead of her, but David bet to beat Tracey. We could have had another day of David. Ugh. 

That was pretty boneheaded, and I'll bet she was kicking herself when the clue was so easy. 

27 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Two flutes, two saxes, a trombone, and a viola.  Who are the charter members of the PreviouslyTV Jeopardy! Band, Alex?

I'll join - 3 flute players, although I also played French horn at my all-girls' high school since flute players were in abundance. Switched back to flute in college. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, forumfish said:

As soon as David picked the middle clue and it was revealed to be the Daily Double and he had no money, I yelled "serves him right!"

I started reading Crime and Punishment for HS Senoir English, but when the teacher announced that several of us already had an "A" for the semester and therefore wouldn't have to take the final exam, I stopped in the middle of the book. I never did pick it up again and have no idea how it ends.

It was my favorite book in high school. I read it in junior year when it wasn't even required reading. My history teacher mentioned it and I thought it sounded interesting. Ending is spoiler tagged in case you want to pick up the book again:

Spoiler

Raskolnikov confesses, broken down by his own guilt and Porfiry Petrovich's cat-and-mouse investigation. He goes to Siberia, accompanied by Sonia. He marries her and gets religion.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

And if you have a pair of those cymbals you can bang between your knees, I think we can use a percussion section

Me, me, Waves hands frantically! Can I be in the percussion section ? I can play cymbals, triangles and, of course, the gong as well as various clacking woods, chimes, and whistles. (I just love percussion instruments).

• Love 8

You got a violin player in me! 

Heh, another GWTW question.  

I haven't read any Dostoesvsky. I don't know the difference betw Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamovoff. I need to do some studyin'.

I just read Crime for my book group.  And HATED it. I found the lead character so annoying. 

• Love 4

As soon as David picked the middle clue and it was revealed to be the Daily Double and he had no money, I yelled "serves him right!"

And then he gave what he probably thought was a cute shrug and smile. It really made me want him gone. Like it was just bad luck that he landed on the DD? He picked it! The DD is never under a $200 clue, so if you don't want the DD to start the game, pick one of those. It was like he wanted sympathy for getting the DD right away. Annoying little tool. So glad he's gone. 

• Love 10

Please, Flying Spaghetti Monster*, make him flame out on Monday.

I've never prayed (nor met) Flying Spaghetti Monster, but I'll pray to he-she-it from now on.

I totally take back what I said about David on Friday. He annoyed the living, er, daylights out of me during his second appearance, Monday night, and I yayed when he lost. Mr. Author thought "the girl on the end" (hmmm...great book title!) who won was "very pretty" and thus rooted for her.

Mr. Author is a tad shallow.

• Love 7
(edited)

So many of us joining the band. Now I don’t mind providing snacks etc but no green room over the top requests will be allowed (like only green peanut M&M’s because they allegedly make your horney). Lol

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

So glad David is gone. He was extra annoying today, and his OTT-ness was a huge contrast to the calmness of Tracey & Catherine. 

We laughed & laughed when David started at the $600 clue & it was the DD.

We got a 'good for you' & 5 clues worth of Italian accents. My daughter is Eugenie, but we pronounce it the French way; too bad Alex had to say it the Anglicanized way as I suppose they do in the movie (I've only seen it once & it was probably close to 30 years ago so don't remember)

Shoutout to @teebax's Eagles!

TS I got were Bonnie Blue, Stein (Tracey's missed DD), iron ore. I said artist for painter which I guess would not have been accepted. FJ was an instaget (trombone mom here, but I would have gotten it anyway)

That was pretty boneheaded, and I'll bet she was kicking herself when the clue was so easy. 

I'll join - 3 flute players, although I also played French horn at my all-girls' high school since flute players were in abundance. Switched back to flute in college. 

I play the oboe. Completely useless but I'm in. 

• Love 10
(edited)
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I can’t play any instruments but love music. I’d be willing to be everyone’s support person and provide snacks and drinks to keep y’all’s energy levels up. 

Back in the day I used to say I play the radio. The mister is a musician, so I just brought the applause. Let me tell you, it takes some skill to sound like multiple people. So I will happily support ya'll

52 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

I've never prayed (nor met) Flying Spaghetti Monster, but I'll pray to he-she-it from now on.

I totally take back what I said about David on Friday. He annoyed the living, er, daylights out of me during his second appearance, Monday night, and I yayed when he lost. Mr. Author thought "the girl on the end" (hmmm...great book title!) who won was "very pretty" and thus rooted for her.

Mr. Author is a tad shallow.

Unlike the rest of us, who have measured and reasoned for the contestants we root for or hate.?

Between basketball and news, we have missed most of Jeopardy for the last week. ☹️

Pay no attention to the empty quote box. I am fat thumbed on my phone.

PS Mister Clanstarling's music just came up on my music app. Color me happy.

52 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 9
(edited)
16 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I won't miss that smug kid either. I got ones you mentioned except Bonnie Blue, but I did get priest for Prete and Japan for the Sakhalin and You Only Live Twice. I don't really mind Catherine though. 

I sucked at the Italian category - thought I knew more Italian than I do, apparently.  I got iron, Japan, You Only Live Twice, and Bonnie Blue Butler (my mom is a dedicated GWTW fan).  I liked Catherine. 

It wasn't a triple stumper, but I also got Big Tits National Park.  (Yes, I am really a 12 year old boy at heart.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

And then he gave what he probably thought was a cute shrug and smile. It really made me want him gone. Like it was just bad luck that he landed on the DD? He picked it! The DD is never under a $200 clue, so if you don't want the DD to start the game, pick one of those. It was like he wanted sympathy for getting the DD right away. Annoying little tool. So glad he's gone. 

I thought it was once fairly recently, but maybe it was a $400 clue or the top clue in Double Jeopardy.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, teebax said:

I was forced to play the recorder many many years ago. Recorder music sells, right?

• Love 8
(edited)

I missed the beginning of this show so thankfully missed any David OTT mugging. He was irritating throughout though, and became incredibly stupid in my eyes when he said Truth Or Consequences is in Texas and Yosemite is in Wyoming. I mean, freaking WHAT? I can see not knowing Italian Opera or 13th Century Literature but those things are in the United States and are on a United States map and have been for ages for anyone to see and/or visit. So good job, David, buzz in first so you can give your completely wrong and insanely stupid answers.

I like the new champ. She's calm and collected, plus didn't give her answers in upspeak, a pet peeve of mine. Say it like you mean it, players.

I took piano lessons in grade school, back when every home had an upright piano. I quit when I was old enough for gymnastic lessons as my mom couldn't afford both. I can still play Chopsticks (and maybe Twinkle Twinkle Little Star) on the piano if the band wants to include that. Otherwise, I'm musically stunted.

That's proven by my FJ answer of bugle. Because "sackbut" means get your butt out of the sack, right? And bugles play Reveille. I have no idea what A/B and C/D means, but the measurements combined are about the size of a bugle.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, teebax said:

My best friend in HS played the oboe.  Anything but useless.  We will not abide talk like that in the PTVJ! Band.

13 minutes ago, opus said:

I was forced to play the recorder many many years ago. Recorder music sells, right?

I play recorder, too.  Sadly, it does not sell.  But we are above crass commercial concerns.

5 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

What is....the first song that the Jeopardy band will play? 

"I Know There's an Answer" by the Beach Boys?  Actually we'll play anything you want us to, @Mindthinkr, as long as you feed us.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, opus said:

My son played the recorder in school too, then he became a professional bass player; I'll have to send him in my place since I don't play an instrument.  I'll help out with the snacks and applause.

I liked both women contestants but Tracey was determined to lose with that poor FJ wager.

My only ts was iron; I also got half of Bonnie Blue.

14 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

FJ wasn't an instaget because I'd never heard sackbut before but the inches part of the clue got me there pretty quickly.

Yes, it was the inches that got me to the answer - I think I have heard the word sackbut but didn't know what it meant.

You Only Live Twice was an FJ answer within the last few months.

And, everybody remember that Justified won the Triple Crown on Saturday, so that will probably be coming up in about six weeks or so.

• Love 9

I suggest we name the band The Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Band featuring the Good For You Rhythm Section and the Women Authors Singers. The playlist will include The Think Music, standards in foreign languages (with the correct pronunciation) and, of course, Drinking Songs. All the titles will be in the form of a question.

• Love 20

I play keyboards and am a devotee of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.  Willing to take turns with other piano pounders, or pound drums instead.  Or chop garlic.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Brookside said:

Violin here.

Grateful it's virtual J!Band.  This way I can pretend I could still get a half decent note out.

Same here!  Eight years of violin and I was technically okay and could produce the correct sounds but not beautiful music.  I guess that's the difference between having talent and not.  It broke my heart to be a talentless dork.  I loved my violin so much...

• Love 8
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Suggestions for the play list: Don't Ask Me No Questions (Lynyrd Skynyrd), The Question Is (Billy Idol).

And Weird Al's I Lost On Jeopardy

1 hour ago, Trey said:

And, everybody remember that Justified won the Triple Crown on Saturday, so that will probably be coming up in about six weeks or so

Justify, not Justified

Edited by opus
  • Love 8
(edited)
6 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I suggest we name the band The Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Band featuring the Good For You Rhythm Section and the Women Authors Singers. 

Bawahaha!  Could that be Orchestra instead of Band, though, because, you know, the string section?

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 9

Well I for one am excited about our orchestra. Will work on menu planning and post it tomorrow. Basically like a craft table that has a mix of healthy options and some decadent snacks. Any special requests? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I suggest we name the band The Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Band featuring the Good For You Rhythm Section and the Women Authors Singers. The playlist will include The Think Music, standards in foreign languages (with the correct pronunciation) and, of course, Drinking Songs. All the titles will be in the form of a question.

This is hysterical and considerably brightened up my bleak and depressing horrible terrible day. So thanks.

• Love 6

The rules of Jeopardy! may limit us to song titles in the form of questions.  I'll see if I can clarify that with the judges (*cough*).

If not, how about "96 Tears" by Question Mark and the Mysterians?

@CarpeDiem54, I was a pretty decent violinist also--I played from age 7 t0 19.  So maybe we can step out front and do the Bach Double (Jeopardy!) Concerto.

4 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Any special requests? 

"Melon-choly Baby"? 

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, opus said:

Justify, not Justified

D'oh! Of course it is Justify.  My apologies to anyone who might give the wrong answer because of my mistake:)

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Bawahaha!  Could that be Orchestra instead of Band, tough, because, you know, the string section?

Of course. So it is the Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra featuring the Good For You Rhythm Section and the Women Authors Singers. With the No Boo Hiss Players and the Alber Camoo Dancers.

• Love 12
(edited)
46 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

This is hysterical and considerably brightened up my bleak and depressing horrible terrible day. So thanks.

Me too Saber. I’ve had a lot of fun coming here to see what everyone was posting and all of your (everyone’s) childhood or hidden talents. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
What is clarification?
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Well I for one am excited about our orchestra. Will work on menu planning and post it tomorrow. Basically like a craft table that has a mix of healthy options and some decadent snacks. Any special requests? 

Biscoff cookies please - the ones you get on Delta flights.  I'd ask for Biscoff butter in a jar, but it's hard to share.

• Love 3

Mr. Pallida and I had interesting brain derps for FJ. Somehow, I pictured a trumpet and said "trombone" and he pictured a trombone and said "trumpet." I won't complain that I continue my trend of being right more often than him. For Jeopardy. Maybe other things too. 

My fingers are crossed for "Who Let the Dogs Out" by the Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra featuring the Good For You Rhythm Section and the Women Authors Singers. With the No Boo Hiss Players and the Alber Camoo Dancers. Maybe also a Weird Al-esque parody of "What's My Age Again" intersected with "before your time" references. 

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

@CarpeDiem54, I was a pretty decent violinist also--I played from age 7 t0 19.  So maybe we can step out front and do the Bach Double (Jeopardy!) Concerto.

I play too.   I think we're up to four now, so maybe we can call ourselves the Double Dark Bubbles.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Of course. So it is the Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra featuring the Good For You Rhythm Section and the Women Authors Singers. With the No Boo Hiss Players and the Alber Camoo Dancers.

And we must play Genre music.

• Love 8