Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E22: Streets of Fire

• Start Topic

For once, I've actually done something stunt like related to this episode!  That is, I've shot a compound bow.  Not WELL, mind you, and if you need someone to come and rescue you with a bow and arrow I am really not the person you should call, but I've done it. And some of the adjustable compound bows - the ones they give kids and those doing archery for the very first time (me!) - are also pretty easy to draw. So THAT part I'll buy.  Ok, I'd have to handwave that Oliver is running around with a kiddie training bow but this show is already having me handwave a lot so since my hands are already moving, yay.

The problems are that a) actually hitting the target even under optimum conditions (the target isn't moving, there's no wind, and it's a gorgeous sunny day with people hanging out and laughing, not people actively trying to kill you) takes some practice, and b) within in the show, we've seen everybody - Oliver, Helena, and Roy - fail to hit the target when they first started out, and then being told to hit water (which was not included in my archery lessons) and practice a lot.  So even apart from my experience, I don't think it's realistic to see anyone hit a target for the first time, and if that's what they're going for, I hope we either get a line about massively good luck, or something about how Laurel headed out to an archery training camp before this.

• Love 4

My response to that promo? "Fuck off!" At least in terms of them still desperately trying to make Laurel Lance happen. At one point, I almost hoped that they were actually going to get rid of the biggest drag on this entire show, but it seems they have ideas to the contrary.

• Love 2

In her defense, it looked like a point-blank shot.

But thirding the "Oh Hellz No!".  I paused and replayed that part in the desperate hope that it was actually Thea (which would have made sense since we have Malcolm back and she's named "Speedy" and all).  But alas, no. 

I think I'll need to drunk-watch this ep to get through it.  I've been trying really hard to not get jaded, but the EPs seem to be doing everything they can to disappoint us.

(edited)

We know Laurel is fond of blackmail. Is it possible Katie Cassidy has something on the producers, which explains both how she is still on the show and why they instant on forcing her into otherwise interesting stories?

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 2

We know Laurel is fond of blackmail. Is it possible Katie Cassidy has something on the producers, which explains both how she is still on the show and why they instant on forcing her into otherwise interesting stories?

Seriously though, there has to be SOMETHING going on for them to keep pushing her character like this. 

I wonder if it is worse for those of us who are not comic book savvy because we don't care about the canon of GA and BC?   Or is it just hell for everyone seeing Laurel getting propped up on such a pedestal?

(edited)

Joking aside, I'd say there are two likely possibilities. One, the producers recognize she is not a fan favorite but don't understand why, so they are forcing her into more parts of the show where she really doesn't belong in order to drum up her appeal, ironically making a lot of people like her even less. Or else they have something big planned for her and need her in the forefront to either become the Black Canary she is 'supposed' to be (Ugh! Then why did you introduce Sara as the BC?) or else to kill her off and get a big emotional reaction. Unfortunately for the showrunners, if it is the latter it still won't go their way because for a lot of the people here that reaction would be "HOORAY!"

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 1
I wonder if it is worse for those of us who are not comic book savvy because we don't care about the canon of GA and BC?   Or is it just hell for everyone seeing Laurel getting propped up on such a pedestal?

I'm a comic reader and it's hell for me because Laurel is so NOT Black Canary. Sara and CL are doing a great job of the type of BC I want to watch. I don't care that Laurel has the name; Sara has the abilities and a believable back story of how she acquired her skills.

• Love 3
(edited)

I wonder if it is worse for those of us who are not comic book savvy because we don't care about the canon of GA and BC?   Or is it just hell for everyone seeing Laurel getting propped up on such a pedestal?

I know the GA/BC dynamic through animated offerings and a whole lot of wiki page readings during the run of Smallville.  I feel like I've gotten to know who these characters are at their comic book core and while Oliver is so much darker than his counterpart in the comics, he makes sense with Arrow being an origin story, Laurel just plain doesn't resemble any part of anything I've come to associate with the Black Canary.  I was excited to read they were going to have BC on Arrow and have only been horridly disappointed until Sara showed up. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Oh, for fuck's sake.  Laurel with that compound bow is quite literally the fucking most stupid thing this show has ever done.  And that is saying something.

What the fuck are they doing to my favorite show?  Please, fellow Arrowans (?) help talk me from the ledge because the more they prop up Laurel the closer I get to jumping. 

think I'll need to drunk-watch this ep to get through it.  I've been trying really hard to not get jaded, but the EPs seem to be doing everything they can to disappoint us.

I think we need to invent an Arrow drinking game. 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3

Really, there are two directions to go with Laurel, now she knows Oliver's secret. Co-conspirator or gone from the show. I wish it was going to be the latter, but it seems like the writers and producers all want to keep the character around, for reasons I find inexplicable.

I took heart from Oliver saying that it was time Team Arrow was just a trio again, but then they went and ruined it by having Laurel get involved and save Oliver anyway. Of all the people on this show, there is no one I want to join this team less than Laurel Lance. Particularly if her tactic continues to be, 'Felicity, Diggle, piss off so I can talk to Oliver'.

• Love 3

I took heart from Oliver saying that it was time Team Arrow was just a trio again, but then they went and ruined it by having Laurel get involved and save Oliver anyway.

That's why I think what they're doing on this show is such a cheat.  They pay lip service to what the audience is asking for, and occasionally a scene like the one with Felicity and Diggle trying to stop Oliver from sacrificing himself (and which serves to show how much more attractive Oliver is, and how much better Amell's acting is opposite people who are not KC), and then it's back again full speed to St. Laurel.

I tweeted to AK that I cheered when Oliver said it's time to get back to the three of them only to be even more disappointed when Laurel pulled him away but given Kreisburg's mindset, I doubt he paid any attention..

That's why I think what they're doing on this show is such a cheat.  They pay lip service to what the audience is asking for, and occasionally a scene like the one with Felicity and Diggle trying to stop Oliver from sacrificing himself (and which serves to show how much more attractive Oliver is, and how much better Amell's acting is opposite people who are not KC), and then it's back again full speed to St. Laurel.

I tweeted to AK that I cheered when Oliver said it's time to get back to the three of them only to be even more disappointed when Laurel pulled him away but given Kreisburg's mindset, I doubt he paid any attention..

I'm not even convinced they realise they're doing it. It seems like they might think they're paying attention to what fans want, with the Team Arrow stuff, but then realising that they need to shoehorn Laurel in somewhere, because she's otherwise worthless. And so they don't even get that they're undermining what they claim is the foundation of the show.

It wouldn't be the first show I've watched that has been damaged by showrunners who feel they need to tell a particular story or use a particular character, when it's to the detriment of the overall product. In fact, I'd say more shows die that way than any other. In this case, I really wish I could understand what they're trying to achieve, but I just don't. Do the writers like Laurel or don't they? They force her into storylines like they think she's the bee's knees, but then they write her like crap in those storylines.

• Love 3

then they write her like crap in those storylines.

True.  But if they actually knew what crap was, would they still be trying to force her into storylines like she's the greatest thing on the show?

Really show, you had to go there? Laurel gives the pep talks to Oliver and Sara? Next season they'll probably say she gave pep talks to Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Booster Gold, Hawkman, Aquaman, and Doctor Fate.

I wanted ARGUS to show up, but I would have preferred them to show up another way. I was hoping that after the van crashed, and Team Arrow was surrounded shots would ring out on Slade's men, Bronze Tiger would come out of nowhere and take out one of Slade's men, and Waller and Deashot would have walked up and said "Looks like you could use some help." This way we get Team Arrow joining forces with The Suicide Squad, and Waller could recruit Slade.

I was also hoping for The League of Assassins to save Thea from Malcolm. That would have been a great moment if we heard someone say "Hello Malcolm. You thought you could hide from us?", and it's Nyssa. I want closure on The Undertaking pissing off Ra's. I suppose they could say someone from the League instead of Thea killed Malcolm, but they'd want Malcolm to know who killed him.

As for the previews: Team Arrow and The League vs Slade's army? Bring it on.

• Love 1

Okay, now that I've seen the episode, I take back a lot of what I was thinking.  I enjoyed it, and I'll be back for next week.

After the 'Laurel saves Oliver' scene and return to Diggle & Felicity, they pretty much kept Laurel with Sara and Quentin, which is just the way I can take her, while Oliver was with Felicity and Diggle, especially Felicity.  They should have had more for Diggle to do but much of the episode was a gift to Felicity fans.  Oliver's support in his almost-darkest hour was from Felicity,and thank you to whoever wrote the show that it ended on "I believe in you" rather than I love you.

Yay for Malcolm's return, in all his dubious glory.  I can't believe I didn't see before how much Willa Holland looks like John Barrowman. I can totally believe Thea is his daughter.

Nice stuff between Laurel and Sara, and long overdue.

ARGUS -- badass and while effective, really not one of the good guys.

• Love 2

Remind me not to buy any property in Starling City.  Property values must be hell.

Seriously  dude after that speech by Felicity if Oliver doesn't pick her he is an idiot.  

So if Thea shot Malcolm do you think he will be proud of her?

• Love 4

Yay! Felicity ran over Isabel with a van!

Nay! This actually was not as useful as it could have been.

Yay! This meant we got later scenes of Summer Glau stabbing Sebastian Blood!

Nay! Good grief, Blood, you help to bring in an evil superpowered army which in turn leads to ARGUS deciding to blow the city to kingdom come and you're like, Great start to my mayoral term! What was this? I know you are insane but STILL.

Yay! ARGUS showed up!

Nay! ARGUS has been watching the Avengers but apparently went to the bathroom during Nick Fury's line about the stupidity of all this!

Yay! Oliver is hurting Roy again!  The kid is growing on me, but this never gets old.

Nay! Roy is still out cold.

Yay! Thea did something pretty awesome with a gun - though I also think she shot someone behind Merlyn. Looked like camera misdirection to me. But still, Thea did something!

Nay! Kate Spencer's neck is all broken. Actually I'm not sure why I'm saddened by this - she's arguably one of the worst TV District Attorneys ever. Oh, wait. I am sure. This means Laurel is in line to be the new DA.

Nay!

moving on.

Yay! Mirakura cure is helpfully coded BRIGHT GLOWING BLUE so you won't take it by mistake. I really wish some of my medications were color coded like that.  I liked Felicity complaining about it.

Yay! Everybody was hugging, and hugging, and then hugging some more, and then, more hugging.  I counted like ten hugs although one of those was Random Little Kid and Tearful Mother.  Very cheerful!

Nay! Of course all of this hugging was against a lot of death and destruction, so, timing maybe could have been a bit better?

Yay! Sara saved a little boy from a burning house. That was very nice.  See, Laurel, what happens when you are nice and friendly to people? They save little kids from burning buildings.

Nay! Sara still looks DEPRESSED and down. Gulp, gulp.

Yay! Laurel is saying nice inspirational things!  She is correctly telling Oliver that she doesn't need him, other people do! (Where was this revelation last episode?)

Hilarious Nay! Despite this, as Felicity and Sara and Oliver and random Star Labs dude and Diggle and EVEN BLOOD are running around saving people, Laurel is....standing on the street watching people get saved. Her sole heroic moment was to use one of Oliver's arrows to blast her own way to safety. I laughed. 

Though otherwise I liked Laurel more than usual this episode.  Take note, writers looking for something that kinda works: Cheerleader Laurel kinda works.

Yay! Despite death, destruction, fire and evil superpowered beings marching through the city, the Starlng City news STAYS ON, and everybody, but everybody, stops to watch it. Get these people Pulitzers, NOW.

• Love 7

Seriously  dude after that speech by Felicity if Oliver doesn't pick her he is an idiot.  

Oliver and Felicity look at each other and they put Oliver/Laurel's sex scene last season to shame.  That's lightning in a bottle kind of chemistry.  

Though I'm already befuddled double over if they do force Laurel into the Black Canary role eventually and equally force Lauriver endgame?  How are both of these arcs not going to be compared to the arcs that came before?  Laurel-BC constantly compared to Sara-BC (and left wanting), the Lauriver love story compared to the Olicity love story which does indeed seem to be happening (and Lauriver left wanting)?

As if Katie Cassidy weren't already climbing up a very steep mountain, they throw the Sara-BC and Olicity boulders at her as well?  If I didn't know better and despite the gushing they do in interviews about KC/Laurel, I'd seriously wonder if the writers/EPs were legitimately trying to sabotage KC/Laurel, but try to do it so no one of relevance (KC or her people or whoever keeps pushing she stay in "Arrow") realizes what they're doing.

Yeah. 

This was definitely one of Laurel's better episodes this season: she managed to work past her fear and oxygen deprivation and shoot an arrow to save herself. Good. She then remembered to talk to her father to reassure him.  She then correctly told Oliver that others needed him more than he did and spent most of the rest of the episode heading to a safe place instead of a dangerous one, even if that meant heading through a dangerous area. She gave her sister a nice needed pep talk which, if not really one of the episode's highlights, was Laurel for once focused on someone not named Laurel.  She was able to recognize the military vehicles as, well, military vehicles, although since I did too and I'm ultracivilian, that probably doesn't mean much.  She wasn't judgemental.

This is all a huge improvement over the Laurel we've seen earlier. (Except the Birds of Prey episode.)  Huge.  Give her a couple of funny lines and she's fine. No wonder Cassidy was excited - I can only imagine her thinking, my god, I might not get hate comments after this!

Only, in one of the few decent episodes for Laurel this season, she happens to appear in the same episode where:

1. Felicity runs over a bad guy with a van, saving Diggle; her work with Star Labs is why they have the Mirakuru; she gives Oliver his pep speech even though she looks like she's about to fall over; and she argues against human experimentation.  She gets a funny line with the airbag.  Her only real failure is in not realizing that Slade has tapped her phone - and that's a biggie. But still.

2. Despite being All Sad, Sara runs into a burning house and saves a little kid. All together now: AWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Cops later agree it was the bravest thing they've ever seen. All together now: AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

While Laurel stands helplessly in the streets, just watching.

Seriously, that comparison did Laurel no favors.

3. Thea shots someone: either her father, in which case she's tried to take out the major bad from last season, or another villain.

4. Diggle survives a fight with Isabel which since Isabel can survive getting run over by a van is something.

5. Even BLOOD does something heroic.

Steep mountain is an understatement.

• Love 4

Pretty sure Sara is toast next week. She gets a taste of being a hero so what's more heroic than sacrificing herself to save the city? Then (pardon me while I choke down bile) Laurel will pick up The Canary mantel.

Things I Liked:

*Quentin getting his detective's shield back! (Shoulda been sooner, but I'm glad for him.)

*Malcolm Merlyn and all his crazy

*Felicity being her usual awesome self

*Team Arrow caring for all of themselves (or at least, all the ones they know are in town)

*Isabelle in her costume- whether she is Ravager or Lady Deathstroke, she makes the whole thing work. With nigh-unto stiletto heels too! (We also saw the pretty, pretty hair.)

*Our Russian buddy! Poor Russian buddy; no one can speak Russian well and it must hurt. Everyone loves Spanish and French and Asian languages, but Russian? ;p

*Blood knowing where his exit is on the Crazy Train Express. He wanted to Malcolm Merlyn, but had a more insane and unstoppable guy as a "patron". Another reason I am in no hurry to think about villainy as an occupation.

Things I Did NOT Like:

*Laurel acting proud of one act of heroism Sara performed with Laurel in proximity- and only because Laurel can't stay where she's told no matter how badly the city is going to hell around her! Especially as she does nothing heroic herself when she is disregarding folks' advice to stay put/safe! Does someone else have to die because of her to get that through her head?! Tommy apparently wasn't worth those tears she cried and the grudge she had against The Hood.

*The entire batch of The Cure (not the band, sorry) was smuggled out. Unless after Slade eyed the briefcase and was all 'Hah! Oliver will never win- I am that good!' and was okay with Sebastian going to 'secure' it. That's the only way to see it, imo, because Isobel and Slade seemed unsurprised. Isobel seemed more annoyed.

*That is NOT anything close to Amanda Waller and I feel badly for Cynthia Addai-Robinson playing such a dumb character (compared to the original comics!The Wall)

*That poor PTSD Thea couldn't reel off a list as long of her arm as to why Malcolm is not her father (in no order: not being her father, letting her believe Tommy was just Oliver's friend and not her half-brother, not protecting Moira and herself from Slade, attempted murder of her father and brother, well, obviously more could be figured out)

*No Sin and only poor unconscious Roy (to be fair, the preview hints that is dealt with next week)

Things I LOVED:

*Felicity running down Isobel with the van

*Anything Team Arrow

*Felicity's pep talk and the returned hug

*Slade in the flashback (Mr. Bennett is very nice to look at)

Two things about the preview:

A) Was that chainmail I saw a flash of? ::tries not to squee again::

B)I loved the broad-seeming slo-mo hero/power walk

It had better be broughten next week, just sayin'.

Seriously, that comparison did Laurel no favors.

Well all she has to do is take the outfit off her sister's corpse, put it on and everyone will think she did all those heroic things. So she gets to be an instant super hero!

Sigh. Yes, but if the show does go there, then basically, we have a show that says, ok, we're going to show you these two sisters, see? One of them is going to run into a burning building and save a kid! The other one is going to stand in the street! And guess what, we've decided to turn the one standing in the street into the superhero!

It's just visually wrong, which is why I'm hoping this is a fakeout that will allow Laurel to become Manhunter and Sara to stay with the LoA. 

• Love 2
(edited)

This was definitely one of Laurel's better episodes this season:

LOL, she was actually a normally functioning rational person.  Am I expected to love her for that?

Between some of the episodes since Christmas and this one, it seems like the show has multiple personality disorder.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

So Malcolm didn't get shot by Thea? Huh.

Anyway, I will always love the first incarnation of Captain Jack Harkness on Dr. Who, so I'm always glad to see John Barrowman too.

And Sebastian Blood is really dead dead, right?

• Love 1
(edited)

Holy crap! If I just pretend that Laurel wasn't in it at all that was fucking AWESOME.

You can't bring back Malcolm Fucking Merlyn just kill him off again! Come on!  In the 5 minutes of screen time between Malcolm and Thea I nearly forgot all the terrible things Malcolm did and just wanted him to protect his baby girl. Such is the force of the the Barrowman eye fuck.

Loved Felicity telling Oliver to buck up and soldier on.  And Oliver hugged her back :). That was great. 

Poor redshirt courier :(. You died heroically.

I didn't want Blood to die already. He was just trying to redeem himself.

My favorite twist.  That the CITY is Oliver's love. I gotta give hats off to that, because OF COURSE it's the city. That was just a brilliant choice that never ONCE crossed my mind. 

Also, I think now the person that Oliver loves more than anyone else will be Thea. So Thea girl, you better let Malcolm protect you.

Also, MALCOLM !!! YAY!!! I swear I was stupidly giddy to see him back.  How can I be rooting for him? WTH?

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Also, MALCOLM !!! YAY!!! I swear I was stupidly giddy to see him back.  How can I be rooting for him? WTH?

catrox14, once you have fallen under his spell, resistance to the Barrowman charm is futile.
  • Love 6

GREAT episode. I was actually upset when it ended. I thought everyone was on point, even Laurel. I know this whole 180 they have done with her character is a bit whiplashy but I can take her like she was tonight. I hate that the anvils for Sara's death were falling like rain during a storm. I love her and don't want her to die. Glad Det. Lance got the respect he deserves! TPTB is reaaaaally toying with Olicity shippers, it's cruel. Was it me or when Oliver/Felicity hugged and they lingered on his hand on her back, was the lighting different? The scene had been dark and then it seemed like light was shinning in. It reminded me of the breakup speech Sara gave Oliver about being with someone who could bring out his light. Hmmmmm.... Thea reacting to Merlyn was great. They need to give Willa more to do!

• Love 2
Oliver and Felicity look at each other and they put Oliver/Laurel's sex scene last season to shame.  That's lightning in a bottle kind of chemistry. 

Dude, seriously. I mean the way they directed that hug between them, it almost made me think it was going to end in a kiss. Again. Much like that serious eye-fucking from last week. Their chemistry, man. I want it to happen but I don't? I really need them to slow that down a bit and develop their connection/relationship some more. I don't watch this show for shipping at all but I haven't been this invested in that kind of chemistry since Mulder and Scully (true fax)!

2. Despite being All Sad, Sara runs into a burning house and saves a little kid. All together now: AWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Cops later agree it was the bravest thing they've ever seen. All together now: AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Ya got me, quarks. I was "awwwing" all over the place at Sara. I just like her. A lot. And I need her to stay as the Canary forever so she can continue to be a delightful badass on my screen. I also am tired of the whole BC debate and just want them to put it to rest, please. Make Laurel the Manhunter since Kate Spencer is dead and she'll likely be writer-ed into the DA position, anyway.

*Isabelle in her costume- whether she is Ravager or Lady Deathstroke, she makes the whole thing work. With nigh-unto stiletto heels too! (We also saw the pretty, pretty hair.)

I agree that the lower part of her costume (read: everything below the bloaty-forehead-looking headgear) is great, especially the double samurai swords. And, since it's a television rule of cool, Summer Glau and fight scenes are always fantastic! But don't even get me started on her gorgeous hair. It's magical.

*That is NOT anything close to Amanda Waller and I feel badly for Cynthia Addai-Robinson playing such a dumb character (compared to the original comics!The Wall)

So much this! I hate what the show has done with Waller. That is not the devious and politically-savvy character that I know. I fervently hope that this one's a decoy/plant/fake and the real Waller's out there, played by Pam Grier or CCH Pounder, who's really pulling the strings.

So much this! I hate what the show has done with Waller. That is not the devious and politically-savvy character that I know. I fervently hope that this one's a decoy/plant/fake and the real Waller's out there, played by Pam Grier or CCH Pounder, who's really pulling the strings.

Don't blame the show.  They're still at the mercy of DC, this is New 52 Waller.  So they can't do anything about it, without DC's approval.

Don't blame the show.  They're still at the mercy of DC, this is New 52 Waller.  So they can't do anything about it, without DC's approval.

Oh, is it? I mean, I know about the aesthetic change DC made with her (and I dislike it so much) but is this how New52 Waller acts? No finesse about her plans at all and just brashly plows through everything without any regard for the usefulness of her assets/uneasy alliances? Willing to reduce a whole city to ash and dust? Whatever happened to the clandestine part of her organization? If this is DC's idea for the reboot of a great villain/anti-hero like The Wall, then I'm so glad I have never picked up an issue from the New52 line. From what I hear, that shit is awful!

"I really thought the airbags would go off".

I loved this line mostly because I don't know anyone who has been in a mid level crash where the airbags went off despite all the specs and regulations saying stuff about the deploying in crashes with speeds as low as 14 miles per hour. I crashed going 45, my brother 60 and nope, no airbags. I really thought the bags would go off too.

"What? Should I hit her again?"

Well I was all for it! :D

Poor Felicity, her head looked pretty bashed in. She was wearing her seatbelt; I would have thought it would have done a better job keeping her from flying about when they rolled. (Again, no airbags. I thinking they should have that checked out for the future).

I've read a few comments that said Diggle didn't get to do much but I thought just the opposite. He didn't have a ton of lines but he was doing everything. The fight with Isabel (and he survived, in Mirakuru world that's as good as winning) fleeing with Felicity, taking over the driving responsibility, asking after Thea, then the crash and knocking out the window so they could escape while supporting knocked out Felicity.

I was a little surprised (but pleased) when Oliver took over carrying her. I guess he's not feeling his knee anymore.

Dingle on his own went and retrieved Roy and then went in with Oliver to confront Blood. I felt like Diggle was busy doing stuff the whole episode. Maybe I'm just super aware of him throughout the episode.

I wonder where Sin was. I thought she lived in the clock tower? Speaking of the clock tower, I hope this is where they set up the new Arrowcave rather than in the Spare Lair. The ceilings were too low for Sally in that place, plus I like the idea of a secret place only the trio at the center know of (and Waller, sigh). I guess I'm getting ahead of myself though. That's season three talk.

A big piece of contention I do have with this episode is the announcement that whoever Slade takes is the person Oliver loves the most. Why did they have to make this a competition?

• Love 3

I was a little surprised (but pleased) when Oliver took over carrying her. I guess he's not feeling his knee anymore.

The fact Diggle - who doesn't have a knee that was kicked in by a guy jacked on Mirakuru and also didn't just have a ton of masonry fall on him in the sewer - would have been much more physically sound to carry Felicity around.  However, Oliver carries Felicity anyway, specifically hands his bow over to Diggle so he can do it.  There was literally no reason for it aside from Oliver simply wanting to carry Felicity, despite what had to be considerable pain from his knee and the masonry.  Oh, Oliver.

• Love 12

You can't bring back Malcolm Fucking Merlyn just kill him off again! Come on!  In the 5 minutes of screen time between Malcolm and Thea I nearly forgot all the terrible things Malcolm did and just wanted him to protect his baby girl. Such is the force of the the Barrowman eye fuck.

I'm not convinced Thea shot him at all.  Especially in the case of Malcolm Merlyn, unless we see a body literally bleeding on the ground and clearly lifeless, I won't believe he's dead.  They didn't show us a felled Malcolm, so I totally believe he's still alive.  I think, like some specs I've seen around, Thea shot a Mirakuru soldier coming up behind Malcolm.

Also putting this out there, I think despite Slade having opportunities to kill Thea several times now, I think she's still Slade's final target, the last of Oliver's family and the one he loves most.  Oliver calling her basically "pure of heart" in the last ep kind of made me think of virgins sacrificed to dragons and such.  Slade was just biding his time until her death aligned perfectly with his Make Oliver Suffer plan.  Though I think this partly because I see a Slade vs. Malcolm Merlyn showdown way too tempting for the writers.  I feel like it had to happen the second we found out Malcolm was coming back and it was something they'd likely save for the season finale.  So, we get Slade vs. Malcolm, Malcolm doesn't succeed, Thea is taken and that mobilizes the entire team.

• Love 1

I think Thea makes the most sense as the one Oliver loves the most, she's his family. While friends and lovers are close to you, it's your family that's been there the whole time. Plus she's the one most innocent in all of this. Losing his entire family would destroy Oliver, they were the ones he was trying to get back too. 

As for Laurel, Oliver did carry around her picture on the island but he told Slade he cheated on her with Sara. Then Slade meets Sara and Oliver chooses to save her over Shado, then he sees them together in the present. To most Sara would look like one Oliver always chooses. 

That's why I'm hoping the final battle is just Arrow, Canary and Deathstroke in Starling City juxtaposed with Oliver, Sara and Slade on the Amazo. With a different outcome instead of Sara "dying" it's Slade. Because the heroes really need a win to make this depressing season worth it. We don't need another season of dark depressed Oliver, they need to start working in Green Arrow and Black Canary's humor from the comics. 

Yay! Felicity ran over Isabel with a van!

But I do not understand why she didn't run her over again.  I've never been so sad to see someone put a car into reverse.

What this show knows how to do better than just about anyone else is ramp up the tension and the stakes as they approach a season finale.  At this point, things are pretty operatic, and we're not even at the climax yet.

Finally, I understand why they killed Blood -- he was evil, and needed to go.  But it would have been really interesting to start the next season with an evil mayor, with Blood and Oliver at a stalemate because they know each other's secrets.

• Love 4
(edited)

This was a very interesting episode.  I got the feeling of movement among key players and positions - with the DA dead, the police chief dead, and the mayor dead, that opens up three very important positions for Starling City next season - for good or ill.  (I'm guessing ill)

I'm a bit disappointed that Blood bit it (or did he?) because that would have made for an interesting future dynamic: the mayor and the local vigilante/hero both know each other's secret, but they're in an identity standoff as they negotiate how to deal with the city.  Also, Blood's ambiguity has been intriguing; I wonder if he is a bit bipolar because of his (abusive?) father.  On the one hand, he genuinely seems to be a populist and on the other, is just plain crazy.  I'm holding out hope that he's still around because I thought they did a great job with him.

I appreciated the irony of Blood using the whole sexist "Pull yourself together, irrational, hysterical woman!" bit with the DA; it was a nice subversion of how it's normally used because in this case, he was totally in on things.

Yay for Malcolm's return, in all his dubious glory.  I can't believe I didn't see before how much Willa Holland looks like John Barrowman. I can totally believe Thea is his daughter.

Yes!  I'm so glad he got the teaser-to-title cut. Their scenes together were great, and them looking like each other totally sold it.  However, the one immersion-breaking thing was my inner Barrowman-fan wondering how anyone could not want John Barrowman to be their hawt daddy because he's that awesome. Thea, what crack are you smoking?

I'm relieved that the viewer theory is that she shot a Mirakuru-mook and not Malcolm.  I figured he'd have a bullet proof vest anyway.  Oh, and his "you'd better take the safety off" snark was gold. Okay, everything he said was gold.

On the flip side, I'm glad they let Laurel have good interactions with people, especially Sara.  I do wish that they had told a bit more of the "I'm your big sister, I'll always love and support you" element of their relationship; I think it would have helped humanize Laurel more.  But I'm glad they did what they did. 

Quentin - awesome.  I'm so glad he got to be with his two daughters and return to Detective rank.  Maybe future Police Chief?

My favorite twist.  That the CITY is Oliver's love. I gotta give hats off to that, because OF COURSE it's the city. That was just a brilliant choice that never ONCE crossed my mind.

It's a great twist.  Although, I couldn't help but laugh when Oliver sulked, "I've failed... this city." Geez, Oliver, you're such a terrible boyfriend you can fail an entire city!

I can't help but crack up at bad guys getting run over mid-line; Felicity hitting Isobel was just too perfect.

Speaking of Felicity - that Hug of Epic Belief was immensely satisfying and wonderful.  I feel like it fit and carried more emotion than much of the smooching on television today.  Of course, SA and EBR could do knitting together and it'd be wonderful. 

Overall, there was plenty of character movement throughout this episode, things happened emotionally, and we had some good character development for Laurel, Sebastian Blood and Thea Malcolm.  

ETA: When Isobel asked who Shado was, I began to wonder if she'll turn on Slade next ep because he's too crazy, even for her.  Just a thought.

Edited by Zalyn
  • Love 1

I was a bit OK with Laurel firing the bow, but only because they've made passing reference to the fact that she works out, and the way they SA tried to sell the idea that it's explosive enough that you don't have to be very exact, but to aim for the middle of the rubble anyway.  It would have been a nice touch if her shot was wide, but just close enough (horseshoes and hand grenades).   Since I try to be a happy person, I'd have also been OK with Laurel winning the lottery and moving out of Starling City to somewhere safer, such as her own series on HBO Family. 

The only hope I have for some of the characters is that this is the DC universe, where death isn't always forever.

(edited)

A big piece of contention I do have with this episode is the announcement that whoever Slade takes is the person Oliver loves the most. Why did they have to make this a competition?

It's actually "While Oliver has fought all year to be more than the killer he once was, when Slade kidnaps someone close to Oliver’s heart, Oliver is pushed to the edge and realizes sometimes it takes doing the unthinkable to stop the monster."

By that wording, it could end up being Diggle.  It could also be Thea, since she is his sister, or Sara or Laurel. But the biggest payoff would be for it to be someone who is close to Oliver's heart but Oliver doesn't know it yet so it's a shock when he realizes it. And he does know about Thea/Sara/Laurel.  (With Malcolm back,I'm hoping he's keeping Thea safe.)  With the lighting and carrying Felicity, there was a lot of Olicity in this episode.

When Felicity said "I believe in you", that really made me think it would be Felicity. The dialogue for the scene writes itself:

Oliver:  I brought Felicity in, I was the one who put her into danger.

Diggle:  Oliver, it was her choice to stay with us. Her choice to fight against Slade.

Oliver:  She told me she believed in me.  I have to prove to her that she's not wrong. [Oliver grabs his bow and goes off to do the Unthinkable.]

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
(edited)
But the biggest payoff would be for it to be someone who is close to Oliver's heart but Oliver doesn't know it yet so it's a shock when he realizes it. And he does know about Thea/Sara/Laurel.  (With Malcolm back,I'm hoping he's keeping Thea safe.)  With the lighting and carrying Felicity, there was a lot of Olicity in this episode.

Oliver doesn't know it yet, but he's in love with Malcolm.  Clearly, that is the only answer that allows Jon Barrowman to appear shirtless and tied up in front of SA to return the favor from last season.  We also know Barrowman would totally sell it too.  *sagenod*

Edited by Zalyn
  • Love 6

It's actually "While Oliver has fought all year to be more than the killer he once was, when Slade kidnaps someone close to Oliver’s heart, Oliver is pushed to the edge and realizes sometimes it takes doing the unthinkable to stop the monster."

By that wording, it could end up being Diggle.  It could also be Thea, since she is his sister, or Sara or Laurel. But the biggest payoff would be for it to be someone who is close to Oliver's heart but Oliver doesn't know it yet so it's a shock when he realizes it. And he does know about Thea/Sara/Laurel.  (With Malcolm back,I'm hoping he's keeping Thea safe.)  With the lighting and carrying Felicity, there was a lot of Olicity in this episode.

When Felicity said "I believe in you", that really made me think it would be Felicity.

I kinda wonder if Slade did take Felicity, that maybe Oliver would go after her without even questioning what it was supposed to symbolize. I don't know that he would even realize that it meant she was "the one" that was close to his heart, or if he did, that he would be surprised by it. I'm just remembering how quickly Oliver put down Count Vertigo when Felicity's life was threatened, and then afterward was all, "Sorry, not sorry."

• Love 2
(edited)

To be fair though, Oliver would run off to rescue just about anyone he knows/cares about. He'd do it if Slade grabbed Laurel, Sara, Felicty, Diggle, Thea, Walter or Detective Lance. He'd probably even save Nyssa or Helena.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 4