Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Shabbos Goy

• Start Topic

Ray's therapy is at odds with the high-stakes power struggle between Sam and her opponents. Mickey - at Frank's behest - seeks out an old friend of the Donovans. Meanwhile, Terry takes Damon to New York to train for a fight; Bunchy is confronted by sins from the Donovan past; and Bridget tries to reconcile with Smitty - until a major crisis forces them together.

Promo:

Clips:

Got some general questions 

• Why doesn't ray Donovan have a security system at his house. A really good one! 
  • Why doesn't Dog ever bark - he also disappears in some episodes especially the ones where he could attack intruders 
  • Love 1
On 31/8/2017 at 6:41 AM, LocimusPrime said:

Got some general questions 

• Why doesn't ray Donovan have a security system at his house. A really good one! 
  • Why doesn't Dog ever bark - he also disappears in some episodes especially the ones where he could attack intruders 

1 - Guess he trusts himself not to need a security team.

2 - He's a big dog but clearly not meant to attack anyone so he's not used to bark much. :P

I miss the IMDb boards for this sort of stuff.

• Love 1

Title translation [Wikipedia]:  a non-Jew who performs certain types of work (melakha) which Jewish religious law (halakha) enjoins the Jew from doing on the Sabbath. 

Ezra: Raymond, I need you to bury some bodies in the desert. I would do it myself but you know, that pesky halakha....

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, paigow said:

Title translation [Wikipedia]:  a non-Jew who performs certain types of work (melakha) which Jewish religious law (halakha) enjoins the Jew from doing on the Sabbath. 

Ezra: Raymond, I need you to bury some bodies in the desert. I would do it myself but you know, that pesky halakha....

Yeah, I had to look this up too.

Means basically a job that a non-Jew will do on Saturday while Jews can't.

• Love 1

OMG this show..... I have some questions because if I get distracted and do not pay close attention I get all mixed up.

1. Why is this "Tom" blackmailing Samantha? 

2. What was Frank's involvement with Avi last season with the Russians to the point that he wants Avi dead?

3. How did Avi get that money to give to Mickey? Through the cash he had from drug drops? 

4. What did that woman at the end steal from Ray's car and who in the heck is she? 

• Love 1

Well, we had 34 minutes this episode before Abby showed up in a flashback!! Progress!

Bridget's taste in men has hit an all time low.

I think Avi and Frank were collaborating on the drug operation and Frank wanted Avi eliminated for some reason. Picking unreliable Mickey to do it wasn't a smart move at all.

Tom and the woman in the car accident were former fixers of Sam Winslow who had dirt on her...something related to Sam's daughter's death she mentioned in an earlier episode. I think the box had the evidence/info that would have implicated Sam Winslow. That's what she "bought" for $3 million and the Oscar. 

So Doug (played by the bearded guy who was President Walker on House of Cards) had an affair with Natalie and is the father of her unborn child (not her sleazy husband) and is so fixated on having Ray find her.

Let me know if I have any of this wrong...not the easiest to follow this season.

Edited by BigDfromLA
  • Love 2

Truly enjoyed this episode. It was almost pure Hollywood Ray and very little mopey kids/Abbey.

So happy to see Avi again and his 'Jew shit'.

The much sought after actress gets worse with time,  not better. I don't care a thing about her. She's just New Bridget with a gap between her teeth.

Oh, and Frank? Kill Bunchy for me will you?

• Love 2

I know Avi was kidnapped last season but I still don't get how  and why he left Ray and works for Frank. He showed up to the party at the end of season 4. Even drunk I don't  believe Avi couldn't overpower Mickey gun and all.

If Terry's  "the stuff before that was the right thing" referred  to getting Abby the treatment  instead of the teenager  (I still  don't  believe  they could really infect him as Bridget claims) than Fuck You, Terry. But I'm still leaning towards Abby ended her life somehow because  she couldn't  take the suffering, so maybe, hopefully,  Terry meant that and maybe he helped her.

It was nice seeing  Ray doing his job, even on a bunch of Zoloft.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

(I still  don't  believe  they could really infect him as Bridget claims)

My take on this: Ray didn't actually infect the kid, but his "pleadings" with the doctor went further than just a plea. Then the coerced doctor took the appropriate action that Ray suggested/demanded in order to get Abbey into the trial.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

OMG this show..... I have some questions because if I get distracted and do not pay close attention I get all mixed up.

1. Why is this "Tom" blackmailing Samantha? 

Years ago, Samantha was drunk driving and crashed her car killing her own three year  old daughter, but was never charged with anything (probably the fixer-before-Ray managed that).  The blackmail material that would prove she killed her kid was in the box.

4. What did that woman at the end steal from Ray's car and who in the heck is she? 

It was the box with the blackmail material.  Not sure who she was.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, jrlr said:
11 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

It was the box with the blackmail material.  Not sure who she was.

She is partner / minion of Tom.

Once again, Ray betrays a client...maybe the "right" thing...but of course, Ray is being followed and Natalie will be recaptured at the apartment...Ray kills everybody...pleads diminished mental capacity due to drugs....

• Love 2

Do the writers really think that anyone anywhere is saying "I just really need a proper romantic coda to the epic love story between Abby and Ray"

It is kind of sweet that Mickey is trying to take care of Bunchy, but they really just need to get Ray involved in both messes -- Bunchy getting robbed and Frank wanting to kill Avi.  Ray would take care of it easily.

I still can't stand the stupid actress and don't give a shit about her plight.  I don't really care about the studio shit either.

I assume Ray OD'ed on Zoloft hoping for erectile dysfunction since the stupid actress insisted in staying with him.  I hope he goes to the proper dose and keep taking it for at least 2-4 weeks because a happy Ray might be fun for an episode or two.

• Love 5

First of all, I don't buy for one second that Mickey could get the drop on Avi, former Mossad, whom Ray couldn't even take.  Avi was drunk and I guess he's in a downward spiral but some septuagenarian is going to take him down?  Actually Voight is approaching 80.

Secondly, Mickey's problem with Frank and Bunchy's problem losing the money  could be solved in two minutes if they went to Ray.  Ray used to own Frank and Ray could get Lena to track down the robbers, who weren't exactly meticulous about covering their tracks.

Instead Bunchy is drinking and blubbering about losing the money when his brother is a gangster with a super hacker assistant?

I also don't buy that Ray would have gotten the kid sick.  He might have tried to bribe him or blackmail him or his family but how would he get someone infected with meningitis or whatever it was?  That's like the stupid Billions plot about sabotaging that health drink of the company going for IPO.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I still can't stand the stupid actress and don't give a shit about her plight. 

She is probably lying about being pregnant...Did Ray have a test kit in the apartment?

If she is pregnant, Ray is the father....

• Love 3
6 hours ago, scrb said:

I also don't buy that Ray would have gotten the kid sick.  He might have tried to bribe him or blackmail him or his family but how would he get someone infected with meningitis or whatever it was?  That's like the stupid Billions plot about sabotaging that health drink of the company going for IPO

But, he could have coerced the doctor to do it. They showed the flashback clip twice now, where he's telling he doctor that he has to do something to save Abbey. 

• Love 1

I don't buy the meningitis storyline either. He'd have to inject it directly into the kid's spinal cord. It doesn't take much to be kicked out of a drug trial. Something much less severe than meningitis would do it. If the writers do use it, it's using a boulder when a rock would do.

• Love 1

Has Ray or Mickey harmed or killed innocent bystanders?

My recollection is that all the people they fought or killed were threatening them or their family.

Ray is an antihero like Tony Soprano but Tony had people beaten or killed for his gain.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, paigow said:

Fuck.  I hope not.  Ray's batting 1000 on having kids that are annoying AF.  And he doesn't need another albatross around is neck in the form of a stupid actress baby mama, we aren't even really rid of Abby yet. 

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 1

"The haaaahdest paaaaht was..."

Oh, Terry.

I thought this was going to be an Abby-free episode but they doubled down and gave us annoying, foul-mouthed naked Abby two thirds of the way through. I'm sick to the back of my teeth of all these characters except the two we don't see enough of (Lena and Avi) and Mickey. At least Mickey (and Jon Voight is fantastic) is good for a few laughs every week. The rest of the show is just impossibly dour.

Edited by pfk505
  • Love 4

So why exactly does blackmail woman drive her car at breakneck speed down the driveway and into the street with no attempt to turn left or right when straight ahead of her there are just buildings?  I guess she was too distracted by the garage gate she was going to plow into to notice the taxi bearing down on her.

• Love 4

Couple more.  Was that movie scene Ray was watching in the theater supposed to be a parody?  I was busting up when dumb actress was standing on the cliff saying a bunch of nonsensical crap to some doofy-looking white haired monk standing next to her who looked like one of the sub sandwich store guys dressed in a robe and a fake beard.  Actually that scene was a reminder of why I very seldom spend money at a theater to watch a movie anymore.

I must have counted at least six times where Avi could very easily have disarmed Mickey even in his drunken state.

• Love 2

For myself, I cannot get past the tub scene with Brig. Her foot (with massively weird toes) just sits on the guys shoulder like a lump, or a fake foot that will not move. Generally, when we sit we move around a bit, we wiggle our feet. We don't just sit stationary with a dead foot, while we tell people how our father tried to have them killed. It is petty of me, but my eyes kept going back to her foot, each and every moment of that scene. I can't unsee it! 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Dobian said:

Couple more.  Was that movie scene Ray was watching in the theater supposed to be a parody?  I was busting up when dumb actress was standing on the cliff saying a bunch of nonsensical crap to some doofy-looking white haired monk standing next to her who looked like one of the sub sandwich store guys dressed in a robe and a fake beard.  Actually that scene was a reminder of why I very seldom spend money at a theater to watch a movie anymore.

Ha!  No kidding. It was like a brokedown Katniss talking to that dude (ummm, Gandalf?  Obviously not my thing) from Lord of the Rings.  And then she jumps off a waterfall.  Mmmkay.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, scrb said:

Has Ray or Mickey harmed or killed innocent bystanders?

My recollection is that all the people they fought or killed were threatening them or their family.

Ray is an antihero like Tony Soprano but Tony had people beaten or killed for his gain.  

Ray hired Sully to kill Mickey. Sully killed Mickey's girlfriend. Ray is guilty of murder.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I'm just catching up & have to ask who the black lady was that took "the box" from Ray?  Please/Thanks!!

Asked and answers numerous times in this thread. Did you read it?

She is an associate/parter of Tom and one of Winslow's former fixers.

This show bores me now. I have to split my viewing over multiple nights to get through it. It all seems so insipid and derivative now.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Rahul said:

Asked and answers numerous times in this thread. Did you read it?

She is an associate/parter of Tom and one of Winslow's former fixers.

This show bores me now. I have to split my viewing over multiple nights to get through it. It all seems so insipid and derivative now.

I haven't read the thread because I didn't watch the show until tonight.  Thank you for clearing that up for ME!!

• Love 2
On 9/11/2017 at 0:01 PM, paigow said:

Once again, Ray betrays a client...maybe the "right" thing...but of course, Ray is being followed and Natalie will be recaptured at the apartment...Ray kills everybody...pleads diminished mental capacity due to drugs....

So Ray burned his bridges with his clients, with law enforcement, even with organized criminals. How does he get his jobs then? Why would somebody hire a fixer who does not put his clients' needs first?

On 9/11/2017 at 1:48 PM, scrb said:

First of all, I don't buy for one second that Mickey could get the drop on Avi, former Mossad, whom Ray couldn't even take.  Avi was drunk and I guess he's in a downward spiral but some septuagenarian is going to take him down?  Actually Voight is approaching 80.

As well, how did Avi get drunk in a bar that did not sell alcohol?

23 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Yes I get it!!!

The good etiquette would be to read this episode thread (even if you do not watch any other episodes or participate in their threads) thoroughly before posting a question. Doing what you did may be considered rude or inconsiderate.

• Love 2

My biggest takeaway from this season is that I just don't care about any of this stuff. I don't care that Bunchy's money was stolen (in theory, I care because it was his settlement money but in reality I don't care because he was such a dumbass about the entire situation). I don't care that his wife is on the road while he's in LA with the baby. I don't care about the pregnant actress. I don't care about Sam being blackmailed. I don't care about dead Abby. I don't care about Smitty being sick (regardless of how/why he's now back in the hospital).

The only moment in the entire episode that made me take any notice at all was Ray taking six or seven zoloft pills at once. Dude, don't be stupid!

Okay, I thought of one thing I cared about in this episode - I care that Terry is moving to New York. I totally understand that he wants a new start but part of me is sad that Ray's whole family is falling apart. Terry is the only one left who offers any genuine emotional support. Once he's out of the picture, Ray will be totally closed off and his only contact with the remaining family members in LA will be trying to keep Bunchy and Mickey out of trouble.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Okay, I thought of one thing I cared about in this episode - I care that Terry is moving to New York. I totally understand that he wants a new start but part of me is sad that Ray's whole family is falling apart.

When the kid loses that fight, Terry will go back to L.A.

ETA: Bunchy gets shived in the shower, Mickey goes to jail on a revenge quest...Cawnah gets deployed to Afghanistan, Bridget comes back to take care of her little cousin...and new baby sister named Abby. 

Edited by paigow
  • Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:44 PM, Philip said:

Yeah, I had to look this up too.

Means basically a job that a non-Jew will do on Saturday while Jews can't.

It's weird that Avi was so judgmental about it.  He's Jewish and has never had a problem with cold blooded murder, regardless of the day of the week. 

My only guess as to why Avi is in such a condition is his mother dying.  Not a spoiler, just a guess.  His mother seemed to be his entire life.  But it's weird that Ray and Lena don't seemed concerned about him.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:24 PM, paigow said:

She is probably lying about being pregnant...Did Ray have a test kit in the apartment?

She said she was eight weeks along.  Hopefully Ray can remember which time he betrayed Abby to fuck around with Natalie.  It's simple math and Ray's a sharp guy.  Surely Abby has been gone longer than eight weeks in current time.  He's already sold the house, Bridget's settled in New York, and Connor's off doing whatever Connor's doing.  But the time line has seemed pretty fluid this season. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

It's weird that Avi was so judgmental about it.  He's Jewish and has never had a problem with cold blooded murder, regardless of the day of the week. 

I'm not Jewish, so most of what I'm about to say come from when I lived in a Jewish nursing facility for a while.  But my understanding is that while some Jewish people think as long as they don't physically do the action that's prohibited (lights, electricity, whatever), then they aren't in violation. But other Jewish people think having someone do it for you is just finding a loophole and is still a violation, and so don't have a lot of respect for other Jews who use it.  I'm thinking Avi, with his very traditional Isreali upbringing, falls into the latter category.

• Love 2