Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Hella Disrespectful

• Start Topic

A lot to unpack tonight.

We all saw that confrontation coming, but it was worse than I thought it would be.  Lawrence took it too far in calling Issa a ho.  Fuck him for saying that.  Lawrence shouldn't have brought Aparna, anyway.  There was no need for her to go to the party.

Good for Molly realizing that this open relationship stuff just doesn't work for her.  I guess she's supposed to be in love with Dro, now?  Welll, she can't be Dro's girlfriend with his wife sitting there, and she has no real place in Dro's world.  But after seeing Candice, I think Dro's open marriage is legit.  Prediction: Molly will take a job offer in Chicago to get away from Dro, not just for the raise that she deserves.  Of course, she'll either leave shortly after or she not go at all, but I do think she'll take the chance.  

The moment between her and Issa at the bathroom was great.  Talk about seeing your best friend at her worst.  Well performed by Issa and Yvonne.

Daniel said some dumb shit, but I don't think he came in Issa's face as some way to get revenge.  Not rooting for them anymore.  Too much strife.  Daniel, let it go and lose her number.

I am rooting for Kelly and Sweetie, though!  And Kelly's animosity towards Ahmed and that silly ass party was everything.  

I figured Principal Gaines was deliberately steering the Latino kids away from We Got Y'All.  While I'm glad Issa called him out on it, it still bugs that the sole responsibility lay on her to do it.  Nothing was stopping Frieda from taking action, so why didn't she?  Still, I'll take it if it means putting this plot to rest.

• Love 4

MRW Dro's wife is making idle chit chat with Molly:

hWmhmbp.jpg

Oh, Molly. You got played like a piano. Hold fast and stay out of that mess.

AFAIC, Lawrence can die any time now. You'd think he was the first person in the history of the world who ever got cheated upon.

• Love 1

Eh...I think Issa and Lawrence had some points and both are acting a tad immature over this. Still, I am probably one of a very few who really likes Lawrence. I see his faults and blame for sure, but Issa is no angel in this at all.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 17

I'm on the side of Candice not knowing what happened between Dro and Molly. First off, he complimented Molly's dress in Spanish so that Candice surely wouldn't understand. I would also think that in the small talk between Candice and Molly, Candice would have addressed it with her and say "Dro and I talked about it. I'm okay, it's all good." I was in a poly relationship with a married man, and before we even thought about sleeping together, he and his wife talked about it before his wife giving me the okay. In any case, I'm glad Molly put an end to it. That would not have been healthy for her at all.

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Eh...I think Issa and Lawrence had some points and both are acting a tad immature over this. Still, I am probably one of a very few who really likes Lawrence. I see his faults and blame for sure, but Issa is no angel in this at all.

I'm with you.  I think it was an ugly fight but a "fair" one in that they fought like two people who knew each other's weaknesses might fight.  Aparna shouldn't have invited herself once he said his ex would be there. It'd be one thing if he acted like it was no big deal but clearly it was a big deal.  And Lawrence needs to stop letting this happen to him. He should have stuck to his 10 p.m. plan or rescheduled even if he didn't know it'd be a sit down thing.  Not say "okay."

28 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Daniel said some dumb shit, but I don't think he came in Issa's face as some way to get revenge.

No, it wasn't about revenge.  But the way he's talking, it does sound like it was intentional.  I'm okay with her not being okay with that.  But she did read way too much into his "even" comment.

I felt for Issa with her rent being raised. 

I think I need a Game of Thrones type wiki to figure out who everybody is and who is partnered with who.  I understand the Lawrence, Issa, Molly, Dro, Candice situation but I don't think I know who is dating anyone else.

I was in a poly relationship with a married man, and before we even thought about sleeping together, he and his wife talked about it before his wife giving me the okay.

Well we never quite did get their rules.  So it's possible Candice didn't know or just didn't care to talk about it. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4

Tiffany is just insufferable. She really does think she is better than everyone else, or else she has low self-esteem and is hiding behind a huge facade. I'm not sure how any of them can stand her. Who the hell has carrot cake at a birthday party? I won't even get into the "signature drinks."

Dro just straight up used Molly in that bathroom scene. The whole thing was just so low. I'm glad that was her wake-up call.

1 hour ago, Amethyst said:

Daniel said some dumb shit, but I don't think he came in Issa's face as some way to get revenge.  Not rooting for them anymore.  Too much strife.  Daniel, let it go and lose her number.

I hope he leaves and stays gone. I like Daniel, but he and Issa do not work.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, mrsbagnet said:

Tiffany is just insufferable. She really does think she is better than everyone else, or else she has low self-esteem and is hiding behind a huge facade. I'm not sure how any of them can stand her. Who the hell has carrot cake at a birthday party? I won't even get into the "signature drinks."

She really is.  At least Derek had that heart to heart talk with Lawrence a few weeks ago.  Even when she tries to counsel her friends, Tiffany just comes off like an arrogant snob.  She's annoying, not funny.  Too bad, because I was looking forward to seeing Amanda Seales in an acting role again, but the less Tiffany, the better.  

The carrot cake thing didn't bother me, though.  Wasn't it Derek's favorite?  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm with you.  I think it was an ugly fight but a "fair" one in that they fought like two people who knew each other's weaknesses might fight.  Aparna shouldn't have invited herself once he said his ex would be there. It'd be one thing if he acted like it was no big deal but clearly it was a big deal.  And Lawrence needs to stop letting this happen to him. He should have stuck to his 10 p.m. plan or rescheduled even if he didn't know it'd be a sit down thing.  Not say "okay."

No, it wasn't about revenge.  But the way he's talking, it does sound like it was intentional.  I'm okay with her not being okay with that.  But she did read way too much into his "even" comment.

I felt for Issa with her rent being raised. 

I think I need a Game of Thrones type wiki to figure out who everybody is and who is partnered with who.  I understand the Lawrence, Issa, Molly, Dro, Candice situation but I don't think I know who is dating anyone else.

Well we never quite did get their rules.  So it's possible Candice didn't know or just didn't care to talk about it. 

Man, the show did a really good job laying the groundwork for that rent increase. The moment everyone got noise complaint letters on their doors, it signaled that gentrification was coming. Now this rent increase is a sign that the building is likely under new management and they're looking to weed out people who might be paying modified rent based on income. 

Over all I felt for Issa. She was having a terrible, no good, very bad day, and to come home to that was the icing on the cake. 

Lawrence pissed me off. He wants to be the 100% aggrieved party so bad! He inflates Issa's one time cheating to an entire relationship filled with cheating to justify his bullshit, sitting on the couch, moping about an app that wasn't innovative no way ass. Also, Aparna can get these words, too. 

Why the fuck would she suggest going to a friend gathering with the work situationship just because she knew his ex would be there. She was looking for shit to pop off, and where I once thought she was cool and chill I now find her messy as fuck. 

• Love 14

I can't believe we are still talking about the oral sex, one of the things I have loved about this show is how frank it is but come on (so to speak)!

Maybe We Got Ya'll needs to be having some sex education programs too because all of these people seem to really to misunderstand how sex works.

Edited by John M
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Amethyst said:

She really is.  At least Derek had that heart to heart talk with Lawrence a few weeks ago.  Even when she tries to counsel her friends, Tiffany just comes off like an arrogant snob.  She's annoying, not funny.  Too bad, because I was looking forward to seeing Amanda Seales in an acting role again, but the less Tiffany, the better.  

I don't like Tiffany at all. She's too extra and snobby - the comment she made about how she hoped one of the Inglewood foreclosures stuck so they could swoop in bugged me. 

7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I agree. They're both wrong in their situation, which is why they shouldn't be together. A couple of years ago I was seeing a guy who was divorced because his ex cheated on him and while I agree that cheating was wrong, as I got to know him (he was in his early 40s but immature and unfocused, and his ex was at the top of her field) and from what he told me about their situation at the time (she was working to rise through the ranks, he was kind of spinning his wheels), I was like "I'm not saying it was right, but I understand." I feel the same way about Issa cheating. And as someone who has been laid off and depressed, I can understand why Lawrence was in the state he was in (although not for two years. I'm single, I didn't have that luxury). Relationships are complicated. There are a lot of gray areas.

I don't shit where I eat, and Lawrence and Aparna seem to a) work directly together, not in different departments in a larger company; b) have a bunch of nosy coworkers; c) Lawrence is new to the company so shouldn't be trying to complicate his work life. That's messy.

Issa's rent being raised (and probably a lot, if the area is gentrifying) AND having a $5500 car repair bill is trouble. She's going to need to either move, which costs a lot up front that I doubt she has, get a roommate (which is a problem given that she has a one-bedroom) or find a better-paying job or a second one. None are attractive options. I get why she lashed out and trashed her place, but girl, you live alone! Ain't nobody to clean up that mess but you!

Glad Molly ended the Dre thing. It was never going to work. She deserves better. (I still hope she goes back to therapy.) I felt for her in that meeting - she came prepared and they weren't trying to hear it. I'm glad she's looking around at other options.

• Love 11

Kelly is the MVP of this episode, I find her funny and not the least bit annoying. They know when to bring her in and her commentary was everything at the birthday dinner. The carrot cake and hating us...LOL. It reminded me of Seinfeld's commentary on carrots not being used to make a cake. Although, I personally love a good carrot cake.

I was totally in tune with Issa this episode, totally, that's all.

That argument between she and Lawrence was good. But one too many men that she actually cared about disrespected her over the last what...24 to 48 hrs and she lost it.

Yeah Molly, you're nobody's whore and for me that bathroom hookup was the end for me, done, just done. Well I was done before it all began but ugh, that bathroom scene was depressing, with the wife right outside at the dinner party, him telling her to wait in the bathroom for a bit, yeah, I can't. Your mother and father had a different kind of history and family investment that your mother could take into consideration when forgiving him and deciding to stay. You and Dro please, a prom date and a boy/friend who lived on your block who you had a crush on for years is not an investment. It's not worth any consideration at all when deciding to end that messy situation that seems IMO to demean you. You are worth so much more than that shit, including just being alone if it must be. Although, that lawyer in Chicago looks like a go, I hope he's not full of shit, because I like him.

Daniel said some dumb shit, but I don't think he came in Issa's face as some way to get revenge.

Well I do, at least now I do. Last week I didn't and I was on Issa for giving bj's and not knowing what the hell she's doing,then blaming shit all on the guy.  But nope, not this week. I totally buy he did that shit on purpose, because his ego felt disrespected *eye roll.*  Had he not come with that now we're even and you know how it feels shit than I wouldn't even entertain the idea that he did it on purpose and to disrespect her. The fact that those words were even a thought in his head and then he utters them says to be that even subconsciously he was trying to disrespect her, please.  When at no point did Issa disrespect him to that level if at all. She never led him to believe that she wanted to be a couple with him. They had history, but never fully were a couple, I think it was timing, I can't remember exactly. That last time she tried to be honest with him she wasn't trying to be mean. She got nervous because of him saying I got you and the hug made her think that he was thinking, that she wanted something serious. Therefore,  she tried to let him know that wasn't the case,that they both should be seeing other people as well as one another. She didn't want to make the same mistake she made before by not being upfront on their relationship status and she told him that. Now could she have waited a day to have that convo.?  Yes. But once again, she did not call him because she was in a car accident and needed him to pick her up, she called because they were supposed to meet up that night and she wanted to let him know why she couldn't make it.  But he insisted on showing up because he thought he was her new one and only or at least he was trying to be.  But sorry, she in no way disrespected him IMO in their last interaction before he gave her a "facial." She even said to him that she wasn't as up front before, so she was trying to be up front this time. Yeah, bye Daniel.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I'm somewhere in the middle. As it relates to the fight, I think they both had valid points. But I don't like Lawrence because I think he's a shitty boyfriend no matter who he's with.

• Love 2

Lawrence and Issa were both fucked up. I see no, but one was worse, etc. They were both fucked up. Issa is the one who went left first too.

Why should Lawrence be called out for blocking her? Unless you are really cool with the ex, you should be doing that anyway.

Lawrence is not an asshole for bringing the girl to the party. I'm sorry. He's allowed to move on and bring dates to places. If Daniel had been there, no one would have dragged Issa for doing that (at the party not you lovely commenters). I wouldn't have advised it but using this to call him a fuck boy again. Nah. At worst, he should had told Tiffany so she could plan ahead. That's all.

Why doesn't Issa landlord mail this information to them instead of posting everything on doors? I've had my rent raised damn near every year at my apartment. Started at 750 and now I'm at 950. All those notices came in the mail.

I wouldn't date Issa in a million years. All of the constant shitting on Lawrence on Twitter and the like but she's super extra, garbage at communicating and real quick to jump to conclusions. No thank you.

5 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

I'm somewhere in the middle. As it relates to the fight, I think they both had valid points. But I don't like Lawrence because I think he's a shitty boyfriend no matter who he's with.

Issa very much contributed to the downfall of their relationship but just because she was working and he wasn't, I feel like most of that in constantly looked over. He was receiving unemployment the whole time. I don't know why people ignore that too. While two years seems a bit much to be unemployed, I understand him taking a stand and trying to find a job worth his value. Once you take a job, you could very much end up staying there because life gets in the way and you get stuck. I blame him for letting his rut hurt how much effort into keeping his relationship up. He gets all the blame for that. She was in a rut too because of her job and other things. Sorry for rant but I see two people at fault that needed to separate and work on themselves. They were both failures as partners for multiple reasons.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

Why doesn't Issa landlord mail this information to them instead of posting everything on doors? I've had my rent raised damn near every year at my apartment. Started at 750 and now I'm at 950. All those notices came in the mail.

Depends on your landlord/property manager.  My property manager posts notices on the door about everything: rent increases, fire drills, "surprise" inspections, you name it.  The last manager who owned my building used to mail notices, though.

16 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

Issa very much contributed to the downfall of their relationship but just because she was working and he wasn't, I feel like most of that in constantly looked over. He was receiving unemployment the whole time. I don't know why people ignore that too. While two years seems a bit much to be unemployed, I understand him taking a stand and trying to find a job worth his value. Once you take a job, you could very much end up staying there because life gets in the way and you get stuck. I blame him for letting his rut hurt how much effort into keeping his relationship up. He gets all the blame for that. She was in a rut too because of her job and other things. Sorry for rant but I see two people at fault that needed to separate and work on themselves. They were both failures as partners for multiple reasons.

As I said, I think he's a shitty boyfriend no matter who he's with. There's definitely blame to go around in his relationship with Issa but I'm talking about who he is as a person. The writing for his character has been incredibly consistent since the pilot which is amazing, but the character as written is someone I would NEVER date.

He's a lazy partner and so passive it would drive me insane. He has to be poked and prodded into doing shit that should be common sense: getting off the couch and taking his girlfriend out for her birthday, getting a job, taking a job that's been offered instead of continuing to fake work on his app, takin a girl he's screwing on a proper date, getting off his friend's air mattress and into his own apartment, inviting his new love interest to a party after he cancelled on her. 

It's a no for me dawg. That's too much work. He needs a girlfriend who also doubles as a life coach and personal assistant. 

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, ridethemaverick said:

As I said, I think he's a shitty boyfriend no matter who he's with. There's definitely blame to go around in his relationship with Issa but I'm talking about who he is as a person. The writing for his character has been incredibly consistent since the pilot which is amazing, but the character as written is someone I would NEVER date.

He's a lazy partner and so passive it would drive me insane. He has to be poked and prodded into doing shit that should be common sense: getting off the couch and taking his girlfriend out for her birthday, getting a job, taking a job that's been offered instead of continuing to fake work on his app, takin a girl he's screwing on a proper date, getting off his friend's air mattress and into his own apartment, inviting his new love interest to a party after he cancelled on her. 

It's a no for me dawg. That's too much work. He needs a girlfriend who also doubles as a life coach and personal assistant. 

Well Issa's constant overreacting, awkwardness to the point of parody, passive aggressiveness and lack of communication skills is a no for me as well. Two realistic flawed individuals. I don't dislike either one of them. I just see the good and the bad. Who's more at fault or who is worst or makes the most mistakes is just kind incidental for me at this point. For every bone headed decision Lawrence makes, the show has been very much allowing Issa to make just as many dumb decisions and work and at home.

I hope Molly gives old pastor body a chance. I love Lil Rell and I hope he gets a chance to possibly be a viable love interest. I'm tired of every time a man on these types of shows dares to look more like your average guy or has flaws in his look, he's deemed as unworthy. They have good chemistry. Could be friend chemistry or more. Who knows? People rag on how shallow guys are but I've seen enough to know that the opposite is very much true.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

Well Issa's constant overreacting, awkwardness to the point of parody, passive aggressiveness and lack of communication skills is a no for me as well. Two realistic flawed individuals. I don't dislike either one of them. I just see the good and the bad. Who's more at fault or who is worst or makes the most mistakes is just kind incidental for me at this point. For every bone headed decision Lawrence makes, the show has been very much allowing Issa to make just as many dumb decisions and work and at home.

I hope Molly gives old pastor body a chance. I love Lil Rell and I hope he gets a chance to possibly be a viable love interest. I'm tired of every time a man on these types of shows dares to look more like your average guy or has flaws in his look, he's deemed as unworthy. They have good chemistry. Could be friend chemistry or more. Who knows? People rag on how shallow guys are but I've seen enough to know that the opposite is very much true.

It's not a contest LOL. Issa is a mess too but I guess I relate to her more because I'm a woman who made my share of dumb decisions when I was young (although I was a much faster learner than Issa seems to be).

4 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

Well I do, at least now I do. Last week I didn't and I was on Issa for giving bj's and not knowing what the hell she's doing,then blaming shit all on the guy.  But nope, not this week. I totally buy he did that shit on purpose, because his ego felt disrespected *eye roll.*  Had he not come with that now we're even and you know how it feels shit than I wouldn't even entertain the idea that he did it on purpose and to disrespect her. 

Why do we start with the premise that it is disrespectful? It's semen, not acid, it was going to be somewhere. Not to share too many details of my personal life but this is a frequent occurrence between my partner and me and there is nothing even the tiniest bit degrading or disrespectful about it.

Issa needs to get over it, if you give a guy a blowjob he is (hopefully) going to have an orgasm and we really don't have any control after we know it is about to happen. Mouth, face, spit, swallow, getting it somewhere else, it's just part of sex and really not that big of a deal.

Edited by John M
  • Love 13
39 minutes ago, John M said:

Why do we start with the premise that it is disrespectful?

Because we're discussing the show, and that's how Issa felt. Clearly, it's not something that occurs frequently for her.

I'm tired of Lawrence always getting the upper-hand and Issa having to take the L, I'm going to need those roles to be reversed come this season finale.

Damn, did I feel for Issa on that rent increase. I am a fellow citizen of Brokesville and have had my fair share of concurrent car and rent issues. I see why she needed a release after that shitty day she had, but the whole time I was thinking, "Please don't hurt that TV!"

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Is it possible to receive unemployment for two years in CA? I was on unemployment for about 5 months after I was laid off and I think I had another month left before it ran out. I 

My issue with two years unemployed is that I'm guessing that he wouldn't have been so "take a stand and try to find a job worth his value" if Issa hadn't been supporting him. If he were laid off from his job now, I bet he'd turn to Best Buy a lot faster because he's got to eat and pay rent and there's no one to pick up the slack. And I'm sure it was a financial strain on Issa to support him, given how close to the bone she appears to be living now. I think Issa would have been well within her rights to say, "I know you're depressed and I'm here for you emotionally, but we need to make a plan for the household finances." Her not saying so is on her though.

I do think it was shitty of Issa to throw depression in his face. Depression is serious and shouldn't be mocked, whether it's situational or chemical. I was depressed when I was laid off (actually for most of 2015; it was a terrible year) and my then-boyfriend (with whom I did not live, so he didn't support me - date nights were a big help though!) would never have thrown it in my face. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Is it possible to receive unemployment for two years in CA? I was on unemployment for about 5 months after I was laid off and I think I had another month left before it ran out. I 

My issue with two years unemployed is that I'm guessing that he wouldn't have been so "take a stand and try to find a job worth his value" if Issa hadn't been supporting him. If he were laid off from his job now, I bet he'd turn to Best Buy a lot faster because he's got to eat and pay rent and there's no one to pick up the slack. And I'm sure it was a financial strain on Issa to support him, given how close to the bone she appears to be living now. I think Issa would have been well within her rights to say, "I know you're depressed and I'm here for you emotionally, but we need to make a plan for the household finances." Her not saying so is on her though.

I do think it was shitty of Issa to throw depression in his face. Depression is serious and shouldn't be mocked, whether it's situational or chemical. I was depressed when I was laid off (actually for most of 2015; it was a terrible year) and my then-boyfriend (with whom I did not live, so he didn't support me - date nights were a big help though!) would never have thrown it in my face. 

A lot of people don't or can't make certain choices without the support of love ones. Not everyone can make those changes. But, again he was actually contributing to the household because of the checks. Also, if this was an actual issue, this is something Issa needed to express. Which goes back to my initial point that both are flawed and both fucked up. There is so much focus in the financials in this plotline but that is so besides the point to me. Issa's lack of communication and Lawrence letting his professional troubles taint the way he cared for and nurtured a solid relationship is. I guess I've  really grown tired of the Lawrence hive or Issa hive nonsense. I take no sides. I point out positives and negatives in both of them. I don't see any winner or loser here. I don't support one more than the other. I think this show has done such a good job of giving nuance to all the characters and their situations and I just hate that so many people (Not talking about anyone here, I'm talking about beyond here) are just taking battle lines. 

With this current episode, they did a really good job of showing the pettiness and bad decisions on both sides. There was again no scenario where either person was worse imo. Both were wrong in certain ways during the dinner and during their argument, they both hit way too low under the belt.

I forgot to add this earlier but run for your life Daniel. It's not worth the time and the moment has passed for you two.

• Love 2

I think it was shitty of Lawrence being snobby about what job he took after being unemployed for so long, especially with Issa supporting him. I agree with @Empress1 about the depression though. I am a sufferer and it is no joke. I still stick with there is blame that can go around to both Issa and Lawrence. Neither need to be together or with anyone else at this moment.  And I still like Lawrence as a character (not a boyfriend). 

I like Issa too but just as Lawrence can't expect her not to date anyone, including Daniel, she can't expect him not to either. It does not seem that Tiffany and Derek hang with Lawrence outside of him being Issa's boyfriend, so, other than for dramatic purposes, I am not sure why Tiffany invited him (or he accpeted). I may not be remembering events from the first season well though. Maybe Derek and Lawrence were huge buddies. Issa's cheating was wrong in my opinion. Was it wrong enough not to get pass? Well, that is for Issa and Lawrence to decide. I think their compatibility problems go beyond Issa supporting Lawrence and Issa's cheating. They are not romantically compatible.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, link417 said:

Because we're discussing the show, and that's how Issa felt. Clearly, it's not something that occurs frequently for her.

I'm tired of Lawrence always getting the upper-hand and Issa having to take the L, I'm going to need those roles to be reversed come this season finale.

Damn, did I feel for Issa on that rent increase. I am a fellow citizen of Brokesville and have had my fair share of concurrent car and rent issues. I see why she needed a release after that shitty day she had, but the whole time I was thinking, "Please don't hurt that TV!"

Lawrence has steady been taking L's all season. They both have. If you are talking about when they go up against each other neither one of them is really winning. The only difference is that Lawrence is moving on in a way Issa has not yet. He's growing in a way that Issa hasn't because she's been letting her ho phase mask problems she needs to deal with. Lawrence was too but I feel like he's more past that than she is.

4 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I think it was shitty of Lawrence being snobby about what job he took after being unemployed for so long, especially with Issa supporting him. I agree with @Empress1 about the depression though. I am a sufferer and it is no joke. I still stick with there is blame that can go around to both Issa and Lawrence. Neither need to be together or with anyone else at this moment.  And I still like Lawrence as a character (not a boyfriend). 

I like Issa too but just as Lawrence can't expect her not to date anyone, including Daniel, she can't expect him not to either. It does not seem that Tiffany and Derek hang with Lawrence outside of him being Issa's boyfriend, so, other than for dramatic purposes, I am not sure why Tiffany invited him (or he accpeted). I may not be remembering events from the first season well though. Maybe Derek and Lawrence were huge buddies. Issa's cheating was wrong in my opinion. Was it wrong enough not to get pass? Well, that is for Issa and Lawrence to decide. I think their compatibility problems go beyond Issa supporting Lawrence and Issa's cheating. They are not romantically compatible.

We just saw Derek and Lawrence hanging out prior to this episode. He's the one who called all Lawrence out for not truly excepting his role in the break up. That's not something acquaintances do. That's real friendship. That's his friend that's why he was invited. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Lawrence took it too far in calling Issa a ho

Did he really though?  By no means am I being a judgmental prude, but Issa has been working hard to give up the cookie - to any guy who appears marginally interested - for awhile now.  Interestingly enough, Lawrence doesn't know everything we do, or he would have really unloaded on her.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
grammar
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

We just saw Derek and Lawrence hanging out prior to this episode. He's the one who called all Lawrence out for not truly excepting his role in the break up. That's not something acquaintances do. That's real friendship. That's his friend that's why he was invited. 

You are right. I forgot about that.

4 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Did he really thought?  

To each their own. I for one don't like shaming people for liking to have sex. There should be safe ways of going about it though.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

Lawrence has steady been taking L's all season. They both have. If you are talking about when they go up against each other neither one of them is really winning. The only difference is that Lawrence is moving on in a way Issa has not yet. He's growing in a way that Issa hasn't because she's been letting her ho phase mask problems she needs to deal with. Lawrence was too but I feel like he's more past that than she is.

I know they've both been taking Ls all season -- I've been watching the show. I'm specifically talking about how at the end of Season 1, Lawrence was in a relationship with Tasha and Issa was alone. Now he's in a relationship with Aparna and Issa is alone. I don't want the end of Season 2 to go the way of the first finale again. My gripe was directed toward the show, not the characters in the show, if that makes sense:  I want the writers to stop making Issa self-sabotage. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

To each their own. I for one don't like shaming people for liking to have sex. There should be safe ways of going about it though.

Yeah, didn't want to sound like I was sex shaming her, but instead, making your second point in a way that could have been better stated.  I understanding being young and horny, but if Issa was a guy some folks (not necessarily me) would be accusing her of thinking with her lower head, lol.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
clarity
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

You are right. I forgot about that.

To each their own.

I for one don't like shaming people for liking to have sex. There should be safe ways of going about it though.

I don't think it was taking it too far simply because Lawrence was literally just trying to cut as hard as Issa just did with her mocking the project he put his all into. It wasn't even something he really meant. He just knew it would hurt. Again, they both messed up equally here imo. I don't think either one did worse. The irony is that neither one knows just how many issues they've been having with sleeping around or their professional lives. Both lines cut even harder because they are legit raw subjects for both of them.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

I don't think it was taking it too far simply because Lawrence was literally just trying to cut as hard as Issa just did with her mocking the project he put his all into. It wasn't even something he really meant. He just knew it would hurt. Again, they both messed up equally here imo. I don't think either one did worse. The irony is that neither one knows just how many issues they've been having with sleeping around or their professional lives. Both lines cut even harder because they are legit raw subjects for both of them.

I agree that they both purposely cut hard to purposely hurt the other becausing they were hurting themselves personally and professionally.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, link417 said:

I know they've both been taking Ls all season -- I've been watching the show. I'm specifically talking about how at the end of Season 1, Lawrence was in a relationship with Tasha and Issa was alone. Now he's in a relationship with Aparna and Issa is alone. I don't want the end of Season 2 to go the way of the first finale again. My gripe was directed toward the show, not the characters in the show, if that makes sense:  I want the writers to stop making Issa self-sabotage. 

Yeah i can tell youve been watching the show. I didn't mean it that way. Issa is alone because she wants to be and Lawrence has had someone in both your scenarios because he's almost incapable of being alone. She could be with someone too. Yes she's self sabotaging but it's because she's not ready for that yet. Neither is Lawrence really. He's just covering it in attachments that hide the emotions he hasn't work through yet. They are both having the same issue right now. Issa isn't taking an L any more than Lawrence is. It looks like that on the outside but those are just appearances. Issa was making Lawrence feel like a sucker being seen with Daniel most of the season anyway. They've both had their moments to look like they are winning. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, link417 said:

I get that is how Issa felt, I just think she is being ridiculous making such a big deal out of it for so long. She is the one that keeps talking about sleeping around yet she seems so ignorant about sex, it's weird.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, link417 said:

Amen, thank you.  The show is based on Issa Rae's point of view and to her and her character  it was seen as disrespectful and after this show I agree. Before this show and that bullshit convo. she had with Daniel I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. Also, in the wine down for that episode, Issa Raye is told Jay Ellis that it isn't disrespectful if you're into that and you're ready for it, she personally is not into it so...to her it's disrespectful and she's welcomed to feel that way. I just had issue with her not knowing what she was doing then having an all out tantrum at the outcome which possibly couldn't be helped. Fast forward to this episode and that convo she had with Daniel, nope, it could have been helped and it was just "Hella Disrespectful" of him to pull that shit as a now we are even move, which is exactly what he did as far as my perspective goes. The problem is intent, if you fuck up then fine, but if you fuck up with me with the intent to hurt/humiliate me on purpose, we gotta problem.

Now on to the We Got Ya'll...that principal is "Hella Racist," period. This whole thing with black people can't be racist, but only on a one to one basis, yeah, upon further reflection, my stance is, not exactly. He doesn't own the system but he has power within that system to deny educational opportunities and by extension career opportunities to those Hispanic children, because the better they do in their academic career that can lead to better career opportunities etc...and that is exactly what he was using his power to do. That to me is the practice of racism on the most extreme of levels. Shit you can call me whatever derogatory name you want but don't purposely fuck with my education nor my career because of my race. Poor folks don't have much but any poor parent worth a damn will tell right out that I can't give my kid much, but if anything is a must,I have to get them a decent education. That bastard is fucking with their education and that's a no, no.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

Now on to the We Got Ya'll...that principal is "Hella Racist," period. This whole thing with black people can't be racist, but only on a one to one basis, yeah, upon further reflection, my stance is, not exactly. He doesn't own the system but he has power within that system to deny educational opportunities and by extension career opportunities to those Hispanic children, because the better they do in their academic career that can lead to better career opportunities etc...and that is exactly what he was using his power to do. That to me is the practice of racism on the most extreme of levels. Shit you can call me whatever derogatory name you want but don't purposely fuck with my education nor my career because of my race. Poor folks don't have much but any poor parent worth a damn will tell right out that I can't give my kid much, but if anything is a must,I have to get them a decent education. That bastard is fucking with their education and that's a no, no.

I agree with this part wholeheartedly!

4 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

All of this, especially the bolded part. Lawrence's inability to stand up for shit makes him just the kind of dude I would not want to date. Instead of telling Tasha he wasn't comfortable going to her family's cookout when they weren't anything official, he agrees then bails in a passive aggressive way.

Similarly, he decides that he's going to go to Tiffany's birthday dinner knowing that his ex will be there. Fine, he's got some sort of friendship with Derek (given they grabbed drinks a couple episodes back) that makes sense for him to attend. However, when his workplace situationship suggests tagging along, instead of saying, "Nah, it might be awkward," he says sure. Then when they get there he's surprised (or "surprised") that something billed as a birthday dinner, which implies people gon' be sitting their asses down to eat, which means yo' surprise plus one is rude as fuck, doesn't have space for Aparna.

3 hours ago, John M said:

Why do we start with the premise that it is disrespectful? It's semen, not acid, it was going to be somewhere. Not to share too many details of my personal life but this is a frequent occurrence between my partner and me and there is nothing even the tiniest bit degrading or disrespectful about it.

Issa needs to get over it, if you give a guy a blowjob he is (hopefully) going to have an orgasm and we really don't have any control after we know it is about to happen. Mouth, face, spit, swallow, getting it somewhere else, it's just part of sex and really not that big of a deal.

The difference, I assume, is that you and your partner have worked out what's going to happen at the point of ejaculation? And that your partner doesn't find it disrespectful? Issa found it disrespectful and tried to express that to Daniel afterward. Daniel's views on where his semen should go (particularly since they hadn't really talked about what happens when he's ready to finish) weren't going to change her mind.

2 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Did he really though?  By no means am I being a judgmental prude, but Issa has been working hard to give up the cookie - to any guy who appears marginally interested - for awhile now.  Interestingly enough, Lawrence doesn't know everything we do, or he would have really unloaded on her.

So, the thing for me, is that Issa was calling it her hotation--and that is her right to label what she does as that. It becomes something wholly different when an outside person who has not been part of the reclamation then uses it against her. Lawrence especially was saying it to be hurtful. 

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Mozelle said:

Lawrence especially was saying it to be hurtful. 

ITA.  However, I've found in confrontations like those, your most powerful weapon is the truth - especially one your adversary has admitted themselves.  Just to be clear, I'm not taking sides here; both of them are guilty of being immature, self-indulgent assholes to one degree or another, and the adult thing for them to do would be to claim that.  But neither one is at that place yet.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, John M said:

I get that is how Issa felt, I just think she is being ridiculous making such a big deal out of it for so long. She is the one that keeps talking about sleeping around yet she seems so ignorant about sex, it's weird.

My exact point last week. Apparently she wants a tidy hoetation consisting of strict, missionary, quietly in the dark with a quick disinfecting after. Most timid hoetation in history.

I think the fight with Lawrence was another great example of Issa's self-absorption and terrible communication.

She ratchets things up by bitching  about being blocked on FB. Seriously--why does the guy you cheated on not have a perfect right to block you?   And speaking of cheating, that's how she dealt with ending a five year relationship when she realized out of the blue she no longer wanted to be there. Then she totally ghosts the guy she cheated with and when finally confronted by him, dismisses him (someone she allegedly cares about by) telling him he was just an itch she had to scratch.  And, so many legitimate things to complain about in that relationship with Lawrence but she goes for the thoughless attack on depression.

Lawrence got ugly in the fight but Issa doesn't elicit much sympathy from me, in terms of how she's handled any of this. 

• Love 15
18 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

Dro just straight up used Molly in that bathroom scene. The whole thing was just so low. I'm glad that was her wake-up call.

I hope he leaves and stays gone. I like Daniel, but he and Issa do not work.

17 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Lord, did ya'll notice how she Derek's birthday all about herself?  I at first thought it was an anniversary party, but it was supposed to be his birthday.  She even put more thought into her own signature drink then his.  I like Derek, but sometimes its hard to believe they are such a happy couple when she is so self centered...though, to each his own.

16 hours ago, Mozelle said:

Man, the show did a really good job laying the groundwork for that rent increase. The moment everyone got noise complaint letters on their doors, it signaled that gentrification was coming. Now this rent increase is a sign that the building is likely under new management and they're looking to weed out people who might be paying modified rent based on income. 

Over all I felt for Issa. She was having a terrible, no good, very bad day, and to come home to that was the icing on the cake. 

Lawrence pissed me off. He wants to be the 100% aggrieved party so bad! He inflates Issa's one time cheating to an entire relationship filled with cheating to justify his bullshit, sitting on the couch, moping about an app that wasn't innovative no way ass. Also, Aparna can get these words, too. 

Why the fuck would she suggest going to a friend gathering with the work situationship just because she knew his ex would be there. She was looking for shit to pop off, and where I once thought she was cool and chill I now find her messy as fuck. 

7 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

4 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Good Lord, Lawrence is everything I do not want in a man.  I also need Aparna to stop being such a damn "cool girl" with him  (look up Gone Girl, if you do not get what that means).  The thing is with Lawrence is that he seems like such a nice guy when you meet him, but he really has no self drive or direction.  He is passive to the point of lethargy and actually probably a little more awkward at understanding social cues then Issa.

• Love 6

You know, what I appreciate the most about the writing is that I have yet to see an ex girlfriend get up in the face of the new woman. There is no rolling of eyes and head and getting up in other woman's face over a man. Arpana came out of the restaurant and there was absolutely not even any eye contact between she and Issa.  And the interaction between Molly and Dro's wife, same thing, no nasty behavior. And I definitely believe Dro's wife knows what's up.  Yep, all the catty stuff is left to Kellie's commentary, LOL. Anyway, I love it when I don't have to see women getting loud and nasty over a man. I love it, I think it's on purpose that I haven't seen that on this show, and thank you Issa Rae.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 4

Man, Tiffany is the worst.  She is a braggart who likes to parade her good fortune in the face of people who aren't as lucky as her.  She is married so she feels she automatically has one up on her three single friends.  Funny how she was  OCD she about her table settings but allowed Lawrence and Aparna to sit, messing up hr careful table.  I truly believe the only reason she did that was because she knew it would make Issa uncomfortable.  That is how shitty a person she is.

Kelly, otoh, is the best.  All her lines were funny.  "Clearly they were having a sale on denim."  Ha!  I read she ad-libbed that.

Issa and Lawrence at this point have reached toxic levels.  But as far as I am concerned Lawrence is just terrible.  He built up this whole fantasy in his head about Issa and Daniel and let that propel him in to lashing out at her in ways designed to make her notice.  First blocking her -- which yeah they were broken up but in these times of social media currency blocking someone sends a special type of message especially since he knew she was still somewhat hopeful of getting back with him -- and then pointedly bringing Aparna to a party that is populated largely by Issa's circle of friends.

I am dying to really know the specifics about Dro and Candace's relationship.  It just feels off to me.  Granted I don't know the first thing about open relationships but I can't help but thinking that boinking another woman in a bathroom while your wife is in the another room is ok.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I legit LOLed at "old pastor body."  I love Lil Rell and want to see more of him on here; I would love to see Molly overcome her shallowness and find what she's really looking for in a place she wasn't looking for it.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

Lord, did ya'll notice how she Derek's birthday all about herself?  I at first thought it was an anniversary party, but it was supposed to be his birthday.  She even put more thought into her own signature drink then his.  I like Derek, but sometimes its hard to believe they are such a happy couple when she is so self centered...though, to each his own.

I've never met a couple that constantly bragged about how happy they are, how in love they are, "my best friend, my muse, my earth wind and fire ..." that was actually that happy. I know plenty of happy couples but they just ARE happy and go on about their business, they don't talk about it constantly. The last instance I saw of "he's my everything, blah blah blah" social media bragging ended in divorce when she (who was doing most of the bragging) left him and their two kids for another woman. Given that Tiffany said Derek lived in a hotel for a part of a year at one point, I keep waiting for the reveal that they're actually divorcing or separated or something.

• Love 5

You described my ex to the T. I was in a similar rut like Issa and Lawrence. Though, I was the Lawrence in the situation (lay off/situational depression) and was out of full-time work for a year and a half. I freelance edited market research transcripts for literal pennies just so I could brush up on skills, and a I took a $15/hr marketing assistant job that I was told point blank they could've hired a high school student for, but because I'm an adult, they were going to hire me. However, I took the job seriously, actually cared about the product, and made connections. I did that until I landed my dream job that I still love. As I said last season, it's those moments when your relationship gets tested. When you need to lean heavily on your partner. Unfortunately, in my case, I had a lazy partner. Like Issa, I was locked in for five years as well, though we didn't live together. It was another case of having to flat out tell someone something that should be relationship common sense, but that's a mistake a lot of people make. We assume that everyone thinks like we do.

Issa and Lawrence's argument was reminiscent of her fight with Molly last season. Those are the fights you can only have with someone who knows all your shit.

That bathroom hookup was not it. It was that moment that Molly finally realized that she's a sidepiece. We'll see how long her resolve lasts.

I was under the impression that we were going to see a Due North episode every week. What happened?!

1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I've never met a couple that constantly bragged about how happy they are, how in love they are, "my best friend, my muse, my earth wind and fire ..." that was actually that happy. I know plenty of happy couples but they just ARE happy and go on about their business, they don't talk about it constantly. The last instance I saw of "he's my everything, blah blah blah" social media bragging ended in divorce when she (who was doing most of the bragging) left him and their two kids for another woman. 

True, the reason I got off of Facebook is when I had dinner with an quasi-friend who had an insufferable Facebook full of how much he was in love and what a great relationship he had who told me he hadn't had sex in over a year, his boyfriend had been sleeping on the sofa for months and he was trying to figure out how to kick him out of his house. He posted about his amazing relationship after that conversation.

• Love 4

A Pinkberry moves into your neighborhood and you're rent gets raised?  That's fucked up.

In the Wine Down, the actress who plays Kelli said something about Tiffany and Derek being messed up but not owning it or something like that.  So maybe that's a potential B plot in the future, though they have plenty of story lines just with the 3 main characters.

On 9/3/2017 at 11:04 PM, Amethyst said:

I figured Principal Gaines was deliberately steering the Latino kids away from We Got Y'All.  While I'm glad Issa called him out on it, it still bugs that the sole responsibility lay on her to do it.  Nothing was stopping Frieda from taking action, so why didn't she?  Still, I'll take it if it means putting this plot to rest.

I think Frieda wanted them to present a united front, to their boss, so that she could confront the principal, not do it themselves.

What made it bad is that Issa knew deep down the guy was horrible but she didn't want to risk their program failing -- if he pulled the kids out, then they'd have to bail out of that school.

Not sure why Issa had a change of heart about this work matter after her personal life kind of was at a low.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Issa and Lawrence at this point have reached toxic levels.  But as far as I am concerned Lawrence is just terrible.  He built up this whole fantasy in his head about Issa and Daniel and let that propel him in to lashing out at her in ways designed to make her notice.  First blocking her -- which yeah they were broken up but in these times of social media currency blocking someone sends a special type of message especially since he knew she was still somewhat hopeful of getting back with him -- and then pointedly bringing Aparna to a party that is populated largely by Issa's circle of friends.

A big "HELL YES" to allll of this, but especially the bolded. Lawrence ain't shit and I feel like deep down, he knows (or at least suspects) it.

2 hours ago, scrb said:

Not sure why Issa had a change of heart about this work matter after her personal life kind of was at a low.

Seeing that kid on the bus had a real impact. I know it hurt my heart that the poor kid was trying to do better but some racist adult -- an authority figure, no less -- was preventing him from accessing all the resources available to him to help improve his situation.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, scrb said:

A Pinkberry moves into your neighborhood and you're rent gets raised?  That's fucked up

Right?  A Popeye 's yielding to a Pinkberry is just a sad illustration of gentrification.  A yoga studio is not far behind...

11 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Kelly, otoh, is the best.  All her lines were funny.  "Clearly they were having a sale on denim."  Ha!  I read she ad-libbed that.

Kelli made this whole episode. 

"Oh no this n**** di'int.."

"BUTTER N****!!!"

And after Ahmal took that bite of buttered bread, "Ima dance when you die."

Perfection.  And if she didn't have me with the denim crack, she sure had me her views on carrot cake.  I get downright stabby if someone is offering me some carrot cake as a dessert.  And that one looked like it was full of nuts and twigs--as if the carrot wasn't bad enough. 

• Love 8

Issa and Lawrence at this point have reached toxic levels.  But as far as I am concerned Lawrence is just terrible.  He built up this whole fantasy in his head about Issa and Daniel and let that propel him in to lashing out at her in ways designed to make her notice.  First blocking her -- which yeah they were broken up but in these times of social media currency blocking someone sends a special type of message especially since he knew she was still somewhat hopeful of getting back with him -- and then pointedly bringing Aparna to a party that is populated largely by Issa's circle of friends.

I don't find Lawrence to be terrible but boy is he "Hella Annoying," more so than Issa for me, because she's annoying too. I think he had every right to block her, she shouldn't be pissed about that, but she was. If she's honest with herself, she should not be pissed about that. He also had every right to bring his new "friend" to the party except maybe not, but not because of Issa, but  because it was bad etiquette. Not telling the host of the party before hand that he was bringing a plus one, is not good  etiquette. But in terms of offending or making Issa uncomfortable, too bad, we're not together anymore and you did cheat. I'm one of those folks who gets why she cheated, but I don't care, a cheater is a cheater and in this case she looks worse to me for doing so. This is how I would look at it if he cheated, believe me, so...

Now, don't get me wrong, Lawrence damn well knew he was bringing Aparna to throw it in Issa's face, deep down that motivation was there. It wasn't thought of initially because clearly it wasn't his idea at first, Aparna invited herself. But he clearly could have said I'll stop by the party and then we can meet up at such and such a place at whatever time for drinks. But not Lawrence and his passive/aggressive ass. But again, he doesn't have to be thoughtful like that, he doesn't. But don't go running outside to see how Issa's doing, it comes off as hollow. If you're going to do dirty then just own it and stop trying to come off as some thoughtful good guy.

Jay said that next week's finale is 45 minutes and all of it was written by Issa Rae, can't wait.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Right?  A Popeye 's yielding to a Pinkberry is just a sad illustration of gentrification.  A yoga studio is not far behind...

Kelli made this whole episode. 

"Oh no this n**** di'int.."

"BUTTER N****!!!"

And after Ahmal took that bite of buttered bread, "Ima dance when you die."

Perfection.  And if she didn't have me with the denim crack, she sure had me her views on carrot cake.  I get downright stabby if someone is offering me some carrot cake as a dessert.  And that one looked like it was full of nuts and twigs--as if the carrot wasn't bad enough. 

I don't understand carrot cake. Why are carrots part of cake? And if you're part of #CarrotCakeHive, please save yourself the trouble of singing the virtues of carrot cake. I'm unconvinced. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, scrb said:

I think Frieda wanted them to present a united front, to their boss, so that she could confront the principal, not do it themselves.

Maybe it is her personality to be a non-communicative wallflower, but if this were the case I wish she had just said all this.  Instead she pouted and froze Issa out.  Girl. use your words! 

7 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

I don't find Lawrence to be terrible but boy is he "Hella Annoying," more so than Issa for me, because she's annoying too.

I find Lawrence terrible because of an aggregation of things not just this final blow up.  I think he's justified in feeling angry that Issa cheated.  But like Derek and Issa both pointed out, he doesn't want to own up to his own culpability in the degradation of their relationship.  He checked out of the relationship for two years and refused to contribute.  We know she was supporting him both financially and emotionally during that time, but what was he doing to support her? Cheating is just one way to hurt your partner, Lawrence's refusal to be present in the relationship for years on end is another more insidious way to hurt but it tends to get a pass because it isn't as definitive as cheating.   Water can wear down rock just as easily as a hammer can break it. 

However,  it isn't just that.  He knew Issa wanted him back, he came back and fucked her and raised her hopes and then stepped on those hopes because he knew by doing so he could hurt her.   But it was also how he treated Tasha.  And then he has the nerve to call Issa a ho when he allowed himself to be bought into a threesome by two randos for a six pack of beer.

I get that their break up put them both in a tailspin and the look on both of them in the aftermath is just not good.  But I have more sympathy for Issa because at least her actions are only hurting herself whereas Lawrence's actions seem to splash onto and hurt other people -- Issa, Tasha and even Aparna who he put in an awkward position.

• Applause 1
  • Love 12