Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

Sort of, IMO.  Most guys would think a girl who wouldn't hold their hand in a taxi was being cold, especially if they'd been communicating for months and were supposed to be excited to see each other.  Expecting to hold hands is a giant leap from expecting someone to jump into bed after 5 minutes.   Also, Antonio didn't say he was going to kick Courtney out of his house if she didn't put out on Night 2, rather he doesn't think he'll want to continue sleeping on the microcouch while she sleeps in his bed. 

He seems like a general DB, sure, but I don't think his expectations are out of line with how most men and not just a specific type of rapey guy would feel.  

• Love 6

Yeah, I don't think of him as a creep or rapey at all.  Just kind of expecting she came over to his country to put out, which isn't, perhaps, an unfounded expectation. From what she said he was talking making babies, and she seemed very excited about it all.  I'm sure the mixed signals are going both ways.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

Yeah, I don't think of him as a creep or rapey at all.  Just kind of expecting she came over to his country to put out, which isn't, perhaps, an unfounded expectation. From what she said he was talking making babies, and she seemed very excited about it all.  I'm sure the mixed signals are going both ways.

His chance of doing the horizontal mambo with her on the first night would have gone up exponentially had he just met her at the airport.  She was clearly and justifiably pissed, but Senor Playboy can't seem to grasp that concept.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, AmyBre said:

I wonder about the damage this show is doing to the legitimate couples who have serious, mature relationships and truly want to bring their loved ones to the US.    If I'm an immigration officer and seeing these clowns, my judgement and the kind of questions that I'm going to ask are definitely going to be harder. 

Hi Loren!!!!! ;)

51 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Most guys would think a girl who wouldn't hold their hand in a taxi was being cold, especially if they'd been communicating for months and were supposed to be excited to see each other. 

Except for non-engaged Duggars, of course . . .  ;)

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Drogo said:

Sort of, IMO.  Most guys would think a girl who wouldn't hold their hand in a taxi was being cold, especially if they'd been communicating for months and were supposed to be excited to see each other.  Expecting to hold hands is a giant leap from expecting someone to jump into bed after 5 minutes.   Also, Antonio didn't say he was going to kick Courtney out of his house if she didn't put out on Night 2, rather he doesn't think he'll want to continue sleeping on the microcouch while she sleeps in his bed. 

He seems like a general DB, sure, but I don't think his expectations are out of line with how most men and not just a specific type of rapey guy would feel.  

I think I would chalk this up to the language barrier.  Corny is still feeling like she didn't get the proper "I'm sorry" for being left at the airport and then left at the park.  Imagine the excitement of getting to meet Antonio at the airport and you get a text that he has to work.  Your camera crew is taping all of this public humiliation and potential catfish.  She keeps harping on this that he did not prioritize her over work.   Then she is asked to wait at the park and he's late....looks like she manages to put her contact lenses in but she's still hot, jetlagged etc and the first thing he does when he sees her is go in for a mouth kiss and all that PDA.   She's pretty much been stewing and getting more pissed for about 5 hours now.  She's exhausted, paranoid, wondering what is going to happen and some bozo shows up and pretends everything is normal (because from his perspective and what the producers told him to do it probably IS!!!!)

Antonio does dance around a few different versions of "i'm sorry" but since he doesn't speak english very well he's hoping that "i had to work.  I hope she understands that because it makes perfect sense to me and what the producers wanted me to do (hahahahahahahha)"   Unfortunately Corny isn't feeling that it's enough.  This is either cultural or language based miscommunication IMO.  It's kind of the same thing with Karine and her thinking Paul should be holding the door open for her.  When a woman feels disrespected or misunderstood, something as simple as holding hands in a cab seems like you are agreeing that you are over it and we are moving on.....which clearly is not happening with Corny as she brings it up again later after the pageant.

What makes Corny unique is that a lot of women in this state of mind would just bounce and get a hotel.  Agree to sleep, shower and start over and see what happens.  The fact that Corny insists on staying at his house and setting up even more misunderstandings seems odd at best.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, ChiBurbsMama said:

My theory is that the "hasn't done it in a decade" story COULD be a pre-emptive response to our collective screaming at the TV -- "HEY PAUL! Why didn't YOU have to be tested for STDs so Karine can trust YOU?!?!?!" Paul's the one going on and on about all his "many" past relationship trainwrecks and "shadowy" criminal past he hasn't seen fit to tell her about yet. Untrustworthy x 10. What a worthless putz. Is he the one shown in the preview clips being shot at as he runs screaming into the jungle? LOL Can't wait -- early nominee for most delicious moment of the season!

Oh, I believe Paul when he says he hasn't gotten any in more than a decade.  No American woman or man would want to have sex with that creep, not for any amount of money.  No, Paul had to go to the deepest depths of the Amazon to find a sex partner. So gross.  

Even so, he should be tested for an STD because STD's don't disappear after a decade. 

• Love 6

Regarding Cortney and her being upset that Antonio didn't meet her at the airport, if I had to work and someone I was 'friendly' with over the internet was coming to visit, I would honor my work commitment and expect that person to find their own transportation.  Now, if I offered to meet them it would be different.  This is someone Antonio really doesn't know and apparently doesn't intent to have as a life partner, yet his bills need to be paid, so work it is.  Especially if he is trying to work as a model he probably doesn't have the luxury to say no to any jobs that come along (based upon his living situation, age, etc.).  I think it's almost a bit presumptuous for Cortney to expect him to rearrange work, etc., when it was clear when they were communicating with each other that he wouldn't adjust his schedule to face-time with her or Skype with her.  It seems like he is consistent with the behaviors he demonstrated during the 2 months or so they were texting.  I also think it was presumptuous of Cortney to expect to stay at his apartment.  His surprise that she wanted to stay with him rather than a hotel seemed genuine so she probably never communicated that before going to Spain.  It could have been a case of 'I'll be in Spain for three weeks and I want to meet you and hang out with you' rather than a clear communication of what her relationship expectations were with him.  

• Love 7
1 minute ago, seacliffsal said:

It could have been a case of 'I'll be in Spain for three weeks and I want to meet you and hang out with you' rather than a clear communication of what her relationship expectations were with him.  

It could have been anything.  We cant know if Cortney's expectations were realistic or not without knowing what they talked about, agreed on, etc.  And we don't know any of that.  

• Love 1
On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:13 PM, AZChristian said:

.  Even so, COMMON COURTESY dictates that one does not just walk into the tiny home of ANYONE (same sex or not), and announce that they are staying there and that the person who PAYS THE RENT will sleep on a couch.  Cortney is so out of line in so many ways.  I fear for her safety if she continues to be oblivious as to appropriate behavior (dictating sleeping arrangements, checking out the guy's phone).  

Antonio has been rude to her all day long, to say the least. Who cares whether he sleeps on the floor or not.

He didn't  even complain to her... He knew he was far from blameless.

10 hours ago, EastCoast4Life said:

I noticed that almost everyone seems to look much better in their online photos, than in person. Especially Corny. When her and Antonio were doing their selfie photo-shoot in his bunk, the pictures of Corny (with her mouth closed of course), were almost attractive. And Jenny, girl, you missing some teeth! Hopefully, Larry won't mind. He's got chocolate for the family!

Yes ! Corny looks great in front of a camera. Not that much in person.

So far the one I like the most is Miriam. She's got a little something. Effortless.  She doesn't need tons of makeup and a crazy outfit to look confident. French girl! What else.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Bibi said:

So far the one I like the most is Miriam. She's got a little something. Effortless.  She doesn't need tons of makeup and a crazy outfit to look confident. French girl! What else.

But even she looked different in person. I swear, if she's an 10 on Facebook, she's probably a 5 in person. All the selfie editing is out of control. And it is the norm nowadays. I can get with angles and certain poses that are flattering, but these girls change their entire faces and blur the complexions, whiten teeth, color the eyes. It's crazy. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Regarding Cortney and her being upset that Antonio didn't meet her at the airport, if I had to work and someone I was 'friendly' with over the internet was coming to visit, I would honor my work commitment and expect that person to find their own transportation.  Now, if I offered to meet them it would be different.  This is someone Antonio really doesn't know and apparently doesn't intent to have as a life partner, yet his bills need to be paid, so work it is.  Especially if he is trying to work as a model he probably doesn't have the luxury to say no to any jobs that come along (based upon his living situation, age, etc.).  I think it's almost a bit presumptuous for Cortney to expect him to rearrange work, etc., when it was clear when they were communicating with each other that he wouldn't adjust his schedule to face-time with her or Skype with her.  It seems like he is consistent with the behaviors he demonstrated during the 2 months or so they were texting.  I also think it was presumptuous of Cortney to expect to stay at his apartment.  His surprise that she wanted to stay with him rather than a hotel seemed genuine so she probably never communicated that before going to Spain.  It could have been a case of 'I'll be in Spain for three weeks and I want to meet you and hang out with you' rather than a clear communication of what her relationship expectations were with him.  

Very good point. I tend to agree with him in that regard. He needed to be very clear that he would not be picking her up from the airport and he obviously wasn't clear enough for this dumbo. That may not be entirely his fault considering she DOESNT FREAKING GET IT. Words probably bounce back off her gums.

Antonio is still a douche and I get a rape vibe from him. His hand up her ass was not welcomed and he knew it. She's so dumb. She vulnerable now. She's the perfect prey for manipulative fuckboys.

• Love 3

Paul all sweaty from the day, with those dirty socks on the bed; HOT!. Seriously that was gross, and Karine is trying to jump his bones so hard. There has to be something we are missing here right? Something not being translated on television? There is nothing about Paul that would lead me to believe she wants to sex him that bad. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Drogo said:
12 hours ago, KateHearts said:

Antonio is a specific "type" of guy; I've seen this in America as well.   He flirts, he says all the right things, he lures the girl into his trap and then... when she's not naked in his bed in 5 minutes she's "cold." He can't understand why she is not just thrilled to be with him in all his glory.  And by god, she came on to him, so she'd better put out by night #2 or she'll be kicked to the curb! Of course, 

He's what you would call a "player."

I believe the "coldness" he is referring to is not about sexual reluctance at all, it's more of a cultural thing (Meditarranean culture vs American/Northern European ish), like that her demeanor was very reserved as opposed to "open and inviting." Like, even when she was mad or irritated, she kept the same smile plastered on her face, so he couldnt read her emotions. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Sprockets said:

It could have been anything.  We cant know if Cortney's expectations were realistic or not without knowing what they talked about, agreed on, etc.  And we don't know any of that.  

Im not sure what her expectations could possibly be from a guy who couldnt pick up the phone to call her, ever, in those couple months. 

• Love 5

I took one for the team and went back to at least look at their first meeting again and nowhere does she exactly say he said he was going to meet her/pick her up at the airport.  She said "you texted me yesterday and said how excited you were to see me/meet me...."  so it seemed like it was more of a Can't wait to meet you tomorrow type thing.   She gave him her flight information but she didn't explicitly say (even when she was mad at him) YOU SAID YOU WERE PICKING ME UP.   She said "i was disappointed to get your text that you weren't coming."  So there's that.   Edited however you want.   And yes she lead with it and hammered it home.

What I also noticed is that she is an uptalker.  So nothing she says is declarative, even when she is mad.  Couple that with the fact that she is also a smile talker, this is a bad combination for communication.  Even I couldn't tell "how mad" she was because her voice inflection said everything was a question.....plus she was smiling.  And English is my native language.   Note for any young or not so young people who are picking up this bad speech habit.....it's hard to listen to but even worse to try to understand what you are saying. 

And he kissed her hello.   Then he went in for more and she pushed him off.  Then he went in for another and she pushed him off.   Then he called her cold....version 1.   LOL

I do wish they showed more of their interaction before hand so we know what was said.   She did say he said that he loved her and wanted to marry her....maybe ol Corny is a literalist instead of translating that into Spanish as "i like you, i think you are hot, i like your clear eyes, you could be my number 3 girl,  i'd love to have sex with you every Tuesday."

Oh and they showed Jenny's pictures again.....YEAH THAT"S NOT JENNY IN THOSE PICTURES.   That's not even a filter, photoshop or anything.....straight up someone else.  Someone else's daughter?  How can he think that's the same person?  Poor Larry.   They had to have talked or exchanged other real pictures....he would have had no way of even recognizing her based on those anime photos!!!!  What.  Ever.

• Love 14
On 9/17/2017 at 8:12 PM, Godfrey said:

Patrick, go home. You got friend-zoned.

Yeah, he got friend-zoned ... and completely blind-sided by it. However, he's in Paris. He might as well make the best of it, spend some time with his erstwhile would-be girlfriend and see the sights. After all, what are the odds he'll ever be in Paris again? Besides, it'll give him the opportunity to forge a real friendship with her and it's a growth opportunity.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

Besides, it'll give him the opportunity to forge a real friendship with her and it's a growth opportunity.

Friendship with someone who did that to him?  He'd do better to pick a random stranger on the street.  This whole thing feels contrived, anyway.  

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Friendship with someone who did that to him?  He'd do better to pick a random stranger on the street.  This whole thing feels contrived, anyway.  

Well, presumably he considered them friends from their online conversations. Yeah, it's rough that she didn't tell him before he made the trip. However, other than the trip to Paris, what she did isn't that much different from flirting with someone a while and then finding out they've got someone already. I've had that happen to me at least twice in life. Sometimes you can manage to be friends with them and sometimes you cannot. I guess I feel like since he made the trip to Paris, then he might as well make the most of it - and she would prove to be a good guide and probably good company. Why not have the best time you can while you're there?

• Love 1

I have noticed that there is a vocabulary that all of these couples use, they seem to all call each other things like, "my love," "baby," and fall in love in a matter of days...is this some sort of a syndrome?  Or, maybe they use those words when they skype because they are skyping so many people they can not remember who is who(m?) 

Are we ever going to see one of these visits and they decide not to move forward with their relationship, I am thinking Patrick's story with Miryiam is not really over.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

Well, presumably he considered them friends from their online conversations. Yeah, it's rough that she didn't tell him before he made the trip. However, other than the trip to Paris, what she did isn't that much different from flirting with someone a while and then finding out they've got someone already. I've had that happen to me at least twice in life. Sometimes you can manage to be friends with them and sometimes you cannot. I guess I feel like since he made the trip to Paris, then he might as well make the most of it - and she would prove to be a good guide and probably good company. Why not have the best time you can while you're there?

The only way Myriam can really redeem herself here would be to introduce Patrick to one of her girlfriends who might like him. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I have noticed that there is a vocabulary that all of these couples use, they seem to all call each other things like, "my love," "baby," and fall in love in a matter of days...is this some sort of a syndrome?  Or, maybe they use those words when they skype because they are skyping so many people they can not remember who is who(m?) 

Are we ever going to see one of these visits and they decide not to move forward with their relationship, I am thinking Patrick's story with Miryiam is not really over.

In my opinion, this is just a sign of immaturity. They're infatuated with the other person and they're probably in love with the idea of being in love. So they say things like "my love" and "baby" to prove just how much they care about the other person because, of course, you only use cutesy names like that when you're truly, madly, deeply in love. Right? Right? I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of these people use cutesy names because of the number of people they're talking to; Jenny from the Philippines is absolutely one of these.

14 minutes ago, Matias130 said:

The only way Myriam can really redeem herself here would be to introduce Patrick to one of her girlfriends who might like him. 

That could be interesting. At least he'd get to spend some in-person time with whoever she might match him up with. If they really hit it off, it might be a solid experience on which to start building a relationship. Once he returns to the US, he could spend time learning French from her and helping her improve her English, and that would give them the opportunities to talk about a lot of different things and really get to know each other. (I'm assuming she already knows English since learning multiple languages is pretty common in most countries, especially European ones.) I've had to live apart from my wife a couple of times during our marriage and being unable to do anything else with her but talk has definitely strengthened the relationship.

• Love 4

I wouldn't want to date a guy who is in love with one of my friends, even if she's the one who set us up. No thank you to sloppy seconds. Patrick should accept that he's on a solo vacation. Solo travel is fun and therapeutic. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

I wouldn't want to date a guy who is in love with one of my friends, even if she's the one who set us up. No thank you to sloppy seconds.

Fair enough.

Patrick should accept that he's on a solo vacation. Solo travel is fun and therapeutic. 

True enough.

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

I wouldn't want to date a guy who is in love with one of my friends, even if she's the one who set us up. No thank you to sloppy seconds. Patrick should accept that he's on a solo vacation. Solo travel is fun and therapeutic. 

Yes, that's fair enough. But I'm sure if any of her friends thought he was cute they wouldnt say no to just casually showing him around Paris as a favor to her and just provide some female company since he doesnt know anyone. He doesnt strike me as the type who likes hanging out alone. 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Matias130 said:

Yes, that's fair enough. But I'm sure if any of her friends thought he was cute they wouldnt say no to just casually showing him around Paris as a favor to her and just provide some female company since he doesnt know anyone. He doesnt strike me as the type who likes hanging out alone. 

I wouldn't mind doing that without any expectations or pressure. It would be more like setting up a friendship. 

Here is my question.  These people are obviously traveling with a camera crew.  So how real can it all be?  I mean, Paul had a camera crew with him on his boat exertion to Karina...then he said he would be stuck by himself if she didn't show up,  but he is with a camera crew.   

I just can't buy such good looking people who go through this with these people just to get to a green card.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Bibi said:

she did look good.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Laurie4H said:

I just can't buy such good looking people who go through this with these people just to get to a green card.

This season is feeling especially rigged to me.  Like maybe none of the back stories is true.  

• Love 2

I don't think Miriam should spend any time with Patrick as a "tour guide" or a friend. She has already fucked him over enough. But is she obligated to provide anything for him, considering she could have saved him a lot of money by telling him she had a boyfriend BEFORE he boarded a flight? 

6 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

But is she obligated to provide anything for him, considering she could have saved him a lot of money by telling him she had a boyfriend BEFORE he boarded a flight? 

No, she isn't obligated.  I hope he can move on, in any direction that is away from her.  Although at this point I can't see how he qualifies to be on the show. . . .

2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Not to give away the breadth of my tacky TV watching, but - the Dr Phil catfish stories have shown that those two phrases, and the quick "falling in love" are really typical of the serious catfishers out of Nigeria &c.  It does seem to be because they are working on several targets at once.   But the people these goofballs are "in love with" at least are actual people (even Antonio!) -   Their web sites like "Filipino Cupid" &c may give them phrases to use and techniques.  I wonder ..

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

No, she isn't obligated.  I hope he can move on, in any direction that is away from her.  Although at this point I can't see how he qualifies to be on the show. . . .

They set up bullshit stories for filler and then do extended rerun episodes. Why not just show us more of the real stories to begin with? The producers knew her big secret before they hired her. Same with cortney and Antonio. Surely they knew he wasn't serious about this. I want to see the people who are serious about coming to the United States and getting the green card. Not these fake scenarios of people in Paris or Spain that don't really want to move, but just want to be on tv.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I have noticed that there is a vocabulary that all of these couples use, they seem to all call each other things like, "my love," "baby," and fall in love in a matter of days...is this some sort of a syndrome?  Or, maybe they use those words when they skype because they are skyping so many people they can not remember who is who(m?

Way back when I was in high school, eons ago, dated someone from my school and someone from another school. They would call, and I’d say “Hey baby!” Because their voices sounded a lot alike. 

I can imagine the people on this show who are looking for a green card are probably juggling lots of Babys.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Laurie4H said:

Here is my question.  These people are obviously traveling with a camera crew.  So how real can it all be?  I mean, Paul had a camera crew with him on his boat exertion to Karina...then he said he would be stuck by himself if she didn't show up,  but he is with a camera crew.   

That is the thing.  I think under circumstances without a camera crew being there, some of these people would not engage with some of the Americans who do not meet their expectations.  It's much easier to bail without a camera crew filming you AND people judging you who will be watching the footage.  OTOH it gives some protection to the Americans who may be meeting up with potentially unsavory people without good intentions.  By the time these couples meet up, the camera crew has already filmed some of these people talking about meeting up with their Americans so the camera crew has essentially already vetted them. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Nowhere said:

They set up bullshit stories for filler and then do extended rerun episodes. Why not just show us more of the real stories to begin with? The producers knew her big secret before they hired her. Same with cortney and Antonio. Surely they knew he wasn't serious about this. I want to see the people who are serious about coming to the United States and getting the green card. Not these fake scenarios of people in Paris or Spain that don't really want to move, but just want to be on tv.

Yeah, most of these stories are about men shipping in women from one of these countries: 1) the Philippines; 2) Columbia/parts of S.America; or 3) Russia. These are countries where you could say life is more difficult and less comfortable than the U.S, and also where there is an abundance of women whom many older and wealthy Western men would be into and willing to pay the money to ship them over. Has there been a story on this show where a woman was actually brought in from Western Europe, Australia, Canada and got married ? 

I'm disappointed this show doesnt depict any international couples who are awaiting arranged marriages. I actually remember a riveting episode of Snapped where an Americanized Indian guy brought in his very traditional Indian bride and after 5 days of marriage in the US she lit him on fire and killed him. I believe she must have come over on a K1 Visa. 

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:46 AM, Boofish said:

Looks wise, Myriam is no prize either

WHATTTTT?!! IMO Myriam is the best looking 90 day person so far, out of all seasons. The superficial part of me was rooting for Myriam and Patrick; they're both so cute. (But such tools!)

• Love 10
Just now, balisticnikki said:

WHATTTTT?!! IMO Myriam is the best looking 90 day person so far, out of all seasons. The superficial part of me was rooting for Myriam and Patrick; they're both so cute. (But such tools!)

I think Myriam is pretty, in an interesting, exotic, natural sort of way, like you couldnt exactly tell what is her background from looking at her. 

Edited by Matias130
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Matias130 said:

I think Myriam is pretty, in an interesting, exotic sort of way, like you couldnt exactly tell what is her background from looking at her. 

She is pretty! Gorgeous bouncy hair, clear skin, beautiful smile. Not trying too hard. I would try to avoid using the word "exotic," though, in describing people. Racist connotation. Not intended, by you, I'm sure.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Palomar said:

By the time these couples meet up, the camera crew has already filmed some of these people talking about meeting up with their Americans so the camera crew has essentially already vetted them. 

How do we know they film them before meeting their Americans though?  Those packages of introducing them can be done at any time and edit a certain way.

You have to wonder how this all works?  If it's legit.   How does the show find these people who are on apps meeting people overseas?  When are the people overseas informed they are part of a TV show?  

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Love 1

It was hilarious when Paul was trying to communicate to Karine's dad that he was going to give her a ring and his gesture made it seem that he was saying he penetrated her.  He's so pathetic.

I still have flashbacks about that kiss.  He is in no way appealing. Karine said she likes his blue eyes and his light hair. So I guess that makes up for all the grossness that is Paul. 

And his pants keep falling down and drooping. I can't.

• Love 4