Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, For Cereals said:

Larry is definitely the male version of Danielle.

OUCH!  Please...no comparison to Danielle.   Larry might be a bit dim, but he seems like a nice guy.  He's a manager at McDonald's, has worked there a long time, likes his job, his dog, his boys, and seems like a reponsible citizen.  He's more of an innocent; she's more of a lying criminal con-artist with a low IQ, a sense of entitlement but no sense of responsibility.  

• Love 17
On 9/3/2017 at 10:15 PM, Adeejay said:

When Karine’s father said that he couldn’t believe an American was going to give his poverty- stricken daughter a better life, it brought tears to my eyes.  As a parent, I just can’t fathom turning over my beautiful 19-year old daughter to a creeper like Paul. Given that the father was supposedly in law enforcement, I don’t understand why their standard of living isn’t higher. 

While Abby’s Dad was quick to give his blessing, I sensed some hesitation on her mother’s part.  Based on her comments, I can’t help but wonder how many potential mates Abby has brought home. 

Law enforcement in 3rd world countries is not at all like Law enforcement in the US.   Here those are actually good jobs, there they are not, which is why corruption is so rampant.   

You may not see yourself doing this but if you saw that your daughter had not chance of getting out of that poverty, no education, no working class jobs, nothing.   Your life is waking up, tending to your parents or your siblings until you get a job at some factory.   I'm not saying this is how all foreigners live, but in that part of the country where Karine live, you can just see the hopelessness everywhere.   If your only chance was to date and marry a plain nut and uninteresting man, if that allowed you to get out of that s#ithole and you will eventually sponsor your family, then you too will take one for the team and live in misery for 5 years.   It's either "do" those years, or live in shit for the rest of your lives and see your family and their descendants live in shit too, for eternities to come......

The one thing I promise myself I would give my daughters is the best education money I can afford, a work ethic and help them get economically established so they never have to depend on some creep.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Ugly American.

He was looking for the "bodock" when he arrived, confusing for me and I speak English.

Didn't this idiot study at least a little Spanish in high school?  With a foundation of basic hs Spanish and taking some time to learn some basic words in Portuguese, Paul should know at least polite phrases, basic food words, basic travel navigation words, but this ass apparently doesn't know one damn word of Portuguese.  Lazy and selfish.  

• Love 10

I thought it extremely insulting when the stepdad said she was out of his league.  What a hurtful thing to say.

They saw how she was acting and speaking...and thought that with her (apparently) extremely low IQ she wouldn't be insulted.

And honestly? It's true. And its really weird that a hot young guy like that is trolling the Internet for an average looking woman in her 40's with two kids who lives in another country. It's a huge red flag that either he's a scammer or something is wrong with him. I say the same thing about Paul. He's a nice looking 34 year old guy. Given the male to female ratio at that age, he should have women knocking each other over to get to him, especially if he's a Christian and hangs out in any Christian church singles groups. I say this from experience. Something is wrong with these guys. Either they're scamming, or they have some other fatal flaw. Like carrying around some of Mommy's hair. In Paul's case, I have found that some single Christian guys who say they want a relationship but never find one are actually gay and in the closet. Not all single Christian guys by any means, but some.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, orangeiguana said:

Paul and Karine: if he's going to be there for six weeks, it should become obvious within four weeks whether or not she's pregnant when her period comes. One wonders if he knows how that works...

Do you think he's going to wait that long to have sex with a woman apparently willing to bed him?

• Love 1

I get the feeling that out of the many applicants to this show, Sharp and TLC explicitly pick the ones in the worst circumstances or least likely to make it as a couple.   Paul comes off as a Loser in the first minute you meet him (few men have it that bad).   And Karine may be cute, but doesn't speak one word of English.   How likely is she to form a meaningful relationship with someone she can't communicate with.   Abby on the other hand, knows about the "Marry an American" track and she's been practicing for it for a long time.   She grew up seeing women doing this and at some point thought, I could do it.   She will marry Chris, get pregnant and have her fun on the side.  Notice how she's really a young girl, but she handles certain aspects of her life as a mature woman.  She knows what she's doing.  

Back to my original point, Abby gets picked with Mr. Creepy because Sharp/TLC know that the age disparity is of concern and will create drama.  Hundreds of couples apply to this freak shows, they will receive financial and legal assistance with the process and their 2 minutes of fame.  Of these hundreds, they select 10 to 20 and from those, they pick the final 5 or 6 couples that they will feature.  You need to picture this selection process.   A big round table of producers, each indicating which couple is weirder than the next.  Which aspects of their lives can be exploited?   All the things we write about and find absolutely crazy/stupid, have been planned or predicted by producers who have been doing this for a long time.

Even after knowing this, I still see parts of the show and find myself screaming at the TV "what in the name of God are they thinking?"    or  "Can't you see she's playing you!!!"

Edited by AmyBre
typos
  • Love 9
48 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

OUCH!  Please...no comparison to Danielle.   Larry might be a bit dim, but he seems like a nice guy.  He's a manager at McDonald's, has worked there a long time, likes his job, his dog, his boys, and seems like a reponsible citizen.  He's more of an innocent; she's more of a lying criminal con-artist with a low IQ, a sense of entitlement but no sense of responsibility.  

Don't forget a criminal record! Danielle is the worst! (in other words, reality tv gold). I think Larry's a nice guy too. He seems sweet and not too bright. If he and Jenny can have a few years happiness well, more power to him.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dobian said:

I don't think he knows what the ring is so he just makes up what he thinks it is.  The person at the jewelry store probably just showed it to him and said, "isn't that one pretty, and it's on sale for $400".

Jewelry store?  You mean Walmart? 

19 minutes ago, Major Bigtime said:
39 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

It may take him that long for Mom to knit him a penis protector with her hair.

I think he's done a bit too much talking about his penis for me to believe he has one.  If he does, it's vestigial, like a little glistening appendix.  I keep waiting for the asylum to notice a patient is missing. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, AmyBre said:

Paul comes off as a Loser in the first minute you meet him (few men have it that bad).   And Karine may be cute, but doesn't speak one word of English.   How likely is she to form a meaningful relationship with someone she can't communicate with.  

Yes, 100% that.  How juvenile to think they can connect and have meaningful conversation about the things in life that matter thru an app on a phone.

The swimming in the protective clothing was just awful, Karine is either a saint to over look it or just a girl on a mission to get out of the Amazon.  

• Love 4
On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, Liamsmom617 said:

I can't snark on Larry. Poor guy. He's trying his best....sigh. I don't want to see him get hurt. 

Sean and Paul though? Bring it ON!

Me too (thinking Paul was doing the "sex" gesture)!! Haha....

I don't know, I'm suspicious of Larry.   He said both of his baby mamas left because they "didn't want to commit."  Usually women don't have babies with men then leave them because they don't want to commit.  Also how he called her in the middle of the night when he saw her logged into the website, demanding answers. Then in the previews where his friends are TELLING him this girl is a scammer and he's still not budging... something isn't right with that guy.  I guarantee he's got some major skeletons.

Also, am I the only one who immediately said "she's got a kid" when Myriam started talking about her "secret"? 

And Abby totally just sees creepy Sean as her ticket out of Haiti.  But hey, if he's willing to be used and pretend that Abby (who is a fucking CHILD next to him) actually loves him, go for it.  At least she's getting something out of it (other than 5,693 pairs of panties.)

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, lezlers said:

I don't know, I'm suspicious of Larry.   He said both of his baby mamas left because they "didn't want to commit."  Usually women don't have babies with men then leave them because they don't want to commit.  Also how he called her in the middle of the night when he saw her logged into the website, demanding answers. Then in the previews where his friends are TELLING him this girl is a scammer and he's still not budging... something isn't right with that guy.  I guarantee he's got some major skeletons.

Agreed. It's why I said earlier that he gave me Mark vibes, that he was a very controlling person. I can see women in his past leaving him if he's tracking them 24/7, watching their every move, monitoring their phone or Internet useage. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, spankydoll said:

Abby is infatuated with a man who won't commit. And she is moving forward. We don't all end up with our soulmates. Her new beau is classless. He was very rude to her family. He has terrible manners all around. This is the time for him to put his best foot forward and set the tone for their romance. Her future looks fairly mundane. I'd be sad too

Right?  It skeevs me out how he calls her "baby" all the time.   And when you're first meeting your 20 year old "girlfriends" parents, it's probably best not to say "baby, hey baby, can you come translate?"  Have a little fucking tact, dude, and call her by her name.  Gah, he makes my skin crawl.

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 12

Did Patrick and Miriam meet on a dating app/site? Don't those have a profile with mandatory fields for how many children you have, etc? If her secret is that she has a child, but she hasn't put it in her profile, that's not a secret, that's a misrepresentation...

9 minutes ago, Ivanova said:

Did Patrick and Miriam meet on a dating app/site? Don't those have a profile with mandatory fields for how many children you have, etc? If her secret is that she has a child, but she hasn't put it in her profile, that's not a secret, that's a misrepresentation...

People lie on dating sites?  Are you serious?

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
5 minutes ago, RichiesOlderBro said:

People lie on dating sites?  Are you serious?

I know what you mean, but I was saying more in a sense that when you're on a dating site, especially if you're looking for a serious relationship, you have to disclose basic info about yourself, like your age, where you live, if you have any children. These are things that will be revealed sooner or later unlike other things that can change and don't matter so much, like your hobbies, employment, interests. People can lie about minor things to make themselves more attractive, but lying about the basics is just stupid.

Edited by Ivanova
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, Ivanova said:

I know what you mean, but I was saying more in a sense that when you're on a dating site, especially if you're looking for a serious relationship, you have to disclose basic info about yourself, like your age, where you live, if you have any children. These are things that will be revealed sooner or later unlike other things that can change and don't matter so much, like your hobbies, employment, interests. People can lie about minor things to make themselves more attractive, but lying about the basics is just stupid.

People lie about major things all the time when dating and not even when using a dating app thinking that they can reveal it once there are feelings. In Miriam's case it sounded more that it was on a regular social media app where he started following her. She also seemed kind of surprised he came to visit her.

• Love 2

People lie about major things all the time when dating and not even when using a dating app thinking that they can reveal it once their are feelings. In Miriam's case it sounded more that it was on a regular social media app where he started following her.

I assume they're talking about Instagram.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Major Bigtime said:

She started following him, I think. If I am remembering correctly.

She stated that he started following her and then she looked at his pictures and thought he was hot with a good body so they started talking.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, AmyBre said:

I get the feeling that out of the many applicants to this show, Sharp and TLC explicitly pick the ones in the worst circumstances or least likely to make it as a couple.   Paul comes off as a Loser in the first minute you meet him (few men have it that bad).   And Karine may be cute, but doesn't speak one word of English.   How likely is she to form a meaningful relationship with someone she can't communicate with.   Abby on the other hand, knows about the "Marry an American" track and she's been practicing for it for a long time.   She grew up seeing women doing this and at some point thought, I could do it.   She will marry Chris, get pregnant and have her fun on the side.  Notice how she's really a young girl, but she handles certain aspects of her life as a mature woman.  She knows what she's doing.  

Back to my original point, Abby gets picked with Mr. Creepy because Sharp/TLC know that the age disparity is of concern and will create drama.  Hundreds of couples apply to this freak shows, they will receive financial and legal assistance with the process and their 2 minutes of fame.  Of these hundreds, they select 10 to 20 and from those, they pick the final 5 or 6 couples that they will feature.  You need to picture this selection process.   A big round table of producers, each indicating which couple is weirder than the next.  Which aspects of their lives can be exploited?   All the things we write about and find absolutely crazy/stupid, have been planned or predicted by producers who have been doing this for a long time.

Even after knowing this, I still see parts of the show and find myself screaming at the TV "what in the name of God are they thinking?"    or  "Can't you see she's playing you!!!"

They must only choose people who are willing to get engaged during their first meetup in person. Otherwise, they might find a couple who wants to take years of online interaction before becoming engaged. I think that is why people like Larry, besides being desperate, are considering engagement after only 2 months.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

She stated that he started following her and then she looked at his pictures and thought he was hot with a good body so they started talking.

Interestingly, before she said this, he said she had followed him first. Okay, it's not that interesting, but they defs don't have their stories straight on this one.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

It's hard to snark at Larry.  He's so sad.  He needs a hug

I'm just getting around to watching this.  I so agree.  He's breaking my heart.  He seems normal and okay.  Know what?  I hope he ends up being totally weird because I would rather roll my eyes than feel sorry for him for the coming weeks.  

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Kellyee said:

And honestly? It's true. And its really weird that a hot young guy like that is trolling the Internet for an average looking woman in her 40's with two kids who lives in another country. It's a huge red flag that either he's a scammer or something is wrong with him. I say the same thing about Paul. He's a nice looking 34 year old guy. Given the male to female ratio at that age, he should have women knocking each other over to get to him, especially if he's a Christian and hangs out in any Christian church singles groups. I say this from experience. Something is wrong with these guys. Either they're scamming, or they have some other fatal flaw. Like carrying around some of Mommy's hair. In Paul's case, I have found that some single Christian guys who say they want a relationship but never find one are actually gay and in the closet. Not all single Christian guys by any means, but some.

Um, to each his own, but do you really think Paul is nice looking?

4 minutes ago, Latenites said:

Um, to each his own, but do you really think Paul is nice looking?

They showed a picture of him in a suit where he looked very decent. But that's only in a picture because of course, in person he makes a certain impression.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Kellyee said:

One of many pet peeves I have with the Americans on this show is that none of them appear to have even bothered to go buy Rosetta Stone so they can attempt to communicate in the language of the country they are about to spend 6 weeks visiting. Paul especially. It's pathetic and so typical of stereotypical Americans who think everyone should speak English. When I was an Exchange student in France, I used to cringe at how people assumed all French people in Paris should know English, and that all restaurants in Paris should have English menus.

English is the second language of the world and most Parisian waiters and French online daters and Dutch models are going to speak much better English than an American can learn in a few weeks on Rosetta Stone.  It's much better for an American traveling in Europe to just speak English and be understood than to garble the local language and hurt the ears of everyone around him.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, sasha206 said:

Imagine when one of her daughters decides she's in love and wants to marry that person at the tender age of 18.  What as a mother could you say about that?  "You don't really know him..."  But mom, you got married to someone you fell in love with online and wanted to marry him before ever meeting him..."

Yeah, and what about advising her daughters not to jump into bed with someone they barely know.  "But mom, you had sex the first night you were with Jesse.  I saw it on TV."  She's lost all moral authority.

Sorry, Darcy, no mother of the year award for you. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Desert Rat said:

Yeah, and what about advising her daughters not to jump into bed with someone they barely know.  "But mom, you had sex the first night you were with Jesse.  I saw it on TV."  She's lost all moral authority.

Sorry, Darcy, no mother of the year award for you. 

She can say her kids come first until the cows come home. She comes first, what she wants, nothing else. And as earlier posters have said, her kids are in school now while this is airing. It must be rough.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

How bad do you have to be in bed that a 20 year old has to tell you what to do? 

Unless I am mistaken, Abby didn't say that Sean was a bad lay, but rather that she had to tell him what she likes. For someone so young, she comes across like a pro.

I never thought I'd see the words, "Paul" and "nice looking" in the same sentence, but to each his own.  He is just so strange and creepy looking, big blue eyes notwithstanding.  My heart breaks for Karine; to think this is the best that she can do. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Unless I am mistaken, Abby didn't say that Sean was a bad lay, but rather that she had to tell him what she likes. For someone so young, she comes across like a pro.

That's what she said, but for me she didn't come  across as promiscuous so much as valuing herself and her wants.  I think most 40-somethings wish they would've had the confidence to verbalize "what they liked" when they were in their 20's.

Though to be frank, I could imagine Abby verbalizing like "Sean, I like... Chris."

• Love 18
18 hours ago, lezlers said:

Also, am I the only one who immediately said "she's got a kid" when Myriam started talking about her "secret"? 

And Abby totally just sees creepy Sean as her ticket out of Haiti.  But hey, if he's willing to be used and pretend that Abby (who is a fucking CHILD next to him) actually loves him, go for it.  At least she's getting something out of it (other than 5,693 pairs of panties.)

To me Larry reads more like pathetic 4 times married Matt. He's a smotherer, and a sad sack, and probably a passive aggressive pouter. But he still seems the most normal/likeable of this whole crew. If he and Jenny have a few good years together and they both get something they want out of it (hot girlfriend/wife, ticket out of the Philippines) more power to them.

My first thought about Myriam's secret was "she's trans". But, maybe she's married? Separated but not divorced yet?

Abby strikes me as a very smart young woman. She's laser focused and she knows just what to do and say. ("Finally!" she whispers tearfully when they meet, for instance."I never want to let go!") She'll get the hell out of Haiti come hell or high water, and I'll wager she owns her own business before she's thirty, making good money and employing Haitian immigrants who she'll pay a pittance. She's ruthless. She feels she has to be.

13 hours ago, CofCinci said:

When Paul has a haircut and clothing that fits, he looks nice. 

Well, except for the creepy smile and the cold blue eyes. He looks like a serial killer to me. "He was a quiet guy, kept to himself". Shudder.

• Love 16
On 9/6/2017 at 1:26 PM, RichiesOlderBro said:

I would love to see his mothers reaction to being correct!!

"Bwah-hah-hah-haaaaaaaaa.... (slaps table).... I told you so!!!!... Dumb ass!!!"

Edited by locomoco
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Paul worries about the results of Karine's STD and pregnancy test; Cortney feels neglected during her first day in Spain; Larry encounters travel mishaps on his way to the Philippines; Myriam drops a bombshell on Patrick when he arrives in Paris.

At this point I have to wonder if the travel doc that Paul saw was fudging with his head, or if he interpreted what was said in the very wrong way.  The candiru (penis fish) does exist, but it's not just hanging out, waiting for random wangs to swim by.  You need to be urinating and either naked, or have extremely loose trunks for it to even access your junk.  I think the condom, mesh bag, shorts, and waders were ample coverage for Paul. 

• Love 5