Type keyword(s) to search

Trading Spaces Reboot Anticipation

I remember having to hurry home, or not make any plans, on Saturday nights because Trading Spaces was on, and it was must see TV for us.  However, toward the end it turned into "how bad can we fuck up these rooms for these people?".  Like any reality TV program, it starts out with good intentions, then they have to turn up the crazy and ruin a good thing (like Say Yes to the Dress, which I can no longer watch).  I want to see the designers challenge themselves into providing nice, attractive, functional spaces for the homeowners.  To make me say "wow", in a GOOD way.  <copied from my post in "Designers", because it fits here too >

• Love 9

I am looking forward to this show so much! I've spent the last hour or so watching Youtube. I had forgotten how I much I enjoyed this show. When it came on, I had just bought a house, which sadly is no longer mine because of circumstances, but I learned to take decorating chances because of this show. I painted ceilings in 3 rooms other than white. I discovered how very much I love color and wasn't afraid to take chances with paint, it's only paint and it can be covered. Yep, there was a lot of cheap work done on the show, but that was the nature of it, going on the show, the homeowners knew the budget and if it wasn't enough for them, maybe they shouldn't have gone on. On my little house, $1000 would have gone a long way. And I'm a flea market shopper, so I can stretch a dollar. Of course, there wasn't time to do a lot of shopping for this show like a person decorating their own house would have. And there were things that should never have been done, straw on walls, painting upholstered furniture, but slip covers, no big deal, if you don't like them, take them off. 

The fear is that they'll feel a need to "outdo" the early-aughts show, on the hypothesis that only something bolder and more sensationalized can "pop" in present-day America the way the first show did 15 years ago. They'll want to get people watching who were too young for the earlier series, as well as get back the people who remember they burned out on it the first time around. So then it'll be like the Trading Spaces version of what The Real World eventually turned into. Now, I'm not sure how that would work. The producers filling the houses with alcohol so the designers and homeowners can get drunk? Screaming matches between designers and homeowners? A designer and a carpenter hooking up in a Jacuzzi? Something.  

Another Kia memory...I feel slightly bad trashing her for stuff from 15 years ago. She may be a lovely person. But I remember an interview where she dined out on her connections to Jonathan Demme and M. Night Shyamalan, and perhaps left the impression that she had contributed greatly to the overall look of movies like BelovedThe Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.  Those movies had good set decoration; there was nary an Easter-bunny grave bed to be found in them. But she was just, you know, "additional props." Not that high on the food chain.  It's 95% a matter of my hating her TS rooms, but her personality seemed abrasive too.   

I truly feel that Classic TS didn't need to be the short-lived fad that it was. They just lost their way. It was airing so often that a new episode wasn't special anymore. TWoP stopped recapping it after season three, when TLC announced the golden-goose-killing plan to produce so many more episodes in season four. That was just the mothership show, not even getting into the multiple spinoffs. It all just watered down the brand.

So I have little to no memory of anyone who was added to the cast later than Carter Oosterhouse.  

• Love 1

I'll be interested to see what the budget is on the reboot. I think that $1000 often led to cheap-looking stuff that people probably ripped down, but I don't want to see it go to $10,000...the creativity of the limited budget was good. Maybe $2-3k?

• Love 3

Wasn't the format at the very end they each had the choice of three rooms, two of which would have a $1,000 budget and one would have $2,000 or something?  They'd choose blindly and open the envelope to find out their budget.

One of the problems during the classic era was the announced budget for each room. During that period, the cost of materials, supplies and appliances went up substantially, and the show's original producers never solved that issue. Hopefully, the reboot will have a better solution and one more in keeping with cost inflation.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

One of the problems during the classic era was the announced budget for each room. During that period, the cost of materials, supplies and appliances went up substantially, and the show's original producers never solved that issue. Hopefully, the reboot will have a better solution and one more in keeping with cost inflation.

Which even my mom who was a big fan of the show wondered why that was a problem. Yes, things go up, but there are places to go and she even said: "Hell, they have coupons off of total purchases." 

On 7/25/2017 at 6:19 PM, auntjess said:

Do you think people will sign up for this, if they start doing crap?

People still sign up for shows like "Love It or List It" so yes, I do think people will sign up for it.  These are rush job makeovers  designed for TV.  Period.  And sometimes that is an appalling result to see on TV.  And sometimes it's a stunning result to see on TV.  But either way, it's likely cheap and not built to last.

If anything, I wonder if people will be more savvy now considering it's pretty easy to find information on what being on a makeover show is like. Maybe offer up a room you're going to do over anyway? 

6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

If anything, I wonder if people will be more savvy now considering it's pretty easy to find information on what being on a makeover show is like. Maybe offer up a room you're going to do over anyway? 

Or if you don't want a piece of furniture changed, move it to someone else's house before you even start the interview process.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Some relatives of mine were on a local-to-them remodeling show and I'm told that was their plan -- they had to repurpose the room anyway, so if they didn't like the design (which they didn't), all they'd wasted was a bit of time. I'm told they pretty much assumed they'd need to re-do most of it. 

3 hours ago, Ananayel said:

Reality Blurred says Ty and Carter are returning, but as designers. That should be interesting.

There's nice info in that article too about the designers that they're adding. It feels like I haven't seen John Gidding or Sabrina Soto on TV in awhile.

People magazine is calling Brett Tutor the new "hunky Trading Spaces carpenter."

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:13 PM, halopub said:

Hopefully it's just the home video production values, but Doug is looking gaunt.

It's weird, he looks like the only one who has aged since the show ended. The rest look just the same!

I love Doug (and, yes, Hildi!) so I can't wait!

that was interesting, I'm really looking forward to this show, I'll even have to get a streaming service when it starts. I'm kind of wanting to try Playstation Vue, but not particularly in a hurry about it. I didn't think anyone looked bad, just older, as do I. I saw Frank at a home show when this show was at the top of it's popularity. I would have enjoyed his talk a whole lot more if there hadn't been 2 women sitting me that talked to each other during the entire thing. Now, I'd do more than shoot dirty looks. It's just rude to take up space at a speaker's talk and talk during the entire thing. But Frank was always my favorite, I have similar taste and I like his sense of humor.

• Love 1

Seems to me they will have to make some major changes.  Since it went off the air many decor shows have been born with much higher budgets, of course.  A repeat of their old super cheap tricks is not going to work. We have become accustomed to so much more. 

I would hope some of their styles have changed.  I am talking to you Frank.  Lovely man, terrible taste!  

I am looking forward to seeing this and how they plan to change it to work today.  I have a hunch this will be a summer show.  I want it sooner though!

• Love 1

That is a good time.  All of out regular shows are finished at that point. 

I googled and took a look again at some rooms .  Oh gawd, they were really bad. 

SurEly they will a larger budget and probably a new spin on it.  

13 hours ago, Wings said:

That is a good time.  All of out regular shows are finished at that point. 

I googled and took a look again at some rooms .  Oh gawd, they were really bad. 

SurEly they will a larger budget and probably a new spin on it.  

There are just some major monstrosities over the course of the show with pretty much every designer. I'm not going into Hilde's eye sores that should be burned, or have been literally burned away. Even Frank and Vern had some ones that I remember back in their original airings watching with my family going: "What the hell?" 

1 hour ago, readster said:

There are just some major monstrosities over the course of the show with pretty much every designer. I'm not going into Hilde's eye sores that should be burned, or have been literally burned away. Even Frank and Vern had some ones that I remember back in their original airings watching with my family going: "What the hell?" 

The budget was so small that no one was able to create a fabulous room.  They are all capable of it though.   I watched Genevieve's show and saw her work online, it was good.  Vern too, of course.  

Now, it could happen that home decor sites give them items for advertising so better quality stuff is available to them.  I can see Ballard Design or Wayfair doing this.  Well I hope that is the case because cheap, tacky rooms are not going to work the second time around.  

I would not be surprised to see more crew helping and the designers doing less hands on. 

ETA.  I hope they don't replace ceiling fans for chandeliers.  Hot climates need them  Those fights were just stupid.   Laurie was the worst offender.  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Wings said:

The budget was so small that no one was able to create a fabulous room.  They are all capable of it though.   I watched Genevieve's show and saw her work online, it was good.  Vern too, of course.  

Now, it could happen that home decor sites give them items for advertising so better quality stuff is available to them.  I can see Ballard Design or Wayfair doing this.  Well I hope that is the case because cheap, tacky rooms are not going to work the second time around.  

I would not be surprised to see more crew helping and the designers doing less hands on. 

ETA.  I hope they don't replace ceiling fans for chandeliers.  Hot climates need them  Those fights were just stupid.   Laurie was the worst offender.  

Very true, there are so many more options than over a decade ago. I could even see the designers using Pinterest or various crew members helping. Frank revealed that usually after filming that crews stayed around for a few days to do anything. The straw being one of them as it took 17 hours to remove all of them and same with the feathers room. It apparently became a constant after the "brown room incident". Frank said the easiest was when they did the "foot room" as the wife had a foot problem, despite she painted her toe nails various colors and even had toe rings, but it took a whopping 5 minutes to take down the 3 canvases. 

41 minutes ago, readster said:

Very true, there are so many more options than over a decade ago. I could even see the designers using Pinterest or various crew members helping. Frank revealed that usually after filming that crews stayed around for a few days to do anything. The straw being one of them as it took 17 hours to remove all of them and same with the feathers room. It apparently became a constant after the "brown room incident". Frank said the easiest was when they did the "foot room" as the wife had a foot problem, despite she painted her toe nails various colors and even had toe rings, but it took a whopping 5 minutes to take down the 3 canvases. 

Brown room? Foot room?  Can you refresh my memory please?  

Here are some horrors.  I think the brown room was the one where Pam cried because Doug covered the fireplace they insisted not be touched. 

http://www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/fun-at-home/g4183/worst-trading-spaces-reveals/?slide=1

• Love 1
Just now, Wings said:

The Brown Room was where they walked out of the room, thanks to Laurie. The Foot Painting was from Hilde, the owner said she had constant feet issues, even though she was called out by both Hilde and her husband about her having multi-painted toe nails and toe rings. Saying: "But it's my foot." They decided to paint 3 canvases that were a giant foot when put together. When they did the reveal, she loved the living room, but wanted the painting to come down. They argued about it and she just said: "Respect me and take it down." That was the last it was seen after that. The Brown Room cost the neighbors their frienships and everything and Lauire even doing two interviews said: "I just can't believe they hated the room that much. I mean OK, you didn't like brown, but there were other parts they did admit they enjoyed, but next time when someone says I hate a certain color. I'll keep it far away."  Too bad Hilde never learned this. 

13 minutes ago, Wings said:

Here are some horrors.  I think the brown room was the one where Pam cried because Doug covered the fireplace they insisted not be touched. 

http://www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/fun-at-home/g4183/worst-trading-spaces-reveals/?slide=1

They were two separate rooms. Brown room I explained on my other post, the woman was even tackled to the grown on camera and not in a joking manner saying: "I hate brown, I've told you and told you, why did you do this?" The fireplace was another episode completely that had the same effect and then add in the baby poop room. If you notice after that episode, brown was almost outlawed by the show or by the people on it. 

3 hours ago, Wings said:

I watched Genevieve's show and saw her work online, it was good. 

I saw a nursery she designed for one of her crew, and I can't imagine anyone with no more sense than to just cover it with dust catchers.
Ruffles and flounces, everywhere, including hard-to-reach places.
Asthma waiting to happen.

1 minute ago, auntjess said:

I saw a nursery she designed for one of her crew, and I can't imagine anyone with no more sense than to just cover it with dust catchers.
Ruffles and flounces, everywhere, including hard-to-reach places.
Asthma waiting to happen.

I didn't see that.  She did some living rooms that I loved.  I even bought 2 pieces to toss on my couch.  

I went down a rabbit hole on youtube today.  Fun to take a walk down memory lane. 

I thought either Doug or Hildi did a black room that wasn't upside down? I can't find anything mentioning a black room other then the upside down one when searching though.

Edited by Jaded
11 hours ago, auntjess said:

I don't know John Gidding, but I like Sabrina Soto.
That's a pretty low budget. Maybe it'll be a fun train wreck to watch.

You be surprised what people can do with $2K. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, readster said:

You be surprised what people can do with $2K. 

If you're working on your own home, you look for what you can do with what you have, but when it's someone else's home, and mostly because some designer is making the call, they'll do something like remodel a kitchen for that.

9 hours ago, auntjess said:

If you're working on your own home, you look for what you can do with what you have, but when it's someone else's home, and mostly because some designer is making the call, they'll do something like remodel a kitchen for that.

And put the microwave up on the ceiling right? 

• Love 1
On 1/15/2018 at 7:07 AM, readster said:

And put the microwave up on the ceiling right? 

I don't understand the new trend of putting the microwave under the bottom cabinets. I've seen it in so many different design shows and I hate it. Who wants to have to bend over or squat down to use the microwave? 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I don't understand the new trend of putting the microwave under the bottom cabinets.

Mike Holmes talked his son into this when they were doing the son's house.
Who want't them there?  Someone who doesn't do the cooking.  And not only do you have to squat to cook, if there are children, or possibly pets, it can be dangerous.

• Love 3