Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Grace

• Start Topic

No one has put last episodes up yet.  It's been several hours so I will do it.

Loved the scenes with Smurf and J.  Those two really understand each other.  I am starting to think the sneeky gene skips a generation.

Baz is at least being proactive going after Smurf but I don't think things will go the way he thinks they will. I dont think she is stupid enough to leave her purse just where he could put a tracker and then lead him to just what he was looking for.

Craig planning a heist is fun to watch.

No Deran your brothers will never let you go.

Pope is both fascinating and scary often at the same time.

• Love 7

I loved this episode! J making the skank jealous and his line about "screwing my dumbest uncle" was hysterical! While I do think Craig is dumb as a doorknob most of the time, a few days of being clean and sober do make him seem smarter than usual.  Maybe he is something more than eye candy?

No Deran your brothers will never let you go.

Agreed!! I feel sorry for Deran because as hard as he is trying, this will not end well for him.

• Love 9

Omg, you are so right about Pope being scary. He is ruthless! I do feel bad about the guy he planted the checks on.

Does Smurf know that Pope killed Cath?

3 minutes ago, rhys said:

Last season is a bit hazy, but I'm 99% sure that she knows that Pope did it.  

That family is so messed up - Smurf invited Pope to lay  in bed with her and it was pretty evident that she was naked under the sheets.  Dang.   

• Love 4

I need to rewatch the ep as I was distracted while it was on but I need this J / Nicky stuff to stop. J is much too good for her.

Also, it was nice to see Adrian again. Hope to see more of him. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, patty1h said:

That family is so messed up - Smurf invited Pope to lay  in bed with her and it was pretty evident that she was naked under the sheets.  Dang.   

How did I forget about this!?!  That had me retching!

• Love 3

I just can't wrap my head around Nicky or why J still wants her. And she must be using three forms of birth control because it seems to me like she should've been in a WTD situation by now.

Protection racket guy is gay? That might be a game-changer. Lol at Deran selling himself for $273. I'm thinking he could get a lot more than that.

Aw, Pope, that was mean. But smart too, I guess. Now we know why he kept some of the checks. He really is next level on the criminal front.

Baz, you in danger, boy. I don't doubt for a second that Pope would kill him to protect Smurf. Bonus: with Baz out of the way, Pope would probably get Lena full-time as his daughter.

Real power is getting someone else to do your dirty work.. 

Or take a fall for a heist they had nothing to do with.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I just can't wrap my head around Nicky or why J still wants her. And she must be using three forms of birth control because it seems to me like she should've been in a WTD situation by now.

Protection racket guy is gay? That might be a game-changer. Lol at Deran selling himself for $273. I'm thinking he could get a lot more than that.

Aw, Pope, that was mean. But smart too, I guess. Now we know why he kept some of the checks. He really is next level on the criminal front.

Baz, you in danger, boy. I don't doubt for a second that Pope would kill him to protect Smurf. Bonus: with Baz out of the way, Pope would probably get Lena full-time as his daughter.

I think Smurf set it up so that Nikki potentially makes Craig and J adversaries. She's living almost like a sister would in the house with J, and that probably mirrors the original triangle with Pope, J's Mom, and Baz, IIRC, as well, and that's a situation that Smurf seems to like. I doubt that Smurf will have any problem cutting Nikki loose eventually.

I kind of though the protection racket guy would be Deran's romantic foil. Cool. We get gay sex, and it related to actual plot.

Was the woman who took Lena to Disney related to Cath? She offered to take Lena if anything happened to Baz, right?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, rhys said:

Omg, you are so right about Pope being scary. He is ruthless! I do feel bad about the guy he planted the checks on.

I feel sorry for the guy, too.  

Smurf ordered Pope to kill Cath and afterward he really lashed out against her, demanding that she pay him his full share and not parcel it out bit by bit....which is why he  had money to advance to  Deran for the bar.

The next big question mark for me is...will Pope contrive to deflect Baz away from Smurf?  He seems the most attached to her of the sons but also the one with the real motive for wanting her gone...

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Loved the scenes with Smurf and J.  Those two really understand each other.  I am starting to think the sneeky gene skips a generation.

Baz is at least being proactive going after Smurf but I don't think things will go the way he thinks they will. I dont think she is stupid enough to leave her purse just where he could put a tracker and then lead him to just what he was looking for.

Craig planning a heist is fun to watch.

Pope is both fascinating and scary often at the same time.

Craig planning the heist and running across the rich guy with no reason to be rich leads me to believe that we are heading towards the fall of one brother if they hit a target that will hit back a lot faster and harder than the possible karma of hitting a church. I may be the heretic here but I like Nikki, to bad she will fall before this is all done. Leaving the Commander's home for the drugs that comes with the Cody's and becoming the latest little sister/lover makes me want to know her backstory and how bad home should have been.

Of course Pope wouldn't be the only ex convict at a megachurch, but the way the church lady latched onto Pope stopped me from thinking it out. I only remember Shawn Hatosy from Southland but his take on Pope is one of the scarier dudes around. While not outright threatening  when you cross his protective instinct filter it would be too late because you never saw it coming.

I think Baz is going towards some serious stuff, but then Smurf just put out half a million to get rid of Javi and might just look at losing her self storage ready cash bank as the cost of business. It reminds me of The Wire when Stringer was about to become "the bank" and he would have been able to live comfortably  even without taking on new risk.

• Love 2
(edited)

Can y'all clear up something for me?  I was distracted during the convo when Baz was getting info from that black guy on the pier -- was he saying that the woman that Baz has been seeing is (possibly) a police informant?  So, besides all his other problems now Baz is nervous that she's there to get dirt on him for the church heist and/or the other jobs that the Cody's have pulled?  

And another question:  where does Baz know this guy from?  I guess I need to not multitask when AK is on!

Edited by patty1h

I think the Craig story is going to be fun watching a sober Craig plan a job.  Whether it works or not is another matter but I loved seeing Craig acting smart by not taking the joint from the other woman and then get info out of her about rich clients.  

We have seen the brothers all spend money like it grew on trees and they do like their toys and expensive hobbies.  It looks like Smurf invests it and washes it so she can afford little incesentals like paying off a hit man or whatever.  Baz is smart there is no doubt about it but he doesn't have the ability to do what is necessary like Smurf does.

The big question is does J? 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, patty1h said:

Can y'all clear up something for me?  I was distracted during the convo when Baz was getting info from that black guy on the pier -- was he saying that the woman that Baz has been seeing is (possibly) a police informant?  So, besides all his other problems now Baz is nervous that she's there to get dirt on him for the church heist and/or the other jobs that the Cody's have pulled?  

And another question:  where does Baz know this guy from?  I guess I need to not multitask when AK is on!

Lena's mom his "missing" wife that all suspect was killed was turning to the police. The guy was a PI he hired when she went missing.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, patty1h said:

No, the PI was saying that Cath was the informant.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the episode but more and more stuff they write for this show doesn't make much sense. Why would the Rent-A-Yacht have a website that discloses who has it rented, and when? That's like an invitation to a robbery right there. I can't imagine why that information would be public or why anyone would want to rent the yacht if they knew their information was going to be made public in advance of the actual rental date.

And I still don't understand why Baz keeps saying Smurf has been "stealing" from the jobs. They are the ones who take the actual money, not Smurf.  They are the ones who hand the money over to her to launder, and then she "pays" them a salary. If Baz and the other boys have not been keeping track of how much money they have stolen, and how much they should be getting from these jobs, that's on them. 

I don't know why the police didn't make a beeline towards the Cody family the minute they found out Pope was dating the church lady. The Codys have been on the cops' radar from Day 1. Look at the lengths they went to (with J) during Season 1 to nail them.

As soon as Pope showed up at that guy's construction site I said "Oh, you asshole!" And here we were just saying how Pope had become the (relatively) moral center of the family and then he goes and frames that poor guy. 

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, GenL said:

No, the PI was saying that Cath was the informant.

I am not sure she was though.  The cops in season 1 wanted her to turn on the Cody's who she had a long an complicated history with and she considered it for about half an episode but turned them down.  Smurf found out and thought she took the cops up on the offer....and convinced Pope to well....

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I really enjoyed the episode but more and more stuff they write for this show doesn't make much sense. Why would the Rent-A-Yacht have a website that discloses who has it rented, and when? That's like an invitation to a robbery right there. I can't imagine why that information would be public or why anyone would want to rent the yacht if they knew their information was going to be made public in advance of the actual rental date.

And I still don't understand why Baz keeps saying Smurf has been "stealing" from the jobs. They are the ones who take the actual money, not Smurf.  They are the ones who hand the money over to her to launder, and then she "pays" them a salary. If Baz and the other boys have not been keeping track of how much money they have stolen, and how much they should be getting from these jobs, that's on them. 

I don't know why the police didn't make a beeline towards the Cody family the minute they found out Pope was dating the church lady. The Codys have been on the cops' radar from Day 1. Look at the lengths they went to (with J) during Season 1 to nail them.

All just conjecture on my part, but:

I know that venues I have catered for are booked in advance and many of us base which gigs we'll lobby to work based upon the tipping potential involved. I worked a couple of ship parties back when I was a newbie, though, so my criteria was whether the other bartenders were hot.

I agree. But history tells us there's no honor among thieves, and every kid thinks eventually that he/she knows more than the parent. Craig and Deran were griping in season one that they weren't getting a "fair" wage. I don't know that their positions are supposed to make any real sense, just that we know what twisted thinking and experience is driving them.

The Church group, from what I can tell, is made up of a LOT of sketchy characters, so I think they were hoping that would act as a sort of smoke screen. This is why Craig's job makes so much more sense. They don't need to be tied to the job once it's done the way Pope is.

Again, I could be wrong about any and all of the above.

• Love 3

Specifically, Catherine had been friends with that cop in an unofficial capacity, which was why he was pressuring her to turn on the Codys. Catherine was not technically an informant, they were just trying to get her to be one. What the P.I. told Baz was that the cop had opened a file on her as a potential informant.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

They don't need to be tied to the job once it's done the way Pope is.

But if Craig quits right after the heist, the police are going to make him suspect #1. I'm not sure he realizes that, he's not really much of a deep thinker.

2 hours ago, Gabrielle Tracy said:

Am I some sort of freak because I think Pope would make a better dad to Lena than Baz does?

The bar for Cody family child care has been set VERY low! I think he does love her, but surely Lena deserves some stability and a home without so much danger. What if she'd been at Smurf's when Javier and the gang showed up?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Swim mom said:

Shawn Hatosy deserves an Emmy.

I agree.  I thought so a couple of episodes  back when he and Smurf discovered Jay by the pool, then Smurf gets the call from Nikki.  Hatosy's portrayal of Pope trying to comprehend what was happening and why impressed me.  Then again the next episode when he was talking to Jay about the leg wound and how killing Javi for revenge may not be quite what he expected.  

• Love 2

Am I some sort of freak because I think Pope would make a better dad to Lena than Baz does?

Anyone would be a better dad than Baz.

And when the hell is someone going to off Nikki? That girl cannot keep her mouth shut. She blabbed to Smurf about Deran's bar and she blabbed to J that Craig was planning a heist. Hell, Catherine got offed just because they thought she was talking. Nikki's gonna get 'em all thrown in jail.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

We belong to a club and in our members section there is a calendar of all events public and private.  The employees of the club have access to the website calendar also.  I assumed he was on the actual employee part of the yacht company website and could see who was having a party when.   I admit I have googled members going to the same party I was just to see who they are if I don't know them.  

• Love 3
19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I really enjoyed the episode but more and more stuff they write for this show doesn't make much sense.

The characterizations and dialogue are top-notch, but when it comes to the heists, the planning and execution mainly, that's where the writing can be quite wonky.  But that's pretty par for the course for this type of show, luckily the other aspects of the writing are so strong I'm willing to suspend some disbelief.

• Love 2

Of course you need to suspend some disbelief.  It's fiction.  As long as it's not breathtakingly overt I tend to not care.  

The heists themselves to me are not really the point.  So I don't think the writers plan them very much.  St least up until now.  Baz's church robbery made some amount of sense.  And it looks like Craig is at least thinking about his boat plan instead of just putting drugs into a hoagie. 

At its essence the show is about family.  A screwed up family.  But a family none the less.  Smurf trying to maintain an iron grip.  Baz who gets by on looks and charm but who still doesn't quite belong because he isn't related by blood.  Pope who is driven by anger guilt and his own barely controlled mental illness.  Craig right now is driven by a need to be seen as not a screw up.  I think it will be interesting to see if he will be taken seriously and if his plan is workable.  Deran is driven by a need to ironically grow up.  To get out and make a life for himself that is as legitimate as he is capable of.  I am not quite survwhaf J is driven by it he is a lot like Smurf and understands her more then her own sons do which is interesting.  O think J is the only one capable of manipulating Smurf.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Of course you need to suspend some disbelief.  It's fiction.

Thanks for the info!

4 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

As long as it's not breathtakingly overt I tend to not care.

Nor do I.

I am enjoying the parallel storylines of Deran finding his own way outside the family while J is still finding his way inside the family.

• Love 2

I think I am in the minority and I like Nikki.  She is the new generation Baz.  I think she is smarter then she looks and acts and fits in well with the family.  She is also perfect because Smurf can use her to control both Craig and J but she is useful on her own.

• Love 2

Nicki is also useful because she cannot keep a secret.  She has now told J about Craig's  plans for a heist...even if J is skeptical.  This is hardly the first time she has functioned as the community telephone. At the same time, she managed to blow her chances to get J back by deferring to Craig.  J may have been interested, but even if he still has feelings for her, he realizes she is a manipulator. Such fun that he manages to arouse her jealousy.  I wonder how he will feel when Nicki manages to get herself included in Craig's job.

Wonder too what questions the lady cop had for Pope when she came back to question him "about his brothers" after they searched the car.  Maybe that was just a throw away line, but...nearly everything that is said or done on this show comes back.  It is a very well planned show.

Someone up-thread suggested Smurf may know Baz will locate her stash...either she will have found the tracking device or she may have anticipated the move.  Maybe she even suspects that J has told him about a storage unit and where it is.  So maybe when he breaks in, which surely he is planning to do, he will find nothing there.  Or worse.  Or maybe he will succeed and find the watches she supposedly had destroyed earlier, which would be absolute proof that she is withholding $ from them. Which will then bring about a major confrontation.  I am anxious for next week!

• Love 2

As soon as Pope showed up at that guy's construction site I said "Oh, you asshole!" And here we were just saying how Pope had become the (relatively) moral center of the family and then he goes and frames that poor guy. 

Family first ;)

• Love 2

Wonder too what questions the lady cop had for Pope when she came back to question him "about his brothers" after they searched the car.  Maybe that was just a throw away line, but...nearly everything that is said or done on this show comes back.  It is a very well planned show.

I think we've already seen the consequences of that - it's what prompted Pope to plant the checks in that guy's car. I don't know what he was planning to do with them until that point but I guess he was just hanging onto them as a contingency in case they needed to throw suspicion off themselves. He knew he was in the clear but as I said, it's a wonder the cops didn't make a beeline for the Cody family as soon as they found out one of them was at that church.

The thing is, though - clearly that heist was a professional job. Look at the way the interior of the safe room was sprayed with soundproof sealant. Obviously a 2-man job too, at least. Do the cops really buy this lowly ex-con being able to pull off something that sophisticated? 

• Love 3

I'm not Nicki's biggest fan. I like her sometimes and then other times she annoys me. I kinda liked seeing her squirm when she saw that chick in the pool. You would think all the high school chicks would want to hang out with her. Her boyfriend is older, totally hot and can get everyone drugs lol

I'm really liking this slightly smarter Craig. He is observing and thinking things through. Keep it up Craig! Also, his butt looked awesome in his wetsuit (I know, I'm shallow)

• Love 5

Nikki pretty much has "collateral damage" tattooed on her forehead at this point, so while I frequently get annoyed with her and her bad life choices, I feel kind of bad for her. She's a teenaged girl who wanted some thrills(and I admit she wanted them more than I expected, sticking around after Javi) and I still don't think she realizes exactly what she's getting into here. Especially with Smurf, who she seems to think of as kind of Cool Grandma, and not an evil manipulator. I do wonder if she's picked up on the weird vibes between Smurf and the guys though. When Smurf gave Craig a rather...intimate kiss in the morning, she seemed to be giving them a weird look. Crime might be cool, but creepy incest vibes are significantly less badass.

Wow, when Craig is actually sober, he seems almost charming and competent. Who knew? Granted, he probably still isn't a super genius or anything, but his plan is significantly more well thought out than what I would have thought he could come up with. Now I'm worried that Smurf will get worried about Craig and Deran getting too independent (with Craig coming up with decent plans, and Deran wanting to go legit) and try to get Craig back on drugs and more under her control.

Speaking of, I feel really bad for Deran, and his dreams of going legit. I don't see this ending well for him. At all. Maybe his brothers would let him leave crime behind to run his bar, but would Smurf? They might not be on great terms for now, but its possible this kind of thing has happened before. The guys do their own thing, then things get hard, or Smurf pulls some creepy emotional/sexual manipulation, and they come back. Deran seemed like he already tried to go legit one, when he almost went pro in surfing, but an injury screwed that up and he ended up back with the family. Based on that, it seemed like he never really wanted to live a life of crime, its just what his family did, so its what he did. I was a bit surprised that the business owner guy was gay, and ended up hooking up with Deran. It was both funny and kind of sad that Deran just assumed the guy had sex with him as payment. Come on Deran, your worth more than $273! I'm sure you could get WAY more than that! Smurf is probably already working on a list of gay guys she needs something out of that she can throw Deran at. It was nice seeing Adrian though. He seems like an alright guy, but is still aware of what Deran does. In a happier show, Deran could run his bar and stay with Adrian, but I cant see that happening.

Damn Pope that was cold! That poor guy. It was a smart plan, but a really nasty thing to do. Also, Smurf trying to get Pope to lie in bed with her naked was just so gross. So gross. You know, Js mom doesn't sound like she was the best parent, but at least she probably never acted like she wanted to have sex with her sons over and over.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think we've already seen the consequences of that - it's what prompted Pope to plant the checks in that guy's car. I don't know what he was planning to do with them until that point but I guess he was just hanging onto them as a contingency in case they needed to throw suspicion off themselves. He knew he was in the clear but as I said, it's a wonder the cops didn't make a beeline for the Cody family as soon as they found out one of them was at that church.

The thing is, though - clearly that heist was a professional job. Look at the way the interior of the safe room was sprayed with soundproof sealant. Obviously a 2-man job too, at least. Do the cops really buy this lowly ex-con being able to pull off something that sophisticated? 

Yes, I agree the questions about the brothers prompted him to plant the checks on poor Leon.  I just wonder if they spotted Baz and J in the congregation.  I keep wondering why the writers saw fit to have J cut his leg...I thought it was for DNA but wonder now if there was another reason.

i assume the the cops will just imagine Leon is protecting the other members of his crew.

• Love 2
On 7/26/2017 at 11:40 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

az, you in danger, boy. I don't doubt for a second that Pope would kill him to protect Smurf. Bonus: with Baz out of the way, Pope would probably get Lena full-time as his daughter.

As I recall, Pope told Smurf, i don't want Baz to get arrested.

• Love 1

I'm really liking this slightly smarter Craig. 

The bar is set so low, LOL! But it's interesting to note that Craig basically has the same skill set as all the other Codys. Apparently he's still "with it" enough to realize how badly he screwed up during the church heist and is trying to turn things around. I think mostly he's just trying to get back into Deran's good graces. Deran offered to repay him the money he loaned him for the bar but he wouldn't take it. I don't think he really cares about sobering up or proving himself to anyone, I think he mostly just wants Deran to forgive him. The yacht job was Deran's idea.

Speaking of Deran, I can't figure out whether or not he had an ulterior motive in taking his surfboard to Adrian's shop. It didn't seem like he did, and I don't necessarily think the writers meant for him to, but . . . there's got to be a shit-ton of surf shops in San Diego he could have gone to, and he knows damn well what Adrian thinks about him at this point. Maybe he was encouraged by Adrian being kinda-sorta nice to him when he came to the bar. Hmmm . . . 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

there's got to be a shit-ton of surf shops in San Diego he could have gone to, and he knows damn well what Adrian thinks about him at this point.

Deran is still into Adrian, like you said, D could've gone anywhere to get his surfboard fixed.  Adrian is his long game, the chamber of commerce guy is just some fun.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Deran is still into Adrian, like you said, D could've gone anywhere to get his surfboard fixed.  Adrian is his long game, the chamber of commerce guy is just some fun.

I worry about Adrian.  I don't think it ends well for him....I don't know why.  Part of me wants them to run off to Costa Rica together....

• Love 1
7 hours ago, SingleMaltBlonde said:

I worry about Adrian.  I don't think it ends well for him....I don't know why.  Part of me wants them to run off to Costa Rica together....

I also have a strange feeling something will happen to him. They are rebuilding his relationship with Deran but as much as I want to see them being normal, this type of show is all about heartache. 

• Love 3
On 7/26/2017 at 3:14 PM, Swim mom said:

Shawn Hatosy deserves an Emmy.

AGREE !!!!   He has scared the daylights out of me since day 1 on this show.   It's not just what he says, or how, it's his use of his whole physical being to portray his horrific menacing nature.  I don't know how he does this, but when the camera shoots a closeup,  his eyes appear to be soulless.  His subtle approach only magnifies the effect. The Emmy should SO go to Hatosy !!!

• Love 3
On 7/28/2017 at 2:14 PM, sugarbaker design said:

This is how I also see it. I think he's in love with Adrian. Deran knows he is still a work in progress, especially in going totally legit with the bar but now that he's not in the closet, that paves some of the road back to Adrian. And I think Adrian wanting to catch up over drinks instead of Deran paying him for the surfboard fix is his way of testing the waters with Deran again. Even though Adrian wanted the break from Deran, I never thought it wasn't because he didn't love Deran. 

• Love 4
On 7/26/2017 at 8:51 PM, Sam215 said:

We belong to a club and in our members section there is a calendar of all events public and private.  The employees of the club have access to the website calendar also.  I assumed he was on the actual employee part of the yacht company website and could see who was having a party when.   I admit I have googled members going to the same party I was just to see who they are if I don't know them.  

or he could be pulling up wedding reception/engagement party/etc announcements that people have posted to facebook/the web/etc.

• Love 1
On 7/26/2017 at 10:16 AM, patty1h said:

That family is so messed up - Smurf invited Pope to lay  in bed with her and it was pretty evident that she was naked under the sheets.  Dang

This. And then the way she gave Craig a lingering goodbye kiss on the lips? *shudder*

I'm guessing that's why they're still in the same family unit, such as it is.  We all make fun of the guy in mom's basement, but these are all fully grown adults, and yet Mom is still making them sandwiches for lunch.  And murdering someone who might be a threat to them.

• Love 1