Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Denver Qualifiers

• Start Topic

(edited)

It was difficult for me to get into this episode. Only a handful of people stood out to me.

I laughed my ass off when Brian Arnold was telling how he proposed. "There were ducks falling to their death." Dear God. That's hilarious.

I'm really surprised he fell, tho. I don't remember him falling during a qualifying course in the previous seasons I watched.

David Yager was amazing! He wasn't even fazed by that fifth obstacle.

Did I cackle when Corndog Ninja went splat against the mat? I sure did.

Grant McCartney wearing a Meagan Martin shirt was cute. Meagan did a great job, she almost made it. She's always such a sweetie in the interviews, so cheery sounding.

Edited by slf
  • Love 4

Alot of surprising falls.   

I am glad Meagan did well.  She is one of my favorites. 

My favorite run of the night though was Andrew the guy with the mother who seemed to have drank way too much caffeine.   Sometimes the best part for me is watching the family members of the ninjas....and she was awesome,  

Also of note three women made it into the top thirty which is great.  

• Love 2
(edited)

That Rail Runner thingie was brutal.

I'm not usually one for background stories, but I will admit to chopping a few onions during the package about the Stangers. I've no idea what effected the change in Mrs. Stanger's condition, but what a joy to see her up and about. I seem to remember that both daughters have been diagnosed with the same syndrome, so being able to deal with the condition will be a relief to the family.

Meghan always makes me smile.

ETA: The bush pilot was enjoyable. Love his bromance with Nick Hansen.

Edited by gemmalogical
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, gemmalogical said:

I'm not usually one for background stories, but I will admit to chopping a few onions during the package about the Stangers. I've no idea what effected the change in Mrs. Stanger's condition, but what a joy to see her up and about. I seem to remember that both daughters have been diagnosed with the same syndrome, so being able to deal with the condition will be a relief to the family.

I don't want to sound unkind, but I got a bit of a hinky feeling with the story about Mrs. Stanger.  I DO believe in miracles, but this seemed to be an awful fast improvement from "she probably won't live" to her jumping up and down on the sidelines.

And a Google search tells what they credit for her cure:  They moved from Utah to Colorado so she could use medical marijuana.  They have now become activists for that cause.

Forgive me if I'm wrong to doubt the story . . . I'd love to be wrong.

ETA - There was also a "gofundme" to help them with their moving expenses from Utah to Colorado.  Again - my personal experience and skepticism - it sometimes feels like an awful lot of reality folks and/or scammers have changed the concept of that site to "goconyou."  

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 7
28 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I don't want to sound unkind, but I got a bit of a hinky feeling with the story about Mrs. Stanger.  I DO believe in miracles, but this seemed to be an awful fast improvement from "she probably won't live" to her jumping up and down on the sidelines.

And a Google search tells what they credit for her cure:  They moved from Utah to Colorado so she could use medical marijuana.  They have now become activists for that cause.

Sadly I agree. There is something about the story that just doesn't feel right. That working out and a change in diet can cure you of a medical problem like that. Maybe I just hear to much about people pulling scams that I have a hard time believing the people that do get miracles. 

• Love 4

I was bugged all episode by the super short landing spot after the ring swing.  Way too many people tripping over (and in one case, landing on) the springboard for the next obstacle.  Seemed both odd and potentially dangerous.  Also, the run up to the warped wall seemed shorter than usual, but I think it might have just been the different set up.  Going straight from landing to the run up looked weird.

I was disappointed for Meagan Martin, she was doing so, so well.  But she seemed happy to make it to city finals and hopefully she'll kill it.  She was so close... 

I had assumed from editing that either she or Jake Murray weren't going to hit the buzzer, with them giving the POM Wonderful Run of the Night with both of them left to go.  I did not expect Jake to go out so soon in the run, though.  Crazy.  But speed was bound to get somebody eventually.  I don't really have an opinion on his antics one way or the other, but how cute were those kids dressed up like him, corndogs and all?  Hee.

From the ep description (which is the same as my dvr had), anybody know what the "Ninjago Roll" was supposed to be?

I thought the rail runner was going to be the impossible ninja killer until the rookie beat it. I'm still not sure how the physics works with metal going up metal on an incline.

This year is really feeling like a changing of the guard compared to previous years. A lot of rookies that grew up with the show are making it to the buzzer, while the veterans are wiping out early (Arnold) or getting the While We Were Away treatment (Kaufman).

I'm really beginning to hate the partial run outcomes they sometimes show just before commercial breaks even more than the WWWA run recaps just after commercials. I use to skip from the end of a run through the ridiculously awkward and awful post-run interviews all the way through to the end of the commercials. Since I use a 30 second skip instead of an actual fast forward, I now sometimes miss those brief run mentions. Pre-WWWA doesn't quite fit as a term. Any suggestions?

I also rolled my eyes at the Stanger sob story. While I feel/felt for them and her plight, I'm afraid of the message that says healthy eating alone can cure or ease a medical disease. This is especially true since it sounds like medical marijuana and other alternatives may have been involved besides a healthy diet. If that's what worked for her, great; I'm glad it did. But I'm afraid someone might use those in place of sound, proven medical practices as a first line of attack, and end up dieing when it doesn't work. It just smacks of anti-vaxxer BS to me.

While I don't know what the "Ninjago Roll" is specifically, I suspect it's tied in with the Lego Ninjago Movie that had an advertisement during the show. (See, I do catch some commercials.) A google search says that it's a spin-off to the Lego Movie and a Lego toy line. The roll is probably a music video.

• Love 4

Thanks, Richness.  Maybe they were going to name an obstacle after the movie as a tie in but things got changed after the description was released.  I completely missed the commercial for the movie during the show.

• Love 1

I didn't have a problem with the Stanger story and I didn't even consider a con and still don't.  There are others that have used exercise as a way combat diseases and if that works for them great.  It had nothing to do with the vaxxer bs because these people aren't denying a form of treatment as legitimate they are looking elsewhere of other legitimate alternatives as well.  I am all for medical marijuana.  If it works why not allow the sick to use it?  Why deny it to them?  To me it's the same screwed up logic the vaxxers use.  If exercise works then awesome.  Really awesome. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

ETA - There was also a "gofundme" to help them with their moving expenses from Utah to Colorado.  Again - my personal experience and skepticism - it sometimes feels like an awful lot of reality folks and/or scammers have changed the concept of that site to "goconyou."  

They also left out her arrest for child endangerment.

http://www.standard.net/Courts/2015/12/29/Utah-mother-medical-refugee-booked-into-jail

I think it should be noted that Mrs. Stanger has Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (wikipedia link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehlers–Danlos_syndrome ), which has no known cure. Handling the pain that may accompany some types of the disease is an issue, however.

I would not be surprised if Mrs. Stanger is not "cured" but rather is using medical marijuana and a healthy lifestyle to manage her symptoms, especially pain, much as cancer patients do. The distinction may have gotten lost in the coverage.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, simplyme said:

I think it should be noted that Mrs. Stanger has Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (wikipedia link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehlers–Danlos_syndrome ), which has no known cure. Handling the pain that may accompany some types of the disease is an issue, however.

I would not be surprised if Mrs. Stanger is not "cured" but rather is using medical marijuana and a healthy lifestyle to manage her symptoms, especially pain, much as cancer patients do. The distinction may have gotten lost in the coverage.

From that same article:

"There is no known cure.  Treatment is supportive in nature.  Physical therapy and bracing may help strengthen muscles and support joints."

I am a person who believes that people in pain are entitled to use whatever they want to ease the pain.  I hate what opiates do to the human body.  Medical marijuana is okay with me when used under medical supervision.  But I just don't see how all the marijuana, healthy food, physical therapy and bracing are going to make someone well enough to do what she was seen doing this week if she has a disease that has destroyed joints and connective tissues.    

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

From that same article:

"There is no known cure.  Treatment is supportive in nature.  Physical therapy and bracing may help strengthen muscles and support joints."

I am a person who believes that people in pain are entitled to use whatever they want to ease the pain.  I hate what opiates do to the human body.  Medical marijuana is okay with me when used under medical supervision.  But I just don't see how all the marijuana, healthy food, physical therapy and bracing are going to make someone well enough to do what she was seen doing this week if she has a disease that has destroyed joints and connective tissues.    

Destroyed may be overstating things. According to this article on NCBI: "Ehlers-Danlos syndrome is a heterogeneous connective tissue condition characterized by varying degrees of skin hyperextensibility, joint hypermobility, and vascular fragility. Joint dislocations, musculoskeletal pain, atrophic scars, easy bleeding, vessel/viscera rupture, severe scoliosis, and obstetric complications may occur." "The goal of rehabilitation is to enhance musculotendinous strength, neuromuscular coordination, and joint proprioception to maximize function, minimize symptoms, and improve joint stability."

Physical therapy is recommended for people suffering from this syndrome and it can drastically improve your condition. If she was careful to not overdue it while staying committed to rehab there's little reason she couldn't improve as she has. Especially when using weed- the benefits weed provides in terms of pain management cannot be overstated. For many people who have to do physical therapy, pain can be the primary reason they stop doing rehab and not only not improve but actually get worse. 

People who've discovered for themselves, firsthand, exactly why there is such a large movement in support of weed for medical uses (and personal consumption) often become advocates themselves, with cancer patients being the largest demographic in my experience. Nothing about the Stangers' story struck me as odd or manipulative.

• Love 1

"Jake Murray! He's fast! He's bold! He's unpredictable!!" ". .  . a corn dog?!?" "What's he gonna do tonight???" He's gonna hit the damn water, that's what he's gonna do. I like him, even with his antics, so watching him go out that early and probably out of a trip to Vegas was a bit stunning. Between this and Party Time (captained by Brian Arnold) being unable to defend their Team Ninja Warrior title, I don't think 2017 has been that great for Jake.

Shit, why does reality have to veer into the Stangers' story? Two years ago, I was convinced that Mrs. Stanger (can't remember her name) wasn't going to see her husband run the course again. Last year, I remember that the daughters had signs of the same disease (or indicators . . . my memory is hazy). I'm okay with them. If the only way she can get better involves rolling up to a dumpster full of marijuana and dumping her out of her chair, I'm okay with it.

New rule: Sponsored "Run Of The Night" "award" is announced at the end of the episode. The "winner" gets a small trophy, a cardboard check, and doused with pomegranate juice. Seeing Jake Murray and Meagan Martin run after Lorrin Ball "won" kinda ruined the suspense. Jake: "Something bad is gonna happen. Get the side-by-side times outta here!" Meagan: "She doesn't finish. If she did finish, she would 'win,' and Matt & Akbar would have to be hosed out of their seats. That would have made the news."

Holy spit, Sam Sann came to play. And months after back surgery! Also, he now has bragging rights as the official Elder Ninja, as Jon Stewart wiped out early.

• Love 1

Sam Sanh and Meagan Martin might have finished the last obstacle if they did what the oldest finisher did. He was identified  as a concrete worker and they showed part of his run.  After grabbing the stationary handlebars, he moved only halfway down the beam and then stopped.  He didn't slide backwards  but remained in the same  spot as he began his dismount.  He began to swing back and forth and then leaped for the landing area.  He made it safely and then went up the wall and hit the buzzer.

Sam Sanh and Meagan Martin both  tried to make it all the way to the end of the beam.

Jake Murray will probably get a wild card.

19 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I was very distracted by the incredible botoxed face of Enthusiastic Mom. Also the giant family of Mormon siblings was on my last nerve from the get-go.

Same! Glad the son made it through, he was fantastic! But, it looked to me like Mom has an untreated hyperactivity issue....she was practically tweaking after his run, during the interview. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, StanleyGoodspeed said:

Same! Glad the son made it through, he was fantastic! But, it looked to me like Mom has an untreated hyperactivity issue....she was practically tweaking after his run, during the interview. 

My wife commented that the son is one long-suffering kid: he showed extraordinary patience with his mother.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, StanleyGoodspeed said:

I have ADHD and I wondered if that is what I look like to people when I get excited.

52 minutes ago, Morgan of Hed said:

My wife commented that the son is one long-suffering kid: he showed extraordinary patience with his mother.

Less long suffering more use to.  ADHD runs in my family.  I have it and so does my dad.  When my father gets excited my mom tells him to take a breath.  Sometimes you just have to deal.  Plus she was cute.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

IIRC, only 8 people hit the buzzer, but we only got to see 4 of them do it. When so few finish, it would have been nice if they could have shown the majority, if not all of the finishers.

• Love 9
59 minutes ago, EVS said:

IIRC, only 8 people hit the buzzer, but we only got to see 4 of them do it. When so few finish, it would have been nice if they could have shown the majority, if not all of the finishers.

This. There's no reason to continually show sad-sack stories of people who can't make it through the second obstacle and not show the 8 complete runs there were. 15 or more finishers? Sure, you can't show everyone maybe and still get in the backstories. But 8? No excuse.

Also, if I never see the Souter 7 again (or whatever their last name was), it will be too soon.

• Love 4

I am usually the unpopular opinion when it comes to the backstories.  I like them more often then I don't.  Especially for those who do well or better then expected.  The Souter 7 did horribly.  Yes it was nice to see a bunch of siblings compete but when only one does reasonably well.....at least time wasnt waisted on all seven runs.

• Love 2

I'm glad that Mrs. Stranger is getting healthy and out of the wheelchair, but I already see next year's producer invoked shenanigans. 

"Two years ago she was on the brink of death, but tonight she runs the course, give it up for Wheelchair ninja"

I wish her all the best, and wish she would just concentrate on her recovery and her children.  But I know the lure of money and some exposure is hard to resist. And that's all on American Ninja Warrior and their profit making machine.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, StanleyGoodspeed said:

I suspected they concocted the whole hyper mom story and inflated something fairly normal just to give a super talented kid a story.  And I don't think the mom had botox, I think she had more major work.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  But I found her face a little creepy.  

I'm all for medical marijuana and found that story inspiring.  What I felt was silly was the footage they showed to represent their new healthy eating and it was Michael dumping a powder into a shaker cup.  I have no problem with protein powder or whatever supplement you like but I don't think it's really the best example of life-changing health food.  I mean, it's ultra processed.   I would hate to see unwell people stretching their budgets to include a lot of powdered supplements when plain old produce, whole grains and healthy protein in food is going to do as much good if not more.

I was bummed to see Jake Murray and Brian Arnold fail.  I'm often afraid that speed is going to cause a stupid, year-ending mistake.  Poor Arnold with that nose smash.  That didn't look like it was designed well.  Others after him had to look aside while they grabbed the other bars.  Someone else had a bleeding head at the end, I forget who.  

I generally really like Matt and Akbar and am not bothered by Akbar's repetitive comments.  But this ep he said the super tramp was difficult even for great ninjas so many times.  It seemed like in the first half they said it every single time a ninja made it that far.  

Edited by Guest

Bouncing Spider looks like a deadly Stage One obstacle. You have to jump, grip the walls, "walk" several feet, and then bounce off another trampoline to grab a heavy bag or two. Not nearly as sadistic as Rail Runner, but I think it should have been present in all qualifiers.

On 19/07/2017 at 4:03 PM, StanleyGoodspeed said:

I think she's just starved for attention and it was all just a shtick. I felt really sorry for the kid.

• Love 3
On 7/19/2017 at 11:20 AM, EVS said:

Was just coming here to post the exact same thing! They even mentioned that one of the runs was "one their best of the night." Yet we didn't even get to see it!!! Malarkey!

Wasn't one of the WWWA finishers an older dude?  I would've loved to see his run.  I guess the geezer quota was taken up by Sam Sann and Stuart. I'm glad we saw them, of course - they're both legends, and Sann is a beast. But the finisher deserved to be seen. Actually, as someone upthread said, with so few finishers, we should have seen all of them. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, derriere said:

I think she's just starved for attention and it was all just a shtick. I felt really sorry for the kid.

Me too.  I told my mom that she was one of those parents who absolutely LIVED for her kid and his accomplishments.  Not only that, but she seemed like an attention seeker.  You can be thrilled for your child but when the attention and the cameras focus in you and not them, during their moment in the spotlight, there is an issue.

Tough course.  That rail runner was a monster.  Kudos to anyone who made it past that one.  I kept thinking if they could get a decent lache they shouldn't try and make it up the last "hill".  I think only one guy did that.

Disappointed that is the last if Jake.  I like him.  He makes me smile.  He got a terrible bounce on the Supertramp.  Reminded me of the bounce Kacy got a few seasons ago on the final course, knees just buckled.

Please correct me if I am wrong.  Medical MJ doesn't treat anything, right?  It just manages pain, increases appetite.  So, it helps to give the patient a way to strengthen themselves because they now have less pain and more energy because they are fueling more?  If so, why hadn't her doctors in Utah tried medication (not MJ, that's not legal there) to give her less pain and more pep?  I dunno, just a question I had.  MJ seems to have worked a miracle on her.

I like Megan Martin, I do.  I find her sweet and adorable.  I am a bit concerned she may be Hollywoodizing herself.  I hope she stays humble and real. 

LA finals next week?  I can't wait to see what the sadists have in store for the back half of the course.

• Love 1

I remember the questions about Mrs Stanger's EDS when he competed the first time -- that they were making it sound worse than it actually is (it's very rarely fatal, despite what they said).  In two years, the collegen in her bones is nearly 100% better?  I don't buy it.  

The Rail-Runner was definitely the Ninja killer of the season.  From most to least finishers:

LA had 22 finishers, 3 fail on the Warped Wall, and 5 on the Battering Ram

Daytona Beach: 18 finishers, the other top 12 failed on Rolling Thunder

San Antonio: 16 finishers, the other top 14 failed on the Pipefitter

Cleveland: 14 finishers, 1 idiot failed on the Warped Wall because he had to have light-up shoes, the other 15 failed on the I-Beam Gap

Kansas City: 10 finishers, 2 failed on the Warped, 13 on the Bar Hop and 5 on Crank It Up

Denver: Only 8 finishers, and all of the other top 22 failed on the Rail-Runner

• Love 2

So, with so few making it through the first round on this course, what are the odds of having many going on to the back half in the city finals?  It's going to be a pretty boring city finals if hardly anyone makes it past the first 4 obstacles.

They do adjust the course between the qualifiers and finals; often it is to make a trivial challenge a bit more difficult. In this case, I could see them tweeking the Rail-runner, maybe lowering the far end of the first half a bit, so the incline up isn't as steep. They probably won't announce that though. (If they make an element more challenging they usually highlight it, but I doubt they announce when they make it easier) 

If anyone still has it taped, watch Meagan's face when "ER Doc Noah" bombs.  It's AMAZING!!!

I remember the questions about Mrs Stanger's EDS when he competed the first time -- that they were making it sound worse than it actually is (it's very rarely fatal, despite what they said).  In two years, the collegen in her bones is nearly 100% better?  I don't buy it

I recall this, too.  I remember the hefty dose of skepticism by my fellow posters (and I love all of you for it).  Seems a wee bit fishy.  

Corn Dog Kersplat!? Loved it.  

There is always that sweet spot between making a course challenging and insanely difficult.  It's no fun (for anyone really if it's THAT) east.  Most years NBC and whoever does an ok job.  I think this year was the first year the needle has gone a little too close to insanely difficult.  

I am watching repeats of the 2015 qualifiers and it's shocking how much harder it's gotten, just in the last couple of years. I get that the ninjas are getting better as a whole, so they have to make the course harder, but there has just been a massive leap in difficulty that is really obvious when you watch those reruns, LOL.