Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Js Club: Jana, Jason, James, Jackson & Johannah

Message added by Scarlett45,

Discussing the charges against Jana is fine, but do not post any information that reveals her address/contact information- even if said documents are public (i.e. a part of court proceedings.)

Discussing charges against Jana is NOT a jumping off point to speculate on other instances abuse/neglect etc towards the M-children or to elaborate on Josh's conviction and potential victims.  

• Start Topic

I think Boob is very competitive with his boys - with all males really - and in just about any situation. As long as he keeps winning, he's OK, but I don't think it's a good day for the boys if they ever beat Daddy in any particular contest. I think Josiah must have creamed Boob once at something, because it seems like he's been in JB's doghouse for a LONG time. When it comes to the girls, Boob is partial to the ones who best display the kind of Gothardesque demeanor that only good [fundie] Christian women have. Meek. humble, quiet, respectful, totally enthusiastic-for and obedient-to whatever Hubby wants, attractive if not outright beautiful, domestically-skilled and very fertile. My Dad always said the first kid is like the first pancake on the griddle. Basically OK but more often than not lopsided, and a little squirrelly around the edges. With Jana being the oldest girl, there was no one to show her "how Daddy wants us to be," because we certainly know Me-chelle was well into the baby-a-year plan by the time Jana was a toddler. So Jana, as any very young child would, acted on her own natural instincts and impulses. And we know those wouldn't have lined up with the Gothard/Boob way. At all. Jill, Jessa, Jinger made out much better because they had the benefit of Jana's experience. Bottom line, IMO Jana was probably a little too much of an independent little spirit for Boob - and yes, too "normal" for him. And I think it affects their relationship to this day. For as long as I've been watching, Boob seems ill-at-ease and guarded around Jana, even as he manages to wear that Howdy Duggar smile of his.

I don't disagree with any of this except these are words I would never ever use to use to describe Jessa. Depending on Jessa`s personality of the day I still would never describe her as meek, humble, obedient

etc. I think Jessa is one of Jim Bob's least favorite girls except for 2 things. She reminds him of her mother and he is slightly afraid of the damage Jessa could wreak if she was let loose.

Edited by flyingdi
  • Love 1

I think Boob is very competitive with his boys - with all males really - and in just about any situation. As long as he keeps winning, he's OK, but I don't think it's a good day for the boys if they ever beat Daddy in any particular contest. I think Josiah must have creamed Boob once at something, because it seems like he's been in JB's doghouse for a LONG time. When it comes to the girls, Boob is partial to the ones who best display the kind of Gothardesque demeanor that only good [fundie] Christian women have. Meek. humble, quiet, respectful, totally enthusiastic-for and obedient-to whatever Hubby wants, attractive if not outright beautiful, domestically-skilled and very fertile. My Dad always said the first kid is like the first pancake on the griddle. Basically OK but more often than not lopsided, and a little squirrelly around the edges. With Jana being the oldest girl, there was no one to show her "how Daddy wants us to be," because we certainly know Me-chelle was well into the baby-a-year plan by the time Jana was a toddler. So Jana, as any very young child would, acted on her own natural instincts and impulses. And we know those wouldn't have lined up with the Gothard/Boob way. At all. Jill, Jessa, Jinger made out much better because they had the benefit of Jana's experience. Bottom line, IMO Jana was probably a little too much of an independent little spirit for Boob - and yes, too "normal" for him. And I think it affects their relationship to this day. For as long as I've been watching, Boob seems ill-at-ease and guarded around Jana, even as he manages to wear that Howdy Duggar smile of his.

This post made me think about things I'd rather not think about.Very thoughtful post, Wellfleet. Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 2

I really don't think that Jim Bob gets that physical with the girls in terms of punishment. The boys, maybe, because hey boys are tough. The children seem to just be so much more at ease around their father than Michelle. In the painting the girl's room episode it was Jana who grabbed his arm to force him to paint over the horse. I can't imagine any of the kids grabbing Michelle for any reason.

Jana could have been abused by someone other than Josh.

I can't speculate about whether Gothard or anyone else might have abused Jana, but I do think that the  sexual abuse going on in her home could have affected her even if she wasn't the victim. She knew about it. She saw her sisters coping with it. She saw her parents beat Josh to try to get it to stop. She experienced the increasingly paranoid rules in the house trying to prevent it from recurring. She could even feel guilty and confused about why her sisters were victims and she wasn't. There are so many ways the entire experience could have affected her without ever having been touched herself. 

And that doesn't even take into account the incredible psychological affect of just having to grow up as the oldest female Duggar. That would mess anyone up.

Edited - just saw the moderator's post. I'm not sure if this is ok. Please remove if it isn't.

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 11

It seems odd to me that we're seriously having a conversation about whether [what amounts to a motherless young woman in her mid-twenties who has raised eighteen children in a house run by monstrous delusional narcissists without a moment of personal privacy before the camera crews came in and they became a carny road show. And that's leaving aside that her parents were national advocates for draconic physical 'correction' before child welfare got involved in their lives] has been abused. 

Of course she's been abused. They all have. Their father is a politically-connected millionaire with what amounts to endless resources, between the show and his political work, and they're sitting around a dirty house without GEDs eating garbage. If they lived the same lives in an orphanage and the conditions of their lives came out in the national press, the people running the orphanage would be under criminal investigation by the authorities, JMO. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 23

It seems odd to me that we're seriously having a conversation about whether [what amounts to a motherless young woman in her mid-twenties who has raised eighteen children in a house run by monstrous delusional narcissists without a moment of personal privacy before the camera crews came in and they became a carny road show. And that's leaving aside that her parents were national advocates for draconic physical 'correction' before child welfare got involved in their lives] has been abused. 

Of course she's been abused. They all have. Their father is a politically-connected millionaire with what amounts to endless resources, between the show and his political work, and they're sitting around a dirty house without GEDs eating garbage. If they lived the same lives in an orphanage and the conditions of their lives came out in the national press, the people running the orphanage would be under criminal investigation by the authorities, JMO. 

This month's cover story for Duh! magazine.  Good grief, not to mention GREAT point. You're so right, Julia. If this was getting noticed anywhere else, involving people who HADN'T been on television, heads would be rolling as we speak.

• Love 4

This month's cover story for Duh! magazine.  Good grief, not to mention GREAT point. You're so right, Julia. If this was getting noticed anywhere else, involving people who HADN'T been on television, heads would be rolling as we speak.

As much as I wish this was true, I don't think they would be in trouble at all. All you have to do is look at the Naulger family to see that CPS is not capable of handling a large family when the kids needs to be moved to another environment.

• Love 1

As much as I wish this was true, I don't think they would be in trouble at all. All you have to do is look at the Naulger family to see that CPS is not capable of handling a large family when the kids needs to be moved to another environment.

I bet you're right about that. And I guess the bottom line is that CPS will just have to "get good at it" and quickly. It shouldn't be basically OK for two nimrods to get away with being crappy parents because they were super-fertile and decided to have their very own litter of kids. 

• Love 5

I bet you're right about that. And I guess the bottom line is that CPS will just have to "get good at it" and quickly. It shouldn't be basically OK for two nimrods to get away with being crappy parents because they were super-fertile and decided to have their very own litter of kids. 

I couldn't agree more. I know CPS has a difficult job but any lingering good will I had about CPS doing the right thing vanished when they returned the Naugler kids. If you aren't familiar with them check it out. The family of 10 children was living in a lean-to, and that's a generous description. There were pictures of the family, posted by the mother, laying outside on the dirt seriously ill after eating rotten food they found laying around in their "house" (no refrigeration or ability to cook). Pictures proudly displaying a third degree burn on her 8 year old son's hand saying how great it was that he tried to start the fire to keep them warm. It went on an on. Not to mention the oldest child who had a different mother. He was taken away from his dad before he had the huge family with someone else because his father was sexual abusing him. But apparently he's ok to have custody of his other 10 kids. Last I heard the father was awaiting trial on charges of menacing his neighbor and stealing water from her. So even Josh's abuse would likely not have done much to get CPS to remove the kids and unless you remove them nothing will really change. 

• Love 1

I couldn't agree more. I know CPS has a difficult job but any lingering good will I had about CPS doing the right thing vanished when they returned the Naugler kids. If you aren't familiar with them check it out. The family of 10 children was living in a lean-to, and that's a generous description. There were pictures of the family, posted by the mother, laying outside on the dirt seriously ill after eating rotten food they found laying around in their "house" (no refrigeration or ability to cook). Pictures proudly displaying a third degree burn on her 8 year old son's hand saying how great it was that he tried to start the fire to keep them warm. It went on an on. Not to mention the oldest child who had a different mother. He was taken away from his dad before he had the huge family with someone else because his father was sexual abusing him. But apparently he's ok to have custody of his other 10 kids. Last I heard the father was awaiting trial on charges of menacing his neighbor and stealing water from her. So even Josh's abuse would likely not have done much to get CPS to remove the kids and unless you remove them nothing will really change. 

Responding in Small Talk.

Sorry to keep yammering on about Kid Farm, but they are wickedly spot-on in so many ways. All their kids' names begin with B, and they're all reasonable, for the most part, but they have a couple of "regular" names they just stuck a B in front of (B-olivia and B-elizabeth). Kind of like...Jinger. She could've been Jean, Joan, Janet, Jasmine, Jane, Jacinda, Jacqueline...the list goes on. That poor girl. And since she's higher up in the birth order, it's not like they'd run out of J-names. They CHOSE "Jinger." I really wonder how she feels about it.

• Love 4

Sorry to keep yammering on about Kid Farm, but they are wickedly spot-on in so many ways. All their kids' names begin with B, and they're all reasonable, for the most part, but they have a couple of "regular" names they just stuck a B in front of (B-olivia and B-elizabeth). Kind of like...Jinger. She could've been Jean, Joan, Janet, Jasmine, Jane, Jacinda, Jacqueline...the list goes on. That poor girl. And since she's higher up in the birth order, it's not like they'd run out of J-names. They CHOSE "Jinger." I really wonder how she feels about it.

Jeanette, Jeanine, Julia, Judith, Jodie, Julissa, Jolene, Jamie, Jaycee, Jeri, June, Jemma, Jocelyn... I really do wonder what the hell they were thinking.

• Love 4

Jeanette, Jeanine, Julia, Judith, Jodie, Julissa, Jolene, Jamie, Jaycee, Jeri, June, Jemma, Jocelyn... I really do wonder what the hell they were thinking.

Pass. Let Jane or Janet or Jasmine or Jumenta Bob take the hit.

• Love 1

J was really a poor choice for names. John, Jana and Johannah are essentially the same name, and Joy-Anna is a portmanteau'd version of two names into Johannah, and that's just off the top of my head.

Same/similar names happens in cults all the time. Individuality is not a goal, at all.

• Love 3

Same/similar names happens in cults all the time. Individuality is not a goal, at all.

Yeah, but, Judith? Well-known biblical wife? Worth above rubies?

Just, it reminds me of the test where you're asked to name as many animals as you can which start with a certain letter. I just picture Jim Bob and Michelle's list being "elephant, baby elephant, big elephant, white elephant, girl elephant..."

• Love 8

Well, I was skipping variants of names the family had already or has subsequently used, like Janice, Jillian, Jessica, Joyce, Jo Ann, Jenna, Jordanna, or Josephine -- although I don't know why, it's not like that's ever stopped the Duggars. Off the top of my head, I don't have much more. Jade, Jewel, Jolie, Justine, Juanita, Jessenia? But I think the point's been well and truly made here: They weren't in a bind, with few J names to choose from. They just chose Jinger. (And wouldn't you think maybe Jinjer would make more sense? At least people would know how to pronounce it.)

• Love 3

(And wouldn't you think maybe Jinjer would make more sense? At least people would know how to pronounce it.)

While I was writing my initial post, Mr. Tudor said the exact same thing. And then thanked me for getting him involved in anything Dugger, lol!
  • Love 1

Well looky here..it's an article about Jinger potential courting Lawson Bates. The article even says 'fans noticed they were together at Amy's wedding'. Guess it is true that these rags get all of their info from this board LOL

http://okmagazine.com/photos/jinger-duggar-courting-lawson-bates-amy-wedding-date-19-kids-counting/photo/1001318620/

I just have to say that in picture # 5 in that article, you can really tell she has inherited her mommy's crazy eyes.  Poor girl. 

Her eye makeup really accentuates the eye bulging. She could use 7 or 8 fewer coats of mascara.

I think she just has the weird family habit of opening her eyes way too much to make them look bigger. Either way, when her face is a little rounder they aren't quite as prominent.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

They probably sent him back to ALERT to butch him up again. Oil change every 3,000 miles type of thing.

Sadly, your probably right. 

Lawson is the internet's new Jana being linked to whomever is standing next to him.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1

Let's start a rumor that the standing-next-to-Lawson-B thing was all a ploy to divert us from the real story -- that Jinger's courting the guy in the fishing hat.

Hey, I bet that guy is a real catch!

I'll show myself out. 

Hey, I bet that guy is a real catch!

I'll show myself out. 

Ba-Dum-BUM-Tssssssss !!!  She's here 'til Thursday, folks ! Try the veal ! And don't forget to tip your servers !

Seriously, though, It's sad and pathetic, even, that I (we ?) get all jazzed at the prospect of a TOTAL STRANGER being able to possibly leave home and have a normal life, but also get the collective sads when that prospect turns out to be improbable or impossible. The possibility of Jinger and Lawson Bates courting, even if he is kind of dreamy (TM Marcia Brady) just let all of the air out of my Hope Balloon...

• Love 4

Well looky here..it's an article about Jinger potential courting Lawson Bates. The article even says 'fans noticed they were together at Amy's wedding'. Guess it is true that these rags get all of their info from this board LOL

http://okmagazine.com/photos/jinger-duggar-courting-lawson-bates-amy-wedding-date-19-kids-counting/photo/1001318620/

If they are, I'm sure the "official" announcement will be made right around Jessa's due date, because these people always have to upstage each other.  

• Love 5

Personally, I'm not buying the Lawson/Jinger speculation, but if it is true -- poor Jana! Another younger sister marrying before her is just going to ramp up the "What's wrong with Jana?!" chatter, which I suspect she is aware of and finds grating judging from her reaction to the stylist questioning her single status. 

Edited by Guest