Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E14: A Slippery Slope

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, sasha206 said:

I'm being way too bitchy on this so my apologies.

Aw, it's okay sasha206, but maybe when things get a little heated on the forums, we should all start typing out 'CLIP, CLIP' just for shits and giggles!  That's one way to break the tension! 

• Love 21
26 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Other than his friendship with Rande Gerber, George Clooney doesn't do any of the things that closeted celebrities tend to do--employing their partner as an assistant, personal trainer, or producing partner. His long time personal assistant is a woman who has been with him for 20 years. If Clooney is having sex with a man, it would have to be Rande Gerber because he doesn't spend that much time around any other men. I'd always thought of them as bromosocial, but maybe they are bromosexual and using their periodic bro trips as a cover for their Ennis/Jack reunions.

Actually, his rumored lover was his hairstylist who often traveled with him.

2 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Aw, it's okay sasha206, but maybe when things get a little heated on the forums, we should all start typing out 'CLIP, CLIP' just for shits and giggles!  That's one way to break the tension! 

LOL, YES!!

(edited)

Walmart had skinny girl mints , in  a tin, in the  check out line yesterday. I was going to try then but, they were cappucino flavored. I hate coffee. Also why suck on something that is going to give you coffee breath?  Or maybe it's to take the place of actually drinking a cappucino.  

This Walmart was in northern Kentucky, so yes. Skinny Girl is a lot of places.

Also, if it really wasn't a big brand, I don't think Shark Tank would ask Beth  to be a co host next season.  It seems like the hosts on there all have big businesses.

Edited by howiveaddict
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, howiveaddict said:

Walmart had skinny girl mints , in  a tin, in the  check out line yesterday. I was going to try then but, they were cappucino flavored. I hate coffee. Also why suck on something that is going to give you coffee breath?  Or maybe it's to take the place of actually drinking a cappucino.  

Also, if it really wasn't a big brand, I don't think Shark Tank would ask Beth  to be a co host next season.  It seems like the hosts on there all have big businesses.

The only time I have seen any SGK products they are in the clearance aisle at Target and TJ Maxx but I admit, I do not look for them throughout the store and I have not seen SKG alcohol products in the liquor store either but, once again, it is not a product I look for or would buy (base on reviews I have read). 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

I'm actually excited to see her on Shark Tank! Seems like a good fit for her.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

Exactly. If folks still think it is a fake business, not actually available at any retail outlet, they only need to know that these folks selected her from among a lot of other folks who would like the gig. So it must be an actual successful business venture. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, sasha206 said:

I'm not one for outing of someone not ready to be outted.  And it's no one's business whom you fuck, provided they are consenting adults.  But I think the feeling is  if he *is* bisexual, he must think it is shameful as he's only open with his relationship with women but not with men.  We always knew the women he was dating.  If he was dating a man, we don't know about it.   I think this is why people care about sexuality of celebrities.  Because if you aren't open about it it implies there is something shameful about it.   And that's a bad message to send to teenagers particularly if it's obvious they are hiding it.  For example, Queen Latifah is most likely gay.  She retreats to not a position of "I don't talk about my private life."  She could be a powerful examples to young black teens who are afraid to come out.  Instead, she won't address it. Yet on her talk show, she'd always ask others about their mates, their loves.  I don't think a star needs to come out and say, "I'm gay."  But they can take their signficant others out in public and not pretend they are their "personal trainers."  We don't live in the Rock Hudson era anymore.

So, all of this is just my opinion which means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Where I tend to go with the whole "Oh, he's bisexual" thing is the cause behind why people go there. If someone hasn't been married and they are of a certain age then they are gay. There are others but a lot of times, it is used as an insult. 

A lot of my friends growing up are gay and none of them felt comfortable coming out until well in their 20's. Part of that was because of these types of discussions that take place.  I wouldn't say it is homophobic or anything like that. I think it is just more that people don't always realize how their words come off to other people and the effect it would have on them. Sure, people might be talking about a celebrity but people apply it to themselves as well. 

As far as Queen Latifah not coming out...  I have to agree with @BBHN in that it is their decision on what to do.  One of the things I hate most is when people get outted. If someone wants to come out and live their life, great. If someone wants to be quiet about it, great. Jessica Chastain dated her now-husband for 4 years or so before they got married and there are very few pictures out there about it. She rarely discusses that relationship but it is viewed as acceptable and even lauded because it is a straight relationship. There is a double standard out there. Straight people can keep quiet about their relationships and it is considered refreshing that a celebrity keeps their private life quiet. However, gay people are expected to be open about their relationships or else they are ashamed of their sexuality. It just doesn't sit well with me. 

7 hours ago, sasha206 said:

Right.  But, but he's never hid his relationships with women.  So when the gay rumors come out and you don't deny it and instead act as though answering the question itself insults gay people, it doesn't really make sense to me.    Particularly when the rumors are being propagated largely by gay bloggers and gay message forums.

I personally don't care if he is or isn't.  But the fact remains there are still celebrities like John Travolta who go to great lengths to hide their sexuality as if there is something wrong with it.  And then they end up getting photographed or having lawsuits against them.  And STILL deny it.  Clooney's non-denial to me reads like someone who is aware he could very well end up a Travolta at some point and therefore can never be accused of lying.

See above...  I don't want it to seem like I'm picking on you or targeting you because that isn't my intention. Those are just my thoughts on it. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Exactly. If folks still think it is a fake business, not actually available at any retail outlet, they only need to know that these folks selected her from among a lot of other folks who would like the gig. So it must be an actual successful business venture. 

I don't think it's a fake business.  I just don't think it's as big as some like to say.  I give her full credit for her success.

I do think a big part of her being on as a guest judge on Shark Tank, or whatever they call them, is that she does have a name that some will recognize. 

Not directed at you MCM:  I really don't care about George Clooney's sexuality.  And heck, if Carole dated him at some point.  Cool for her if she enjoyed it.

I don't care about Queen Latifah's sexuality either.  But...I do care that one of my kids, in high school, sometimes delivered for a place to her house in NJ and she was very nice and a very good tipper.  Now, that's what is important.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, motorcitymom65 said:

I don't think anyone here has said that SKG is a "fake business" or even alluded to that. What has been said is that it isn't in every store, be it a liquor store, a grocery store (big or small) or department store (big or small). Bethenny has done well for herself without a doubt, business wise that is, but she isn't on the level of major food/alcohol manufactures. Oh, and she is a guest shark on the show, she is a fill in when 1 of the real sharks hosts are busy elsewhere. Yes, it is an accomplishment/honor to be asked to fill in but she is nowhere near their level as a business person. 

2 minutes ago, BBHN said:

Only George Clooney, not Tom D'Agostino ;-)

I don't think either man is gay and I could careless either way! LOL

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't think either man is gay and I could careless either way! LOL

I don't think either is gay as well, that wasn't the point of what I said LOL

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, sasha206 said:

I always thought it was a clever non-denial.  If you aren't gay, you could easily say, "I'm not gay.  And if I was, I wouldn't hide it because there is nothing wrong with it."  Perhaps questioning sexuality is the insult?  I'm trying to figure out how answering the question insults that gay community.  

I think the rumor mill runs strong from the gay community.  There are many gay sites that question his sexuality constantly.  Rumors like this aren't always started by hetereos.  Sometimes they have their beginnings from stories and speculation within the gay community.  I'm on a celebrity blogging site and the gay blogger constantly refers to him as being gay.   

Idk if you read LaineyGossip but she's been writing blinds about him and his downlow fun forever. Allegedly he has a strict preference for the swirl and likes to play very rough.  If memory serves she posted some instances of him in a sling that were allegedly caused by kink..  Just sharing the tea, no judgment! ;)

Also, Dorinda's "unacceptable behavior" is such a turn-off to me, who says that??  She's so full of it, it reminds of the F-U dinner.  Just like Dorinda plenty curses, I wouldn't be surprised if John hits it unacceptably when they're both drizzzed.  She has some notion about how a snob is supposed to act, but it's time to reconcile that she's not that, especially days after drunkenly screaming at Sonja in a restaurant while performing the "suck it" motion.

6 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

Again, who cares about George's sexual orientation?

He seems to be happy and married with twins who seem to be healthy?  Isn't that all that matters?

Gossip? Isn't this forum for a hen to cluck?

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Inspectabecky said:

Idk if you read LaineyGossip but she's been writing blinds about him and his downlow fun forever. Allegedly he has a strict preference for the swirl and likes to play very rough.  If memory serves she posted some instances of him in a sling that were allegedly caused by kink..  Just sharing the tea, no judgment! ;)

I'd never read the Clooney was gay but I've never  heard of laineygossip. . I did Read about Tom cruise and travolta being gay and hiding it because of Scientology.  I always thought Clooney was homely and a terrible actor. He always makes the same stupid faces. 

As for Tom, he seems to like women, I don't know why someone would say that about him. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, sasha206 said:

Actually, his rumored lover was his hairstylist who often traveled with him

I never heard that, but I always felt he was gay. He doesn't do anything for me, I think he's to girly man..oh well, he wouldn't like me either.☺

1 hour ago, Lemons said:

I'd never read the Clooney was gay but I've never  heard of laineygossip. . I did Read about Tom cruise and travolta being gay and hiding it because of Scientology.  I always thought Clooney was homely and a terrible actor. He always makes the same stupid faces. 

As for Tom, he seems to like women, I don't know why someone would say that about him. 

I love Tom, something about him,gay or not makes me want to sit and have a great conversation with him.I don't get a gay vibe from it at all.

On 7/8/2017 at 8:08 PM, athousandclowns said:

There was a odd reference to Rosemary Clooney and early Kennedys. I didn't quite understand it though. Sounds like she had mental breakdowns several times. 

Rosemary had a roller coaster life but at the end of it all, she was at peace (by accounts) and she enjoyed life. She wrote 2 memoirs, one while her ex-ex-husband (they married & divorced each other twice) was living -- it's more sedate, as you might imagine. In the later one, after José had died, she told all. 

A testament to the human spirit AND a glimpse into George's dad's family of origin, for anyone who's interested. 

PS: Young George was sometimes a driver for Rosemary and her three co-stars in a revival revue of music from the '30s & '40s & early '50s. It might have been called "4 Girls 4", I can't recall.  She recalled how the ladies would be well lit and hollering at George to find a place to pull over so they could use the side of the road. I'm sure Bethenny knows she didn't do anything original on that limo trip, her first season back. Hee! 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Inspectabecky said:

Also, Dorinda's "unacceptable behavior" is such a turn-off to me, who says that??

Yeah, that felt pretty homophobic to me.  It seemed that she realized that mid-statement and tried to back pedal a bit.  Just makes me wonder about her.  Everyone has their own likes/dislikes, but that was some real judgment coming from Dorinda.  Honestly, I wish that subject matter had not been brought up. 

• Love 2

Dorinda's comments about anal sex being unnatural were unfiltered Dorinda, which is a rare commodity on the housewives shows . Most of the women are super self aware and politically correct. I don't think she meant it as a statement on homosexuality and I don't think she seems homophobic at all. 

Considering Bethenny seems to despise being on this show, and besides Carole, dislikes the rest of the women, I would venture to say if she was as successful as she wants people to believe she wouldn't be doing the show. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Juliegirlj said:

Considering Bethenny seems to despise being on this show, and besides Carole, dislikes the rest of the women, I would venture to say if she was as successful as she wants people to believe she wouldn't be doing the show. 

Exactly! LOL

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Juliegirlj said:

Dorinda's comments about anal sex being unnatural were unfiltered Dorinda, which is a rare commodity on the housewives shows . Most of the women are super self aware and politically correct. I don't think she meant it as a statement on homosexuality and I don't think she seems homophobic at all. 

The thing about Bethenny and her brand exposure on Bravo and RHONYC she is pitching to the same audience.  Shark Tank sounds wonderful but do they gives the panel a ton of exposure for their products?  Bethenny seems to be adding to her realm by going into real estate.  I just know how the SKinnygirl and real estate will meld and one can make a whole lot of money on a single real estate transaction compared to a single digit percentage of the wholesale of other SG products. 

• Love 3

This forum has been locked until Midnight US Eastern.

Over the past few weeks, there has been a large increase in sniping among posters in this forum, and many reports. We have locked the forum to give everyone a chance to read and absorb the following guidelines:

1. Snark the show, not your fellow posters.

2. It is perfectly fine for someone to have an opinion that's different than yours.

3. A differing opinion should not be a catalyst for vehement disagreement and endless back and forth. State your opinion once, and move on. You can agree to disagree by simply not posting on the subject further.

4. Stop stating opinions and speculation as fact. We rarely know for sure what's going on behind the scenes. Speculation is encouraged, but saying "I think", "in my opinion" or "it's possible that" helps keep things from escalating. 

5. If someone's posts annoy you, use the Ignore feature. If someone really crosses a line, report, but do not engage. 

6. Don't discuss mod actions in the thread. Please PM us if you have a question or concern - @Lisin, @OnceSane, @Mya Stone, @Aethera.

7. This is supposed to be fun. If it's not fun for you, consider changing your approach.

Failure to follow these rules may lead to suspension or banning from the site.

20 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

This is the episode where they go skiing?  Just wanted to add, as a skier myself, that Ramona having her instructor/eye candy carry her equipment is very out of line.  You are taught very young that everyone carries their own equipment.

@jumper sage, it was in this episode where they went skiing. As for any lessons Ramona has learned, I'm thinking she really does not give two licks. She's awful.

• Love 7
(edited)

That's because she saves her skills for the slopes of Aspen. What, you think she'd waste her true skiing talent on the peasant slopes of Vermont? ;)

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 8
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:08 AM, Juliegirlj said:

I don't think Dorinda is homophobic, I thought she was speaking from personal view about a man and a woman.  Not that the two are mutually exclusive but the charity Dorinda puts a lot of effort into is an AIDS charity for Broadway actors and has for years.  So I do find her to support LGBT causes.  I am to the point of believing Dorinda believes she is somehow suppose to be the focus of any and all conversations.

Having said that, it dawned on me, in retrospect I believe the reason Dorinda really didn't want Sonja in the Berkshires and both she and Ramona were voting against Sonja in last year's Mexico trip  is Dorinda (and Ramona) were a little nervous that if confronted again by Bethenny Sonja might just spill the involvement Ramona and Dorinda (via John) had in Tipsy Girl.  Eventually Sonja did but it was too late to make much of an impact. 

I have never understood why someone who is all about their brand is so often negative on her reality shows.  I think it would better to not have the face of a spiteful, base controlling person connected with the brand.  For the most part when they were launching Beam went the opposite direction with Skinnygirl and went with the drinks being for ladies. Which would probably exclude a woman talking about penis size and anal sex hurting because of the size of a partner's penis over dinner and drinks. 

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, BBHN said:

That's because she saves her skills for the slopes of Aspen. What, you think she'd waste her true skiing talent on the peasant slopes of Vermont? ;)

In Ramona's defense, she did make some sense in preferring Aspen.

On the east coast, upstate NY & Vermont - you are skiing over a layer of snow that might be "man-made" this is spread out over snow that has melted and iced over.

On the west coast, Breckenridge, Vail, Aspen - the snow is "fluffy", there is a ton more space to ski and it is not over crowded.

As for her skiing talent, I think she skis better than she dances - but her dances are more entertaining

Edited by KungFuBunny
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

I don't think Dorinda is homophobic, I thought she was speaking from personal view about a man and a woman.  Not that the two are mutually exclusive but the charity Dorinda puts a lot of effort into is an AIDS charity for Broadway actors and has for years.  So I do find her to support LGBT causes.  I am to the point of believing Dorinda believes she is somehow suppose to be the focus of any and all conversations.

I didn't know this.  Thanks!  I still find her comments jarring, but hopefully she was speaking of her own preferences and not judging others. I still think this was a horrible topic for a very public conversation and we all have Carole to thank for that.  Such class!

• Love 8

I know there was talk up thread about whether Carole ate her breakfast and to me it looked like she didn't touch a thing on her plate. They showed her coming to the table to an empty plate and then there was a full plate in front of her the next minute. They never showed Carole getting the food for herself so maybe she wanted to pass on breakfast but one of the other ladies put food on her plate (some moms just love to feed people). I'm just curious as to why she felt it was ok to call Ramona out for her bare feet on the couch but no one called her out for having her bare foot on the chair at breakfast the entire time.

• Love 1

I saw Skinny Girl wine at my neighborhood CVS last week.  ( I live in Northern California) I thought about trying it, but then decided not to spend the sixteen bucks on something that might be vile...

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

I saw Skinny Girl wine at my neighborhood CVS last week.  ( I live in Northern California) I thought about trying it, but then decided not to spend the sixteen bucks on something that might be vile...

1. Buy some wine that you like.
  2. Add some water to it, not flavored or sparkling.
  3. You've had Skinnygirl wine. 

Has anyone heard the Watch What Crappens original song Do the D'Agostino? It's funny.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Normades said:

I didn't know this.  Thanks!  I still find her comments jarring, but hopefully she was speaking of her own preferences and not judging others. I still think this was a horrible topic for a very public conversation and we all have Carole to thank for that.  Such class!

I just rewatched, and Dorinda commented on it negatively between a man and a woman.

I felt bad for Lu.....all she was saying after that graphic truth or dare, was that she was happy she was married.  I'm happy I'm married too.  I wasn't offended by the game, except for the kiss, because we played this in college.

Ramona just grates on my last nerve.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Normades said:

I still find her comments jarring, but hopefully she was speaking of her own preferences and not judging others. I still think this was a horrible topic for a very public conversation and we all have Carole to thank for that.  Such class!

I don't think Dorinda meant any disrespect to anybody.  I took it as her personal preference.  Some women have the same reaction to "blowies," and it has nothing to do with anybody else but themselves.  As far as the topic at the dinner table in front of the male chefs go, I thought it was in bad taste and was a lame attempt on Carole's part to be the cool girl.  I've seen this on other reality shows.  People want that big, shocking moment, so they throw in the "anal sex" line.  I don't find it shocking or pearl-clutching worthy at this stage of my life!  I'm disappointed that they don't have more scruples than to discuss such sex-related topics within  earshot of total strangers though.  No thought or regard to how awkward it might be for them.  

• Love 4
(edited)

Sung to the Beverly Hillbillies theme song.  

Come and listen to a story about a gal named Beth
A poor city girl, who will talk a soul to death,
And then one day she was mixin' up some booze,
And over the phone came the wonderful news.

Grog that is, cocktails, moonshine.

Well the first thing you know ol Beth's a millionaire,
Then Ellen called and said "Beth, move away from there"
Said "California is the place you ought to be"
So she loaded up the truck and she went on TV.

A talk show, that is.  Stunning beaches, movie stars.

Well now it's time to say goodbye to Beth and all her pals.
And they would like to thank you folks for listening to these gals.
You're all invited back next week to watch them on TV
We'll learn a thing or two on how to score and make whoopee.

Pirates that is.  Set a spell, take your clothes off.

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 9
Just now, ChitChat said:

Sung to the Beverly Hillbillies theme song.  

Come and listen to a story about a gal named Beth
A poor city girl, who will talk a soul to death,
And then one day she was mixin' up some booze,
And over the phone came the wonderful news.

Grog that is, cocktails, moonshine.

Well the first thing you know ol Beth's a millionaire,
Then Ellen called and said "move away from there"
Said "California is the place you ought to be"
So she loaded up the truck and she went on TV.

A talk show, that is.  Stunning beaches, movie stars.

Well now it's time to say goodbye to Beth and all her pals.
And they would like to thank you folks for listening to these gals.
You're all invited back next week to watch them on TV
We'll learn a thing or two on how to score and make whoopee.

Pirates that is.  Set a spell, take your clothes off.

Did you come up with that? 

"If Bethenny's products were as successful as she says they are she wouldn't be doing the show" 

She is bound by her contract with Beam for 7 years of publicity by what it is called a back-end deal. David Kanbar, her partner, didn't have the commitment so he took her money all up front and moved on to new projects. Bethenny took the risk and signed a back-end deal that would last 7 years,  the contract was signed March of 2011, she still has some more months to go. Just about another year.

Bethenny as part of the deal commits herself to keep promoting SGC in any show that she is part of, by doing so she is honoring her contract. She left RHNY after season 3 because she had her own show BEA where she could do the promotion. After that she got her talk show but that lasted a season, she needs a mean to actively promote the cocktails and that is why she came back to RHNY. At least until 2018, 

It has always fascinated me to read about the BEAM & SGC deal so I read most of the articles published at a time where they explained this kind of contract. She received most the money the first three years but her contract ties her to the cocktail line for 7 years. Beam could decide to cut Bethenny completely out of Skinny Girl Cocktails next year, but Bethenny was sure to include in her contract that this only pertains to the cocktails, any other product still belongs to Bethenny. 

IMO I doubt that Bethenny is on the show for the salary they pay her, she is for the free publicity opportunity she has for her products. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Leroux said:

"If Bethenny's products were as successful as she says they are she wouldn't be doing the show" 

She is bound by her contract with Beam for 7 years of publicity by what it is called a back-end deal. David Kanbar, her partner, didn't have the commitment so he took her money all up front and moved on to new projects. Bethenny took the risk and signed a back-end deal that would last 7 years,  the contract was signed March of 2011, she still has some more months to go. Just about another year.

Bethenny as part of the deal commits herself to keep promoting SGC in any show that she is part of, by doing so she is honoring her contract. She left RHNY after season 3 because she had her own show BEA where she could do the promotion. After that she got her talk show but that lasted a season, she needs a mean to actively promote the cocktails and that is why she came back to RHNY. At least until 2018, 

It has always fascinated me to read about the BEAM & SGC deal so I read most of the articles published at a time where they explained this kind of contract. She received most the money the first three years but her contract ties her to the cocktail line for 7 years. Beam could decide to cut Bethenny completely out of Skinny Girl Cocktails next year, but Bethenny was sure to include in her contract that this only pertains to the cocktails, any other product still belongs to Bethenny. 

IMO I doubt that Bethenny is on the show for the salary they pay her, she is for the free publicity opportunity she has for her products. 

I don't know all the specifics of the Beam deal but there was something I read by someone who analyzed Beam's financials and there was no payout in anywhere near the sum that was 'reported'.  She may have signed a deal that 'could' be worth a certain amount of money over a period of time but I don't think that has happened.  Beam even reported the following year after buying Skinnygirl, sales were already down 13 percent.  Then Beam was sold to Suntory and they don't publish financials.  When they do publish stuff, Skinnygirl is hardly mentioned.

I agree that Beth is on the show to promote her product but at the same time I think she came back because she is a famewhore.  What a comedown to go back to doing this show if she's so darn successful.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

I don't know all the specifics of the Beam deal but there was something I read by someone who analyzed Beam's financials and there was no payout in anywhere near the sum that was 'reported'.  She may have signed a deal that 'could' be worth a certain amount of money over a period of time but I don't think that has happened.  Beam even reported the following year after buying Skinnygirl, sales were already down 13 percent.  Then Beam was sold to Suntory and they don't publish financials.  When they do publish stuff, Skinnygirl is hardly mentioned.

I agree that Beth is on the show to promote her product but at the same time I think she came back because she is a famewhore.  What a comedown to go back to doing this show if she's so darn successful.

Especially a show she once said she would never do again! LOL

• Love 2

It isn't free publicity...she is getting paid to be on the show...so she gets a paycheck for promoting her product on the show.

Being on this show is good marketing. Why not keep building her brand as much as she can?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, breezy424 said:

The only thing I have to add about the drop in Skinnygirl sales is that a year after the sale competitors had brought a dozen competitors to market. 

https://www.beveragemedia.com/2012/11/28/cocktails-in-a-bottle-premium-premixed-cocktails-drive-innovation-in-the-ready-to-serve-category/

• Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

The only thing I have to add about the drop in Skinnygirl sales is that a year after the sale competitors had brought a dozen competitors to market. 

https://www.beveragemedia.com/2012/11/28/cocktails-in-a-bottle-premium-premixed-cocktails-drive-innovation-in-the-ready-to-serve-category/

The competition was most certainly a factor - her brand grew the category and others wanted a piece of the pie. But I think one of the bigger elements was that the year before SG had introduced a lot of new products. Whenever you introduce a lot of new stuff you have a big year, and then it is hard to lap that growth the following years. It is just the way of the world and I believe that this was something that was addressed by Beam at the time. 

Regarding how much money she got - which has always been open to much speculation - the thought in the industry at the time was that her contract was fairly standard. A big initial payday, and then a percentage of the profits moving forward for a specific time period, and potentially a bonus at the end of the time if a specific growth target were achieved. This happens often times when a company wants to make sure that the person who is tied to the brand stays engaged in the marketing, if they think that the name and the person is important to growth. I have seen it work both ways. Believe it or not, sometimes in these cases the person selling what amounts to their name (or licensing their name on a year by year basis) never looks back if they have no financial reason to look back (and sometimes even if they do). I have worked with people who will literally never mention the product again. One chef who would do cooking segments or interviews, and never mention the line of products that were available in the grocery aisle with their name on it, because they wanted to look like a chef, and not someone who pushed products in a glass jar or the frozen food section. Use to drive me nuts. Please, for the love of all that is holy, say something about this brand in some manner to help spur sales. Some won't touch it. Beth has always stayed very involved in the liquor side of things when she is promoting her brands, which is huge, and makes be believe that she still has the opportunity to continue to make money on the deal. 

Edited by motorcitymom65
  • Love 7
(edited)

Beam even reported the following year after buying Skinnygirl, sales were already down 13 percent. 

Interesting, because the article above says SG as a brand grew 81% the year after the sale.

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 7/9/2017 at 3:30 AM, LIMOM said:

Sorry, I feel absolutely shameless in that matter. It is not that deep and I don't view gay, straight, bi or any other designations as anything pejorative.

It is harmless banter, imo.

would you be hurt if someone said something of the sort about yourself?

I doubt that George cares either ways, he knows who he is.

Happened at a job I had about 13 years ago.  I worked at a police dept and I have a nose ring and tattoos so I heard the rumor I was a lesbian.  I laughed and said don't disabuse them of that notion and told the female sgt that we should tell them we are dating.  

Re Bethenny and branding on her snowboard.  Its what you do when you have a brand.  Put that name on anything and everything that can be seen.  If she didn't take that opportunity I would think she is wasting a prime opportunity and is really stupid.

Edited by Natalie68
  • Love 8