Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E20: 'Til DeAth Do Us Part

That was so bad I honestly have no words. I have never been so appalled by a television show in history. 

I didn't think they could outdo themselves after the Charlotte reveal, but here we are.

That scene with Mona locking up Mary and Alex was the only saving grace. 

• Love 13

Like, I'm not sure what to think right now. Glad that the main 4 liars are still tight friends, but like @AftermathTV said in the chat thread this Emison thing is weird. Especially them acting holier than thou about bullying. Like a few years ago Allison was throwing the other four under the bus with Lorenzo. She hasn't changed that much, her bitch is right there always ready to come out when she feels like someone isn't totally on her side.

The Ezria thing is, sigh, whatever. 

Also what is the big hurry for all of them to have babies already. 

• Love 5

Bravo to the folks here who figured out that it was Alt-Spencer who met Wren at the airport! 

Hated Aria's mini wedding dress.

Still trying to unpack that last scene of Mona in Paris. Was it real or has she gone nuts again?

I don't think I'm going to miss this show; I've been hate-watching it as the plot contrivances got more and more tortured.

• Love 2
(edited)

I missed the live chat thread.  Oh well.

Anyway.  I was one of the people who always wanted Spencer to be AD.  She was probably in my top list of top suspects even back when Mona was A so I was happy with the revelation that Spencer has an evil British Twin.  Plus considering the Mary Drake angle of jealousy, mental illness and murder it all does make sense and the back story was at least believable.

I also liked that Mona will always be Mona holding Alex and Mary Drake.  The show did need to end with two illusions which I liked . The creepy dolls and the missing girl.  I guess this is one game that will always go on.

The romantic teenage melodrama was a necessary evil.  I did like Spencer and Toby and even Alison and Emily.  Caleb and Hanna were only interesting in how quickly the honeymoon ended.  A kid is not going to stop that marriage from self destructing eventually.

Of course the show ends with the teacher and student getting married.  That cellphone ring was for all of us who were always against it.  Byron should have punched Ezra in the face.

Still as series finales goes......not the best one I have ever seen but it doesn't ruin the show for me either.  I give it a B.  Overall I give the show a B-.

i think I will actually miss this crazy ass doesn't always make a lick of sense, when it bad it is awful but when it's good its better then it has any right to be, sure is fun to watch show.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5
Just now, dkb said:

Also what is the big hurry for all of them to have babies already. 

If the show were continuing, you know Alex would be pregnant with Toby's twins.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, WhosThatGirl said:

This was so bad. Also I'm not watching the wrap party thing. I thought it was going to be a feature ting where they talk about past seasons, this is real boring.

The wrap party thing is boring. The only good part is when Troian said she knew she was AD for 2 years and someone dont know who said "that long" like they couldn't believe that there was an actual plan

• Love 5

Also, shallow commentary -- in the flashback bar scene with Alex, what the hell was that on Charlotte's head?  That wig was awful, and I don't know why they weren't showing Vanessa Ray's beautiful hair.

• Love 7

Weirdly I think I am the most annoyed about Alison/Emily being endgame. Like I figured the other three couples would end up together but I was honestly hoping Emily would runaway with Paige. I know Paige was still messed up, but it felt like the less for-the-shippers option.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, superman1204 said:

Weirdly I think I am the most annoyed about Alison/Emily being endgame. Like I figured the other three couples would end up together but I was honestly hoping Emily would runaway with Paige. I know Paige was still messed up, but it felt like the less for-the-shippers option.

Oh emison being a true love couple is high on my list. Especially because they continued to make a point for Emily to get all up in other girls faces about Addison when she was in a relantionship with her bully as someone pointed out in the chat Thread.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Oh emison being a true love couple is high on my list. Especially because they continued to make a point for Emily to get all up in other girls faces about Addison when she was in a relantionship with her bully as someone pointed out in the chat Thread.

They really fucked up with that Addison storyline. The whole thing just seemed to so heavily indicate that we need to remember what a terrible person Alison was and how behavior like that can have lifelong effects on innocent people. It felt like it should have ended with Emily realizing that she could do better and finally move on from Alison, but instead it ended with...no resolution whatsoever?

• Love 3

Ok I finally stopped laughing long enough to compose a few thoughts. 

I wanted actual Spencer to be A.D., not knock off British Spencer. Seriously, I love Troian, but that accent was horrible. And really, another secret relative? This time a secret evil twin? Could these writers be any less imaginative. 

Pains me to say it but I kind of agreed with Caleb re: Mona. I mean I’m glad she ultimately “won” the game, but girl is straight up crazy and there’s clearly no helping her so all Hanna did by sponsoring her was give her an opportunity to escape and get suckered back into the game that’s ruled her life for so long. 

Byron giving his daughter’s statuary rapist his blessing before their marriage. How sweet! 

I guess Charlotte and Alex use the same underground bunker guy. 

Are Ali and Emily ever going to find out who fathered their children?  

And all the ships lived happily ever after. How shocking! 

Somewhere in the world, Jason DiLaurentis is picking up the phone, finding out he has yet another sister and screaming into the night. 

Fully expected the last scene to be Addison going missing but I don’t think they did it to set up a spin-off, I think it was just done as a nod to the original story and to show the mystery lives on in Rosewood. 

Not sure what we were supposed to make of that opening scene with the girls having coffee outside. 

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, SadieT said:

Somewhere in the world, Jason DiLaurentis is picking up the phone, finding out he has yet another sister and screaming into the night. 

LMAO. This is hilarious and on point @SadieT 

• Love 9

I mean, like I said in this chat thread, I thought I had higher expectations but I really didn't. I didn't have any REAL guesses as to who A, AD whatever was because I knew the answer was just going to be a load of bull.

The clothes here were pretty terrible. I started watching for the pretty and the clothes from Hanna's top to Aria wedding dress. Just awful. Was Jason in this? Did Melissa only show up to be a mask for Mona?

I didn't like the end with Mona and the dollhouse or the reboot. The exact same lines? The same number of girls? These writers blow and I am avoiding anything by this hack show runner.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Oh my god, Jason!!! God. Poor Jason. If anyone deserves a revenge scheme, it's him. 

Did Jason hook up with Alex at some point ? He did date CeCe for a while.  And I think he kissed Spencer too.

The one thing I will say is that I didn't get a "happy ending" vibe from that last scene of the girls. Alison's line about this being the end of something, everyone crying about Aria leaving on her honeymoon but not knowing why...I got the feeling that this was kind of the end of their friendship in a way. No more A, nothing tying them together, everyone going off to start their new families and lives. I got the sense that there was a bittersweet undertone that they'll all care about each other forever, but this supposed "close knit" friendship is kind of over. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Did Jason hook up with Alex at some point ? He did date CeCe for a while.  And I think he kissed Spencer too.

He hooked up with Melissa, I believe. Never Spencer. So 2 out of 5. 

• Love 2
(edited)
3 minutes ago, marinaalexis said:

The one thing I will say is that I didn't get a "happy ending" vibe from that last scene of the girls. Alison's line about this being the end of something, everyone crying about Aria leaving on her honeymoon but not knowing why...I got the feeling that this was kind of the end of their friendship in a way. No more A, nothing tying them together, everyone going off to start their new families and lives. I got the sense that there was a bittersweet undertone that they'll all care about each other forever, but this supposed "close knit" friendship is kind of over. 

I was hoping that when the scene cut to the storefront in France that Ezria (still on their honeymoon) would stumble in looking for some baguettes (but accidentally go in the wrong store) -- and have them be shocked that Mona was there.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
2 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

He dated CeCe and made out with Melissa once, but as far as I can remember, he never did anything with Spencer / Twincer or Ali.  So only 2 out of 5 sisters, giving him a 40% Targaryen rating.

• Love 12

So I'm guess Mona was Melissa the entire time or was Spencer really reconnecting with real Melissa? Loved that Torrey made the time from Chicago Med to come and film. 

Hated Aria's first dress, loved the second. The whole 2nd look was really more real "Aria." 

I really enjoyed Troian's role as Alex, she was great and always loved Spencer/Wren chemistry so seeing him again and acting with Troian was great. 

Interesting that Caleb wanted to leave Rosewood, don't blame him. May be now with the pregnancy he and Hannah would get to make that new start somewhere else. 

Loved drunk moms scene at rehearsal dinner.  I liked they had Ezra share a scene with Byron.  No Mike appearance? 

So for the ending, I'm going to choose to forget the last scene of the new girls and end this with the real girls saying bye to Aria.  You could see their real emotion and good for the writers for putting in the acknowledgement that this was "the end of something."  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, marinaalexis said:

I got that vib too but I feel like that moment isn't really earned. I thought the girls had all been living in Rosewood for the past year, without any AD trouble holding them together, so shouldn't they just go back to normal. Like everyone's careers seem to be going well. Aria and Hannah look like they will be millionaires. Everyone was married and trying for kids. I felt like the plot of show made this last run in with AD an after thought and everyone was already established in their lives. The undertone of everything is ending didn't really make any sense for the five characters. Unless they figure out they were in a tv show and they are just happy Marlene King will stop doing weird stuff to them.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, marinaalexis said:

I'll be honest; I thought it was just another dumbass meta line about how the show's ending. But it most likely is the end of their friendship too. Look at how often they keep in touch when A isn't in their lives. I'd love to know if they actually spent time together in this time jump, because the last two time jumps have shown that they grow apart (the one year time jump pre-series, and the five year time jump last season). I did tune out the whole beginning scene because I was way too confused by it. Plus, the dialogue sounded forced.

I'd like to think that Hanna/Caleb's issues won't be fixed with a baby and I'm happy to think that they just continued to fight and implode, since I don't believe their only problem was Mona living with them. Spencer/Toby never actually got a happy ending, since Toby's romantic scenes were all with Alex so I'm pretending that Spencer/Toby decided not to start anything. 

23 minutes ago, SadieT said:

God, that made me laugh harder than anything. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Wren was the father btw guys i guess some people missed that it amazes me how much of a pawn Wren was in this game for Alex Drake and telling him Everything about spencer omg

Edited by Froippi
  • Love 1

I mean.. this could have been a fun crazy thing. Spencer has a crazy British twin!! Instead Spencer's crazy twin is just boring as all hell. I'm surprised Spencer didn't fall asleep while Alex told her story. Girl was boring. Spencer was much more interesting when she went cray-cray and strangled Mona at that debate tournament.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Froippi said:

Wren was the father btw guys i guess some people missed that

I don't think that they missed Wren being the father it's that we don't know if Emily and Allison know. We don't know if Alex told Spencer about that. She made it sound like it was all Rollins when talking to Spencer.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 minutes ago, notcreative enough said:

I don't think that they missed Wren being the father it's that we don't know if Emily and Allison know. We don't know if Alex told Spencer about that. She made it sound like it was all Rollins when talking to Spencer.

oh ok I misread some replies your right they were never told which is odd not that it really matters much cause um Alex used Wren as a pawn to get what she wanted and here I thought Mona would be a pawn in the finale

Edited by Froippi
Just now, AftermathTV said:

I heard that Alex apparently caused the deer crash and killed Yvonne?

I'm not sure if the Spoby shippers will even notice that they didn't really get together conclusively.

any chance that couple may have had getting together is completely ruin now no way spencer would want to date him now after him not being able to tell the two apart

• Love 2

Dear lord, I thought my eyes were going to roll right out of my head during nearly all of that. The romance stuff has always been the weakest part of the show, so of course, the series finale has about 75% romantic plots. These girls are supposed to be maybe 24 or 25 at this point. Why are they all either already mothers, trying to become mothers, or lamenting the fact that they can't have children naturally? So many issues with that. And why, after hearing Troian's painfully bad accent, did they decide to go ahead with that stupid accent? Ugh. Just so much ugh. I can't believe I've wasted 7 years of my life watching this. 

• Love 8

That was god awful. Maybe the worst series finale I've ever seen. Though you got to hand it to the writers for going full on batshit, soap opera crazy instead of the fun, interesting murder mystery it started out as. Can we stop and acknowledge how many random children Spencer's dad has wandering the globe? How all of Jason's sisters are a little nuts? How boring and useless Ali became after she came back from the dead and made the show jump the shark with her? How we only got to see Chad Lowe for a second only for him to give his daughter's English teacher permission to marry her?  Ugh. I'll miss the characters but that's it. 

• Love 15

One of the many reason why this finale sucked so much was because it was all about Spencer and her evil twin. The other 4 liars were such non-factors they could have been left out the episode entirely. 

• Love 13

I mean.. I just find myself disappointed with all series finales as of late,so that was my second reason for not expecting much from this. The first being that this is PLL and nothing was going to be cleared up.

3 minutes ago, SadieT said:

One of the many reason why this finale sucked so much was because it was all about Spencer and her evil twin. The other 4 liars were such non-factors they could have been left out the episode entirely. 

Yeah and for some reason.. Ezra? Also Toby too? For someone who was hardly even a real factor throughout this season, he became a big catalyst for Alex's crazy. I mean yeah in the beginning she was all "I did this for the family and friends I never got" but then she was all about hooking up with Toby.

And then you know ruining the Ezra and Aria wedding.. because Ezra caught on to her?  And she gets points for that.. hilarious! But then loses the points because then Ezra gets a somewhat supporting role in the final act of this series. 

And everyone can skip the first hour of this hot mess. Did anything even happen in the first hour? 

• Love 3

Well that was some Dickensian bullshit!

Looks like Ashley Marin is about to get into a love triangle with Veronica Hastings over her beloved wine. Now THAT would be a hot sex montage. The wine moms was total fan service, and it gave me strength to get through the episode. All those endings felt interminable like the end of "The Return of the King," but with way fewer gay hobbits. At least Mona lived and she has someone who will treat her like the queen she is.

The shipping is one thing, and I'm sort of numb to it at this point. Woulda been much better if Byron told Ezra, "You're fucking lucky Mike isn't here to rip your arms off, dipshit," and I couldn't even pretend to care when his life was in danger. Still, there's no getting away from it. BUT. FFS, did they have to make domestic bliss = having children when they aren't even 25 or...at all? Way to pile on a totally incongruent message about gender norms in a show that is nominally ABOUT women's autonomy and strength. Aria not being able to have kids was the reason for the "I can't marry Ezra in the promo" like THAT is what makes her worth being with Ezra? And we were supposed to go all "awwww" when he was all supportive? I just. Christ. Like, I can't form complete sentences. I need to go set some things on fire.

Okay I'm back.

Can't stop, won't stop hating Emison. Haleb is usually the ship I can stand and like...why did we have to watch Caleb constantly fight about Mona with Hanna? Toby is the least offensive because he is boring. It was so painful.

Didn't realize there was a live chat!

• Love 9
(edited)

For the last time I will say:. This frickin show!!!

Aria's dramatic discovery of her inability to have children was such a cheesy soap opera trope. 

So Alex said that the Emison babies were fathered by Wren, right?   What was the point --why would he want to do that?

Wasnt that unnecessarily dangerous for Wren to shoot Alex from across the room, just so she would have a matching scar to Spencer's gunshot wound?  Especially a shot that had to land so near the upper chest and neck?   Methinks there would be an easier way to achieve the same effect.   

When they panned to the church at the end I was hoping for at least a triple wedding of Ezria, Emison, and Spoby, plus heck maybe even Haleb renewing vows.  

I can't even begin to sort out the half baked overlapping and overly tangled supposed motivations of Wren/Alex/Archer/Charlotte.  

The crap about PLL: Next Gen was a travesty (Maya's Niece??)  

i hope no network lets Marlene run a show ever ever again.    She took something that had promise and persistently ran it into the ground for years.  

35 minutes ago, AftermathTV said:

I heard that Alex apparently caused the deer crash and killed Yvonne?

I'm not sure if the Spoby shippers will even notice that they didn't really get together conclusively.

Maybe it was Alex in a really realistic deer mask.  

Edited by Rubyslippahz
  • Love 7

Well, that was... a finale.

I liked how much fun Troian was having playing the evil twin. I didn't like anything about the actual story line, mind you; I'm just glad that Troian got to wring a little bit more fun out of this crapfest of a show.

I also liked that Mona ended the series alive and well with a couple of fun new dolls. I was going to say that it was kind of perfect that the show ended on a closeup of her face, but then they had to add that stupid epilogue with PLL: The New Class and ruin it all.

• Love 4
(edited)

I can not believe they actually went there, Spencer’s twin & she built the entire outdoor/indoor house with grounds? What an incredibly stupid ending to this show. And how the hell did Mona get Mary Drake & Alex to France? Didn't they get arrested? I feel like I wasted 7 years, & they better not be planning on a PLL2.

Other than that:

What is up with Ali’s horrible wig? EDITED: I just started watching the reunion show, & I guess that's actually Sasha's hair. Yikes.

Loved the scene with the moms reminiscing about getting out of the basement.

There was more sex in this one episode than the entire 7 seasons combined, and there was waaay too much baby crap.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3

Wait...hold up.

Why did Alex make Spencer go visit Toby in the hospital?

Wouldn't she want real Spencer far away from her hunk of cheddar?

I guess Jenna and Toby are cool now because of Jenna's tip.

What was the point of AD kidnapping Jenna and Jenna's scene at the end of Playtime if she wasn't going to work with Alex?

Show even went out of its way to say Alex was blackmailing Sydney for something, instead of her helping for Jenna.

Ella is used to catfight with Dianne, when she could've shared a scene with her daughter and explained why Mike couldn't make it.

Also I'm pissed at how Lucas was used, there was a throwaway line at the beginning that made it seem like he made his money back, but he still only appeared in an odd snowglobe reality. Where the Liars ignored him and treated him like crud.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I still laugh at Aria having that Kin for all of two episodes before it crashed and burned and she was back to a regular phone. 

And then one of those regular phones finally burned...

• Love 2
(edited)

Just watched it (unfortunately only recently available in the UK). My thoughts as I watched:-

So, another time jump renders all the previous episodes, and everything that happened in them, utterly irrelevant. What was the point of sitting through the rest of this series? The couples are back together in their original iterations, and we must sit watching them for entire tedious chunks of the show.

Melissa returns as her usual non-entity red herring self, until they pull the most ridiculous and pointless Scooby-Doo mask reveal I have ever seen, and try to explain it away with “it was a test”; no, it was pointless bullshit. This mask nonsense essentially means that everything I watch between now and the final reveal is a complete waste of my time; it means the writers have no boundaries whatsoever, they have flushed the little remaining internal logic, reason and coherence, down the toilet.

The show proceeds onto a party. It took me a moment to remember who half these family members were, when they returned for the first time in years. For a while I was wondering why the hell that Charmed woman was in the show. I was also struck (once again) by the absence of any subtlety in the writing as demonstrated in the “history repeats” conversation between Emily and her students.

Then the twin shit does happen. We all knew it would, but I wanted to believe that the writers would rise above it. Spencer’s London accent is dodgy, it is not Dick-Van-Dyke levels of bad, but it is somewhere in the uncanny valley where it is off enough that it sounds weird. Parts of it she nails, but she has gone overboard with the glottal stops, and they sound forced, and of course no-one in London actually speaks in the exaggerated American version of Cockney (I’m from London).

Then the show enters a huge “twins” backstory that is completely perpendicular to everything we have seen, although we had all guessed it. This is the biggest deus ex machina yet, and a huge two fingers to the entire audience. I regularly complain about the bad writing, but relying upon this sort of contrivance is tantamount to treating your audience with utter disdain. At this point the writers are telling their audience they are such mindless sycophants that they will swallow whatever crap they are served, so the writers have double-downed on the crap, and served it with a crap topping and a side of crap.

The twins storyline drags on and on, and the whole time I am wondering “is this really it? There must be more, something- anything- else. This is terrible.” I am watching it on Netflix, and I am struggling to sit through it. Once again, I feel like I am being trolled by this show and its moronic show-runner, but trolling requires greater levels of intelligence. Only 20 minutes left… you can do it.

Hanna says: “Out of all the insane theories we’ve jumped to, Spencer having an evil twin…” This is supposed to be a tipped wink, a wry nod to the audience, a self-referential joke, but no; referencing your own ineptitude does not excuse bad writing. At this point the entire cast may as well look directly into the camera, shrug, and say “this finale is fucking awful, hehe.”

Oh God, it was joked about on here, but they did it! They actually did it! The -which twin to shoot- trope. Haha. Christ, this is beyond terrible.

I had incredibly low hopes for this finale, but it still sailed far, far beneath them. This was astonishingly bad.

Edited by Chinspinner
  • Love 13
(edited)
15 hours ago, GaT said:

And how the hell did Mona get Mary Drake & Alex to France? Didn't they get arrested?

No idea how she got them to France, but pretty sure the "cop" that came running in and "arrested" them that Mona said she called, was the guy she was kissing in France. Unclear if he was a real cop and she seduced him into helping her get them away, or the more likely but still ridiculous scenario of her having a fake cop standby ready to rush in and pretend to be a cop to help her steal Alex and Mary away before the real cops could do anything. How none of the other Liars realized Mary and Alex weren't in jail, I don't know.

Edited by colorbars
  • Love 6

OMG what did I just watch?

I can say I am mad about Aria's infertility plot. Plain stupid. Because yes, 3 doctors can say with 100% accuracy you can't have children. That can happen only if you don't have ovaries or uterus.

It angers me because we fight with the diagnoze of infertility (or how our doctor calls it, low fertility) and I am currently pregnant with my 2nd child (via ivf for both of them). So stupid plotline, because I'm annoyed how wrongly they show it

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

OMG what did I just watch?

I can say I am mad about Aria's infertility plot. Plain stupid. Because yes, 3 doctors can say with 100% accuracy you can't have children. That can happen only if you don't have ovaries or uterus.

It angers me because we fight with the diagnoze of infertility (or how our doctor calls it, low fertility) and I am currently pregnant with my 2nd child (via ivf for both of them). So stupid plotline, because I'm annoyed how wrongly they show it

I really don't understand why on top of Nicole, the predator report, and Ezra getting kidnapped....they felt the need to rob Aria of childbearing in order to create 5 minutes of will they/won't they drama.

It's no coincidence that Marlene wrote herself in as the person whose cell phone buzzes during the "any objections?" bit of the wedding. She thinks she's being clever by making a joke out of how many speed bumps she's responsible for making before the knot tie. 

Ezria fans are so un-sharp that I'm positive Marlene fooled at least a good half of them. Oh well, Aria's practice with Malcolm is the closest she'll ever get. Unless they adopt a baby from a mental institution.

• Love 3