Type keyword(s) to search

John Oliver: True Brit

• Start Topic

(edited)

John did a funny bit on The Bugle about running into a reporter from TMZ who asked him about his Net Neutraility story bringing down the FCC website.   He declined to put the story into a sound bite.  Then the reporter asked him "Can you tell me what the biggest problem facing America is?" to which John replied, "You're pretty much embodying it at the moment."

Edited by ALenore
  • Love 5

My sister and BIL saw him perform live in Oregon over the weekend. She said that he was hilarious, although they were saddled with an overly-enthusiastic fan sitting next to them who found everything just side-splittingly uproarious and expressed himself accordingly. She wanted to stuff a sock in his mouth so she could enjoy John in peace.

My sister and BIL saw him perform live in Oregon over the weekend. She said that he was hilarious, although they were saddled with an overly-enthusiastic fan sitting next to them who found everything just side-splittingly uproarious and expressed himself accordingly. She wanted to stuff a sock in his mouth so she could enjoy John in peace.

He is really great live, he does more stand up then what he does in the show. Though at my show it was mostly college students (including myself) and  one person asked a really awkward question, which he wasn't sure how to respond too lol.

Random, but I really appreciate John's nice colored shirts. Occasionally they're even checked! They add to his approachable charm.

The other male late night hosts invariably wear white shirts night after night, year after freaking year.

• Love 4

Bumping up in appreciation. I'm also worried about John and the load he's been carrying lately. I'm just waiting for the live one-hour episode. The first 55 minutes would be news clips followed by him shouting "FUCK!" The other five would be marble races, and all of the competitors would land inside John's throat.

Honestly, I never thought the British guy from The Daily Show would make it this far, riding the wave of bullshit we know and do not know. Also: Hamsters in thongs.

• Love 6

OMG, that "Golden Girls" Chia Pet. I'm dying XD. What the hell?

I can't even begin to imagine how intense a citizenship ceremony would be, yeah...and indeed, given recent circumstances, I understand his anxiousness. But it does sound like a lovely ceremony, too-would definitely be hard to not get emotional at some point :).

And this'll be his first election he gets to vote in, too? Ah, what timing :p. I love how excited he is about that, though. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

"'When do I at least get to have a go?!?!' Wait, what?" 

I'M DEAD XD. Oh, my god, that and the butler bit just killed me. I love the description of the e-mail his friend sent him...of all the ways to learn about this corner of the internet :p. 

That was fantastic, thanks for sharing that. Indeed, And yes, he's not far off in his description of those fics.. If I'd written a story like that and found out any of the people on the show read it, though, I think I'd go crawl into a cave and hide there for a good, long while. Jon and Stephen certainly had great fun on their respective shows in playing things up for fans of those two, though, so... 

(Also, shallow aside: he looks really good in that clip.)

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Wow. I'd been assuming maybe the two of them had actually fallen out. I guess not. 

5 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

Ollie stopped co-starring in the Bugle podcasts when he started Last Week Tonight. It became too much for him to continue with the Bugle.

And as far as him returning for a guest appearance is concerned I'd have to imagine that it's very difficult to pull off logistically with both of them having more schedule commitments than ever in addition to time zones, etc. One small consolation prize for 2020 is that there is a lot less travel, side projects, and promotional appearances, and that everyone has become quite adept at doing broadcast quality Zoom. Not sure that's a fair trade for everything else but we'll have to take what we can get.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Victor the Crab said:

Ollie stopped co-starring in the Bugle podcasts when he started Last Week Tonight. It became too much for him to continue with the Bugle.

Actually he continued on it after LWT for a while. That's why I thought they'd fallen out. Because Oliver DID try to do both but kept coming up short on time to do so. Andy referenced Oliver for a while after that (usually sarcastically), but later stopped doing so. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

This picture was on LWT's Facebook before the England/France World Cup quarterfinal with the message, "Good luck, John."

319352032_5468449923283972_5067954512724733619_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=RvSQ9Fj1bd8AX8SMCIv&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=00_AfBb9rY1J4bS-zhpv4z3x2llUe_8s4TcFKRxWeALyUQoZA&oe=639B3E4E

. . . .and here is the picture posted after the match:

318802403_5469067046555593_5688992038400366419_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=AJxwMFKFRxIAX-T1j83&tn=dG88KAPxBoLnKvtP&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=00_AfDU9rf4G2y3S31mUs7f6LSRsH8ryqVyxJWAMN8DRigIdQ&oe=639B0C61

Message: "Please send your best wishes to John, it is a rough day for him and his community"

He probably had pics for both outcomes. Given how his team hasn't won a World Cup since 1966, I can only imagine what the other one looked like. That's what AI art generators are for, I guess.

They didn't even make it to penalty kicks. Well, there was a penalty kick, but that was in regulation. It's a pity the show's off the air now. "We have time for a quick recap of week, which starts with this: FUCK YOU, HARRY KANE! You had it! You did it before, and you fucking launched it!!! See, this is one of the reasons I moved to the States. No one gives as much of a shit about football here. REAL FOOTBALL."

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 6
On 12/11/2022 at 1:55 AM, Lantern7 said:

This picture was on LWT's Facebook before the England/France World Cup quarterfinal with the message, "Good luck, John."

319352032_5468449923283972_5067954512724733619_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=RvSQ9Fj1bd8AX8SMCIv&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=00_AfBb9rY1J4bS-zhpv4z3x2llUe_8s4TcFKRxWeALyUQoZA&oe=639B3E4E

. . . .and here is the picture posted after the match:

318802403_5469067046555593_5688992038400366419_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=AJxwMFKFRxIAX-T1j83&tn=dG88KAPxBoLnKvtP&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=00_AfDU9rf4G2y3S31mUs7f6LSRsH8ryqVyxJWAMN8DRigIdQ&oe=639B0C61

Message: "Please send your best wishes to John, it is a rough day for him and his community"

He probably had pics for both outcomes. Given how his team hasn't won a World Cup since 1966, I can only imagine what the other one looked like. That's what AI art generators are for, I guess.

They didn't even make it to penalty kicks. Well, there was a penalty kick, but that was in regulation. It's a pity the show's off the air now. "We have time for a quick recap of week, which starts with this: FUCK YOU, HARRY KANE! You had it! You did it before, and you fucking launched it!!! See, this is one of the reasons I moved to the States. No one gives as much of a shit about football here. REAL FOOTBALL."

Crap, are the pics no longer there for you guys?

• Sad 2

Trying again . . . here’s John during England’s quarterfinal with France . . .

image.thumb.jpeg.f31ffdb400bad85ad8f2f684fe95f3cc.jpeg
Caption: “Good luck, John.”

. . . and here he is after his team was defeated.

318802403_5469067046555593_5688992038400366419_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=8oGYz23FFncAX_EpT1M&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=00_AfCiiyIeRotRoDdFVtkTQCIZJ-2KDPZgDjXEjZicKELRDw&oe=63D465A1
Caption: “Please send your best wishes to John, it is a rough day for him and his community ❤️

• Like 3