Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Riot FOMO

• Start Topic

As the standoff at the prison spirals into a full-blown riot, enterprising inmates take advantage of the confusion. Taystee confronts Caputo. 

Am I the only crazy one who checked this out? 

• Love 5
On Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 7:21 PM, Mya Stone said:

Am I the only crazy one who checked this out? 

Nope.  I'm on episode 6.  I'm surprised by how many inmates I've grown to hate this season tbh.  And the new guards are growing on me.  I know.  I know.  

As for this episode, holy crap!  Daya shot Humps in the um man area!  Bruh.  She's gotta be going to max, which is the most interesting she's been ever.  Red and Inmate who banged Diablo in front the old lady....the team I never asked for, but always wanted.

• Love 4
(edited)

Good start. Though how could Daya not know shooting somebody would put her in Max? I was hoping Caputo's prissy girlfriend and the Martha Stewart character would suffer a bit more. Who knocked Daya out? I hope the "tablesetting" guard didn't come back, if he does I want him to go down.

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 2

I've grown to really like Blanca and Maria. You can tell they're not truly evil or malicious; they've just been backed into a corner and lash out because it's all they know. Plus, they deliver - there's nothing worse than someone who struts around thinking they're tough, but can't put up when the time comes (cough, Piper).

The actresses who play Taystee and Black Cindy (my favorites of the cast, really) were phenomenal in this episode. Especially Danielle Brooks, she gave me chills in Kaputo's office.

I worry for Luschek, my other favorite. He's a dick, but I love the guy.

• Love 10

I know that I'm definitely going to have to do some minor research on last season, because there's still a bunch of stuff that I've forgotten about, especially when it comes to the guards (not Humps; I can never forget about Humps). So there were moments that definitely had me pause to remember the story.

I guess Daya really didn't consider that her actions would put her in Max. With everyone yelling at her to shoot the guy (because the others wouldn't get as punished because they didn't have the gun), she clearly had no idea of the consequences until Maritza pointed it out to her. It does make me feel sorry for her in a way, but I'm convinced that someone else will take the fall; probably Maria, from the looks of it. Or it could be someone completely different. 

I did feel bad for most of the guards. They're just there to do a job at the end of the day, and now they're in fear of their lives. I would not want anyone to be in their situation and even though I understand the inmates' reasoning, I also feel like this is the worst possible decision for all of them. 

I'm really here to see some of the worst offenders (both guards and inmates) get some karma for their actions. But I'm also here to see that my favourites don't choose too many bad choices that'll end up being worse for them.

I'm enjoying Taystee's potential for a storyline this season. I'm not a fan of Black Cindy so I'm not thrilled about her scenes. As long as she's a support for Taystee, then I'm happy. Also a good scene for Brooke; I guess we'll be seeing more of her grieving process.

I guess we're stuck with Piper, Alex, and Caputo's girlfriend who looks vaguely familiar. I guess if this is the continuation of a redemption arc for Piper, but I'm not jumping up and down to see more of her.

So, I guess the mystery of the season will be Who Has The Gun? I don't know when we'll see it next or who took it, but I have some guesses. 

• Love 3

This episode had me feeling every emotion from giddy(amusement at them actually showing dick hehe) to seriously sad( Taystee speaking about Poussey).

LOVED seeing Gloria and Sophia team up and be the only level headed ones, besides Piper and Alex.

Im gonna call Pennsatucky "Stockholm" from now on.

2 minutes ago, Indigo Luna said:

I don't know if it was supposed to be funny per say, but perhaps it was to just point out how MANY mass shootings there have been. 

Agreed.

I couldn't believe how many I remembered once I heard them. Sandy Hook and Charleston are seriously still haunting me.

• Love 7

I'm sorry for Daya, I don't think she can come back from that (shooting that guard) unless someone takes the fall for her. And this can only happen if both guards get killed. and all the witnesses keep their mouth shut., which doesn't seem likely (although I think Suzanne and her ex are going to beat that asshole to death). 

I'd like to see Caputo's gf getting what she deserves. I have forgotten lots of things about last season, but I remember that she was a horrible human being. 

The HR guy helping with the video was hilarious but wasn't he too calm, given the situation? If I were in his position, I would be worried, at least. People die in riots. Unless he's a psychopath, which wouldn't surprise me at all.

Poussey was a human sunshine and she deserves justice. I just don't want to see Taystee and the others in trouble. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Good start but OMG THAT ALARM WAS SO ANNOYING. I really did have trouble hearing like Caputo said.

Lorna: "It's like a party but terrifying!"

Not sure why Piper was so amorous. She was like that male guard who put his hand on his female coworker's shoulder. A riot doesn't seem like a good time for hanky panky.

Edit: I thought Daya was going to commit suicide at the end (after calling her mother to say goodbye) so I was actually glad she got hit over the head. 

Edited by DoubleUTeeEff
forgot to say
  • Love 3

Great start to the season. The chaos kept my eyes glued to the screen. I liked seeing how all the characters chose to spend their time during the riot (drug lock-up, commissary, library).

I really hope there is justice for Poussey.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Good start but OMG THAT ALARM WAS SO ANNOYING. I really did have trouble hearing like Caputo said.

Lorna: "It's like a party but terrifying!"

Not sure why Piper was so amorous. She was like that male guard who put his hand on his female coworker's shoulder. A riot doesn't seem like a good time for hanky panky.

Edit: I thought Daya was going to commit suicide at the end (after calling her mother to say goodbye) so I was actually glad she got hit over the head. 

I honestly thought she was going to do it as well. 
I was wondering why all the mass murders were being referenced, and I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be funny or just in a way remind us how this could have ended up. 

I don't know how Daya couldn't have realised she was going to end up in Max. but I really enjoyed the episode, but like others - minus the Piper/Alex. (and now lady in the black dress aka Ibreheim knows that they know something about the dead guard). 

• Love 1

the constant name dropping of massacres was odd.  I think the blaring alarm was a reference to Columbine also.  Apparently the fire alarm went on for hours at Columbine and when they reopened the school they had to change the sound of it because the sound of the old one was so strongly associated with the trauma for students.

• Love 1

First of all, I would like to mentioned that I did not, in ANY WAY, pirate this online as to spite Netflix because of how salty I am about the recent cancelation of a beloved television show. That is an untrue fact, and if you heard differently, they lied. Totally.

Anyway, not a bad start to the season, although I'm not sure how they're going to drag this out all season. I know its only going to be set in the same couple days, but its still a 13 episode season. I just don't know how long they can keep this going. 24 this is not. Also, its been awhile since I saw the last season, but aren't most of the awful guards not even there? Hump is the worst one, and he's down, but the blond chick was alright, and I don't really remember the two younger guys and the black guy. Were they psychos, or accomplishes to psychoses? Because it would be super annoying if the worst guards get away scot free, and ones that we know basically nothing about get their asses kicked.

I think the many references to mass shootings were a commentary on the many shootings that go on in the US. I thought it was a pretty poinient commentary on gun violence, but I'm not sure this was really a Gun Violence is Bad plot in and of itself. Hump was a dumbass and got shot with his own gun because he sucks.

I don't know why, but I laughed my head off at Maritza and the blond methhead beating up Hump all cheerfully. I think it was the delivery by the actress. I also loved the PR guy contributing to Tasteys PR campaign, and how he was actually starting to get into it.

I hope Caputos girlfriend gets hers. If anyone deserves to get held hostage in a prison riot, its her. She is AWFUL.

• Love 5
My favourite line was probably Boo's "Have fun storming the castle!" - love a Princess Bride quote

ITA – I loved that!

He was insanely handsome. I'm surprised the prisoners weren't looking for any and every excuse to go to medical any chance they could.

yeah, I agree with this, too. He also seems like a really nice guy and I liked him and Sophia together.

• Love 4
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:19 AM, WhosThatGirl said:

Aside from the Alex and Piper stuff, I loved this episode. All the crazy was amazing.

Piper mentioned she has only three months left.  Unless they invent yet another excuse to extend her prison stay, this has to be her last season on the show.  Her story is basically played out.  Season One started with her as the focus, and they even devoted screen time to her family and fiancé.  But with all the other characters springing up, that became too much of a distraction as it became an ensemble show.  That was probably the plan all along.

• Love 2
On 6/10/2017 at 2:34 PM, tennisgurl said:

Also, its been awhile since I saw the last season, but aren't most of the awful guards not even there? Hump is the worst one, and he's down, but the blond chick was alright, and I don't really remember the two younger guys and the black guy. Were they psychos, or accomplishes to psychoses? Because it would be super annoying if the worst guards get away scot free, and ones that we know basically nothing about get their asses kicked.

I agree. If I have to watch a season of the guards getting their comeuppance I'd like to see the guards who DESERVED the comeuppance and not some randos I've never seen before who I feel badly for since I don't know they're terrible. And while Luscheck wasn't great, he wasn't actively psycho either (to my recollection of him). 

• Love 5
On 6/10/2017 at 0:34 PM, tennisgurl said:

I think the many references to mass shootings were a commentary on the many shootings that go on in the US. I thought it was a pretty poinient commentary on gun violence, but I'm not sure this was really a Gun Violence is Bad plot in and of itself. Hump was a dumbass and got shot with his own gun because he sucks.

I think they were indeed commentary - and I found myself sad that I couldn't remember the details to a few of them. I found it, not exactly nuanced, but an interesting way to make the repeated point without taking away from the action and characters. I also thought that if I rewatched it, it is possible that the shooting each character referred to said something about that character.  But I'm too lazy to check it out.

Tennisgurl, I'm salty too - but I decided that punishing Netflix was punishing myself. Maybe it's weakness, maybe I've just moved on to the acceptance stage. ;)

• Love 1
(edited)

Watched this last night. With subtitles (good thing I'm a fast reader) and the sound muted after five minutes because the alarm itself wasn't nearly as annoying as being hit over the head by the cleverness of the show in making us listen to it (and in that case, why turn it off at all? Run it over the whole thirteen episodes, why not). We got your point right away, show, enough already. I still have a headache.

Everyone must already be superhungry. 

This has to be the biggest active cast in any show I've ever watched. Not good at keeping names straight but as soon as I'd see "oh, yeah, her" on screen, I'd remember her story arc. 

We watched the second episode right away and I'm also bad at keeping what happened in which episode straight, so won't add much more. I thought it was great and had sort of written this show off, so glad to see it reinvigorated. 

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 1
On 6/12/2017 at 10:12 AM, Dobian said:

Piper mentioned she has only three months left.  Unless they invent yet another excuse to extend her prison stay, this has to be her last season on the show.  Her story is basically played out.  Season One started with her as the focus, and they even devoted screen time to her family and fiancé.  But with all the other characters springing up, that became too much of a distraction as it became an ensemble show.  That was probably the plan all along.

I hope she stays around.  I like the Piper and Alex stuff this season so far.  And I think Schilling is funny, given good material.  I think they could have her released but still on the show, with connections to the prison besides being locked in it.  

On 6/12/2017 at 8:20 AM, Mrs OldManBalls said:

He was insanely handsome. I'm surprised the prisoners weren't looking for any and every excuse to go to medical any chance they could. 

I hope they keep him around because I also want to get more backstory and character development on him. He seemed astonishingly calm and astonishingly... non-prisony?-- the only character the show has ever had (except maybe the blonde female guard?) that didn't have any scent of corruption or dementedness and who seemed to be entirely unaffected by the prison atmosphere. Even basically sane and decent people on this show are impacted by the craziness of the prison (becoming depressed or otherwise traumatized) even if they aren't corrupt. So I liked seeing the nurse just present as totally untainted by any of it. I want to believe that there are at least a few people on the planet who are able to manage that, even though I can't imagine there'd be too many. I think it makes an interesting contrast with everyone else.

• Love 1
On 6/9/2017 at 2:04 AM, Armchair Critic said:

Though how could Daya not know shooting somebody would put her in Max?

She's always been fairly dim though. I can't say I feel bad for her. The scenes that drew me in the most were in Caputo's office. "And our best librarian". 

• Love 1

Super-late in watching.  Too many characters.  Not sure if I'll finish the season.

On 6/9/2017 at 7:05 AM, Lady Calypso said:

So, I guess the mystery of the season will be Who Has The Gun? I don't know when we'll see it next or who took it, but I have some guesses. 

Judging from the weapon Daya was hit with, my guess is Red.

On 6/10/2017 at 2:39 AM, pootlus said:

My favourite line was probably Boo's "Have fun storming the castle!" - love a Princess Bride quote.

Loved Pennsatucky's "What castle?"  LOL

I didn't think this episode would ever fucking end.  Oxycontin!  Random shit in the commisary?  Romance in a fucking prison riot?  FUCK OFF OITNB.

Jumped the shark.  Backflipped, triple-quadruple-lutz.

So stupid.