Type keyword(s) to search

Good Bones - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 9/28/2021 at 10:05 PM, CruiseDiva said:

What Karen did with that vanity/dresser was just ugly. A decent carpenter could have restored the piece with replacement doors on one side and drawers on the other, but what she did was a horrific piece of crap. It turned out dumpster worthy.

Otherwise, the house was okay except for using marble tile on a bathroom floor. That is very slippery tile even when it's not wet. I don't understand Mina's love for marble tile. It isn't appropriate for every use.

Yes, that's one of the reasons I dislike marble, plus it's also high maintenance.  Can you even get stains out of it?    There are a ton of look alike, porcelain tiles, for floors, and back splash, and they look just as good, if not better, than real marble.   Porcelain is no maintenance, bigger tile means fewer grout lines, and with the right grout (they make grout that won't stain or mildew), quicker to install, and zero work to maintain.  

I'm watching the rerun of the Italian Villa episode, and I still dislike everything about that big, plain box house.    The siding in various colors looks like they bought siding from the clearance section, and just put whatever type filled the space.    The mural leaves me cold.     And the Tad on the forklift while Austin ran items up to the second floor was ridiculous.   One of these days, some stupid stunt will end tragically, and it will be too late to act like sensible adults.    Also, I'm sure the buyers bought that house as a short term, furnished rental.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6

I thought it was odd that the historical commission could dictate what was done on the inside of the house.  Here in MA, I think they just care about the outside, as long as the appearance stays the same, you’re good.  Again, useless kitchen, and no where to sit at a table.

• Love 4

I really didn't like the Italian Villa episode, or the season finale with the two clueless flippers.   

Not all historical associations, or commissions are the same, or have the same rules.    So, who knows what rules the one on the show had.   I'm just amazed that the house next to the flip house had the colors, and style that it did.  

Historical association for that area has guidelines, and the guide has 139 pages, for commercial, and residential rules. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
On 10/1/2021 at 7:42 AM, MartyQui said:

Again, useless kitchen, and no where to sit at a table.

And, once again, no closet near the front door for coats and shoes.  This time, they didn't even put hooks on the wall behind the door, and instead propped up a useless ladder-thingie, like you would use to hang quilts.

• Love 5

The three story home reminded me of the monstrosities that Windy City Rehab threw up. Overblown, pretentious, with islands that you could park a semi on. Oh, and modern to the point of not matching the neighborhood, devoid of personality.

I see it's listed on Zillow:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/930-Elm-St-Indianapolis-IN-46203/1078455_zpid/?

There's also a Bates Hendricks house on Zillow that looks like it was probably done by Two Chicks. Call me crazy, but I prefer the smaller houses with character, not building homes to compete with Alison Victoria. 

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

The three story home reminded me of the monstrosities that Windy City Rehab threw up. Overblown, pretentious, with islands that you could park a semi on. Oh, and modern to the point of not matching the neighborhood, devoid of personality.

I see it's listed on Zillow:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/930-Elm-St-Indianapolis-IN-46203/1078455_zpid/?

There's also a Bates Hendricks house on Zillow that looks like it was probably done by Two Chicks. Call me crazy, but I prefer the smaller houses with character, not building homes to compete with Alison Victoria. 

This is the home they built for the director/producer guy and his family, right?  I hope it's a case of too much Mina dropping in time and not that his wife's health has taken a turn for the worse.

• Love 1

Yes, it's the producer's home, and he was moving wife and family to Indianapolis for the wife's surgeries, recoveries, and so he could live at home during the filming instead of commuting to L.A. every weekend.      Maybe he got another job, and left the show?   Or maybe a multistory with high ceilings was a bad choice unless they put an elevator in?    

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, it's the producer's home, and he was moving wife and family to Indianapolis for the wife's surgeries, recoveries, and so he could live at home during the filming instead of commuting to L.A. every weekend.      Maybe he got another job, and left the show?   Or maybe a multistory with high ceilings was a bad choice unless they put an elevator in?    

Maybe his wife simply didn't like living in Indianapolis? I would hate it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 9/23/2021 at 12:29 AM, LittleIggy said:

No kidding! Mina mentioned they could have dinner on the private balcony. Can you imagine having to haul food, drinks, etc, up there? A fancy grill setup would have been better than  the hot tub, IMO. 
Overall, I liked the house just have some nits to pick.

Regarding hauling food, I recently saw a home listing that featured an electric dumnwaiter that went from the basement to the kitchen.  I assume it was for hauling dishes and food.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Scatterbrained said:

I recently saw a home listing that featured an electric dumnwaiter that went from the basement to the kitchen.  I assume it was for hauling dishes and food.

I recently saw a Tiny Home show that had an electric dumbwaiter to take the dachshunds to the loft.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
On 11/9/2021 at 1:38 PM, deirdra said:

I recently saw a Tiny Home show that had an electric dumbwaiter to take the dachshunds to the loft.

I almost choked on my lunch. Thank you for the visual of tiny little weiner dogs riding up and down in a dumbwaiter.  Too funny.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

The construction company was just fined $40k, for lead paint violations on three homes from the show, Bates-Hendricks and Fountain square I think. 

https://news.yahoo.com/hgtv-show-good-bones-reaches-212037984.html

I've been iffy about watching any longer after the gigantic new build for the producer, after they kept saying his family would be living there.  That was on the market right after the show aired.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The construction company was just fined $40k, for lead paint violations on three homes from the show,

They're paying the fine even though they say they were compliant.  Obviously they were not. I always wondered about lead paint in these older homes on HGTV.  Are the shows that mention getting tests for lead paint or asbestos ones that have been caught being non-compliant in the past? Or just knowledgeable and careful renovators? Viewers are always interested in things that could drastically increase the cost of renos, which would make them think twice before starting one. Now if they could just get her idiot brother to stop smashing glass and mirrors on the lawn.  I also cringe whenever I see someone not wearing safety glasses during demo and wish HGTV would ban scenes showing unsafe practices.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 8

On Bob's Burgers tonight, Louise wanted to smash a mirror that someone had left out for free on the sidewalk. I immediately thought of Tad, which makes me think that the homebuyer probably has glass shards flying into all over the place every time their lawnmower goes over the part of the yard where Tad kicked that mirror.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, deirdra said:

They're paying the fine even though they say they were compliant.  Obviously they were not. I always wondered about lead paint in these older homes on HGTV.  Are the shows that mention getting tests for lead paint or asbestos ones that have been caught being non-compliant in the past? Or just knowledgeable and careful renovators? Viewers are always interested in things that could drastically increase the cost of renos, which would make them think twice before starting one. Now if they could just get her idiot brother to stop smashing glass and mirrors on the lawn.  I also cringe whenever I see someone not wearing safety glasses during demo and wish HGTV would ban scenes showing unsafe practices.

Other shows have been caught with the lead paint issue, like a certain couple in Texas, but that was much smaller than this.     On Home Town, Ben and Erin said they test all of the paint for lead, and floors and other places for asbestos, and remediate when they find it.   

However, I don't think Good Bones admitting to three houses where violations happened is realistic.   I don't think they change their practices on the remodels, so I bet the three they were fined for are just the tip of the iceberg.   

I'm also tired of smashing mirrors and glass, just to destroy things.    The times when their house demo hits the neighboring house are appalling.    Often, it's a house they already own, so it's no big deal to them.   Everything's a joke to them, and I'm sick of it.     This show has jumped the shark, and I'm not even caring when they come back for the next season. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Can anyone confirm? Are they playing these episodes on Magnolia first then back on HGTV later? That seems to be what is happening on Barn wood Builders, the newest episodes are trickling in.

6 hours ago, sadtvjunkie said:

Can anyone confirm? Are they playing these episodes on Magnolia first then back on HGTV later? That seems to be what is happening on Barn wood Builders, the newest episodes are trickling in.

Barnwood Builders used to be on DIY which is the channel Magnolia replaced and they renewed several former DIY shows like Maine Cabin Masters, Bargain Mansions, Restoring Galveston and Barnwood Builders.

• Useful 1

Yeah, Sewlitaire is correct.  Barnwood Builders isn't on HGTV. It was a DIY Network show, but Magnolia has kept it.

Fortunately Magnolia has kept several other DIY Network shows.  Sometimes HGTV would replay a DIY show - I know they did that with Bargain Mansions and maybe some of the Holmes shows - but I'm not sure how much crossover there will be with MAGN and HGTV now.

You can find the list of HGTV shows on their website: https://www.hgtv.com/shows

and this is where you can find the Magnolia Network shows: https://magnolia.com/watch/shows/all/

I absolutely love the show and am totally addicted to it, but it bothers me a looot when they use the adjective “masculine” to define a house positively and “feminine” to define a limiting and weak decoration. I think it’s more than about time to stop using this kind of language in decoration. 
Call me whatever you want, but the way we use language says a lot about how we think and men need to man up and be able to live in a fucking pink house and sleep in god damn flowered bedding without feeling emasculated! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

If viewers are lucky: never

I agree.   I'm tired of a show changing over the seasons, and what was once buying houses falling down, and abandoned, now is becoming $300k and up new builds that are huge, modern, and trendy.   

I was over this show after they built the giant house for the show producer or director of the show, for his family to move there.   House was well over $500k, and was on the market right after the show aired. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

there was another show on HDTV (I can't remember the name) but the female "renovator" made a real point of saving any and all architectural details in the old houses she fixed up. I enjoyed that one. It did seem like there wasn't much saved lately in Good Bones.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, dleighg said:

there was another show on HDTV (I can't remember the name) but the female "renovator" made a real point of saving any and all architectural details in the old houses she fixed up. I enjoyed that one. It did seem like there wasn't much saved lately in Good Bones.

Was it Rehab Addict?    She had a recent season of episodes where she helped homeowners fix up vintage houses.   

• Love 1

I still enjoy watching the renovation process on Good Bones although I think Mina started over designing in the last few seasons.  I have been bored so watching some early seasons recently and had forgotten what wretched houses they bought and how nicely they were done after the fact.  I think these shows (and these rehab people) kind of become a victim of their own success.  People start emulating them and it drives the prices up.

I liked Rehab Addict also.  

• Love 4

Tamara Day on Bargain Mansions also likes to fix old houses.  Most of hers tend to be old, historic homes, but a bigger budget, too.  Then there's Brett Waterman, on Restored.  He's an old house connoisseur, and goes to great lengths to restore period features and detail. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, izabella said:

Tamara Day on Bargain Mansions also likes to fix old houses.  

I don't think "fix" is the right word to describe what she does to those beautiful houses.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I don't think "fix" is the right word to describe what she does to those beautiful houses.

I read a short interview with someone who had a house featured on that show.   They were already rehabbing the house, the production crew just filmed scenes as if the host was doing the work or making decisions, but everything was done by the original homeowner or flipper.   

• Useful 4
44 minutes ago, Scatterbrained said:

the half aqua closet doors

That is really ugly. I also don't understand the point of putting a double sink into a small vanity. Where on earth do the two people put their "stuff"? There's no counter space!

"But it's a double sink!!!!"

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, dleighg said:

That is really ugly. I also don't understand the point of putting a double sink into a small vanity. Where on earth do the two people put their "stuff"? There's no counter space!

How do you not bump your elbows into the walls using those sinks?

• Like 1
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Yes, do either a single sink, or take out the linen cart area, make the counter top go wall-to-wall, and have little shelves on the left side under the counter top, so you have counter space, and storage for towels.     I bet the garage is meant for renting out, probably during the legisative term, or other seasonal high-income times.   

• Love 1
(edited)

Is that "lawn" a faux-grass carpet that they can roll up after it's sold and take to their next project?  They didn't even flatten the wrinkles or try to hide the seams.

That "copper" roof on the turret looks cheap and out of place. But at least they didn't use their usual 4"x4" raw wood w/knots "column" to hold up the corner of the front porch.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, MsTree said:

Meaning what? Nip & tuck?? Enquiring minds need to know 😉

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10380619/HGTV-star-Mina-Starsiak-Hawk-shows-six-month-weight-loss-hits-online-troll.html     (It's called a Mommy Makeover, she also posted that she lost a bunch of weight.)

I admit daily mail isn't a great source, but they do have all of the dirt.     

Karen has also been having the Vampire facial treatments too.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Thanks 3

My opinion is if a woman wants to feel better about herself and can afford to have a "nip and tuck" then more power to her.  She went through the wringer and back in her efforts to get pregnant and if she's now done with that and putting in the work to be healthy then go for it.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

That's fine and good, and if I had the money, I'd order a whole new body. It's that the arguing on social media with her "haters" is just childish. She could just not respond.

And literally none of this is "news", Daily Mail.

• Love 2

Season 7 episode 1, Fountain Square, purchased for $130k, currently 3 bed 1 bath, for a potential 4 bedroom house, with 2.5 bath, and 2 car garage, for a house where the sales price will be $400k.   I know prices in Indianapolis have soared, but $400k!   

I can't believe no one turned the gas off before demo started.  

I hate how they smash windows and mirrors for fun.    I would be livid if I bought a house, and every time the lawn was mowed there were glass shards flying around.   

House was nice enough, but just under $500k for a selling price!

• Love 3

I actually liked most of the changes they did in this house, and especially that they added a garage.  A lot of times I feel like Mina "overdesigns" the homes but this time (perhaps because she already had a potential buyer) she seemed to restrain herself.  I wasn't a huge fan of the metal staircase railings (I didn't like them when they did them previously so maybe that's just a "me" thing) and the metal bookshelves everywhere (do these stay with the house since they were designed specifically for it or do they get dumped in the storage unit with the rest of the stuff?) but I liked the house in general.

• Love 1
(edited)

Season 7, episode 1 (Quaint Cottage w/Vintage Vibes).  Two of Mina's coats looked like bathrobes!   In fact, I am not convinced that they are not.   One was the grey wrap coat/bathrobe when they went to Design Co which looked exactly like one of my bathrobes and the other was the pink/purple coat/bathrobe at the end.  

Edited by MrPissyPuppy
  • LOL 3
On 7/13/2022 at 8:44 AM, RoxiP said:

I actually liked most of the changes they did in this house, and especially that they added a garage.  A lot of times I feel like Mina "overdesigns" the homes but this time (perhaps because she already had a potential buyer) she seemed to restrain herself.  I wasn't a huge fan of the metal staircase railings (I didn't like them when they did them previously so maybe that's just a "me" thing) and the metal bookshelves everywhere (do these stay with the house since they were designed specifically for it or do they get dumped in the storage unit with the rest of the stuff?) but I liked the house in general.

Good point about a buyer already lined up, and doing what they want. I think having a client who wants the house happens a lot more than the shows admit. 

• Like 1