Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: On the Road

• Start Topic

The instant Dexy's Midnight Runners started playing, I knew all three would be singing along before the song ended.

If the Saint of Killers can unerringly zero in on Custer's location regardless of how much of a head start the latter gets (and the way Tulip drives it ought to be quite a bit from even someone tireless following on foot) or what side trips he's made in the interim, why bother asking the people he runs across where Custer is? He clearly doesn't actually need the information from them.

• Love 7

Preacher's back and it's still as violent and nutty as ever!  It is somehow extremely violent and yet comical at the same time.  I did feel bad for the state troopers that were in the Saint of Killers' path to Jesse.  Especially the one with a surprisingly good singing voice.

Definitely feels like they are setting it up with Jesse relying on Genesis/The Voice way too much, and it potentially causing problems farther down the road.  Tulip certainly isn't happy about it.

Always great seeing Glenn Morshower.  I approve of this recent trend of having play characters other then cops or military guys.  He recently played a criminal scumbag on Bloodline and he got to be an, err, "eccentric" preacher here!

Cassidy is really going to need to find other ways to block the sunlight, because an umbrella isn't going to likely cut it for long.

I wonder how long they are going to keep the trio from finding out what happened to Annville.

So, other then the main trio, the Saint of Killers, and Arseface, it seems like the rest of the first season cast is gone, and I did notice a few new names in the credits. It looks like Noah Taylor and Julie Ann Emery (Betsy from Better Call Saul!) will be showing up.  Can't wait to see who they play.

This season should be a blast.  And very bloody.

• Love 7

"SAINT OF KILLERS." Nooooooooooooow we're talking. After an entire season stuck in Anvil Annville, we need some straight-from-canon fan service. Bring on the bald guy. The old lady can wait, though. She was scary.

With American Gods done with its first season, we need a show based on an offbeat comic written by somebody from the UK. I know that Garth Ennis wouldn't usually be put in the same class as Neil Gaiman, but at his peak, his shit is good. And since we'll probably never have a Hitman series, I happily accept Preacher. God likes jazz instead of gals? Sure . . . why not?

When I was a kid, I maced myself. Did not know what I was getting into, and I wouldn't repeat that. As much as I'd like to not quote Daniel Tosh, "Satan's money shot" is really apt. The thought of  spraying that on my nuts? OW.

Gotta remember the show airs on Monday. Record that and the after show (just for this week?) while I'm watching American Ninja Warrior.

I'm happy with the dedication to Steve Dillon at the end.

• Love 2

"Terrible song." "Yeah, complete shite." (everybody) "Come On Eileen..." Too funny.

I'll never be able to think about siphoning gas in the same way again.

God goes to strip clubs for the jazz. I can buy that. Some towns just don't have jazz clubs.

This Saint of Killers fellow looks familiar. He kills everyone. He can't be avoided. In this episode he can't be commanded. In the preview we see that he can't be killed. Fantasy literature has any number of examples of similar invulnerable, unavoidable, unstoppable baddies, and they're all delt with in the exact same way. I suspect that's how things with the Saint will end up:

Spoiler

Killed with his own magic weapon.

(Spoilerized, just in case anyone isn't already familiar with the trope.)

22 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

When I was a kid, I maced myself. Did not know what I was getting into, and I wouldn't repeat that. As much as I'd like to not quote Daniel Tosh, "Satan's money shot" is really apt. The thought og spraying that on my nuts? OW.

I did the same thing as a young'n with an electric handheld stunner. Apparently birds of a feather watch Preacher together.

• Love 4

Did they use original footage from the 1979 Mad Max chase sequence? Or did they shoot it to look like it? Because it looked nearly identical, shot for shot, if memory serves.

Weird, wacky, and bloody. I like it!

• Love 3

Squeeeee! I am so excited that this show is back. It is seriously the best show on TV right now. 

That opener. Damn. That was some good stuff right there. Cassidy is truly my soulmate. Last season he was voicing my exact thoughts on the highly overrated Big Lebowski, and this season he's expressing his aversion to circumcision. Love you, Cassidy! Don't ever change. And then...AND THEN....a car chase to "Come on, Eileen"? Could it get any better? I was actually dancing and singing and laughing my ass off, to the point where I was afraid the kids would wake up. Such a fun show!

I just really love all 3 main characters and the dynamics between them. I am getting such a kick out of Tulip and Jesse constantly debating whether he should use Genesis or not. "Smokey brain hand" - bahahahha! 

I just hope Cassidy doesn't become a total 3rd wheel, like Carlos, and they fall out over it. 

So God loves Jazz, eh? Next stop? Pawnee,IN to see Duke Silver!

I totally wasn't expecting Preacher Mike to off himself. Damn. I wonder who's going to let Ashley out so she can get her Twitter back? 

So Gensis doesn't work on The Saint of Killers. We know Jesse is going to get out of this. But how?

7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Cassidy is really going to need to find other ways to block the sunlight, because an umbrella isn't going to likely cut it for long.

Agreed. He just needs a trench coat and some sunglasses, gloves, etc. I know he'll get hot, but you can't rely on your hands all the time with that damn umbrella. 

7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Julie Ann Emery (Betsy from Better Call Saul!

She was Vern's wife in the first Fargo too. She's great! I can't wait to see who she plays either. 

2 hours ago, talktalk said:

Why can't the killer be commanded? Isn't the genesis almighty? How come it does not work on the killer?

Genesis isn't God. It's the baby of a demon and an angel. It's supposed to be kept in a coffee can for eternity, but two angels let it escape last season and it made its way to earth. I am still puzzled why it doesn't work on SOK. Maybe because he's technically dead? 

• Love 6

I love this show.

Paraphrasing here - 

Tulip:  "You're not supposed to touch the girls."

Cassidy:  "I can touch them for three seconds.  It's the three second rule."

Tulip:  "The three second rule applies to food."

Me:  "Well technically to Cassidy humans are food."

• Love 11
(edited)

Really good start! Its really funny in a dark way. Couple times i laughed and felt bad at the same time. Like the guy still singing after being shot and the guy still pretending preacher wasnt there. I guess tulip is right about genesis. But i did find it funny that she thought beating an old lady would be better than using it.

Its gotta suck for cassidy to be around tulip and jesse all the time both cause he feels guilty and cause he still wants her (which probably makes him feel more guilty). Them all being in the same bed was all kinds of messed up but again hilarious.

No complaints from me about this show its perfect the way it is! Usually i have a few i guess thoughts about how it could be better but nope!

I cant wait for tonight

Spoiler

Fiore!

Edited by Doyounot
People maybe didnt see promos
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, Shriekingeel said:

I'm pretty sure Supernatural's "Colt that kills everything" was lifted straight from the SoK. 

So is supernatural just a mix of constantine and preacher then? Cause if so i may have to give it another shot (watched first handful didnt like it)

35 minutes ago, Shriekingeel said:

I'm pretty sure Supernatural's "Colt that kills everything" was lifted straight from the SoK. 

I thought that was based off the Ace of Winchesters from the epic "Ace of Killers" arc in Hitman, which was written by Garth Ennis. I reckon the Saint is just too ornery to miss.

(edited)
14 hours ago, ghoulina said:
16 hours ago, talktalk said:

Why can't the killer be commanded? Isn't the genesis almighty? How come it does not work on the killer?

Genesis isn't God. It's the baby of a demon and an angel. It's supposed to be kept in a coffee can for eternity, but two angels let it escape last season and it made its way to earth. I am still puzzled why it doesn't work on SOK. Maybe because he's technically dead? 

Also because the show would be over if you meet the main villain and dispatched him with literally once sentence. Every superpower has its weakness though. 

I'm not a fan of this seeming 'first season is setup where one thing happens' style of tv writing, so I'm glad something is happening now. 

Behold, The Amazing Ganesh!

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Doyounot said:

But i did find it funny that she thought beating an old lady would be better than using it.

Reveal hidden contents

Fiore!

I gotta side with Tulip about that. Not that I'd be a fan of getting beaten up for information, but I think in the long term that would be a lot easier to deal with than having my free will stripped away at someone else's command.

• Love 3
On 6/25/2017 at 11:02 PM, Bruinsfan said:

The instant Dexy's Midnight Runners started playing, I knew all three would be singing along before the song ended.

If the Saint of Killers can unerringly zero in on Custer's location regardless of how much of a head start the latter gets (and the way Tulip drives it ought to be quite a bit from even someone tireless following on foot) or what side trips he's made in the interim, why bother asking the people he runs across where Custer is? He clearly doesn't actually need the information from them.

He kind of does.  When Jesse uses Genesis, the Saint can apparently know exactly where he is during the moment he's using it.  Presumably the Saint moves immediately toward that location, though it takes him time to get there even with some kind of "faster than he appears" Jason Vorhees walking (no matter how fun the topless teens run, Jason never seems to go faster than a power walk and yet always catches an machetes them.  Like that).  However the Saint only knows where Jesse was during the instants he uses the power.  So once he gets on the scene of the Genesis use, the Saint tries to interrogate those present to find out where Jesse was going.  Most people don't know.  Glenn Morshower's character knew, but being a baddass, killed himself instead of helping the Saint.  I kind of hope he let the girl out of the cage first, though.

• Love 4

Well, they didn't hold back on the opening, did they? Goodness me. Come on, Eileen!

Gotta say, that was, 100% the classiest strip joint I've ever seen. Stripping to jazz must be very time consuming, though. It would take fifteen minutes just to unhook your bra! I feel bad for Tammy; of all the jazz strip joints in all the towns in all the world, God had to walk into hers. I wonder how many warnings Jesse will ignore? She straight up told him; God's not going to answer your questions. 

(Also enjoyed Cassidy setting a new world record for groping a stripper/fighting the bouncers/getting the owner killed in the background.) 

Cassidy is doing a bang up job at being hopelessly puppy loved over Tulip and reminding you he's a bag of cat-eating shite.  Tulip is doing a bang up job at putting up with these idiots, having bra wearing hot sex, and trying to convince Jesse that Genesis shouldn't be the weapon of first resort. Because every time he uses it, even with the most basic or innocent of intentions, he touches off a bloodbath! That guy at the gas station? Jesse told him to "pretend you never saw us" because A) he was desperate and worried and didn't want to deal, but B) he also wanted to not get that guy caught up in their shit. Hey, just say you never saw us and you're golden, right? Wrong. To be fair, Jesse didn't know who/what was after them at that point, but that didn't stop that guy and later, his friend from getting killed/committing suicide to protect him. 

• Love 2

I loved the bit at the start with them having the weird conversation about baby foreskins.  That was probably one of the most real moments in the show.  Just on a long trip together and you wind up talking about the Goddamdest things as your passing the time.

• Love 3
On 6/27/2017 at 4:40 PM, johntfs said:

He kind of does.  When Jesse uses Genesis, the Saint can apparently know exactly where he is during the moment he's using it.  Presumably the Saint moves immediately toward that location, though it takes him time to get there even with some kind of "faster than he appears" Jason Vorhees walking (no matter how fun the topless teens run, Jason never seems to go faster than a power walk and yet always catches an machetes them.  Like that).  However the Saint only knows where Jesse was during the instants he uses the power.  So once he gets on the scene of the Genesis use, the Saint tries to interrogate those present to find out where Jesse was going.  Most people don't know.  Glenn Morshower's character knew, but being a baddass, killed himself instead of helping the Saint.  I kind of hope he let the girl out of the cage first, though.

I came here to post the same thing, do you think he let the girl go before the Saint fot there? Or do you think she's still locked up? I think she's locked up still. Is there a Talking Preacher show? Did they address it? Its something I think Chris Hardwick would notice....

I loved the opening, and was thankful they didnt show Tulip with the intenstine filling up gas. I did love Cassidy helping her with getting the taste out of her mouth. I never read the comic bc I'm assuminh Jesse/Tulip are endgame? Because I really love Cassidy/Tulip...

3 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

I loved the opening, and was thankful they didnt show Tulip with the intenstine filling up gas. I did love Cassidy helping her with getting the taste out of her mouth. I never read the comic bc I'm assuminh Jesse/Tulip are endgame? Because I really love Cassidy/Tulip...

What I found hilarious is that Cassidy was clearly offering some life experience there.  I was like, "How do you even know to combine those two things?  You know what, never mind!"  There is so much potential for zany flashbacks and random knowledge from his 100+ years.

I, too, see Jesse/Tulip as endgame, but would be totally down with an OT3 situation.  I just need for Cassidy to have higher standards for himself.  Jesse was his "best mate" after one conversation and barfight (where he came to Jesse's aid), and Tulip angry-shagging him in the back of her car was "making love."  Granted the affection and loyalty among them has grown and been proven since then, but gee, Cass, you deserve more than the bare minimum!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, netlyon2 said:

What I found hilarious is that Cassidy was clearly offering some life experience there.  I was like, "How do you even know to combine those two things?  You know what, never mind!"  There is so much potential for zany flashbacks and random knowledge from his 100+ years.

I love that where most shows would use a vampire to showcase historical times or people ("yes, I remember, that's when I had that really long weekend with Oscar Wilde") this show figures that Cassidy has learned a lot of weird but useful stuff in his life(unlife?).  When you live on blood(body fluids?) you have a pretty good chance of having some really disgusting tastes in your mouth.  So, yes, Cassidy would have learned that hot sauce and Yoohoo can cleanse your palette of almost anything.

• Love 1

It certainly is violent, I wouldn't mind more talk and human interaction and story and a tad less of the gore. 

Still, I loved it. Except for the eating the cat part. I would much rather see Cassidy kill a deserving human or if he has to go animal, a rat or something. Being an extreme animal lover, I had to stop myself from deleting the show and then I stopped myself. Human gore and death I can stomach but not an  animal. I realize this sounds nuts to some people. It's only a TV show but I hope we don't see more of that. 

• Love 2