Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E23: Lian Yu

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

The battle between Oliver and Adrian Chase culminates in a final epic battle on Lian Yu, as Season 5 ends. Oliver recruits a group of unlikely allies, Slade, Nyssa, Merlyn and Digger Harkness, to defeat Chase. However, Chase has his own army that includes Black Siren, Evelyn Sharp and Talia al Ghul.

And it ends with...KABOOM!  All over the place!

All because he needed the save "the son he never knew he had." And not the 20 other people that he's known a lot longer. 

Oh show.  I can't quit ye. 

• Love 9
Just now, mtlchick said:

And it ends with...KABOOM!  All over the place!

All because he needed the save "the son he never knew he had." And not the 20 other people that he's known a lot longer. 

Oh show.  I can't quit ye. 

Except Oliver thought he'd figured out how to save the kid and the people on the island by going for the flesh wound that left Chase alive.  So he was choosing to save them all.  He just once again didn't secure the prisoner.  

• Love 12

It wasn't a bad finale, just a very rushed one. 

Everyone really got something to do which was great, it was all just "you get 1 min, you get 1 min, everybody gets a min"

Besides the pacing, I think the only thing that disappointed me was that Quentin wasn't put in danger for Siren to save him. I am fine with everything else that happened with her in the episode. Her and Dinahs fight was GREAT. Their scream was GREAT.

But now we have to wait 5 months to most likely get a REALLY lack luster explanation as to how everyone got off the island. That's a lot of people to survive an exploding island.

• Love 4
(edited)

My only concern is that Samantha's awful ass lives. Please, please baby show Jesus, let her live. 

Other than that I thought it was kinda a dud? Not awful, but not great - all the stuff that should've been awesome was just ticked off on a check box. Even though I hate the idea of William there should've been at least some kind of something with him finding out who his dad is? How lame.

I did enjoy seeing Laurel take every imaginable L though - that never gets old.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 21

Calling it now, Black Siren helped get Team Arrow off the island.

Can we get Slade and Nyssa as regulars next season?  That would be amazing.  Good to see that Slade is getting back to where he was pre-Miarkuru.  The island brothers are back.

Wasn't a fan of Felicity still complaining about having no say in William being sent away.  That decision was made by William's mother and father, Felicity shouldn't have had a say in it.

See Flash, this was a good finale.

• Love 4

Also, if only I gave a crap about William, that might have worked for me but I don't and it didn't. I'm getting real tired of this "blood family above everything" bullshit, too. 

(edited)

Well the good stuff.  BS was glorified wallpaper, got her ass beat by Lance and Lance named Dinah Black Canary LOL. Yeah, tell me again how much they love and wanted KC back on the show.  Bahahahah ??

I loved all things Slade. I was really worried he was going to die to save William. The Slade/Oliver friendship was a favorite of mine in S1/2 so I'm glad they're back.

I worried about Nyssa vs Talia but that's ok for now.

Hated all the William stuff, i think he's sticking around.

Lots of fates left up in the air but we pretty much know who lives/dies.

Honestly  it even sure what they hype was about, S1 and S2 finaleswere better IMO.

WTF things: MM did NOT know Thea was his kid until S2, FED. Stop acting like he was her secret loving protecting dad. Stupid show.

BS claiming that Dinah was replacing her?! Yeah, totally meta but, not what happened in show BS so from E2, no Team Arrow 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 15
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

Surprise twist: everyone does die on the island and next season, the other Earth versions of the characters come back. But surprise, surprise twist: they're not all from the same Earths.

Or maybe we get a Lost spin off: Lian Yu. Everyone spends 5 years trying to get off the island only to find out they've been dead all the time and just running around in circles.

• Love 5

I don't think Malcolm is dead yet. I predict he found a way to squirrel Team Arrow and Co somewhere safe and he'll fly them off the island. I'll be disappointed if that  really is how Malcolm goes out.

Also, is it a CW mandate to kill off potentially half the cast of a show for it's cliffhangers now?

• Love 7
Just now, Morrigan2575 said:

Well the good stuff.  BS was glorified wallpaper, got her ads beat by Lance and Lance named Dinah Black Canary LOL. Yeah, tell me again how much the love and wanted KC back on the show.  Bahahahah ??

If that's what you call getting your ads beat....I want to see what kind of fights you grew up watching lol

(edited)

One again I feel like the press and their screeners overhyped everything? IDK, I felt like 70% of that was kinda meh and had no real substance. It was okay but it didn't wow me until the final 15 minutes tbh. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)

I have to say this was probably my least favorite finale. It was too disjointed.  Too many players. Too many dull fights.  The emotional beats never lasted long enough (except with Moira) to make them really work. I thought Dig was suppose to have a substantial part?   No real teamy moments.  It was very much Oliver going it alone with guest stars.  

I didn't HATE it but I'm feeling whelmed.  Not over, not under, just, meh. 

On the plus side if Evelyn was still in that cage, at least she's dead now.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 20
Just now, Primal Slayer said:

Or maybe we get a Lost spin off: Lian Yu. Everyone spends 5 years trying to get off the island only to find out they've been dead all the time and just running around in circles.

Pet peeve. That is literally not what happened. LOL But we can fight about that in another thread!

• Love 13
1 minute ago, KenyaJ said:

This show has done a lot of dumb shit over the years, but, by far, killing off Moira was the dumbest thing it's ever done. Susanna Thompson is amazing and brings so much emotion, gravitas, and meaningfulness to the show. I miss her desperately.

WORD! That scene with ST was the best of the entire episode, and I highly doubt there was another actor on the other end of that phone. 

I guess I enjoyed it. I think I expected more from the early reviews. I don't really care that the island got blown up - I don't for a single second think everyone is dead. MySon was unable to act convincingly and he didn't even say a word. I also wasn't feeling too emotional over MM's death, either. Plus, he's The Magician. I fully expect to see him at some vague point in the future. 

However, Nyssa was awesomesauce as per usual, and I give Quentin MVP for knocking out that doppelganger. 

Overall, even though I truly liked it, hanging the entire episode and season long story line on a kid no one cares about was a big mistake for me. There was no emotional investment in his well-being. If he had been dead, I wouldn't have cared. So, fail on that end. I did like several of the character moments, though, and even liked that they sort of shot the big fight like The Avengers movies where each person/team gets a focus before smoothly transitioning to the next fight. 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

I don't think Malcolm is dead yet. I predict he found a way to squirrel Team Arrow and Co somewhere safe and he'll fly them off the island. I'll be disappointed if that  really is how Malcolm goes out.

Also, is it a CW mandate to kill off potentially half the cast of a show for it's cliffhangers now?

What I imagine is that the grabbed Digger and put him on the bomb as he did with Thea. Told Digger not to move while he ran away. Digger hesitated but was like "imma call yo bluff" and then BAM! Merlyn lives. Maybe loses a leg this time.

• Love 7
(edited)

The cliffhanger was ... meh? I'm not worried. The magical portal that allows them to travel wherever they need to in a short period of time is going to get everyone from one side of the island to another in time to be off the island before the explosion.

(Although, I'm thinking after thinking Felicity could be dead, Oliver's going to go from agreeing to "one step at a time" to "so that, one step at a time is down the aisle getting married right now, right?")

Why am I not surprised that they doubled down on "Oliver forgets about everyone else when his son pops up for his annual kidnapping"? Please send William and Samantha off to another Earth.

I can't stand Samantha at all. I can't help but think of other moments we could've gotten in the episode without her around.

We didn't see Malcolm's death, so I won't be surprised if he pops up in the future, somehow alive. Even without getting to the boat everyone else is going to and blowing up the island.

Loved the Olicity, loved the Felicity/Thea conversation, loved Lance knocking out Black Siren. Loved seeing Moira again.

Did not think it was this great finale that people were saying it was all day. 

No OTA scene. No Felicity/Diggle. 

Should've been 2 hours. Everything was too rushed. So very rushed. 

Edited by insomniadreams88
  • Love 13
Just now, BkWurm1 said:

I have to say this was probably my least favorite finale. It was too disjointed.  Too many players. Too many dull fights.  I thought Dig was suppose to have a substantial part?   No real teamy moments.  It was very much Oliver going it alone with guest stars. 

On the plus side if Evelyn was still in that cage, at least she's dead now.  

How does it rank in comparison to the Supergirl finale?

Because I loved that finale! 

This is sounding kind of lame to be honest. Does Oliver spend most of it crowing about the boy?

Malcolm's "death" was so underwhelming to the point where I'm not convinced he's even dead.

(edited)
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

Does Oliver spend most of it crowing about the boy?

Yes, more than even I thought he would, that's actually all he talks about except one Olicity moment and one Thea moment.

I was promised Diggle! Where was he? He had less to do than Lance or Thea or Dinah.

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 4
Just now, leopardprint said:

Yes, more than ven I thought he would.

Hmm maybe I'll just watch the Olicity scene and the Thealicity scene

Does Felicity even do anything useful in this finale? She's normally so active in the other ones.

Moira was the only thing that had any resonance in this episode. Seriously she is the best thing the show ever discarded. Looking back probably the start of their narrative downfall.

Question - is the first 30 min, even worth watching???

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Malcolm's "death" was so underwhelming to the point where I'm not convinced he's even dead.

Yeah, I wanna see that script page and see if it says he dies or not. Barrowman you bastard getting my hopes up!

• Love 2
Just now, insomniadreams88 said:

Did William even react to finding out Oliver's his father and Oliver hugging him? Because I don't think he did. Please either recast this kid if he's going to be back in season 6, or better yet, send him off again. 

Nope. He looked mildly confused when Chase was holding him. I'll be nice and give him the benefit of the doubt that he was in shock. 

• Love 5
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Does Felicity even do anything useful in this finale? She's normally so active in the other ones.

She had a peptalk convo with Thea and a snippy conversation with Samantha. (Shut up, Samantha!)

Kid just squeezed his eyes shut like he forgot he wasn't supposed to look at the sun.

Edited by leopardprint

They've obviously decided the best way to deal with the child actor is to render him speechless.

Malcolm 'died' off camera so I reckon he'll be resurrected sometime around season 7.

Did Slade take an online therapy course while he was locked up? He seems awfully wise and zen all of a sudden.

Oliver's quick change abilities are obviously his real superpower. Getting in and out of the Arrow suit so fast is one thing but he managed a convincing enough beard and wig in less than a minute as well the raggy clothes.

• Love 4
(edited)

Well, that was kind of underwhelming and predictable, but whatever. Whatever happens to everyone else on the island, I hope Oliver and Felicity aren't reunited until during 601 (presumably 5 month from now in show time). I want to see that reunion, and not in flashbacks.

I loved the Felicity/Thea scene and hope we get more next season. And I hope we get more Diggle, because he was insufficiently used all season long.

Oh, and hey, Black Siren?

200.gif

I loved that. I especially love that Quentin got to be the one to do it. He earned that.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

One again I feel like the press and their screeners overhyped everything? IDK, I felt like 70% of that was kinda meh and had no real substance. It was okay but it didn't wow me until the final 15 minutes tbh. 

Very over hyped.

• Love 5
Just now, leopardprint said:

She had a peptalk convo with Theaand a snippy conversation with Samantha. (Shut up, Samanth!)

Better than Diggle. I think I saw him punch out one guy...and I think he said a few lines here and there.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm just gonna live off the following for the hiatus:

Olicity kiss

MOIRA!!!! MY QUEEN!!!

Malcolm making me cry. John was great in these last 3 episodes and that is who Malcolm should have been all along. I hope he's not dead and gets a much better death.

Slade being a Psycho-Therapist to Oliver.

Dinah being officially named Black Canary by Lance LOL, who clocks Black Siren with a stick. That was my favorite moment until MOIRA!!!!!! MY QUEEN!!!!!

Nyssa not killing Talia but beating her sorry ass (even though I enjoy Lexa Doig)

MOIRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY QUEEEEEN!!!!!

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, Tallis said:

Oliver's quick change abilities are obviously his real superpower. Getting in and out of the Arrow suit so fast is one thing but he managed a convincing enough beard and wig in less than a minute as well the raggy clothes.

A beard he had to cut off in the pilot. Instead of, you know, just taking it off. /side eyeing this story choice 

• Love 11

That was good. That was good and heartwrenching and no way are the principal characters dead, but damn that was terrifying and a game changer and a great send off for the island and the flashbacks. I thought they did a nice job with showing Oliver as a son vs. Oliver as a father in that final flashback with Moira. I thought Stephen Amell brought the emotional depth in his worry for William. The kid's not adding anything to the role though. He's basically a prop.

The Talia vs Nyssa fight reminded me of Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Definitely got an "And I wanted a sister!" vibe from Nyssa.

Felicity comforting Thea and kissing her on the forehead was beautiful. 

I did like Rene's "Sing, Canary."

Did they have a working cell signal on the island? Because if so, my solution, like it always is when they are trapped in a deadly location, is to call Cisco! What is the point of having a teleporting metahuman friend if you never call him?

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Hmm maybe I'll just watch the Olicity scene and the Thealicity scene

Felicity had lots to do, just not with Oliver around.  

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Yeah, I wanna see that script page and see if it says he dies or not. Barrowman you bastard getting my hopes up!

I know! I want my death you bastard!

That was okay. As many others have said, everything with William just feels spectacularly unearned. I cannot understand why the writers seem to think just whipping a son out of thin air basically in isolation is equivalent to a developed relationship between a parent and a child. It isn't. Also, is that really a cliffhanger? They don't actually expect us to spend the summer wondering if every single person other than Oliver died, right?

• Love 20
(edited)
3 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Felicity had lots to do, just not with Oliver around.  

She talked about doing stuff but didn't get to actually do it. Sigh.

103,028,193 steps ahead.

Edited by leopardprint

Honestly, if that's the way Malcolm went out, then Barrowman should get his money back on this finale. That was rushed crap, and even if Malcolm's a son of a bitch, he deserved a better death than...that shit. He's been around since season 1, man! Love him, hate him, or just are annoyed by him, that death scene was just...eh. 

• Love 14