Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E23: Lian Yu

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, KenyaJ said:

This show has done a lot of dumb shit over the years, but, by far, killing off Moira was the dumbest thing it's ever done. Susanna Thompson is amazing and brings so much emotion, gravitas, and meaningfulness to the show. I miss her desperately.

Hopefully Thompson can make something out of her Timeless gig.

However, I would enjoy a Moira heavy set of 2012 flashbacks next year.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I'm gonna steal this line, OK? Unless you want credit on Twitter :)

Sure, no credit necessary. My words will be Twitter famous! 

7 minutes ago, Cthulhudrew said:

Overall, I enjoyed it. Definitely agree that it was too rushed, and there was too much going on to give any of it justice. I think it would have been better served as a two-parter. 

I wonder if they had put the myson rescue stuff in 522 and really focused on the island in 523 then it would have landed better (at least for me), I am glad that people enjoyed it or parts of it. That tugboat fight climax really fell flat for me.

Edited by leopardprint
39 minutes ago, madhacker said:

If Oliver didn't call Cisco as a emergency "escape" plan than he's even dumber than Barry.

BTW, when he was recruiting his team to take out Adrian why the hell didn't he call in some metahuman help?  Cisco and Wally alone would've tipped the scales. Hell Cicso could've just bopped over to Earth-31 and gotten Kara. Adrian and his whole army wouldn't have lasted 2 seconds against Supergirl.

Oliver: "Hey guys, I need your help.  My team is being held hostage by a madman who wants me to kill him, or he'll kill my son or team."
Cisco: "Look, we've got Savitar running around, he's going to kill Iris, and Caitlin is on his side.  Yeah, Caitlin has turned evil.  We're busy."
Oliver: "Well, what about that Supergirl from another Earth?"
Cisco: "Fine, I'll call her."
*calls Supergirl*
Cisco: "Hey, can you come over here and help out Oliver?"
Supergirl: "Sorry, I can't.  I'm dealing with an alien invasion right now."
Cisco: "Sorry Oliver, looks like you've got it the easiest out of all of us."

• Love 6

I liked the episode for the most part,I think the idea had a ton of potential but I do wish it was stretched out over two episodes so the scenes could breathe and that they didn't base most of the emotional stakes on a character Oliver shared a minute of screentime with.

I wish we got more olicity but they usually don't get much more in finales.I'm really happy they finally got a kiss in the GA suit and on the island,its been on my wishlist since season 2.

Loved the Thea Felicity scene,I've always wanted a scene where they bond about their villain dads.I hope the mention of Noah means he's coming back next season.

I forgot how much I liked Slade when he wasn't crazy,I enjoyed his scenes with Oliver.I mean its kinda a reach how he wasn't hating Oliver anymore and how they almost treated him killing Moira as a joke but I was trying to ignore it lol.

Malcolm finally dying was good but I think they left it open ended if they want to bring him back.

The BS shade was hilarious,I didn't think they could do more than in 5.10 but they managed to.Its laughable to be now that it was considered she might be a big bad,everyone can take her down at this point.I'm glad Lance can separate her from real LL,I expected him to be annoying about that.

All the William stuff was so annoying,I hated it tbh.I really hope Samantha is alive,I can't take a season of Oliver being all my son,my boy,this was bad enough.It all just fell so flat to me.I was never interested in dad Oliver to a random kid but if they wanted to use him like this,they needed to give it more than a single scene because it was just weird to me to see Oliver like that over someone we barely saw no matter the biological connection.

• Love 12
21 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

How was Rene able to hold his own against trained assassins? Isn't he just a street fighter?

Crappy minions?  The LoA always has had multiple levels of competence.   

13 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I'm SO looking forward to Oliver/Felicity reuniting in the new 9pm timeslot though. 

I honestly can't wait for season 6 lol

Suddenly I'm looking forward to the fan fiction.  I suspect the stories to come out of this by the fans will easily surpass whatever the show actually gives us.   

• Love 3
(edited)

I enjoyed the finale mainly because Slade and Nyssa are 2 of my favourite characters and they had a nice role to play tonight. I also really enjoyed seeing Moira again. Of all the characters the show has resurrected over the years, it really should have been her. Susanna Thompson is in an acting class of her own and the show really lost something special when it got rid of her. The biggest disappointment of the night was yet again Talia to me. I love Lexa so much in the role, but Talia's entire existence has been a huge flop in this universe and at this point, I can't see her as anything other than weakass villian-of-the-week material moving forward. 

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

BS claiming that Dinah was replacing her?! Yeah, totally meta but, not what happened in show BS so from E2, no Team Arrow 

LOL, I wouldn't be surprised if KC changed that line and her rendition is what ended up in the final cut of the episode. 

Edited by shadow2008
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Jediknight said:

Wasn't a fan of Felicity still complaining about having no say in William being sent away.  That decision was made by William's mother and father, Felicity shouldn't have had a say in it.

While I was totally team Felicity in that argument last season, I do agree that the line was a little annoying during the finale. They should've just cut it. 

(edited)

The biggest disappointment of the night was yet again Talia to me. I love Lexa so much in the role, but Talia's entire existence has been a huge flop in the Arrowverse and at this point, I can't see her as anything other than weakass villian-of-the-week material moving forward. 

There was so much potential for Talia that was never fully utilized.  But as long as we have Nyssa, I'm good.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

Oliver: "Hey guys, I need your help.  My team is being held hostage by a madman who wants me to kill him, or he'll kill my son or team."
Cisco: "Look, we've got Savitar running around, he's going to kill Iris, and Caitlin is on his side.  Yeah, Caitlin has turned evil.  We're busy."
Oliver: "Well, what about that Supergirl from another Earth?"
Cisco: "Fine, I'll call her."
*calls Supergirl*
Cisco: "Hey, can you come over here and help out Oliver?"
Supergirl: "Sorry, I can't.  I'm dealing with an alien invasion right now."
Cisco: "Sorry Oliver, looks like you've got it the easiest out of all of us."

Oliver: Sorry to bother you. I only saved the whole world a year ago

Cisco: We did that 2 years ago. How about I make you a siren amplifier.

Oliver: Whatever.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I'm SO looking forward to Oliver/Felicity reuniting in the new 9pm timeslot though. 

I honestly can't wait for season 6 lol

Boom chicka wow wow! 

Dont let me down writers- you still owe us desperate up against the wall sex! And Marc said he'd only do it if there was an organic reason to *wink wink*

• Love 4

I decided to tune back in for the finale, since there was so much hype/I've kept an eye on what's been happening over the course of the season... and wow, I was I disappointed with the finale, which seemed to exemplify all the bad aspects of this show. Why do they always have to make Oliver so idiotic in order to plot their storylines? I remember Oliver from the first season being somewhat competent, and instead, they create the "twist" of Oliver seemingly betrayed by Slade (who's totally okay now? So he didn't threaten Felicity or hurt Thea when we last saw him?) TWICE to try to generate intrigue. Oliver spent years on this island; shouldn't he have some advantage and be able to out trick Chase on his home terrain? And, as everyone else has noted, not securing the dude who apparently is a deadman's switch away from blowing up your loved ones is ridiculous. 

The whole Malcolm/landmine thing was also ridiculous -- why didn't Felicity offer the same solution that Oliver came up with when he saved her? (Also, no one really believes Malcolm the MAGICIAN couldn't figure his way off of the landmine, unless the show suddenly hates JB.)

The pacing of the episode was awful. It would've been more effective had they spent more episodes on the island, trying to outwit Chase. Instead, the whole unraveling of Chase's plan was just... meh. We know you're not killing everyone on the cast, Arrow. 

The highlight was seeing Moira... it made me realize that the show really started slipping from the moment they decided to get rid of her. She brought in so much more depth to the show, and its possible storylines. Instead, we get this constant retread of Oliver's guilt (and Oliver, it's a bad sign that all your former enemies/allies can analyze you so easily). 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Jediknight said:

Wasn't a fan of Felicity still complaining about having no say in William being sent away.  That decision was made by William's mother and father, Felicity shouldn't have had a say in it.

I'd say the moment she became Oliver's fiancee, she absolutely had a say. But that's a debate best left for another thread.

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, SodaforceMaster said:

Gee, I hope a young boy won't brag around school his Dad is the Green Arrow or anything. Secret identities barely mean anything in this universe.

He's that dumb so watch it happen lol

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

I have to say this was probably my least favorite finale. It was too disjointed.  Too many players. Too many dull fights.  The emotional beats never lasted long enough (except with Moira) to make them really work. I thought Dig was suppose to have a substantial part?   No real teamy moments.  It was very much Oliver going it alone with guest stars.  

I didn't HATE it but I'm feeling whelmed.  Not over, not under, just, meh. 

On the plus side if Evelyn was still in that cage, at least she's dead now.  

Whelmed? Did you steal that from YJ Robin?? That was his thing!

Ahem.

Count me in the minority as really enjoying this finale compared to the other two from this week. It wasn't the best finale from this show, but I'll take it, aside from wanting to snatch Samantha BALD, and wanting her to just STFU. And Oliver's over the top melodrama over HISSON. Chase ended up being a pathetic sack of shit. I STILL don't know what his plan was and why? Not sad to see him go.

I TOTES knew Slade hadn't double-crossed Oliver-it was all just a little too pat and easy.  And as quick as that fight was between Nyssa and Talia, I loved seeing Nyssa wipe the floor with Talia, someone who I've NEVER liked in any of her iterations.

1 hour ago, Soulfire said:

tumblr_oqfl0td8Hh1qdo1n7o2_500.gif

tumblr_oqfl0td8Hh1qdo1n7o1_500.gif

tumblr_oqfl0td8Hh1qdo1n7o3_500.gif

tumblr_oq6oq641c41qdo1n7o4_500.gif

tumblr_oq6oq641c41qdo1n7o2_500.gif

tumblr_oq6oq641c41qdo1n7o5_500.gif

tumblr_oq6oq641c41qdo1n7o1_500.gif

tumblr_oqhi91QfHr1uvcgjlo2_540.gif

tumblr_oqhi91QfHr1uvcgjlo3_540.gif

tumblr_oqhircoL6q1rq49qyo6_250.gif tumblr_oqhircoL6q1rq49qyo3_250.gif

tumblr_oqhircoL6q1rq49qyo1_250.gif tumblr_oqhircoL6q1rq49qyo2_250.gif

tumblr_oqhircoL6q1rq49qyo4_250.gif tumblr_oqhircoL6q1rq49qyo5_250.gif

tumblr_oqhircoL6q1rq49qyo7_250.gif tumblr_oqhircoL6q1rq49qyo8_250.gif

tumblr_oqfv0ljiNK1qdo1n7o3_540.gif

I loved those moments so much, that my inner Grammar Nazi forgives the puntuation error. It should be "in harm's way."?

And Samantha can just SHUT IT about not abandoning her son, as if she has any skillz to put to use to protect him. They surely didn't work when it came to his being kidnapped...AGAIN.??

I was hoping that the finale on this show would be better than on Supergirl and Flash, and it didn't disappoint me. I'll take my small pleasures where I can.

But yeah, TOTAL RETCON of how Oliver was found on the island. Fake beard AND Fake Wig? Whatthefuckever, Guggenheim.???

• Love 8

Moira, my god I miss you.   She was the best part.  Hands down.   She just acts circles around everyone else. 

I loved the Nyssa scenes and her duel with Talia,  but really I expect a showdown with two assassins raised by the leader of a secret assassin group to be... better. 

I enjoyed Slade, recurring maybe next season,  fingers crossed. 

Why,  oh why couldn't have flashpoint resulted in Moira being alive.   That would have been the best thing to do.   These writers are either idiots or Susanna refused to come back. 

• Love 10
(edited)

Ok that was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be!

It was a bit dull in parts but not as irritating as I was dreading.

First things first!!!!

OLICITY KISS!!!!!! IN THE GA SUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loved it so much and loved their dialogue. 

They seem to have REALLY doubled down on Olicity! Here's hoping they have learned their lesson for season 6. Olicity sells. It is a fact of life and a very easy lesson to take in Arrow Writers!

The conversation between Samantha and Felicity wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I thought it was terse but it looked like they were sizing each other up. Biological mum and new step mum check each other out while making awkward conversation. That's how I took it. 

As much as Oliver crowed about Crayola I thought they did the scene where he sent Felicity away really well. The conversation about how he needed to send her away so he could focus. It avoided making me as a viewer (and avid shipper) think that Crayola was more important than Felicity.

Also right at the end when Chase kills himself he tells Oliver that at least they have each other now because Crayola won't have his mother and Oliver has no Felicity. That pleases me. Felicity being singled out as Oliver's most important person. Actually that saved the episode for me!

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 8
(edited)
9 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And Samantha can just SHUT IT about not abandoning her son, as if she has any skillz to put to use to protect him. They surely didn't work when it came to his being kidnapped...AGAIN.??

And it made no sense, if she cared that much she would have insisted on going with Oliver because staying at the landing site would have accomplished nothing! Oliver would have thought she left with the others. That kid didn't have a chance with these two MacArthur winners as parents. 

Shut up, Samantha! 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Also right at the end when Chase kills himself he tells Oliver that at least they have each other now because Crayola won't have his mother and Oliver has no Felicity. That pleases me. Felicity being singled out as Oliver's most important person. Actually that saved the episode for me!

Aww, you found the silver lining!  

9 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Whelmed? Did you steal that from YJ Robin?? That was his thing!

But of course!!  :D

• Love 2
Just now, BkWurm1 said:

Aww, you found the silver lining!  

hehe I didn't even try actually. I thought it was awesome how he mentioned Felicity before bullet to the head.

Something about no mummy and no Felicity. Like I said it pleases me when they highlight how important my girl is! 

• Love 2

I think the episode was good if not a little too jammed packed. Everything looked good but it was just quick peeks. Little is more sometimes.

I think it was sweet the father/son moment to recall the Robert/Oliver stuff - if only we cared about the son. It's a shame really because it was a nice full circle kind of moment. In concept. But it was an easy let the kid die moment.

Plus Arrow once again "kills" off the whole cast. That always lessens the impact of a moment. 

And seeing Moria is always wonderful even if it just makes it sadder that we had to lose her way back in season 2 :'(

• Love 4

Could anyone who participated in a "my son!!!" Drinking game please check in? We need to make sure you're alive.

I've only watched sporadically this year but it doesn't seem like you need to see the whole season to catch the plot points in the finale. I liked the fight sequences and most of the cameos. It certainly wasn't as dour as last year, even though we're supposed to presumably think everyone! Could! Be! Dead! The cliff hanger is whelming at best - not as outrageous as the Walking Dead  but not as conversation generating as some of the Game of Thrones endings. I like discussing what developments mean to the characters and their trajectories but there isn't enough substance for that. I guess we're supposed to wonder how they reunite and how and when the get off what remains of the Island.  On that:

35 minutes ago, Cthulhudrew said:

Could be that Team Arrow survived by hiding in the Dharma Corporation hatch.

Maybe the argus prison but if someone yelled out "what's in the hatch" as they were running to it, it would be fab!

• Love 3

I actually didn't like that Olicity scene that much because I thought Oliver was weirdly chill and lacking urgency in the middle of all the mysons. 

The Chinese built a temple and a prison so why wouldn't they have a secret underground bunker? 

• Love 2
Just now, leopardprint said:

I actually didn't like that Olicity scene that much because I thought Oliver was weirdly chill and lacking urgency in the middle of all the mysons. 

The Chinese built a temple and a prison so why wouldn't they have a secret underground bunker? 

hehe I liked it for exactly that reason! He even looked like he was getting his flirt on when he asked Felicity why she kissed him!

It took away from all that myboy trash littered throughout! 

• Love 3
Just now, Mellowyellow said:

hehe I liked it for exactly that reason! He even looked like he was getting his flirt on when he asked Felicity why she kissed him!

It took away from all that myboy trash littered throughout! 

Haha, I'm glad you liked it! It just felt like another box they had to check rather than, dare I say it, "organic." 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, SodaforceMaster said:

Gee, I hope a young boy won't brag around school his Dad is the Green Arrow or anything. Secret identities barely mean anything in this universe.

It's fine. He's so dumb Oliver can just tell him he was only cosplaying as the Green Arrow and he'll believe it. 

I didn't love this episode, but some parts didn't get to me as much as they did others. I really didn't see the end as Oliver choosing William over the others, but they might as well have just replaced that kid with a life sized doll. 

I'm so glad Chase is dead. Love JS, but I hate Chase. Not in the love to hate a good villain way. In the oh my god shut up and get off my screen way. 

Really enjoyed Slade. I want season 6 to have regular updates on Slade Wilson, who goes to college during the hiatus to become a licensed therapist (This is Arrow. Five months is plenty of time.), and is now Oliver's therapist. (Is watch the hell out of that show.)

They should have either made this a two hour finale or cut sime stuff from earlier in the season so they could spread this over two episodes. There wasn't enough Diggle, and the Nyssa/Talia fight should have been longer. I'm glad Talia lost, because she was pretty lame on Arrow. I'll better other versions of Talia act like they don't even know ArrowTalia. 

I didn't get as much bitchiness from Samantha toward Felicity as others (just a hint), but I still hate her and think she's a terrible person. I wish they would stop trying to sell her as a good person. 

I really like the Oliver/Kovar fight, but I hate, hate, hate how they ended the flashbacks. They didn't show us Oliver's journey to becoming the guy we met in the pilot. They changed the guy we thought we met in the pilot into someone else. I've decided that I'm just going to pretend that Oliver really was stuck on that island for months after killing Kovar. It's something I have experience with with this show. 

• Love 12
27 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Looks like they cut a Laurel/Dinah scene. In the trailer we had DD looking defeated and Siren going "not bad" as if they'd just got done fighting 

I suspect a LOT was cut from this episode. 

• Love 3

That Felicity/Thea scene was great though, especially as she told her she was a member of the evil dad's club. And the hug and sisterly forehead kiss was so sweet. Why have they slept on those two for so long? 

• Love 20
1 minute ago, Hiveminder said:

didn't love this episode, but some parts didn't get to me as much as they did others. I really didn't see the end as Oliver choosing William over the others, but they might as well have just replaced that kid with a life sized doll. 

I agree.  Chase said Oliver had to either kill him to save Myson (I'm never calling him William again) or let Myson die to save his friends and family.  Instead Oliver both saved Myson and didn't kill Chase, thus keeping the ones on the island alive.  But no one on the team ever learned to deal with the dude that's down before they vanish, pull the trigger, blow up the island so yup, that's still on Oliver.  

• Love 9

Can anyone explain Samantha's logic in going to the plane with the others and then staying behind? She would have gotten lost on that island in 2 minutes and then just been wandering around by herself and finding her would have been another problem they had to worry about. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Angel12d said:

That Felicity/Thea scene was great though, especially as she told her she was a member of the evil dad's club. And the hug and sisterly forehead kiss was so sweet. Why have they slept on those two for so long? 

I was already "awww"ing all over the place with the hug, but then that very sweet forehead kiss just left me dying.  Need more of that relationship.  

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Can anyone explain Samantha's logic in going to the plane with the others and then staying behind? She would have gotten lost on that island in 2 minutes and then just been wandering around by herself and finding her would have been another problem they had to worry about. 

Poor Samantha, suffered brain damage from all those crayon fumes. 

I think that was supposed to show what a devoted mother she was? By going in the opposite direction from her son in danger? 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Yeah, it doesn't make sense.  I just assumed when the time came, they would have made her go, but it never got to that point so what was the point? Were they afraid people would accuse her of just leaving him behind if she didn't say she wasn't leaving?  

• Love 1

Just caught a commercial for Logan which I bought today. In 2 hours, they introduced a surprise kid that bonded with her dad-type figure, and I completely bought their relationship and what they meant to each other. Arrow had 1.5 seasons to make MySon matter, but they didn't even try. 

• Love 19

Samantha is not the brightest spark and has an equally stupid son. I wasn't surprised by that but then I'm always expecting Samantha and Crayola to run around being randomly stupid! The writers are consistent with this.

It would puzzle me more if they were intelligent! 

• Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Did she even think about how Oliver would explain that to William?

"My son, apparently your mom stayed behind on that island because she thought she could just wander around and find you (otherwise known as my son) or something. I don't know. She was dumb. Oh also, I'm your dad.  You're going to live with me now.  You're going to have to sleep in an underground bunker for a while, but it's cool. Felicity and I are totally getting back together soon, and then we'll move into the loft. The walls are curtains!"

Edited by Hiveminder
  • Love 12
29 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

I thought it was odd, too, but mostly because in the middle of all that urgency, Oliver just completely stopped and focused his attention on Felicity. He even had the soft voice going, "What was that for?" with a hint of a smile. Like, dude, I know it's the love of your life talking but chop, chop you have friends and Myson to save, LOL! Also weird, the closemouthed kiss. I mean, I'm just so used to them going at it, open mouth, tongues and all. But I guess with all the people around, they wanted to be more circumspect ;)

• Love 9

Haha I loved how he had this look like "hmm what signals is Felicity sending now because she said one step and a time and I went along with it but she just kissed me so if she wants to dive head in I'm all for it!!!!! I'm gonna have to clarify. Look chill Oliver, look chill and ask her casually with a hint of flirt" instead of rushing to save Myson.

I was wondering about the closed mouth but maybe Felicity was trying to be chaste and Oliver was surprised so it's not like he was going to stock his tongue in. 

• Love 4

Bah humbug! Olicity were freaking adorable <3 I would have preferred my Alias season 2 Sydney/vaughn kiss but oh well.

I agree with @Mellowyellow to that I didn't find the Felicity and Samantha scene bitchy but just awkward and played like two women who were aware that it was awkward. That being said they are probably never destined to be great friends. 

I did find it weird though that Samantha was checking out whether Felicity had a ring on the finger. Priorities.

• Love 4
(edited)
5 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

That being said they are probably never destined to be great friends. 

I don't see how, Samantha is like one of the writers trolled an MRA message board and decided "hey this strawwoman sounds like a great character for my show."

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

Just caught a commercial for Logan which I bought today. In 2 hours, they introduced a surprise kid that bonded with her dad-type figure, and I completely bought their relationship and what they meant to each other. Arrow had 1.5 seasons to make MySon matter, but they didn't even try. 

To be honest, the way I felt about the father-daughter relationship in Logan is pretty much how I feel about the father-son relationship in Arrow. I didn't car nearly enough because  the relationships were never developed properly or given time.

There was so much hype surrounding Logan and it just fell flat to me because of the movie failing to develop that father-daughter relationship consistently throughout the movie :/ I really wanted to love it too.