Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E24: Ring Of Fire

• Start Topic

In the 13th season finale, the doctors' lives are at risk after a dangerous patient escapes the hospital room. Meanwhile, Alex makes a hard choice in his relationship with Jo; and Meredith has some big news for Nathan, bringing things to a turning point.

I'm assuming that Meredith Nathan will pass two important messages. In the first place, she tells him that she is pregnant, so he whirls them so happy in the air twice, and secondly, she tells him afterwards that Megan is alive and is sent to the Seattle Pres. Because I can not imagine the scene here.

Why should Nathan be so happy and laughing Meredith hugging and whirling in the air when Megan is alive. Owen has also reacted first totally shocked. I would also first my pleasure not show and want to know whether it is really that person. I mean hello after 10 years or? Does Megan reappear, you think she is dead, and now she must have been alive like all the time? So the scene can mean something good for Merthan.

The lack of promotion for this finale is interesting.  I haven't seen any interviews about it or much promotion from ABC.  Its possible that its there and I have missed it, but I remember there being a lot more write ups and promotions last year.  Maybe like many of us, they are just ready to put this season in their rear view mirror and look forward to the next one.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

The lack of promotion for this finale is interesting.  I haven't seen any interviews about it or much promotion from ABC.  Its possible that its there and I have missed it, but I remember there being a lot more write ups and promotions last year.  Maybe like many of us, they are just ready to put this season in their rear view mirror and look forward to the next one.

I wonder if they also think that Grey's is a ship that basically runs itself at this point. (surely, Shonda is not as involved.)

Season 13 was a travesty. In all these years, I've never looked forward to hiatus as much as I do now.  We'll see what season 14 has in store with former head writer Krista Vernoff back in the driver's seat. 

• Love 7

I don't think any of the cast were at the Upfronts either this year which makes for a change. Maybe the showrunners and cast are as mortified watching the mess they've made as the fans are watching.

God damn you, Minnick, you had ONE job! Hallelujah for Chief Bailey sticking up for herself and Richard and getting Minnick fired.

They are really going there with Jackson and Maggie. Ew.

I kept hoping Meredith would drive Nathan to where he was going. He's going to wreck, isn't he?

VERY glad Stephanie and the girl both survived!

• Like 2
  • Love 9

So Minnick didn't think it was right to stop and tell someone while she was treating patients that there was a girl + a doctor missing, probably burning in a fire? at all? And then she had the unmitigated gall to sit there and try to blame it on Weber for signing off on Edwards - so this could have been someone else who was treating Mr. Rapist? 

I'm surprised no one gave her an open faced slap. 
I think it would have been more powerful had we not seen Stephanie and Erin saved, rather that shown through flashbacks, etc. but i still like it and out of the most recent send offs, wow. Steph, you got an AMAZING one. You go live your real life. 

I don't even think Meredith was sad (that she "lost" Nathan - because as she said, if it was Derek, she'd already been gone). I do think this was a way to open Meredith up again to love. so that's probably going to be a more real thing next season. NOT. WITH. ALEX, though. 

• Like 1
  • Love 15
(edited)

Loved the way they sent Stephanie off. Loved that everyone stayed alive. I liked Stephanie and I like Jerrika, hoping she has a show that will use her talent better  

Did anyone else catch the army doctors telling Owen that Megan "sometimes is communicative"? I have 0 interest in the Megan/Omelia/Riggs crap, but I am completely ennamored on how they are introducing this character. Is it going to be a la Christina PTSD or something else entirely?

Also, I'm hoping for a juicy Meredith love story crossover with Shonda's new firefighter show. One a little more lighthearted and fun. That poor character has had nothing but ridiculous, heavy, overbearing love story lines. 

Edited by jabbi
Add thoughts, spelling error correction
  • Love 3

Well, the episode exceeded expectations.  Minn-ICK was fired, woo hoo.  Steph got a nice send-off.  Owen wasn't a total parody of a PTSD patient. 

Why the HELL do they act like it's Katherine Avery's hospital?  Bailey is the chief, appointed by the full board, where in the !!!! does K. Avery get off acting like her boss.  I am so SICK of that.  Someone needs to tell her to sit down, shut up, you have ONE vote, lady....and it currently belongs to her son.

Funny that April should give Maggie the "go", but just ewww! 

And so now we know who the new firefighter will be, in a new series.  Unimpressed.  Some serious gaps in the story tonight....floors suddenly having been extinguished with no firefighters, etc. 

Not a bad episode, compared to the rest of this season, but Grey's needs some serious remediation over the summer months.

• Love 11

Some serious gaps in the story tonight....floors suddenly having been extinguished with no firefighters, etc.

Yeah, very convenient for the stairwell fire to put itself out so Ben and the firefighters could get to the roof unimpeded.

• Like 1
  • Love 13

Why didn't Stephanie find something on the roof to throw off to attract the attention of the people below?

Oh well, I'm glad she at least got a good send off.

I laughed at how April and Maggie were worried about Jackson being worried about Stephanie.  

• Love 12

Jackson likes his ladies neurotic.. Don't see why so many are turned off by this potential romance... And if they have a baby it would be the uber doctor... Probably doing triple bypass surgery before he/she was 12...

• Love 9

I'm glad Stephanie survived and made the choice to leave. They should've never underutilized Jerrika's talent all these years. She did a wonderful job in her final episode. 

"If this were Derek, I would already be gone." Yeah you would, Meredith. Though I'm sure a trite and recycled love triangle is upon us, as someone who isn't a fan of the Meredith/Nathan pairing, I hope that at some point this back-and-forth relationship is put to bed. If Meredith's not going to end the series with Derek, I always envisioned it'd be Cristina by her side. I don't need Meredith to find "love" again, I got to enjoy 11 seasons of that. 

What was the point of Jackson and April hooking up in their very special bottle episode if nothing was going to come of it and they were building towards Jackson/Maggie?  They didn't need to have the one to do the other. I guess season 14 will have two love triangles...

Miranda Bailey is back! Firing Dr. Minnick is the best thing to have happened this season, and the best decision she's made. I hope it sticks and she's gone for good. What a waste of screentime she was. 

• Love 13
Just now, Ohwell said:

Why didn't Stephanie find something on the roof to throw off to attract the attention of the people below?

Oh well, I'm glad she at least got a good send off.

I was thinking the same thing. I was waiting for her to drop something heavy off of the roof. I'm surprised that they gave her such a good send off. 

I don't like the idea of Maggie and Jackson one bit, but I'd like to see Catherine's reaction. 

I was a bit worried about Ben at the beginning of the episode when he was coughing. I was beginning to think that it was an omen and he would drop dead from smoke inhalation at the end. 

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

God damn you, Minnick, you had ONE job! Hallelujah for Chief Bailey sticking up for herself and Richard and getting Minnick fired.

They are really going there with Jackson and Maggie. Ew.

I kept hoping Meredith would drive Nathan to where he was going. He's going to wreck, isn't he?

VERY glad Stephanie and the girl both survived!

Yes! A thousand times. Especially when she said: "I forgot." Wow! How the hell were you ever, and I do mean EVER on Katherine Avery's suggestion for teaching. This woman had no idea how to do everything. She just threw rules to the wind, used her: "I've never lost a patient! Ever!" crap and then we saw her crash and burn and so happy when they kicked her ass out. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I was a bit worried about Ben at the beginning of the episode when he was coughing. I was beginning to think that it was an omen and he would drop dead from smoke inhalation at the end. 

Yes, I forgot about that.  I was afraid that he was going to be the season-ending death.

• Love 5

I thought the exact same thing. But I also thought, "Throw the kid over!"

• Love 12
10 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

There was a preview or something that said Stephanie and Ben would both make major decisions about their careers. We know what Stephanie's was. What about Ben? Was there ever any reveal on that one?

I wonder if all of the coughing might foreshadow something, even though he was suffering from smoke inhalation.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

There was a preview or something that said Stephanie and Ben would both make major decisions about their careers. We know what Stephanie's was. What about Ben? Was there ever any reveal on that one?

That was a couple of episodes.  Minnick declared that Ben of the kitchen table caesarians was too conservative and he decided to be "edgier"

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I know! I was flashing back to fire safety in elementary school when they told us to hang a blanket/sheet out the window if you were stuck high up by a fire. I was like, where did that that blanket they had go.

25 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

Yeah, very convenient for the stairwell fire to put itself out so Ben and the firefighters could get to the roof unimpeded.

That was really weird. Maybe a scene was cut? I read that they were spinning off a show about fire fighters and then they barely showed them. I hope that doesn't mean there is going to be another fire at Grey Sloane Memorial that will actually serve as an episode to launch the spin off.

• Love 5

It was really nice to see a normal season finale, and not a cliffhanger with someone missing/mutilated/dead/undead/on fire/etc.  IA that Stephanie had a great sendoff, and it leaves the door open for her to return.  I cheered when she returned with the key card.  Good on her for making this decision.  She's been adrift for so long and she can still help people while living her own life.

Although I'm sure Avery and April are endgame, I'm still down for Avery and Maggie.  April is so much better when she's not with Jackson, anyway.

29 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I don't even think Meredith was sad (that she "lost" Nathan - because as she said, if it was Derek, she'd already been gone). I do think this was a way to open Meredith up again to love. so that's probably going to be a more real thing next season. NOT. WITH. ALEX, though. 

I really like this idea, even though I do see Meredith and Riggs staying together, or getting back together once the dust settles with Megan.  That said, Meredith was nice to let Riggs go and send him on his way.  Yeah, she would do the same if it was Derek, but you could tell she was saddened after Riggs was gone.

3 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

He conquered his fear of fire and ends up becoming a firefighter?  Has he done that already?  I don't know, my history on Ben is spotty.

7 minutes ago, mojito said:

But I also thought, "Throw the kid over!"

LOL.  Looks like they toned down the creepy vibes on that kid this time.  

• Love 3

I still dont see what the problem is with Maggie and Jackson... I like them both individually... It would be interesting to see how the other characters react... I've always felt like Meredith and Jackson shoulda gotten on better... As children of med royalty so ill give it a go... And as much as I like Jackson and April... Shes always kinda treated him foul... I think they work well as friends or lovers.. But id prefer friends who have a kid.  This will if course make Richard the official father of the hospital... With the "daughter" he taught (bailey)... The "daughter " he shoulda raised (Meredith)... The daughter he made (Maggie)... The "son" (Jackson)  and "son in law" (Ben)  he inherited... I still think this show will end with Richard dying..

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, mojito said:

Not gonna lie.  That kid annoyed the hell out of me and I wouldn't have held it against Stephanie if she had thrown the kid over, and then told people that the kid tripped over something with the bum leg and fell off accidentally.  

Seriously though, if I were Bailey I'd call child services on the father for not watching his kid in the hospital, if only to scare him into being a more responsible parent.    

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I think Nathan was saying sorry for two reasons before he drove off to see Megan. Meredith assumed right on one of the reasoning, but the other was that he essentially broke up with her because he's still in love with his ex-wife. I hope we don't dive into the relationship so suddenly in season 14, because Megan already has enough to deal with as it is.

41 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

And so now we know who the new firefighter will be, in a new series.  Unimpressed.  Some serious gaps in the story tonight....floors suddenly having been extinguished with no firefighters, etc.

I found it pretty 'convenient' that the stairwells were suddenly without flames just so Ben and the firefighters could rescue Stephanie and Erin. Also, am I the only one who found the whole bunch of them to be completely incompetint? The new spin-off is definitely not something I have any interest in watching.

36 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Jackson likes his ladies neurotic.. Don't see why so many are turned off by this potential romance... And if they have a baby it would be the uber doctor... Probably doing triple bypass surgery before he/she was 12...

Because they are brother and sister through marriage. It is incest, even if they are not related by blood. Catherine Avery and Richard Webber are married. This makes Jackson and Maggie siblings.

I was actually thinking "well, that kid is going to be so effed up from all the inrbed genes--" but then remembered Jackson and Maggie aren't actually related by blood.

18 minutes ago, mojito said:

Erin didn't actually strike me as creepy this episode, but I didn't feel worried for her well-being.

Edited by kinnej5
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

He conquered his fear of fire and ends up becoming a firefighter?  Has he done that already?  I don't know, my history on Ben is spotty.

This was my instant thought when I saw Ben working with the firefighters and busting up to save Stephanie. That they are pimping him as the lead on the fire show. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, kinnej5 said:

Because they are brother and sister through marriage. It is incest, even if they are not related by blood. Catherine Avery and Richard Webber are married.

You have to be related by blood for it to be incest. If you're not, then it's not. They're step-siblings, but hardly that since Webber isn't actually a "dad" to Maggie anyway. It's just ... huh. Not really gross, not necessarily weird, just makes you go ... huh.

• Love 12

I want Maggie to have her own man.  Shiny and New!  It feels like the show is determined to sabotage her romantic prospects.   Why do they find it necessary to saddle her in hopeless triangles?  Japril has a big fan-base and it will be Maggie who will get the brunt of their dissatisfaction, not Jackson if they really decide to pursue a romance with them.  I really wish they had decided to make them best friends  a la Mer and Alex.

I am glad they toned down little Erin this week and made her a little more sympathetic.  This time around she just seemed like a scared little girl.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Chicken Wing said:

You have to be related by blood for it to be incest. If you're not, then it's not. They're step-siblings, but hardly that since Webber isn't actually a "dad" to Maggie anyway. It's just ... huh. Not really gross, not necessarily weird, just makes you go ... huh.

And while they are technically step-siblings, they did not grow up together.

Not that I am defending their pairing, because I don't like it.

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

I still dont see what the problem is with Maggie and Jackson... I like them both individually... It would be interesting to see how the other characters react... I've always felt like Meredith and Jackson shoulda gotten on better... As children of med royalty so ill give it a go... And as much as I like Jackson and April... Shes always kinda treated him foul... I think they work well as friends or lovers.. But id prefer friends who have a kid.  This will if course make Richard the official father of the hospital... With the "daughter" he taught (bailey)... The "daughter " he shoulda raised (Meredith)... The daughter he made (Maggie)... The "son" (Jackson)  and "son in law" (Ben)  he inherited... I still think this show will end with Richard dying..

My problem is not with Jackson and Maggie, specifically.  I'm saying this without yet having seen tonight's episode (west coaster here!), but I just think it is strange that they spent so much time on Jackson and April, culminating in the Montana episode and then just dropped it completely.  I'm not saying that I want Jackson and April together, but I would like some closure of the story line somehow.  When it comes to Jackson and Maggie, if they are going to go that route--and I really don't care if they do or don't--I'd like them to at least address Jackson and April first so we, the viewers, at least know what ground we're standing on.

• Like 2
  • Love 14
3 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I am glad they toned down little Erin this week and made her a little more sympathetic.  This time around she just seemed like a scared little girl.

She'll be up and at 'em, walking into crack dens and giving strangers her home address and social security number before you know it.

• Love 7

Bye bye Eliza! Thank you Chief Bailey for reminding her that your residents were already taught by the best. She  wasn't needed in the first damn place. Miss I forgot to tell the cops vital information. The character was wooden and no one liked her except for Arizona. Who clearly was so desperate for va jay jay that she overlooked who Eliza was. I won't miss her AT ALL! 

Chemistry was Sara and JCap. You can't fake it. Penny sucked and so did Eliza. Shonda go beg Sara to come back and bring Sandra Oh, Kate Walsh, and the woman who played Teddy back too. Let's get this show back to greatness.

And wtf happened to Leah. No one seems to care that she's disappeared!

• Love 8
(edited)

I liked the episode for 2 reasons:

- Minnick is gone and done for thank god. Every scene she was in was uninteresting and just lifeless. Maybe it's the actress or just how the writers implemented the characters. It was clear that she was supposed to be a Callie 2.0 but she didn't have a tenth of Callie's appeal and they really dropped the ball on this story line. I want to see Arizona move on and find a nice girl but she was not it. Minnick sucked the life of every room and every character she interacted with.

-Stephanie is alive! I'm glad they didn't kill her off and I'm happy that she wants to explore the world and find her purpose in life. Seattle Grace is a terrifying place to work at and I'm happy that she can live far away and thrive.

Other moments:

- I don't see it for Riggs and I never will. I want to see Meredith, who is this supposedly dark and twisty character be with someone equally dark and twisty. I'm not saying that her significant other should be asshole or scary, just someone who Meredith can be herself around without being looked at twice. I don't hate the thought of Alex and Meredith as much as I used to.

- I'm so sick of japril nonsense. I'm glad that this episode didn't do that and April was surprisingly mature about realizing Jackson had feelings for Maggie and vice versa. Japril never worked as a couple and I hope the show sticks with this rather than doing this back and forth thing they have with those two. I used to be a huge (I mean bigly) japril shipper and then I saw the light finally. Seeing Jackson and Maggie paired up is going to be fun and new which is something this show needs.

-This season was just terrible, boring, and uneven. I hope they're able to learn from their mistakes before starting production for next season. The writers just have to go and as much as Shonda's sometimes immature writing irritated me, the show is openly and sorely missing her.

Edited by lavenderrose
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I want Maggie to have her own man.  Shiny and New!  It feels like the show is determined to sabotage her romantic prospects.   Why do they find it necessary to saddle her in hopeless triangles?  Japril has a big fan-base and it will be Maggie who will get the brunt of their dissatisfaction, not Jackson if they really decide to pursue a romance with them.  I really wish they had decided to make them best friends  a la Mer and Alex.

At this point, they should strike up a friendship with Maggie and Arizona and have Maggie realize that she's attracted to Arizona. 

The only problem with this is that I like Arizona and wouldn't want her to be stuck with Maggie, who annoys the crap out of me. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, partofme said:

Any thoughts on who the dead woman was?   Do we think it's a doctor or a patient?

The dead person that Ben found, the one that was too tall to be Edwards? I assumed it was Liver Lac Rapist.

• Love 14