Type keyword(s) to search

Life Sentence - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I liked the tone of this episode versus the pilot.

Also, Stella is 23? I was thinking she was at least 25. She complained about having an 18 or 20 year old boss, It's not like she's in her mid-20s. I wonder if she is going to go to college. Her father's a professor - kids of professors usually get reduced tuition.

• Love 2

As Stella settles into her new volunteer role as patient advocate, she learns that Sadie doesn't have anyone to fight for her. Stella suggests Sadie try the clinical trial that worked for her, but their hopes are dashed when they learn that the trial has ended. While Wes is babysitting Diego's kids, one of them gets sick, and Ida offers her help. Meanwhile, Aiden pushes his father to have a guy's night out to help him move on from Ida.

Promo:

Stella: The problem with being sick when you'd normally go to college and figure out what to do with your life is you end up with this 20 year old as a boss.

Marlene: I'm going to have a baby with my drug dealer. Omigawd, I've finally become my mother.

Stella: Guys, come on. 
Aiden: Don't bother. After about 40 minutes, one of them usually tires out and wanders off.

Stella: I know it might seem like I'm putting my family stuff first.
Wes: Does it seem like that, or is that exactly what you're doing?

Coffee boss: You're totally on probation. 
Paul: Hi, Stell Belle.
Stella: Hi, Daddy. I'll make sure he buys something.
Paul: I'll take a latte.
Stella: Actually, can we make it a black coffee? It's a lot easier to make.

Stella: New rule you are not allowed to talk to any women until you talk to the one who is carrying your baby.

Aiden: I'm doing the best I can with the hand I was dealt. The hand you were dealt?
Paul: You come from an educated, upper middle-class, white family in suburban Oregon.

Wes: How was your bath?
Stella: Long. Crappy. I feel like a sad raisin.

Wes: You were just as unprepared for you to live as I was. But now that we have a shot at a real future together, you're the one having doubts about us, not me. 
Stella: That's not true. 
Wes: Really? Because you will not put our marriage before your family.
Stella: I shouldn't have to.
Wes: Of course you shouldn't. But if I get deported, you're gonna have to make a choice. And knowing that you wouldn't choose me-
Stella: I didn't say that I wouldn't choose you.
Wes: But you didn't say that you would.

Stella: Basically, I get how Harry met Sally, but what happened after Harry married Sally?
Lizzie: Oh. They fought. And sometimes Harry regretted having kids so early, and other times Sally would look at the men in her pilates class and think, "Ooh, I'd like some of that."

Paul: Aiden, can you pass the salt?
Aiden: Ooh, sorry, Pops. It's too heavy. Diego, would you be the son my father always wanted and pass him the salt?
Diego: I don't know what the right move is here. I don't want to get in the middle, but I also don't want your food to be bland.

Stella: Please tell me that is not a coffin.
Paul: It's not a coffin.
Stella: Are you lying?
Aiden: Obviously.

Stella: The next day, Aiden found the courage to face fatherhood head on.
Aiden: I'm in. Anything you need, Marlene.
Marlene: Okay. I think we should tell my husband the truth.
Aiden: That feels like a you thing.

4 hours ago, bros402 said:

Stella is 23?

I'm glad we got confirmation of her age. She said she got sick when she was 15 and her family took care of her for 8 years so she's 23.

Lucy Hale finally got off Pretty Little Liars (where she played a teenager well into her mid-20s) and even now she's still playing younger than her actual age of 28. On the plus side, that's good for her as an actress. Once you can only play your age or older, actresses are mostly stuck in mom roles.

I know more than one person who has married a non-US citizen and most of them weren't flagged for questioning afterward, but they all knew it was a possibility. One of the couples I know got married because they were dating and her visa was about to expire. I asked him if he was really ready to get married and he said, "I don't know, but I know that I don't want to have to end this relationship because she has to leave the country." He was realistic enough to know that because they got married shortly before her visa expired, they might be questioned so they made sure to find out the answers to questions they might be asked.

But realistically, I know that it's silly that some people are asked to recite facts and figures about their spouses to prove that their marriage is real. Meanwhile as long as you're both American citizens, you can drunkenly marry a stranger you met in Vegas!

• Love 2

I sort of accidentally fell into this one by not changing the channel quick enough. The CW was promoting the show so hard I was pre-emptively sick of it before the pilot even aired. But, this was actually fun, so I watched it all the way through. It sort of reminds me of "No Tomorrow," even though the whole premise is basically reversed. 

• Love 4

I think I must have missed how long she and Wes have been together, have they just been having sex and not actually talking because her not knowing he went to law school and them not having discussed their sexual history are things that typically come up pretty early in the relationship. I mean even if they married after a month it didn't feel like it had just happened. 

Not feeling the mother at all. I mean I get she is upset but the sledgehammer thing was ridiculous.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I think I must have missed how long she and Wes have been together, have they just been having sex and not actually talking because her not knowing he went to law school and them not having discussed their sexual history are things that typically come up pretty early in the relationship. I mean even if they married after a month it didn't feel like it had just happened. 

Not feeling the mother at all. I mean I get she is upset but the sledgehammer thing was ridiculous.

I think when they did talk, he was just agreeing with what she said she liked.

But you'd think they would have talked a little before he found out she was dying and fell in love with her. And since they are young, there's not that much life to cover, they should have talked about something.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Then again, those two were having the same candlelit sex session every night. There didn't seem to be a lot of depth or variation in their relationship.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

That was interesting. There is probably other things and places that Stella remembers differently because of her illness.

I found this interesting too. I wonder how many of her memories are "protected" because she was ill.

I am also interested by the relationship between Stella and Wes as they get to know each other. It's all messy and backwards but they have chemistry and are both likable so I'm here for it. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

think when they did talk, he was just agreeing with what she said she liked.

Right for things like the longtime girlfriend and even lying about wanting to have children is one thing, it being a surprise that he went to law school another.

I thought they missed the mark with the mother needing to sell the house because of the bad memories so much that she would take a lowball offer because she wasn't living at the house anymore so she didn't have ro be confronted with them at all. I would found it much more believable and sympathetic if she wanted the quick sell so they could finalize the divorce.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

Yeah, the mother should have just said what was bothering her, instead of throwing tantrums and destroying property. What kind of adult behaves that way?

The whole family needs a lot of therapy since they don't seem like they were getting it when Stella was sick. None of them know how to express themselves because they were suppressing everything for Stella's sake.

5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Right for things like the longtime girlfriend and even lying about wanting to have children is one thing, it being a surprise that he went to law school another.

I thought they missed the mark with the mother needing to sell the house because of the bad memories so much that she would take a lowball offer because she wasn't living at the house anymore so she didn't have ro be confronted with them at all. I would found it much more believable and sympathetic if she wanted the quick sell so they could finalize the divorce.

Well she moved out of the house so quickly because of Stella getting better. I bet any longer and she would have just been spending some nights at the house of the family friend. I think her wanting to sell the house because of the bad memories adds a bit of color/depth to her character, rather than the expected "I want this divorce over with ASAP!" motivation

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, bros402 said:

Well she moved out of the house so quickly because of Stella getting better.

Stella hasn't lived in the house for at least several months, she moved out wuickly because finalky feeling okay to get a divorce not because of the house.

1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

Stella hasn't lived in the house for at least several months, she moved out wuickly because finalky feeling okay to get a divorce not because of the house.

Yeah, but I imagine they didn't want Stella coming over and not seeing any of her mom's stuff there.

16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

They have known each other for a total of less than seven months.

It was stated in this episode that Stella and Wes had known each other for less than a month when they got married. In the previous episode, Wes said, "The past six months, I did whatever it took to make her happy, even when it didn't always make me happy." Later in the same episode, Stella said, "The next morning was the first time in six months of marriage that Wes and I didn't speak a word."

• Love 2

I think Ida (the mom) also saw Paul (the dad) setting the asking price too high as a way to delay selling the house. She kind of snapped when he suggested they take it off the market until he could fix it up to get a better selling price. That was a pretty obvious delay tactic. In the end, Paul was the one who decided to take the offer when he realized why Ida didn't want to come back to that house.

• Love 1

Finally caught this, and I thought it was pretty good. They dont make a lot of these light on drama high on feels and indie music type shows anymore, so I think I can get into this. Plus, I always liked Lucy Hale but I hated her awful screwed up story lines on Pretty Little Liars (which I watched until the most bitter of ends), so its nice to see her playing a more likable character, with a love interesting who isn't her damn high school teacher who spied on her and her friends because he was writing a shitty book about her ALSO underage friend he had a thing for. God PLL was weird. 

I think its a good premise. What do you do after all the "live like you were dying" romance has ended? How do you just start to go about dealing with the boring and crappy parts of everyday life? I like the actors as well, and that certainly helps some of the more cheesy dialogue, so thats a plus as well. I also cracked up at her husband telling her all the stuff he has fibbed about (my favorite movie isn't Love Actually) and him realizing now they can do and talk about normal couple stuff, and thats a whole new thing for them. "Do we want kids? Can we just have a quickie every once in awhile? Our sleeping arrangement is pretty uncomfortable to me", and I think thats an interesting take on a relationship. I hope they can stick it out, at least for awhile, before a CW love triangle invades. 

• Love 1

I think that, from what we have seen, the marriage was all kind of about Stella and making her happy and comfortable before she died. She and Wes were all romance all the time, and most of the talk was probably based around Stella and her wants and needs, because she was sick and didn't have much time left, while Wes would go on with his life when she died. Now that she isn't dying and they are actually going to have to be a more "normal" couple, they have to talk about each other equally, and take both of their needs into consideration. And she wants to get to know him for real now, beyond how he fits into her life. I think its an interesting way to do a romance, essentially working backwards. 

Their family is seriously in need of some counseling. Its like they've been in a state of arrested development for 8 years, or locked in crisis mode, and now that crisis mode is over and the future is hanging out there, all their issues are just exploding everywhere. 

• Love 3
On 3/19/2018 at 2:42 PM, tennisgurl said:

I think that, from what we have seen, the marriage was all kind of about Stella and making her happy and comfortable before she died. She and Wes were all romance all the time, and most of the talk was probably based around Stella and her wants and needs, because she was sick and didn't have much time left, while Wes would go on with his life when she died. Now that she isn't dying and they are actually going to have to be a more "normal" couple, they have to talk about each other equally, and take both of their needs into consideration. And she wants to get to know him for real now, beyond how he fits into her life. I think its an interesting way to do a romance, essentially working backwards. 

I think it's interesting too. It was a unique way of approaching the "I thought you didn't want kids" misunderstanding that I usually dislike. I can understand his not telling her he wanted children considering he thought he had a matter of months (maybe a few years) with her. It was sweet in a very sad way, and made me think about all of the things he had just accepted not being able to do with her that are suddenly possible. 

• Love 4

I liked this one. It's sappy, but I really like the way it shows the family dynamics, and how and why Stella was oblivious, and why her family made the choices it did. I like that she is not actually a fundamentally selfish person. It's not a guilt trip or a martyr complex driving her family.

I like Wes and am disappointed that they are introducing the love triangle with the oncologist. I think it makes more sense than usual, in that she probably never had any real sense of options in the past, but it's still hard for me to watch. I hate triangles and I don't know if I trust the show yet to handle it in a way I won't hate. Also, when Grant told her how he felt and she said she hadn't expected it, I was like: seriously? It wasn't subtle before then. Maybe she never watched tv before, either.

• Love 7

I loved the pilot, but what is keeping me from watching more episodes is the dreaded triangle. I love Wes and do not want to see his heart get broken by Stella falling for her oncologist. There was enough with her and Wes trying to navigate life as a new married couple that a triangle was not needed to keep things “interesting.”

• Love 5

I like how pretty much everyone other than Stella has PTSD over Stella's cancer.

Love triangles are stupid.

Why doesn't Stella have any scars? Or maybe she hasn't had her port out yet.

• Love 3

I don't really see the point of a love triangle, especially not now. I liked Dr. Grant but Stella's had a future for a few weeks at most and she and Wes haven't even outlasted the 6-8 months they originally believed they'd have, let the story breath for more than 3 episodes before introducing a new possible love interest. I'd much rather see Stella and Wes explore who they are as a couple and Stella explore who she is in general than a love triangle almost guaranteed to make everyone look terrible. There's plenty of story without going the triangle route.

• Love 9

I'm enjoying the other characters a lot more than Stella - one week volunteering in the hospital and she wants to be interfering in patient selection for clinical trials....? Oh, she induces such strong eye rolling. Agree that the romantic love triangle is unwanted.

But...I'm charmed by her family and her husband, so I'll be sticking around for now. 

• Love 4

When Stella decides to apply for a manager position, she learns another secret about her past, forcing her to figure out what she really wants to do with her life. Knowing that they need money, Wes starts secretly working on a project which upsets Stella. With the house sold, Peter and Aiden find themselves in an interesting living situation. Meanwhile, Aiden is ready to take on the responsibility of being a father, but learns some shocking news that changes things.

Promo:

Wes is a good husband... Diego is a good husband... Stella is blegh she's so pushy and judgy... I hate when characters need to feel important so they do things that aren't smart.. And Ugh in advance of her romance with the good doctor 

When I looked at the imdb for the show, I saw Dr. Grant was a regular I knew there was going to be a love triangle and I dreaded it, it's enough to make me not watch. It doesn't help that I find the actor creepy looking and not at all handsome that I could not suspend my disbelief that everyone would find him handsome. He is like the six hotest dude on the show behind Dylan Walsh and his dirty robe.

Does Stella ask anyone anything about themselves? It's been established that she has been hanging out with Sadie for a few weeks and this is the first she learned that she lives with her aunt and her parents aren't in her life.

• Love 5

So, I have been watching, but I've realized that this is a show that I'm ok with having on in the background while I do other stuff. It's a cute show, but nothing that's really grabbing my attention, even in this third episode in. 

There's no need for a triangle between Stella, Wes, and Dr. Grant. Right now, there's plenty of story to tell with Stella and Wes. I was totally fine with them going toward a story with them where they discover that they did marry for all the wrong reasons, which is why I thought they'd decide to get divorced and start over with their relationship. I simply don't need another guy to be in the way of Stella/Wes probably divorcing by the end of season. I would be fine with Dr. Grant being Stella's mentor, but not a love interest. So, for this, I am annoyed. 

I guess we'll be finding out, along with Stella, what else her family lied about. I mean, Stella is very self absorbed and a bit selfish, but her family also have lied about pretty much everything so they're not that much better in a different way. 

They could have a really strong show, but they're missing the mark on what they could be doing and going in a different direction than I would like. I also don't need this show to be all about Stella's cancer, but utilizing it more than a "oh, we lied to you during THIS time in your life because you were sick" way. They're using Stella's cancer stuff in the wrong way, in my opinion. I can't really explain it, but I feel like they could be using it as a way to let us sympathize with Stella and her family more. I think the issue is that this show isn't quite good with balancing the drama with the comedy yet. The pacing feels very off. 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, I have been watching, but I've realized that this is a show that I'm ok with having on in the background while I do other stuff. It's a cute show, but nothing that's really grabbing my attention, even in this third episode in. 

There's no need for a triangle between Stella, Wes, and Dr. Grant. Right now, there's plenty of story to tell with Stella and Wes. I was totally fine with them going toward a story with them where they discover that they did marry for all the wrong reasons, which is why I thought they'd decide to get divorced and start over with their relationship. I simply don't need another guy to be in the way of Stella/Wes probably divorcing by the end of season. I would be fine with Dr. Grant being Stella's mentor, but not a love interest. So, for this, I am annoyed. 

I guess we'll be finding out, along with Stella, what else her family lied about. I mean, Stella is very self absorbed and a bit selfish, but her family also have lied about pretty much everything so they're not that much better in a different way. 

They could have a really strong show, but they're missing the mark on what they could be doing and going in a different direction than I would like. I also don't need this show to be all about Stella's cancer, but utilizing it more than a "oh, we lied to you during THIS time in your life because you were sick" way. They're using Stella's cancer stuff in the wrong way, in my opinion. I can't really explain it, but I feel like they could be using it as a way to let us sympathize with Stella and her family more. I think the issue is that this show isn't quite good with balancing the drama with the comedy yet. The pacing feels very off. 

I agree - there is something off about the story development and the pacing. And Stella. Stella is very self-absorbed and selfish - it makes sense that she is. But so far, the only one who kind of seems to be annoyed by this is her boss at the coffee shop. Stella's illness seems to have put them all though hell. I mean, unintentionally, but still. You'd expect there to be some resentment there. I know she keeps saying "My life hasn't had any consequences!" but it still kind of doesn't. 

To compare it with Everwood since I thought the show had similar feels. In that show there was a character who was in a coma with a brain injury. His best friend was kind of a jerk because of it. He was in mourning. Once the guy got out of the coma he felt weird like there was too much pressure on him to be the way he was. Everyone else was kind of resentful of the hell he'd put them through and for not being able to instantly pick up where he'd left off. There were ripples. 

There are no ripples here. Stella got all the attention for years and years. Understandably but still. Her older sister seemed somewhat resentful but got over it instantly. Her brother seems resentful more of his parents than of Stella. Even with her marriage. That guy thought he was doing a great romantic gesture and now he's stuck in a real marriage far away from his family. I'd expect them to fight more. But it's all just "You didn't tell me you were a lawyer!" and then they move on. 

• Love 2

As soon as the young Doctor walked into the room I saw the writing on the wall. I do like that Stella is taking on more of a role in her volunteering and trying to help out Sadie. 

Aiden and his Dad hitting the club was good fun as was Wes and his babysitting fiasco.

• Love 2

I was not expecting a love triangle, especially NOW.  How annoying.  If it actually turns into a love triangle, I am out. I hate them under normal circumstances, but in this story where there is so much that hasn't even been touched yet, it is unwelcome and ridiculous. 

And, hey, Doc?  I don't think you should be telling a volunteer at the hospital that you wish you'd met her before she married.  I don't think that's in your job description.  I don't think that's appropriate.  And it might be considered harassment if you keep it up.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, izabella said:

And, hey, Doc?  I don't think you should be telling a volunteer at the hospital that you wish you'd met her before she married.  I don't think that's in your job description.  I don't think that's appropriate.  And it might be considered harassment if you keep it up.

Also, he didnt know that Stella and Wes only met 7 months ago so it was an additional layer of sleaze that he cpuld have wooed her away from her boyfriend/fiance. Seriously,  it's such a bad idea on all levels. Plus, I cant get past how unattractive I find that actor. He looks like a busted Shane West.

• Love 4

Riley Smith (Dr. Grant) is dating Lucy Hale in real life now, just a fun fact. He used to be really cute (shut up, I remember him in Disney's "Motocrossed"), but is so thin these days that it's aged him. Hope he is in good health. 

I don't care for the love triangle because I already love Wes so much, but I think it's realistic. Stella was sick from the time she was 15, when most girls start dating and meeting different types of guys. She got really lucky and married the first one she fell in love with, who also happens to be sweet and funny and adorable. I kind of wish they'd only been engaged or something when the show started, because I actually don't mind the thought of her dating around, just not at the expense of cute Wes and his feelings!

Spoiler

Luckily, I don't think this triangle will last long as Riley Smith was just cast as a regular in another pilot. 

Anyway, I am still really enjoying this show. It's a fun escape every week and is sweet and funny. Lucy Hale is quite a good comedic actress, which was not used enough on Pretty Little Liars. 

Edited by SallyAlbright
  • Love 6

I didn't hate this episode. I liked that we saw more of what really happened, like her parents fighting and pleading for Stella to be in the clinical trial (where she was the only survivor). Also, the love "triange" between Aiden and Peter (even though his name is listed at Paul on IMDB) and Lauren. I like that turn of events because it is almost unrelated to Stella. I imagine that this show is eventually going to become a charmingly dysfunctional family drama.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SallyAlbright said:

Riley Smith (Dr. Grant) is dating Lucy Hale in real life now, just a fun fact. He used to be really cute (shut up, I remember him in Disney's "Motocrossed"), but is so thin these days that it's aged him. Hope he is in good health.

Right there with you! My younger self loved me some Riley Smith in that movie! But he looked... different. It almost seemed like they purposely kept part of his face in shadows (which is weird because they said he lights up a room) like he had messed up his eyes or something. They looked real puffy in the crying scene, for sure (but he was crying to be fair). The last season was the first time I could see his face clearly and knew it was definitely him. 

I know they’re setting up the love triangle but maaaaaaaybe they won’t go the obvious route. I know they will but here’s to hoping they won’t! 

Does Carlos Pena look 12 to anyone else? I know he was on a Nickelodeon show but I cannot buy him as a husband and father... even if he is also one in real life. :/

4 hours ago, ketose said:

I imagine that this show is eventually going to become a charmingly dysfunctional family drama.

Fingers crossed! I was awwwww when Wes called his mother in law 'mom'. 

4 hours ago, ketose said:

I imagine that this show is eventually going to become a charmingly dysfunctional family drama.

Given the ratings I imagine this show is not going to eventually become anything.

• Love 1

Okay - since unless this show gets better ratings from here on out it is gonna get canned - do you think we'll learn what kind of cancer Stella had, or will they just stick with Cancer™?

It's really bugging me they won't even give a type like blood (Then it could be leukemia, lymphoma, OR myeloma! So many choices!), lung, bone, etc.

3 hours ago, bros402 said:

Okay - since unless this show gets better ratings from here on out it is gonna get canned - do you think we'll learn what kind of cancer Stella had, or will they just stick with Cancer™?

It's really bugging me they won't even give a type like blood (Then it could be leukemia, lymphoma, OR myeloma! So many choices!), lung, bone, etc.

Apparently, specific diagnosis is the territory of Jane the Virgin this week.

6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Given the ratings I imagine this show is not going to eventually become anything.

I'm hoping it'll get a chance at a second season given that the CW is expanding to a sixth night of programming next season and that this is a show that could pick up fans on Netflix over the summer. Fingers crossed, anyway. There's not much like it on TV anymore. 

think i'm out. hate the idea of a triangle. and clinical trials depend on more than funding: hospitals have committees; protocols must be approved. i get that shows often sacrifice reality for drama, but this is so far out there...

ETA

note to self: finish watching show before posting.

Edited by wonderwoman

I'm still learning who all the characters are.  Is Lauren the married girl her brother got pregnant and Dad slept with last night?  If so wouldn't she have been to where the brother lives before?  

8 minutes ago, Karen885 said:

I'm still learning who all the characters are.  Is Lauren the married girl her brother got pregnant and Dad slept with last night?  If so wouldn't she have been to where the brother lives before?  

Naw thats Marlene oor something like that.. This new character is someone who has some kind of past with widen and now has also banged the pops.. Because the show needs two triangles 

• Love 1

Oh no, suddenly, a wild love triangle appears! I know this is a CW show and its written into their shows contracts that a love triangle MUST happen, but did we have to have one already? I like Doctor Grant, but I love Wes and think that he and Stella have a cute relationship, and I am interesting in seeing how it goes, as its unique and not just another love triangle. But maybe it wont go there? 

I really liked the family stuff, and Wes bonding with Diego and Ida was really sweet to see. The family dynamic is certainly dysfunctional, but its also very charming, and I would much prefer focusing on that than on any love triangle nonsense. 

I hope Sadie sticks around, and doesn't die tragically near the end of the season. 

• Love 1

Let's scrap this premise.. Fast fwd to after the breakups.. And Ida decides her family is the worst and leaves..to live with her two former son in laws.. And she helps them recover and start anew... Also she takes care of the grandkids.. Cuz Diego got them in the divorce..  Two men mom in law and  some kids... I'll watch that

25 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Let's scrap this premise.. Fast fwd to after the breakups.. And Ida decides her family is the worst and leaves..to live with her two former son in laws.. And she helps them recover and start anew... Also she takes care of the grandkids.. Cuz Diego got them in the divorce..  Two men mom in law and  some kids... I'll watch that

Ida is my least favorite cast member, I wish she got hit by a bus or at keast moved far away.