Type keyword(s) to search

Life Sentence - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Lucy Hale is of course best known as Aria in Pretty Little Liars, but my favorite role of hers was Rose in Privileged. According to IMDB the first role I saw her in was also her first role: an episode of Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide, but I don't remember anything about Lucy's character in that episode. Maybe I should rewatch it some time. It is one of my favorite Nickelodeon series. Checking IMDB I notice that I've actually seen six of her first eight roles including the unaired pilot for Secrets of a Small Town. It was one of my favorite pilots that was not picked up to series.

The CW does not give one everloving shit what a 65-year-old person thinks* but while the story looks interesting, the soundtrack is annoyingly obtrusive to me. (Not to say that a trailer is always indicative of how a show will be, but in this case I'm pretty sure it is.)

* Although I'm fairly certain I have more disposable income than 90% of teens and working millennials.

Stella learns that the cancer she thought would kill her has been cured, forcing her to face the consequences of her "live in the moment" decisions. She is also shocked to discover that her family hid their problems from her: Her parents have fallen out of love; her sister gave up her dreams of starting a family to care for her; and her brother deals Adderall to soccer moms

I never really like pilots, but this show has the potential to be my new Hart of Dixie-type cute guilty pleasure. I'll admit that I really like Lucy Hale (and her adorable haircut), so I think that's a big factor. However, I miss these type of WB/CW dramedies that are rarely on TV anymore so I hope this does relatively well. 

• Love 10
(edited)

The cast is good, but I really hope this show tries to depict young adult cancer somewhat accurately. In real life, the doctor would not say cured - they would say there is no evidence of disease. Stella would also have a whoooooole lot of chemo brain and would probably be infertile (Though I bet they would've spent the money on fertility preservation). At the least, make her a bit fatigued, she's been in and out of treatment for 8 years. IRL it would take years to recover. They could at least make it take half a season of her needing to build her endurance back up.

I'm wondering what kind of cancer she has - since there are a *lot* of cancers. I wonder if they will mention any young adult cancer organizations/have any in-show analogs for it (Stupid Cancer hosts CancerCon every April, for example - a CancerCon would probably make a very fun episode).

Sorry, I have cancer (Diagnosed at 24), so I have to nitpick things like this.

Edited by bros402
  • Love 10
36 minutes ago, bros402 said:

They could at least make it take half a season of her needing to build her endurance back up.

Everyone is different. My sister and brother-in-law went through 5 years and 8 years of cancer treatments and met doing a mini triathlon shortly after the were cancer free.

To be honest, I'm not so sure I liked it. It had some solid moments, but the pilot was very shaky in general. I get that we're at the end of one story as well as the start of a new one, but I felt whiplashed with all the secrets pouring out. 

I think it's cute and the cast is pretty solid. I just can't figure out which characters I like and which ones I don't. I do think I like the idea, but I need a few more episodes to decide how much I enjoy it. This episode definitely felt more like a movie, especially with the ending. I think when the second episode airs, it'll probably be more even for me. 

Plus, my Wednesdays are pretty empty. I really don't have much else to watch. 

• Love 1

Damn.. I still don't like Lucy hale... Her character was unlikeable and kinda selfish and worse oblivious..  Did enjoy almost every other character.. Mom and dads blow up at the party was raw... I felt for Wes whos been bending over backwards for Stella.. And her sister (well Ina older sibling who's had to sacrifice foe my younger siblings)  so I understood 

And of course to top it off.. Our poor befuddled white heroine dumped all her problems on some black girl who selflessly  gives her sage advice and helps her see the light.. To only then walk away because she obviously has no problems 

I wasn't really sure what to expect going into this show, but overall I'm pretty sure I liked it. It's hard to tell with pilots, but I'll keep watching for sure.

I thought the acting was good overall and Lucy in particular did a great job. After seven seasons of Pretty Little Liars, I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to see her as anyone other than Aria, but both Stella's character and Lucy's acting were so different here that it really wasn't hard to separate them. I thought the show had a great balance between drama and comedy - nothing was completely hilarious, but I found myself chuckling more than I thought I would. 

There were a few little problems I had - I wasn't a big fan of the voiceover, which seemed a little too perky and upbeat even during the darker moments. It lessened the impact of a lot of scenes and just felt kind of unnecessary. I agree with whoever above said that Stella is very self-absorbed, so that was a little hard to deal with, but I do think it's realistic and something that she'll end up overcoming. I liked that little self-aware moment near the end - "I'm complaining about my problems to a cancer patient." 

I did think the show tried to hard to be "adult" and "sexy." I really didn't need that description in the beginning about the hours-long sex Stella and Wes have every night amidst hundreds of candles. And the smack on the butt and the "do you like that" in the one scene was over-the-top cringeworthy. Hopefully that forced "sexiness" won't continue, it just seems unnecessary and unnatural on a show like this.

The only other real problem I had was that I felt the pacing was too fast in the beginning - I would have liked more establishment of Stella and her family's life in the weeks/months leading up to finding out she's not going to die. It would have made the abrupt changes afterward have more impact. But I'm assuming we're going to see more contrast between then and now in future episodes, so I'll withhold judgment on that for the most part.

• Love 1

I actually liked this show a lot. It was kind of quirky in an odd way and I enjoyed it.

Also this is kind of an original idea, at least for me. I haven’t seen anything like it. And the concept is interesting to me, Stella is now 25 but she’s never had a real life since the age of 15. Everyone has protected her and just made things fun for her. This has an odd vibe but I’m kind of into it already.

Plus.. I like Lucy Hale. I loved her on the short lived Privliged show and followed her on PLL(she was my drawn to that show)where I for the most part disliked Aria, but I sort of like the character Stella, so far anyway. 

• Love 3

I liked this episode and think it is a really interesting concept. I think it would be better if we had gotten to see more of her when she was sick to really build the drama, but obviously they wanted to kick off the premise early on.

Stella did seem a little self-centered, but if her family has been lying to her and rearranging their lives for her since she was a teenager, that's kind of expected. Her sister annoyed me though. Stella didn't ask her to give up a scholarship or have kids early or do any of that. If the family all chose to lie to her and not face their problems that is their choice. It seems that Stella had plenty of time through the years where she wasn't at death's door, so maybe they could have told her some stuff?

• Love 2

I think Lifetime or Hallmark or one of those channels make some of them. Or maybe used to make them. I don't watch a lot of stuff on those channels.

The pilot had a lot of exposition to setup the premise but I liked it enough to keep watching to see where they're going with this. It helps that I like Lucy Hale.

Yes, cancer movies are a genre. The one she was watching was one that starred Charlize Theron  Keanu Reeves and it came out right alongside another cancer movie starring Winona Ryder and the plots were very similar and they came out the same year. There’s also A Walk to remember. I’m surprised she wasn’t watching that one.

Anyways yeah.. it’s not stellas fault she’s self-centered. If no one was telling her the truth and hiding things from her, how else should she be? She’s never had to work or go to school since she was a teenager and her life has been obviously in a stagnant because of it. 

But yeah.. I don’t get her sisters issues. The school thing, kind of, it makes sense that she would stay at home to help take care of stella but having kids and starting a family isn’t on Stella. 

When the INS unexpectedly shows up to Stella and Wes’ apartment to check the legitimacy of their marriage, they realize that they need to defend their marriage or Wes might be deported back to London. Peter and Ida decide to sell the house, but when an offer comes in, Peter hesitates on following through. Stella tries to help Aiden step up to his responsibilities and to stop avoiding reality. Meanwhile, Elizabeth is having writer’s block and Stella thinks she has a fix, but Elizabeth’s husband Diego is not overjoyed by the idea.

On 3/8/2018 at 2:49 AM, biakbiak said:

Everyone is different. My sister and brother-in-law went through 5 years and 8 years of cancer treatments and met doing a mini triathlon shortly after the were cancer free.

All depends on the treatments, too.

But Stella had a terminal cancer as a young adult. They were probably throwing the strongest stuff at her before the trial drug (and I am guessing it was immunotherapy, which can take the wind from your sails).

Wow is this show not for me. The me first/willfully oblivious attitude of Stella grated, but not all of that is her fault considering the bubble she was kept in. For me, the implied blame on her of all the bad choices and shitty circumstances of her family grated even more. Sister, no one forced you to have those kids. Brother, lots of people with terminally ill siblings manage to not be losers. Parents, you didn’t have to ignore your other kids and/or fuck up your own lives because of Stella’s cancer. 

• Love 2

I enjoyed it.  I am curious to see if Stella and her hubby call it quits on the marriage, shortly.  I thought they were going to decide to split before the end of the episode, tbh.  Excited to see how the season unfolds, and what the rest of the season is going to entail, seeing how they spilled so many of the secrets in the pilot.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, ketose said:

They referred to cancer movies quite a bit. Aside from "The Fault in Our Stars," is that really a genre?

In books, it's referred to as sick-lit. I'm not sure there's an equivalent nickname/abbreviation for cancer movies, but they definitely exist.

13 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yes, cancer movies are a genre. The one she was watching was one that starred Charlize Theron  Keanu Reeves and it came out right alongside another cancer movie starring Winona Ryder and the plots were very similar and they came out the same year. There’s also A Walk to remember. I’m surprised she wasn’t watching that one.

I'll add Brian's Song, Terms of Endearment, Marvin's Room, My Sister's Keeper, Stepmom (1998 movie starring Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandon) and One True Thing (also from 1998, starring Meryl Streep, William Hurt, and Renee Zellwegger) to the list of cancer movies. Autumn in New York was the Winona Ryder/Richard Gere one. Sweet November was the Charlize Theron/Keanu Reeves movie.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Iguana said:

Wow is this show not for me. The me first/willfully oblivious attitude of Stella grated, but not all of that is her fault considering the bubble she was kept in. For me, the implied blame on her of all the bad choices and shitty circumstances of her family grated even more. Sister, no one forced you to have those kids. Brother, lots of people with terminally ill siblings manage to not be losers. Parents, you didn’t have to ignore your other kids and/or fuck up your own lives because of Stella’s cancer. 

When I first heard the premise for this show (before I knew it was on the CW or starred Lucy Hale), I thought it was going to be a serious drama and that it would have someone older. If it was someone who got diagnosed as a 30-something, she could have quit her job to travel around the world, decided to leave a relationship to "protect" her partner and have him move on, given away all her money, been a bitch to people who annoyed her, etc. Where it was more about her own choices/actions then just having to deal with coming out of a bubble other people put her in.

Maybe we'll get some of that to come. 

• Love 2

I'm really hung up on how she didn't wear her hat at work after being told it was required, and didn't take it seriously even after the boss called her on it. All the other stuff, I get that people actively hid it from her and I can sort of forgive her for it. She did get a job right away when she found out there were money problems, and she did agree to do better at listening with her husband pretty quickly after she found out he'd been lying to her a lot. It's a good sign that she's willing to try now that she's being asked to.

I like the premise of the show. I've seen a number of explorations of what to do with you think your life is ending soon, or the world itself is ending soon, but I don't think I've seen the reverse: what to do when you find out you were wrong and now have to face the consequences of that. I'm not sure yet if I am going to like the execution, but the idea is interesting enough for me to hang in and find out.

• Love 2

I assume life for Stella wasn't all free cakes and trips to Paris. It might be good to go over the months and years she spent either being in hospitals or too sick to do anything. The other thing I have to wonder is if she'll get sick again for a cliffhanger in a season or two.

This show is kind of the flipside of "Rectify." Except on that show, everyone was messed up, including the protagonist. Stella is just kind of innocent because she never fully entered adulthood. Her family sacrificed for Stella, then convinced themselves that she was the reason for all their unhappiness.

• Love 3

Paul: What about college? 
Stella: College is for dorks.

Stella: I did the same thing every desperate millennial with a funky haircut does. I became a barista.

Wes: Well, maybe it's a good thing that [your mom]'s taking some time to sort stuff out, you know? You can't really have a happy marriage without being honest about who you are.
Stela: Whose side are you on?
Wes: Your side, babe. I'm always on your side. You know, unless we were on a boat and being the same side as you is gonna make the boat tip. I mean then I would obviously move to the other side, for your safety. But, no, I would I would still be on your side metaphorically.

Stella: I had to go to work, where I learned a fun new way to spell Julie. J-O-O-L-I-E. I'm having a lot of difficulty with these names.
Coffee coworker: Oh, yeah, I just draw little pictures.

Stella: What do you know about growing up? You still mix chocolate mil k in your mouth.
Aiden: Because that's the right way to do it. Look, I know enough about growing up to know it's not for me.

Wes: Stella, I'm sorry I didn't tell you I wanted to have kids. I really am. It's just at the time we didn't have a a future. But now we do, ­and I'm so happy about that. I want to be honest about who we are. I'll go first. "Love Actually" ­isn't my favorite movie. 
[Stella gasps]
Stella: Okay, go on.
Wes: I don't love hard-boiled eggs. I mean, they're your favorite, but they're not mine. I don't love the music of Sara Bareilles either. I mean, I'm British. I can't allow myself to be that happy. Also, I'd like you to spank me, maybe not all the time, just maybe during sex or if we're playing a team sport and I do a really good job. I can't keep going outside every time I have to fart. I mean, winter's coming, I'm not gonna be able to spend that kind of time outdoors. Also I don't love being your pillow. It is nice for a minute, but then my arm falls asleep and there's a real chance I'm developing permanent nerve damage. If I can't lift my hands above my head, how am I ever gonna wash my hair?

It's hard for me to be too mad about Stella's blissful ignorance because her family chose to keep all these secrets from her. She does seem a little bit immature but that's understandable considering that she's been living in a bubble of love since she was a teenager. The brief flashbacks we saw show that her family did everything they could to be loving, supportive, and encouraging so it's also a little hard to really paint them as the bad guys in this. They wanted to give her a happy perfect life so that she could focus on getting better rather than worrying about them.

To me, that's the most realistic aspect of the show - these people were all trying to do what they thought was the right thing. For her parents and siblings, doing that for almost a decade meant squashing some of their feelings which in turn caused resentment to build up. But even knowing that, Lizzie isn't mad at Stella. She's just frustrated that her life turned out this way due to the choices she made.

I'm glad that now everyone can finally stop holding their breaths and let it all out. I'm especially glad that Wes let out that long list of things that he'd fibbed about. Most of it was pretty minor, but I understand why she was upset about it and felt like she didn't know who she was (even though I'm pretty sure that the initial context of his fibs was Stella making statements like "I love hard boiled eggs!" and Wes saying, "Oh, really? Uh, me too!" as opposed to him just making up random things to deliberately deceive her).

• Love 3
On 3/9/2018 at 6:54 AM, Iguana said:

I disliked it as well.  First, I do have a problem with the "cure" that they seem to gloss over. I don't know how anyone could really believe in a cure.  I would say a year or so would pass before people really let go on their "all is well" act. 

I also hated the family putting all their issues on Stella when she never asked for any of it.  It also was just not substantial in anyway... lightly glossing over what should have been much greater issues.  I don't see where the story can go and I don't really care to watch any of them.  It just wasn't enjoyable.

• Love 1
On 3/9/2018 at 9:37 AM, Miss Bones said:

I enjoyed it.  I am curious to see if Stella and her hubby call it quits on the marriage, shortly.  I thought they were going to decide to split before the end of the episode, tbh.  Excited to see how the season unfolds, and what the rest of the season is going to entail, seeing how they spilled so many of the secrets in the pilot.

I liked it too. I was surprised at how it seems (for now) she and the husband are staying together and pretty well-matched since he knew where to look for her and brought wine which is what she said she needed. At first when the other barista said “hottie alert” I thought, wow, already introducing the new love interest in episode one. Then it turned out to be her brother. :/ Hey, it’s the first episode. I’m still learning who everyone is! So we’ll see if they stay together and avoid the temptation to introduce a new love interest this season because you gotta have that love triangle.

It had a sliiiight Gilmore Girls vibe in my opinion with the quick banter. But I say that as someone who stopped watching GG in the 3rd season. 

I didn’t think based on the preview that I’d like it as much as I did. Excited to see where it goes from here!

Edited by UGAmp
  • Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:09 AM, bros402 said:

The cast is good, but I really hope this show tries to depict young adult cancer somewhat accurately. In real life, the doctor would not say cured - they would say there is no evidence of disease. Stella would also have a whoooooole lot of chemo brain and would probably be infertile (Though I bet they would've spent the money on fertility preservation). At the least, make her a bit fatigued, she's been in and out of treatment for 8 years. IRL it would take years to recover. They could at least make it take half a season of her needing to build her endurance back up.

I'm wondering what kind of cancer she has - since there are a *lot* of cancers. I wonder if they will mention any young adult cancer organizations/have any in-show analogs for it (Stupid Cancer hosts CancerCon every April, for example - a CancerCon would probably make a very fun episode).

Sorry, I have cancer (Diagnosed at 24), so I have to nitpick things like this.

Stupid Cancer?  CancerCon?  Fantastic--I had no idea.  I'm too old now to have "early" anything, but watching the Parkland kids, I have new respect for young people shaking up every system in the world, including cancer.

Re the show, I didn't care for it much, largely because it's a self-described comedy, but it seemed more "drama-dy"--although there was definitely tragedy involved with all these people and their missed opportunities.  "Generosity resentment" is an interesting theme.  I'm going to give it another shot. 

11 hours ago, BooBear said:

I don't see where the story can go

This is exactly my fear as this show goes on. The whole premise is set up around Stella coming to terms with her family, choices, and circumstances now that she actually has a full life to live. How long can the consequences of the family's secrets and resentments drag on? And...then what? Unless they either move away from the "girl who's no longer dying" storyline, or end up having Stella's cancer come back (which I doubt and don't think I'd like), I can't see this show really going anywhere.

I like the idea a lot, but I think it would have worked better as a movie as opposed to a series.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, UGAmp said:

I liked it too. I was surprised at how it seems (for now) she and the husband are staying together and pretty well-matched since he knew where to look for her and brought wine which is what she said she needed. At first when the other barista said “hottie alert” I thought, wow, already introducing the new love interest in episode one. Then it turned out to be her brother. :/ Hey, it’s the first episode. I’m still learning who everyone is! So we’ll see if they stay together and avoid the temptation to introduce a new love interest this season because you gotta have that love triangle.

It had a sliiiight Gilmore Girls vibe in my opinion with the quick banter. But I say that as someone who stopped watching GG in the 3rd season. 

I didn’t think based on the preview that I’d like it as much as I did. Excited to see where it goes from here!

It's funny you mention GG because the whole "impulsive marriage that was actually a good match" reminded me of the pilot of "Bunheads," except ASP ended that relationship pretty quick.

2 hours ago, marinaalexis said:

This is exactly my fear as this show goes on. The whole premise is set up around Stella coming to terms with her family, choices, and circumstances now that she actually has a full life to live. How long can the consequences of the family's secrets and resentments drag on? And...then what? Unless they either move away from the "girl who's no longer dying" storyline, or end up having Stella's cancer come back (which I doubt and don't think I'd like), I can't see this show really going anywhere.

I like the idea a lot, but I think it would have worked better as a movie as opposed to a series.

The creators mentioned in an interview I read that they feel like the show becomes what it's supposed to be and hits its stride in episode 3. I am curious to see where they will go too.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, BooBear said:

I disliked it as well.  First, I do have a problem with the "cure" that they seem to gloss over. I don't know how anyone could really believe in a cure.  I would say a year or so would pass before people really let go on their "all is well" act. 

I also hated the family putting all their issues on Stella when she never asked for any of it.  It also was just not substantial in anyway... lightly glossing over what should have been much greater issues.  I don't see where the story can go and I don't really care to watch any of them.  It just wasn't enjoyable.

Five years is usually the point where they consider the risk of most cancers coming back to be low.

8 hours ago, candall said:

Stupid Cancer?  CancerCon?  Fantastic--I had no idea.  I'm too old now to have "early" anything, but watching the Parkland kids, I have new respect for young people shaking up every system in the world, including cancer.

Re the show, I didn't care for it much, largely because it's a self-described comedy, but it seemed more "drama-dy"--although there was definitely tragedy involved with all these people and their missed opportunities.  "Generosity resentment" is an interesting theme.  I'm going to give it another shot. 

Yeah, CancerCon seems cool - I watched the panels they streamed last year, and it seemed awesome. 

I hope they explore some of that aspect - especially since there isn't that much in terms of young adult support - I go to one of the biggest cancer centers in the US, and their outpatient clinic near me has no young adult support - none of the hospitals near me have them either.

I im

5 hours ago, SallyAlbright said:

The creators mentioned in an interview I read that they feel like the show becomes what it's supposed to be and hits its stride in episode 3. I am curious to see where they will go too.

Yeah as mentioned above I see it probably settling into a CW family dramedy rather than focusing on her and her cancer.

I suppose they could have flashbacks to when she's sick, if they want to look at how her life wasn't all fun and games while dying, and what led her family to make the choices they did during that time. I have no idea what they've planned, but I'm curious to find out. It could either be fairly serious, looking back as well as forward, or they could just turn the page and make it lighter fare going forward.  I hadn't heard that they were billing it as a comedy. If so, then I'm guessing not too many flashbacks to the sickness. We really don't need a lot more cancer movie stuff, so I guess we'll see. A new take on this kind of thing would be welcome.

If the premise itself is limited, they can also make it one and done like they did with that show last year, about the guy who thought the world was ending, and was living every day as its last. Or, as has been suggested, it could become a family drama if the ratings are good, with or without the post-dying theme. There are lots of possibilities for a pivot. Another character could get cancer and the family would have to decide whether to handle it the same way or not, for example. It's a fairly flexible set up at this point. I think it all will depend on ratings, whether and how long it lasts and in what direction they take it.

Edited by possibilities
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I suppose they could have flashbacks to when she's sick, if they want to look at how her life wasn't all fun and games while dying, and what led her family to make the choices they did during that time. I have no idea what they've planned, but I'm curious to find out. It could either be fairly serious, looking back as well as forward, or they could just turn the page and make it lighter fare going forward.  I hadn't heard that they were billing it as a comedy. If so, then I'm guessing not too many flashbacks to the sickness. We really don't need a lot more cancer movie stuff, so I guess we'll see. A new take on this kind of thing would be welcome.

If the premise itself is limited, they can also make it one and done like they did with that show last year, about the guy who thought the world was ending, and was living every day as its last. Or, as has been suggested, it could become a family drama if the ratings are good, with or without the post-dying theme. There are lots of possibilities for a pivot. Another character could get cancer and the family would have to decide whether to handle it the same way or not, for example. It's a fairly flexible set up at this point. I think it all will depend on ratings, whether and how long it lasts and in what direction they take it.

Stella could also have a recurrence scare. I can't imagine they would not cover scan anxiety on a show about cancer.

So, Wes is just a typical middle child then? I mean I know it’s heightend because his little sister was sick but his issues are actually something most middle children kind of feel? 

I didn’t really like this episode as much as the pilot.

I guess the format of the show is going to involve at least 2 major personal revelations per episode. However, we did get a small look at how Stella's mother saw the house because of Stella's illness and all the other bad things that happened to the family.

6 minutes ago, ketose said:

I guess the format of the show is going to involve at least 2 major personal revelations per episode. However, we did get a small look at how Stella's mother saw the house because of Stella's illness and all the other bad things that happened to the family.

That was interesting. There is probably other things and places that Stella remembers differently because of her illness.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I think Wes is the husband and Aiden is the brother.

Oh, okay. Sorry I got the names confused. It’s only episode 2, I’m still learning. I just don’t know how I feel about this episode, I thought the pilot was fun and silly, this episode was a little different.

But most pilots have a different tone, as they are normally shot a few months ahead of other episodes because you don’t know if there’s even going to be a show so different tone.

As I said I am curious about the other things Stella remembers vs what the actual truth was. 

• Love 1