Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Flaming Hot Cheetos, Literally

• Start Topic

The governor's office send cases of Takki chips and flaming Cheetos and tampons.  Everyone is happy until they learn its a bribe to release the hostages.  Piscatella is powerless to stop the riot.  Tucky helps Donuts escape.  

It would be nice to buy that the govenor and Nita are honest about wanting to help them out, but I knew it wouldn't be true. Of course they want the hostages released; why would the inmates buy anything else? Either way, Nita shutting down Piscatella was all kinds of awesome. 

I feel bad for Nicky; Lorna's a pretty awful person, because she blames everyone but herself and continues to do awful shit and can get away with it because of her cute behaviour.

Again, the things I think we're supposed to find funny just aren't. I get they're going for dark humor here, but I'm just not laughing. Maybe it's because I'm not in the right mood tonight for it, but I didn't find Bayley's failed suicide attempt funny. That is a man crying out for help, here. 

Nice to see a Poussey cameo in Taystee's flashback scene. I knew I missed her, especially with them memorializing her every episode, but seeing her definitely gave me a verbal reminder.

Piper joining Taystee and her group is not surprising, and I love that Alex nailed Piper with her needing to be a leader. Also loved that Piper was told that nobody liked her and her response was "Story of my life."

• Love 12

I really feel sorry for Bayley at this point because he is clearly suffering. He needs help, and I don't think the drinking the dye was funny. I think it would have been just as poignant had they caught him about to do something and then realise that he needs serious help and needs to talk to someone.  I also think someone needs to tell him that it was an accident on his part. He didn't mean to kill Poussey (and had Suzanne not been on top of him, she wouldn't have died). 

Good for Nicky to tell Lorna off. I thought that was really insensitive. (and I actually had a thought that she was lying because she felt guilty). 
I'm surprised we haven't seen more Poussey flashbacks. 

• Love 4

Goddammit, now I'm going to have to get some cheetos. And Takis, if I can find them.

I see that they used literally literally in the title. That was a nice surprise at the end.

21 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Lorna did have sex with her husband after they got married, but is the timing right that she could be pregnant or is this her usual crazy?

I too want to know this. She's totally crazy enough to think it but I'm thinking that the way Nicky went off on her about it will end up meaning that she really is pregnant. Not that she should be using Nicky for sex though.

• Love 2

Oh, God, the moment I heard Poussey I started to cry like a baby.

I know Piper is sort of universally hated here, but I respect the fact that she's always ready to fight for what she thinks it's fair. I mean, I didn't have the feeling that she was trying to be part of the action for narcissistic reasons: imo, she honestly thinks helping is the right thing to do.

Morello's pregnant? I need a test or a baby in order to believe that. On the other hand, the sad fact is that she isn't in love with Nicky. Or can't accept she's in love with Nicky, I don't know which one. It's a pity because Nicky really loves her, warts and all. She can deal with Lorna's craziness better than anyone else. 

Speaking of which, Boo and Tucky's friendship is still one of the best things this show has ever done. It warms my heart, honestly. 

• Love 10

I can't say I hate Piper, I just find her boring and to me Taystee is the real star of the show, I think it's all about her.

I can't stand Lorna also hate Suzanne and yeah it's her crazy ass fault Poussey is dead. Get off my screen.

• Love 5

Boo with the suit on (especially with the upside down flag pin) playing the Law and Order theme might have been the funniest thing this season.

Intersting that more and more people seem to be over it with respect to the riot and more than a little bored. Daya and now Maria were running things now they are outside. Freida found some friends to hang out in the pool, and many of the other women were taking part in the trial to kill time. And it has only been a day. I suspect things will start to fizzle out soon.

• Love 4

Lol I'm sorry, on what planet do inmates get to continually escalate demands in a hostage situation? Does not happen, as it's a lose lose for the authorities. They go so far, then the place gets leveled to minimize casualties. This is nice for drama building, but it's begging reality for me at this point. And the show's lost its damn humor, not any funny points up thru epi 6.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Colorado David said:

Lol I'm sorry, on what planet do inmates get to continually escalate demands in a hostage situation? Does not happen, as it's a lose lose for the authorities. They go so far, then the place gets leveled to minimize casualties. This is nice for drama building, but it's begging reality for me at this point. And the show's lost its damn humor, not any funny points up thru epi 6.

Have they escalated demands? They posted their list of demands on the main door. The governor met the bottom two demands, which were also the easiest ones to meet then had his aide give a super non-committal response about the others. Not saying that taking hostages is the right thing to do, but I don't think they are making up more demands as the riot progresses.

• Love 14
(edited)

cheetos and tikis now more. escalation. i would not put up with this. sleep gas the entire prison. you can't get all of of it, but most of it. sleep em, remove the inmates, incarceration. sorry gals, you need to learn. no one ever makes you break laws, that is not the system. you think that's the only way to get ahead, you are WRONG.

Edited by Colorado David
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Colorado David said:

cheetos and tikis now more. escalation. i would not put up with this. sleep gas the entire prison. you can't get all of of it, but most of it. sleep em, remove the inmates, incarceration. sorry gals, you need to learn. no one ever makes you break laws, that is not the system. you think that's the only way to get ahead, you are WRONG.

Except sleeping gas isn't really a thing, unless you don't really care about killing the hostages. I know the show isn't that close to reality but going that route would just be too much for me.

• Love 1

I loved the melodic reprise of The Survival Ballad of Frieda the Wonder Scout as she was passing out her bunker invites. 

I mean, yes, she has killed multiple people, Bobbitted her husband (with a dull knife, at that), and who knows what else, but at heart she is still that Girl Survivalist, progeny of a paranoid prepper. And there is something upbeat about that. 

• Love 8
On 6/12/2017 at 11:13 PM, DianeDobbler said:

When Lorna said she was pregnant, I swear for a second I thought Nikki was the father and what a plot twist. Then I remembered biology, but this show can do that to you.

I need a ha-ha emoji for this post! 

Seeing Poussey made me get all misty.  *sniff*

I loved the melodic reprise of The Survival Ballad of Frieda the Wonder Scout as she was passing out her bunker invites. 
I mean, yes, she has killed multiple people, Bobbitted her husband (with a dull knife, at that), and who knows what else

How do you even remember this??  they take too long, and over too many years to reveal the backstories.  Only ones I remember are Maritza (Stealing luxury cars), Red, Tastee and the lady who got released/Daya.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

How do you even remember this??  they take too long, and over too many years to reveal the backstories.  Only ones I remember are Maritza (Stealing luxury cars), Red, Tastee and the lady who got released/Daya.

The song or what Frieda was in for (well, what Frieda mentioned doing... I'm not sure what she specifically got in for. Although if I had to bet it would be shooting a cop with his own gun. Pretty sure that was Frieda)

The introduction and way-back story were just a few episodes back. The full knife Bobbiting is just hard to forget.

• Love 1
On 6/9/2017 at 8:45 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I feel bad for Nicky; Lorna's a pretty awful person, because she blames everyone but herself and continues to do awful shit and can get away with it because of her cute behaviour.

I do too, and Lorna is pretty awful. But to be fair, I think she's just a more functional version of Suzanne - they are both mentally ill. I miss Lora Petty this season, speaking of mentally ill. 

On 6/11/2017 at 11:41 AM, Helena Dax said:

I know Piper is sort of universally hated here, but I respect the fact that she's always ready to fight for what she thinks it's fair. I mean, I didn't have the feeling that she was trying to be part of the action for narcissistic reasons: imo, she honestly thinks helping is the right thing to do.

I've disliked Piper immensely in different seasons, but in this one she's reasonably chill. So I don't mind her at all right now.

• Love 3
On 6/10/2017 at 1:43 PM, Daisy said:

I also think someone needs to tell him that it was an accident on his part. He didn't mean to kill Poussey (and had Suzanne not been on top of him, she wouldn't have died). 

Someone also needs to tell Taystee that Poussey wasn't murdered.  Murder requires intent.  She has thrown the word 'murdered' around all season.  

I'm not buying Nicky suddenly being gaga over Lorna.  It feels very manufactured and inorganic.  Nicky's the cynical realist.  She knows Lorna's batshit cuckoo and only gay for the stay.  I can see Nicky being fond of her and enjoying sex with her but head over heels?  I don't see any basis for that.  

I'm not comfortable with the diabetic guard still not having insulin or Caputo and the other guy being locked in porta-potties this long.  They just killed a character in a brutal accident.  They better not go to that well again this season.  

And I'm tired of the Poussey memorializing.  I think there's a reason shows typically limit grief scenes to an ep or two, especially dramedies.  No one wants to watch it.  

I don't get why bailey is convinced he is "homicidal". is he just listening to Taystee's rants on TV and forgetting his own mindset. he was one of the few guards trying to do the right thing, is he seriously deluding hissed into thinking that he intended to kill Poussey? Hell he didn't even intend to hurt her. It wasn't one of those push her down the stairs out of anger but not mean to kill her things, he was active trying to calm down a situation. Suzanne gets off scott-free on the blame, they even let her lead a "spirit" service for Poussey while Bailey is painted as the viciously killer of her? His weight killed her. Basically it's the equivalent to a chest full of books crushing Poussey and nobody doing anything about it and then afterwards fully blaming the chest of books itself for killing her. 

And the big problem with this is I don't know what the show is intending. Do they intend to show us that Taystee and her friends may be consumed with grief and are lashing out at others trying to blame something or someone for Poussey's death? But it seems more like the show wants us to condemn Bailey as a murderer as well (since Taystee is almost always painted as a hero in each episode) and ignore all the facts about the events of the death. The message of the show just is not clear

• Love 3

I'm having a problem with Maria being all "I'm over this riot". She's the one responsible for taking it to the next level. She put Caputo and the stripper guard in the porta potties. I get that she doesn't want more time on her sentence, but she needs to tell the others to take it down a notch.
I agree that Poussey wasn't murdered, it would be considered manslaughter. Of course the prison company (forget the name?) is responsible for not training guards properly but it wasn't an intentional murder.
Really having a problem with the Dogget/Donuts storyline. Just no. I'm with Boo in my disgust.

I'm getting a little weary of the riot at this point, but I'm enjoying some of the things like the talent show (I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff), Boo in her suit being a lawyer, and the inmate file Jeopardy game.

• Love 1

Goddammit, now I'm going to have to get some cheetos. And Takis, if I can find them.

I had to look up "Takis" on the internet. They don't sell them in my midwest part of the world. Never heard of 'em. Now I must have them!

• Love 1

I saw Takis on some tv show and then passed them in the supermarket and grabbed them, curious.  They're not my thing, and I love Flaming Hot Cheetos.  I thought they were kind of like Sun Chips rolled into little tubes with a vinegary/hot spice coating.  My 17 year old said they're popular among teens. 

I just saw Takis in the gas station for the first time today. Or maybe they've been there and I just never noticed. There seem to be a lot of flavors, but they all looked spicy. I love flaming hot Cheetos too so I decided to stick with those.

Cheetos sure got a lot of advertising out of this episode and the one before it!

22 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

I'm having a problem with Maria being all "I'm over this riot". She's the one responsible for taking it to the next level. She put Caputo and the stripper guard in the porta potties. I get that she doesn't want more time on her sentence, but she needs to tell the others to take it down a notch.
I agree that Poussey wasn't murdered, it would be considered manslaughter. Of course the prison company (forget the name?) is responsible for not training guards properly but it wasn't an intentional murder.
Really having a problem with the Dogget/Donuts storyline. Just no. I'm with Boo in my disgust.

I'm getting a little weary of the riot at this point, but I'm enjoying some of the things like the talent show (I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff), Boo in her suit being a lawyer, and the inmate file Jeopardy game.

girlfriend was all over it the moment she realised she could still benefit from being good. I'm over Maria. 

• Love 2

I think a reason that Taystee constantly saying at Bailey murdered Poussey keeps making me feel so awful is because while WE see that Bailey is filled with remorse and is trying to turn himself in and is clearly free falling into a totally mental break down over his guilt, Taystee doesn't get to see that. For all she knows, Bailey is out there, skipping around drinking Coors Lights without a care in the world. I wonder if she would be so harsh if she knew how awful he felt about what happened? And, as others have said, it wasn't a murder, it was, at worst, probably involuntary manslaughter. I mean, she's still dead no matter what, and Bailey should have consequences for what happened, but he wasn't really the bad guy here. It was the company that didn't train him well enough and made the whole prison a powder keg to save money. If anyone is a murder, its them.

I mean, I get why she and the other black inmates are so pissed off, they're friend just died senselessly due to uncaring rich people, but I wish they focused their anger more on the people who were actually acting cruelly, not Bailey, who was one of the few new guards at the prison who actually wasn't a psychopath. Really, that's one of the reasons the whole thing rings a little false to me, at least in what I think they're trying to do. If this was a story about how uncaring administrators and budget cuts killed an innocent woman and treated her death as a mild inconvenience, that would work just fine. And, that is the story to an extent, but they also seem to be trying to tie it into a Black Lives Matter thing, and its doesn't really fit in with that type of issue, exactly. Not to get too real or anything, and I'm certainly no expert on police brutality, especially against POC, but it seems like most of those situations really have a certain amount of racism and malicious intent, while we have never gotten any indication that Bailey had anything against POC (or anyone), and her death was so clearly a tragic accident. Its like they're explaining an event, but they're explaining it wrong, and that makes it frustrating, and makes the message garbled.

• Love 1