Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E24: He keʻu na ka ʻalae a Hina (A Croaking by Hina's Mudhen)

• Start Topic

Some questions:  Why was Grover being such a Negative Nancy, adamantly shooting down every possibility that the threat was credible? And then suddenly being the hero by figuring it out? Again, no HPD helicopter gunboat to cover the building rooftop? No one thought of diverting the airplane off its approach? Why didn't Steve just shoot the SOB in the first place instead of running across the roof to tackle him, risking 258 lives on the chance of questioning him later? And finally, a ground-to-air missile caused no more damage to the roof than a grease stain and a small fire?

No Danny tonight. Adam's marketing advice was spot on, whether for a business plan or a resume -- investors and employers don't waste time reading gimmicky presentations. A possible D.C. terrorist conspiracy? Shades of Designated Survivor!

• Love 3

Grover I never thought was a negative person. As really Steve's reckless behavior is going to cost him or others their lives. But will give him credit of never endangering the public. And placing himself in the line of duty. To protect those. Give him credit over on that. If Chin leaves and doubt he will, really I would stop watching the show. He is now my favorite character!

7 hours ago, Bobbin said:

Some questions:  Why was Grover being such a Negative Nancy, adamantly shooting down every possibility that the threat was credible? And then suddenly being the hero by figuring it out? Again, no HPD helicopter gunboat to cover the building rooftop? No one thought of diverting the airplane off its approach? Why didn't Steve just shoot the SOB in the first place instead of running across the roof to tackle him, risking 258 lives on the chance of questioning him later? And finally, a ground-to-air missile caused no more damage to the roof than a grease stain and a small fire?

No Danny tonight. Adam's marketing advice was spot on, whether for a business plan or a resume -- investors and employers don't waste time reading gimmicky presentations. A possible D.C. terrorist conspiracy? Shades of Designated Survivor!

As soon as I saw it I said those Captain Grover lines were actually Detective Williams lines but Scott Caan decided to take this week off. But then Officer Kono and Lieutenant Kelly were also giving the side eye.

As far as the twist I went further back to the follow up 24 seasons when the terrorist mastermind turned out to be POTUS and Jack Bauer's father

Is Hawaiian Airlines still a sponsor of this show?  The inset of their aircraft in the opening credits disappeared this season.  And yes, it's a random thought here but related to the plot at least for me....from what I've seen planes don't fly over buildings on approach to Honolulu airport.  They fly over the ocean with a view of Waikiki Beach.  Maybe flights from Japan or China come in that way?  I know there is absolutely no realism in this show other than the gorgeous scenery but standing on a rooftop seeing a flight come over just didn't seem right.  Perhaps Hawaiian Airlines could have told them that.

And yeah...I'm reduced to nitpicking at this level. 

If the threat was to an airplane carrying a military contingent, then why did the Gitmo terrorist warn Steve to evacuate everyone he cares about from the island of Oahu? Even if there is a D.C. Conspiracy, that is not so imminent as what Steve was warned about. 

I wish it were true, but hard-core terrorists do not become softies due to kindness. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh, the old, "Why are you asking if I have a warrant?" Because my civil right are legally protected under the law and you are obligated to conduct due process. 

But of course on tv, if you ask, you're guilty and the cops have every right to push themselves into your business.

I wish Mozzie would drop the hot-for-Kono routine. It's tired. His plot about having this business and actually doing something legit is interesting enough.

It is kind of ironic that Steve is the one treating the prisoner with dignity in the past, but on Five-0 present basically tramples all over civil rights. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Arkay said:

If the threat was to an airplane carrying a military contingent, then why did the Gitmo terrorist warn Steve to evacuate everyone he cares about from the island of Oahu?

Because the terrorist in Gitmo didn't know the specifics of the threat.

• Love 2

There is a potential major terrorist threat SOMEWHERE on Oahu with very little information and 5-0 doesn't feel it is necessary to contact, say, Homeland Security for a little manpower help?  Their little band of 4 or 5 can handle it, right?  I'm sure Steve and his merry band will be off to D.C. soon to stop the threat against the Capitol building all by themselves.  No need to contact the Federal government.

I really prefer it when they handle criminal activity, like bank robberies and human trafficking, not when they're running around the world capturing terrorists and spies.  

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, buckboard said:

There is a potential major terrorist threat SOMEWHERE on Oahu with very little information and 5-0 doesn't feel it is necessary to contact, say, Homeland Security for a little manpower help?  Their little band of 4 or 5 can handle it, right?  I'm sure Steve and his merry band will be off to D.C. soon to stop the threat against the Capitol building all by themselves.  No need to contact the Federal government.

I really prefer it when they handle criminal activity, like bank robberies and human trafficking, not when they're running around the world capturing terrorists and spies.  

I thought Steve said he did contact Homeland Security, but they had no intel/chatter on a threat to Oahu; so why would they offer assistance if they thought there was no threat?

Also, @Bobbin, I'm pretty sure I heard them talking about diverting the plane/the possibility of it, but I think they said it wasn't possible for some reason.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I'm pretty sure I heard them talking about diverting the plane/the possibility of it, but I think they said it wasn't possible for some reason.

Well, since they didn't even know a plane was involved until there was less than 30 minutes to go, I doubt they would have time to (a) notify the FAA/airport (b) convince them of the threat and then (c) divert the plane.

Naturally, Steve, he of the Room of Doom; Shark Cage Interrogration, Shooting the information out of a witness, was the kind and respectful interrogator at Guantanamo. "No, no, no. Enhanced Interrogation only works when the script calls for it."

Not to mention, isn't a massive terror threat on Oahu old hat for 5-0 at this point? "Oh, you're planning a massive terror threat? We safe detonated a dirty bomb weeks ago. No biggie"

• Love 3
(edited)
34 minutes ago, buckboard said:

Or nukes. The show has always been ridiculous, but when they try these plots it's beyond incredulous. There's plenty of crime stories you can tell based on Hawaii's unique location. 

I know DHS didn't have any intel on the threat. Which, great job DHS, but I would think given Five-0's rep that maybe they'd throw an agent their way anyway. It just makes DHS look inept. So, if it's nothing, then DHS tells Five-0 that they owe them one. 

I mean, blowing up the guy with the rocket.

San Francisco Treat mention!!!!

There's no way that Chin would be able to run a Five-0 in SF. He'd be slapped with a lawsuit before closing his first case. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 4

Sadly, I found the plot of the two guys sitting at a picnic table discussing a business plan more interesting than the one with four people running around trying to stop a terror attack.  At least there was an element of suspense with Adam and Hirsch.

I forgot that Kamekono is an ex-con.  Do we know where he got the money to get his business going?   And does he still have his heli?

Adam helping start-ups write business plans would be a good job for him.  Off-screen, though.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

Sadly, I found the plot of the two guys sitting at a picnic table discussing a business plan more interesting than the one with four people running around trying to stop a terror attack.  At least there was an element of suspense with Adam and Hirsch.

I forgot that Kamekono is an ex-con.  Do we know where he got the money to get his business going?   And does he still have his heli?

He may have had some of his criminal gains stashed away because he was Chin Ho's confidential informant. In the first season when Steve went on the run after being framed for murdering the Governor Kamekono had a hide out trailer full of illegal weapons ready to lend. Commander McGarrett flew his helicopter just a few episodes ago

Man if Steve didn't pointlessly blow that guy up they might have some better intel about what is going on.

Also if we are now into Homeland style inside government conspiracies, how did the Gitmo guy hear about it?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I forgot that Kamekono is an ex-con.  Do we know where he got the money to get his business going?  

They did a flashback about Chin and Kamekono's history, I don't know how long ago. IIRC, I thought Chin bought him a book about getting started in business or something, but I think I remember Kamekono telling Chin was starting a shave ice business because the water was free so there was low overhead. 

The show is just idiotic, and we all know this. There's a good story with Mozzie, who is a legit small business owner, Adam, who has had issues with his own employment, and Kamekono, who is actually running a successful food truck, talking about how it's stacked against ex-cons who actually are trying to move on, but aren't really allowed to. 

2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Sometimes I understand why Scott Caan wants to be away - that was cringe-worthy (except the Adam and Mozzie parts).

It is kind of hard for me to sympathize, even if this one was stupid. I mean it is not like the show started out as a Hawaiian version of The Wire and slowly turned into what we have now. Plus the original version of the show ran for 12 seasons,  plus it is a procedural on CBS. He should have had a pretty good idea what he was signing up for. And in this episode they didn't even bother coming up with a line for why he wasn't there. Honestly if making tons of money being on a successful show in a beautiful place like Hawaii is too much of a hardship for him he should just quit.

• Love 10

I don't think it's that, but being so far away from LA limits your employment options. I don't mind if actors agree to X out of 24 episodes per season. Any actor has a right to work as they see fit. 

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

I don't think it's that, but being so far away from LA limits your employment options. I don't mind if actors agree to X out of 24 episodes per season. Any actor has a right to work as they see fit. 

I agree.  Besides that they have so many people on the show they really don't get that much screen time.  In season 3 they added more characters and changed the dynamics of the show.  Since then there are so many different characters it's not like they can fit them all in.  He also has a child and his only living parent on the mainland so I don't blame him for wanting 5 episodes less a year.  They film 25 episodes a season so it's not like the whole 10-15 minutes of screen time he's given on a 42-45 minute show is a big deal.

7 hours ago, ganesh said:

I don't think it's that, but being so far away from LA limits your employment options.

Why is he looking for a job if he has a job?  (And a pretty good one, too.)

On 5/6/2017 at 1:36 PM, ganesh said:

It is kind of ironic that Steve is the one treating the prisoner with dignity in the past, but on Five-0 present basically tramples all over civil rights. 

Yes!!

On 5/6/2017 at 2:34 PM, Traveller519 said:

Naturally, Steve, he of the Room of Doom; Shark Cage Interrogration, Shooting the information out of a witness, was the kind and respectful interrogator at Guantanamo. "No, no, no. Enhanced Interrogation only works when the script calls for it."

Double yes!

• Love 1

Just because an actor is on a show doesn't mean that's all he does and that's that. Shows get cancelled. Actors need to have work. That's why they have agents looking for new opportunities while they're acting in whatever show they're currently on.

H Jon Benjamin is Archer. That doesn't mean he only gets to be Archer as long as the show is on. He's also on Bob's Burgers. 

Actors get and stay good playing a whole bunch of different characters. When Five-0 isn't filming, why shouldn't he be allowed to work? 

26 minutes ago, ganesh said:

When Five-0 isn't filming, why shouldn't he be allowed to work? 

But Five-O is filming.  That's my point.  Of course it's ok if actors on a tv show partake in other projects in between seasons (although that doesn't seem to be the case with Scott), but while the show is in production, I just think it's weird that he's allowed these episode absences.  It's unusual and uncommon, and I wonder what's behind it.  To me, being on a long-running tv show, having a steady gig and paycheck, and getting to do different things while on hiatus, is the goal and even the dream for most actors.  If that's not what Scott wants, I'm not sure why he signed his last contract.  More power to him if he negotiated a reduced role simply because he wants to work less or be in L.A. more, but again - it's unusual, and I wonder if it causes some resentment with  Alex or other cast members.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

If that's not what Scott wants, I'm not sure why he signed his last contract.  More power to him if he negotiated a reduced role simply because he wants to work less or be in L.A. more, but again - it's unusual, and I wonder if it causes some resentment with  Alex or other cast members.

That is sort of where I am at. I find it more than a little distracting the amount of times he is not there (and they have to make up a stupid excuse or like this episode not even bother) or if he is there he is off doing some boring b-story plot all by himself.  Saying Hawaii limits your employment options (if that is what he has said) just sounds like a nicer way of saying you wish you had a better job (because you wouldn't need other options if you were happy with what you had). And in reality Honolulu to LA is only about a 5 hour flight, about the same as New York to LA. Which is really why I think if he is not happy they should let him go or he should just quit. 

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That is sort of where I am at. I find it more than a little distracting the amount of times he is not there (and they have to make up a stupid excuse or like this episode not even bother) or if he is there he is off doing some boring b-story plot all by himself.  Saying Hawaii limits your employment options (if that is what he has said) just sounds like a nicer way of saying you wish you had a better job (because you wouldn't need other options if you were happy with what you had). And in reality Honolulu to LA is only about a 5 hour flight, about the same as New York to LA. Which is really why I think if he is not happy they should let him go or he should just quit. 

Exactly.  I don't think it has anything to do with employment.  I mean, he's employed!  And if you want more work, then hop on a plane!  And speaking of resentment, how do you think the production people who care about the show and work hard at it every week feel when a cast member asks to be written in less so he can find more or better work elsewhere.  Say what now?  (Calling Katherine Heigl).  That's why I think it's something else - probably something personal.

• Love 4

The actor and the TPTBs at the show and the network agreed on a contract. Appearing in 20 out of 25 episodes on a large ensemble show seems fairly reasonable.

I don't care how ridiculous it was... Steve taking that guy out with a rocket launcher was one of the most entertaining things I have seen on this show in a long time.  I know it's been done elsewhere, but it was awesome.  I froze my DVR and advanced it step by step to when I saw the exact moment the actor disappeared and the CGI kicked in.

I still really dislike the Judd Hirsch character and I find him exhausting.  The schtick with him constantly leering at Kono and thinking she returns his affections is just so very tired.   This episode we also got a mention of San Francisco Police Lady.  I know someone said we will see her in the season finale, and I think she is still working on another show, so now that we are getting a season 8, I wonder why they don't just not mention her like they not mention Steve's girlfriend (Deserted Island Lady with the bad blonde wig) or Danny's girlfriend. 

I didn't really follow the whole terrorist plot.  They wanted to destroy America, so they were going to detonate a bomb in Hawaii?  Out of all places, they thought bombing Hawaii would bring America to its knees?

16 hours ago, ganesh said:

Actors get and stay good playing a whole bunch of different characters. When Five-0 isn't filming, why shouldn't he be allowed to work? 

Of course, actors are in the business of acting.  Which is why TV actors that are on contract to a show sometimes show up in movies that they film while they aren't filming their TV show.  I think it's rare for actors to appear in multiple lead roles on different shows in the course of the same TV season.  I know it happens, but it's rare.  I also don't count animated shows, as these are easy for them, you sit in a room and can tape all your lines in one day.

The main difference is that Hawaii 5-0 is filmed on location.  I guess what I don't understand is that from his camp and the people who support him there's always seemingly this element of "oh poor Scott, his kid and his kid's mama is on the mainland".  When everything is his choice.  If his baby mama won't move his kid to Hawaii, and he feels like seeing his kid every day is more important to him than being on this show, then he is free to quit.  I also don't understand why he simply doesn't just fly to L.A. more often.  It's only a four hour flight.  I'm sure that in any given week of filming, he could ask production to arrange the shooting schedule so that all of his scenes could be shot in three days out of the week or so, and then he could maybe go to L.A. for 3 or 4 days that week.

It's not like he can't afford the flights.  Being in the entertainment industry means you have to accept some hardships if you want to reap the benefits.  I know there are singers on tour, when their family can't be on tour with them because of obligations (kids in school, etc.)  If there is a three day break between concerts, I know that sometimes they fly home, even if it's only for a day and a half, just to be with their family.

I guess I just have never understood how this man gets paid millions and can dictate that he doesn't want to be there all the time.  He's supposed to be one of the lead actors, so I don't think the "he's in a large ensemble" argument cuts it.  He is billed as a co-lead, and even though Steve, Danny, Kono, and Chin are all ostensibly billed as the co-leads, let's face it, the show has always been at core about Danny and Steve.  How can you have a show where the partner disappears 20% of the time with no explanation?

I agree with the sentiment upthread that all of Grover's particularly Negative Nancy lines (much more negative and whiny than Chin or Kono) were intended to be Danny lines.  And I noticed this episode they didn't even bother with trying to explain where Danny was (escorting cheerleaders to competition, visiting his mom, stuck in the toilet etc).  That's particularly glaring, considering that the previous episode, he had this very heartfelt reflection about his life and job and how he got to where he is.

• Love 3

I still really dislike the Judd Hirsch character and I find him exhausting.

I guess Willie Garson has morphed into Judd Hirsch due to all of the Superior Donuts promos that we are forced to watch if you don't record/skip the ads. I know that I'm learning a lot about drugs by watching all of the pharmaceutical commercials. I will say that most of the side effects seem worse than the actual condition. But, in the spirit of Blackwing's comment, I do prefer Garson's character when he is being a weasel and not a Lothario. I'm wondering how they might handle the season finale next week in terms of trying to work in all of the recurring or semi-recurring characters? Looking forward to Season 8 already.

• Love 2

I think Judd Hirsch played his father in one episode.

Of course Steve was a guard at Guantanamo Bay. Of Course. I'm not even going to bother looking up whether or not they use SEALs as Gitmo guards because reality has nothing to do with the plot anymore.

Garson's character is named Gerard Hirsch.

I do agree that his crush on Kono is overboard.  If a 13-year old was making goo goo eyes at her in front of her husband it would be one thing, but his behavior is disrespectful to Adam.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, GustheCat said:

But, in the spirit of Blackwing's comment, I do prefer Garson's character when he is being a weasel and not a Lothario.

When he's Hawaii Mozzie, he's at his best. And Mozzie is smart enough to know Kono isn't into him. 

21 minutes ago, SweetTooth said:

This thing where Chin wants to marry the San Francisco Treat might have been heartwarming and lovely if we'd seen the progression of the relationship!

Just because the San Francisco Treat. 

35 minutes ago, SweetTooth said:

The women on this show are treated so well, aren't they? Dispensable creatures trotted out only when the plot calls for them. Kono gets a boyfriend/husband? He's a huge part of the show. Girlfriends? Psssh. 

So true, they're only shown for eye candy.  Fortunately most of the actresses that appear on here find work on other shows.  They've finally figured out they'll only be used at the writer's whim and they make the scripts up as they go along so no need to wait for another guest appearance.

Here's what I think happened. They hired Steve for the job, because he was usually notorious for denying everyone's civil rights. So, he was probably mad at that commander dude and decided to flip the script and become Compassionate Man, thus pissing off the dude.

Once that was done, he was given his own team, because they were convinced Steve now respected civil rights. Little did they know! Steve managed to get full immunity for all of his behavior. He can trample on civil rights and smirk at and beat up anyone who even mentions the word lawyer or rights or being treated like a human.

Thus, his evil plan is now complete.

This was funny and it did seem out of character for an impatient man that went as far as to hang a man by his ankles over the roof of a tall building in an earlier season.

53 minutes ago, SweetTooth said:

As for Scott, I'm sorry, but Steve/Danno is iconic. He's making enough money to feed a small nation, and he's like, "But MEEEEEEE!" And what are they going to do? They've already hired him. He's an essential part of the show. He's a known name. He knew he had them over a barrel, and he was right.

Yeah, I can't hate the kid that grew up in Hollywood and knows how to play the game.  They chew up actors and spit them out like they're nothing.  One minute they're the new up and coming star, the next they're a has been that is reduced to doing guest appearances in crap movies, weekly television shows, and soap operas.  I remember Sharon Stone saying she knew she was rock bottom when she was on weekly network show putting on a cheap pair of Legg's pantyhose you could buy at the local grocery store.

5 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

Speaking of that, I've been watching Lauren German on Lucifer, and I LOVE her on the show. So it was most definitely the H5-0 female curse that must have been the reason I couldn't stand her on the show. 

It also helps they actually try and make her look like a cop  and not a fashion model.

Lauren German was one of the best things about early Chicago Fire - I couldn't believe how much I liked her on that show (as opposed to here). Glad to hear she's found a new home at Lucifer. As for Grover's wife being absent: Michelle Hurd scored a bigger gig on Blindspot as the main villain, good for her.

Caan and his negotiation tactics might be impressive and I don't mind not having Danny in every episode. But I find his top-billing in the credits disrespectful to the other actors who actually show up for the job almost every episode. He's just a glorified semi-regular at this point. But if he gets away with it good for him too. (Being European I'm not that impressed by his surname but apparently it still carries a lot of clout in Hollywood.)

Judd Hirsch was never on this show - although you'd think he would make a perfect Dad for Garson's character (and he's Hollywood's go-to Dad). Leo Hirsch was played by Elliott Gould.

Here's what I think happened. They hired Steve for the job, because he was usually notorious for denying everyone's civil rights. So, he was probably mad at that commander dude and decided to flip the script and become Compassionate Man, thus pissing off the dude.

That sounds about right and makes an amazing amount of sense.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

Yeah. He definitely knows how to play the game, for sure. I just know there are starving actors who would give their left leg to get a high-paying gig on a multi-season show that films in an island paradise. 

The funny thing about the "need to be available for other work" thing is that I am not sure this show is holding Caan back from being more famous. It is not like he had to turn down the role of Star Lord to play Danno or something.  Danno is probably going to be the biggest role of his career. I mean of the Ocean's 11 crew the only ones less famous than him are the acrobat guy (who isn't an actor) and the computers guy.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The funny thing about the "need to be available for other work" thing is that I am not sure this show is holding Caan back from being more famous. It is not like he had to turn down the role of Star Lord to play Danno or something.  Danno is probably going to be the biggest role of his career. I mean of the Ocean's 11 crew the only ones less famous than him are the acrobat guy (who isn't an actor) and the computers guy.

I have been tempted to google and see what over stuff that he has done the last four years or so with his extra time off

3 hours ago, Raja said:

I have been tempted to google and see what over stuff that he has done the last four years or so with his extra time off

Hah.  I had already done it for you.  In the past several years, he has credits listed for three movies that I have never heard of.  No other TV show appearances except for the NCIS LA crossover episode.  That's it.  So the argument that "he needs to be in L.A. to make himself available for other work" is bupkis.

I agree that he shouldn't be billed as the co-lead if he can't even commit to wanting to be on the show full time.  I have said it before, but I really feel that Grover should be more of the regular partner for Steve, and Danny can do those fill-in roles.  Every time Grover and Steve have been partnered up, I feel like they make a great team.  It's great seeing Steve in a car with someone else and not hearing him arguing.  More Grover please.

• Love 5
(edited)
21 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Of course Steve was a guard at Guantanamo Bay. Of Course

Those scenes were not at Gitmo.  The dialogue at the end made it clear that was the detainee's eventual destination.

Edited by Magnumfangirl
On 5/6/2017 at 7:18 AM, Brian Cronin said:

Man, are we seriously at the point where the "heroes" are saying, "You want to see a warrant? You must be guilty then!"?

Obviously!!!

On 5/6/2017 at 0:49 PM, Arkay said:

I wish it were true, but hard-core terrorists do not become softies due to kindness. 

Actually, that's the one part of this story that did ring true.  Ahmed Rassen, one of the 9/11 conspirators was held by the FBI for a while.  By treating him with kindness and respect, they were able to get a ton of information. (Much of the infamous "Bin Ladin Determined To Strike in US." Daily Brief came from him).  The conspirators in held by the CIA were tortured and gave up nothing.

On 5/6/2017 at 1:36 PM, ganesh said:

I wish Mozzie would drop the hot-for-Kono routine. It's tired. His plot about having this business and actually doing something legit is interesting enough.

Yeah, he's fun (much more so than Jerry) but they need to drop that crap.

On 5/6/2017 at 2:54 PM, ganesh said:

There's no way that Chin would be able to run a Five-0 in SF. He'd be slapped with a lawsuit before closing his first case.

So true.  Much more so than most other cities.

• Love 1

When Coughlin offered Chin to run a similar task force in SF, I thought back to the pilote episode. When Chin first met with Steve and told him he feels like he owes John McGarrett, he said something about Danny running the investigation and having no clue how this island works. One of Chin's biggest assets is really knowing how the island works. He could have Abby for that in SF but would that really work? He'd be the one calling the shots but every single decision would've to be consulted... 

Anyway, I don't think he's leaving, just saying that it seems like a strange move from Coughlin...

On 5/6/2017 at 4:18 AM, Brian Cronin said:

Man, are we seriously at the point where the "heroes" are saying, "You want to see a warrant? You must be guilty then!"?

That's been the subtext for most police procedurals for many years (along with "you don't need a lawyer if you don't have anything to hide.") I love my procedurals, but that bugs each time.

On 5/6/2017 at 9:49 AM, Arkay said:

If the threat was to an airplane carrying a military contingent, then why did the Gitmo terrorist warn Steve to evacuate everyone he cares about from the island of Oahu? Even if there is a D.C. Conspiracy, that is not so imminent as what Steve was warned about.

Yep, Steve manifests the milk of human kindness, except back in his own personal torture chamber. I had to laugh at this scene.

On 5/8/2017 at 7:17 PM, SweetTooth said:

The women on this show are treated so well, aren't they? Dispensable creatures trotted out only when the plot calls for them. Kono gets a boyfriend/husband? He's a huge part of the show. Girlfriends? Psssh.

Well, there was that one girlfriend of Steve's (Katherine?) who had as much airtime as Adam. I kind of liked her - mostly because she had a relevant and related job, and I could tell her apart from all the other vacuously pretty women they've hired as girlfriends.

When it came to the final "reveal," I just sighed and rolled my eyes. I don't watch shows like Homeland because I don't like to watch stuff directly related to actual current events/news. There's enough drama in the real world in regards to this new plot - one unlikely to come up with a clean solution 5-0 can go with. No thanks.

11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Yep, Steve manifests the milk of human kindness, except back in his own personal torture chamber. I had to laugh at this scene.

I'd say he goes for torture when he feels pressured for time because more lives are in danger (or if someone close to him is in danger, like when Cath's cover was nearly compromised). When children are kidnapped, a bomb is loose on the island and stuff like that. In other cases, he can be kind. Remember the beginning of season 4? CIA wanted to torture Rafael Salgado to find out the exact target of San Francisco attack but Steve and Danny decided to make a deal instead, and get his kid back. Or the episode when a guy killed his girlfriend's father and run away with her because she manipulated him - he tried to stop SWAT from killing him in the fight; and there was another similar case when he told HPD to step back but wasn't there in time. 

All in all, I wouldn't say this was so out of line for this character. IMO from the beginning he was meant to come out as someone who can be ruthless but cares first about people and then about operations.

Well, there was that one girlfriend of Steve's (Katherine?) who had as much airtime as Adam. I kind of liked her - mostly because she had a relevant and related job, and I could tell her apart from all the other vacuously pretty women they've hired as girlfriends.

Yeah, I actually think they should pair Steve with someone who has a relevant job, be it Catherine or someone new. It was Catherine who once said to him (when he didn't want to come home before closing the case) "this is who we are, job always comes first". No matter how much airtime they give her, he'll never be able to really bond with a girl who has no clue what the job is about. 

But as far as girlfriends go, or ex-wives, I also like Rachel. She wasn't given that much airtime but she stands out from the group of Lynns, Gabis and Melissas. The scenes with Steve and Danny in her house in the first season were kind of fun. 

• Love 1