Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E24: He keʻu na ka ʻalae a Hina (A Croaking by Hina's Mudhen)

• Start Topic

(edited)
13 minutes ago, ganesh said:

In the flashback though, Steve said torture doesn't work. I think that's why people here are rolling their eyes. 

Exactly. Besides, if torture doesn't work (per Steve) when the need isn't urgent (evidenced by them taking their time to starve the guy), why would it work when it is? So that doesn't really excuse any of his past (or future, in the context of the Gitmo scene) actions.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Exactly. Besides, if torture doesn't work (per Steve) when the need isn't urgent (evidenced by them taking their time to starve the guy), why would it work when it is? So that doesn't really excuse any of his past (or future, in the context of the Gitmo scene) actions.

Sorry, I didn't catch the "torture doesn't work" thing, that does sound funny coming from Steve. If that's the case, you're right, time pressure shouldn't matter. 

• Love 1
(edited)

This is my whole problem with this episode.  It was pushing a political agenda instead of telling a story that fits the characters that they have created.  Steve and the rest of the team are not above using dubious methods to get info that they need.  The entire freaking  show is based around that concept!  

Edited by Magnumfangirl
  • Love 3
On 5/8/2017 at 9:42 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

I think Judd Hirsch played his father in one episode.

Of course Steve was a guard at Guantanamo Bay. Of Course. I'm not even going to bother looking up whether or not they use SEALs as Gitmo guards because reality has nothing to do with the plot anymore.

Hirsch's father was actually played by Elliott Gould.

On 5/8/2017 at 10:17 PM, SweetTooth said:

The women on this show are treated so well, aren't they? Dispensable creatures trotted out only when the plot calls for them. Kono gets a boyfriend/husband? He's a huge part of the show. Girlfriends? Psssh. 

This thing where Chin wants to marry the San Francisco Treat might have been heartwarming and lovely if we'd seen the progression of the relationship!

Alas, the last time we saw her was...oh, who the hell knows? The women are only extensions of the men. Hell, we haven't even seen Grover's wife in decades.

Here's what I think happened. They hired Steve for the job, because he was usually notorious for denying everyone's civil rights. So, he was probably mad at that commander dude and decided to flip the script and become Compassionate Man, thus pissing off the dude.

Once that was done, he was given his own team, because they were convinced Steve now respected civil rights. Little did they know! Steve managed to get full immunity for all of his behavior. He can trample on civil rights and smirk at and beat up anyone who even mentions the word lawyer or rights or being treated like a human.

Thus, his evil plan is now complete.

There's a cute joke, and then there's hitting you over the head with it. Let's hope now that Adam helped him out, Mozzie will shut up about Kono, because WE GET IT.

As for Scott, I'm sorry, but Steve/Danno is iconic. He's making enough money to feed a small nation, and he's like, "But MEEEEEEE!" And what are they going to do? They've already hired him. He's an essential part of the show. He's a known name. He knew he had them over a barrel, and he was right.

I think the last time we saw Renee Grover was probably back in S6. With that role, the actress (Michelle Hurd) was juggling 3 different roles on 3 different shows for this current S7. She was also in Ash vs. Evil on Starz & she had what sounded like a pretty big storyline in Blindspot on NBC, where I think she played a "big bad", as Peter Lenkov likes to call his villains, & she even had to do some location filming for that show in Thailand. I guess all involved thought Mrs. Grover was her most dispensable role of the 3 & they may not have wanted to recast if the actress has good chemistry with Chi McBride. Besides, it's not like Mrs. Grover was introduced at the same time as Mr. Grover or the kids; they didn't even cast their son until this season or last (S6).

On 5/9/2017 at 9:13 AM, Raja said:

I have been tempted to google and see what over stuff that he has done the last four years or so with his extra time off

Besides the IMDB stuff @blackwing mentioned, among other things Scott's also a published & produced playwright (2 of his plays were produced at the local LA theatre owned by the late Garry Marshall during the hiatuses between S2 & S3 & S5 & S6--or whichever hiatus was the same as when his almost 3 year-old daughter was born). And he teaches acting classes with his friend, Val Lauren (who was in the S1 finale--the guy who helped set up McGarrett & got his eyes pepper sprayed in the military surplus store); they were teaching at Playhouse West but right now they're teaching at a facility owned by actor James Franco. And he's also a published photographer with 2 books of his photos to his credit. He also recently participated in a fundraiser for A Walk on Water, a charity he's heavily involved with which teaches surfing (another passion of Scott's) to children with disabilities, & Scott himself is out there teaching them when he can. So he has legitimate stuff to occupy him during his time off of H50 (besides family & other loved ones).

On 5/11/2017 at 8:06 PM, Clanstarling said:

That's been the subtext for most police procedurals for many years (along with "you don't need a lawyer if you don't have anything to hide.") I love my procedurals, but that bugs each time.

When police or the DA threaten a man with prison rape ("A good-looking guy like you won't last long in there" and the like), I would love for the suspect to sue them for attempted assault.  That standard bit of crap in all the procedurals makes me want to hurl.. or to hurl something... or both.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:37 AM, ganesh said:

In the flashback though, Steve said torture doesn't work. I think that's why people here are rolling their eyes. 

Virtually every expert on interrogation has said that torture doesn't work.  The person will tell you want he thinks you want to hear, not the truth.  See my comment above about the FBI vs the CIA.

• Love 2

No on is arguing that torture doesn't work. Steve et al. in the present are torturing their way all across the island, so having him say it doesn't work in a flashback is basically a joke.

On 5/12/2017 at 1:34 PM, Magnumfangirl said:

This is my whole problem with this episode.  It was pushing a political agenda instead of telling a story that fits the characters that they have created.  Steve and the rest of the team are not above using dubious methods to get info that they need.  The entire freaking  show is based around that concept!  

Which is essentially what she's saying here. 

23 hours ago, ganesh said:

No on is arguing that torture doesn't work. Steve et al. in the present are torturing their way all across the island, so having him say it doesn't work in a flashback is basically a joke.

I definitely think we're all in agreement on both parts of this.

• Love 1